[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.42 MB, 3240x2400, sega_cd_model1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2527824 No.2527824 [Reply] [Original]

What sort of speakers should I buy to get the same godlike soundmix I get from headphones on my Model 1 Sega Genesis.

I just spent like half an hour messing around with the sound test in Mega Turrican. Sounds so good.

>> No.2527841

>>2527824
I've never seen a model1 sega CD apparently. That shit looks siiiiiiiiick

ANYWAY, get studio monitors if you want the best sound quality I guess.

>> No.2527862

I have the volume set to 5 on mine and just use powered PC speakers. You can plug it directly into the stereo input on a TV, but you have to turn the volume up really loud.

>> No.2527867

>>2527862
I'm going to go the external speakers route. I'm pleased with my regular, late model tube TV, but it doesn't have good speakers. I have an old PC 5.1 logitech sound system with a sub that I've been using, but the mix is inferior to the headphones on that. Also, its not really designed for a console, seeing as how it is supposed to plug into a soundcard, what with its 3 plugs and all.

>>2527841
They are sick. Like the 32X, I don't have one of those, unfortunately. I have a CDX and a Model 2, but the Model 1 is where its at.

>> No.2527876

>>2527867
Find a nice headunit, bro. It sounds like the headunit is the problem, not necessarily the speakers.

I used to have the model 2 (no 32x or CD unfortunately) and my little bro had the model 1 and I remember being jeleous because I didn't have a headphone port and always fealt my sound quality was infurior despite having a stereo

>> No.2527893

>>2527876
The difference is quite striking. I got into Genesis a few years back, having not played anything for the console since the 90s, and got the Model 2. But I picked up a Model 1 for super cheap the other week, and now there's no using the other models.

>> No.2527916

>>2527893
>There's no using other models

I've actually heard this quite a bit. Didn't the model 1 have a superior sound delivery method to the model 2 and 3?

>> No.2527936

>>2527916
Someone who's more versed in Sega tech than me could fill you in, but I believe that it actually has a different model soundchip. They are similar, but not the same. The later models have a cheaper one that sounds ok with big titles like Sonic. But put on something more obscure and the sound inaccuracies are glaring. Some of my favorite games, like Hellfire and Outrun 2019 have PAL-speed music and missing sound layers, respectively, when played on anything but the original hi-def model.

>> No.2528016

I have a model 1 Sega CD and a JVC X'Eye. Guess which one works and which one doesn't.

Be glad you have a CDX