[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 96 KB, 400x276, 1439072268771.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2600130 No.2600130[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys emulate your retro games or play them on the original console?

I'd really prefer to buy a SNES and just play the games but I don't have a CRT anymore.

>> No.2600137
File: 941 KB, 398x223, Both.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2600138

Console if the resale values aren't ridiculous, otherwise emulation. Sometimes a mix of the two. I use my modded GC to emulate Genesis.

Flash carts are also an option. I use an EZ Flash with my GBA, but I also keep a Game Boy Pocket around with actual GB carts.

Sometimes I burn games to CD-R / DVD-R and use softmods or swap discs to play them, if the games in question are too expensive. I just hate this method because consoles are fickle about reading back-ups. You have to use a certain brand of media, specific burn settings, etc. And if someone didn't rip the game properly in the first place, you're screwed no matter what you do.

>> No.2600146

>>2600137
This.

ESPECIALLY N64 titles and anything multiplayer. I don't have the space to crowd around the computer, so I have my old consoles still.

>> No.2600154

As far as 8 and 16 bit games go, i emulate when prices are unreasonable
N64 i don't emulate because I've already owned every game for it worth playing for well over a decade
Disc games i buy if i can find for a bargain, but otherwise i'm burning them for the most part. Doesn't make sense to spend top dollar for something that can be rendered useless so easily. (A smarter thing to spend your money on would be backup consoles)

>> No.2600231

I pretty much just emulate these days, easier and I really don't need a big TV screen or shit.

Savestates and shit also saves time and what not for older games which you had to beat in a sitting, I ain't got time or patience for that.

>> No.2600246

if I still own the machine, I'll play it on the machine.

If I don't own the machine anymore, or I'm currently out of work like I am now, then I emulate.

>> No.2600275 [SPOILER] 
File: 517 KB, 752x707, 1439164088877.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reasons I emulate:
>Cost: Not gonna spend even $20 on a game I've never played. Those days are over
>Convenience: Sometimes I want to play on a mobile device, or online multiplayer, or in progressive scan etc

Reasons I play on real hardware:
>Accuracy: With few exceptions emulation is not perfectly accurate and input/output accuracy is yet another level to contend with
>Nostalgia: Sitting down with a 13" CRT and a real Genesis lets me tune into simpler time and there's no shame in it since I don't use it as a crutch

>> No.2600278

I'm really tempted to buy a SNES or a PS1 for nostalgia gaming, fuuuuck.

>> No.2600834

It's good to have a mix of the two I think. I have a decent Mega Drive collection but I'm never going to shell out the bux for a SEGA 32x, so I emulate the few decent games it has. Likewise for imports, I'd much rather play a translated SNES RPG on my hacked Wii than, say, buy an actual JAP console and/or a repro cart. If you keep things organized you can strike a nice balance of both without sacrificing dat retro feel.