[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 157 KB, 700x823, darklands-poster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2568994 No.2568994 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk about classic CRPGs

>> No.2569524

Okay, go ahead.

>> No.2569717

>>2568994
whats your favourite?

>> No.2569732

CRPGs are something I really want to get into but can never be bothered. I've downloaded a few of them but I always give up and go back to Daggerfall. I think the reason I enjoy Daggerfall so much compared to other CRPGs is because it has so much freedom to do whatever I want without having to follow a story.

>> No.2571963

>>2569732
People always talk about Daggerfall's freedom, but I feel like you have to RP yourself, to make believe an awful lot of what you're doing.
As long as I'm providing the entertainment, I'd rather play a game in another engine.

I love Darklands, but every town looking exactly the same is a turn off. The flavour text and digi art are brilliant, but when they're the same in every city the effect wears off. I like to set out on a quest of my own, to get to City X by whichever route, but once I get there and it's exactly like the one I left it kills my enthusiasm.

>> No.2571971

>(Insert brief subject line)
>"Okay everybody, commence discussion!"

What exactly do you want us to say, OP? At least put some effort into your post and bring up some specific discussion points. We can't do all the work for you.

>> No.2572008

I really feel like Darklands is one of the more overrated CRPGs. It's pretty much the same little bit of content over and over again, but slightly rearranged. That's what's bad about pre-generating everything. It's pretty much Pirates! the CRPG.

Wonderful concept and setting though. It's almost completely historical, except all the Christian myths from that time period are actually real. I would love it if this game was remade while keeping the concept/setting and character/magic system, but filling it with actual handcrafted content.

>> No.2572283

>>2572008
Interesting to hear someone say it's overrated, since I rarely see any discussion at all. Agreed on all points, though I really like the game and the setting. There was a project to remake the game as a mod for Mount & Blade, but it doesn't look like it got very far. Shame, as it'd be the perfect engine to do it in.

>> No.2572289

>boring storylines
>poorly documented mechanics
>high probability of building a broken party that can't possibly beat the game

Worst. Genre. Ever.

>> No.2572302

>>2572289
I know what you mean, but I think if you have a good imagination, patience and time to spend, they can be immensely rewarding. All comes down to what you hope to get out of a videogame.

>> No.2572309

>>2572289
>boring storylines
what games have good storylines then? I bet you think FF7 is the pinnacle of storytelling
>poorly documented mechanics
scrubshit
>high probability of building a broken party that can't possibly beat the game
maybe learn to play fucking games, and don't put all your points into swimming