[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 55 KB, 640x619, tomb_raider_2_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2661581 No.2661581 [Reply] [Original]

Maybe /vr/ can help me with something. I never understood the save format used by the classic Tomb Raider trilogy. If you go back and select a level you've previously beaten, it looks like the game starts you off with as much ammo and as many medipacks as you've collected up until that specific level. What happens if you go back to a previous level and pick up ammo or a medipack that you missed? Does that update your subsequent progress in future levels? What if you use a medipack, then repeat that level, recollect it, and save your data?

>> No.2662257

My experience:
I beat the 1st level of the 1st game on the 1st playstation. Not the toot oriole.
There are 7 medpacks in the 1st level. I used 1 because I was low helth + scared a wolf would jump out and bite me rite in the pussy.

I started level 2 with 6 medpacks. It turns out that you automatically begin with full health at the start of a level.

I decided to redo level 1 without wasting a medpack. I loaded level 1, beat it, and saved.
When I loaded level 2 I had 7 medpacks.

>> No.2662528

>>2661581
Pretty sure the level saves are simply hard saves at the start of the level, the same as if you made them manually in any other PC game, only the game makes them as soon as the previous level is completed. It only keeps one for each level, so your Level 2 Start save was overwritten.

If you played up through level 5, then decided to replay level 1, your Level 2 Start save would get overwritten again when you beat level 1, but the 3-5 starts would be untouched. There is no cascading update.

>> No.2662537

>>2662528
btw I know I said "any other PC game" but I understand you are talking about the PS1 version. The PC version, in fact, doesn't make automatic saves at the start of each level. If you want to replay an earlier level, you're out of luck if you didn't make them yourself.

>> No.2662540

>>2662257
Also:
1) Don't stress about medpacks. Unless you really suck, you will have plenty.
2) That's how wolves and dogs say hello, don't be rude.