[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 11 KB, 1024x500, img[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2634529 No.2634529 [Reply] [Original]

Where does difficulty fit in with how fondly you remember old games?

>> No.2634539

>>2634529
Depends whether or not I beat the game.

>> No.2635281

>>2634529
I tend to find Difficult games leave a bigger mark in my memory, than Easy games. Beating the final boss/level in a Hard game just feels like such an achievement to remember. Where as beating the final boss/level for the 50th time in an easy game usually does nothing for me, even if I enjoyed it.

>> No.2635298

Only if the games were difficult to understand. My poor understanding of english stopped me from enjoying quite a few point and click adventure games that I otherwise would probably love. Otherwise I didn't really play games to complete them like I do now. It didn't matter if I got far or not, just playing through the first few levels was always fun.

>> No.2635361

>>2634529
There's no really a correlation, because I actually appreciate difficult a lot more now than I did as a kid. I played on Easy all the time, occasionally used Game Genie for infinite lives, and really wasn't into super challenging stuff. I'm still not very hardcore, but I see the appeal in a well-designed challenge.

So it doesn't have much to do with fond memories. Instead I look back and say "hmm, this is actually a decent arcade-style game, I should try to master it someday."

>> No.2635376

For me it'd be more about how easy the game started. This does mean difficulty, but things like controls, length of time to really get into the game and how easy it is to understand what you should do.

Enjoyable/easier first (or early) levels are probably key

>> No.2636139

I don't really understand the question. As a kid I never went into a game expecting to beat it. It was a long time before I beat any Mario, and a weekend rental, forget it. I don't think my first weekend victory came until Mega Man X. I distinctly remember beating it and it was a huge deal. Beyond that I just figured all games were balls hard so I'd just mess around in the early levels over and over because even though it's repetitive, as a kid it was a whole new experience from the games I owned so it was still really entertaining. I remember renting Rocketeer and playing that first level 100 times, not even with the goal to beat it, just to find enough gas cans or whatever that would let me fly around for a few seconds. That was fun.

>> No.2638165

>>2636139
Are the best classic games the ones that gave you the most challenge?

Simple as.