[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 86 KB, 640x400, chryssalid_1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2631253 No.2631253 [Reply] [Original]

XCom thred

>> No.2631649

Fuggin' Chryssalids.

>> No.2631692

daily reminder to strap your rookies with two primed hi-ex in case of chryssalids

>> No.2631709

>>2631692
I've never needed to do that. At least if the terror mission is during daytime, Chryssalids rarely give me much trouble even on Superhuman. y. Travel in packs and you'll be pretty safe. And once you have Blaster Launchers, Snakeman terror sites are almost ridiculously easy.

Nighttime terror sites before you have BLs or Flying Suits can be quite nasty though.

>> No.2631715

Ethereals are far worse than Chryssalids, it's just that they're pretty rarely encountered (often you won't see any Ethereals until Cydonia) so don't have the same "reputation".

>> No.2632178

>>2631715
also the fact that you can easily face snakemen completely unprepared during an early terror mission, while at etheral stage you're usually shooting them all down

>> No.2632807

>>2632178
Snakemen never do terror missions earlier than April by which time you should damn well be prepared.

>> No.2632809

>>2632178
>while at etheral stage you're usually shooting them all down
This has the slightly worrisome problem of potentially causing Ethereals to retaliate against your bases. Which is inconceivably gay when it happens.

>> No.2633000

-

>> No.2633183

I watch Kikoskia's LP and he shoots down every UFO he sees. I'm not as trigger happy as some LPers - a lot of times I prefer to let them land so I can get Elerium and avoiding retaliation missions. His LP has tons of retaliation attacks due to shooting down any and all UFOs.

>> No.2633936

>lose 7 dudes on a fucking Floater terror mission of all things

Oh well, I swallowed it and didn't reload my save file and try again.

>> No.2634074

>>2633183
Also I thought that retaliation missions are always the same alien race who's shit you shot down, but after watching his LP turns out I was wrong; the game picks the aliens randomly. So if you shoot down a Sectoid UFO, the retaliation mission might be Snakemen or something.

>> No.2634376

>>2633183
That dude has some of the shittiest tactics I've ever seen.

>> No.2634398

>>2634376
Also he's too chicken to take on a landed Muton Battleship in his LP. Come on, there's not even any psionics or difficult terrorists on there.

>> No.2635619

-

>> No.2636027

>Sectoids raid my base
>follow strategy I saw in LPs of hocking proximity grenades at the access lift
Fuck, that was intense. I think I had a couple of angina attacks, but I'm ok now.

>> No.2636192

just destroyed my first alien base
only 2 of 14 survived and i think they deserve their own names now
Any ideas ?

>> No.2636206

>>2636192
That base had better have been Sectoids. If you lost all but two guys on a Floater base, you need to reevaluate your tactics.

>> No.2636218

>take out Superhuman Sectoid Battleship
>at night
The trick is to let them use two of your soldiers as psy sponges. I also walked into the entrance lift and spotted four (!) Cyberdiscs up there all clustered around the grav lift. Shoot one and everybody else goes with it.

I've been getting incredibly lucky with this run. The aliens on the base defense didn't have any Blaster Launchers and neither did the ones on this Battleship. Normally a Battleship crew will have a couple of them, but the game randomizer has been working in my favor.

>> No.2636259

>>2636206
It was snakeman and Chryssalids
Still i need to reevaluate my tactics anyway, losing so many good soldiers is painful

>> No.2636290

Is it possible to get funding again from countries that made secret pact with aliens ?

>> No.2636312

>>2636259
More understandable.

>>2636290
Nope. If you're doing everything right however, most of your income will come from manufacturing laser cannons and selling surplus alien crap. Also Russia is un-infiltratable so you'll always have them as a funding nation.

>> No.2636320

Another cheat trick you can do is to sack all of your scientists at the end of the month and then when the new month starts, rehire them. That way you get out of paying their salaries. :^)

>> No.2636327

>>2636320
But hiring scientists costs the same amount as their salary, anon.

>> No.2636328

Just got wrecked on a floater base defense mission. It was an auxillary base with 4 soldiers as reserve forces -- but I never gave them anything better than auto cannons and it's like September. Oops. Fortunately my engineers are making enough money now that losing a (non-main) base is a minor inconvenience.

>> No.2636330

If a Battleship is crewed by Floaters, Snakemen, or Mutons, you can just line your guys up around the entrance lift and hock proximity grenades at the doors. Any alien that comes out will get blown up and survivors get shot with reaction fire. This doesn't work with Sectoids and Ethereals though.

>> No.2636338

Supply Ships are vastly more annoying than Battleships even with no terrorists or Blaster Launchers on them. I especially hate when the Skyranger is on the opposite side of the UFO meaning you have to hike around the sides to get to the doors. The layout of Supply Ships is also hell and requires extensive proximity grenade use to beat.

>> No.2636345

What's the best item for your engineers to manufacture and sell? I'm doing mind probes for now.

>> No.2636349

>>2636345
Laser cannons. They sell for like $200,000 a piece.

>> No.2636351

Mind probes sell for more money but I wouldn't manufacture them because alien tech other than alloys needs valuable Elerium to produce.

>> No.2636456

Weren't medkits THE product to sell?

>> No.2636554

Does everyone else use Vanilla XCom or OpenXCom?

>> No.2636578

>>2636456
Laser cannons bring the most money compared with their cost of manufacture.

>> No.2636584

Floater/Snakeman/Muton bases you may want to just leave untouched so you can milk their Supply Ships for easy Elerium and cash.

>> No.2636827

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCYuuc8lLY

The fuck mang. Who tries to take out a Sectoid Battleship with only three guys? Seriously.

>> No.2637270

>>2632809

I like to bait them into attacking a base full of nothing but plasma defences and a grav shield. They'll just batter themselves against it forever and ignore my other bases.

>> No.2637869

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J35ZkR4iX6M&index=55&list=PLD91BACF0E36EE427

I'd have just shot that thing into the ocean. Ethereals on anything bigger than a Medium Scout aren't worth it.

>> No.2637881

>>2637869
Reminds me of this one time I lost half my squad doing a Sectoid Supply Ship. Turned out that the leader was hiding behind a chair in the command center mind controlling everyone.

>> No.2637893

Ahh, x-com, I love this game. 1994 was a great year for vidya.

Here are some changes to the dos-box config you can use to vastly improve performance. This is for the steam version but I'm sure you can figure it out otherwise

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom UFO Defense\dosbox.conf

change the following lines from their original settings to:

fullscreen=false (*change to false unless you want to play in fullscreen*)
fullresolution= (*enter whatever your preferred resolution is in the format "800x600"*)
windowresolution= (*enter whatever your preferred resolution is in the format "800x600"*)
output=ddraw
cycles=auto limit 16000
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=10

Game runs sooooo much nicer. Silky smooth instead of clunky. A lot more enjoyable.

>> No.2637929

Game I was playing the other day I tried to bag a Sectoid leader from a Terror Ship. Guess what happened? He went into one of those side rooms with the hole in the floor...and it turned out that there was a Cyberdisc in there as well. The only thing I could do was send one soldier on a kamikaze mission to shoot the Cyberdisc, blowing himself and the leader up.

These aliens were pretty tenacious; after I cleared the UFO, there was one Cyberdisc remaining outside and two more Sectoids. One of them survived two soldiers auto-shotting him, yet managed to bean one of them with perfect accuracy (of course). I sent another guy around the other end of the UFO and he managed to kill the alien with a fantastically lucky snap shot. Lost seven dudes on this mission. There are few things I loathe more than Sectoid terror ships.

>> No.2637940

>>2637869
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEUuK4-5Gxg&list=PLD91BACF0E36EE427&index=61

That Floater with a Blaster Launcher...looks like the commander, right? Well he stuns it and ends up with nothing but an engineer. Which happens from time to time. Sometimes alien bases don't have any power station in which case the engineer is just wandering around in some random location.

>> No.2637943

>>2636312
The Russia thing, do you know if there's anything similar in TFTD?

I've beat it a couple times but I've never noticed

>> No.2637951

>>2637943
I'm not sure if Russia being immune to infiltration is an intentional feature or a bug caused by the fact that Russia spans two regions (Europe and Siberia). Note also that infiltration missions never occur in Siberia.

>> No.2637959

>>2637929
>The only thing I could do was send one soldier on a kamikaze mission to shoot the Cyberdisc, blowing himself and the leader up.
Shoulda spammed stun bombs, anon.

>> No.2637961

>>2637940
Ethereal: Oh great mother Brain. We have some bad news.
Brain: What happened? That shipment of cow carcasses had better not be late again.
Ethereal: It seems the humans have captured a Floater commander and interrogated him. They now know about our HQ here on Mars. This is not good.
Brain: Dammit. It's always a Floater commander.

>> No.2637963

>>2637959
I didn't have stun launchers, besides even if I knocked out the leader there was no way I could retrieve him from the room without taking point-blank plasma fire from that Cyberdisc.

>> No.2638141

I just played an Ethereal terror mission. For the 6th time in a row. All previous attempts resulted in my squad being totally decimated in under 10 turns. The best is when your commander gets shot from like halfway across the map by a mind controlled squaddie.

On this last attempt, I happened to get like 7-8 or something aliens surrounding the Skyranger which meant that I was able to wipe out at least half the total alien force. Risky it was having soldiers tripping over each other to get a shot, but somehow it worked. Still took casualties though. My captain got shot in the back of the head and was wounded for 28 days. Four soldiers died and one more guy went MIA because he was still mind controlled at the end of the mission. That was the absolute best I could have done.

>> No.2638147

Best way to deal with Ethereals is to give your known psy weaklings auto cannons with HE ammo which shouldn't do much harm to soldiers in power/flying suits. And try to kill as many aliens as you can as fast as possible. As for Sectopods...first, they hate lasers. Second, their rear armor is extremely thin compared to the front side. A grenade blast won't take them out even at ground zero, but should do enough damage that laser/plasma fire will finish them off.

The best part however is that Sectopods really hate stun bombs. If you knock them out with a Small Launcher, they'll stay out for the rest of the mission.

>> No.2638149

>>2638147
Even better, have your soldiers drop their weapons at the end of the turn, especially if they're known to be a psy weakling. Don't worry about losing reaction fire; it's a small price to pay for survival of your squad.

>> No.2638154

I'm trying a Superhuman no reload/savescum challenge and have just finished February. Of course I haven't yet encountered anything but Sectoids/Floaters which doesn't sound hard, but last terror mission I was getting rushed off the bat by Reapers.

>> No.2638158

>>2638154
Here's the thing. Reapers really hate explosive/incendiary ammo. A few auto cannon HE rounds or rockets will quickly flatten them.

>> No.2638162

Sectoid terror sites are something awful. Especially when they surround the landing zone. Still not even as bad as a Sectoid Terror Ship. Those are just a whole 'nother level of fail and AIDS. I've never beaten a Sectoid Terror Ship without a minimum six casualties.

>> No.2638167

>>2638162
You haven't even seen the worst. I shot down an Ethereal Terror Ship and for my best efforts, it was hopeless. This was in farmland during daytime. I tried. Lord, I did try. Even with abusing savescumming, it was no good. My crack officers in Flying Suits all kept getting mind controlled or going berserk and killing everyone.

I'm thinking it would have been a better idea to shoot the UFO down in the desert where they'd have no cover to hide in. That or equip the mental weaklings with laser pistols.

>> No.2638169

>>2638162
Ethereals at least don't show up until you have Flying Suits/Blaster Bombs, but fuck it when the first terror mission in January turns out to be Sectoids. At night. When my soldiers still have no armor.

>> No.2638175

I always have all laser weapons by the first terror site, so generally not a problem although on Superhuman it takes an average of 5-6 shots to down a Cyberdisc.

TBH, I don't have too many problems with Ethereals seeing as to how I tend to only encounter them late in the game when I have psy-trained soldiers. Sectopods are almost unkillable though unless you catch them with their backside facing you. I usually mind control one segment so the others attack it or else Blaster Bomb them.

>> No.2638182

I managed to beat an Ethereal terror site in only two attempts, but what I did was only arm the guys with high psy strength (with laser rifles for ease of taking out Sectopods). The psy weaklings all just got laser pistols (if psy strength between 65-75) or no weapons at all (if psy strength below 65). That way they're completely harmless if mind controlled.

>> No.2638191

Just remember. The bigger terror units (Cyberdiscs, Sectopods, and Reapers) never get up again once you knock them out. Stun bombs are quite handy for this purpose. It doesn't always work, but when it does you never have to worry about them for the remainder of the mission.

Even better, if a bunch of Sectopods are in a cluster, one stun bomb can often knock out the whole group. If one shot doesn't work, try again. Also kneel for better accuracy so you don't waste stun bombs. Even better than a Blaster Bomb and doesn't demolish one quarter of the map.

>> No.2638196

>>2638191
Since you can only MC one segment of the "big" terror units, doing so will cause the other segments to attack the part you're controlling, which is hilarious to watch.

>> No.2638202

If you MC civilians during a terror mission, they're counted as aliens once the MC wears off and you have to kill them. However, this can be exploited in that a MC-ed civilian may be used as an expendable scout.

>> No.2638207

Ok guise, I started a new game of UFO Defense a few weeks ago and I was kind of rusty. It's September now and I'm getting nothing but Mutons, including a retaliation battleship that destroyed an undefended auxiliary base before I could blink. Could sure go for a nice easy Floater mission, but they're not showing up anymore.

>> No.2638213

The first time I played against Ethereals it was on the Amiga 500 version, where alien mind control was permanent (probably a bug). I went in with two tanks and as many soldiers as I could fit into Skyranger. I came back with one man and one tank, both virtually dead. The man was my favourite soldier who pretty much took them all out, also killed most of his comrades. The last guy dead was one of mine, he was the prober who sat in the back of Skyranger, I drove the tank back there and rocketed him. But it was pretty harsh you lost a guy when he got controlled.

Later on, I went after an Ethereal base in the US. I took something like twenty blaster bombs (wasn't taking any chances whatsoever). There wasn't much left of that base once I got done with it..

>> No.2638221

Just remember that plasma weapons do approximately 80% of their rated damage to Sectopods. For comparison, laser weapons do 150% of their rated damage to them.

>> No.2638227

On Superhuman, Sectopods have high enough stats that it's hard to kill them even with lasers. I'd just say fuck it and use blaster bombs on them.

>> No.2638228

Ok yeah but on terror sites you gotta worry about negative scores for killing civilians if you go too nuts with BBs, as fun as they are to use.

>> No.2638241

So, TFTD is soon becoming part of Open Xcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxYy79v5seo

Looks pretty nice, definately watch out for this!

>> No.2638298

>tfw got openxcom working on my loonix rig

time to burn some aliums!

>> No.2638531 [DELETED] 

On my current game, I'm dealing with a huge Sectoid infiltration fleet. On Lord Finisher's LP, he took out the Terror Ship, Supply Ship, and both Battleships in that order. I've tried to copy this strategy, but I don't think I can pull it off because he was playing on Beginner. My whole 30 man force would get depleted too fast as I'm on Superhuman.

I did bag a Sectoid leader from the Supply Ship though. I've never had much luck getting them from Terror Ships, but I'm usually always successful on a SS. It was fun. Shot a hole in the control center with a heavy plasma round, waltzed in, and stun rodded the alien. After killing the navigator and what I assume to be a second leader (I believe Supply Ships have two of them), the alien regained consciousness and panicked one soldier down on the first floor. I stunned him again and this time stuffed him in a squaddie's backpack.

Also my commander bit the farm when an alien came down from the second floor and beaned him. I shouldn't have left him in an exposed position like that.

>> No.2638571

>>2638531
stuffed him in backpack. I love this game.

>> No.2638612

>>2637963
I think it would have taken the cyberdisk out too. They take ~4x stun damage from stun bombs.

>> No.2639087

>>2636192
Tyrone Slothrop and Geoffrey "Pirate" Prentice

>> No.2640407

tftd is more fun than I thought

>> No.2640797

>>2640407
You won't say that once you spend 65 turns searching an alien base for that last Lobsterman.

>> No.2640801

>>2638612
Tanks are the only units in the game completely immune to stun weapons.

>> No.2640823

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuiKw0YIzi0

Nice LP, but this guy is like a freakin' robot. How much more boring and monotone can you get.

>> No.2640828

>>2640823
His soldier names are kind of autistic (is everyone some character in a bad 80s action flick?), but who am I to talk. I've named my guys after Pokemon and McDonalds characters.

>> No.2641038

>>2640823
>Floater terror ship

Pretty rare to fight these because Floater terror missions mostly happen in the early game when you don't usually have the capability to shoot down a Terror Ship and Sectoids do a lot more infiltration missions so you have a pretty high chance of catching them on the ground. I've done ground battles against Sectoid terror ships more often than any other alien race.

>> No.2641056

>>2641038
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Alien_Appearance_Ratios

Yeah you're right. Early game infiltration is mostly Sectoids while late game is mostly Mutons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0I07iQX6FQ&index=29&list=PL1F6670F1DE7E9151

This German dude's LP however does feature two (!) Floater infiltrations.

>> No.2641069

I noticed that the game tends to schedule chain infiltrations if a region has more than one funding nation. For example, if the US gets infiltrated, the aliens immediately decide to hit up Canada.

>>2641056
This LP here has chained Floater infiltrations in Europe.

>> No.2641092

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ-rVa5Zjzs

>actually letting Ethereals perform a terror mission

By the time they show up, your Interceptors should have plasma cannons so you can just shoot their terror ship into the drink.

Or fuck it, just land, shoot 1-2 aliens, and take off again if you're concerned about a retaliation attack from taking down the terror ship.

>> No.2641247

Continuing my game. I took out the Terror and Supply Ships on a Sectoid infiltration fleet, but with only 12 guys available for action, I decided to skip the Battleships. Instead I went after an unrelated Muton medium scout that I'd shot down in the Canadian forest. So it was nighttime (or close to it anyway). It's fucking hard to see Mutons in da woods and shit, do they have good reactions. Lost another two soldiers although neither of them were anyone I cared about.

>> No.2641310

out of curiosity, seeing as you all oldschool here, how you r8 the new xcom(eu, ew)?

>> No.2641414

>>2636320
I saw somewhere that if you transfer your cientists/engineers in the last day of the month, just before the midnight, from one base to another, you get they working for you free of charge. Don't know if this works.

>> No.2641438

The game cheats. A lot. If one alien can see you, all of your squad is visible to them and when you reach Turn 20, they can all see you always.

Another cheat feature: When you use psionics, you notice that they become less effective the further away the alien is from your soldiers. Aliens don't have this limitation either; they get full strength psy power no matter where they are on the map.

>> No.2641439
File: 66 KB, 597x593, 32434.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2641092
I don't even want to think about the idea of defending my base from Ethereals.

>> No.2641448

>>2641439
You'd use the standard base defense which is constructing everything to create a choke point and then throwing prox grenades at the access lift. Make sure to disarm known psy weaklings. The prox grenades should nuke any Ethereals that step inside although they aren't powerful enough for Sectopods. Should still do at least some damage to them so you can have soldiers with laser rifles kill the buggers.

>> No.2641461

>>2641438
I actually like these err, "features". It prevents cheap tactics like camping in a corner and buffing your characters in Final Fantasy Tactics.

>> No.2641614

>take out Sectoid base
>there's just one alien left - some jerkass hiding up in the command center mind controlling everyone
>send guy up there with a stun rod
>hey cool, he's unarmed
>next turn
>guy with the stun rod gets mind controlled
>ok wait one more turn
>once he gets back under my control, run back up and stun the alien
>it's...a leader which I already have

There was one other unarmed jerk running around outside that I shot. Could that have been the commander? Good thing I saved right before I shot him. We'll have to reload and find out ($5 says it's a worthless soldier)

>> No.2641621

>that time you mind controlled eight Mutons at once, lined them all up, and shot them firing squad style
What can I say? Mutons have Jell-O for brains.

>> No.2641643

>>2641614
BTW, this base was in India because they got infiltrated. I sent the Skyranger out there, patrolled, and found nothing so I was like Where the frig is the base. Then I noticed a Supply Ship heading off west of India. Reloaded my save file, followed it, and the thing showed up in Saudi Arabia.

Always knew the Saudis couldn't be trusted. Damn terrorist and alien-funding...anyway, I'm about to lose India when the month ends along with the US and already a Sectoid small scout popped up on a new infiltration mission. Now they're getting ready to hit up Canada. Fuck...

>> No.2641705

today i lost my ship and entire squad packed with power armor and plasma rifles to snakeman terror mission.
Suckers threw like 5 granades at my squad and sent horde of chryssalids, and the only reason i lost was some stupid bad luck with last
Chryssalis, 3 people couldnt hit him before he got one and then everyone else panicked.
Damn
I wont reload tho, i shall deal with it and keep playing, savescumming kills the fun

>> No.2641714

>>2631253
Am I the only one who really likes Apocalypse?

>> No.2641716

>>2641714
I like apocalypse. :)

>> No.2641776

>>2641621
Floaters and Mutons are easy to MC, Snakemen are middle difficulty, and Sectoids/Ethereals are the hardest.

>> No.2641789

>>2633183
I love kikoskia, he's a hilarious lplayer, but quite shitty at x-com. On top of that he's not aware of the difficult bug, and plays the game on beginner all the time unknowingly.

>> No.2641815

>>2641789
Yeah he sucks.

>doesn't ever seem to figure out that kneeling improves firing accuracy
>got his ass kicked in his Superhuman Antarctica Challenge when aliens invaded and destroyed his base - game over
>tried to shoot down a Supply Ship thinking it was a Harvester and got an Interceptor destroyed
>the Ethereal missions I mentioned

But he did eventually get to Cydonia (the other LP he did, not the Antarctica one) and beat the game, so good for him.

>> No.2641836

>>2641815
Again, in beginner. But really what makes his lp good is precisely the fact that he doesn't know the whole game back and forth very well. It's an honest to good and unpretentious lp that is natural and unautistic. This is what kikoskia does best: being an unskilled yet charismatic lplayer that is easy to relate with.

>> No.2641841

Lord Finisher is probably the best X-Com LPer I've seen. I don't comb entire alien bases like he does though. I just zerg rush the command center, killing any aliens I encounter along the way, and only then after clearing it, go and search the base for holdouts.

The Sectoid base I mentioned in >>2641614 had no power stations or garden thingies, there was just the command center and one of those huge rooms with food containers in it which apparently were the only places that had aliens in them. I never actually had to go into the food container area; shooting and exploding a couple of Cyberdiscs from a distance was enough to kill everything in there.

>> No.2641846

Once you have Blaster Launchers, alien bases are almost comically easy.

>> No.2641873

>>2641841
Except he apparently doesn't know about the bug that causes the aliens to endlessly bash Battleships against your base defenses.

>> No.2641882

>>2641841
Basically, there's only a couple of places in a base that aliens spawn in. These are the garden thingies, the command center, the power stations, and the big food container rooms. Some bases don't have all of those rooms in them. If a garden or power station is not present, the medics/engineers spawn in the command center area.

>> No.2641898
File: 61 KB, 656x439, Sectoid base.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2641643
Man, I stacked alien bodies like freaking cordwood. There would be even more bodies except that some of them got destroyed in Cyberdisc explosions. Also I reloaded and yeah, the last two aliens were the leader and a soldier. No commander. Shot the leader and then the panicking and unarmed soldier.

>> No.2641959

>>2641716
I just like the extra layers of information to keep track of.

For some reason I like games that basically are a wall of stats and info to keep track of.

Most games are dumbed down these days, including remakes of games that used to be more involved like that.

>> No.2642120

>go after Muton Supply Ship

Freaking Mutons, I swear. These guys have god-level reactions and it takes an average of three heavy plasma shots to take them down.

And now I I have a Battleship to deal with because they're putting up a base. I'm not going after that or the Sectoid base until I get done researching Blaster Bombs.

>> No.2642130

>>2642120
Plus most (like 90%) of Mutons are packing heavy plasma. OTOH, dead ones are a nice source of free ammo. ;)

>> No.2642383
File: 58 KB, 656x439, Snakey terror ship.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Blew up that Muton base, but damn that shit's annoying. Right afterwards, a Snakeman terror ship showed up which I shot down. I went after it and didn't take a _single_ casualty. They didn't stand a chance against Flying Suits, Blaster Bombs, and heavy plasma.

There wasn't much left of this ship once I got done with it.

>> No.2642392
File: 63 KB, 656x439, Snakeman terror ship 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The last alien left was a Chryssalid in one of the upstairs closets, which was easily dispatched with.

After all those grueling Sectoid/Muton battles, this was a relief facing enemies that die in 1-2 hits, don't have mind control, and don't have terrorists that shoot back.

>> No.2643008

>>2642120
Celatids and Silacoids are pretty much of a joke, but the Muties themselves are tough customers. And it's so nice when three soldiers firing nine total plasma shots manage to land all of one hit on a Muton while of course he has like 90% accuracy.

>> No.2643020

Is there a reason to play the original exe while there's openxcom? Is the latter somewhat not true to the original?

>> No.2643136

>graph indicates alien activity is almost non-existent
> shoot and loot anything that flies
>no enemy bases in sight
>end of the month, get additional 1.2 milion
>"Also x-com project is terminated because reasons"

Why ?

>> No.2643145

>>2642130
By a certain point in the game (somewhere around June-August), almost all of the aliens start carrying heavy plasma.

>> No.2643154

>>2642392
See the dead Chryssalid there? There was another one I killed just off screen next to the entrance doors. The bugger kept repeatedly running in and out of the ship, but couldn't get my one flying suit dude who was hovering just out of his reach. Eventually I sent the soldier inside and gunned down the Chryssalid, but then he ran out of TUs and I couldn't move him until next turn.

Well I pretty much wrote that guy off as dead since it was rather logical to assume another Chryssalid would come around the corner and have him for lunch. It was nice knowing you, bub. Hail Mary full of grace let's all pray for his sou...

>click End Turn
>absolutely nothing happens

Shit, prayer really does work.

>> No.2643161

>>2643008
Celatids' acid attack does a whopping 140 damage which means it's the second most powerful weapon in the game after Blaster Bombs. Luckily their range is extremely short and getting hit by them is pretty uncommon.

>> No.2643165

>>2643161
The fun part is mind controlling a Celatid because you can usually OHKO any adjacent aliens with its attack.

>> No.2643312

>Sectoids terrorize Nairobi
Bloody freakin' mess. I lost six soldiers including one of my best captains. There wasn't much left of the place after several Blaster Bomb/Cyberdisc explosions.

>> No.2643542

>>2643008
That Muton Supply Ship was pretty gay. You can't kill the cocksuckers without like 3-4 heavy plasma shots, they have godly reactions, and also really high aggression levels. It took a fair bit of savescumming to beat that mission. I don't like to savescum, but sometimes you have to do it. And to top it off, most Mutons have heavy plasma instead of the weaker weapons.

>> No.2643548

>>2643542
Kikoskia savescums a helluva lot on his LPs. Although considering he's playing on Beginner all the time, I don't quite get the need for it. I beat >>2643312 with no savescumming despite losing one of my favorite captains. That game was on Superhuman incidentally.

>> No.2643551

>>2643542
Mutons are comparable to a Cyberdisc in terms of stats/durability (but without the explodey bit) and you know how annoying those fuckers are.

>> No.2643558

>>2643551
Ha, you're right.

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Cyberdisc

http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Muton

Extremely similar stats. Cyberdiscs at least give you some leeway because they're a large target and easier to hit.

>> No.2643560

Are Tasoth from TFTD just as difficult to deal with as Ethereals are?

>> No.2643565

>>2643548
>>2643312
Sectoids are like wet tissue paper. Anything more powerful than a conventional rifle is almost a guaranteed 1-2HKO.

>> No.2643572

>>2643560
No. Tasoths are not really comparable to Ethereals at all. They can't fly and they have low bravery (like 10-20) so they panic extremely easily. The fact that they have mind control is the only real similarity.

>> No.2643578

I love how Floaters get stuck in the top floors of buildings because the AI doesn't know how to walk them down staircases, only up. Sometimes I've found 3-4 of them cooped up in the loft of a barn.

>> No.2643581

I still have a Sectoid base to go after and this time I'm not fucking around. We will have Small Launchers and I also researched the Mind Probe so we know just which motherfucker is the commander.

>> No.2643584

>>2643572
They are more similar to Mutons with MC powers.

>> No.2644560

I was reading about how mission scheduling in UFO Defense works. As you may know, the general pattern of things is as follows:

*January=Sectoid research in your home region, Floater/Sectoid terror in a random region
*February-May=One terror mission and one random mission per month.
*June onward=Two random missions a month and one terror mission

Snakemen show up from February, but do not launch terror attacks before April. Mutons show up from April, but no terror attacks until June. Ethereals show up in June.

When a mission is finished, that region won't get that mission again except for terror/infiltration/retaliation which can happen ad infinitum.

However, I have gotten research missions in my home region a second time, suggesting that the initial January one doesn't get counted by the game. Also I noticed that infiltration missions (if a continent has more than one funding nation) are "chained", meaning that as soon as one infiltration is done, the aliens immediately launch a second one and that this does not have to wait for the next month to start.

>> No.2644941

>>2643136
because there's no need for it i guess

that's how well you performed

>> No.2645545

>>2641310
Nice in its own way but not the same.

Too streamlined (normal soldiers can't fucking carry grenades or shoot at anything other than the aliens?? wtf) but still fun

>> No.2645563

>>2643136
>>graph indicates alien activity is almost non-existent
>>shoot and loot anything that flies
>>end of the month, get additional 1.2 milion
All this implies you had several bases stocked with advanced craft and a ton of engineers.

I'm guessing you previously went into negative money at end of the month because you rely on workshop / loot income to cover your expenses.

You must have had not enough money saved at end of the month yet again which resulted in negative money. Twice negative means you're out.

I recommend saving up enough money for month ends according to your monthly expenses.

>> No.2646224

>>2645563
I've never had a big problem with money in this game. Even without selling laser cannons, I usually have $20,000,000 by May thanks to selling surplus alien shit.

>> No.2646856
File: 55 KB, 656x439, Aw raspberries.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you know that feel you get when you poop in your pants?

>> No.2647285

>>2646856
You think that's bad. I lost 9 fucking dudes on a Sectoid terror mission. During daytime. And there were only 14 aliens on the map. And I took almost 50 turns to beat the thing because of some camper hiding in a gas station. And then the guy carrying a loaded rocket launcher got mind controlled.

FML.

>> No.2648195

>>2646224
Use alien weapon self-destruction mod in OXC.

>> No.2648240

>>2648195
is that vanilla behaviour? is there a list of mod and options to enable to achieve vanilla parity with oxc?

>> No.2648580

Is there a way to forbid someone from shooting? Other than expending all TUs and making them face away from the enemies.

I had too many accidents with the smart bomb already.

>> No.2648594

>>2648580
Might be a good idea to not arm psy weaklings with Blaster Launchers. :^)

>> No.2648610

>>2648594
not even that, it's the fucking reaction fire. I also meant stun bombs. Still haven't encountered any kind of MC prick tho, only sectoids and floaters. Also, the power armor sucks, most of my guys still die in 1-hit. I lose ~4 rookies on avg per mission, also sadly lost my sergeants recently to those fucking floaters I REALLY HATE FLOATERS.

>> No.2648643

>>2648610
>Still haven't encountered any kind of MC prick tho, only sectoids and floaters
Uh...Sectoids do have MC on anything bigger than a Large Scout.
>Also, the power armor sucks, most of my guys still die in 1-hit. I lose ~4 rookies on avg per mission, also sadly lost my sergeants recently to those fucking floaters I REALLY HATE FLOATERS
That's pretty sad because Floaters are the aliens' junior varsity team. You'll miss them late in the game if you ever bump into Ethereals.

>> No.2648798

>>2648240
Let me put it up in a clearer way:

X-Com is a broken game by default. It's a diamond in rough which despite still being considered considered a masterpiece when it comes to combine different gameplay types, and whole can of fun altogether, was nevertheless plagued with loads of bugs, a broken economy system, a shit tech tree, and a far from perfect aiming system.

Why did it work so good then? Because the whole is effectively different (and in this case better) than the sum of the parts, thus the diversity delivered by the game far more compensates its shortcomings.

However,

it should be noted that by no means this signifies X-Com should be exclusively experienced in its purest untainted form. This point was evidenced from early on during the development of OpenXcom. While by default the application delivers a configuration shipped with a nigh-vanilla setup, the game itself comes with several mods that re-arrange and tweak several aspects, some of 'em even enabled by default. No matter what luddites say, a sensibly modded X-Com is far superior to whatever the original game had to offer. This doesn't mean the original game is bad, but rather that it is so good at its core, that a couple of small tweaks can turn it into a whole new experience.

So based on that do not question if X or Y is "close to vanilla behaviour". Assume everything that is in OXC is as close to a sensible combination of vanilla and modern tweaks as possible, and go from that point. Check the advanced options and mod tab, and pick whatever fancies you. If you do not like it, turn it off. Simple as that. As game that calls in for a personal immersion, its structure is also meant to be adapted and fiddled with for personal taste. This is something the devs of XCOM2012 realized themselves when they allowed lots of gameplay customization within the game options, something that is rarely seen nowadays.

>> No.2649759

>>2648798
TFTD is far more of a mess. That was a game that really needed more playtesting. Not due to bugs, but some awful design decisions that make it uglier and much, much more frustrating to play than UFO Defense.

>> No.2649770

>>2648798
>and a far from perfect aiming system

I'd consider it adequate for 1994 standards. PCs at that time weren't 1/10th what they are today.

>> No.2650275

>>2649759
I'm about to finish my TFTD campaign in OXC, sitting on my 100+ million dollars and 1000+ Zrbite pile. The game has a rough start and natively had some terrible bugs, but it isn't so hard. It's really just a rehash of the first game with some touches here and there, and as soon as you figure out what changed and how, it's smooth sailing. Also, personally it has a better lategame, since Mag.Ion armors are really sturdy and the no autofire limitation on every sonic weapon means you need to use all of your team instead of shooting mindlessly with just one guy.

And no fucking barns.

Lobstermen are actually enjoyable enemies to fight, much better than anything Xenonauts had to offer for instance.

>> No.2650878

>>2649770
Yeh, people overlook this. 1994 was a mere handful of years after the 8-bit era and computers at that time still resembled an Apple II much more than they do anything today.

>> No.2650979

>>2648610
Eventually you want to equip your craft with plasma cannons. This is the overall best craft weapon in the game as it will allow an Interceptor to shoot down anything short of a Battleship and also gets recharged for free. You can also get the Fusion Ball Launcher, but not generally recommended. More powerful than plasma cannons, but has only a few rounds and also requires you to manufacture ammo which uses up Elerium.

>> No.2651000

>>2650275
>and the no autofire limitation on every sonic weapon means you need to use all of your team instead of shooting mindlessly with just one guy
True; the tactics used in TFTD are a little different from UFO Defense. TFTD is more about aimed and snap shots while UFO Defense was dominated by the auto shot.

>> No.2652315

>take out Floater base in a difficult, frustrating battle that costs me 7 soldiers
>had to use one soldier as a suicide bomber to stop a Blaster Launcher-wielding alien from firing it at my squad
>was literally within inches of bagging the commander
>he comes marching out of the command center and my trigger-happy soldiers kill him with reaction shots
>tfw

>> No.2652363

>>2652315
wow that's gay

>> No.2652374

>>2652363
You know it, man. Most of the base consisted of two giant rooms with food containers and I hate those things because they're one big shooting gallery. This gets so much easier when you have Blaster Launchers.

>> No.2653172

>>2652315
>trating battle that costs me 7 soldiers
>>had to use one soldier as a suicide bomber to stop a Blaster Launcher-wielding alien from firing it at my squad
>>was literally within inches of bagging the commander
>>he comes marching out of the command center and my trigger-happy soldiers kill him with reaction shots
>>tfw
Learn to use the deplete TUs button, scrub

>> No.2653596
File: 10 KB, 128x227, Apoc_xcom_armor_equip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>power armor super soldiers
>personal shields
>hand held bio weapons
>gas grenades
There's nothing quite like absolutely annihilating hordes of ayys while facetanking explosions and disruptors.

>> No.2653837

>it's April
>this means Snake Season is upon us
>and sure enough, we have some Nigerian terror to deal with
>it's during the day so that's good
>unfortunately I have a shortage of heavy plasma clips so I had to equip most of the team with laser rifles
>they're fine against Snakemen, but Chryssalids are tough to kill with those things
>we manage to beat the mission with five casualties, mostly rookies/squaddies I didn't care about
>one guy got zombified and I lost one of my best sergeants to friendly fire from a doofus rookie
>the last alien was an unarmed, panicking Snakeman navigator so I was able to ignore him for a few turns while I sent my soldiers around to gather up heavy plasma clips from the battlefield so they don't go MIA

Almost had a goddamn heart attack when that rookie got zombified. I managed to kill the Chryssalid that bit him easily, but after shooting the zombie, the resultant new Chryssalid would not die. I had 4-5 guys shooting at him execution style but he just brushed off the laser rifle fire. Finally with one snap shot remaining, I managed to down the bugger.

>> No.2654198

>>2641789
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Lbwn5wbQo&index=27&list=PLD7DE1C42D89C81C0

His Superhuman Antarctica Challenge ended with Ethereals destroying his base because he didn't build the thing in a remotely defensible fashion. Game over.

Anyway, this part he takes on a Sectoid Abductor. Not too hard...he gets lucky that one soldier ends up being MC bait and the rest of his squad is left alone. Also wtf are you doing in July and still have no Power armor or heavy plasma. I did one of these ships in a game recently and I just used a heavy plasma shot to punch a hole in the command center and surprise butt secks the Sectoid leader.

>> No.2654206

>>2654198
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Lbwn5wbQo&index=27&list=PLD7DE1C42D89C81C0

July terror mission turns out to be Floaters. That lucky SOB. By this point in the game, he could have drawn Ethereals.

>> No.2654475

>>2654198
it's like I said. Kikoskia is a hilarious LPer even if he's really really bad at X-Com.

>> No.2654546

>had a sergeant named Napoleon the Pig
>he was one of my earliest soldiers, having been recruited in the first month of the game
>got horribly wounded and spent a month in traction
>comes back in time for the Floater base assault mentioned in >>2652315
>turns out he only has 10 Bravery and ends up panicking during the mission
>also gets wounded again and spends more time in the infirmary
>rejoins the team for the April terror mission
>shot dead by a Snakeman

Can't say I felt any sorrow over his passing. One iron rule of X-Com is that that incompetent rookies with garbage stats somehow manage to get promoted to officer rank after scoring one kill on their first mission.

>> No.2654603

Protip on retaliation missions. They occur either in the zone the UFO was shot down in or the zone that the Interceptor is based in. It's random and depends on the difficulty level.

Retaliation missions generated by a UFO shootdown are always the same race that crewed the ship you took out, but eventually, by November-January (varies by difficulty setting) the game simply schedules one retaliation mission per month in every zone that you have a base in, with the alien race drawn at random. Shooting down retaliation scouts is key to preventing them from finding your base. If you take out all of them, the odds of this happening are greatly lessened.

>> No.2655196
File: 44 KB, 656x439, de.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Talk about the Sectoid base from hell.

>find out that apparently 40% of my squad have Jell-O for brains
>after dozens of save/reloads due to soldiers going berserk, aliens blaster bombing us, and other mayhem, we managed to finally beat the thing

My two Blaster Bomb guys killed the vast majority of the aliens since the rest of the team was next-to-useless. I never recall playing any mission with this many dudes getting MCed/panicked. I got so fed up with the MC nonsense that I ragekilled all of the aliens in the command room without giving thought to my original mission of taking a live leader/commander. But there was still more MC happening. And then the Sectoid commander panicked and I had my quarry in sight. My own commander had the stun launcher, but he kept repeatedly panicking. Eventually he became sane long enough that I had him drop the thing and give it to another soldier. She managed to knock out the alien. Mission over.

When the mission ended, I ended up losing my commander because he was still under alien control and counted as MIA. Thank fucking god I came home with the ultimate prize. Because I sure deserved it after this stomach ulcer-inducing battle.

>> No.2655206

>>2655196
Good. Now all you need is to research psionics and train a psyker team, build an Avenger, research Cydonia or Bust, and off to Mars you go.

>> No.2655571

first time playing xcom. One of the few things I knew before playing was to bag a floater commander to unlock psi shit... ecxept well... it unlocked alien origin? is this the right path or did I mess up, considerign it was my first floater dissection too

>> No.2655583

>>2655571
Floaters don't give you Psy; only Sectoids and Ethereals.

>> No.2655634
File: 78 KB, 1920x1080, 2015-09-01-152849_1920x1080_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2655583
just sacrificed 5 GOOD soldiers but apparently I killed the commander since he decided to head out in the open and MC the shit out of my peeps ;_;

>> No.2655638

>>2655634
Also just discovered that armors get destroyed when a soldier dies. FUUCK

>> No.2655736

and the game crashed just as I finished stun-batoning the probable sectoid commander. wew

>> No.2655969

>>2655571
If you got a commander, you've greatly shortened the amount of time needed to beat the game. You still need to do all of the following:

>capture live Sectoid leader/any Ethereal
>research psionics
>build psy lab
>train soldiers
>build an Avenger

>> No.2655973

>>2655969
Also don't immediately rush off to Cydonia the second your Avenger is ready. Do a few missions to train your psykers. Have them practice on Floaters or Mutons since they're easy to mind control. Remember that Cydonia is full of Sectoids and Ethereals which have high psy strength. You need an experienced team to mind control them successfully.

>> No.2655979

>>2655969
I just noticed I had captured the sectoid leader the mission after. wew. Well, thing is now my interceptors can't really fight anymore with alien ships. The plasma cannon is outranged for the first time, I also believe these big things are battleships, and after they hit me 2 times I have to pull-out or they distance themselves from me.

Should I bother with researching new ships or just tail and assault with my infrantry?

>> No.2655993

>>2655979
Keep a spare avenger around to kill battleships.

Strongest ship in the game after all.

>> No.2655995

>>2655979
Silly, you don't shoot down battleships. Much too dangerous. You wait for them to land. Besides, you don't want to blow up the power supplies and lose the Elerium. The only time battleships don't land is when they're on a retaliation mission.

>> No.2656000

>>2655993
But only if they're on a retaliation mission. If a battleship is barreling towards your base, shooting it down may be a good idea particularly if it's Ethereals. Other aliens aren't a huge problem if you constructed your base with a choke point as you should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTZwB7BjWdE

See here. This is how you do base defenses.

>> No.2656001

>>2655993
Isn't that pretty end-game?

>>2655995
I've never done a base defense. My main base (EU) is a clusterfuck, my NA and ASIA base only have like 8 soldiers each stationed with laser weaponry and a single jet for interception.

Any tip on how to prepare for one? Can I use explosives without risking to destroy my base?

>> No.2656016
File: 42 KB, 656x439, base layout.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2656001
Aliens always spawn in the hangars and access lift, so you want to set up the base like this.

>>2656000

Also see this guy's LP. You hock proximity grenades at the access lift as the aliens come inside and then keep a row of soldiers some distance back to reaction fire any survivors. I keep about 25 prox grenades stockpiled in case an attack happens.

>> No.2656025

>>2656001
>I've never done a base defense

Any time you shoot down a UFO, there's a chance you triggered a retaliation attack. Sometime between months 11-14 (November 99-January 00), the game just does one retaliation per month in every region you have a base in. But most of the time you're unlikely to be playing long enough for that to happen.

>> No.2656026
File: 79 KB, 1178x732, 2015-09-01-193510_1178x732_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2656016
I guess I pretty much fucked up here then. Should remove that hangar and relocate the living quarters.

>> No.2656104

What will cause you to ditch an x-com recruit? What stat parameters do you require?

>> No.2656153

>>2656104
Shitty recruits (firing accuracy under 60 and throwing accuracy under 30) just get used as scouts/meat shields.

>> No.2656313
File: 52 KB, 656x439, destruction.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok, a few civvies died but you do what you gotta do. Better being nuked by a Blaster Bomb than being Chryssalid-ified. Especially since I lost some veteran troops in the Sectoid base mission, I had a bunch of rookies who couldn't hit the side of a barn.

>> No.2656323
File: 63 KB, 656x439, more destruction.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Three Chryssalids in a row got toasted here. Somehow I've gotten stupefyingly lucky that all the Snakeman terror missions I fought recently are during daytime.

>> No.2656628

>>2656000
One other point. If you shoot down all of the retaliation scouts, the aliens often send a battleship or two for scouting out your base. These aren't there to attack you, just search and they always hover around at a low speed. The actual battleship that goes after the base will be traveling at maximum speed (5000 knots) in a straight line. If it happens to be an Ethereal ship, then shooting it down is highly recommended even if your Avenger spends a month in the shop. Otherwise let them come and follow the defense procedures I mentioned.

You could build base defenses, but it ends up being a bad idea due to the bug in the game that causes it to repeatedly send battleships crashing against your defenses. A lot of players prefer to just let the aliens land in the base since defending it from anything except Ethereals is pretty laughably easy if you know how to do it.

>> No.2656930

Know what I hate? When you touch down at a terror site and there's an alien just in front of the Skyranger. You can't throw out a smoke grenade or he'll reaction fire you and you'll probably miss if you shoot him and get reaction fired anyway.

>> No.2657023

>>2646856

That image just had me trying to click on the inventory button to find some HE, because that looks too glorious to pass up.

>> No.2657090

>>2657023
Except that would blow up the Elerium in the power supply. That's the trick about medium scouts. It's very temping to grenade the interior, until you realize it will cost you Elerium.

>> No.2657105

>>2657090

Still worth it.

>> No.2657116

>>2657105
I'm feeling very good right now. In my current game, I took out a Sectoid base with only one casualty and got back 150 Elerium since it had two power stations. Good because I need to make more Flying Suits and also plasma cannons.

>> No.2657419

>>2656001
Keep a decent group of soldiers in each of your bases, and don't be squeamish with plasma weaponry, you'll drown in that eventually. Just remember, as it has been said, that aliens spawn from the hangars and the elevator shaft. And personally don't bother with base defenses, they never work, and you won't get all the loot from all the aliens you'll kill.

>> No.2657425

>>2657419
>And personally don't bother with base defenses, they never work

They do work, it's just that the game is bugged and you'll end up with endless battleships diving into your base and getting blown up.

>> No.2657436

>>2657425
I got four base attacks in my TFTD campaign. The later three attacks, the ones where I had sonic defenses (the analogue of plasma defenses) all I got was a window with just a "you hit something!" message then the usual base defense mission. A great use of the research time and the money I invested on them.

>> No.2657639

I just lost funding from india, striked a deal with aliens it seems. I patrolled around there and found my first alien base. Many good soldiers died (mostly rookies aka meatshields), but we managed to conquer it. Will India be returning next month or is it lost forever?

Also, I was starting to outsource my workshop crap to one of my other bases, like all of it. Do I still need to keep some engies in the main base for I don't know... aircraft repair, rearming etc?

>> No.2657804

>>2657639
>I patrolled around there and found my first alien base. Many good soldiers died (mostly rookies aka meatshields), but we managed to conquer it. Will India be returning next month or is it lost forever?

Nope. Infiltrated nations never rejoin you. However, you should eventually get to the point where most of your money comes from selling surplus alien crap and laser cannons. Also I'm going to take the educated guess that this was a Sectoid base since they do most infiltration missions in the early game (late game it's usually Mutons).

>Do I still need to keep some engies in the main base for I don't know... aircraft repair, rearming etc?

No actually engineers are only needed to manufacture crap.

>> No.2657852

>>2657804
Yes it was sectoid and I read about infiltrated nations not coming back. :(. Wish there was a mod for openxcom giving the opportunity to take back that country, by maybe having to fight the corrupted government and their alien-augmented soldiers, ending with it being replaced by a new government, or in case of loss triggering a new infiltration mission, since other countries now think OH MY GOD ALIUMS ARE AWESOME.

Good to know about engies.

>> No.2658024

>aliens terrorize Santiago, Chile
>at night
>and it's Snakemen
After demolishing 40% of the map with Blaster Bombs, I sent my team to investigate an ominous-looking gas station. Even though I'd leveled it with a BB, still very dangerous.

A couple squaddies got shot and two soldiers zombified. With most of the scrubs out of actions, I sent in my elite officers in Flying Suits, who were not going to touch the ground under any circumstance.

So it took them to do what my incompetent rookies/squaddies in personal armor could not. They killed the last Snakeman, one guy got wounded in the arm, but we patched him up with a med pack, and then a Chryssalid came around a corner and stopped inches from a rookie on the ground. My officers could have shot him, but this rookie needed experience so I let him take out the bugger. The last alien turned out to be another Chryssalid hiding in a grove of trees behind the gas station, which my officers then killed.

>> No.2658302

>>2644560
It's two missions a month from July onward. I checked my MISSIONS.DAT file when June started and it still only assigns one mission for the month.

>> No.2658643

>>2641069
That's correct. Once the game starts an infiltration mission, every country in that region gets hit up. Some regions only have one funding nation, but Europe has five of them (UK, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain). Meaning that if infiltration happens in Europe, you'll have to deal with five separate infiltration fleets in a row and five alien bases. That's pretty insane.

>> No.2658648

>>2658643
Russia is the one funding nation that can't be infiltrated. The game sets the priority for infiltration in Siberia to zero. I'm not sure about the reason for this, but I assume it has to do with Siberia having only one city (Novisibirsk) meaning that most of the UFOs in the infiltration fleet can't land anywhere.

Siberia also never gets harvest missions which is interesting. I guess because it's cold and there's no livestock there? You'd think the aliens could steal some reindeer or something.

>> No.2658772
File: 66 KB, 656x439, complete carnage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Snakeman base in Central America
It's go time.

This was some mayhem and destruction. There were literally four Snakemen staring down two of my guys. I wanted to blaster bomb them, but wasn't sure I could get one there without it killing the soldiers nearby. So we heroically shot all of them instead. To the south, my captain and a squaddie with a stun launcher were ready to rush the command center. Upon heading inside...there was a fucking Chryssalid waiting in there to ambush us. He was quickly given a plasma enema.

We managed to kill most of the Snakemen and by this point they were panicking.

>> No.2658775
File: 28 KB, 656x439, success.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The food container room to the left we decided to investigate for any remaining aliens. One Snakeman soldier up in the guard tower panicked. Just then, a Chryssalid came charging out of the room and took a bite out of one rookie. After shooting the zombie/new Chryssalid, there was still the matter of that Snakeman in the guard tower. He came downstairs and was killed with reaction fire.

Meanwhile, my captain and the stun bomb guy found one alien holed up in the command room. Knocked him out and...hell yes. But there was still one more unpleasant surprise awaiting us. Another Chryssalid came out of the food container room, zombified a rookie, and we then killed the beast.

After that, the only alien left was a panicking Snakeman in a garden to the south of the command center, which we killed with ease.

>> No.2659347

>first time encountering chrisalyds
>they were on a retaliation mission
>shoot down the scout
>send in my skyranger, curious about them since it's my first time playing and encountering them
>spot one in the shadows of a farm building, can't even tell what it is
>no line of fire
>blaster bomb the building it's in.
>MISSION SUCCESFULL
>there were only two and its buddy was in the same room
welp, really wanted to see them in action.

>> No.2659540

>>2659347
That's ok because there's no Chryssalids on scout ships and the only thing you killed were a pair of Snakemen. :^)

>> No.2659545

>>2658772
See the Chryssalid corpse in the upper left? That was actually three aliens there. One Snakeman and two Chryssalids, one of which used to be an X-Com operative.

BTW, this is the original floppy version of UFO Defense. God, that sound Snakemen make when they move is disgusting. I'm glad they changed it in the CD version.

>> No.2659550

Kind of pissed that that Snakeman base had no power station and thus no Elerium. But there's another base in North America (a Sectoid infiltration one) that I have to take care of. Maybe that one has Elerium.

>> No.2659794

>>2658772
I love stacking alien bodies like plywood.

>> No.2660926
File: 19 KB, 726x235, 2015-09-04-132316_726x235_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Post you are mod selection

>> No.2660940

>>2660926
Y wud you set it to have a Muton commander? It kind of ruins the entire game storyline that Mutons are just dumb grunts who carry out the Ethereals' orders and have no mind of their own (which is why they're so easy for your soldiers to MC).

>> No.2660942

>>2660940
Because MUH INTRO. Also, to respect the lore, they're just buff as fuck mutons. You can't interrogate them to unlock cydonia.

Basically, it's a commander just in name. I might change its name to something like idk, berserker? how's it sound?

>> No.2660950

Mutons annoy me. They're hard to kill via gunfire, they laugh grenades off, they have godly reactions, and they're crazy aggressive. Also like 90% of them carry heavy plasma. At least their terrorists are pretty cake.

>> No.2661025

what should I equip my psi soldiers with? I'm issuing them plasma pistols, but I'll soon run out of ammo for them, and everyone has heavy plasmas right now so no scavenging.

>> No.2661082

>>2661025
Just like the other guys but with Psi-Amps and your better armors if they have also high Psi Strength, duh. If you really want them to use pistols, and you are too far into the campaign, why not producing some plasma pistol clips?

>> No.2661085

>>2661082
There's aim penalties for other guns. I'm starving for elerium too.

>> No.2661093

>>2661085
You have autofire for that.

>> No.2662086

-

>> No.2664557

bump

>> No.2664670

I'm trying to refine my tactics more, which includes greater use of aimed shots if I have a good chance of hitting the target and also doing less savescumming. Not that it's easy; I did a Sectoid terror mission and lost seven dudes, although two were my fault because I forgot that they had fatal wounds and didn't fix them with the med kits.

>> No.2664786

worst I ever had was the time a Floater grenaded the Skyranger just after touching down.

>> No.2664880

>Snakemen plop a base in Papua New Guinea in February
Great...and I still only have laser rifles. I lost 10 fucking dudes taking out that base. Partially because I tried (like I said in >>2664670) to minimize savescumming. I only reloaded twice during the mission and even after 5 guys got Blaster Bombed, I didn't reload. It's tough when you need 5-6 shots to take out a Chryssalid and your incompetent rookies can only manage 1-2 hits.

But then afterwards I got a cakey Floater terror mission that cost me just one soldier so w/e.

>> No.2664883

>>2664880
I didn't know Snakemen can even show up that early in the game.

>> No.2664891

>>2664883
Yes they can show up in February, but they're quite rare before April-May and never do terror missions until April. Most of the time it's just Floaters and Sectoids at this point. There's a 50-60% chance of getting a Floater/Sectoid base mission in Feb-Mar, but Snakemen only about 20%.

If they do show up, it's tough mostly because of Chryssalids as they have huge health and can be quite difficult to kill with laser rifles. You really need heavy plasma for them.

>> No.2664904

Ironically, the Reaper has the largest health of any unit in the game (148).

>> No.2664918
File: 19 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642383

>> No.2664935

>>2653596
lmao

>> No.2664949

Chryssalids contrary to what you may have heard have no weaknesses. Zombies however hate incendiary weapons and setting one on fire is the only way to prevent the Chryssalid from hatching.

>> No.2664951

>>2664949
I've never bothered with that. The hatched Chryssalid inherits the zombie's health stat so if you already shot it a few times, the Chryssalid will emerge with reduced health and can be easily dropped.

>> No.2664956

>>2654603
>Protip on retaliation missions. They occur either in the zone the UFO was shot down in or the zone that the Interceptor is based in

I watched an LP and this isn't true. The retaliation is either the zone the Interceptor is based or the zone the alien mission was to take place in.

>> No.2664992

The Collector's Edition of UFO Defense had this bug where you can't shoot blaster bombs directly down a grav lift, you must put them at an angle. Not a problem in the DOS versions. This can be used to your advantage since aliens trying to shoot down a grav lift will just blow themselves up. It was probably some glitch with the compiler they used to generate the CE executable, maybe different number handling than the software the DOS version was compiled with.

I've seen this a few times in Lord Finisher's LP since he was using the CE. Aliens try to shoot a blaster bomb down a grav lift and get blown to kingdom come.

>> No.2665042
File: 207 KB, 1743x1042, 2015-09-06-113532_1743x1042_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw finishing this instant my first xcum game and I assembled my elites in the meanie brain room.

I don't want this to end ;_;

On a side note, this was the funniest mission I played. Primed about 40 blaster bombs.

>> No.2665053

What version of X-Com should I go for?

I want to finally check it out after playing the X-Com board game (it's really fun, co-op, turn based, with an app and a time limit - it works better than it sounds).

>> No.2665062

>>2665053
>What version of X-Com should I go for?

The DOS versions are probably the easiest to set up and play (as setting them up in DOSBox is simple), provided you patch the bugs in them with XComUtil. The Collector's Edition was for Windows 95, but doesn't work on anything after XP. It has most of the bugs from the DOS versions fixed, but has the added problem I mentioned in >>2664992.

You could also try the PS1 version but it has awful load times.

>> No.2665181

>>2664949
You need to actually kill zombies, not just set them on fire for this to work. For all that effort, it's much easier to just nuke them with heavy plasma shots.

>> No.2665191

UFO Defense has many strange bugs in it; one of the more potentially useful ones is that due to a glitch with unit spawning, personal armor gives the same protection as a Power Suit, not the rated figures. However, it still doesn't protect soldiers from smoke inhalation/stun bombs.

>> No.2665741

forgot how brutal tftd was, ufo's a piece of cake in comparison.

>> No.2665921

>>2665741
Why? You get dumped with aqua alloys and Zrbite, in such a manner that it actually "damages" you by filling all your space in the stores. And two part missions are mostly "difficult" due to their length rather than their actual difficulty, since their layout is almost the same depending on the mission type. And you just have to adjust to the fact you can't rely on the autofire crutch with sonic weapons.

>> No.2665958

>>2665053
OpenXCom

It's by far the easiest to set up and comes with all the bugs fixed. Also supports large resolutions.

I really don't know why people still use the DOSBox version...

>> No.2666560

>>2664891
Chryssalids only have 90HP actually, they seem tougher to kill due to some quite heavy-duty armor.

>> No.2666614

http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1560

This guy does dramatize things a little bit. For example, "Their terror units, Sectopods, are just as bad: huge mechs with insanely powerful, super accurate laser cannons and a shit ton of reaction fire potential."

The Sectopod's laser gun has 100HP which means it's less powerful than heavy plasma or the Cyberdisc's plasma cannon. On the other hand, Sectopods have auto fire which Cyberdiscs do not.

When facing Ethereals (or Sectoids on the larger UFOs), equip known psy weaklings with laser pistols so if they lose it, they can't do much damage.

>> No.2666645

>>2666614
I've also never had a Snakeman terror mission as bad as the one he describes. Except maybe the one nighttime mission that I leveled a quarter of the map with rockets. Now _that_ was a horrendous battle.

Maybe because I'm a relaxed guy who doesn't panic at the first sight of a Chryssalid and go "OHMYGODOHMYGODWE'REALLGONNADIESAVEMEJESUS!!!"

>> No.2666813

Supply Ships are annoying. Why? They take forever to clean out, there's a ton of ways that aliens can ambush you, and you usually have to mine various areas with proximity grenades for this exact reason.

>> No.2666961

>>2657852
>Yes it was sectoid

Sectoids are kind of the head honcho aliens along with Ethereals. If I understand the game lore correctly, Snakemen are just mercenaries there for plunder and Floaters/Mutons are unfortunate fuckers that Ethereals captured, genetically modified, and enslaved to serve their purposes.

>> No.2667097

>>2666961
tbh reading every entry, it seems like everything has been fucking re-engineered by the ethereals, just that mutons have pratically no brain and other species have some kind of self-independece. Still greatly limited by their masters + biggie eyed brainei.

>> No.2667127

>>2667097
Floaters have also been subjected to massive surgical modification. One clue is that Floaters and Mutons have the lowest psy strength of the main alien races, befitting their role as mindless grunts.

>> No.2667320

>start new game
>do usual blah blah blah Sectoid scout missions
>shoot down large scout
>kill two aliens bunched together with a rocket
>deploy from Skyranger
>suddenly Sectoid like two inches away from us
>oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck
>have like 4-5 dudes all firing on him
>he takes about four rifle shots but is somehow still standing
>my pathetically inexperienced troops can't bring him down for their best efforts
>with about six soldiers all huddled around the exit ramp, I give up, click end turn, and prepare for someone's death
>surprise, the alien has a stun launcher and knocks out almost everyone
>send out my four remaining dudes
>this is going to suck
>hey, where did that alien go?
>search around but I can't find him anywhere
>clear out the UFO which thankfully has only two aliens inside
>while searching the map, we find another alien with a heavy plasma gun and drop him
>move to a barn in the lower right of the map
>one soldier dies from a plasma shot
>have another guy blow out the wall with a grenade
>advance through the smoke and spot the alien
>shoot, but he reaction fires and kills the soldier
>now I have a mere two guys left since my hope that the unconscious dudes would wake up didn't pan out
>one of them has good firing accuracy, so I take an aimed shot at the alien and drop him
>mission over

And I never did find that stun launcher jerk. Even after checking out the recovered items, I got back only one stun launcher and that was from a dead alien inside the UFO.

That was seriously freaky. Unkillable alien that magically vanishes from the map. I swear, that was a freaking ghost alien.

>> No.2667331

>>2667320
It was the ghost of a Sectoid you killed on the previous mission come back from beyond the grave for revenge.

>> No.2667342

>>2667331
Lyl.

Nah actually I know what happened. The alien knocked himself out with his own stun bomb, but his body disappeared because playing on Superhuman caused the game to go over the 80 item limit.

>> No.2667361

>>2666645
I hate Cyberdiscs more than Chryssalids tbh. Especially on terror missions where like four of them are in the landing area.

>> No.2667385

>>2667342
Why the fuck are you playing the old DOS version instead of OXC which has no item limit?

>> No.2667508
File: 16 KB, 230x300, 1430896850507.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first terror mission of the game
>Floaters, Seoul, South Korea, nighttime
>things get off to a bad start because I'm an idiot and I put a guy with a rocket launcher and a loaded large rocket in front
>he reaction fires an alien and injures himself and the three soldiers around him, including my captain
>we deploy and start getting shot at from three sides at once
>behind us is an apartment building, to the left a shop and a house, and to the right a street
>alien guns down one guy, we throw an HE next to the house, it blows and kills the bugger
>shoot a Reaper around the apartment building
>satisfied that the landing area is clear, we begin moving across the street
>shot out of a warehouse kills a guy
>throw HE to blow a hole in there
>my captain goes down, but she was going to die in a few turns anyway
>meanwhile one wounded rookie is pushing the front into another apartment building and spots a Floater and a Reaper
>the wound she has came from a previous alien shooting her, but she threw an HE over the fence where he ducked behind after firing, so that problem was taken care of
>she kills them from long distance with help from the guys behind her
>another alien comes around the corner of the warehouse and is taken down
>kill some other Reaper near the apartment
>move into the warehouse and fire at a Reaper inside of it
>Jesus, how many of these things are there?

>> No.2667509

>some soldiers moving into the warehouse, others curling around the apartment
>Floater firing at us, but we can't see him
>tiptoe through the warehouse across burning crates and a burning Reaper carcass
>there's another Reaper at the far end of the warehouse that we kill
>where the fuck is this guy by the apartment
>he manages to kill one soldier before we finally spot and take down the bugger
>Floater engineer panics, but I don't know where he is
>send out my remaining reinforcements
>a guy with an auto cannon spots the weaponless alien, fires and misses
>someone else with a laser rifle tags him

Mission over. I lost five dudes and killed 21 (!) aliens. That was one hell of a battle. Also props to my one rookie who took out five aliens despite slowing bleeding to death (she was down to 5 health at the end of the mission). Even though she's in the hospital 35 days, I'm keeping her anyway.

>> No.2667598

>>2666813
>Proximity grenades are great. Why? Supply ships take forever to clean out, there's a ton of ways that aliens can ambush you, and you usually have to mine various areas with proximity grenades for this exact reason

I totally agree, where would x-com be without proximity grenades.

>> No.2667601

>>2667598
>where would x-com be without proximity grenades.
I don't remember new ones having those.

>> No.2667612

>>2667601
That's why they lost.

>> No.2667614

>>2667598
Unless it's Mutons since prox grenades can't do much to that 125 health of theirs. They'll still lose health and be easier to kill if they step on one, but forget about OHKO-ing them like you can with Sectoids and Floaters.

>> No.2667616

>>2667385
Because some people would like to play with the original AI.

>> No.2667620

>>2667331
I didn't even think aliens had souls. That's a theological debate I'd rather not get into.

>> No.2668227
File: 21 KB, 810x492, xcom mods.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2660926
Most of mine is to make the game more difficult/long, but balanced.

Final Mod Pack adds a metric shit ton of content, and so far it's all balanced. A lot of the content is stuff that fits thematically too, like adding an alien race based off the box-art thing, Muton Commanders (from the intro cinematic), and a small enemy human group (which was planned but never implemented). Most missions on the lowest difficulty I am just barely winning with casualties ranging from a single rookie to only having two survivors.

Kneel Indicator and Better UI are such simple but useful changes that they should be mandatory.

Fastramp keeps your soldiers from jumping off the side of the Skyranger ramp only to go stand at the end of it. Really should be mandatory, the ramp pathing thing seems to be a bug.

Extra Pockets is a bit of a cheat, but I feel that it's balanced out by the fact that the soldiers still have to be able to carry the weight. And I'd imagine that my soldiers would be equipped with some good straps and shit to carry gear. I wish I could put it behind a small research wall though.

For the custom music pack, I just shoved the tactics and geoscape tracks from every track pack I could find in there, and chose my favorite version of each other track from Cydonias Fall, Sycraft Remaster, or the official soundtracks of the various XCOM releases. My main menu has a different track than the intro cinematic. My autism is pleased.

>> No.2668237

>>2665053
>>2665958

Seconding OpenXcom. It has all the functionality of the previous big hacks/patches like XcomUtil. It's easy as pie to get set up, has multiple ways to handle high resolution screens so you can get a larger play area but not have to squint to see shit, and it supports mods for further bug fixing and customization.

>> No.2668240

>>2668237
Oh, but as >>2667616 said, the AI is slightly different in OXC. Honestly it's nothing you'll notice unless you've played the original DOS version extensively.

>> No.2668280

>>2668240
didn't they reverse the original and swam inside asm code? or is it a "it shud wurk like this" port/refactor?

>> No.2668691

Does anyone know where I can find maps of Terror From The Deep alien colonies, ship, and final mission? I'm looking and can't find any.

>> No.2668710

>>2668280
>didn't they reverse the original and swam inside asm code?

The original game was probably written with that free C++ compiler included with DOS4GW.

>> No.2668941

>alien activity in Australia jumping way up
>let's investigate
>send Skyranger down there
>lotta UFOs everywhere
>alien base shows up in Papua New Guinea
>welp
>battleship touches down next to the base
>are you thinking what I'm thinking?
>we have a mission
>touch down
>it's in the jungle
>at night
>and it's Snakemen
>yes, it's the ol' surround the entrance lift and reaction fire everything that comes out tactic
>just so you know, this is the easy way to clear any Snakeman/Floater/Muton-crewed Battleship

Lost eight dudes and there's still the base to deal with, but fuck, soldiers are cheap and losing a few of them is well worth the amount of loot you recover from battleships.

>> No.2668951

>>2631253
What's /vr/s opinion of openxcom.
Shud I just play the vanilla game?

>> No.2668967

>>2668941
Why not go after the Supply Ships? There's no Blaster Bombs or terrorists on those.

>> No.2668973

>>2668967
The layout is really really annoying. Battleships are pretty easy if you know your tactics, especially because they have only one entrance.

>> No.2669268

>>2668951
IMO there is no solid reason not to play openxcom.

Sure, as some anon said, the AI is different. It had to be rewritten for scratch, and while it was written to behave as similar as possible to the original, it ended being more efficient (deadly) due to stuff like improved pathing. For example I'm never seeing aliens stuck walking back and forth, which wasn't that uncommon in vanilla.
Aliens are also better at throwing grenades and don't hold back on explosives at all (which summed to the improved pathing makes the blaster launcher deadlier than ever); so much that initially (out of concern) aliens were banned from using explosives until turn 3 (now you can change that).

There's also obviously all the ui improvements and extended options/advanced settings; and of course lots of mods.

>> No.2669392

Identifying UFOs before you get the Hyper Wave Decoder is a little tricky, but one protip is that a medium scout on the first day of the month is always the opening of a terror mission.

>> No.2669396

>conquer Snakeman base while losing just one rookie

It was glorious. Got lucky because a Snakeman with a blaster launcher misfired and took out a couple of his buddies along with a Chryssalid.

>> No.2669553

>shoot down Floater Abductor in China
>it's daytime, it's Floaters - should be easy
>take out first alien we see with a rocket - he drops like a lead balloon
>as we're clearing out the area around the UFO, two guys get dropped by shots coming from near a barn
>twice we see Floaters emerge from the UFO and we kill them, but it turns out the guy doing the shooting was popping in and out of the barn
>fuck, they're using bait-and-switch to distract my guys while the hidden dude picks them off
>after putting an end to this nonsense, prepare to storm the UFO
>inside the front foyer is one alien which we quickly drop
>shoot hole in the wall with heavy plasma shot, draw reaction fire
>there's an alien inside the exam room, most likely the medic
>shoot him and hit an alien behind him I didn't even know was there
>noice
>pile everyone into the exam room
>alien comes in the other door, kills one guy, and ducks back out
>send soldier over to take care of that
>the left power supply in the UFO exploded, punching a hole in the wall of the exam room
>all is looking fairly good up to this point, so we're getting ready to head upstairs and knock out the remaining aliens up there
>click end turn
>suddenly out of nowhere explosion followed by alien death sound
>several dead soldiers as well
>what the hell just happened?
>I don't believe it, I don't fucking believe it
>an alien used himself as a fucking suicide bomber on my squad
>he threw the grenade into the hole in the wall, which exploded, killed him, and at three soldiers
>see that my remaining three guys are horribly wounded and have only a few turns left
>oh...hell...no
>scramble to gather the med packs from the dead guys
>manage to heal one soldier
>send another through the hole, kill an alien, and then one behind him with auto fire
>this while she has like 10 health remaining
>that was the last of them, mission over

When we got back to base, only three guys out of the 14 man squad weren't dead or in traction.

>> No.2669608

>>2669553
>pile everyone into the exam room
why would you do this?

>> No.2669672

>>2669553
I had a terror mission where a retarded Floater inside a house tried to grenade my squad. The 'nade just landed next to him and blew him to bits.

>> No.2669680

>>2636312
Once an infiltration starts, it keeps looping forever even after all countries in that region have been infiltrated. Nice little programming oversight. I guess you can always edit your MISSIONS.DAT to stop the retarded aliens from sending infiltration fleets when there's nothing left to infiltrate.

>> No.2669689

>>2669680
Ive heard that base defenses don't work properly, causing retaliation battleships to come and get destroyed over and over again.
Is it same with openxcom?
Also, Is there reason to built multiple radars of the same type?

>> No.2669698

>>2669689
oxc fixed that bug and no, once you get to hyperwave you can dismantle anything else

>> No.2669717

>>2669689
Some people don't even bother with base defenses because of that bug. If you know how to do base defenses (actually much easier than you think), you can just let the aliens come in and then kick their asses. Unless it's Ethereals; in that case always shoot down a retaliation Battleship even if it puts your Avenger in the shop for a month.

>> No.2669719

I was watching Kikoskia's LP and he must be using a different version of UFO Defense than me because he always gets retaliation missions with a completely random alien race while I always get the same one who's UFOs I shot down.

>> No.2669725

>>2669553
I reloaded my save file and redid this mission. This time I didn't lose a single guy. Mostly because unlike earlier, the sides of the abductor got blown out by the power supplies exploding so I just lined up my guys outside and shot any aliens that came out. Then I sent the squad upstairs and ha ha, the Floater leader and navigator had panicked and dropped their weapons. The game was incredibly kind to me this time; my guys took a few plasma shots and miraculously nobody was even wounded. Also one sergeant made a fantastically lucky reaction fire kill of an alien as he emerged from a barn.

Well, maybe not _that_ kind because Floater retaliation scouts are now searching for my base. That's ok; I'm prepared for a base defense anyway. Bring it, you purple pansies.

>> No.2669727

>>2669725
You lucky that wasn't a Sectoid ship or you'd be in tears once your rocket launcher guy with a loaded large rocket gets mind controlled.

>> No.2669730

>>2669727
I know...I've done Sectoid abductors before. There was one game where I shot a hole in the wall of the command center with a heavy plasma round and the psionic-spamming fucker there was facing the door and didn't see my guys lining up to give him a plasma enema. It was an annoying mission especially since this was in jungle. I did have blaster bombs though, so I cleared a large swath of vegetation with them.

>> No.2669736

>>2669680
I don't think this applies to all versions because I checked the MISSIONS.DAT from an old save file. June had just ended and the US and Canada had gotten infiltrated and quit X-Com, but infiltration in North America was no longer active.

>> No.2669749

And in case you didn't know, abduction is strictly a Floater/Sectoid pastime and no other aliens do it. Mutons sometimes do harvest missions, especially in the late game, but only Sectoids and Floaters are into probing your rectum. :^)

>> No.2669793

>>2669719
Why do you even watch him, he puts no thought at all in his tactics and he's a bit obnoxyous.

Metalcanyon's LPs are more comfy, but he suffers from the opposite. He's slow as fuck in tactical mode.

>> No.2669795

>>2669725
>reloading
scum

>> No.2669895

What weapons fit on interceptor to down ufo but not blow it up?
Can you shoot it down and still have elerium?
By using weaker weapons?
Can 4 interceptors with dual cannons each do much?

>> No.2670060

been a while but think it was the best missile cautious attack, be careful not to damage any of the UFO during the mission. Always came home with tons of stuff. and elirium.

>> No.2670061

>>2667616
That's assuming it is considerably different and/or better than OXC's. It is not.

>> No.2670336

So, what does everyone else use for soundtrack while they play?

>> No.2670459

Guys, Im super scared right now.
My base in Yuroop detected small ship over Arctic.
Obviously, I sent an interceptor.
Said interceptor detected additional two small, two large and one very large ufos.
After shooting down one small over the water, I sent second interceptor. It had oly one remaining avalanche missile, So I unloaded it at one of the large ships, hopefully messing some mission.
THEN one small ship landed, and Arctic is easy-mode terrain, so I sent skyranger with my 5 or 6 remaining soldiers that just came back from investigating some crashsite.
That small ship took-of while I was en-route.
HOWEVER, Another one landed nearby, so I went for it.
I was hoping it might be a supply ship, it was specified as large.
Well, it wasn't large.
It wasn't small either.
Yep.
I have 6 guys, on arctic, with nothing but laser rifles, stun batons, flares and some ordinary grenades, storming sectoid battleship, and one guy was just assaulted 4 or 5 times with what I assume was panic inducing psi attack.
What do?
Beginner mode, So hoping I can win this

>> No.2670484

>>2670459
kill em

>> No.2670627

>>2670459
>Beginner mode
Make scary faces and watch ayys panic.

>> No.2670665
File: 32 KB, 638x398, yis.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2670484
>>2670627
Well, It was my first time seeing any ship other than scout, so yeah.
I admit right away, save/load was present multiple times.
5 guys total, 3 being mind-controlled/panicking/going berserk every single turn.
After figuring out that opening the grav door and spamming auto upwards is a way to gain easy kills, it was smooth sailing.
And as I had stunrods at hand, I sacked medic, engi and commander of sectoid variety, in addition to navigator from earlier.
Now I also know my psy weaklings kinda.

If I was playing without saves, I would probably take off after knowing it was battleship.

>> No.2670909

>>2669895
It doesn't matter what weapon you use because the game always uses a fixed probability that each power supply in the UFO has a 75% chance of blowing up.

Having said that, I just equip my Interceptors with dual Avalanches until I have plasma cannons. One Interceptor with plasma cannons can take out anything except a Battleship.

>> No.2670915

>>2670665
>>2670459
>Arctic
They're putting up a base. Have fun taking that out. ;)

>> No.2670919

>>2669793
>Why do you even watch him, he puts no thought at all in his tactics and he's a bit obnoxyous

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD91BACF0E36EE427

This LP is ok compared to the earlier one he did. He did learn his lesson somewhat and has reasonably sound tactics here.

>> No.2670932

>>2670665
>After figuring out that opening the grav door and spamming auto upwards is a way to gain easy kills, it was smooth sailing.

Battleships are actually quite easy if you know the tricks. If Floaters/Snakemen/Mutons, just line your soldiers up around the landing struts and face the entrance lift so they reaction fire everything that comes outside. These tactics won't work for Sectoids or Ethereals though.

>> No.2671314

Floater Abductor II:

>second abductor ship in the wave shows up over China
>shoot it down
>the third abductor then shows up and lands
>send out the Skyranger, but decide to go after the landed ship first
>this mission proves to be a cakewalk; the only casualty is a squaddie we sent into the exam room
>shoot hole in the wall of the command center upstairs and kill the leader
>there's one alien left outside someplace, so I send the B-team to find him
>turns out he's an alien that got knocked unconscious earlier and we just shoot him
>mission over

>> No.2671316

Floater Abductor III:

>head back to base, refuel, and go after the crashed one in the morning
>evidently the aliens are getting upset because they put up extremely tenacious resistance this time
>a whole bunch (like 4-5) are gathered in a shed
>I lose about five dudes in a fierce firefight
>get one guy to prime a high ex, but he runs out of TUs and is left holding a primed bomb
>of course he gets shot by the alien, the grenade explodes, and destroys all of the bodies in the area
>welp, there goes all of my equipment
>send the remaining guys into the UFO
>one rookie is horribly wounded entering the exam room
>takes a while to get her patched up because most of the med packs got destroyed earlier
>after one more casualty, we manage to clear the UFO
>mission over - 7 dead, including some of my best soldiers

>> No.2671395
File: 106 KB, 1548x671, gsx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2671316

>> No.2671415

>>2671395
That sounds about right. Also UFOpedia is correct in that the exam room on Abductors is a major bitch if the ship is intact and doesn't have flattened walls from the power supply blowing. It also said that Superhuman Abductors have four medics on them. I assume all of the guys in the exam room were that.

It's funny because I did three Abductor missions which would each have a total of four medics and two engineers, yet I didn't encounter one alien with a Small Launcher even though medics/engineers often carry them.

>> No.2671416

>>2671415
BTW, some versions of UFO Defense have a bug in them where the game crashes if you research Floater medics. I had a recent game where I got one alive from a base, but I didn't ever research it for that exact reason.

>> No.2671423

>>2671416
>Researching anything other than a navigator and two commanders/leaders

lol?

>> No.2671475

>>2671423
They take up space in your alien containment, dude.

>> No.2671482
File: 54 KB, 656x439, large scout.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of my favorite tactics on Large Scouts is shooting a hole in the engine room and surprise butt secks the engineer. Nobody died on this mission, but I encountered some strange bug where one soldier walked over the dead engineer and set off his Small Launcher. It had no actual effect on the squad though. And as usual, the last alien left was some douchebag holed up in a barn because the AI doesn't know how to walk Floaters down staircases.

>> No.2671507

>>2643551
>>2643542
Mutons all have a psy strength of 29, making them the weakest aliens in the game. The ranking for psy strength goes:

>very high
Cyberdiscs, Sectopods
>high
Psy-capable aliens (Ethereals and Sectoid leaders/commanders)
>medium high
Silacoids, zombies
>medium
Chryssalids, Celatids, Floater/Snakeman leaders/commanders
>low
Reapers, medics, navigators, engineers, and non-Ethereal soldiers
>very low
Mutons

>> No.2671509

>>2671507
There's also a bug where if you mind control a zombie, after it hatches into a Chryssalid, the game doesn't clear the flag that marks it as one of your units. This means the Chryssalid remains under your control for the rest of the mission and you obtain a free scout.

>> No.2671576

>Snakeman terror ship heading to North America
>let's drop that thing into the Atlantic if possible
>no joy, the Interceptor can't find it, runs out of gas, and has to go home
>a few hours later
>ALIENS TERRORIZE VANCOUVER
>only have one heavy plasma clip, so most of the team ends up being armed with laser rifles
>touch down
>it's at night (of course)
>get off to a fairly good start
>kill Snakeman with a rocket
>shoot Chryssalid in a house, but there's another one in there
>Snakeman behind the house shoots at one soldier, wounds her, but hits and kills the Chryssalid
>I don't fucking believe it
>patch up wounded soldier with a med kit
>carefully deploy
>blow up part of the house
>more shooting around the house
>send out my elite officers in flying suits
>kill Chryssalid around another house
>Snakeman with a small launcher spotted
>my commander takes this one out
>damn, he took a beating...three heavy plasma shots to the head to bring him down
>there's a park occupying the upper right corner of the map
>shoot a Snakeman and Chryssalid in the street
>and there's another park in the lower left
>they're dark, so we throw some flares to light them up
>the bad part is that there's also a large warehouse which is almost certainly filled with aliens
>send two rookies through the park
>plasma shot wings past one of them
>evidently there's a Snakeman somewhere in the back of the park where it's dark
>spot a Chryssalid
>continue through the park, hoping we can get him before he gets us
>the guys on the other side of the warehouse take out a Snakeman further down the street, and advance forward
>plasma shots out of nowhere
>one appears to come from the park, so throw a high ex over there
>it works - Snakeman down

>> No.2671579

>meanwhile, the other park still has a Chryssalid and some hidden Snakeman in it
>send my officers to the roof of the warehouse with the idea of using it as a sniper's nest
>my commander is the only guy with heavy plasma, so I move him over to back up the rookies on the ground since they have just laser rifles
>remark to myself "My officers at least are totally safe...Chryssalids can't get you when you're airbo..."
>plasma shot instantly drops my commander like a lead balloon
>you remember that bit in the Simpsons when Homer sticks a glass jar over his head and screams obscenities into it until it fogs over and you can't see his face
>yeah
>throw a grenade, blow out part of the warehouse wall
>two Chryssalids come outside
>and zombify one of the rookies
>it's cool, I can handle this...I only just lost my commander and had a soldier zombified and there's two Chryssalids and a soon-to-be-Chryssalid inches from my other troops...nnnno big deal...
>everyone within range opens fire on the Chryssalids, drops them, and then takes out the zombie
>phew, I can't believe we pulled that off
>at least the zombified soldier was just a rookie and nobody important
>the other rookie gets shot by that hidden Snakeman in the park which we finally locate
>my captain and a pair of squaddies down him
>on the other side of the warehouse, a Snakeman downs the squaddie who took out that other Snakeman with a grenade earlier
>he's somewhere down at the end of the warehouse, but it's dark and we can't see him
>have my captain and sergeant (both wearing Flying Suits) shoot holes in the upper floor of the warehouse and enter
>be amazingly careful because there could still be Chryssalids in there

>> No.2671580

>shoot more holes in the observation deck wall and float above the warehouse floor
>the reason we didn't stay on the OD is because a Chryssalid might come up the staircase
>move around the warehouse, but see nothing
>the squaddies move around the outside, find an unarmed Snakeman, and kill him
>another sergeant gets dropped by the same Snakeman that killed the squaddie earlier
>crap, how am I supposed to get rid of that entrenched alien there
>the squaddies round the bend and spot the Snakeman, killing him at last
>but we're not done yet
>there's a house next to the warehouse and a Snakeman behind it throws a grenade which does nothing but blow up part of the house
>he's unarmed, so we shoot him easily...BUT he's got backup
>some other alien wounds one of the squaddies horribly and he has a few turns left to live
>even worse, he's packing heavy plasma
>somehow, the squaddies manage to bring him down...and mission over
>21 aliens killed and 7 casualties, including at least two of my best officers

>> No.2671608

>>2671580
Another ordinary day at xcom it seems.

What difficulty are you playing?

>> No.2671634

>>2671608
Superhuman of course. :^)

>> No.2671663

>actually doing this nonsense
Any terror mission I face other than Floaters or Mutons gets an instant land and abort.

>> No.2671689

Don't worry; Blaster Bombs are coming soon. The next terror mission will be miles easier. Which is nice because I already know it's gonna be Sectoids. Contrary to what most people tell you, Sectoid terror missions are worse than Snakeman ones. Much, much worse. Especially because you can get them earlier in the game before you have advanced equipment.

>> No.2671692

>>2671689
You mean like your Blaster Bomb guys being psy weaklings.

>> No.2671695

>>2671692
That being one big concern, yes. I did get Sectoids for the February terror mission in the current run actually, but only got 14 aliens because of spawning bottlenecks. When you get a full Superhuman Sectoid terror mission with 20-ish aliens, it's pure, undistilled destruction and mayhem.

>> No.2671767
File: 634 KB, 1920x1080, 2015-09-09-164335_1920x1080_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

felt like being in vietnam

>> No.2671782
File: 154 KB, 421x529, persons-0108.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2671767
>it aint me starts playing

>> No.2671836

>>2671782
Gimme Shelter is better.

>> No.2673117

>>2643565
Sectoids have 30 health (plus about 3-5 armor). Since projectile weapons do between 25 and 75% of their rated damage, this means that Heavy Plasma has a roughly 95% chance of OHKO-ing them (assuming the lowest possible damage they can do is 28).

Mutons obviously the toughest with 125 health and moderately strong armor. Heavy Plasma on average takes 2-3 shots to drop one.

>> No.2673236

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_eC2jzr2Q&index=84&list=PLE2EE3A4EA7101DBA

Lord Finisher makes it all the way to October before getting a Sectoid terror mission. This LP had three Floater terror missions, six (!) Snakeman terror missions, two Muton terror missions, one Sectoid terror mission, and one Ethereal terror mission.

He gets deluged with Snakemen throughout this LP. The game randomizer is a fickle thing. Sometimes you can get nothing but Mutons for months. Ethereals can show up in June and start wreaking havoc, other times you won't see them at all until Cydonia.

>> No.2673540
File: 175 KB, 1821x605, terror1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2671689
Taken care of. I shot down the terror ship in South Africa and managed to take the Sectoid leader alive. All of the Blaster Bombs and Cyberdisc explosions resulted in not much being left of that UFO except a charred shell. Since most of the second floor was destroyed, I walked my guys into the first floor and could look up at the leader. I eventually fired a stun bomb and knocked him out.

Also hit the left upstairs closet with a BB because they often hide terrorists. I was right on the mark; a Cyberdisc corpse dropped down to the first floor after bombarding it. Meanwhile, the leader kept targeting my one captain but I stuffed him in the top floor of a barn far from the other troops. He still managed to take out two aliens; one Sectoid in the first floor of the barn and the other in a nearby fruit orchard.

After taking the leader out, there was a Cyberdisc milling around upstairs, so that required yet another Blaster Bomb. The only alien left now was a Sectoid medic who panicked in the other upstairs closet. One of my sergeants went in and put him out of his misery.

>> No.2673545
File: 90 KB, 961x605, terror2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2673583

>landed snek terror ship
>forgot to re-equip the noobies no armor team I sent to catch a crashed scout
>well, I've got a mixture of plasma/lasers and even a blaster and small launcher with just 1 round each tho.
>got a trooper with normal rifle too
>everythingwillbeok.mov
>get there, it's mountain? terrain, never seen it
>first step outside the ship I see 2 sneks
>3 guys all miss, blaster them
>Press end turn, when I remember I forgot to check 1 side. Well, the ship was right next to the skyranger and I've got the entrance proxy-mined. Nothing can go wrong.
>Except from the side I didn't check were 2 chrysallids who raped 4 of my 12 troopers. A-at least I got another 2 sneks exciting from the ship
>engage panic mode, throw smokes to cover our troops retreat to the skyranger, fuck this ship
>get 3 of my guys inside... other troops near the ramp, sent two of them to kamikaze the zombies/chryssalids with alien grenades
>a lot of booms go off. 3 chrysalids(1 newborn too) killed. Think my guys will survive.
>except every single one of then panicked, two went berserk
>one of the berserk guys had the small launcher
>everyone is either sleeping or zombified the next turn
FML

>> No.2673685

>>2673583
>landed snek terror ship

Infiltration mission I see. Snakemen rarely do infiltration, but every once in a while it happens. I have more experience with Sectoid-crewed terror ships than any other race because they do a lot of infiltration missions (where you can catch a landed one). Floater ones seem to be the rarest because they aren't generally into the infiltration business and most Floater terror missions happen early in the game before I have the ability to shoot the ships down.

Most of the Snakeman terror ships I've fought were piss easy thanks to Blaster Bombs and heavy plasma. :^)

>> No.2673706

Anyway, I just started June and the undaunted Sectoids have immediately started a new terror mission in North Africa. Even closer to home, even easier to shoot down when it comes. Also Mutons are preparing to infiltrate Yurop so eventually we're going to be welcomed by a Terror Ship, Supply Ship, Battleship, base...ouch.

>shoot down medium scout
>normally when it's medium scouts, I just equip everyone with laser rifles but Mutons are tough nuts to crack so heavy plasma is a necessity
>at least two Mutons get stunned so we have to throw grenades and avoid accidentally bringing one home alive
>while searching for the last alien, he shoots at and fatally wounds one squaddie (Harrison Ford)

Come on, Harrison Ford is too awesome to die like tha...well ok at least Mutons are a somewhat worthy opponent. Being shot by a Floater would be a pathetic end.

Also the Sectoids are retaliating for my having shot down their Terror Ship. I recently got done with a Floater retaliation mission that failed to find my base and gave up. Hopefully these guys don't find me either.

>> No.2673831
File: 7 KB, 320x200, BACK02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know where can I watch good players play X-Com or Terror from the Deep?

>> No.2673882

>>2673831
Metalcanyon has a pair of regular xcom playthroughs, an openxcom playthrough and a tftd playthrough.

Also a couple incomplete apocalypse playthroughs because he used copyrighted music and even xcom eu and ew playthroughs (no longwar tho).

He's even done xenonauts (no ce tho) and a couple other x-com-likes.

not shilling btw, I just like his soothing voice, perfect before going to bed late night.

>> No.2673938

>>2673882

Thanks for the recommendation, I enjoy that sort of thing too.

>> No.2674842
File: 36 KB, 656x439, uh oh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's your reaction when you see this on your screen?

>> No.2674847

>>2674842
Me planning to land and abort the moment that terror mission happens. Fuck that shit.

>> No.2674853

>>2674847
Yeah smart move. ;)

Anyway, I shot down their scout ship. Wasn't too bad; lost three dudes which is about average. The only guy they seemed interested in mind controlling was this one squaddie named Squidward, but they didn't have any luck with it. I did lose a colonel though (and a Flying Suit, goddammit) when he got reaction fired. I was mildly annoyed because one Ethereal got stunned, so I had to throw a grenade to get rid of his body. Another got stunned and got back up twice in a row. The UFO was also completely intact so I got some Elerium out of it.

Ironically I armed one captain with a laser pistol so I could use him for psyker b8 (he was a known psy weakling) but he never got targeted, it was just that squaddie.

>> No.2674967

>Muton infiltration fleet rolls into town
>shoot down Terror Ship
>touch down, quickly wipe a few Muties in the landing zone
>shoot a Celatid in a barn in front of the Skyranger
>there's a couple of random Silacoids around outside
>shoot those and a second Celatid
>throw grenade when one gets stunned
>another Silacoid almost gets the jump on one soldier, but he's quickly dealt with
>fire a Blaster Bomb to punch an entrance in the front of the UFO
>and another one on the top floor
>misjudge slightly and end up breaching the bridge area instead of the side closet like I intended
>one officer gets shot down by a Muton, costing me a Flying Suit
>another Muton and a Celatid are around the breach area in the first floor
>fire another BB in there to take care of them
>fire BB upstairs to get into the right closet
>send officers in Flying Suits inside and find the bridge completely deserted
>another guy enters the closet and finds a Silacoid in there
>shoot him, but he's just stunned
>move around the upstairs of the UFO and encounter no aliens
>downstairs, a Celatid gets dropped by reaction fire as he comes outside
>go into the left upstairs closet and kill a Muton cowering in there
>head down the grav lift
>click End Turn and mission over

That was amazingly easy. I did not think that would be so easy. Too bad the one guy I lost just had to be wearing an expensive Flying Suit.

>> No.2675186

>>2674967
Muton terror ships=bigtime Elerium grab:

>four power supplies
>no psionics
>terrorists that can't do anything unless they're close enough to see the whites of your soldiers' eyes
>double wide doors for tanks

Easiest 200 Elerium ever. Battleships almost but not quite because aliens have Blaster Launchers there.

>> No.2675189

>>2675186
If you're playing on lower difficulty levels. On Superhuman, Mutons have better reactions and more armor, making them tough to kill without heavy plasma.

>> No.2675191

>>2675186
My squad were exploring the second floor of a Muton terror ship...

>one guy rounds a corner and nearly takes an acid blast in the face from a Celatid
>who thankfully missed

Celatids' attack does 140 (!) damage although the range is only a couple of squares so you're unlikely to ever have to worry about it.

>> No.2675428

>>2675186
What about Floater terror ships? Even easier still. ;)

>> No.2675432

>>2675428
Yeh but Terror Ships only appear in two mission types (terror attack and infiltration) and only land in one of them. Since Floaters seldom do infiltration, you're unlikely to catch one on the ground while Mutons do most of those missions in the mid to late game.

>> No.2675440

>>2675432
There was a German dude who did a UFO Defense LP and he does get a rare Floater infiltration mission. Also a rare Snakeman research mission.

>> No.2675453

Welp, in my current game I have Ethereal terror coming up. At least I can just shoot down the Terror Ship, preferably in the ocean.

>> No.2675459

>>2675453
Pussy.

>> No.2675461

>>2675459
>shoot down terror ship
>face around 14 mind controlling fuckers and as many as 10 Sectopods

Try to process this for a moment...

>> No.2675480

>>2675461
One trick is to use soldiers with low psy strength as bait. Arm them with a laser pistol and let the aliens just mind control them. I found that in an average 14 man squad, two guys are psy-weak.

As for the Sectopods, break out the laser rifles. Lasers do 110% of their rated damage to a Sectopod while plasma weapons only do 80%. If playing on Superhuman, about 4-5 taps with a laser rifle should drop them. Assuming you can hit them in the rear where they have thin armor, 1-2 shots will do it. Otherwise, Sectopods are similar to a Cyberdisc in that they have high reactions and a quite deadly weapon. Sectopods are armed with a laser cannon which does 100 damage, less than the Cyberdisc's 130 but as a tradeoff it does have auto fire (which Cyberdiscs do not have).

Also Sectopods do not explode when destroyed which is both an advantage and disadvantage.

>> No.2675483

Is armor even worth it? My guys seem to always die instantly anyway.

>> No.2675505

>>2675483
Depends on luck to an extent, but any armor is better than no armor. Unarmored soldiers have a nearly 80% chance of dying or suffering a fatal wound while personal armor cuts that down to about 50-60%. On the other hand, by the time you reach Month 7 or so, most aliens are packing heavy plasma. Sometimes plasma rifles are still seen, but the plasma pistol all-but vanishes from the aliens' arsenal at that point.

And there's the big difference between UFO Defense and TFTD. The former is a a very offensive-oriented game. Most aliens are quite easy to kill and heavy plasma basically destroys everything except Sectopods. Of course your soldiers also die pretty easily. TFTD on the other hand is defense-oriented - you will lose a lot less troops, but many aliens especially Lobstermen are horribly frustrating to kill. For example, TFTD's equivalent of heavy plasma is bulky, has no auto fire, half the ammo, and requires a high amount of time units to use.

>> No.2675509

>>2675505
In UFO Defense, generally auto firing at close range is a guaranteed kill while in TFTD it's not (shoot a Lobsterman at close range and he'll probably reaction fire you).

UFO Defense is somewhat more forgiving in terms of its damage spread - ranged weapons do between 25 and 75% of their rated damage while TFTF has a narrower range meaning there's a higher chance you get killed or suffer fatal wounds.

>> No.2675518

Armor really helps to survive grenade attacks. In my experience, if an alien grenades a group of your soldiers, generally only the guy at the center of the blast dies while the others are just wounded and can be fixed up with med kits.

>> No.2675535

The problem with power armor is that you're afraid to commit those soldiers to battle so as not to lose the stuff and waste valuable Elerium making more. Usually I just give the front-line grunts personal armor while reserving Flying Suits for my elite officers.

>> No.2675953

>>2675480
Doesn't work in OpenXCOM. The aliens will just psi control everyone else.

My guys allahu ackbar'd with high explosives and wiped the landing squad.

>> No.2676605

>>2675953
They do prefer low psi strength units, even in OXC. As far as I experienced, until turn 20, when aliens get total map and unit vision, they target with psi attacks only the units seen by at least one of them, regardless from whether they are in sight or not. So let's say a unit with low psi strength was amidst your troops in the Skyranger and in the first turn there was an alien just in front of you. Even after you take out the alien, he and the soldiers that were visible are fair target for every psychic unit for the rest of the battle, with him being a very appealing target. And remember, psi controlled units count as enemies, meaning a mind controlled soldier in the middle of your men can make everyone a future target.

>> No.2676661

>>2674853
>Ironically I armed one captain with a laser pistol so I could use him for psyker b8

Like the other guy said, aliens can only MC someone if they can see him (until Turn 20).

>> No.2678678
File: 61 KB, 656x439, Muton Battleship.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Standard tactics for Battleships crewed by non-psyker aliens. Just line everyone up in front of the entrance lift and blaze away. I eventually got them panicking and there turned out to also be two Mutons hiding in a wheat field behind a barn who repeatedly went berserk.

The one power supply here is destroyed because I had to fire a Blaster Bomb to get rid of a BL-toting alien. I didn't want to lose Elerium, but I didn't have much of a choice either.

>> No.2679002

>>2678678
Forgot: Throw proximity grenades there. They won't OHKO Mutons, but they'll soften them a bit making it easier for your soldiers to kill.

>> No.2679137

>Sectoid terror ship headed to North Africa
>try to shoot it down, can't catch it...
>ALIENS TERRORIZE LAGOS
>oh well, at least it's daytime
>while deploying from the Skyranger, lose one soldier because his accuracy is a joke
>fuck, he deserved it
>blow up a couple of Cyberdiscs in the street
>one squaddie goes down when a shot comes out of an apartment
>fire Blaster Bomb in there, but don't kill anything
>later on, I find two Sectoids in the ruined apartment and kill them
>send guys in Flying Suits to scout out the remaining aliens
>since the warehouse is the only unexplored part of the map left...
>send Flying Suit guys to the roof
>walk down the staircase to the observation deck and...there's a Cyberdisc holed up in the warehouse
>of course
>he's also floating up in the air
>I might be able to get a Blaster Bomb in there, but it'd be a hell of a crooked shot
>fire one and it blows some stuff up, but no sign that the Cyberdisc got knocked out
>cautiously move into the warehouse
>one guy takes a nasty wound
>crap, I not only didn't destroy that Cyberdisc, I gave him an express route
>manage to shoot and blow the thing up anyway
>mission over

>> No.2679138

Also a Sectoid Battleship showed up on a retaliation mission, but after a few tense moments, it didn't find my base and left.

>> No.2679246

So I really enjoy doing terror missions, but mainly because I like urban fighting over shooting aliens in a field. Are there any mods or anything that would make more of the non-terror missions happen in cities?

>> No.2679323

>take out landed Muton Harvester in the Caribbean
>five soldiers killed
>also that Muton base from the infiltration is up and running

Dammit, I've had enough Mutons for one game. If I have to hear that death sound they make one more time...

>> No.2679346

>>2679246
>So I really enjoy doing terror missions

You won't be saying that when you do an Ethereal terror mission.

>> No.2679836
File: 223 KB, 1000x1423, XCOM UFO DEFENSE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I've been playing OpenXcom for a while now. It's amazing what the dev team has done and it's great to finally play the without all the bugs and other annoyances.

However I kind of miss the old style geoscape, without the dithering effect. I saw some screenshots of early builds of OpenXcom and they had the classic style shading on the geoscape there. I wonder if this is a toggle option somewhere and I missed it? Also for some reason the "AdLib" synth option makes the music stereo. The synthesizer on that card was actually mono. I don't think the FM synth emulator is something the OpenXcom developers wrote though. Dosbox does it correctly. Is it the same for everyone else here too?

>> No.2680067

>>2679836
Adlib is probably closer to Soundblaster in this case. Don't know why they named it that.

>> No.2680273

>>2680067
adlib is the name of the library dufus

>> No.2680437

>first terror mission of new game
>Floaters - semi nighttime
>lose two soldiers to my own stupidity
>one accidentally placed too close to where I threw a high explosive
>the other when the guy behind him reaction fired an alien and blew him to bits with an auto cannon HE round
>lose two due to bullshit
>Floater turns around a corner and shoots two of them dead
>another horribly wounded when a Reaper bites and knocks him unconscious

>> No.2680443
File: 1.07 MB, 1569x1191, Adlib_sound_card_version_1.5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2680273

AdLib was a company that produced soundcards. They included a synthesizer chip called YM3812 for music on their cards, which became a standard in the early 90's PC games.

>> No.2680475

The Adlib card debuted in 1987 and was little more than a YM3812 with some TTL logic to connect it to the ISA bus. King's Quest IV was the first commercial game to support it.

ISA Soundblaster cards sported a real YM3812 for Adlib compatibility, but PCI models simply emulated it in software.

>> No.2680613

>Floater Harvester touches down in the Falklands
>pretty easy battle - lose two dudes and two more wounded
>go into the side door with the cow on the table (the surgery room)
>one guy gets knocked out by Stun Bomb-wielding medics and I can't get him up again for the rest of the mission
>remember that you can't get upstairs from the surgery room
>apparently I lost a piece of my brain and forgot about the retarded layout of Harvesters
>spend multiple turns marching everyone back out so they can go in the front door of the ship
>it turns out that all the remaining aliens panicked and dropped their shit
>shoot the unarmed idiots
>last alien left is cowering in the top floor of a barn
>easily dispatched with

>> No.2680636

>>2680613
Also if this is a harvest mission, it means that a Battleship is showing up which gives me an opportunity to get a commander early, especially since it's pudding-easy Floaters.

>> No.2680846
File: 15 KB, 1360x768, Xcom cyclops.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did heavy armor and certain aliens had laser vulnerability in the original xcom too or is this an openxcom addition?
>pic unrelated

>> No.2680870

>>2680067
>Adlib is probably closer to Soundblaster in this case. Don't know why they named it that.

Probably because everyone knew of it by that name, but due to Soundblasters being the most common soundcard, they kept the name as people associated the two together.

>> No.2680874

>>2680846
Sectopods were vulnerable to laser in the original, weren't they?

>> No.2680886

>>2680874
But i have also seen in the openxcom ufopedia that power suit's have a 120% vulnerability to lasers

>> No.2680934 [DELETED] 

>>2680846
Sectopods take 110% damage from lasers.

>> No.2680940

Sectopods take 110% damage from lasers, but resist most other weapons.

>> No.2680943

>>2680636
Fuck, the Battleship touched down in the desert...super easy, open terrain...and I forgot to pack the stun rods so I couldn't capture the Floater commander alive.

>> No.2681368

From UFOpedia:

"Snakemen may make an occasional appearance early on, but do not begin to show up in force for a few months."

Uh huh. They have a roughly 20% of a base or infiltration mission in February-March and 10% chance of a research mission. No terror attacks until April.

Early Snakeman bases are tough to deal with mostly because you only have laser rifles at this point and trying to kill Chryssalids with them is hard.

>> No.2681371

I finally mastered tftd tactical combat. Smokes are the most important item at xcom's disposal.

>> No.2681393

>>2681368
Snakemen have no particular combat advantages other than good firing accuracy. They're slightly tougher to kill than a Floater, but that's about it.

Laser rifles are fine for just about any enemy except Mutons, which you really need Heavy Plasma for. Considering that they have 125 health and laser rifles have 60 HP, it may take up to six hits to down them. A properly tooled out team with HP basically turns Mutons into cannon fodder.

>> No.2681741

>>2680943
Smoke grenade him or beat him with a rifle

>> No.2682241

fasdqwrohaooas

>first battleship landed in tftd (1st time playing)
>it's an aquaman sub with jellyfish terror units. wew.
>I have gauss weaponry, manage to kill the terror units after 1084175173 shots because they're though as fuck
>half of my squad was taking potshots at the jellys in the safety of a smoke
>except when I am finally ready to move out, one of those faggy aquashitters stun bombs 8 of my guys
>EIGHT
>at least they're not dead, make short work of pratically everyone
>ship is hella cool, with multiple balconies
>everyone panicked
>manage to stun an aquaman leader, cool
>only another aquafag left, he panicked earlier so he's got no weapons
>send my 4 guys with stun batons positioned so he can't move
>they stun the fuck out of him, 5 FUCKING HITS
>he didn't go to sleep
>except he allahu ackbar'd with an alien nade
WEW
FUCK
IT'S MARCH AND I ALREADY LOST 30 AQUANAUTS

>> No.2682396

Fuck, tftd segfaults now.
Can any of you try this save with openxcum nightly?

it always crashes when I begin the nightly terror mission

http://a.uguu.se/doeftt_fuck122.sav

>> No.2682441

>>2682396

Works for me (2015-09-12 nightly). Could be one of your mods that's making it crash.

>> No.2682443

>>2682441
you did the terror mission right? You're running linux too? I'll try disabling every mod and enabling what I need.

>> No.2682448

>>2682441
>>2682443
fuck, it's the PSX music/effects pack.
fuck fuck fuck

Didn't think it could be that, but it's the only non-official mod I'm running. It worked fine in every previous map tho :(

>> No.2682453

>>2680613
When you start a mission, the game engine distributes weapons to aliens according to their rank and then afterwards checks the race. If it's a rank that that particular race doesn't have, they get changed to something else but retain their weapon. Only Sectoids and Floaters have all ranks - Mutons are limited to soldiers, navigators, and engineers, Snakemen have no medics, and Ethereals have only soldiers, leaders, and commanders.

Small launchers are only carried by engineers and medics, except on Battleships/base missions where engineers get Blaster Launchers instead. Leaders have plasma weapon on smaller UFOs and can get a BL on Battleships. Commanders either plasma weapons or BL.

>> No.2682456

>>2682448
Worse than worse, I can't identify which file's the problem. Stderr only mentions the segfault, verbose logging doesn't ouput anything significant either.

;_;

>> No.2682529

>>2682453
I've been duped by that countless times.

>stun rod alien near a base command center
>he has a blaster launcher, so is commander, right?
>fug, it's just an engineer

>> No.2682835

damn.
Just damn.

They fixed the "bug" in oxc that allowed you to visit a terror site and abort immediately.

Every civilian becomes a casualty if you do so.

Also still tftd 1st timer here:
>aliums attacked a fockin boat
>shown as terror site
>think I'll have to fight near a sinked boat, so well, I'll send my team + the aquajet cochelant or w/e its name is
>we're ON the boat
>fuck
>the tank is useless over water with that weapon
>after a long and strenous fight manage to clear the ship, losing 4 of my boys
>think it's time to pack home
>WEW NERD, IT'S A 2-PART MISSION, ENJOY FIGHTING IN THE MACHINERY ROOMS, oh but you can abort now to escape
>my soldiers are almost out of ammo
>decide to be a shitter and prepare to savescum, just want to see how this thing plays out
>team of 6 gets reduced to 4 in 4 turns because this fucking shitty is so cramped, it's either you jump at them or they do
>out of ammo
>decide to reload and press abort
>31 civvies dead, -600 xcum points, thanks for clearing half of the ship chum!
>thought the civs counted were the ones on the first part
>port attack immediately after
>don't have the will to do it, visit the site and abort
>-600 points thanks for paying visit nerd!

holy shit I'm so fucking mad. Whoever thought making a 2-part terror mission fought 90% time in cramped spaces deserves to be fucking shot. In normal ones you manage to BREAK EVEN because the dead civs count is always so huge, but making it 2 part, with double the civs, double the casualties... I can't really handle it.

The only choice now is rushing M.C. so I won't have to properly fight right? What a bummer.

>> No.2682840

>>2682835
>They fixed the "bug" in oxc that allowed you to visit a terror site and abort immediately.
>Every civilian becomes a casualty if you do so.
It was always that way in UFO Defense. If you abort a terror mission, all surviving civvies are counted as dead.

>> No.2682843

>>2682835
>holy shit I'm so fucking mad. Whoever thought making a 2-part terror mission fought 90% time in cramped spaces deserves to be fucking shot

TFTD really needed more playtesting. They were in too much of a hurry to get it out the door to fulfill Microprose's demand for a UFO Defense followup.

>> No.2682856

Here's a few tactics I use (starting in mid-game):

>Small/Medium Scout
These missions I equip everyone with laser rifles only. No heavy plasma unless Mutons because you need that extra punch for them. No Blaster Launchers and only one officer.
>Large Scout
HP+one Blaster Launcher.
>all larger UFOs, base assaults, terror missions
Two Blaster Launchers. Base and terror missions are 100x easier when you can decimate everything with them.

During the early game, I bring along four Auto Cannons with HE rounds and a Rocket Launcher, but those generally get phased out once I have better weapons. I'll usually keep one Auto Cannon with incendiary rounds for nighttime missions.

>> No.2682928

I actually liked the 2 part missions in TFTD.

>> No.2682969
File: 38 KB, 630x394, screen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you feel capturing a commander in March? And it cost me only two soldiers.

>> No.2682973

>>2682928
how do you tackle the second part

>> No.2683074

>>2682969

>>2637961
:^)

>> No.2683329

>>2641841
He did two X-Com LPs - one of them on Beginner mode and the other on Superhuman. The first LP he easily manages to bag a Sectoid commander from a base and goes to Cydonia in August, the other he tries and fails in like six consecutive alien bases before finally mind controlling a Snakeman commander when they retaliate on his base.

I believe I figured out why he had such a frustrating time getting a commander on the Superhuman LP - unlike on lower difficulty levels, the alien commander normally does not spawn in the command center because it has four spawn points in it and on Superhuman, there's four leaders. Since the game always places leaders first, it means that the commander won't spawn inside the HQ room and can instead be dropped in some completely random part of the base.

In short, he kept killing all of the commanders in those bases because he naturally assumed they'd be inside the command center, but they weren't because playing on Superhuman.

>> No.2683390
File: 1.87 MB, 1464x809, scart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i am terrified guys. 2 men and a hovertank remain.

>> No.2683403
File: 1.72 MB, 1234x760, RIP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2683390
HANDLED IT

>> No.2684089

>>2683390
>>2683403
I have to admit, I am not terribly familiar with fighting Ethereals on anything bigger than a scout.

>> No.2684627

>April starts
>aliens terrorize Paris
>pretty much a typical Floater terror mission - we use them for target practice, three rookies get iced, one wounded
>as the Skyranger is passing across Africa en route to Europe, spot a small UFO on the ground in the Sahara

Welp, at least we know where the new terror mission is going to be. And since this is April, Snake Season is upon us.

>> No.2684718
File: 41 KB, 639x394, oh shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ha ha, time to evacuate your bowels.

>> No.2684721

>>2684718
Everyone back in the Skyranger and hit Abort. amirite?

>> No.2684728

>>2684721
Luckily Heavy Plasma cuts through Cyberdiscs like freaking butter. This mission was actually incredibly easy and I only lost two guys. Mostly because it was during daytime and I killed the Sectoid leader early on so no mind control antics.

Pretty soon, they started panicking and dropping their shit, which made things still easier. My one sergeant was kicking ass. He killed about five aiyys and had only 10 shots left in his gun at the end.

>> No.2684861

>>2684718

Is that OpenXcom? I swear they increased the number Cyberdiscs, I don't remember the original having so many. The last terror mission I did had like five of them.

>> No.2684917

>>2684861
No it's the old DOS version on Superhuman. You're supposed to get 6-10 terrorists, but it's often less than that because some of the city tilesets don't have enough spawn points. There were about six Cyberdiscs on this mission.

>> No.2684929

My save file also somehow got corrupted so I had to go back and redo the thing. I had last saved like two weeks before it happened so in the meantime I shot down a Sectoid scout on a Harvest mission and triggered a retaliation. Shot down two Medium Scouts. One was pudding easy and I didn't lose anyone, the other I unwisely went after at night and on top of it forgot to equip some rookies with armor. A lone Sectoid killed three fucking guys.

Also when I went back and redid the terror mission, it was not as easy this time. Five dudes went down two of whom had expensive Power Suits. That and one of my best officers spent most of the mission sitting on the ground yelling gibberish about Jews controlling the world because he kept getting mind controlled.

>> No.2685056

>>2682973
Get to the second part as better as you can. Try to just bomb the synomium device (the atom like thingy in the middle of an important looking room) and make a run for it in alien bases, colonies and artifacts, to save yourself from Tentaculat close combat. Memorize the layout, TFTD has lesser variation, especially in ship mission, than UFO.

>> No.2685062
File: 2.63 MB, 3264x2448, 20150913_155133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hello

>> No.2685071
File: 44 KB, 636x398, scjrj.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Damn.

>> No.2685126

>>2685062
>a novel
What!?
What is it about?

>> No.2685130

>>2685062
>By Diane Duane

Is there a tie in novel she won't write?

>> No.2685231

>landed Sectoid Harvester in South Africa
>ok...we just did a Floater Harvester like a month ago now they're at it again, but different aliens
>during the initial deployment, all goes well
>aliens come at us from all directions, but we manage to kill each of them
>soon there's nine dead Sectoids littering the field
>everything goes incredibly well until we start getting ready to enter the UFO which is when the mind controlling starts
>Fluttershy gets targeted
>have her drop her gun
>send the rest in as Fluttershy repeatedly goes insane
>Moe (one of my sergeants) gets shot dead by an alien
>dammit, lost a Power Suit
>kill one of the medics inside the surgery room
>the other guys go upstairs
>shoot hole through the wall of the engine room to make a shortcut
>while the A team led by Juggalo (captain and veteran of many missions) is exploring upstairs, Conan repeatedly gets targeted and goes berserk
>now here's the unbelievable part
>he accidentally shoots two aliens in a row while spilling his spaghetti
>meanwhile, Fluttershy is still nuts
>fuck you, you stupid pastel-colored horse
>the intent is to stun rod the Sectoid leader and take him alive
>the A team marches upstairs while Conan's luck finally runs out
>another alien comes around the corner and shoots him unconscious
>oh crap, he needs medical attention
>send a rookie with a med kit but can't get there in time and Conan expires
>fuck, there goes another Power Suit
>we want to stun rod the Sectoid leader and take him alive, which seems pretty easy because he's starting to panic now
>but no, instead he comes in the door and my soldiers reaction fire him
>just before this happened, the rookie who tried to save Conan gets psykered
>after killing the leader, it's mission over
>four casualties and we lost that rookie because he was still under alien control

>> No.2685329

>>2684089
When doing an Ethereal terror mission, you need to kill as many of them as you can in the first few turns, preferably by demolishing the place with Blaster Bombs. Don't worry about civilian casualties, the only thing that matters is your survival. With luck, you can get them to start panicking.

If 1-2 soldiers get MC-ed, disarm them and just let the aliens use them as psy sponges.

>> No.2686026 [DELETED] 

-

>> No.2686245 [DELETED] 

Nighttime Sectoid terror mission. Lot of close-quarters fighting, lot of destruction. Just the way I like it.

Also as the Skyranger was heading back home, the Hyperwave Decoder picked up a Snakeman scout heading to South America for the next terror mission.

>> No.2686247
File: 63 KB, 637x399, Egyptian terror.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nighttime Sectoid terror mission. Lot of close-quarters fighting, lot of destruction. Just the way I like it.

Also as the Skyranger was heading back home, the Hyperwave Decoder picked up a Snakeman scout heading to South America for the next terror mission.

>> No.2686254

>>2686247
I will admit, I found the idea of doing a nighttime Sectoid terror mission absolutely horrifying, but we came through with just two casualties and one guy wounded, although I lost one of my valued officers in a Power Suit. My captain (the guy in the pic with the Auto Cannon) was saved by his PS - he took two Cyberdisc shots without getting a scratch.

The Auto Cannon was mostly just for nighttime illumination - Heavy Plasma pretty much obsoletes them as a combat weapon. I guess you could use incendiary ammo on zombies or Reapers, but it's rarely worth the effort.

>> No.2686589

>Snakeman Terror Ship heading to Brazil
>let's take that thing out now
>shoot it down in the Amazon
>bring out the Flying Suits and Blaster Launchers
>we get swarmed right off the bat
>Chryssalids surrounding the goddamn Skyranger
>also a Snakeman or three
>have to use Blaster Bombs to get rid of two of the Chryssalids
>somehow clear the landing area
>there's no way I should have been able to extricate myself from that, but somehow I did
>one of my squaddies (Pervy Sage - bad Naruto reference, I know) gets horribly wounded
>I patch him up with a med pack, but he only has like 6 health and quickly drops from smoke inhalation
>get busy clearing the UFO
>use BB to punch a hole in the upstairs closet to create an entry point
>a Chryssalid hiding in there gets torched
>knew there was one up there
>anyway, three officers (Mr. Krabs, Suicune, Juggalo) and one squaddie (Squidward) in Flying Suits head into the top floor of the UFO
>Suicune is my commander, so I'm taking extra special care to not get him killed
>pop in and out of the closet door onto the deck, shoot a Chryssalid and what I assume are the Snakeman leader and a navigator
>meanwhile, the grunts in personal armor are making their way into one of the UFO's front doors
>one Snakeman has panicked and dropped his gun
>shoot him once, but not enough TUs left so wait until next turn
>suddenly a grenade flies out of nowhere and kills one soldier, the Snakeman, and badly wounds another guy

>> No.2686590

>fuck, he was so desperate to get my guys that he killed one of his own comrades
>patch the injured rookie with a med pack
>upstairs, everything seems clear
>shoot another Snakeman and click End Turn
>suddenly a Chryssalid dashes out of the upstairs closet and zombifies Mr. Krabs
>kill the Chryssalid and zombie
>crap, I lost a Flying Suit
>the top floor has no more aliens left and the bottom floor also appears to be clear
>thus the last ones are probably out in the jungle somewhere
>Suicune heads downstairs and leads the grunts outside
>Pervy Sage finally wakes up and takes his gun
>one of the rookies kills an unarmed Snakeman outside the UFO
>and the last alien left is a Snakeman in a patch of jungle who dropped his weapon
>Pervy Sage needs to redeem himself after spending most of the mission passed out under the Skyranger, so I let him have this one
>mission over

Three casualties - two rookies and Mr. Krabs. The fucking hilarious part is that Squidward got promoted and took his place as a sergeant. I knew I named him that for a reason. :^)

>> No.2686878

>Snakeman Supply Ship heading off to North America
>go out there and find the base in Mexico
>completely devastate the place - they didn't stand a chance
>26 aliens fall and I lose nobody

Two Blaster Launchers and a band of elite soldiers in Flying Suits can get some things accomplished.

>> No.2686990

>TFTD
>April, Aliens attack ship
>3 days before MC evals finish
>Send in A team to handle it
>It's Tasoths
>Stun one and throw it in the triton
>Captain Badass under molecular control
>kills my two best snipers
>everybody panics
>eventually get out, 5 dead
>look at research list in base
>Tasoth Commander
>mfw

>> No.2687076

>aliens terrorize Wellington, NZ
>and it's Snakemen
>utterly demolish the place with Blaster Bombs
>find Snakeman trying to shoplift candy bars from a gas station
>one rookie fails to land a hit on him, so I just say fuck it and send a BB in there
>holy crap, that gas station was totally flattened
>the shop portion of it anyway - I'm serious, there was nothing left
>then towards the end, I lose an officer in a Flying Suit and a squaddie in a Power Suit from an entrenched alien's reaction shots
>just manage to kill a Chryssalid before it can zombify a civilian

X-Com - saving your town from aliens by completely leveling it.

>> No.2687112

>>2686990
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Tasoth

Tasoths don't actually have commanders; you ran into a bug.

>> No.2687162

>>2682843
'Specially the illogical tech tree.

>need Calcinite corpse to research melee weapons
>easier said than done because Aquatoid terror missions are rare
>need Lobsterman commander to beat the game (other commanders are worthless)
>need both a live and a dead Deep One for other important stuff

Also other stuff like maps having 450 rooms and the bifurcated terrorists (terror sites have different terrorists than underwater missions)

>> No.2687238

>>2687112
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=TRTBAG#The_Tasoth_Commander_Trap

>> No.2687363

>>2687162
I don't see a problem about some more enemy variety and not getting the endgame on a silver plate since you got a commander from weak alien race.
Calcinites being a requirement for melee is truly bullshit, since they are fun to use.
And thank them for realizing after release that you shouldn't need a Lobstermen Navigator for researching Magnetic Navigation. Otherwise you would see ion armors, transmission decoders and good subs a lot later in the game.

>> No.2687756

>>2687363
>I don't see a problem about some more enemy variety and not getting the endgame on a silver plate since you got a commander from weak alien race.

I know...

>>2637961

>> No.2687759

>>2687162
>need both a live and a dead Deep One for other important stuff

That's hardly asking for much since Deep Ones are some of the easiest terrorists in the game and they show up mostly in the first three months of the game.

If you don't capture them of course you're screwed since Gillman terror missions are rare after March.

>> No.2688251

pardon me beign a retard but how do i use psyonic lab ?
i have it built and i dont know how to use it

>> No.2688347

>>2688251
Wait for your next month. Put whoever soldier you want to a maximum of ten, possibly someone with high Psi Strength if you are playing OXC and you already know. Keep them alive until the end of the month. Enjoy your fresh batch of balance breaking units.

>> No.2688597

>>2688347
Freshly trained psykers will be weak and inexperienced, so have them practice on low psy strength aliens like Mutons and Floaters.

>> No.2688817

>>2687363
TFTD does have a bit more variety of its enemies than UFO Defense.

>alien race that builds colonies will only be present for the initial construction/supply
>the base itself always has Aquatoids/Tasoths (and their accompanying terrorists) guarding the outside part with Lobstermen always inside the base
>mixed crews (albeit only for terror mission)
>different terrorists underwater than on land

>> No.2688819

>>2688817
>alien race that builds colonies will only be present for the initial construction/supply
>the base itself always has Aquatoids/Tasoths (and their accompanying terrorists) guarding the outside part with Lobstermen always inside the base

Didn't know this. Not real familiar with TFTD tbh.

>> No.2688824

>>2688819
Yeah it's not like UFO Defense where the same alien race builds a base, supplies, and mans it. In TFTD, the outer part of an alien colony has a fixed layout while the inner part is randomly generated. The outer part always has Aquatoids, Tasoths, and terrorists guarding it while the inner part always has Lobstermen and their terrorists. On the other hand, the race that builds the colony and supplies it can be totally different.

>> No.2688958

>>2688824
Outside part of colonies will be guarded by Aquatoids/Tasoths/Hallucinoids/Tentaculats while the inside has Lobstermen and Tentaculats.

This is one reason for the vastly enhanced difficulty of TFTD - you could get an early alien colony mission which has Lobstermen and other tough opponents when you only have Aqua Plastic Armor and weak weapons.

>> No.2689740

bump

>> No.2689851

>>2636259
Snakemen bases are a breeze once you get flying suits. Just find those large rooms with 2 in height, fly up and shoot everything. Not a single fuck given

>> No.2689874

I love this game. I once got a bug after being attacked by ethereals and almost losing my base completely.

After barely surviving the fight, I suddently coundlt build anything in the base and I couldnt understand why until I checked out the base data where it said I had something like 10,000 too many items in storage. Turns out I had gotten around 10,000 Elerium for winning the fight which was pretty odd but also awesome.

I have never had so many flying suits, avengers, blaster launchers and heavy plasmas in my life.

I have no idea how the bug happened but it also turned out that, when I tried sending out a team from that base again, the ground inventory was completely filled out with Elerium so I couldnt equip them at all, besides what the game decided that they should be equipped with. That was pretty shitty, but not as shitty as when the base got attacked again and I had to defend it with Rookies armed to their teeth with elerium. The other bases had a glorious time though!

>> No.2690039

>>2680886
You must be playing Piratez. That mod makes anything from personal armor and higher vulnerable to lasers, because that mod treats lasers as anti-armor weapons.

>> No.2690046

>>2684861
If you're playing OpenXcom 1.0 instead of the nightly, you'll run into more Cyberdisks. There was some bug in 1.0 that caused Sectoid terror ships to have more Cyberdisks than Sectoids.

But considering that the nightly builds have less bugs and are more stable with more features, there isn't a reason to play OpenXcom 1.0

>> No.2690054

>>2690046
First time I tried the nightly, I was playing FMP (or it might have been Redux). First mission, I got the "hidden movement never ends" bug.

>> No.2690401

>>2689874
The DOS version would give you one elerium pod(=50 units elerium) for every unit of elerium in stores during a base defense. So you could multiply your elerium stores by 50 when you got attacked. It's flat out absurd.

>> No.2690432

>>2684861
>Is that OpenXcom? I swear they increased the number Cyberdiscs, I don't remember the original having so many.

Man I thought it was just me...

Sectoid terror missions are fucking brutal when you haven't gotten laser weapons yet.

>> No.2690638

>>2690432
>Sectoid terror missions are fucking brutal when you haven't gotten laser weapons yet

Dude...if you're still using rifles by the _first_ terror mission (which is almost always Floaters), you're doing it wrong. Those things should be phased out after the first or second UFO recovery of the game.

>> No.2690640

>>2690401
I've never had Elerium appear on the inventory screen during base defenses so IDK.

>> No.2690648

>>2689851
That's ok; I just rip alien bases apart with Blaster Bombs.

Early Snakeman base missions (pre-plasma weapons) are tough because Chryssalids can really take a beating.

>> No.2690664

Im just beginning to get into the first XCOM game

I have to ask, are the tracked tanks any good?

>> No.2690680
File: 638 B, 101x76, Tank_body.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2690664
this thingamabob right here

>> No.2690716

guys i've only played The new one
I only played a little but I think it was enough to break me in for the originals. Hows openxcom? I've been most interested in terror of the deep from what I've read

>> No.2690724

>>2690716
Its like xcom but with some addins and easier moddability

>> No.2691007

>>2690716
I'm in the same boat. Been playing OXC for a couple weeks now. Imagine that new one with better control over your units, and more detailed loadouts.

>> No.2691065

>>2690664
Tanks are of questionable value. Mostly because they tend to get destroyed by alien gunfire within seconds and cost way more to replace than soldiers do. The best thing about them is that they can't get mind controlled or zombified by a Chryssalid.

The advanced tanks like the Hovertank Plasma also require Elerium to build and their weapon isn't as powerful as the Heavy Plasma (but it compensates with 255 shots).

>> No.2691069

>>2691065
Hovertanks are nice to use on Cydonia as scouts and because they take some burden off your soldiers.

>> No.2691635

>>2691065
So, tracked tanks are good only for dealing with ship like lots of psionics or chryssalid simply because theyre immune to their unique attacks?

>> No.2691743

>>2691635
Chryssalids can still damage a tank, they just can't zombify it.

>> No.2691772

>>2691743
Well i figured that, but they can at least, at the most, take a single hit and not die

>> No.2692082

>>2691772
>>2691635
Tanks are good for
>scouting. They cant get MC and are great spotters for your snipers. Great mobility too.
>tanking. Aliens if faced with choice of shooting at soldiers or tank, will always choose tank(not sure if over high ranking officers too or not). Also, tanks can take few hits before being destroyed.
>tanks dont need to heal. Damaged ones that came back are back to full health instantly.
>destroyed tank costs you less points than killed soldier, i think.

However
>1tank=4soldiers at skyranger
>tanks can only move and shoot
>no autofire
> no throwing, inventory, less versatility
>takes 2x2 space, big target, cant get everywhere
>costs more than soldier
>less powerfull than soldier of the same tech, shit stats(mainly reactions)

>> No.2692110

>>2692082
That actually sounds pretty good to have one on base

>> No.2692186

>>2692110
Yeah, just remember, there need to be at least one soldier at the base to do base defense mission.

>> No.2692376

>>2692186
Do the tanks have a maintence cost even if they arent in combat?

>> No.2692418

>>2692376
Nope.
You only pay once, when you buy or manufacture them.
No cost of repairs or maintenance.
They just sit in your warehouses.

>> No.2692728

Is there any way to counter psionics early game?

>> No.2692959

>>2692728
>get to know who your psi-weaklings are, via trial-error or mind probe, and mark them as such.
>don't give them powerful weapons, or any really besides stun rods
>if you do, make them drop weapons at the end of the turn
>no grenades for weaklings, they can use them
>use tanks, for they cant be MC.
>Aliens can only psi-attack units they seen during they OR previous turn. What follows is usually quick MC, MC unit does 360 and aliens know where all your soldiers are and can torment them forever. If you scout with tank, no such thing happens.

>> No.2692965

>>2692959
>>Aliens can only psi-attack units they seen during they OR previous turn. What follows is usually quick MC, MC unit does 360 and aliens know where all your soldiers are and can torment them forever. If you scout with tank, no such thing happens.
This doesn't apply to commanders, does it?

>> No.2694229

-

>> No.2694297

I've never played an x-com game in my life, but love Microprose anything. Where do I start?

>> No.2694310

>>2694297
play it for a few hours, get disgruntled and come back weeks/months later and it'll just click and be a blast.

>> No.2694345

>>2692959
>don't give them powerful weapons, or any really besides stun rods

It helps to know how the AI works. Specifically, that the AI only knows how to use ranged weapons or grenades (not proximity grenades though). If your soldier is a psy weakling, don't let them carry a gun or any non-prox grenade.

>> No.2694363

>>2694297
Play UFO Defense with OpenXcom on Experienced difficulty. Never play on Beginner. Experienced has the same number of aliens per deployment as beginner, and isn't a lot more difficult, but Beginner mode cuts all aliens armor in half, and will skew the way you view weapons. No other difficulty changes armor values. Beginner also cuts alien accuracy in half, compared to Experienced leaving it roughly at default.

After that, play an OpenXcom UFO Defense game with mods. I'd suggest either Xeno Operations, or Final Mod Pack. Playing any mod on Beginner will shatter mod balance, since people are designing weapons to be incremental upgrades, and are giving strengths and weaknesses to alien armor. If the first game of OpenXcom was too hard for your liking, stick with Experienced. Otherwise, play Veteran.

The important thing to remember about difficulties are the biggest jumps of difficulty are at Veteran and Superhuman, as these are the difficulty levels that multiply how many aliens are on each UFO.

>>2694345
>Specifically, that the AI only knows how to use ranged weapons or grenades (not proximity grenades though)
If playing OpenXcom, aliens understand melee weapons and can utilize them fairly well. This isn't a problem in a normal UFO Defense game, since the only melee weapon you can deploy with is non-fatal.

It's worth noting that OpenXcom aliens cannot effectively use range-limited items. If you have a mod that adds non-melee short range weapons like flamethrowers or something, and the aliens are outside of firing range, they think that they don't have line of sight, and will just dance around.

>> No.2694376

>>2694345
Also, another quirk you should know about is that the AI will never fire a Blaster Launcher if the user is within 10 squares of the target. This means if you walk right up to a BL-holding alien, you're completely safe.

The AI is also pretty bad at using BL waypoints and really only knows how to fire it in a straight line. It has no ability to make crooked shots with lots of waypoints.

>> No.2694503

>>2636192

Ho Sed and S. Crewed

>> No.2695198
File: 211 KB, 1366x768, NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAAAINED.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

mods are fun

>> No.2695517

>>2695198
attack doges are cool. is that sprite taken from wolf3d?

>> No.2695593

>>2695517
Yes.

>> No.2696005
File: 312 KB, 720x405, south-park-s01e03c02-its-coming-right-for-us-16x9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695198
WATCH OUT HES GOT A KNIFE
HES COMMIN RIGHT AT US

>> No.2696195

I never realized how depressing the xcom timeline is

>> No.2696496

>>2696195
What do you mean by that?

>> No.2696507

>>2696496
The classic timeline, shit just seems to gradually get worse the farther into the future you go

After the first war XCOM is nearly disbanded except for a single sub base that is being funded and maintained by a private company

Most of the world's goverments have collapsed and reformed as major global powers that are desperate for Elerium 115. Population growth has gotten out of control and the global enviroment is slowly dying as resources dry up

Hell, even after the second war, the earth is still in shit shape

>> No.2696512

>>2696507
Well, I've never played TFTD, so I wouldn't know.
It DOES sound shitty tho.

>> No.2696515

>>2696512
After the second war, all of the new resource Zrbite becomes completely fucking useless. Its energy potential stops after the aliens are beaten for good

Things get steadily worse as two new major religions pop up, one is desperately trying to contact more aliens to help and the other is trying to eradicate all aliens and alien tech from earth

Xcom gets nearly disbanded again until the same guy buys them out and turns XCOM into a private military company

Eventually Earth is on the verge of enviromental collapse so several major corperations attempt to build space faring ships to allow colonization

>> No.2696614

>>2696515
I'm sorry but, where's this written?

>> No.2696618

>>2696614
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=X-COM_Timeline
XCOM timeline, i was reading on it last night

Im pretty sure since the new XCOM game all of this has been rendered uncanon

>> No.2697142

>>2633183
This guys mention in every xcom thread. If you like him so much /vr/ why don't you just marry him?

>> No.2697253
File: 23 KB, 124x263, 1389398278275.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2685130
She's not always bad. "The Wounded Sky" (ST TOS) is breddy gud, even if it is only just barely a Star Trek story and mostly the novel she wanted to write anyway that has nothing to do with Star Trek. "Dark Mirror" (TNG, Mirror Universe) is OK too. I mean OK she's never going to win a Hugo, whatever, but she can turn out some pretty readable stuff now and again.

>>2685231
>Fluttershy

>> No.2697272

>>2694310
So it's like Dwarf Fortress?

>> No.2697453

>>2697272
In terms of not knowing what the fuck to do and getting your ass handed to you, yes. Just don't play beginner

>> No.2699198

Just had to try the updated version. Nice how they fixed the transfer bug so you could avoid salary costs for the engineers and scientists, and how you just as well could make the build-in sell function on production of for instance motion scanners and laser cannons. Is inormal not to see single UFO in whole february on superhuman?