[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 66 KB, 502x700, solar_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2588048 No.2588048 [Reply] [Original]

So is Pier Solar retro? According to the board rules it technically fits, because they go by system release dates not game release dates. But it's weird to have a "retro game" released in 2010.

Also, is it any good? I'm not usually a fan of RPGs, but it has me curious.

>> No.2588052

almost everyone I've talked to says it's mediocre

>> No.2588053

>>2588052
By the same token, ask around here and Super Metroid gets called mediocre a lot.

>> No.2588056

it is definitively retro but the problem with discussing it is not many people have played it because of the price and no roms even if there were i read on the /v/'s recommended wikia that its designed to not run on any known emulators.

It looks like a sweet RPG but it'll be a cold day in hell when i pay 200USD(shipping and import tax included) for it.

I hope the scumbags who made it are happy that most people will never play it and it'll remain an obscure game because of it.

>> No.2588062

>>2588056
That's some old ass info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HabjoD9HVTs

>> No.2588070

Also, I'm glad that Watermelon's novel bank-switching technology allowed him to make enough money off the game to not discourage him from producing other games in the future. He still releases fresh runs of the cartridge at normal retail prices you just have to get on the wait list.

>> No.2588072

>>2588062
thanks man, off to google a little then.

>> No.2588073

>>2588062
This gives me some hope. I definitely want to try it, but no way in hell am paying that much for it. I don't even have a working Genesis anymore anyways.

>> No.2588075
File: 35 KB, 402x402, 1438642146014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2588076

>>2588075
>>>/v/

>> No.2588084

>>2588048
>Also, is it any good
No, it only looks good, the game itself is a really, REALLY poor copy of Lunar and Lunar is a fairly cookie cutter RPG anyway.
>I'm not usually a fan of RPGs
Don't play it then, it's obnoxiously archaic and poorly thought out to the point that even certain NES games are better designed, not even kidding.

>> No.2588086

>>2588075
Shill warning? In the thread where most of the discussion so far has been 1: how stupid the price of it is and 2: how to make it run on an emulator. lol

>> No.2588087

>>2588084
That actually tempts me a little. Lunar 2 is one of the few RPGs I actually really liked back in the day.

>> No.2588105

>>2588087
If you liked it because of the amazing music and anime FMVs, don't expect that.

>> No.2588132

>>2588105
It was more the world in general and the characters, but you're right this will probably disappoint. If only because I'm not 15 anymore. I'll give it a whirl on emulator some time maybe.

>> No.2588146

>>2588087
If Lunar 2 is 10/10, Pier Solar is 6/10. He means that it looks superficially like Lunar. The combat looks similar (though you can move positions during battle) and the overworld and zones look similar.

As is, its a cool game, being a "new" Genesis game. But it isn't very good.

>> No.2588161
File: 565 KB, 576x432, sega.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2588146
Anyway, I forgot to add that I do own the game. The problem here is that Lunar 2 has fun combat. There's more variety of enemies, and moving around the battle field changes the position and strategy. Combat in Pier Solar takes forever and doesn't have that strategy.

Also, Lunar 2 does everything pretty much perfect, so its not really fair to use as a comparison. But I even enjoyed Vay more. Well, "even" isn't right to use there, I liked Vay. But Vay isn't a masterpiece.

>> No.2588178

>>2588161
> Combat in Pier Solar takes forever and doesn't have that strategy.

Man you're making it sound worse and worse. Which to be fair is expected, good to very good homebrew games are almost as rare as unicorns. At least if I do try it out I won't be hoping for anything spectacular.

>> No.2588193

>>2588178
It isn't absolutely horrid. I've played a dozen worse RPGs on the Super Famicom (well, sampled is more accurate, I'm not going to finish that crap), but it does feel like a homebrew game. Don't expect something equal in quality to the best Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis classics. Expect an average game that at least looks and sounds above average.

>> No.2588246

it's mediocre but technically interesting. It's a novelty.

It's also entirely emulatable in GenplusGX and others. Don't let people say it's not emulatable.

>> No.2588278

>>2588193
Cool thanks for the info!

>> No.2588339

>>2588048
I consider it retro since it's playable on a retro system.
I own it. It's plenty decent— easily one of the better, if not one of the best RPGs on the Genesis. Of course if you go in expecting something the likes of Earthbound or Chrono Trigger, you will be disappointed.
The graphics and effects are for the most part very good. Sprites look good, a lot of the map has some nice details, and for the most part the magic effects look nice.
The music is a mixed bag, with some very nice tunes, some forgettable, and a couple kind of annoying ones. A few of the sound effects in the game I recognize from Sanic, but that doesn't bother me. The SegaCD PCM soundtrack is for the most part an improvement if you have a SegaCD to play it, though there are a couple songs I actually like better on FM. If you're using the CD, it actually lets you switch between PCM and FM music in the options, which is a nice afterthought.
I really like the combat system. There's a charge mechanic that adds a nice layer of depth to the combat, though sometimes it seems like the enemies are vastly overpowered for the level you will be at when reaching them, leading to a little grinding.

The story is pretty standard JRPG fare. It's not the worst, but it doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

tl;dr: It's a good game, but don't go in expecting a Chrono Trigger or Earthbound killer. Also, don't pay more than $70 for a copy, and even that's pushing the limit.

>> No.2588346

>>2588161
Bro, do you even Pier Solar? Enemies later in the game move around all the time. Also, learning to properly use that gather mechanic makes it possible to take out enemy parties that are otherwise vastly more powerful.

Maybe you should git gud

>> No.2588374

It's an amateurish piece of crap with a mediocre cliche ridden story.

Fanboys aren't developers. They try to recreate what they like (or even worse, what liked when they were kids), not good games.

>> No.2588643

Its not crap idiot. And its now out on almost every platform in hd form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDNiJYZbXdA

>> No.2588659

>>2588643
"HD" mode looks like garbage. If you want to play it, play the standard definition one.

>> No.2588675

>>2588374
>>2588659
> garbage
> crap
> mediocre

typical frustrated gamer hating people who try to do things on their own because it reminds him of his own uselessness

>> No.2588683

I got a copy in the first wave. There's a couple things to consider, the first being that the Genesis doesn't have a lot of JRPGs in its library. If you try to put yourself in the early to mid 90s mindset of other games that were released at the time, this would have probably been considered above average. The cliches we all recognize today weren't as tiresome yet, and standard JRPG battle systems were still playable. It sounds like I'm making excuses, and in a way I am, but I think it's important to also recognize the things the game does accomplish. For a very small dev team, it's a very good effort. I'd rate it a solid 7/10 in the Genesis library, though if I had already played the Lunar games I might knock that down a point.

>> No.2588732

>>2588086
1) The game is not retro.
2) Shilling isn't always obvious.
3) You can samefag.

>> No.2588739

>>2588732
I'm not going to say that shilling never happens on 4chan, but those who do are wasting their time. I'm the one who made the thread and have never considered for a moment actually paying anything for it.

>> No.2588748

>>2588732
>The game is not retro.
Per the sticky:
>any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier
Homebrew for old consoles is fine for discussion.

>> No.2588750

You always can pirate the PC version or emulate using mess, giving money to resellers is pretty dumb. I laughed when I was checking ebay for the prices of this shit and found fucking arcade cabinets with similar prices some faggots are asking

>> No.2588762
File: 9 KB, 320x208, piersolar-48[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2588675
He's not completely wrong, though.
Compared to the original sprite-based cutscenes (or whatever you call them, pic related), the ones in the new HD version look like something straight out of deviantart, really amateurish.

>> No.2588791

>>2588750
Buying Pier Solar from resellers at reseller prices is ridiculous.
You can buy directly from Watermelon and get a new-in-box cart with loads of extras; you just have to wait a few months for them to accumulate enough orders for a production run.

Or buy it on Steam for standard indie-game price and play it in SD mode.

I got my copy from the last run a few months ago, but it freezes up on my Model 2 a little bit into the intro sequence. It should work on my Model 1, but I need to get RGB cables for it, so I'm holding off playing it until then.

>> No.2588802

Even though people bash in the game calling it mediocre what actually amazes me is how a bunch of guys created a complete game for Genesis. I mean, I grew up with this console and for me the softhouses were dream places with thousands of focused workers trying to create the best game possible, and after that that game would be distributed from Japan to the whole world like Santa giving away its gifts. Yeah, such childish way of think but I was a child at time. Along with the one beat'em up I believe will be released (Project Y) this is one of the most ambitious 'amateur' projects, but all my faggy post was to say I'd really would like to see a Super Metroid like game as I'm not so much into jrpgs (if Pier Solar were a Star Ocean clone I'd be cumming until now though) made with the same effort as this one.

>> No.2588804

>>2588075
Don't you think if someone were to shill this game it'd be when it entered production again like four or five months ago instead of way after they stopped selling copies?

>> No.2588807

>>2588246
Are you just referring to the beta rom, or the whole game?

Also, where can I pirate this piece of shit? I might buy the Steam version, but I'd like to try it in its original form

>> No.2588813

>>2588791

Genesis version is sold out, and IMO it would be the only worthy thing to buy as paying for downloads isn't exactly what I'd call a good move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8AN7PZ9Zo

>> No.2588819

>>2588762
I am not at all wrong.