[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 52 KB, 448x419, tumblr_me6tryot3I1rw12nho1_500 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2575994 No.2575994 [Reply] [Original]

hey /vr/

so i just finished planescape and people say its the best video game story ever, but I'm sure there are older more archaic video games with better stories (text adventures and whatnot).

Are there any other games with stories similar to planescape, in how instead of just telling a story it tried to ask philosophical questions and have the player learn something about themselves? that is what makes PS:T a work of art instead of just a toy. What other games are like this?

Thank you

>> No.2575998

missile command, it's a deep narrative with important moral choices

>> No.2576139

>>2575994
I have no Mouth and I must scream

>> No.2577203

>>2575994
I can't think about anything like Torment, but people talks a lot about Xenogears being deep and philosophical. I have no idea if that's true though.

>> No.2577498

>>2575994
Honestly, most stories going BACK aren't really that great. There are exceptions, but the later retro games and some modern games tend to do storytelling a little better. At least in my opinion.

>> No.2577591

I never knew why is Torment revered as the BEST STORY IN A VIDYA EVER.

It's a very typical journey of the hero trope. it's cool that it has a lot of moral options but it would work better as a board role playing game, as a videogame is very underwhelming, most of the time you're reading.

>> No.2578547

Fallout 1.

>> No.2578549

it's like ADnD had a baby with a goosebumps choose your own adventure novel that was a videogame for some reason

the sad part is how not even hyperbolic that statement is

>> No.2578626

>>2575998
Fuck son, do you even know the weight of responsibility you feel on your shoulders when you press that button?
Knowing how many people would die if you miss even one missile?

ONE FUCKING PIXEL WIDE WHITE MISSILE?

DO YOU KNOW HOW THE MEMORIES OF THE SCREAMS OF THOUSANDS OF CIVILIANS BURNING TO DEATH WILL HAUNT YOU?

DO YOU KNOW THE COLD SWEAT ON YOUR FOREHEAD WHEN YOU MOVE YOUR CURSOR AND HOPE THE BLAST IS FAST ENOUGH TO TAKE DOWN THOSE BLOODY MISSILES

DO YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO BE ALONE, THE LAST BASTION OF HUMANITY IN A GOD FORSAKEN WORLD AT THE MERCY OF RAINS OF BOMBS FROM WHO KNOW WHERE?

>> No.2578634

>>2578626
It doesn't really matter, no matter what you're going to lose in the end, and everyone will die.

A STRANGE GAME ISN'T IT. THE ONLY WAY TO WIN IS NOT TO PLAY.

>> No.2578656
File: 19 KB, 300x354, confused-science-reader.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't stomach Torment's absolutely horrible writing style. Characters shift into different dialects mid-sentence for no discernible reason and the entire game cycles through abundant spelling variations as if it were written like by a sloppy collaboration of Wikipedia editors from every part of the world. Could the developers not be assed to hire an editor, or was the editor just that incompetent?

>>2577591
>I never knew why is Torment revered as the BEST STORY IN A VIDYA EVER.

People who have little exposure outside some niche genre of games, maybe.

>> No.2578696

Hey all you assholes who bash planescapes story fucking suggest better ones you assholes

>> No.2578701

>>2578696
Morrowind.

You fucking Faggot.

>> No.2578706

>>2576139
Sheeeeit, this thread has been made several times and this is the first time someone's actually suggested something worth comparing to PS:T.

In fact, I think you're right.

>> No.2580310

HOMEWORLD

its an RTS tough, in case you want just 3PS / ARPG

for homeworld pirate a classic version, not remake launched months ago, its not that ancient and plays on any windows.. and remake changes too much the 1st game, and ruins some voice acting

>> No.2580524

>>2578696
The Dig's story is better than Planescape's. Better-conceived, more coherent, better-executed in terms of acting and better-delivered in terms of art direction and also gameplay (!).

It didn't try to ask philosophical questions and have the player learn something about themselves, but the story was unquestionably better. btw, The Dig isn't even the best Lucasarts game

>> No.2581332

>>2578656
Please get out of your comfort zone.

>> No.2581358
File: 65 KB, 426x600, 1434300041637.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it bad that I don't know who the green emo faggot zombie looking guy in the OP is?

I doubt it's bad, he looks stupid as a fuck. His game must be stupid.