[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 76 KB, 219x300, cover_orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2608097 No.2608097 [Reply] [Original]

I am planning on picking up Monster World Collection for MWIV, I am aware of the fan translation and have even played it a few years back, but I wanna get this to support the idea of an official translation for an old game. I'm also a big fan of the series and worried it might get removed from xbla since Westone folded. Anyone know if the 360 or ps3 version is better, incidentally?

What else is worth picking up in this vein? I was looking at Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun also, have original Japanese releases for the Saturn, but again, it's the only place to get an English translation of RS, and as for GH I never owned the English version so that's new to me. Any thoughts on these, or the other Sega Vintage Collections? Or other good XBLA Japanese developed games? Particularly with unique features you can't get through emulation as I have an emulation pc all setup anyway.

>> No.2608153

>>2608097
Guardian Heroes is great if you don't have a Saturn. Best part is that it has online multiplayer, unfortunately I've never seen anyone on. I have the 360 version and it seems fine to me, nothing weird or missing.

>> No.2608159

>>2608153
The increased resolution really helps that game out.

>> No.2608168

>>2608153
I do have a Saturn and the original Japanese GH from back in the day. Never picked up the USA release when it came out (I imported before release) and of course now it's a little trickier/pricier to find. So for me the English is all new even though I played the game to death. As for missing, I tried the demo and didn't see the opening fmv animation, could just be the demo.

The 12 player vs mode is an example of what I'm talking about with unique added features, since the original only did 6. Doesn't really matter though in this case since I'm not planning to sub to xbox gold. The redone art or filters seem kinda bad, I preferred the original graphics. Not a deal breaker though.

>> No.2608215

Sega 3D classics are a mustIf you have a 3DS the .
The the translation of MW4 on this is also in a nicer font than tha fan translation, and you can actually use the debug store in it

Virtual-On is also a good choice IMO
(Also in case you didn't know already, the version of Wonder Boy in Mon, not the Master System version)r World is the arcade version an

>> No.2608580

>>2608215
No 3DS but I heard those were good.

Which Virtual ON and for what platform do you mean? I own the original for Saturn.

>> No.2608667

Sin & Punishment
Donkey Kong Complete Edition

>> No.2608681

>>2608097
I bought the Monster World Collection and was really happy with it. The KoFs on XBLA are a good neat if you don't care about net play.

The 3DS M2 ports are where the greatness is these days though.

>> No.2608903

Rule of thumb is that if the port comes from:

M2
AM2
Bluepoint
HexaDrive
(depending on how Mega Man Legacy Collection turns out) new Digital Eclipse

it's good. M2 did the Vintage Collections, as well as all SEGA Virtual Console games and 3D Classics. You can expect more features and accuracy from them than PC emulators.

>Anyone know if the 360 or ps3 version is better, incidentally?
360 has less input lag by default. Wii version might be best on a CRT.

>Or other good XBLA Japanese developed games?
Virtual On
Guwange
Raiden Fighters Aces(disc or Games on Demand)
Game Room
Rez HD
SNK games

>> No.2608912

>>2608903
>Game Room
It's neat but the interface annoys me, the novelty wore off very quickly. I'd rather just have a list of games to select from. It's a great collection though.

>> No.2609581

>>2608903

Yeah, anything developed by Sega proper is a plus for me. But in most cases I already own these games from their original consoles, so the extra features are a must. I got Rez HD a couple years back in the form of the Qubed collection on disc. Guwange strikes me as "why not MAME," Game Room last I looked at it seemed a bit of a rip, the virtual arcade is cool but the games themselves were just straight roms afaik. I did like Virtual On quite a lot of the Saturn (Apharmd was my main shit) so maybe I will check those out. But seems like it would only be worth it if you could hook up real twinsticks.

>> No.2609618
File: 57 KB, 351x351, 1417675241117.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Outru-

oh wait.

Marvel vs capco-

oh wait.

X-men the arcade ga-

Oh wait.

The simpsons arcade ga-

OH WAIT.

>> No.2609619
File: 71 KB, 329x191, B2bmjttCIAAsa2q.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2609618
Don't forget After Burner Climax.

>> No.2609725

Japanese Playstation store has some Sega Ages 2500 stuff as PS2 classics

>> No.2609752

>>2609618
what's wrong with those games? Were they removed or something?

>> No.2609768

Daytona USA got an arcade faithful port with pretty HD resolutions and wheel support. Like >>2609725 said, some Sega Ages stuff is on the JP PSN store. The only one I have is the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box, but if that's anything to go by they're definitely worth getting; tons of graphical options, both the Japanese and English versions, it has Dynamite Headdy and Alien Soldier as well, and a metric asston of extras. Definitely worth getting over the PSN/XBLA Gunstar Heroes port.

>>2609752
Yes.

>> No.2609796

>>2609768
The Rockman Complete Works games are on PSN as PS1 Classics (1-4 are on the U.S. store as imports under the "Megaman" title while 5-6 are JP only) and are easily the best way to play the games, at least until we find out how the Legacy Collection turns out.

>> No.2609797

>>2609796
Didn't mean to quote

>> No.2609846

I'd say if you want to get Gunstar Heroes, wait for the 3D version for 3ds to take on the go.

>> No.2609968

Virta Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, and Sonic the Fighters are all on The xbox store, and arcade perfect too. Sonic even put Honey back in and made Metal Sonic & Robotnik playable in VS

Also Namco Museum 1-5 are all on PSN if you're looking for a good older collection

>> No.2611862

I bought the Monster World collection, Guardian Heroes, and Radiant Silvergun.

I own GH and RS on the Saturn, they are pretty decent ports but is it just me or is the sound a little off? Some off beat drum track has been added to the 360 version of GH, or something similar. Both games have some pretty terrible reverb I wish I could turn off. Music in RS sounds right, but the voices are crazy reverbed so I guess it's not a huge deal.