[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 109 KB, 600x300, 1438182632500[2].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2574326 No.2574326 [Reply] [Original]

So a lot of information about old game designers is really obscure. We barely know anything about these guys. A lot of them simply left the gaming industry in the 80's or 90's to other work. A lot of the time they get overshadowed by later devs who came to head the series they originally worked on or created.

>Akira Kitamura

Ever heard of the guy? He is the creator of the Rockman/Mega Man character and the first game. He created the name, the game design, and the original Mega Man sprite. The game was already well under way when Inafune joined the team, and it was his job to create illustrations based on the already made static sprite. Almost all the media call Inafune the "creator of Mega Man" and this is simply not true. Akira worked on MM 1-2 as director and artist, and left during MM3. He did not sadly achieve the same success again and left the industry in the 90's.

http://www.destructoid.com/keiji-inafune-dropped-mad-mega-man-secrets-on-me-261362.phtml

>Hitoshi Akamatsu

He was the head of the team for the first three Famicom Castlevania games. I know very little about him.
http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Hitoshi_Akamatsu

>Toru Hagihara

He directed Rondo of Blood and the first half of Symphony of the Night. Koji Igarashi only game in when Toru left the project half-way through to complete it. Thus it is better to say he is the father of Symphony of the Night and the Metroid-vania series of games.

Is there any kind of project to uncover more information about these people? I would think there's more information about them in Nipponese language sources, especially magazines from the 80's and 90's.

>> No.2574339

>>2574326

It's probably best to say that Kitamura created Mega Man, but that Inafune created the final refined design.

>> No.2574368

>>2574326
There's no singular project. Most often it's groups of fans doing research on their own and then soft-lobbying enthusiast press writers (the Jeremy Parishes of the Internet) to generate some attention. The Cutting Room Floor isn't dedicated to figuring out staff credits and making histories but is a great database of evidence, same with GSLA overseas (http://chibarei.blog.jp/gsl/index.html).). We do have game historians like Matt Barton who conduct interviews with pioneers like Scott Adams, not to forget those using old print sources and knowledge to write histories (Jimmy Maher comes to mind), but it's so much easier on the Western side of things. @hiropapa00 is an example from Japan: he worked at a Japanese PC mag before joining Konami, then left and now writes compendiums with rare info on Japanese games both PC and TV-console. I'm gonna read his books once my Japanese improves.

As for developers who have gotten a lot of attention recently, Iwata's history is getting investigated left and right. We have the benefit of many different stories about him ranging across his life, including anecdotes about his dad becoming a mayor leading to a filial conflict over Iwata wanting to make software at a start-up. This also isn't simply a case where people only gave a shit about his past history after death, or at least there's been enough attention paid to his pre-executive life that no one has many regrets about not discussing that with him and contemporaries. We can still talk with Kenji Miki, for example, to learn if he was responsible for 1984 Golf's swinging system.

>> No.2574389

This is fascinating stuff, I wish someone could track them down for an interview

>> No.2575014 [DELETED] 

>>2574389

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/494229

A writer attempted to do just that with some of them. No luck for Hitoshi Akamatsu so far. That guy is a complete god damn mystery. People at Capcom say they're "pretty sure" he was the head of the team that made Castlevania, and that the same team made all three games. But they're only "pretty sure" which is shocking. It seems that everyone on the team, and everyone who worked with them have left Konami so no one knows for sure.

>> No.2575024

>>2574389

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers/posts/494229

A writer attempted to do just that with some of them. No luck for Hitoshi Akamatsu so far. That guy is a complete god damn mystery. People at Konami say they're "pretty sure" he was the head of the team that made Castlevania, and that the same team made all three games. But they're only "pretty sure" which is shocking. It seems that everyone on the team, and everyone who worked with them have left Konami so no one knows for sure.

>> No.2575060
File: 69 KB, 457x600, 457px-S1concept-Needlemouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Naoto Oshima is the literal creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, but Yuji Naka, merely a level designer on Sonic 1, is publicly given credit as creator of the series. Why?

>> No.2575065

>>2575060

Go change it on Wikipedia and use good sources. It will change everything. Everyone uses Wikipedia first as a source, even shtity game journalists.

I've noticed that when the media mentions 4chan they only mention the topics listed on Wikipedia (there's some that are missed). It's as if they're scanning the Wikipedia article first before writing up their stories.

>> No.2575073
File: 9 KB, 160x226, latest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tokuro Fujiwara is a dev that I think deserves more attention.

He directed stuff like Ghost n' Goblins, Bionic Commando, and produced a ton of stuff from the Capcom's 8 and 16 bit era.

I was also impressed when I've read the very Shinji Mikami talk about him:

>-- By the way, At that time, did you have a role model? I mean someone you admired in the field?

>Mikami: Mr. Fujiwara

>-— He is your master?

>M: Yeah. He is scary master for me. Maybe evil master. I still can't compete with him. I'll put myself at his feet. He has some kind of different atmosphere than other people. He is not big or macho and he doesn't raise his voice either but he is really scary. His way is not "Yes or No" only "YES". I learned a lot from him, one big thing I learned from him is "Create freedom inside restriction."

Fujiwara might be the final boss of japanese video game developers.

>> No.2575342

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992926009/

Someone wrote a book on this shit.

>> No.2575519
File: 18 KB, 220x285, 220px-Takashi_Tezuka_E3_2012_Nintendo_Press_Conference_(cropped)-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Co - director with Shiggy on most famous games, level design of SMB, Story of Zelda.

Still producing at nintendo

Shiggy is the hero

>> No.2575560

You'd have to be an idiot to believe that 1 man made something happen in any industry.

Sure, he maybe drew up initial designs, or made it "iconic' but he hardly made it himself. A capcom executive obviously approved the designs, so really, shouldn't he be the one getting the credit?

Inafune wanted Zero to be the main character in X, but he got shot down by an executive, or the project lead, or whatever. The only guys who really matter are the dudes at the top who can yes/no any idea.

Mighty No. 9 is going to suck and Inafune is washed up.

>> No.2575640 [DELETED] 

>>2574326
Some more info on Akira Kitamura:

Akira Kitamura founded the company Takeru with Kouichi Yotsui, the creator of the arcade version of Strider, alongside numerous other Capcom alumni. This company you could say is a predecessor to the more modern-day ventures of creators like Shinji Mikami or Hironobu Sakaguchi, who similarly left their prospective companies to form a smaller developer emphasizing vision over profit.

Takeru created a few noteworthy games: Cocoron and Little Samson, arguably some of the finest games on the NES that polished the Megaman-style formula to perfection. They also made Nostalgia 1907, an infamous sepia-toned visual novel flop that sunk the company financially.

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Takeru
http://thegaminghistorian.com/the-gaming-historian-little-samson/

A few other notable names I feel fell under the radar are:
>Takashi Nishiyama
This guy has done so much. He created Moon Patrol, the first game to have parallax scrolling; Kung-Fu, considered to be the first beat-em up; the first Street Fighter game for Capcom; and he led the SNK Neo Geo development team: Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters, Metal Slug - he had a hand in them all. Now he's running Dimps which made Street Fighter IV among other things.

http://www.1up.com/features/the-man-who-created-street-fighter

>Hideo Yoshizawa
This guy created the original nes Ninja Gaiden AND Klonoa. Pretty shocking how he made such separate games for two different companies.

>Shinya Nishigaki
He made the Landstalker games and later founded Climax Graphics which would create Blue Stinger and Illbleed.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JohnAndersen/20150213/236413/Remembering_Shinya_Nishigaki_and_his_quotCrazy_Gamesquot_Blue_Stinger_and_Illbleed.php

>>2575073
Tokuro Fujiwara is definitely a name of importance, and his counterpart Yoshiki Okamoto (developer of the 19XX series, and creative hand behind Final Fight and Street Fighter II).

>> No.2575649

>>2574326
Some more info on Akira Kitamura:

Akira Kitamura founded the company Takeru with Kouichi Yotsui, the creator of the arcade version of Strider, alongside numerous other Capcom alumni. This company you could say is a predecessor to the more modern-day ventures of creators like Shinji Mikami or Hironobu Sakaguchi, who similarly left their prospective companies to form a smaller developer emphasizing vision over profit.

Takeru created a few noteworthy games: Cocoron and Little Samson, arguably some of the finest games on the NES that polished the Megaman-style formula to perfection. They also made Nostalgia 1907, an infamous sepia-toned visual novel flop that sunk the company financially.

http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Takeru
http://thegaminghistorian.com/the-gaming-historian-little-samson/

A few other notable names I feel fell under the radar are:

>Takashi Nishiyama
This guy has done so much. He created Moon Patrol, the first game to have parallax scrolling; Kung-Fu, considered to be the first beat-em up; the first Street Fighter game for Capcom; and he led the SNK Neo Geo development team: Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters, Metal Slug - he had a hand in them all. Now he's running Dimps which made Street Fighter IV among other things.

http://www.1up.com/features/the-man-who-created-street-fighter

>Hideo Yoshizawa
This guy created the original nes Ninja Gaiden AND Klonoa. Pretty shocking how he made such separate games for two different companies.

>Shinya Nishigaki
He made the Landstalker games and later founded Climax Graphics which would create Blue Stinger and Illbleed.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JohnAndersen/20150213/236413/Remembering_Shinya_Nishigaki_and_his_quotCrazy_Gamesquot_Blue_Stinger_and_Illbleed.php

>>2575073
Tokuro Fujiwara is definitely a name of importance, and so is his counterpart Yoshiki Okamoto (developer of the 19XX series, and creative hand behind Final Fight and Street Fighter II).

>> No.2575665

>>2575560
>A capcom executive obviously approved the designs, so really, shouldn't he be the one getting the credit?

What? No.

>> No.2575674

>>2575060
>Yuji Naka, merely a level designer on Sonic 1

As much as I agree that it is a shame that Oshima isn't credited enough, Naka was a level designer and most importantly the lead programmer of Sonic 1, 2, and 3. Without Naka's fucking fantastic physics programming, Sonic would not have gone anywhere. People like Inafune are hacks, but Naka deserves a lot of respect. He is what John Carmack is to Doom, if not moreso.

>> No.2575921

>>2574368
I randomly stumbled upon Jeremy Parish's work the other day when looking for something unrelated. Does his work have much merit? I question the value of someone who would publish a book on game design.

>> No.2575930

>>2575921
His Anatomy stuff I don't care about (and haven't looked at, so no impressions), but Game Boy World is an excellent chrono-gaming series. Some of the Retronauts discussions are more interesting than given credit for. Parish to me is the definition of an enthusiast press writer doubling as a historian—I think he's pretty good.

>> No.2575934

>>2575930
Hmm. I felt similar, sort of interested by the game boy book but turned off by an underlying sensation of 'could just be an e-celeb who's published' kind of feeling.

An interesting thread so far, let's hear more if possible.

>> No.2575945 [DELETED] 

>>2575060
>level designer
What the fuck?
Dude, Naka was a programmer, Oshima was the character designer. This must be bait or some shit.

By the way, Yuji Naka also came up with the NiGHTS and Burning Rangers rendering engine, the Ghouls and Ghosts sega genesis port and the entirety of the Phantasy Star 1 programming on master system.

>> No.2576036

>>2574368
>>2575921
>>2575930
>>2575934
Former game journalist here. Parish is a faggot and a liar and a hack. I've spoken with him on multiple occasions. He's an asshat. He has no credibility and is pretty much the definition of a someone that romanticizes gaming history instead of trying to look at things with some objectivity and doing some actual fucking reasearch, which is inexcusable for a journalist of any kind.

>> No.2576352

>>2575060
The fuck, isn't he the character designer? I'm not removing credit from him but calling him the "literal creator of Sonic The Hedgehog" is really disingenuous. There was a huge team behind Sonic, it wasn't just Naoto Oshima nor Yuji Naka either. Even Sega of America pitched in for Sonic's personality, and they scrapped that concept for his girlfriend Madonna.

But even with all that, I would really love to see what a generic platformer it would have become if Yuji Naka wasn't involved. I don't think it's disingenuous to say that Yuji Naka was the strongest creative force behind the whole project.

>> No.2576435

>>2575649

Feel free to improve any of the Wikipedia pages for these guys. You get to act as historian and journalist. You get to decide what is important, what gets remembered. Make sure to site sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_Kitamura
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Nishiyama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideo_Yoshizawa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinya_Nishigaki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokuro_Fujiwara

>> No.2576443

>>2576435

A lot of those pages are small and don't have a lot on them. They could use some improvement.

>> No.2576454

>>2576435
Unless you can cite "legitimate" publications, you can't really just edit wikipedia articles willy nilly. And for the most part wikipedia doesn't attribute legitimacy to random websites. They usually want mainstream credentials.

>> No.2576457

>>2576036
>games journalist
>calls others integrity into question

I haven't laughed like that in awhile.

>> No.2576460

>>2576454

There's grey areas and it largely depends on how much someone enforces rules on certain pages. If the page is on some nerd topic, I just try to ensure the information is correct, it's not overly fan wanky.

>> No.2576467

>>2575930
It's hard for me to remember who's the one saying really stupid shit on Retronauts, and if it's not Parish I apologize, it might just be multiple people doing it. But that show as entertaining as it is, it spreads a lot of misinformation. Credit where credit is due, they do know a lot of stuff, but they equally spout some really retarded lies, even if unintentionally.

>> No.2576735

One of the best threads I've ever seen on /vr/.

>> No.2576751

>>2574326
Credit-grabbing like this is the reason I don't believe Iwata was the superhuman who media makes us think.

>> No.2576757

>>2574326
If Hagihara directed half the game, and Igarashi directed half the game, it'd be fairest to say that they're both the father of SOTN and Metroidvania.

>>2574339
I still say that's a stretch. Inafune didn't rise to prominence til the X series, and though he's happy to claim ownership of the entire franchise, it's really the product of a great number of collaborators. Giving him sole credit for Megaman is as inaccurate as giving Kitamura full credit.

>>2575519
Tezuka's been given equal time in the press lately, regarding Super Mario Maker.

Shiggy gets more attention because he's not merely co-director, but also producer and creator. As far as I know, Tezuka hasn't created any iconic characters--right or wrong, that's what the general public celebrates.

>> No.2576762

>>2576751
Most of Iwata's work was during a time when game staff were credited by name, unlike most of whom were listed in OP when aliases were used to prevent other companies from trying to snatch up the talent of their competitors.

You seem to call Iwata's credibility into question for "credit-grabbing" while simultaneously blaming the media for claiming his credit?

>> No.2577169

There shoul've been a 3 e-tank limit. Anyone can cheese through the classic games.

>> No.2577171

>>2576751
Iwata's name and accomplishments were on these games long before the media gave him credit.

Seriously, go fire up one of the games he's credited for working with and take a peak at the credits.

>> No.2577191

>>2577169
you could just not use them, mr videogame expert

>> No.2577289

>>2577171
>peak

>> No.2577620

>>2576757
>If Hagihara directed half the game, and Igarashi directed half the game, it'd be fairest to say that they're both the father of SOTN and Metroidvania.

Hagihara's role in SotN seems to be much more significant, and Iga himself says the same. I really wish that Iga could have hired him to head his new game.

>> No.2577834

>>2577620
it's pretty clear from Symphony and the subsequent copypasta clones just how much influence Hagihara had on the original game

Igarashi is a fucking hack

>> No.2577840

>>2577834
>Igarashi is a fucking hack

That's going too far. He did some coding, writing and assistant directing role for Symphony. He was deeply involved in the game, just not as much as Hagihara.

>> No.2577846

Most of these guys who dropped off the map probably had BAD ENDS. They probably got crappy jobs and never got to see any of the money from the series they created. Some of them might even be dead.

Takashi Nishiyama I know had a good end, since he runs his own gaming company. But I'm sure the ones who just completely vanished became Salaryman #330,000,

>> No.2577863

>>2577846
I wonder what Kitamura thinks when he sees Inafune as the modern face of Rockman, profiting off the character's legacy, and probably often thought of as the "father" of the character. I wonder if he cares, or if he thinks that Inafune has earned that right, or if he doesn't think anything because he's dead or knows literally nothing about today's game world.

>> No.2577873

>>2577863

I've wondered that myself. Someone should track him down. I wonder if he became a salaryman and stopped paying attention to gaming entirely. Which is a total shame, since he's a very talented dev who just got screwed over by Capcom, and then didn't get the support at another company.

>> No.2577879

>>2577863
I imagine he takes it better than I would. It's not merely that Inafune is thought of as the "father of Megaman," it's how he actively courts the attribution and uses it to his own ends. I'm more curious about how his contemporaries in general view him; at least in terms of attitude and hubris, he seems like the odd man out in the Japanese gaming industry.

>> No.2578107

Any devs or companies that you think should have Wikipedia pages that don't?

Feel free to make one. Suggestions:

>Get at least 5 references so the page is not automatically deleted
>Use mobygames and imdb as filler-references to start off
>Write in an encyclopedic manner
>Just start the page and others will come

>> No.2579249
File: 11 KB, 177x294, Manami_Matsumae_Photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since we're on the topic of lost developers/game creators:

>yfw the original composer for the first megaman was a young qt nip gril.

>> No.2579967

inafune is a businessman.

>> No.2580102

>>2579967
He's also an illustrator.

>> No.2580179

>>2577879
and Mighty no.9 will fucking suck. THERE, I SAID IT

>> No.2580201

>>2580179
I don't think you'll get many disagreeing with you.

>> No.2580330
File: 1.04 MB, 1600x2400, SCAN_Nasir1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How can we even cover this subject without mentioning the programming genius that made the Final Fantasy series possible, Nasir Gebelli? Nasir Gebelli, was an Iranian born programmer that helped put Square on the map, in the Famicom era. Even, Hironobu Sakaguchi says that it wouldn't have been possible without him. Luckily, John Romero helped open a dialogue with Nasir, as he had left Square after Secret of Mana came out for the Super Famicom, and had become a bit of a recluse. Read his interviews and see how he made the impossible possible, because of his programming genius. Yet, to this day, not many have heard of him, and give all the praise to Sakaguchi, who has always been an advocate for reminding people of Gebelli's work.

>> No.2580362

>>2580179
>Same 8 robot master scheme
>Dashing mechanic similar to Megaman X, but claiming to be more "classic" and Megaman-like
>Obviously ripped off the design of Megaman
>Painfully obviously trying to relive the wonder years of Megaman 1-7 and X1-3
>It never will
>Everyones going to rave about it
>I've already played this game over a dozen times
>Visual stimulus all over the fucking place from the trailers

Its not going to suck, but its going to be completely un-noteworthy.

>> No.2580375

Game designing is a masochistic proses which probably burns most people out real quick. Couple that with the fact that, back in the 80s at least, many Japanese developers got drafted right out of school dreaming about doing something else but not being able to find work and preferring the temporary job security, there's no mystery why some just vanished from the field as soon as they saw fit.
There's also the human element of death or even mental or physical illness that often goes under reported.

>> No.2580396

>>2580375
I thought that the families of Japanese developers looked down on them specifically because the game industry WASN'T financially secure.

>> No.2580404

>>2580396
In context of an 18-20 year old in need of a job, it was good work and more immediately lucrative and easier to break into than something that wasn't in an upswing like television or film. But of course it probably had a similar stigmata on it as in the west, probably still does in some circles.

>> No.2580418

>>2579249
capcom had all the cute girl composers.

>> No.2580458 [DELETED] 

>>2577834
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokuro_Fujiwara
>Making 9/10 games copying a 10/10 game is bad

:^)

>> No.2580465

>>2577834
>Making 9/10 games copying a 10/10 game is bad

>> No.2580538

>>2580465
>>2577834

Igarashi worked on TokiMemo before SOTN. He was the script writer I think. So he went from writing a dating sim to producing Castlevania in one go.
It would be nice to see how much was actually added by Igarashi, and how much was the original director.

I remember this one interview Arino did to Igarashi, and he said that he picked Castlevania out of a list. He wanted to work on another game first, not sure which one, but he couldn't so he had to pick another one, and when he saw Castlevania on the list, he was like "this this!".

>> No.2580545

>>2580538
>So he went from writing a dating sim to producing Castlevania in one go.
But that isn't entirely true. He didn't produce SotN, he co-directed and programmed. Hagihara still produced that. So

Writer for TM>co-director/programmer>producer

>> No.2580653

>>2580465
>implying copypasta shit games were any good

>>2580538
he's said several times he was a huge CV fan prior to working on the game, and that his favorite CV game is 3... go figure.

>>2579967
and a poor one at that, he nearly bankrupted capcom. there is a reason every noted developer at the company left during his reign of terror

>> No.2580657

>>2580375
>Game designing is a masochistic proses which probably burns most people out real quick.

From the sounds of things, with many of these devs leaving after a few years, and mostly during projects, their bosses treated them like shit.

>> No.2580662

>>2580653
>and a poor one at that, he nearly bankrupted capcom. there is a reason every noted developer at the company left during his reign of terror

What'd he do? And how in the hell did some artist rise in the ranks to be a business man again? This shit blows my mind. I don't think I've ever seen another artist rise in the ranks so much. Gaming concept artists stay gaming concept artists typically.

And wasn't it Inafune who made the decision to make the next Devil may Cry a Western made game?

>> No.2580670

>>2580653
>>implying copypasta shit games were any good
They were very good.

>> No.2580672

>>2580662
>And wasn't it Inafune who made the decision to make the next Devil may Cry a Western made game?

it was. this was a large part of the issue.
inafune pushed to move capcom toward "western-style" development; that is, build a custom engine, use it to power all of your games, make a bunch of stupid sequels and change the direction and design of your software to appeal to western audiences.

this resulted in such gems as:
- lost planet
- RE5 & 6 (Inafune had less to do with 6, but his initiatives influenced the direction)
- DMC reboot
- canceling MM Legends 3
- MT Framework, Capcom's aforementioned god-awful game engine

Kamiya, Mikami and many lesser-known programmers, designers, artists, composers and support staff left Capcom en masse as a result of Inafune's stupidity. Eventually, Capcom got rid of Inafune before the damage became too difficult to undo.

>> No.2580676

Who is Curry the Kid? He did the player program for most of the SotNlikes but other than that we know zero

>> No.2580680

>>2580672
>- MT Framework, Capcom's aforementioned god-awful game engine

I've only seen people praise it. And it looks like it was a pretty good engine though from a technical standpoint. DMC4 and other games look great and move fast. Issues with the games stem from direction and other issues. Not technical.

>> No.2580681

>>2580680
why does every MT Framework game run like shit on PS3?

>> No.2580687

>>2580672
lol this isn't even close to true
let's just admit people hate inafune and mighty 9 because of the whole dina fiasco

>> No.2580689

>>2580676
>Who is Curry the Kid? He did the player program for most of the SotNlikes but other than that we know zero

It's just a nickname for a team member, much like IGA is for Koji Igarashi. If I recall, he was a programmer in the handheld CV team. Nothing mysterious about that.

>>2580681

Because the PS3 is a piece of shit. It is one of the most complex consoles ever made, and needlessly complex. I blame no one for not getting the most out of it. There's a reason why PS3 emulation is set to be the next N64 emulation. In 10-15 years we'll have buggy PS3 emulators that only play a handful of games.

>> No.2580706

>>2580687
No, sorry. MN9 doesn't play like a classic MM, and Red Ash is just more evidence of him being a greedy fuck.

I firmly believe that he got booted from Capcom for trying to make a power play for money or rights to an IP and Capcom had enough of his shit.

>> No.2580707

>>2580687

MN9 looks like complete ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhbQ8Eik6Y

He put Koji Imaeda of all people to head the game's development. A man with zero Mega Man sidescroller or other side-scroller experience. It's no shock it's ass. It looks like someone making a mega Man clone but having zero idea what makes Mega Man work. "Soulless".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhbQ8Eik6Y

>> No.2580820
File: 9 KB, 220x236, 1359794551310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw soon people will realize Megaman was not good because of Inafune, but that it was good despite Inafune

>> No.2580901

>>2580820

I'm not gonna shit on Inafune completely. He made contributions, like creating Zero. I'm not a huge Zero fan, but Zero really fits the X universe a lot, and he helps distinguish the X series from the original series. Original series is 60's Astro Boy. X series is 80's cyberpunk anime. (Why there was never an X series OVA series is beyond me)

But he seems to be a nice example of the Peter Principle. He should have been kept for art and minor contributions, not promoted to Producer and one of the more powerful figures at Capcom. And his coasting on his connection to the Mega Man series and making people think he had a bigger role than he really did does irk me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

>> No.2580943

>>2580901
>(Why there was never an X series OVA series is beyond me)

It's called Robot Hunter Cashern.

>> No.2580950

>>2580657
Oh sure. The people on top in Japan tend to be business men first who still have lingering attitudes of embarrassment towards the field from the days they hopped on what they just saw as a lucrative bubble.
Just look at what's happened with Konami, These people would rather be doing anything other than running a video game company, and it shows:
https://www.gaming.konami.com/corporate/home/about/executiveteam.aspx
It's sort of like the early to late 1900s American comic book business, the real talent was underpaid and exploited left and right and even Stan Lee was embarrassed for years to admit that he was a comic book writer/editor and habitability danced around the issue when asked what he did.

>> No.2580952

>>2580943
What about Casshern Sins? Is that a good substitute?

>> No.2580958

>>2580545
Wasn't Igarashi also involved with Rondo?
He always wanted to be a part of Castlevania I think, but Konami handed him TokiMemo as a way of proofing himself/just being the usual Konami dicks.

>> No.2580965

>>2580958
>Wasn't Igarashi also involved with Rondo?

Nope. Symphony is the first.

>> No.2581092

Gaming historians, I need your help. This wiki says that Akira Kitamura worked on Little Samson, while being credited under the name "Hirokita".

http://wiki.selectbutton.net/people:akira_kitamura

Now if you look at the credits on Moby games for Little Samson, it lists

>Hiroshi Kitamura (Hirokita)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/little-samson/credits

What likely is happening is that some Wiki editor is confusing two similarly named guys. Alternatively they're the same person, which is less likely. But interestingly, their careers don't overlap, as Hirokita's credits appear only after Akira supposedly left the industry.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,319044/

>> No.2581149

>>2580965
>>2580958
He had a special thanks in Rondo's credits. We don't know exactly what for.

>> No.2581253

>>2576757
Too bad the first 'metroidvania' game in the series was Rondo-- which Iga had no part in.

>> No.2581258

I know it's not retro, but I keep hearing rumors that the guy who made Yume Nikki died, and if he didn't he's just seemingly vanished. It's sad to see these guys just vanish overnight.

>> No.2581260

>>2581253
how the fuck was rondo anything like metroid?

>> No.2581261

>>2580362
You can pirate the MN9 demo, it's legit pretty awful. Definitely not Mega Man tier, the dashing through enemies, general ease, and terrible level design (aka flat halls) kills any fun the game could be. Even the 2hu mega man clone fangames are better than this shit.

>> No.2581273

>>2581253
That's a funny way to spell "Simon's Quest"

>> No.2581275

>>2581260
Rondo, and before it, Simon's Quest, both set the stage for the more exploratory games, like SotN. SotN expands it to a new level, but there are elements of it in Rondo.

>> No.2581279

>>2581273
See >>2581275
I realize.

>> No.2581282

>>2580707
I like how he went for every obvious megaman convention but added a combo meter. It still seems like it's missing something though and I can't put my finger on it. I feel the concept of soul though is a bit too vague though to be repeating as the reason.

Still I will play it to see what it's like.

>> No.2581443
File: 18 KB, 257x286, keijiINAFCKING.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2574326
I hate this man.

>> No.2581524
File: 32 KB, 636x421, 19g92t83bc80mjpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Kenji Eno

>Made a couple great famicom platformers (Panic Restaurant, Time Zone)
>Tricked Sony into publishing an uncensored version of D
>Was so mad at Sony for refusing to ship copies of his game that he went to a Sony event to announce his next game for the Saturn (Enemy Zero)
>Drove across Japan delivering special copies of Enemy Zero directly to fans
>Created a game for the blind
>packaged weird things with his games like condoms and plant seeds

>ded

>> No.2581542

>>2581275

Except the original metroid set the stage for SotN. That's why it is called "metroidvania" (Dracula I hate that term and here I am)

>> No.2581549

>>2574326
I feel like this post is one of those danger dolan style videos in text form, where some goofball tells you things you already know and then you are supposed to rejoice of it.

>> No.2581550

>>2581443

Why doesn't Capcom simply continue making megaman games... They are not expensive and would sell a lot. Heck, make it 2D and call it X9 or something. Feels bad man

>> No.2581551

>>2581443
why?

>> No.2581575

>>2581551
>famous for ripping off astroboy but with a helmet
>claims he made mega man
>chased all the best devs out of Capcom, like Kamiya
>pushed Capcom to do DLC
>came up with the idea to make DmC
>was such a retard that Capcom fired him
>goes to kickstarter and makes 3 million dollars to make a blatant mega man ripoffs
>burns through the money and asks for more
>starts asking people to buy MN9 DLC before the game is out
>the game is shit anyway
>gets a publisher for the game that the consumer paid for
>Capcom's terrible financial state can almost entirely be attributed to Inafune
Oh gee I wonder
>>2581550
Capcom hates money

>> No.2581581
File: 13 KB, 292x148, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2581524
Absolutely based

>> No.2581610
File: 40 KB, 720x459, Capcom_Sound_Team.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2579249
>>2580418

>> No.2581630

>>2581575
>not liking devil may cry
you have to be trolling

>> No.2581638

>>2581575
Are there any images of Inafune without that smug shit-eating smile?

>> No.2581640

>>2581630
The reboot you fucking retard. Kamiya made DMC.

>> No.2581643

>>2581575
>the game is shit anyway
the game isn't even out yet
>gets a publisher for the game that the consumer paid for
games don't publish themselves buddy
>Capcom's terrible financial state can almost entirely be attributed to Inafune
that doesn't even make sense, Capcom's problems is due to a number of really dumb decisions made by the company it's self that has absolutely nothing to do with Inafune.

Oh, and by the way, in most interviews I have seen Inafune makes a point to tell people that he DID NOT create mega man.

>> No.2581651

>>2581643
The beta is shit and it won't change
Publishers should front the money for projects, not the consumer
A number of dumb decisions stemming partially from Inafune
>Inafune not taking full credit and acting like a jackass
Fuck off Inafun3

>> No.2581689

>>2580330
this is really interesting, I had no idea that an Iranian-american was the person responsible for 3D World Runner, Rad Racer, and the main programmer for the first 3 Final Fantasy games.

>> No.2581692

>>2581651
>A number of dumb decisions stemming partially from Inafune
>[citation needed]

>> No.2581705
File: 37 KB, 640x400, 407680-grounseed-pc-98-screenshot-meeting-kanami.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2581640
>being this overly angry over an honest mistake
may I remind you that this is not /v/?

>> No.2581823
File: 33 KB, 400x285, 1336934106566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread
We get it, you hate Inafune, MN9, and anything KickStarter-funded, now fuck off back to /v/ and stay there. As for MN9, it doesn't even look anywhere as bad as you fags makes it out to be, especially after seeing the latest videos
>inb4 muh 4 million dollars

>> No.2581876

>>2581823
that isn't this entire thread though, it's just one fag trying to derail it. Things were fine before he came along.

>> No.2581885

>>2576435
Nah, the thing people don't realize about wikipedia is it's internal structure. It has a bunch of people with no life that has risen up through a shitty "respect" culture that go around policing everything to make sure it gels with their personal view of history.

>> No.2581887
File: 3 KB, 512x448, Nasir_FF1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2580330
Dude was a bit of a attention whore, actually.
Every game he worked on has the caption PROGRAMED BY NASIR right on the title screen and secret of mana has a button code to write his initials in the status bar in case the western localization decided to remove his name from the credits.
I mean, I just think it's funny. Other than that he was an accomplished programmer, managed to do fake mode7 on the nes and you can tell the final fantasy series started to become glitchy messes once he left.

>> No.2581892 [DELETED] 

>>2581885
I can't even enjoy regular-ass MM threads without these clowns needing to shoehorn their bullshit circlejerk. All. The. Damn. Time.

>> No.2581894

>>2581876
I can't even enjoy regular-ass MM threads without these clowns needing to shoehorn their bullshit circlejerk. All. The. Damn. Time.

>> No.2581895

>>2581887
>Every game he worked on has the caption PROGRAMED BY NASIR right on the title screen
well he DID program those games, and I think that was more of a side effect of starting out as a PC programmer, where the programmer's name being right on the title screen/during startup was a common and even expected thing, than it does being an attention whore.

>> No.2581905

>>2581887
I've never played much at all of the early FF games since RPGs aren't my top genre, but I wonder how many people realized that NASIR wasn't a pseudonym for a Japanese programmer?

Speaking of which, are there any other instances of non-Japanese programmers working on Japanese made games back in the Famicom days?

>> No.2581918

>>2580330
could you link us to a few of these interviews?

>>2580952
I never finished Sins, I got like halfway through, but it's pretty good. Depressing as SHIT, though.

>>2581275
Neither Rondo nor Simon's Quest are anything like Metroid or SotN. Please stop.

>>2581524
Eno is SO based. So much respect for this man and was sad when he passed.

>>2581575
this guy seems to be one of the only guys in this thread who can see the truth past being a fanboy. Inafune is a fraud who nearly ran Capcom into the ground.

>>2581643
this simply isn't true. a lot of Inafune's decisions and direction for the company when he was head of development led to their dire financial state, and Capcom has only recently started to recover (And thats debatable).

>>2581651
This. The MN9 beta is not very good, you can tell that the finished product won't be very good.

>>2581887
How dare Nasir want credit for his work.

>> No.2581920

>>2581905
>but I wonder how many people realized that NASIR wasn't a pseudonym for a Japanese programmer?
to be honest I always thought NASIR was one of those weird alternative names that japanese development teams like to give themselves. I never realized it was an actual person until this thread.

>> No.2581931

>>2581918
I'm not even a fanboy, it's just all I ever see are these wide accusations and when ever anyone asks for proof of some sort the only response is a bunch of insults.

>> No.2581941

>>2581705
To be fair, dude, you're the one who accused him of "Trolling" because you couldn't be bothered to apply enough basic logic to determine what he meant by "DmC."

>> No.2581949

>>2581931
A majority of the Inafune hate is based on baseless hyperbole and mental gymnastics, all with the expressed purpose of trying to eliminate whitewash anything good Inafune did, while stressing mistakes or associating him with mistakes.

It's fucking ridiculous.

>> No.2581956

>>2581887
>you can tell the final fantasy series started to become glitchy messes once he left.
And they weren't a glitchy mess with him there?
Half the spells in FF1 simply don't work, same with FF2. How your characters flee, how elemental weapons work, the damage formula, the hit% formula, all broken. Don't even get me started on Secret of Mana.

They seemed pretty stable to a casual player, but if you examined it under the hood the games were some of the most glitchy FF games.

>> No.2581957

>>2581949
I remember when Inafune first left Capcom, the majority of the fans who were talking about it at the time were on "His side." I never saw anybody saying "GOOD RIDDANCE" or anything like that.

It really just goes to show how much good will he lost over the course of the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter fiasco. A lot of people went completely 180 degrees on their perception of the man.

>> No.2581959

>>2581918
https://vimeo.com/8959605
Romero interviews Nasir

>> No.2581964

>>2581956
>Half the spells in FF1 simply don't work
that's a feature
>same with FF2.
wrong
>Don't even get me started on Secret of Mana.
there's nothing wrong with secret of mana, besides the wrong palette bug.

>> No.2581974

>>2581964
you are probably just trolling, but FF2 is actually well known for being a glitchy mess, and no I'm not just angry over the level system

>> No.2581979

>>2581964
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Bugs_and_Glitches

>> No.2581987

>>2581949
In before someone calls Inafune a cuck and argues that the North American boxart interpretation of MM is somehow better than his cutesy anime-ish versions.

>> No.2582119

>>2581956
>>2581964

Given the stories surrounding FF1's development I just assume they Hail-Mary'd the damn thing without time or money to do any major bug testing. I also get the feeling that not many people at Squaresoft could really make sense of Gebelli's code at the time.

2 gets a pass for me since they really went and tried to do something different for leveling, and it's a neat system, but it really needs a proper set of documentation to let you know what the fuck you're doing with shit like armor penalties or weapon/magic penalties. The cancel bug isn't even really required unless you really like pointless grinding.

>> No.2582191

Takaya Imamura is the creator and father of F-Zero while Miyamoto takes all the credit

All he did was literally ask Imamura to make a racing game and Imamura handled the rest. He handled X and GX as well. It's a damn shame, he was banished to make submarine games after Miyamoto told him not to make more Fzero games because the last one wasn't innovative

>> No.2582232

>>2581575
>>famous for ripping off astroboy but with a helmet

You mean Akira Kitamura ripped off Astro boy with a helmet.

>> No.2582241

>>2581643
>the game isn't even out yet

You can tell how good a game plays by videos man. It's not rocket science.

>> No.2582254

>>2581957

I never really paid much attention to history and i really did think he created Mega Man. What I thought was that he was the artist for the games, and the directors came to him saying they needed a character. He made it and gave it a name. Then I found the real story.

>> No.2582259

>>2580901
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

>The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

>> No.2582267

>>2582191

Wikipedia only says he created the story for F-Zero. Wiki doesn't list a designer or director for the game. Who was really behind it?

I know with Miyamoto is that he made a bunch of the original Famicom games and some of the snes ones, but after that he was upper management and didn't directly create anything and just guided others.

>> No.2582283

>>2582267
How about you actually look at the fucking game credits instead of going to Wikipedia?

>> No.2582287

>>2582283
>>2582267

I don't plan on beating F-zero just to look at the credits.

Also mobygames just lists a bunch of staff but no roll

http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/f-zero/credits

>> No.2582295

>>2582287
>>2582283

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnuCzV7SY-8

It just lists producer and executive producer, and then staff but not what they did.

>> No.2583208

>>2576751
Iwata was a programmer. He had very little creative input into games outside of Balloon Fight, NES Open Tournament Golf, and the 16-bit Kirby games. His skill at writing code is well documented.

>> No.2583361

>>2582267
He was the designer for the entire F-Zero cast including GX and Star Fox cast until and including 64

He's literaly the father of Captain Falcon, Star Fox, and Tingle

>> No.2583363

>>2582191
wasn't gx made by sega am2 studios

>> No.2583428

>>2574326
Because it's Japan's culture. They tend to idolize the individual much more-so than the group.

>> No.2583432

>>2583428
I don't think you've ever been to Japan.

>> No.2583678

>>2581550
>Why doesn't Capcom simply continue making megaman games

>Why actually make games when we can just milk collections and HD ports? We don't even have to make the games anymore! Free money! What? Not selling? Just tell the dumbass fans we'll make another if it sells enough. Of course we won't

>> No.2583687
File: 8 KB, 250x181, 1437419944087s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2583428
>mfw this is blatantly the opposite of the truth

>> No.2584594

>>2583687
>>2583428

Nips are collectivists, it's probably one reason why the individuals who made these games are barely known.

>> No.2585237

>>2575519
He looks like a Bidoof

>> No.2585905

Some rare translated interviews of the creators of Gimmick!

http://www.glitterberri.com/developer-interviews/making-mr-gimmick/
http://www.glitterberri.com/developer-interviews/the-music-of-mr-gimmick/

Shame the lead developer didn't make anything after this gem.

>> No.2586102

>>2585905
I saw a speed run of that in one of the gdqs. Looked interesting

>> No.2588290 [DELETED] 

>>2586102

>> No.2588450

>>2585905
I think Gimmick is one of those games that had Sunsoft's lesser credited employees on its staff. For example, the main composer at Sunsoft, Naoki Kodaka, didn't work on this game's music at all.

>> No.2588526

Jeez, has anyone been following Inafune's recent trend of moronic blunders? Shit is hilarious.

>> No.2588613

>>2574326

It's like trying to find out what the fuck happened to amazing artists who were in relatively more obscure 70's prog rock bands and stuff.

They are usually just normal dudes who left the scene due to some circumstances, usually because the quality was starting to die out or they weren't making enough money.

>> No.2589010 [DELETED] 

>>2588613

>> No.2589435

>>2588526
>>>/v/

>> No.2590129 [DELETED] 

>>2589435

>> No.2590136

>>2589435
Are you indirectly defending the scumbag that Inafune is?

Being a /vr/trooper doesn't mean sucking up to certified douches like him.

>> No.2590165

>>2590136
not him, but what did he do wrong, exactly, besides employing a tumblr feminist?

>> No.2590171

>>2590136
Modern events is not /vr/ related.

>> No.2590186
File: 43 KB, 500x373, georgekillself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2590136
see >>2590171
Please take your anti-Inafune circlejerk over there, there's a new thread up almost everyday anyway.
>Are you indirectly defending the scumbag that Inafune is?
To be honest, while he deserves some flack for his actual fuck-ups, I've never cared to shit all over the guy 100% like everyone else is doing.

>> No.2590189

>>2590165
For one he has no idea what he's doing. He made comments about how japanese games are dead, yet the first project when he's set free? A megaman clone. It screams he's a one trick pony and always will be.

In a way, once again he's clinging on to megaman like he was responsible for anything other than edge.

>> No.2590646

>>2583363
gx was a collab between nintendo and amusement vision.

>> No.2590664

>>2590186
I agree with you. It's not reasonable to blame just one person for a company-sized amount of bullshit.

>> No.2592152 [DELETED] 

>>2590664

>> No.2593096 [DELETED] 

>>2590664

>> No.2593107

>>2590664
Except when he's the founder and driving force behind the company, and the producer/director of all its games.

>> No.2593894

>>2576757
>Inafune (is) happy to claim ownership of the entire franchise...

Can someone link me to a quote where he actually says or even hinted that he thinks this? I've heard this every time Inafune is mentioned, but haven't seen any evidence.

>> No.2594778 [DELETED] 

>>2593894

>> No.2594890

The same thing happens with Koji Matsuoka.. he was the real character designer in FFVII and not Tetsuya Nomura.. and has not been recognized . It is very difficult to find information about him.

>> No.2594905
File: 15 KB, 250x150, Etsunobu_Ebisu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This guy right here. Producer of all the Goemon games (at least since Ganbare Goemon started, not sure if he had anything to do with the original arcade Mr. Goemon).

He's not only a good producer, but also a multi talented guy. He did program, engineering, and even sound in games for Konami. Mostly he's worked on the Goemon series, it's like his main work, but he also a programmer for games like Dracula-kun on the Famicom and Monster in my Pocket, among others.

He also looks exactly like Ebisumaru! I think it's the only self-insert character that's actually good.

>> No.2594957
File: 15 KB, 288x86, Stacticnazcalogo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any more information out there of what happened to the Nazca staff? It's well known how they moved on from IREM after Geostorm II since they were sick of IREM's inactivity. They then went on to create Neo Turf Masters and Metal Slug, which got them bought up by SNK. It seems they left for other companies after SNK's initial death which includes Dimps(which might be why the Sonic GBA games had that huge sprite count) but most of the staff just vanished from the face of the planet since they all used aliases in their credits.

I wonder if some of them are still around in the game industry today. It's pretty depressing to think how some of the best 2D devs in history might have ended up making nothing but mobile and pachinko/pachislot nonsense.

Known Nazca staff:
HIYA!: Takushi Hiyamuta (composer)
KOZO: Kazuma Kujo (designer?)
Atsushi Inaba(not sure about alias, was also part of Clover Studio. Hated working at SNK)

Other important identities like MEEHER,(lead designer) AKIO and SUSUMU(graphic artists) are unknown, but they did participate in an interview which is included in Metal Slug Anthology. It's unknown when the interview was done.

Here is the interview:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bdaw2_metal-slug-anthology-interview-bonus_videogames

>> No.2594967

>>2594905
>I think it's the only self-insert character that's actually good.

Takahashi Meijin weeps.

>> No.2594971

>>2594967

Damn, forgot about him.
I also don't mind the silly Nintendo ones like Tingle or Totakeke

>> No.2595025
File: 132 KB, 308x601, ohohmygod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2594957
>http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bdaw2_metal-slug-anthology-interview-bonus_videogames

>Sean Connery or Jack Nicholson as General Morden

>> No.2595098

>>2594971
It's an easy mistake to make. I mean, what the hell is Master Higgins even a master of?

>> No.2595224

>>2594957
>Geostorm II
Whoops, I meant RayForce II or Geo Storm in Japan.

>> No.2595567

>>2595098

pressing buttons at light speed

>> No.2595570

>>2595224
>RayForce II
what

>> No.2596494 [DELETED] 

>>2595570

>> No.2596589

All this talk of people stealing credit for other people's work in video games is reminding me of Tron.

>> No.2596595

>>2595570
Gun Force II.

>> No.2598072 [DELETED] 

>>2596595

>> No.2599571

>>2596595

>> No.2600051
File: 25 KB, 512x262, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2580707
It's the 'soulless'-ness that makes me loathe this game so much. Beck, Call and Ray are nothing but ripoffs of MM characters but duller. The rest of the characters are iOS game tier generic, the stages are bland and lifeless, and possibly worst of all is the enemies are completely forgettable. Even Mega Man 5 had memorable enemies like the red jumping mohawk dude and space metts but everything here is just generic robot goons. They didn't even try to make an iconic design for the enemies, they're just to make the empty halls less empty.

Whatever happened to those coneheads in the concept art? They would have been something. I thought those would have been the mettaurs of MN9, but they didn't even use them. I wonder who made that concept image and if they had an idea how the game would turn out.

>> No.2600204

>>2600051
It's souless, but I'd be lying if I said Mexican Bandito Jigen didn't look cool.

>> No.2600206

>>2575674
>>2576352

Thank god there's some rational people here, this thread was looking kind of Gamergate-ish.

>> No.2600226

>>2600204
Best design in the game

>> No.2600234

>>2577863
On the one hand, he may not care because typically the Japanese games industry has been a very dry salaried environment where royalties were not even part of the thought process. The rockstar game dev like Suda and Iga is a new invention to cash in on their notoriety in the west, and isn't really recognized inside Japan where they still have fairly low profiles. Of course he could be resentful of that as well. It's kind of like some over the hill American rock band getting success with Japanese tours.

>> No.2600258

>>2581524
If you go back and read interviews with Eno (thinking of a specific one in Gamefan I recently came across) you might be surprised how much he talks about business and money and very little about the kind of abstract artsy gaming concepts he's associated with. I think his image as an auteur artist may be more of a creation of fans' imaginations. The story of him delivering limited edition EZ packages seems to be a bit overblown, too. As best I can tell there were limited editions shipped from Warp with the bondage gear and shit, then there was one actual hand-delivered edition that cost a fortune like a Kickstarter reward.

>> No.2600664

Remember; most of those early devs are so obsure because working in video games was a shameful as shit side job for the japanese until the 90s. That's why, if you go back and look at the credits of the games, everyone has a pseudonym.

>> No.2600846

>>2600664
That's not true at all; multiple devs have said in many, many interviews that the reason for pseudonyms was to prevent poaching of talent by the competition.

>> No.2601150

>>2600206
The fuck does any of this have to do with goobergate, why do you retards shoehorn it into every conversation no matter how unrelated it is.
It's people discussing ideas and trying to debunk each other. The truth doesn't get ironed out if people just passively agree with each other.
Is this your first day on 4chan or what.

>> No.2601184

>>2600258
It was pretty ballsy going to E3 and giving that presentation in front of Sony, though. They put up a video of the Playstation logo morphing into the Saturn as he announced Enemy Zero. Probably the biggest fuck you to Sony I can think of.

>> No.2601191

>>2601184
I heard there's footage of that somewhere floating around but I never found it. Probably not true though

>> No.2601517

Masao Shiroto, game and character designer for the early Kunio-kun games, seems to have dropped off the face of Earth after working on the obscure Japan-only PS mecha game Ridegear Guybrave.

>>2594957
>Takushi Hiyamuta
His latest known credit for a video game is for Half-Minute Hero.