[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 9 KB, 351x143, images(3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2533494 No.2533494 [Reply] [Original]

Final Fantasy Tactics thread? Final Fantasy Tactics thread.

I never got a chance to play this one back in the day, picked it up a few days ago and I've been hooked.

What are some good character builds?

>> No.2533529
File: 619 KB, 397x298, 1430046804251.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2533494
Common ones:

>Ninja's with Martial Arts support
Ninjas fast speed and high mobility combined with monks punching strength. Particularily strong early on before the really good ninja knives are available.

>Wizard with Draw Out action, magic attack up and teleport
Draw out relies heavily on Magic Attack, its also instant cast. Its one of the reasons samurai is a lackluster job, but its ability is incredibly strong in the presence of a caster. Teleport means you can clear a huge distance if you're lucky and one shot a large group of enemies.

General Tips:
>Master Squire on everyone. Move+1 and Gained JP Up are pretty critical. Accumulate and Throw stone/Dash are very useful for unlocking jobs early.
>Squire can be better then Knight early on due to faster speed and higher mobility. Ramza's Squire class actually unlocks access to more equipment and abilities as the game goes on
>"Armor" is usually vastly outclassed by "Clothing" type equipment. Since there are no defense stats in this game, armor provides a strictly HP bonus. Clothing about midway through chapter 2 usually gives different statistics such as Speed+1 or Physical Attack+1 or some combination (Judo Outfit is +1 speed and Immune: Instant Death). Don't sell stuff with effects like that because it can be useful for certain characters on certain fights. As such, characters like Orlandu and Ramza who can equip armor and clothing should usually choose clothing unless you are absolutely desperate for HP.
>+1 to a stat may seem insignificant but in FFT a single point in a stat is a large difference.
>Some jobs are just not very good and are transitionary jobs. Thief for instance has some good skills but is generally a really shitty class. Pick up Move+2 on everyone while grinding to unlock Lancer (Required for Samurai, and Ninja) and make one person a dedicated Thief if you want to steal certain unique items: Priorities: Steal Accessory, Steal Weapon.

>> No.2533542

>>2533529
Nice, I've restarted several times as I am figuring out how the jobs system works.

>> No.2533543

>>2533529
You seem to know quite a bit about the game.
Not OP, but I like to minmax characters, and from what I could gather on the wiki, almost every class gives the same magic attack boost per level, while geomancer gives max/near max on everything else. I've been switching my people to geomancer for level ups to get the best possible stats. Is this worth doing, or is it negligible difference?

>> No.2533558

>>2533543
The wiki is wrong then, geomancers are good, but they're only a little better than average in speed, PA, and HP/MP.

Every job has the same MA growth except for special character jobs and Mimes.

If you're going to level up as anything you should level up as either a Mime or a Ninja. Ninja's are the fastest and speed is king. Mime's are just stronk as fucking hell and your units will punch holes in dragons if you level as a Mime. Mime's also, however, have the game's worst MP growth, its absolutely abysmal and their speed is only average.

It's not really a big deal since there are several MA based command sets that don't use MP (or really, there's draw out and math skill and that's already plenty)

>> No.2533559

Is Dark Knight the end all be all class?

I wouldn't mind making a charactet similar to Cecil from FFIV before he becomes a Paladin.

>> No.2533570

>>2533558
It had them listed as 1 for speed, forgot about that. I was leveling some characters as ninja/geo back and forth to keep speed decent, but if speed's more important overall I'll level everyone as them, thanks.

>> No.2533574
File: 22 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can you unlock characters from other final fantasy games, or do people mod them into the game?

I would probably build up the roster from FF6 for shits n giggles.

>> No.2533594

>>2533574
Not sure about mods, but unlocking Cloud is a secret in the original FFT. Requires a big long side-quest chain and doing a bunch of arbitrary shit. At the point in the game you get him, you're already super overpowered, so he is kinda useless.

>> No.2533617

>>2533570
Speed is easily the most important stat.
If you can get it high enough (by using stuff like Excaliburs, and Thief hats end game) you can multi-turn enemies unbuffed. Its partially one of the reasons Ninjas are so good, because their turns come around so fast.

>>2533559
Not really, its fairly balanced in that its slow as fuck and suffers from typical knight stuff. Getting Vehemence, Move+3 for ladies, and Nightsword on like Agrias and Meliadoul is pretty useful though.

>>2533543
If you wanna minmax there is an insanely long process of doing it. Bards have terrible stat growth and there are sometimes "Level Down" traps. You can abuse Bards awful level statistics to make it so you lose basically nothing on a level down, then level up as a Mime to get very high stats in other fields. Its an insanely long process and complete, utterly useless since you can beat the game leveling as strictly Ninja or something.

>> No.2533625

My recommendation is to use generics and name them like me, the cast characters are OP. Also this allows you to build types of characters with specific roles instead of a group of pure rape machines.

Do the side quests, they're fun. Beowulf and cloud are interesting secret characters. There's more than those two though.

Some classes will become obviously superior but each has it's perks so don't get too wrapped up in having "best" classes. People have beaten the game with all the same class people, so there's not too much to complain about for any one class; you can win.

The story is cool, some basis in War of Roses man. Appreciate it despite some bad translation points.

I'd get into strats and builds but I think it's best to develop your own approach.

>> No.2533637

>>2533625
actually it's not based on the war of roses but rather on a certain civil war in the history, of, I think it was turkey or the ukraine? Matsuno actually visited that area and based a lot of his games on his experiences there.

>> No.2533738

>>2533617
What do you mean by level down?

>> No.2533795

What do the bravery and faith stats effect?

>> No.2533808

There's nothing tactical about this game, it's just a JRPG with extremely long encounters. It's basically FF5 made worse by the Ogre team. There's too many ways to break the game, it never achieves a sense of balance at all.

>> No.2533883

>>2533808
not being challenging doesn't make something not tactical.

it's a final fantasy. there are no hard final fantasy games.

>> No.2533891

>>2533808
yep, this.
It's still awesome, though, because ff5 was awesome.

>> No.2533892

>>2533738
There are traps that will level you down.

IE: You're level 50, you step on the trap you're now level 49. You can continually step on these traps to level down all the way back to level 1.

So you "Level down" as the class with the shittiest stat growth, which is Bard, because you basically lose your level growth when you level down.

Then you grind back up as the highest growth job (usually Mime, sometimes as a Ninja or Summoner for Speed and MP growths).

Its pretty simple. Its a bit tedious to setup, but its also an insanely long process. You end up being even more powerful then normal, and since there isn't really any super bosses or extremely difficult fights in FFT, its usually not worth it.

>> No.2533896

this is why I'm doing a rebalance/challenge hack/grammar fix

the game throws a lot of archers at you and I thought it was really a shame that they aren't more devastating and dangerous.

among other things

>> No.2533908

>>2533896
Its been done, and probably better then you could ever do anyways.

FFT is fine as it is. Its not difficult, but its enjoyable throughout and if you're not grinding like a madman and completely abusing the games systems then parts can be a bit challenging at times.

Why would you waste your time making a rebalence or hack anywyas, just make your own IP and your own game.

>> No.2533946

>>2533908
Because I like FFT and my only real intention is to make it more fun for me personally to play. if other people like it then that's a bonus but I certainly don't give a shit whether they do or don't.

>> No.2533957

>>2533637
I'm not saying you're wrong but there is definitely some basis in the war of the roses man.

>> No.2533970

>>2533957
anon please don't embarrass yourself we both know you just read that somewhere else and have nowhere near the familiarity to make an actual comparison on your own

>> No.2533984
File: 294 KB, 1148x703, Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Lion_War_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wanna do a new run, should I stick to the PS1 version or play WotL? I never tried that one so I don't know if they fucked it up or something.

>> No.2533998

>>2533970
I'm not saying I'm more familiar with it than you and I already stated that you weren't wrong, I merely stated that there is obviously some presence of the war of the roses in the game. I mean simply looking at the hundreds year war should be more than enough to explain that.

Also, I'm not some hikki that trolls the web nor am I unintelligent. I have a bachelors in biochem.

>> No.2534004

>>2533984
Depends.
The translation is more competent, but some people prefer the original for nostalgia and for some reason they can't handle the ye olde english.

I could take it or leave it. The PSP version has slow down on all spells and a lot of abilities, which is pretty grating at times.

The 2 additional jobs require a huge investment, like Mime tier with mastered blackmage and no JP glitch available.

If its just casual, pS1 is better because for a lot of jobs you can JP glitch and just enjoy the game without worrying too much about grinding abilities.

>> No.2534006

>>2533984
there's a patch to make PSP version not suck (Slowdown)

>> No.2534103

>>2533574
You can do both. Some people mod in characters, but Cloud is a secret character.

The PSP games put in ones from the other Ivalice games too.

>> No.2534108

>>2534004
In defense of those who prefer the other translation, it is rather horrid Ye Olde English. They were trying to be clever and make it like Vagrant Story or something, but failed miserably.

>> No.2534116

>>2534004
Slowdown has a patch and it even works on the physical version. Don't pick up iOS or Android unless you plan on somehow using iOS's port of this fix, Square's "patch" is shit because they just speed up the animations instead of fixing the problem. It results in really bad sound and the like whenever big animations like summons happen.

>> No.2534490

>>2533892
No shit, that's good to know.

>> No.2534570

Hallowed blade is GOAT

>> No.2534652

I'm trying to do a "beastmaster" kind of playthrough (read: Orator Ramza and monsters only). What kind of monsters will be my MVPs and why?)

>> No.2534695

>>2534652
Red Chocobos are pretty easy to get early on and clean house with choco meteor.

Behemoths have some pretty retardedly overpowerful abilities to be unlocked with monster skill.

Bad Breath is OP as fuck and Great Marlboros also have that status effect that permanently changes human units into monsters, so that's definitely a thing.

The Hydra family has a bunch of OP abilities like Triple X and Dark Whisper, so those are a real good choice for DPT

Try using the Ghost's life drain abilities against Lucavi too. Trees make good healers. Flying eyeball monsters are good for other status effects when you don't wanna deal with slow as shit morbols.

>> No.2534712

>>2534695
Yeah, that's good, but don't Trees have a really shitty vertical tolerance?

Will a Cockatoris, Sacred, and Exploder make do until I get the bigger guns?

>> No.2534832
File: 218 KB, 360x614, 10nnant.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first time playing
>figure out how to invite monsters
>mfw eggs started appearing

>> No.2535036

No Omnislash Cloud blows.

>> No.2535039

>>2534695
Bad Breath has always been OP, so they just made all of the monsters immune in later games.

>> No.2535279

Did anyone else completely love the old Lucavi transformation sfx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmqrKo-_m0

>> No.2535503

>>2533494
This game is so fucking good, why didnt square make any more FFT games? Nobody cares about the storyline, they want to statwhore.

>> No.2535580
File: 43 KB, 396x446, 1372179452213.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2535279

You are not alone.

>mfw first time playing through blind and Cardinal Delacroix battle

>> No.2535583

>>2535503
that's exactly what they did with FFTA

>> No.2535641

>>2535583
I thought it was the same game.

>> No.2535656
File: 204 KB, 1440x810, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2535641
Oh anon, You!

>> No.2535696

>>2535656
They left it in 1997, and just glittered it up for mobile platforms. SRPGs are a dime a dozen, but FFT did it well. Would love a nextgen version.

>> No.2535770
File: 105 KB, 479x429, 1433634300379.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has /vr/ ever tried any FFT mods?

I recommend Arena for the anons that always wants to do some sort of team battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65VdP59MQg

>> No.2535785
File: 929 KB, 264x320, 1424069045020.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2535279
>>2535580
Any of the "screams" are fucking amazing
>mfw Dark Holy goes off

>> No.2535884
File: 611 KB, 900x997, 1421121694654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2533594
"kinda useless"

For Clarification:
Cloud joins your party at level 1 towards the end tail of the game.
Cloud requires a hidden weapon called "Materia Blade" to use his unique sword skills "Limit Break"
Cloud's Limit Break doesn't trigger instantly like other unique character's sword skills, instead, like magic they have a charge time.

The trade off is that Cloud has some truly massive AOE compared to other characters.
Only Summons, high level magic, and Meteor have comparable AOE's.

Cloud isn't lacking in damage and can be built to be quite a power house and it really doesn't take that long to level people up in the end game.

Cloud usually gets over looked since you get a different unique, already on par with your team's level and sporting some of the best equipment in the game a bit earlier and doesn't require such a broad range of skills from other classes to make optimal.

FFT PSP version has two new uniques, Luso, protagonist of FFT2A who is a carbon copy of the main character and a second Balthier who has the highest damage potential in the game thanks to being able to attack four times in a row.

>> No.2535903

>>2535884
I never use Cloud. It'd be one thing if he came with the Materia blade but having to go get it is a pain in the ass and I never bother. I don't even do the sidequest anymore because its totally unnecessary.

Materia blade is weak. You need a very specific setup for cloud to make him even usable, and its not worth it at the end game. You'll probably have a mastered Orlandu (or near, most likely you'll have the big 2 anyways, Lightning Stab, Nightsword), and chances are you fed him a generic for abilities since he most likely took over a spot in the roster previously used by a generic.

Same for Agrias, maybe Mustadio, maybe Meliadoul.

>> No.2535910
File: 111 KB, 1025x890, agrias1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So...

They were lesbians, right?

>> No.2535937

>>2535770
I've play tested nearly every single mod ever created for FFT. I can give you a quick rundown on the good ones.

Laggy Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3030, this is the last good version anything after this is shit.
Call of Power from a technical standpoint if that's your thing.
Celdia Class Patch, remakes all the classes in the game like that one FFV mod. Can be fun to mess around in but is kind of a mess.

Those are really the only decent ones. The rest aren't awful but they really don't do enough to make it worth it to play them.

>> No.2535940

>>2535696
>nextgen
it's turn based, what would it benefit from being next gen? better graphics?

>> No.2535946

>>2535937

FFT 1.3034 is the same as 3030, but with buffed monsters and bug changes.

>tfw you cant find these mods anywhere
>tfw if you find one it's the new 1.3 version and not the old 1.3 version

>> No.2535963

>>2535910
Regardless of whther they were or not, they both rode Delita's dick to tomorrow, just like Ramza did.

>> No.2535969

>>2533637
>>2533970

>England and France have a war called "the Hundred Years War"
>after this war, England itself has a civil war started by two rivals to the throne, called "the War of the Roses"

>Ivalice and Ordalia have a war called "the Fifty Years War"
>after this war, Ivalice itself has a civil war started by two rivals to the throne, called "the War of the Lions"

Yep no similarity there at all

>> No.2535978
File: 170 KB, 501x600, 14588117_m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw my tactics save was deleted (fucking iOS) and now I'm too lazy to start again.

Anyway I've been playing PSP Tactics Ogre, and while the story is interesting and I prefer the gameplay and maps of it, it doesn't feel as personal and urgent as FFT. I'm in the beginning of chapter 3, does it get better or should I just start FFT again (I had just defeated Belias before the save game was deleted) ?

I feel I'm playing more just to get Ravness than for giving a fuck about the storyline of TO

>> No.2535982

My main gripe with this game is probably how easily broken it is. Like if you do not grind at all missions will probably be too hard, and you decide to grind and you end up doing enough to get a couple of decent skills and by then you've levelled too much and everything becomes a cakewalk

>> No.2535990

>>2534116
The mobile port isnt very good. There are the issues like you mentioned, it feels like a very inaccurate emulation. And the controls are very bad. You'd think an SRPG would be great with touch controls but it's not tailored for it, you basically slide your finger down or up to simulate a dpad. You can press tiles directly and menu options but everything including menus are a straight port so it's too small and thus awkward. You'll want physical controls for this game.

>> No.2536009

>>2535978

Ravness isn't that impressive, don't know why you are pushing forward just for her, unless you are a waifu autist

>> No.2536014

>>2533908
I don't think you realize just how many tools and documentation FFT has devoted to just hacking it. You could probably make your own 1.3esque hack in a solid week's work. You even have people completely disassembling the code so they can add almost whatever they want to the game. Hell, they've managed to add the Dark Knight's AoE from the PSP port to the original game. Don't get too excited, it doesn't work that well.
Why not just make our own game? Why fuck around with ASM? I consider it a stepping stone.

>> No.2536019

>>2535946
Laggy Fantasy Tactics
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,2452.0.html

FFT 1.3 old versions
http://philsov.ffhacktics.com/FFT%201.3/Archives/

Call of Power
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=8qic6kpkd9aittt2dlaokfd736&topic=8390.0

Celdia's Class Patch
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=60.0

You should be able to find everything there.

>> No.2536021

>>2535884
Yeah, the exclusives in the PSP version are even more broken than the uniques in Playstation version to include Cid. Luso > Ramza because he comes with shout from the get-go, Balthier > Mustardio like you mentioned. Not to mention Onion Knights and Black Knights are also batshit insane. They did not give two fucks about balance in the PSP version.
I let the assassin sisters kill them all off and soloed the map with Ramza, making him eat each one of their crystals. Something about the uniques in FFT that pisses me off.

>> No.2536042

>>2533908
>knows literally nothing about this person
>somehow knows he'll do a shitty job
back to /v/

>> No.2536050

>>2533494
Cloud... The only problem is you'll have already beaten the game before you decently level him.

>> No.2536219

>>2535969
Thanks for supporting me man, it kinda pissed me off how much of a dick the guy was being while blatantly ignoring that there was in fact inspiration drawn from the war of the roses.

>> No.2536239

>>2535279
That sound at the end is actually a distorted version of Kefka's laugh from FF6

>> No.2536274

This is the only game I have on my android.

>> No.2536279

>>2536014
>>2536042
thx guys

yes, game design isn't the same as game programming or game "auteur"ing. A game like Cave Story made by one person took like 5 years of his life devoting most of his spare time to it while he worked and held a marriage together. If I wanted to do everything from programming to the creation of art assets and the writing of the story it would take forever, and the more original and un-derivative I wanted to make it the longer it would take.

To me this is on the same level as when I designed my own embarrassing yet fun Pen and Paper RPGs in middle school, and that's fine. To me it's about having fun making it and having fun playing it. I like to think my idea of having fun will line up with other people's and this might explore that a little bit.

>> No.2536282

>>2536014
What is AoE?

>> No.2536305

>>2536282
really? Next you're gonna ask what are dots...

>> No.2536312

>>2536305
what's dps anon help I'm only 13

>> No.2536424

>>2535910
You don't talk shot about mai waifu.

>> No.2536453

>>2536424
Agrias is 10/10 would totes suck her cock

>> No.2536601

>>2536305
What are dots?

>> No.2536617

>>2536424
She's not your waifu if she's a lesbian.

>> No.2536646

>>2536282
>>2536601
Area of Effect - The area of which a spell will...well, effect, as opposed to range, how far a spell will reach. Dark Knight's Darkness Wave is described as a Cone.

Damage over Time - Damage...over Time. Poison and whatnot.

>> No.2536674

>>2536617
Anyone can appreciate the taste of dick from time to time.

>> No.2536713

>>2536674
I'm sure she was completely unviolated when she escaped from Draclau

>> No.2536803

>>2533795
Bravery and faith are boosts to damage and magic dealt by the unit.

Be careful not to raise your unit's faith too high. As it could make your unit really weak to magic damage.

>> No.2536813

>>2533529
>Ninja's with Martial Arts support
Nigger-sama, you've got that backwards
>Monk with Dual Wield
>Punch Arts allows you to heal yourself and revive allies
>Double punch at full Monk strength
>Basically a marriage of White Mages and Berserkers

Now, fun builds
>Bard, Dancer, Mimic x2, Ramza Squire with Dual-Wield and glitched double Excalibur
>Lancers with sunken state for tacticool xXxN0h0P3xXx airstrikes
>Calculators, to break the game

>> No.2536819

>>2536813
Monks can't wear hats, are slower than ninjas, and you can put punch art on a ninja anyway

stop being wrong anon, go sit in the corner

>> No.2536841

>>2536819
Ninjas also have shit stat growth.

>> No.2536875

>>2536841
Base Stat growth for Ninjas and Monks (lower number is better):
Ninja: HP:12 MP:13 PA:43 MA:50 Speed:80
Monk: HP:9 MP:13 PA:48 MA:50 Speed:100

Monks have shit growth. Ninja's only weakness is slightly below average HP and fighting job MP.

Stop talking, everything you say is wrong.

>> No.2536957

Why are archers such shit?

>> No.2536962

>>2536957
Mainly because crossbows and bows have unusually low weapon power compared to the way other weapon types scale and because Charge is a terrible command set with the later abilities taking an incredibly long time to charge.

>> No.2537240

>>2536962
This
I think they overestimated how strong or effective Bows' range from height property, not to mention an overreaction from TO's notorious Archer domination. So they nerfed it to shit.

Crossbows have the potential to be good, just from a combination of being usable with Shields, PA * WP formula and being ranged, but they just don't have enough WP to be effective in practice.

>> No.2537246

>>2537240
And by 'they' I mean Square of course.

>> No.2537323

>>2533574
>Ribbon is green

That really bugs me. Everyone knows they're supposed to be red.

>> No.2537393

>>2537323
I thought they were yellow

>> No.2537690

I know this isn't strictly /vr/, but are the FFTA games any good?

>> No.2537697

why is beowulf so broken

dude can turn everyone into a rock

>> No.2537831

>>2537697
Grendel pushed his shit in.

>> No.2537965

>>2537323
>Materia Blade is a Knight sword
>Materia Blade is being wielded 2-handed without Two-Hands ability
>His secondary command set is Time Magic, but for some reason he has Magic Attack Up instead of Short Charge
>Hamedo reaction ability

There are a lot of things wrong there really.

>> No.2538013

>>2537965
But is Cloud the greatest protagonist in FF universe?

>> No.2538015

>>2538013
I'm pretty sure that Final Fantasy games don't take place in the same universe and your question is stupid.

>> No.2538029

>>2537690
I like it, the plot is nice and the game itself is entertaining.

>> No.2538069

>>2535978
Well you're halfway there, might as well see it through. There are more qts to come besides Raveness.

>> No.2538091

>>2538015
But almost every FF game share some common elements like Chocobos, airships, magic spell names, and character design. There's nothing official about the games not taking the place in the same universe.

>> No.2538112

>>2538091
if you want to get asinine about it, it depends on how you consider alternate dimensions. several of the FF games feature alternate dimensions in the plot, and said dimensions usually being a part of distinct, differing explanations for the existence of summon creatures and magic and whatnot. alternate dimensions with distinct qualities already proves that even singular FF games don't take place in a single universe, and if you consider those alternate realities to be part of the same "universe", then you might as well consider them to be part of the universe we live in now, supposing that you believe in infinite parallel realities and the eventual and inevitable occurrence of all possible variations of existence.

>> No.2538134

>>2538112
Autism.

>> No.2538213

>being a subhuman ninja

>> No.2538240

>>2538112
I would like to believe the alternate dimensions are just different partitions of the same universe, kind of like on a computer hard drive. Each partition has its own rules (OS) and can interact with another partition with varying degrees, depending on the privileges granted or acquired.

>> No.2538241

>>2538240
very interesting, keep going

>> No.2538285

>>2535978
>being a lawfag
Good, it is best route

>> No.2538306

>>2538240
it both does and doesn't work that way because everything already works in all the ways it could possibly work and also doesn't.

Everything both is and isn't everything all the time, at the same time.

>> No.2538326
File: 44 KB, 479x720, 1429323618136.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2538306

>> No.2538356

>>2538112
Or, you can just think of it as a framing of common mechanics and tropes for the whole series. Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, all have very different settings and tones, but they are still D&D, so you can bet there are dwarwes, elves, magic missiles and +1 whatevers to your weapons.

>> No.2538357

>>2538326
>>>/r9k/

>> No.2538364

>>2536819
FFT: Rebirth does.

>> No.2538375

I like the guy who says he's play tested nearly every FFT mod, yet I've never seen him, and he's only listed mods that existed 4 years ago. Not to mention he only mentioned 1 story mod. lol

>> No.2538376

>>2538375
Yeah, that would take hundreds of hours pretty much. TRPGs are not known for their brevity, and even if you stick to just the completed mods we're talking about more than a couple weekends.

>> No.2538380

>>2538376
Indeed, I've spent 4 years so far on my mod, and it generally takes people about 10-20 hours (depending how they play) to beat the first chapter (since that is all that is currently released)

>> No.2538726

>>2538380
Where to download?

>> No.2539037

Whats the easiest way to level characters early in the game? What is the most balanced 5 man party?

>> No.2539084

>>2539037
The easiest way to level early on is to get a monk up and running and learn chakra. This gives you basically infinite HP/MP recovery ability. You can then either cast support magic on your own characters over and over (protect is good), or have everyone use Accumulate. Do this near the end of the battle when one enemy is left, and your monk should be able to keep everyone alive even as the enemy keeps slapping you.

It's most efficient to have everyone be the same job because spillover JP will level you up faster, so that you get more JP sooner, so that you level up faster, etc. until the recursive effect brings you up to max level.

The most balanced 5 man party well, it's up to your personal taste, but I'd get Ramza with a good strong secondary command set like Draw Out and leave him as a squire, and then get 2 physical characters and 2 magical characters.

>> No.2539640

Is there a way I could create Golbez from FFIV using a generic?

>> No.2540348
File: 904 KB, 1024x700, FFT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>not using this picture as the final fantasy tactics general picture

>> No.2540350
File: 137 KB, 640x480, hokuten knight.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2540348
ayy lmao

also posting random moments from the game

>> No.2540428

>>2540348
What the fuck is this?

>> No.2540486
File: 21 KB, 499x499, 1415812747895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2540348

>> No.2540520

>>2539037

>>2539084
This, for the most part.

It depends on 'balanced'; there are alot of different routes you could go with this:
short vs long range
magic vs physical
speed (weak) vs power (slow)
hp vs mp

etc. etc.

However, I always loved this setup:

Ninja / Thief, with equip armor (knight armor)
Chemist / Oracle (chems can equip guns, these can deal some shitton of damage over a large area. And fuck, chemists man)
Wizard/Summoner (Wizard as a first class has higher magic and better speed than summoners)
or
Time Mage / Calculator (Haste is one of my fav moves. Speed is the name of the game in FFT)

Regardless of the class, I ALWAYS have sword grasp on every character: basically makes them unhittable except for magic. Then you can equip the Robe of Lords (always shell) and/or equip Aegis / Venetian Shield.

>> No.2540621

>>2540520
Nice.

>> No.2540642

>>2540348
>Did my father died fighting heroically?

Isn't it heroic enough to die fighting?

>> No.2540646

>>2536803
Or leave the party altogether.

>> No.2540657

>>2533795
From what I remember >>2536803 is right about faith influencing magic damage both dealth and received. (97 faith is best for mages, the character will leave if it goes higher, fighters will be better off with very low faith. Faith 0 is magic immunity.) but bravery effects only counterattack chance. 100 bravery = 100% chance of countering any melee attack.

I think that's how it works anyway. Have not played this for a while.

>> No.2540697

>>2540428
It's a FFT general picture I made my friend

:^)

OC but please steal and use as the next general

>> No.2541129

>>2540697
Your OC sucks and was seemingly created by a blind person who simply used random screen shots.

>> No.2541298

>>2540657
Brave effects reaction chances (direct 1:1 percent, 50 brave = 50% chance) as well as Fist damage (Brave% * PA^2, basically). You still want your fighters to have some kind of Faith, because you need your support magic to work on them. Unless you wanted just run Offensive Magic + Fighters + let the Chemist/Monk pick up the slack, then low faith is fine.

>> No.2541338

>>2541298
Oh and Brave also inversely applies to finding items in traps via Move-Find Item. The lower your Brave, the better chance you have of finding the rare item the trap has. Very important when looking for treasure in the Deep Dungeon.

>> No.2541343

Are Mystics worth a shit?

Also do the enemys levels scale to which party you choose for battle, my main guy is at level 16 everyone else is like 13, and all of the enemys are like 19.

>> No.2541374

>>2541343
Levels of enemy units in FFT can be determined by three different schemes.

FIXED LEVEL: This is used for most enemies in story battles. The enemy's level is fixed at a certain value and will always be the same, regardless of the levels of your party members. For instance, Velius is always at Level 31.

VARIABLE RANDOM: This is used for most enemies in random battles. The enemy's level is randomly chosen based on the highest-levelled member of your party. This counts all units on your 16-man roster, regardless of whether you actually bring them into battle. If we call the level of this highest-levelled unit 'HiLv':

enemy level = ((HiLv - [HiLv/8]) .. HiLv)

VARIABLE NONRANDOM: This scheme is used for certain enemies in random battles and is especially prevalent in the Deep Dungeon. If we use the same definition of HiLv as above:

enemy level = HiLv + K
where K is some constant (in practice, it ranges from 0 to ~24)

In all cases, the maximum level that can be generated is 99.

>> No.2542214

>>2541374
This is bullshit, cuck.

>> No.2542246

>>2541343
>Are Mystics worth a shit?
Early on, Status CTs wear off too quickly to be worth wrestling the RNG for in my opinion. Statuses that don't wear off such as Petrify are more useful early game because they can't be healed off by Soft most of the time given the initial job and ability limitations early game.
Of course, those statuses tend to have low accuracy and/or high JP costs.
I would say, just get the job level up so you can learn Time Mage, learn Move MP Up, maybe Life Drain, and leave it in the dust.
>>2542214
That's pretty good actually. It means you can grind out some levels and overpower story battles. Just, uh, watch out for random battles.

Yeah just level up your generics a little bit, maybe two more levels but get that JP. Job levels are way more important.

>> No.2542258

>>2542246
*learn Mediator, not Time Mage. Mediator's okay, you get to use guns.

>> No.2542312

>>2542214
wait, what

>> No.2542347

>>2542258
Mediator's are as garbage as Mystics, you just need one for Brave/Faith manipulation and Monster recruitment, aside from that you're better just not having either.

>> No.2542376

>>2542347
BUT

GUNS

>> No.2542397

>>2542376
A mediocre attack is still a mediocre attack, even if it can happen from halfway across the map.

>> No.2542451

>>2542397
You've never played a team of all gun-wielding knights. Shit is ridiculous.

>> No.2542478

>>2542451
Whats a good gun-weilding knight build?

>> No.2542809

>>2542397
GUUUUUUUUUNS

>>2542478
Grab a magic gun (which actually can deal decent damage by themselves) and enjoy a 20+ WP to Break chance. Slap on a Yin Yang Magic secondary for Pray Faith to boost your damage if desired.

>> No.2542834

>>2541298
Magic can be completely disregarded in this game, as such, low faith is almost always better.

If you're going the physical heavy route its almost universally better to give up to 2 people Item and Throw Item support, or have a Chemist or two.

>>2542347
Full Mediator build is fun as fuck dude. Guns are decent damage wise and have huge range, and abusing talk skill you can recruit people using invite, or use Mimic Dravaron or whatever to put people to sleep, use Berserk on mages, etc. Was one of my most fun playthroughs tbh.

>>2542451
Pretty average tbh. Abusing break skill is useless when you can just kill people honestly. Break is only really good in certain situations (Meliadoul, Rofel, Wiegraf, etc), and even then its still questionable, since its almost always better to steal the rare weapons then to break them

>> No.2543192

>>2542834
Full gun team is not ideal by any means but it is fun. I'm about to start WotL with Ramza as summoner, two female mages and two male mediators. We'll see where the builds go after that. Should be fun.

>> No.2543214

>>2535903
A challenge is a challenge.

I think getting Agrias, Meliadoul, Mustadio or Cloud into powerful working condition is more fun than just making Auto-Win Orlandu everytime.

Especially since the game is about Builds.

>> No.2543228

>>2543214
Agrias and Meliadoul are not "a challenge", they are literally just slightly weaker versions of Orlandu.

>> No.2543235

>>2543214
>>2543228
Any main character with any holy knight abilities is broken. End of story. There's no challenge at all in using them.

>> No.2543252

Mustadio is a fun utility character that's not completely broken. Petrifying ghouls from halfway across the board is so satisfying.

>> No.2543263

>>2543235
>There's no challenge at all

That sums it up more succinctly. They're no more overpowered than any easily obtained combo that puts more thought into it than none at all, and Agrias is at least balanced by poor PA growth in Holy Knight.

>> No.2543278
File: 893 KB, 1065x540, 200a4a5f45f41000678859d28c590956.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2538013
>Cloud
>Greatest protagonist

He's probably the most famous at least.

Not sure what parameters a Protagonist needs or how it would make you greater than someone else.
Several characters might even have subtle character arcs that most people overlook, or some estranged near-silent protagonist might deal with issues personified by people in his party, etc.

Anyway that is a shit as fuck Cloud build. Probably made by some dude who isn't drinking enough cyanide everyday.

>>2538015
>>2538112
>Dimensions

You can trivialize each game as its own "universe" if you want to be some sort of spiteful deconstructionist, there certainly seems to be some irritable bias at the notion of a shared universe.
I can understand though, trying to pin canon crossovers on barely any evidence is something akin to fanfiction and a few steps away from drawing a "Dark" version of a character with rainbow hair and a soul stealing neon sword that your father has to cry blood into to fully power it or some try-hard nothing personnel kid bullshit original character.
Really, I get it, shit is literally cancer.

Still, there really isn't any reason that several of the games take place in the same Universe/Dimension, if you must.
Help me entertain this idea for a moment; FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, and FFX exist in the same universe.
Don't even worry thinking about that nonsense word of god "lol Shinra in FFX-2 means he finds FF7 planet" bullshit they came up with.

>> No.2543281
File: 636 KB, 700x988, 1419058384617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2543278
there really isn't any reason that several of the games take place in the same Universe/Dimension, if you must.
Help me entertain this idea for a moment; FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, and FFX exist in the same universe.
Don't even worry thinking about that nonsense word of god "lol Shinra in FFX-2 means he finds FF7 planet" bullshit they came up with.
FF7, FF9 and FFX are all games whose planets have a shared feature: The planet is alive/has an inner-life force composed of "Souls" from people who lived on the planet.
In FF7 its the life stream and contains the knowledge of everyone who has died and rejoined the spirit of the planet.
In FF9 the planets Terra & Gaia both possess souls unique to that planet.
In FFX everything living has a spiritual force composed of may pyreflies that then travels to the Farplane, much like your memories/consciousness travels to the Life Stream or your Soul would return to the planet.

In FFX if your anger, resentment, hatred of things was strong enough your pyreflies wouldn't move on to the Farplane, instead they would reform as a monster. This is the explanation for the existence of monsters in Spira, they are all sinful people who clung to some petty thing and became Human hating abominations.
Which is very close to how in FF9 that the Mist, a byproduct of the soul, caused madness and supposedly caused people to turn into monsters or created/attracted monsters.

In Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy X the lifestream and pyreflies work very similarly, eventually coalescing into a form of crystal that can empower someone by using the knowledge/memory kept inside.
In FF9 you equip skills by using "spheres" but its never really gone into what this means for the world of FF9.

>> No.2543315
File: 573 KB, 1280x720, 1421121132743.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2543281
Essentially the rules to the universe in these games seem to be consistent as far as planet is concerned, themed differently per game.
This cosmology runs all the way through the Final Fantasy series, you can even see it in the flopped FF: Spirits Within movie, or even in FFXII's Revenant Wings.

So whats with FF4 & FF6? And now that I think about it, also FF5, 12 too if you want to blend some Matsuno.

Well in FFX there was some rather colorful and interesting necromancy going around, essentially Pyreflies are just components of the soul.
Certain people with a certain gift were able to make "Fayth", entities who continued to pray to the point that they basically became Faithful Superheroes with an extraordinary Spiritual/Elemental power.

Essentially through manipulation of some spiritual energy/magic, what have you, a being was able to transcend being a mundane human into an 11' foot tall blue ice goddess, a rabid fiery dog man, a lightning pony or even three ladies in bug suits.

Well this also happens in FF4, FF5 and FF6.
In FF4 The King of Baron, post-mortem, becomes Odin.
In FF5 the Wyvern is reborn into Phoenix
and in FF6 everytime one of the three Magic God(dess) cast a spell the fallout would literally turn you into some magical god beast.

>> No.2543356
File: 127 KB, 793x1000, Green Dragon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2543315
These possibly aren't even isolated incidents in these games.

An explanation for what or how an Elemental Fiend comes to be is never actually touched on, instead we get vague references to a possible past life they may have led before becoming Fiends. i.e. Cagnazzo is "The Drowned King".

The Feymarch could very well be some instance of the Farplane, time moves differently there and its far underground.

This isn't to say some trivial bullshit like "Every Ifrit is the same Ifrit", since really Ifrit's were actually their own mythological creature.

But there is some universal consistency and therefore a potential that they are linked together.

>> No.2545843

Is the GBA version of this worth a shi

>> No.2545876

>>2535937
How's FFT: Complete?

>> No.2545923

>>2545843
the most major criticism is that it's too easy. other than that it's good.

>> No.2545942

>>2545843
It's not the same game. It's not the gba version, it's a different cast, story, classes, etc.

>> No.2546487

>>2545942
Is it a sequel?

>> No.2546490

>>2546487
no.

>> No.2546925

>>2534695
I must not have gotten that far into the game, how do you get monsters?

>> No.2546936

>>2546925
There is a Job called "Mediator" with an ability called "Invitation" that lets you invite enemies into your party.

You need Monster Talk for it to work on Monsters. Mediators might have that support ability inherently, I can't remember. I think they do.

>> No.2546938

>>2546936
You can also sometimes find neutral characters from a third "team" in random battles that will fight the same enemy as you. If they survive till the end of battle they have a chance of joining your party.

>> No.2547461

What's a quick way to get JP for early jobs?

>> No.2547467

>>2545843
>>2545942
I should note though that it's worth playing.

>> No.2547470

>>2547461
Gained jp up, buy potions and a lot of them, kill all enemies except one. Beat the shit out of your own people and heal with pots. Repeat till you get your desired levels. I've had samurai's and shit before dorter.

>> No.2547478

>The only half decent guns go off your magic stat, cast random spells and you don't get them until the end game
>Mediator is only good for Brave/Faith manipulation

I've always wanted to make a badass mediator Ramza because I feel like it would fit the story, but this game just does not want that to happen.

>> No.2547591

>>2547470
Or just use Accumulate in the corner like everyone else.

>> No.2547657
File: 22 KB, 620x413, 1429509141003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>shark in a character with Ovelia's model
>beat Queklain
>game takes my character away, leaves Ovelia

>> No.2547728

>>2547591
I think exp falters out when doing that excessively though.

>> No.2547734

>>2547657
kek

>> No.2547753

>>2547728
nope. not sure why you'd think that that doesn't happen at all

>> No.2547789

>>2547728
JP gain never changes in battle.

>> No.2547813

>>2547789
it actually goes up when you gain job levels

>> No.2547828

>>2547753
>>2547789
I said exp. Not jp.

>> No.2548016

>>2547828
Exp is based on the level of the character and the target they act on. If they always target themselves they will always get 10 exp for any action unless they have gained exp up. So you're still wrong.

>> No.2548339

>>2547470
>>2547591
Accumulate is better and cheaper than potion, so do that, but also get Rend Speed from the Knight Class. Hit the last remaining enemy with that until it has 1 Speed and you will hardly have to worry about him again.

>> No.2548531

>>2547478
You could make that work except for a few fights like Velius/Wiegraf where you would have to respec into dual wield squire or something.

>> No.2548553

>>2548531
I've one runs with:

Geomancer Ramza with chemists and lancers

I tried Archer Ramza, but I had to go Gun-Squire eventually because Archer sucks balls in this game.

Ninja/Monk Ramza is easy mode.

Summoner Ramza with Oracle, Time Mage, Chemist, and Mustadio. (Ridiculously fun party)

Who here MA-basedRamza?

>> No.2548586

>>2548553
It's actually really fun to do a hybrid magic/physical character with Ramza because his Squire actually has a high MA if you do it right. Plus he learns Ultima, and you can teach your sister Ultima in the final battle for kicks.

I've done Squire/Oracle/Equip Gun/Counter before, things went pretty nuts when used right.

>> No.2548601

>>2548553
I pretty much always do Draw Out or Math Skill on Ramza. You can stack a shit ton of MA and Speed on him with just his equip options, and then just put Magic Attack Up for him to clean house.

>> No.2548627

>>2548586
>not Counter Flood
You missed something really special there bro.

>> No.2548813

>>2548627
Counter Flood on Ramza is solid because his brave is always high by early-midgame. You rarely miss a counter, and you can counter any kind of attack.

>> No.2548819

>>2548813
Also, counter flood has infinite range.

>> No.2549580

What function do the Zodiac signs serve?

>> No.2549652

Have someone played Mercenaries Saga on the 3DS and would you recommend it? I ask because it's coming this week in Europe

>> No.2550012

>>2549580
Different Zodiac combinations between caster and target give you a slight (15%-ish) damage boost (or protection). I've never worried about it, but occasionally you'll notice a caster doing slightly less damage than normal.

>> No.2550751

>>2547470
So I did this, my 5 generics are samurai at like level 21, but how can I level up lev 1 characters now?

I wanna make 5 more magic centric characters.

>> No.2550806

>>2550751
gameshark

>> No.2550816

>>2550806
Im playing the android version

>> No.2550820

>>2550816
kill yourself

>> No.2550850
File: 228 KB, 827x923, 1301969054024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2550751

Have them act on high level units.

Healing/attacking your level 21 samurai is like ~30 exp an action. Just make sure that the samurai don't have some reaction ability equipped.

>> No.2550854

>>2550751
>>2550850
Do this.

>> No.2550867
File: 96 KB, 651x883, _Chemist_vs__Ramza_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2550850
although I should note that levels mean piss-all in this game, outside of the occasional speed point (which happens at about 18 for the majority of classes).

JP is what matters. Levels are auxiliary.

Oh, and my favorite build:

The "Prancer" -- Priest + Lancer
Male (Or Ramza)

Priest
Jump
Speed Save
Equip Spear
Move HP Up

Male priest for the higher PA. MA doesn't really matter outside of Holy (which you won't be casting much of) and cure. All the status spells (protect/shell/regen/raise/esuna) are faith based anyways.

Gear is a mix of sp and PA boosting gear, if possible. He's a better Lancer than the Lancer class -- light armor makes for better stats, higher innate speed, and lots of utility to boot.

He's no martial arts ninja or CT5 Holy spamming ex-calc or wizard with draw out, but he is a well-balanced swiss army knife.

>> No.2550898

>>2550867
Interesting, I've never tried that combination. Sounds like fun for an off-heals cleric type unit.

>> No.2550930

>>2550867
Ninja with Jump, speed save/abandon, and equip spear is better though

excellent stat gains, insane speed, crazy range and mobility, run away forever

if you want to give it durability, make it a female unit and give it a chantage

>> No.2551024

>>2550930
Lancer with auto-potion, throw item, and move +3

Tanky as fuck. heals left and right. Kind of a paladin build.

I used him with 4 casters.

>> No.2551095

>>2550867
Does low faith work better for black magic?

>> No.2551101

>>2551095
no. only Un-Truth works off inverse Faith

>> No.2551205

>>2551101
What does bravery and faith do? I haven't seen any purpose for it.

>> No.2551213

>>2551205
Bravery effects the probability of reaction abilities triggering, and the damage of several weapon types.

Faith effects the vast majority of all magic types damage/healing and chance of working if it inflicts statuses

>> No.2551260

>>2551213
So when I recruit guys, should I reject them unless they are close to 70/70? I have a few guys that are like 70/69, will those attributes increase as they level?

>> No.2551278

>>2551260
It makes no difference really you can change their brave/faith later if you really want to.

Maybe get some with high faith some with low faith to be balanced

>> No.2551325

>>2550751
Well fuck, this game scales no matter what. My grinding to samurai is pointless when I am still using early gear. Did I fuck myself?

>> No.2551332

>>2551325
sort of

there are some enemies in story battles that won't scale if that makes you feel better, and you could always win with no gear if you had a good plan and trained properly

but then if you did that you also wouldn't need to level up

>> No.2552238

>>2550930
Granted, but a ninja with jump is redundant, IMO. Throw is about the same thing (long range physical attack). It's like giving a geomancer black magic.

I much prefer my new ninja with time magic secondary. Haste and slow on a speedy/mobile unit is awesome.

>> No.2552312

My first playthrough I had no idea what the fuck I was doing and still beat the game. My team was mostly Lancers geared the fuck out in the highest HP gear imaginable with Agrias and Beowulf.

Just use whatever you think is fun. The only spot you can get fucked is the 1v1 Ramza v Wiegraf fight if you completely neglect Ramza and give him a retard build, and save right before the fight.

>> No.2552409

>>2552238
Jump ignores evasion, does way more damage than throw, and is based on the speed of the unit.

A Ninja with jump does really good damage and can choose when to be in the air. They're really good.

>> No.2552945
File: 670 KB, 800x1199, 1301969087439.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2552409
Concentrate can cover the evasion aspect (since you're rocking Eq. Spear), and caps at 16 WP via slasher versus the 18 effective WP of oberisk. Ninja's PA is usually higher than their SP, too.

It's better, sure, but I don't think it's worth the loss of utility that a secondary slot usually provides.

>>2552312
A-men. I got cornered into that fight because I was silly my first time. Had to restart the game (which I was happy doing..)

@OP -- WHENEVER THE GAME PROMPTS YOU TO SAVE, DONT DO IT ON YOUR SAME SLOT. YOU CANT ESCAPE.

>> No.2552986

>>2552945
The Javelin II has 30 WP anon, which is an effective 45 with Jump. It's also not that hard to get.

Even the Holy Lance which you can get from poaching has something like 20 WP

>> No.2553306

>>2552945
OP, occasionally you'll have a series of fights all in a row with no ability to leave and grind. The game will prompt you to save between fights; it's a good idea to keep a save from the world map so you can go grind up a job or two if your build isn't right for the later fights in the series.

Many games have been lost to that

>> No.2553431

>>2553306
I just bought War of the Lions, what's the deal with onion knights?

>> No.2553651

>>2553431
Body Odor.

>> No.2554429

>>2551332
Lame ass scaling enemies.

>> No.2554787

>>2554429
I think I actually want to make a hard type patch where all special characters and generic characters have non-existent stat growth, but boss enemies will still scale with your level, which you can't lower anymore, forcing you to try to level and fight as little as possible lest you turn your enemies into unbeatable monsters.

>> No.2555118

>>2552945
Thanks for that picture. haven't seen that one before.

>> No.2555898

Is there any reason to use steal?

>> No.2555904

>>2555898
Yeahp, otherwise unattainable equipment.

>> No.2556037

>>2555898
Honestly, no.

The best items you get in the game are in the dungeon, and you need the 'move-find item' ability. The only shit to steal is genji equipment from Elmdor, and that is quite a bitch to do, and not worth it, imo.

>> No.2556048
File: 80 KB, 500x500, 1429076957034.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>FFT isn't a numbered FF game
>FFXI and FFXIV are

>> No.2556070
File: 72 KB, 460x645, 1432579485319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2556048
does it really matter? It's not like it's the best of company nowadays

>> No.2556131

>>2556048

FFXI is a pretty good game though, too bad most people drop the game because of its git gud requirement to play, but otherwise its an online game thats sort of designed like an offline JRPG, its interesting.

XIV is just a wow clone and shouldn't even have the name, but was originally supposed to be a sequel to FFXI i guess.

>> No.2556145

>>2556131
>FFXIV
>WoW clone

Sounds to me like you've never played either. Both are shit, but for very different reasons.

>> No.2556184

>>2556145

Played both, FFXI for 10 years in fact.

FFXIV in 1.0 when it was more like XI and in ARR when it went to shit and became a theme park game, nice try though.

>> No.2556196

>>2556184
You're fucking retarded if you think 1.0 was anything like FFXI. And you clearly don't know what a themepark is.

Seems to me you're just a little faggot who heard the game was shit but has no idea why so you're making stuff up.

>> No.2556209

>>2556196
>1.0 was nothing like FFXI
>the game literally played the exact same as FFXI except with shitty fetch quests

also
>XIV isn't a themepark MMO
>quests take you from one location to the next
followed by
>sitting in town waiting for dungeon ques to pop and having zero interaction with the game world outside of the daily quests

Fuck off, idiot.

>> No.2556212

>>2555904
How is that different than poaching?

>> No.2556325

>>2556212
You can only get specific items from poaching.

There are items you can also specifically only get by stealing.

There are also items you can only get from move-find-item, and items you can only get when they come attached to certain special characters, unless you dupe them or exploit a bug and catch them when level 90-something ninjas throw them at you.

>> No.2556329

>>2533494
Not as good as tactics ogre.

>> No.2556337

>>2556329
Tactics Ogre isn't that good though

>> No.2557234

>>2533494
Is it possible to master all classes as 1 character?

>> No.2557243

>>2557234
Yeah. Just requires a lot of grinding.

>> No.2557645

>>2557243
Seems like thats the main attraction to this game.

>> No.2557648

>>2557645
the freedom to experiment? pretty much yeah.

synergizing strategies in FFT is pretty fun even when the game becomes easy.

>> No.2557718

I need an balanced 5 man team 3 fighters 2 mages
What would be some optimal builds?

>> No.2557731

>>2540642
lol. I love this comment.

>> No.2557741
File: 224 KB, 850x3206, IDontHaveOneYouNimrod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2557743

>>2557718
figure it out yourself nerd jesus christ why are you even playing the game if you don't like figuring it out

>> No.2557775
File: 80 KB, 375x501, 1436817473874.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2557743
I know which one you are.

>> No.2557780

>>2553431
It normally has very low statistics, but once a character reaches level 92, the Onion Knight gains 12 on each stat per level. It is recommended to use the Onion Knight class after reaching level 92 or after the Onion Knight's vitality surpasses that of the character's current job, since HP growth is proportional to the character's vitality upon level up.

>> No.2558118
File: 537 KB, 500x281, dwisk.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2557718
Quickening is the most optimal thing you can do. It effectively stops the passage of time via the usage of specialized calculators, one tweaked to put all your guys into critical, all of whom have high brave and Critical Quick, and another at the "end" of your quick-chain to re-trigger the effect with a low-damage calculation.

In short, the enemy gets no turns, and you get all the turns to do literally whatever you please. Just note that charged actions will not work. Time is stopped, and those need clockticks to pass to resolve, except they're not because time has stopped.

>> No.2558236

>>2557743
Im tired of restarting the game, shouldn't you be cleaning your cuckshed for when Jamal comes over?

>> No.2558374

>>2558118
I have no idea why in all the times I've played FFT, I've never tried this. It's hilarious.

Thanks to this thread, I'm replaying my all-time favorite game. Well done, /vr/.

>> No.2558379

>>2557718
Interesting hybrid mage setup for you.
Oracle/Battle Skill/Blade Grasp/Equip Gun/Move MP Up.

It effectively makes an Oracle have consistent damage output, in addition to Yin Yang Magic (which is the best thing to have in a Lucavi battle).

Also, try a Time Mage with Draw Out or Elemental and Blade Grasp/Short Charge/Move MP Up. Decent utility mage in Ch. 2/3. I kept both of these until Ch. 4 in one file.

>> No.2558413
File: 35 KB, 420x279, 420-jamal-idris-420x0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2558236
OH DAYUM

>> No.2558598

>>2558236
anon are you subconsciously afraid that other races are going to take your precious white girl booty

because we are

>> No.2558602

>>2558379
Try Battle Skill on a Ninja with Concentrate if anything.

>> No.2558818

>>2558379
My next run is summoner/black mage ramza with an oracle, a jump-priest, and a time mage, and mustadio.

>> No.2558836

>>2548586
Does accumulate work with guns?

>> No.2558851

>>2558836
Not magic guns, but regular guns yes. It raises your PA.

>> No.2558858

>>2558851
Interesting. I've heard using guns with the lancer's jump ability is pretty effective too.

>> No.2559645

>>2558379
Did you write this post using FFT Mad Libs or something? Lucavi have more status immunities than any other unit so I don't see why Yin Yang magic is good against them. They also have relatively low HP so you can usually take them out in a couple of Holys anyway.

I'm not saying that battle mages aren't rad as fuck thematically but FFT is really straightforward, and hybrid classes are rarely even half as viable as a purely physical or purely magical unit.

If you really want optimal builds, just slap Martial Arts on a Ninja or Math Skill on a Wizard or a Priest.

>> No.2559689

>>2559645
Summoner with Lich is the Lucavi killer. It will one-shot some of them.

>> No.2560035

>>2551260
you want your warriors to be high brave, low faith, and you want your casters to be high faith, whatever brave

some exceptions

>> No.2560047

>>2559645

lucavi have high faith that boosts the accuracy of most spells and drain life does percentile damage taking into account their total health. Drain life is super fast so four oracles can kill velius before his clops will finish.

>> No.2560054

>>2551260

depending on how much you like magic you basically want higher or lower faith. Even if only a few people on your team use magic your physical fighters having high faith will boost support magic used on them. Everybody wants as much brave as possible since almost all reaction abilities use your brave as the chance to activate.

>> No.2560483

Early Set Ups

Monk
Basic Skill
HP Restore/Auto Potion
Equip Armor
Move+1/Move HP UP

A fact that is unknown to even experienced Tactics players is that Equip
Armor allows you to equip Armor and Helmets. Equip Armor can easily add 100
HP to the max HP of your Monk. Combine that with HP Restore, Auto Potion,
Move+1, and or Move HP UP and that Monk is very very hard to kill. Basic
Skill is a good secondary because of Accumulate. Almost all of Punch Art is
PA based. Accumulating will raise your attack power and Chakra strength
making your unit an effective attack and support unit.

Archer
Battle Skill
Weapon Guard
Concentrate
Move+1

I am not a huge Archer fan but I do like Battle Skill. The main drawback to
Battle Skill on a Knight is its limited range. Put that on a Archer though
and he can fire ranged breaks from a hefty distance. Weapon Guard is nice
because that allows the Archer to have shield evade, weapon evade, and a
mantle. That is some good evade for so early in the game.

>> No.2560485

Mid-Game setup

Wizard
Summon Magic
Weapon Guard
Magic Attack Up/Short Charge
~~~

Summon Magic is incredibly devastating. The main draw back to Summoners is
their low speed. Wizards though have average speed and increased MA so they
deal more damage and go more often. They might run a little low on MP so
bring a unit with Chakra or Ether for support. I prefer Short Charge to Magic
Attack Up later in the game but at this stage either will suffice.

Pay attention to MA boosting equipment. Summon and Black Magic damage is
based on your MA stat and Faith. Equipping strengthen elemental equipment
(Fire Rod, Ice Rod, Thunder Rod, 108 Gems etc.), Wizard Robes, Triangle Hats,
Magic Gauntlets and other similar equips will make a huge difference in your
damage input.

Geomancer
Punch Arts
Auto Potion
Martial Arts
Move+1/Move+2

Not an exceptionally powerful unit--though it does deal some solid ranged
damage--this character is very versatile. If you have Chakra, Revive, and
Stigma Magic in your Punch Art skillset then you are a rock solid support
unit too. Martial Arts provides a good bonus to Punch Art skills. Geomancers
also have the benefit of 4 base move which can easily be boosted up to 7
Move. That is some no charge time support combined with good attack power.
This unit is sort of like a Chemist with balls.

>> No.2560489

Mid-Game setup Continued

Lancer
Yin-Yang Magic
MP Switch (HP damage is converted to MP damage)
Defense Up
Move MP Up

Kind of a strange set up eh? Yes there are more powerful ways to make your
characters but think about what you would like to be if you were in Ivalice.
If you have any sense of mind for self preservation, it is hard to do better
than this. Lancers have a shield and high HP. Physical attacks are blunted by
Defense Up, MP Switch, and Move MP Up. That leaves magic attacks and status
attacks. If either of those take a while to charge the Lancer can simply Jump
in the air to avoid it or inflict Innocent on himself. If you do end up
getting damaged Life Drain can give restore some HP.

Thief
Elemental/Talk Skill/Yin-Yang
Weapon Guard
Martial Arts/Concentrate
Move+2

This unit is kind of a pussy but it gives me a chance to point out a few
things. First, Martial Arts and Concentrate can raise the % of your steak
skills even if you are not barehanded. Main Gauche has an outstanding 40%
Weapon Guard that can help your Thief stay alive longer. Besides Thieves with
Knives are never going to provide a good damage output so it is better to
focus on self preservation. Elemental, Talk Skill, and Yin-Yang can add
effects like Sleep and Stop that make stealing equipment easier.

Chemist
Battle Skill
Auto Potion
Concentrate
Teleport

Equip a gun on a Chemist with Battle Skill and you are getting some breaks
from a range of 8. Gun attacks are 100% but gun Battle Skill actions can
still be evaded. Concentrate takes care of the targets evade.

>> No.2560521

>>2558836
No, regular gun damage is based solely on the its WP.

>> No.2560546

>>2560489

guns already have innate concentrate and ignore evasion from the front/shield/mantle, this applies to battleskill with a gun and you would want attack up or equip shield

>> No.2560726

>>2560489
>Ying-Yang Magic
>Ever
Yeah fuck off ya nigger. Your setup is stupid as fuck. Lancers are so naturally tanky they don't need to abuse the move mp up/mp switch. Its also a fucking massive investment. You'd be better up with a Lancer with Attack Up support, Move+1 (+2, or +3 pref) and literally any other reaction skill.

>Thief with Ying-yang
What the actual fuck are you doing? Just stop posting for fucks sake. Your shits all over the place, Recommending Weapon Guard and martial arts is some of the most pants on head retarded shit I've ever seen.

>> No.2561007

>>2560483
>>2560483
>>2560485
>>2560489

This is good stuff.

>> No.2561469

>>2560726
Yin yang is fun if you're not looking for truly optimal builds. Using weapon guard past chapter one is both stupid and boring though. Counter flood or blade grasp or speed save or literally anything else would be better.

>> No.2561534

>>2561469
Yin Yang is absolutely optimal if you're trying to win with a fixed amount of JP. If you're playing with say, no grinding outside of story battles, and no intentional grinding inside story battles, then it's actually pretty great.

I'm sure if your solution to everything is to level up and throw out max-power short-charge wizard summoning with element enhancers or blasting holy nonstop, it doesn't seem like the best choice

But holy is an expensive spell anon

sometimes it's nicer not to have to wait.

Fun dudes I like to put in my own roster though:

Mimes
Wizard/Draw Out/Abandon/M. Attack Up/Teleport
Ninja/Punch Art/Blade grasp/Martial Arts/Move+3 (Full-retard option)
Knight/Item/Damage Split/Defense Up/Move Hp Up+Salty Rage
Lancer/Item/Dragon Spirit/Attack Up/Move+3
Geomancer/Yin Yang/MP Switch/M Defense Up/Move MP up
Wizard/White Magic (Or Summon)/Abandon/Short Charge/Move MP Up

>> No.2561657

>>2561534
Starting in chapter 2 you can do propositions to earn copious amounts of JP without much effort, and Holy isn't really that much more expensive than Life Drain. You have to raise Priest a bit to unlock Oracle anyway. The real issue is that Holy costs a fuckton of MP and can only take out one unit at a time, so it's not really broken unless used with Math Skill, which essentially removes all of the drawbacks of being a caster class.

All of the casters, including Oracles, have a lot of disadvantages in the early game because they have low MP, bad equipment options, their abilities need to be charged, and it takes a huge investment to get a nice skillset going. All it really takes is one mid-charge attack from an enemy unit to take them out. Personally I think Geomancer is a lot more fun in the early game because they have a really versatile set of cheap, instant-cast ranged AOE attacks and they are actually viable in melee combat.

>> No.2561680

>>2556037
To be fair, the Masamune is absolutely amazing in that it rockets Draw Out from an already-overpowered magical skillset into WTF-tier status. Instant haste and regen on your entire party at the start of every fight if you set it up right? Sign me the fuck up.

>> No.2562970

I'm starting my first run in War of the Lions.

So far I like the translation. It's clearly true to the original dialogue but much more stylized. You kind of have to read between the lines in the original translation. I'm not used to the alternate spellings of characters names though.

Barbaneth? Tietra? Argath?

I guess I'm just used to the original names, but it weirds me out.

My build for now is a four man team:

Ramza - Battlemage
Black Mage/Summons
Auto-Potion
Equip Armor

Female Support Mage
Time Mage/Yin-Yang
Counter
probably quick charge?

Male Cleric
White Mage/Dragoon
Auto-Potion
either equip spear for range or equip armor/defense up for tankiness

Gunslinger
Mediator/Chemist
Counter Flood
Monster Skill

I'll also take Mustadio full-time when he joins the party.

I'm sure I'll mess around with the new characters and jobs later on, but this will be my main party for the first two or three chapters. Not an OP build or even optimal, but it should be interesting to run with 4 pseudo-mage hybrids. Maybe teleport or some other wacky movement abilities toward mid-game, but we'll see where this leads.

So far I really like Ramza as a mage-tank. MP management will be an issue, especially with summons. My chemist will hopefully be able to keep up with ethers. Otherwise, pretty solid range damage on a utility/healer with the gunslinger, tanky physical damage/healer on the cleric, and full on squishy for the pure support mage. Should be interesting.

>> No.2563051

>>2562970
Equip Armor is totally anti Mage setup which you have.

Give him something else, Magic Attack Up, Defense Up, any other kind of support ability. Equip Armor is genuinely a terrible ability.

White Robe, Black Robe, Chameleon Robe, Hell, Linen or Silk robes would be better as they provide MP and HP, and other ones give you a shitload of other really good bonuses like MA+2 or Half-elemental damage.

>> No.2563096

>>2563051
I need someone to tank, and since Ramza has such crazy mobility, he's a good candidate. His damage will definitely suffer, but Equip Armor gives him access to both helmets and chestplates. He'll have a shitload of HP for a caster, so he can run out, soak up damage and cast AOE.

Later on I'll probably move him back to Squire with Black Magic or Summons as secondary and Magic Attack Up. I like summons because you can also AOE heal. I can use magic gauntlet, full armor, and a knight sword with decent AOE damage and good physical damage while tanking.

Come to think of it, Ramza will eventually become a Dark Knight.

I think this build is gonna be pretty fun actually.

>> No.2563184

>>2563096
The difference between armor/helmets and clothing/hats in HP is negligible.

The stat bonuses from clothing and robes greatly outweigh the additional 20-30 HP from having helmets and armor. The extra effects, such as Immune: Dead, or Absorb: Holy can be incredibly beneficial and again, greatly outweigh the bonuses.

Equip Armor, is the single biggest newb trap in FFT. Its all over the brady games guide where it wants you to go be Ninjas with Equip Armor.

Clothing is better. Its why Agrias is a pretty shit character, her Holy Knight class doesn't get access to clothing, where as Ramza, and Orlandu both get access to Clothing in their base class. Granted, Orlandu has a shitload of other things that make him OP, but being able to wear Thief hats alone is fucking insanity in the late game.

>> No.2563354

For ramza?

Two hands, monk as sub job. main job Tier 3 Squire.
Then 2 lancers monks too, with two hands
Summoner
Agrias or some replacement theft/anti mage tipe of character.

999 on the last boss as ramza bretty gud

>> No.2563869
File: 355 KB, 338x431, domin8r mfw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I first did item duplication
>mfw 20 Excaliburs and God Save the Queens

>> No.2563980

>>2563869
>4 knights with excalibur
>calculator
>nuke the entire battlefield with holy magic constantly

It's so OP the game isn't fun anymore.

>> No.2564327

>>2563980
Isn't the fun in becoming OP?

>> No.2564453

>>2564327
It's fun to faceroll the endgame a time or two, but I'd rather do an interesting roleplay or challenge build now.

>> No.2564740

>>2563354
2 swords on Squire Ramza is -always- better then 2 hands.

Save the Queen/Excalibur or Chaos Blade/Excalibur will always outdamage 2 handed weapon every time.

999 < 1200-1500 damage. Especially with the offhand bonus like having Protect, and Haste.

>> No.2564778

>>2533896
Can you fix the horrible plot conclusion as well? The game really takes a dip on the later parts, and introduces some completely pointless and overpowered character for no reason.

>> No.2564789

>>2564778
Do you even read the backstory or the mainstory?

Orlandu is pretty integral to the plot. He's with the Nanten, but is obviously the equivalent to the Hokuten's Balbanes (See: Ramza's Father) and is trying to stop the war and as a result ends up in prison and "executed" since he's "dead" he can do what needs to be done to stop the war in Ramza's 4th party in the major players (Hokuten, Nanten, Shrine Knights/Lucavi and Ramza)

>> No.2564815

>>2564789
>Do you even read the backstory or the mainstory?
Yes.

>Orlandu is pretty integral to the plot.
Curb your autism. I wasn't talking about Cid, though he is overpowered.

>> No.2564838

>>2533529
>Wizard with Draw Out action, magic attack up and teleport
>Draw out relies heavily on Magic Attack, its also instant cast. Its one of the reasons samurai is a lackluster job, but its ability is incredibly strong in the presence of a caster. Teleport means you can clear a huge distance if you're lucky and one shot a large group of enemies.

The other problem with Samurai, is that even with increased power along with the wizard, all the good attacks take rare swords. And they break and you lose them. There is NOTHING more aggravating than losing a rare sword. It makes those attacks useless because you dont want to risk your swords.

Also, I would say Mustadio with Thief skills.

>> No.2564840

>>2564815
Then who?
Who is overpowered and irrelevant?

>> No.2564846

>>2533574
They are built in the game. Cloud is the only one in the original version. (Though Aerith/Aeris makes an appearance as "flower girl"). Balthier and Luso were both added to the roster in the War of the Lions Remake for PSP.

You have to work to get Cloud and Balthier to join your group. Luso is pretty easy to find.

>> No.2564852

>>2564846
Luso is also pretty useful with his innate poach, but you rarely need to actually use the fur shops.

>> No.2564985

>>2564838
Kikuichimoji is purchasable in shops and does a long Seven tile smart targeted line AoE

It beats the pants off of Earth Slash and is pretty competitive with Holy Explosion

>> No.2565379

>>2564838
Masamune and Chirijiraden can be cloned once they are found; all the other katana are purchasable. Also, Muramasa and Kikuichimonji are plenty strong enough attacks on their own with additional utilities that make them worth using even with unlimited Chirijiraden at the player's disposal.

>> No.2566212

>>2563184
I'm still in chapter 1 so none of those items are an option yet. At this point the difference in HP is about 40 pts, which almost doubles Ramza's HP. It's working for now, but I'm sure I'll have to change it up later for the Velius and Gafgarion one on one fights.

>> No.2566217

Rafa is my favorite character. Make her a wizard with her truth skill as second skill. OP SHIT

>> No.2566237

you just need to have auto potion (xpotions) and spam the +1 speed squire skill to win these fights

>> No.2567061

>>2566217
she gets raped by a fat dude tho

>> No.2567074

For your initial play through just enjoy the story and fuck around with build ideas. You're going to end up over levels as shit anyway.

Second play through feel free to focus on playing with the classes and just having fun with character concepts. Remember that even if your idea for a build sucks it's entirely possible to get it strong enough that it can rock any enemy it meets.

After several play throughs you might want to look into the de-generator trap trick. This lets you build up insane stats and basically turn absolutely any kind of character into an absolute bad ass with super speed.

>> No.2567168

All of the story characters in FFT are OP. The only way to have a challenge is to not use them. If you played the game using Orlandu, you pretty much just cheated.

>> No.2567171

>>2563184
I've got Ramza set up as a Summoner with a knight's sword and auto-potion. HP doesn't seem to be a problem, but he's slow. I may have to go back to Black Mage eventually.

>> No.2567734

>>2567168
Counterpoint: Rafa and Malak

>> No.2567743

>>2567734
Rafa and Malak actually have the potential for the single most damage done in a single turn, of course, the stars have to fucking align.

>Up to 8 hits across multiple panels
>8 hits of 999

Obviously unlikely, but if trained they can be competent members of your party. Obviously they aren't completely broken at the time you get them like Agrias or Orlandu, and your generics are probably stronger and a shitload more versatile so its easier to just sideline Rafa/Malak and continue your normal party, but they can be decent members.

>> No.2567784

>>2567743

not really, a tiamat does exactly what they do but way better then they ever could, triple flame and triple thunder don't charge, deal way more damage per hit (often 999 at the highest levels, faith won't reduce the damage.) and have very little vertical range so it is much easier to setup a possibility to hit someone multiple times with the attack.

>> No.2567793

>>2533494
>Final Fantasy Tactics thread? Final Fantasy Tactics thread.

I don't like it. I really want to, it just feels dumb and slow.

>> No.2568632

>>2567171
Wow. Sorceror with a sword is fucking weak. It will work better when I can give Ramza Excalibur for perma-haste. Until then it's kind of bogus.

>> No.2568926

>>2568632
If you want to do the whole combat mage thing, try out geomancer with a magic secondary ability equipped with a robe. They can natively equip swords, so that frees up your support ability for something better.

>> No.2568967

>>2568926
That will make a good mid-game build. Geo with summons and magic attack up. Geared for MA. On my way to dark knight eventually.

>> No.2569881
File: 1.41 MB, 1550x1600, 1434464851008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2533494
my builds are usually:

>any class
>martial arts (chakra and revive)
>shiriadori (samurai superdodge) + high bravery
>move+3 or something

items for either speed, magic or power, depending on the class.

Now you don't need to worry about being touched thanks to shiriadori, and if you do, you can heal or revive with anyone thanks to martial arts.
If you use girls, you can dance with an invisibility cloak in a corner + shiriadori until the end of times (or did dancing stop invisible?)

>> No.2569886

>>2569881
Another good one is a knight with dual wield, using excalibur and save the queen.
Perma haste/protect. Now throw in some perfume or lipstick (in case it's agrias or some other girl) and you just broke the game.

>> No.2570259

>>2568926
>>2568967
Its decent end-ish game.

Runeblade is +2MA.

Wizard Robe is +2MA.

So while not the best, its fairly strong and can kinda hold its own in melee, but pures are almost always stronger. Except Ramza, but he's just strong all around.

>> No.2570326

>> Using weapon guard past chapter one is both stupid and boring though.

A use I found for it, though very niche, was an item finder. Dancer/Weapon Guard/Equip Shield. Textiles have high EV, use an Aegis Shield and a Feather Mantle. Hard to hit physically and magically, but can also tank Brave for rare item finding.

Abandon might be better, though, now that I think about it.

>> No.2570334

>>2570326
meant to reply to
>>2561469

>> No.2570358

>>2570326
Yeah, but thats rendered almost entirely irrelevant by Blade Grasp on -anyone- since 97 brave = like 2% chance to be hit by physicals, and then you can just abuse shit like white robe to get half elemental damage.

Weapon guard is decent in chapter 1 and 2 since honestly, most of the knight skills suck dicks (outside of like, Equip Sword for Meliadoul, Agrias, and Orlandu, but even then, its almost better to not even bother, keep gained JP up on and level them like you would any other character)

The only really comparable reaction skill early on is Auto-Potion, and auto-potion is so fucking broken its abusable until the end of the game.

If some classes had innate weapon guard it would be more useful and interesting, but as it is, its irrelevant. Especially since Cloths, and shit like the Defender is so late in the game you probably already have mastered Ninjas and shit.

>> No.2570403

>>2570358
This build is for getting the rare Move-Find items from places like the Deep Dungeon, which is easier with low Brave.

>> No.2571046

>>2570403
What items are worth using move-find?

>> No.2571080

>>2571046
At least half the crap in there. Granted, Deep Dungeon is accessed so late in the game that the loot in there hardly matters, but it's fun to play with and it has all that completionist value.

>> No.2571083

>>2571046

robe of lords, faith rod, elemental guns, chirijiraden, ragnarok, chaos blade, javelin II and escutcheon II. There is also the best bows if you are into that sort of thing

>> No.2573041

>>2570259
Ramza as Geo/Sorc is working out great. He's fine for most fights as a regular summoner, and for one on one fights or zodiacs (or whenever I feel like changing it up), I switch to Geomancer with summons. Much sturdier, but still good damage with both magic and a sword.

I'm in chapter three now with a dedicated time mage with black magic, Two Mystics (one with white magic, one with word skill), and Mustadio as chemist/sniper.

I'm really liking this weird team. I have a ton of crowd control between the time mage (don't move, stop, slow) and the two mystics (don't act, sleep, petrify). One of my mystics shoots a gun and the other has a two-handed staff, so they both get 40-60 damage from enough range that I don't worry about counterattacks.

I've got auto-potion on everyone right now, but it's getting too easy. I never have to use any heals really, maybe a moogle summon here and there. I'm working towards some other reaction abilities at the moment.

Really fun team actually. This is probably my favorite group, even though it could be waaaaaaay stronger. This game isn't very hard to begin with once you know the fights.

>> No.2573708

>>2573041
150HP heals every time you get hit for around 72-200 a hit is pretty insane. Auto-potion is really great throughout the entire game.

>> No.2573960

That horrible moment when you've been grinding Ramza, Rad, Lavian, Alicia and Boco... and the game hands you Agrias and Mustadio.

Now you have to decide between benching Rad and Boco or Lavian and Alicia.

>> No.2573974

>>2573960
Did you just dump all your standard generics at the end of chapter 1?

>> No.2574017

Got some generics out jobbin' it in some town.

Can't figure out which town they are in. Is there a quick/easy way to determine where they are so I can recall them? Or am I fucked dealing with random battle roulette until i hit every shitty blue dot?

Playing original PS1 version btw.

>> No.2574020

>>2574017
lol

just soft reset and reload until you find them.

There aren't a lot of cities with more than one green dot area between them so it doesn't take too long.

>> No.2574145

>>2574020
Ugh. I'm just trying to work deep dungeon for zodiac summon and the character you get at the end. Don't have much time when I do get to play so I want to focus it on getting to the point. 10 minute battles tend to add up :-/

>> No.2574182

>>2574145
just reload your save data until you don't get a fight when you step on the green dot.

its like a 50% chance

>> No.2574538

>>2571083
Those sound like good items.

>> No.2574738

>>2573974
Thereabouts. There's only enough slots available in the game for joinable named characters.

16 Slots:
1. Ramza
2. Rad
3. Alicia
4. Lavian
5. Boco
6. Mustadio
7. Agrias
8. Rafa
9. Malak
10. Orlandu
11. Meliadoul
12. Beowulf
13. Dias
14. Worker 8
15. Cloud
16. Byblos

Keeping your randoms in the beginning means sacrificing a spot down the road for a unique character. After even the semi-uniques like Rad, Lavian and Alicia have custom dialogue that regular randoms don't when you click on their names.

Plus, propositions only require three basic units and so those three fit perfectly on the roster.

>> No.2575126

>>2560483
>>2560485
>>2560489

>Wizard
>Weapon Guard

...but why? The highest evade on a weapon he can equip is 20%. No shields, low class evade, and most aren't going to use mantle accessories when there are superior Magic Attack ones.

>Archer
>Weapon Guard
Bows have a 0 evade, and crossbows have the second lowest evade at 5%.

>Thief
>Weapon Guard
Well, at least this class actually has a weapon worth using with the Main Gauche, but Abandon is literally better in every single way and doesn't tie you down to the low damage output of the Main Gauche.

>> No.2575151

>>2575126
Speaking of Weapon Guard spam...

The Defender (Knight Sword) has a 40% evasion chance. If a Knight has Dual Wield, equipping two of them, and a Feather Mantle (another 40%), what would the end evade be? I know that evasion stacks multiplicative and not additive.

And would that end with a better evasion than say... the same Knight using a Crystal Shield (40%) and a Feather Mantle (40%) and the reaction ability Abandon for doubling of the base before multiplying?

>> No.2575161

>>2575151

defenders have 60 evade, the knight swords are still slightly worse for evade due to adding together 3 times and not having abandon double the magic evade from the shield and mantle

>> No.2575227

>>2575161
Assuming my math is correct, with the Knight's innate 10% class evade, the dual-wield Defenders come out at 92% evasion, and the Crystal Shield + Abandon build comes out at 97% evasion.

Of course, a Knight with Escutcheon II and Abandon has 100% physical and magic evasion.

>> No.2575352

>>2574738
How many uniques do you really use though? After you've played the game a couple of times you've probably tried most of the useful ones.

I use 3 original generics, so I have one guest spot for a unique. That way I can do flavor of the week with Rafa or Meliadoul or someone and not worry about their build too much.

>> No.2575392

>>2564840
Cid is overpowered, but he is not irrelevant. Olan is both overpowered and irrelevant to the story. Marach and his sister are irrelevant, though not necessarily overpowered. Those are the ones that come to the top of my mind.

>> No.2575396

>>2575392

>Marach

who? are you playing the same game?

>> No.2575402

>>2575396
Are you being retarded on purpose or are you just dumb?

>> No.2575459

>>2575402
I think he just doesn't have enough autism to tolerate the retranslation.

>> No.2575465

>>2575402

I don't recall any character called Marach in FFT.

>> No.2575469

>>2575465
Malak.
Marach is the PSP "correct" translation because obviously, japan doesn't distinguish between the L and R sounds.

>Algus to Argath
>Malak to Marach
>Olan vs. Orran

Probably a dozen more I'm missing.

>> No.2575481

>>2575392
B-But I like Olan...

>> No.2575487

>>2575469
Algus and Malak in the original translation are much better names.

Orran from WotL sounds better than the original though.

>> No.2575492 [DELETED] 

>>2575469

I don't believe the PSP is very retro

>> No.2575551

>>2575492
Quit shitposting about it. FFT is retro, and discussion of it, regardless of platform, is fucking relevant to the board.

>> No.2575579

>>2533892

Does this shit work on the psp re-release? Im quite disappointed that I can't duplicate the excalibur for cocaine-ADD-coffee-redbull party anymore.
Also, are there any mods worth trying for the psp version?

>> No.2575589
File: 48 KB, 600x412, 20150618094711zwtNao7M9W.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2575492
>re-release of a retro game with minor changes
>hurr durr not retro

>> No.2575656

>>2575579
I know they fixed the JP trick and duping, but as far as I know, level traps and stat growth weren't changed, although some of the stat growth rates for different jobs may have changed slightly. I know they changed the JP cost of various spells and jobs.

>> No.2575707

>>2575656
I'm also disappointed they removed or atenuated a few christian references like the obvious dialogue of ramza and velius/belias. And as cheesy as it was, I really enjoyed the "magic words" before casting spells or special skills, even though most of them were absolutely non sequitur.

>> No.2575851

>>2575707
I agree, the occasional speaking of the spell was really charming.

>> No.2575972

>>2575656
>I know they changed the JP cost of various spells and jobs.
Those were actually changed in the NA release of FFT for PS1. The PSP version uses the Japanese version as a base, so the JP requirements are generally higher, among other changes to various abilities.

>> No.2576129

>>2574738
That's actually one thing I like about WotL. Being able to keep your generics, and have room for future poaching victims.

Then again, as many times as I've played FFT, I've reached the point of my current run, which is generics and monsters aside from Mustadio and likely Rafa/Malak. All the specialty Knights kinda go overboard when there are so many classes to mess with. Whoever mentioned the idea of a "beastmaster" run warmed my heart.

>> No.2576529

>>2575352
>How many uniques do you really use though?
All of them. I autistically master every job on every unique and then delevel/relevel all of them and make custom builds around their strengths.

For example:
Malak Galthana
Bravery 90 / Faith 5 (I like round numbers)
Un-Truth
Elemental
Blade Grasp
Magic Attack-Up
Teleport
Gokuu Rod + Flash Hat + Black Robe + 108 Gems

All but immune to physical and magical attacks, and with his Un-Truth being boosted by Magic Attack and Elemental Damage (same with his Geomancer spells) he wrecks every fight he's in.

There's something immensely gratifying about sending Malak into a fight solo with his base Job and winning.

>> No.2577114

It's a shame Two Swords doesn't work with spears too. Since Melidaoul can use spears and swords, she was practically made to go Divine Knight - Lancer.

Still, it does make her the prime candidate as the only character in the history of the game to benefit from Equip Change.

>> No.2577143

>>2577114
Attack up works with Jump.

Two Hands and Two Swords do not.

>> No.2577190

>>2577143
Yes, I know. The point was: Her Divine Knight base class can equip lances, and lances do 50% more damage on a Jump attack. However, her Divine Knight abilities require a sword or knight sword to activate and won't work with a lance.

If Two Swords worked with lances she could dual-wield a sword for her abilities and a lance for jumping - which would be ideal since her abilities won't target monsters or people lacking the item slot her Divine Knight abilities break (weapon break on Monks, for example).

Meliadoul was this close: || to being a great character. But as it is, she ends up being one of the bottom-tier unique NPCs.

>> No.2577290

>>2577190
This is probably why I gave her the ability to learn Zalbag's Ruin abilities and made the concession of having them cost MP.

Did you know if you use Two Swords and equip a sword in the off-hand and another weapon in the main hand, it still uses the main weapon hand's WP for calculation?

About the only use for this is making Agrias a Ninja and giving her a Flail in her main hand in chapter 2 or 3, but it's still neat

>> No.2577351

>>2576129
How many different characters can you have in WotL? Is it more than the original 16?

>> No.2577361

>>2560489
What stat affects your percent to hit with Yin-Yang spells? Is it just faith based?

>> No.2577387

>>2577361
Faith and MA

>> No.2577389

>>2577387
also zodiac compatibility

>> No.2577405

>>2577387
So a wizard geared for MA would have significantly better hit rates with Yin-Yang spells than an actual Oracle?

>> No.2577542

>>2577405
Yes. A lot of classes work out oddly like that. Take Samurai. They have great Physical Attack progression, and are obviously a fighting type... but their Draw Out uses Magic Attack. A Mage with Magic Attack-Up is really powerful with Draw Out while a Samurai is generally shit with it.

Go figure.

>> No.2577546

>>2577351
WotL is 24. They add two new unique characters, but that's still a net gain of six slots to play around with other generics or monster taming.

>> No.2577910

>>2577546
Interesting. I've used a few monsters before, mainly the winged cyclops things because petrifying people is my fetish.

That definitely changes my strategy a bit if I can get all the uniques and still have 4 or 5 generics.

>> No.2579457

I feel stupid now.
Game Over on the first random encounter of the game.

Not wanting to spend a potion for healing combined with careless attack on enemy with counter was dead Ramza.
And without their mighty leader, rest of the group was fast to follow.

>> No.2579483

>>2579457
best of luck to ya bud. gettin money is pretty effortless iirc, so don't be frugal

>> No.2580307

>>2533494
Is this game better than Final Fantasy IX?

>> No.2580423

>>2540642
Not necessarily. If someone is killed from a stab wound to the front, it means they fought until their last breath. If they died from wounds to the back, they were killed as they fleed.

>> No.2580535

>>2535884
Get off cloud s dick
Holy knight is where it s at

>> No.2582235

>>2533998
Do you also drive a dodge stratus?

>> No.2582330

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMdSu76Orxc

>> No.2582384
File: 532 KB, 800x1143, 278a8ce4fbdd33f7828a3bb33094eb67.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2533808
It's the only final fantasy with a great story, only because of the Ogre team.

>>2535990
The game runs slow enough that physical controls aren't really necessary at all.

>>2534832
>no other monster on your party and it's the second egg

>>2538285
Law sucks.

>>2567793
The thread, the game, or both?

>>2580307
Different gameplay style.So saying that one is better than the other would be like saying that apples are better than oranges.

I didn't like FF9 though. I just never liked it, even before I bought it.
I played it completely at release on my PS1 but I don't remember the majority of the second half. Now that I think about it, it must have been because of queena. Fucking awful character I hated it so much.

>>2582330
>This item isn't available in your country.

>> No.2582395

>>2582330
I'm really not sure what I'm even looking at here

>> No.2582471

>>2582395
I don't either but I think I want it. Is it a new FFT that was released yesterday?

>> No.2582479

>>2582395
>>2582471
It looks like some kind of Mana game with FFT guest characters in it, for mobile phones.

>> No.2582506

>>2582395
>>2582471
>>2582479
What I found is that it's a mana game that is only available on japan:
http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.riseofmana1
It seems to be an even where you can fight against agrias ramza and that other guy.
I've seen some post about it maybe being a pay mmorpg, but I'ven't been able to see any coments implying that after a year ago so I don't know if it's because lack of understanding the language it's on or if it's supposed to be an online game. The videos I've seen don't look like it's an mmorpg though.

If anyone can download it and get to play it before me let me know. My internet is too slow.