[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 116 KB, 640x1082, SAT_TOMB_RAIDER.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2531029 No.2531029 [Reply] [Original]

Are any of the games that were shared on the PS1 and Saturn better on the Saturn?
Like Tomb Raider, Croc, Gex, Herc's adventures, etc

I know that Tomb Raider apparently had better draw distance.

>> No.2531032

SOTN had a bit more content and better audio according to some, but it comes with slowdown and the loss of transparency effects.

>> No.2531053

imo Resident Evil 1's Saturn version is the best.
It has an exclusive Battle Mode (the first the series ever got) that's really fun to play. Also the 2 exclusive costumes are the best looking of any versions. Hunters got a new skin in the underground of the mansion, as well as some other minor details changed it has a zombie Wesker in the battle mode.

the 3D models look more blocky but the 2D backgrounds look better than on PS1.

>> No.2531058

Also Rayman.

Also I believe D was uncensored on Saturn in the west, but censored on PS1 but I could be remembering that wrong.

And yeah, SOTN. I can't go back to the PS1 version after trying the Saturn verison, all its awesome new content and its double-tap running.

>> No.2531075

>>2531053
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-UUAa5eGA
I don't see any difference in the background quality

>> No.2531082

Most 2D Saturn games were superior

>> No.2531108

>>2531029
Darius Gaiden, every Capcom fighting game. Thunder Force V had missing backgrounds and lower quality audio on the Playstation, but in place it had way more content, and the polygonal graphics looked better.

Soukyugurentai was a similar port too, and they put a 4th ship in the Playstation port that broke the game.

>> No.2531120

>>2531075
>Video comparison on YouTube
>I don't see any difference

Oh. My. Cod.

>> No.2531170

>>2531058
>Also Rayman.
Rayman is a bit weird. Both the PS1 and Saturn versions have certain graphics and sounds unique to each version. I think it would have to be one of the most subjective comparisons ever.

Honestly, I'd put Soviet Strike out there for Saturn. It's one of the few PS1 ports where the graphics or FMV (maybe a tiny bit more pixelation, but literally only under a microscope) didn't suffer at all, and it has a bit of extra content owing to a later release date.

Earthworm Jim 2 on PS1 was a pretty shoddy port, so that's a win to Saturn.

Also Powerslave/Exumed seems to have better level design on Saturn.

>> No.2531189

>>2531170
>Also Powerslave/Exumed seems to have better level design on Saturn.

I'm pretty sure only a couple of levels are exclusive to either version. Only the PC version is an entirely different game

>> No.2533305

really bummed out to discover you can't do lara's handstand on the saturn :(

>> No.2533309

Pretty much any 2D game. Especially Capcom fighters.