[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2 KB, 256x240, Final_Fantasy_I_Lich_Battle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2573701 No.2573701 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /vr/, I have a quick question, if anybody has the time to answer. I'm about to start the first Final Fantasy for the first time (I've played a tiny bit of it once before but never more than an hour) and I was wondering what you guys would recommend as the optimal way of experiencing this game for the first time? Is it one of those games like the first two Dragon Quests where there's a remake that could be considered worth playing over the original? Or is the NES version objectively superior?

Also, the Chaos Shrine theme is god damn fantastic.

>> No.2573705

Wonderswan is the best

>> No.2573717

>>2573705

I shall look in to that version. Was it one of the ones that was made easier?

>> No.2573719

>>2573701
If you can't stand the NES game, the PS Origins remake and the Wonderswan port are the best remakes of the game so far due to being almost exactly identical in terms of mechanics and design but with a vast graphical update that still retains the original retro feeling and in the specific case of Origins a superb remastered soundtrack+art gallery.
Steer away from both GBA and PSP remakes, GBA is a butchered Origins with worse graphics, worse music, different magic system, no additional features like the Art Gallery and severely nerfed difficulty to the point that the game could literally play itself if you had autobattles, PSP only makes matters worse by having RPG makers graphics though it has Origins' soundtrack and Art Gallery, both have some form of Extra Content in the form of extra dungeons where you can find secret bosses like Gilgamesh or Ultros or completely new bosses with awful sprite design, in short, filler content.

>> No.2573721

>>2573719
Origins is only the overseas release. The Japanese releases had 1 and 2 separate.
It has some extra options to make the game easier like the easy mode and the quick save.

>> No.2573724

>>2573719

Cheers. I have no objection to the NES version whatsoever, but I do have a copy of Origins lying around somewhere and I can't get the NES version in this country (at least not without de-region locking my NES and paying stupid money for the game.)

>> No.2573867

>>2573724
Eh? It runs on a flashcart in any region. I really would recommend the NES version too because the remake artwork has no charm at all.

>> No.2573871

>>2573724
The NES version is buggy.

>> No.2573873

>>2573867

I hadn't actually considered a flashcart, good idea.