[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.37 MB, 1381x1397, 1430678041043.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2588078 No.2588078 [Reply] [Original]

I just got a ps1 because POPstarter wasn't cutting it and I like playing on my CRT.

What's my best option for playing burnt games ? (It's a pal console)
Is there anything that doesn't involve soldering ?

>> No.2588274

Something tells me Monica had the controller right next to her crotch while playing.

>> No.2588446

Swap trick. Made easy via parallel port "game enhancer" if you have an old fat or a silver backed PS-X-Change disc if you have a PSOne. If you have a new fat with no parallel port, you'll need to find a black backed swap disc (you won't) or solder.

>> No.2588484

Speed Punks motherfucker.

Anyways I'd love to use a real PS1 but won't until I can run backup images. Only time will tell if PSIO is a scam.

http://ps-io.com/index.html

>> No.2589101

>>2588484

I really didn't like how this project started as a plug-and-play device and quietly became something you had to solder to the board. I was excited briefly but they're really started to shave down their potential userbase, if it works properly though I may consider one in the future.

>> No.2589192

>>2589101
Is it a prototype or version 1 thing? I'm it is not their final vision and will definitely push it to be plug and play eventually.

>> No.2589197

>>2589101
>quietly

It's only "quiet" to you because you don't follow the project. It states that soldering is required right on the website. It was always assumed that soldering would be required.

>> No.2590807

>>2589197
>It was always assumed that soldering would be required.
Bullshit. If it's not plug & play then it may as well just be an ODE, which is what I'm sure everyone will just eventually go to.

>> No.2590820

>>2589192
They waited until it was close to complete before they started sending out beta boards, so more changes at this point are unlikely.

>>2589197
They announced it, developed it, sold beta access while claiming it would be completely solderless, unless you had a PlayStation model which didn't have the serial port in which case you could solder on such a port.
Several years later they quietly changed the FAQ to say it would require soldering after all. Some people were a bit ticked by the sudden change.

It's not a big deal for most people, but some people are genuinely hopeless at soldering. It's a bit worse for them when similar devices for other systems in recent times don't require any soldering at all.

>>2590807
Their reasoning is that the PlayStation disc drive is very difficult to replace directly. I don't know if that's true or not.

>> No.2590826

>>2590820
>Their reasoning is that the PlayStation disc drive is very difficult to replace directly. I don't know if that's true or not.
It's not. It's actually the easiest and cheapest optical drive to replace of any retro system

>> No.2594601

Bump

>> No.2594636

>>2594601
Why bump? What's left that you need answered?

A modchip is the best option for burnt games by far. There are a bunch places that sell them. Try the people on isozone or assembler.

PS-IO is still in developement several years later and still has problems.

The only option that doesn't require soldering is the swap trick, but that can be unreliable and is a pain compared to the other options. There's also gameshark or action replay, but I don't know how easy they are to get now and like PSIO, you're fucked if you have a model that doesn't have a parallel port.

>> No.2594650

>>2594636
I just saw it was about to 404 and I thought: "every thread deserves a bump"

I haven't read the thread.

>> No.2594652

>>2594650
If OP stuck around for a bit he probably got his answer, so there isn't really a need to bump. Most threads get archived elsewhere and most of the answers are stuff that can be googled anyway.

polite sage

>> No.2594670

>>2588078
Honestly, the absolute best option for playing copied PS1 games is a top loading, flip top PS2. All you have to do is enter the browser, put in an official disc, once the black disc appears on screen, swap fast and then hit X to start the copied game.

By buying a PS1, you just leave yourself modding or disc swapping as an option. And PS1 disc swapping is a pain in the dick and modding is better left to people who know what they're doing.

>> No.2594684

>>2594636
>Gameshark
I for real shed a tear when I found mine put away in a small box and it didn't work.

I had a really neat one that let me watch FMVs and shit. I've seen some neat hidden cutscenes, but no remarkable ones come to mine that wouldn't require insane amounts of proof.

>> No.2595396

Is PSIO the only hardware solution for loading backup images?