[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 516x222, US vs JP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2609490 No.2609490 [Reply] [Original]

If you have the option between playing the original game or a localized version which do you choose?

I just learned the US Ninja Kid is an altered version of some Japanese anime game. Even though the only difference seems to be the sprites I'm still torn on which one to play.

>> No.2609552

>>2609490
in the original, is that an action toupe?

>> No.2609554

It depends. If the westernized version has been updated and added a few new things I will stick with that one. If they are both the same I go for what is cheaper. Sometimes the Jap version is crap though like in power blade. North American version is WAAAAAY better

>> No.2609908

For language heavy stuff I normally go for the original version. I learned Japanese with that intention.
The dilemma for me is that some games had superior Japan exclusive versions but I don't want to play them since they're just translations. For instance Wizardry 4 seems a lot more playable on the PCE or PS1 but they don't have an English option.

>> No.2609919

>>2609490
I like playing the US and JP versions of a lot of games, to see what changes were made in localization, how the translation was handled, and so on. Things like that have always interested me.

>> No.2609953

Yo-Noid was a reskinned Japanese game, and most of the changes were for the better. I dunno why it gets a rap from reviewers.

>> No.2610267

Sometimes the localised version is improved. I played the crap out of skies of Arcadia. Then learnt there was a few changes from Eternal Arcadia. Got eternal. OMG so many random fights..... Put me off getting far enough to find them all....

>> No.2611957
File: 31 KB, 294x415, Decap_Attack_cover_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Depends on the game. In general I'm somewhat of a purist but there are exceptions to everything. I like Decap Attack.

>> No.2611989

>>2609490
Depends on the game. If the game is heavily in moonspeak or is inferior to the American with less features, I'll play the American. If the game is made harder for no reason in the American version(Ninja Gaiden 3, Castlevania 3, Battletoads.), I'll play the Japanese version.

>> No.2612094

>>2611989
>Battletoads

But Battletoads came out in the US first, so it's more like the Japanese version is the watered down wussy one.

>> No.2612121

>>2609490
In the case of Ninja Kid, the original game is based on Kitaro, and most of the boss / enemy sprites are bad guys and other ghosts / monsters from that series. In the context of the original game the enemies make some sense, but in Ninja Kid they make zero sense.

>> No.2612571
File: 414 KB, 480x238, coin-flip-mcduck.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2609919
Autism works in mysterious ways.

>> No.2612692

>>2609490
Not to sound like a weeb but gegege no kitarou isn't JUST an anime. I think you should stick with the original and seek out the sequels.

>> No.2613223

I always play Akumajo Densetsu because of the better audio and generally more fair difficulty.

>> No.2613282

>>2609490
>If you have the option between playing the original game or a localized version which do you choose?

This is a case-by-case decision. Making a one-size-fits-all decision for this kind of thing wouldn't demonstrate taste, it'd demonstrate a half-baked ideology.

>> No.2613352

>>2612094
I know that, and after playing the US then the Japanese, I feel cheated. But the Battletoads on US I think is too hard for it's own good, I think the Japanese one is a bit more comfortable. Not terribly easy, but hard enough. Castlevania 3 I think is fine on either system, the difficulty is exaggerated, besides you have the help me code.