[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 186 KB, 256x363, Mega_Man_-_The_Wily_Wars_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2553110 No.2553110 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/ How is wily wars?

I'm not too huge on many of the newer Mega Mans but 1, 2 3 were my all time favorites, and I just learned this had all 3 in one sweet package.

Any known issues? bad porting? or is it really as good as it seems?

>> No.2553113

I think there's something about Mega Man being taller than normal or something, but someone more knowledgeable than me will fill you in

>> No.2553118

There's an obscene amount of slowdown, particularly during boss fights. It honestly must be played to be believed. Cut Man, a boss who usually takes about 30 seconds to beat with the buster, will take you well over three minutes, guaranteed.

>> No.2553123

>>2553118
that sounds like a good thing honestly. Cutman is unbearably easy to whump.

>> No.2553124

>>2553123
the difficulty doesn't change it just lags.

>> No.2553126

If you can already crush 1-2-3 in your sleep and you're bored of it, definitely play it because it'll throw you off. If you're not on that level, get on it instead.

>> No.2553198

The only difference is that the graphics are better, and for some reason the gameplay is a bit more hard to use, but this is not a problem.

I think Wily Wars is a good port.

>> No.2553232

>>2553123
being slower makes it easier tin
btw the reason why it's slow as fuck is because you're playing in pal-m. Rockman World doesn't have those problems

>> No.2553258

>>2553232
>Rockman World doesn't have those problems

Trust me, I've emulated both versions for years and just recently got a Mega Everdrive to play it on real hardware. The PAL version is slow, yes, being at 50Hz, but the Japanese version still suffers from an insane amount of slowdown.

>> No.2553516

Decent port but aside from graphics nothing's 'better', it replaces the amazing 8-bit soundtracks with generic Genesis sound (some tracks are actually slower) and the gameplay feels a lot more slow and constrictive. Worth picking up for cheap but by no means the definitive version of any of the three.

>> No.2553530

Wily Wars is great, but I don't even think it compares to the originals on the NES. Wily tower is godly though.

>> No.2553534

you should play megaman powered up, just saying

>> No.2553740

>>2553110
Megaman 1, megaman feel's heavier
Boss fights lag
And if you can find a repro I say go for it cause I don't think you'd want to pay 600$ for a legit copy

>> No.2553758

Enjoyable but not superior. You can apparently overclock to remove slowdown in an emu with no negative effects.

>> No.2553784

>>2553110

A lot of people mistakeningly play the 50 hz PAL version which is 20% slower than the NTSC version.

And on top of that, the game has major slowdown when there's lots of things on screen. It was outsourced to some guys, instead of being done by Capcom directly. And it shows. Inafune said the development was a complete mess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man:_The_Wily_Wars#Development

Even without slowdown it feels somehow slower paced. MM likely just moves slower relative to the stage than the Famicom games. The music is also total garbage.

Totally wasted opportunity.

>> No.2553823

I must say, I like Bomb Man's BG in this.

>> No.2553831

I like it.
Fuck the haters.

>> No.2553842

>>2553784
Although the 50Hz game is globally slower, there's relatively less slowdown in this mode because the console has less work to deal with. You could also change the game's region while playing, so it doesn't trigger the region lock and will run just like Rockman World.

>> No.2553845

>>2553784
I don't understand why people hate the music so much. A lot of the arrangements were enjoyable. Definitely better than a lot of Genesis music.

>> No.2555340

>>2553845

It's a mixed bag, half a soundtrack of good arrangements and another half of Genesis farting noises. Considering the amount of music in the three games it's no surprise they cut corners.

>> No.2556283

The originals play way better but this one still grew on me a lot. Remixes range from better to worse.