[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 21 KB, 480x360, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2510179 No.2510179 [Reply] [Original]

CARRIER HAS ARRIVED

>> No.2510316

>Scouuuuuurge

>> No.2510328

So let's name off all of the somewhat popular "modern" games that had origins in SC/BW custom maps

Mobas - Aeon of Strife
Tower defense games

>> No.2511026

Anyone else ever get the glitch where carriers would no longer send out ships to attack? It happened when you had a TON of carriers.

>> No.2512836

>>2511026
Did SC not have some global unit/building limit, so if there was too many present on the map none new could be built/generated?

>> No.2512850
File: 1 KB, 60x56, batllecruiser.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2512836
Generally your supply was limited to 200.

>>2510179
Oh yeah, and
BATTLECRUISER OPERATIONAL

>> No.2512853

MY WIFE FOR HIRE

>> No.2512859

Anyone else terrible-at-RTS-but-had-to-play-SC-at-LAN-parties-to-be-fair ITT?

>> No.2512920

>>2512850
>Generally your supply was limited to 200.
Googling told me there was a 1650 or 1700 unit max, so 8 players and lots of carriers (interceptors cost no supply, but are counted as unit probably) could be the case. And then there's zerg where each hatchery makes additional units for no supply cost (larva).

>> No.2512949

>>2512920
Weel, supply != units on field. Different units cost different supply. Hatches only produce up to 3 larva at a time, and while interceptors cost no supply, carriers do. There probably is a upper limit on the number of actual units on the field, but I've never reached it.

>> No.2512950

>>2512920
>>2512850
>>2512836
I'd click to attack a building or something and they'd hover around the building but never attack.

>> No.2513648

>>2511026
>>2512836
There's a limit to the number of sprites that can be on the map at once. I played a lot of 3v3 and 4v4 money map games as a kid and 4v4s especially were a contest to see who can get the units out first before the limit is reached.

Once it is reached, Carriers won't be able to spit out interceptors, Hatcheries won't produce more larva, and some units like Valkyries wouldn't be able to attack at all until the sprite count goes down again. Melee units and some ranged units like (if I remember correctly) Marines with no visible projectiles were still fine.

>> No.2513721

>>2512859
Yo.

Cheated through the main storyline since I can't get past even the Terran campaign. I was, predictably, the first one to go down in LAN parties and was generally considered to be the first target for everyone else and as such, tended to be the kingmaker in that regard.

>> No.2513734 [DELETED] 

Im from reddit. Where am I?

>> No.2514813

>>2510179
>Terran vs Protoss
>I have many Ghosts and 3 loaded Silos, the Protoss still doesnt know
>Scan his base, he's getting a fleet of carriers
>Decide to spam turrets and goliats
>Send a few Goliats to lure his carrier fleet, luring him to my turret camp
>He hits the bait
>He starts to feast on my turrets
>Drop 2 cloaked Ghosts on his base, 1 nuking directly on his nexus and the other one on his main tech/pylons, I EMP the nexus just to ensure its destruction
>The third nuke goes directly under the attacking carrier fleet
>The Protoss player forgets about his attack and focuses on nuking ghosts on his base
>Nuke on nexus lands, the other Ghost gets killed
>'lol nice try'
>He sees the nuke falling on his Carrier fleet
>On the very last moment, the tries to pull his carriers away from the Nuke
>14 Carriers gone in 1 second
'gg'
>'Fuck you'
>Player Protoss has left the game
>Congratulations! You win!

I came all over my keyboard
I also got to admit, that I barely could believe I managed to pull off that one

>> No.2515067

>>2514813
You never forget those kinds of victories.

Best memory for me was winning a 2v3 on The Hunters with my best bro. Our other teammate dropped as soon as the match started, but we pulled it by sheer coordination.

>> No.2515143

>>2513648
>Valkyries wouldn't be able to attack at all

This happened all the time to me as a kid and I had no idea why. It was always on 8 player maps and I was always wondering what the hell was going on.

>> No.2516502

>>2515067
Care to explain the game?

>>2515143
It's a shame, as a Terran player, I really like Valkiries, capable of mow down a mutalisk rush, and in enough quantity, to mow down scourges and overlords with ease, and put a fight against devourers.

It's only downside is its expensive price, and that fucking annoying bug that doesnt let the valks do anything

>> No.2519060

Bump

>> No.2519075

>>2514813
I like hearing these stories. I don't have any of my own, because I sucked at Starcraft so I just played UMS games.

>> No.2519114

>YOU STINK AS I DO.

>> No.2520936

>>2510179
how the fuck do i get good at this game?

i couldnt beat the second campagin

>> No.2522132

>>2520936
The second campaign is Zerg, right? Start every mission by producing drones until you've got between 1 to 1,5 drones for each mineral patch and enough on gas that the Extractor is never idle. When you can afford it, build extra Hatcheries (in your base if necessary) so that you have enough larva for unit production to prevent your money from piling up. Sunken colonies are very cost-effective for early defense, so make one or two if necessary. Prioritize getting your economy going before you start building too many units.

Then, early in the campaign, mass Hydralisks and spend your excess minerals on Zerglings when you run out of gas. Start upgrading your units as soon as possible, and avoid attacking heavily defended bases until your units are fully upgraded and you've massed up an overwhelming force (generally at least a few full control groups). Later switch to massing Mutalisks and Guardians while still spending your extra minerals on Zerglings.

When it's time to attack, send your entire blob of units on attack-move all at once and try to keep your army together. Focus on keeping your expensive units alive; that is, anything that costs a lot of gas. If parts of your army start chasing stray units, select them and bring them to the rest of your force. Always be wary of anything that does splash damage like Siege Tanks, or especially Reavers and High Templars; focus fire these if possible. Upgraded Zerg units can otherwise destroy most other basic units just by a-moving.

>> No.2522654

>>2512853
>MY WIFE'S ON FIRE

>> No.2523503

>>2522654
kek

>> No.2524712

>>2522132
>Later switch to massing Mutalisks and Guardians while still spending your extra minerals on Zerglings.

Except don't actually do that.
You can still mass those units and win, but honestly, there's no point. Guardians have to microed all the time and Mutalisks get destroyed in Brood War by Valkyries and Corsairs, while for Devourers you will have gas problems. Guardians can easily get owned if you don't leave them on Hold Position, they can get decimated by a Psionic Storm, Irradiate - which Terrans in late game Brood War really love - really fucks you over.

Instead, the best way to beat Zerg campaign in either game is to simply mass Hydralisks. They're your best unit, you can just spam them instead of anything. Add some Ultralisks and fully upgraded Zerglings into the mix; an Overlord with 6 zerglings and a defiler can easily destroy a base.

>> No.2524747

As a kid, I tried my fucking hardest to beat the expansion legit, I really did but after weeks of after school failures I said POWER OVERWHELMING

>> No.2524858

>>2524712
Most of what you just said is pretty terrible advice in this context, but yes it's possible to beat both Zerg campaigns making nothing but Hydralisks. It's also possible to beat the Terran campaigns making nothing but Marines. I still wouldn't recommend it for someone who's clearly struggling to get through the first campaign.

Going air is the most casual-friendly strategy, since Guardians not only destroy pretty much everything on the ground but also ignore pathing issues. All you need to keep an eye on is that no individual Guardians stray off from the flock and that you always have a few anti-air units nearby. They certainly don't require MORE micro than Hydralisks, and Hydras are just as vulnerable to psi storm, in addition to all other forms of splash damage in the (vanilla) game.

>> No.2524896

>>2524747
I got all the way to the final Zerg mission legit, then it felt like I hit a wall. After hours of trying, that's where my POWER OVERWHELMING SHOW ME THE MONEY OPERATION CWAL etc. kicked in because I needed to see the ending.

Even when I got back to it later I still couldn't do it, so I watched a youtube video of someone else beating it and copied their style. It was weird because my friend said he didn't have any difficulty with that mission, but that he could never do the mission with the time limit where you can unlock the secret level, and I got that one on my first try.

>> No.2524965

>>2514813
I dont have any good SC stories cause i suck dick at it.
I had few wins and as a kid everyone was way above my level and at that time I was just figuring out that building multiple barracks/factories etc was a good idea

But once playing terran I was getting my ass handed to me, I turtled nicely but dude was getting me good.

I know im gonna die so i send out my command center to fly to the corner.
He kills my original base and I start working on my expo, manage to fly 4 barracks next to his base and just marine spam him while he searched for me.

Eventually he rage quitted.

>> No.2525028

>>2524858
>Most of what you just said is pretty terrible advice in this context, but yes it's possible to beat both Zerg campaigns making nothing but Hydralisks. It's also possible to beat the Terran campaigns making nothing but Marines.

These are not comparable at all. Hydralisks are extremely self-reliant units with decent HP and good range, and if you have resources secured, it's easier to make a Hydra force than a Marine force.

What I did was basically making a ton of Hatcheries and Drones and mineral gathering. Take every resource node on the map and keep rotating between hatcheries. Amass a Hydralisk force, upgrade it, and then send it forward or drop with Overlords. Requires no micromanagement; just keep sending them into the front and replenishing their numbers. It reinforces good habits, like constantly making workers and production facilities.

When I tried to go with the "casual", air force approach, I had a terrible time in both campaigns. Particularly in Brood War, the usage of air units seemed to be ridiculously gas heavy and inefficient. It was difficult to keep my Guardians in check, they sometimes would engage a fight with an opponent in which they were supposed to be out of their range, but still meander about and take free potshots which would amount to a costly loss. Gas is a bigger problem than minerals on most campaign maps.

The only time in which I would vouche for the air approach is in Omega, because Mengsk a k a the Red Terran has only a ground force with a few Wraiths and initially unresearched cloak. You can easily overrun him with Muta/Guardian, but then against DeGaulle's 6 Starports, you want Hydras - few Battlecruisers can't deal with 60 Hydras, and his Valkyries are rendered irrelevant. When you've dealt with both Terrans, the map is yours and remaining Protoss can't win.

tl;dr: ground>air for Zerg, Hydras not a gimmick but best option.

>> No.2525064

>>2524858
>>2525028
Also - I've been where this poster was. I couldn't beat Chapter 2's final missions or the Omega mission without walkthroughs, and when I did, it was on Normal speed, and for To Slay The Beast, I had to go with the cheese covert ops option. I sucked at Zerg. I tried to amass air like I would in ultimate Terran and Protoss missions. It's not as easy with Zerg.

Just think about missions like To Slay The Beast, where you start off in a single corner of the map and there's two bases to the north and east with Goliaths, Valkyries and a couple Siege Tanks and infantry at most. There's a resource node immediately to your west, but that's it.

Seizing the island with Guardians is inefficient. You still need anti-air - and that same anti-air, probably Mutalisks (which require lots of gas for being so subpar in their purpose against Valkyries and such) will often double as preventive measure against Goliaths (Some will manage to get through to your Guardians and they will go for them because AI almost always attacks this which has the highest attack stat). Valkyries still wipe the floor with Mutalisks, and you don't have enough gas initially to go with both Guardians and Devourers. By the time you get a decent, reliable Muta/Guard force, you can easily get 48-60 Hydras. If you've gone for the Hydras, you'll probably have gone for their upgrades. Hydras can rotate around the island much easier, and they will keep away dropships and Valkyries hunting your Overlords. They're much less costly if a Science Vessel Irradiates them - and computer loves that shit. You can make them into Lurkers, too, to keep your options open and interesting.

Also, Zerg effectively have three resources - larvae is the third. This isn't as pronounced as in multiplayer, but nevertheless, minerals are always more abundant than gas, and it's minerals that buy you more larvae. But larvae are wasted when you're as gas-gated as you're in the early game when trying to make a fleet.

>> No.2525632

Rushing Zerg > Defenseless Terran
Early Terran > Rushing/Early Zerg (Marines and Medics destroy pretty much everything)
Middle Zerg > Early Terran (Lurkers, nothing else)
Middle Terran > Middle Zerg (Siege tanks With Goliats with Marine/medic support)
Late Zerg > Middle Terran (Guardians and Devourers)
Late Zerg > Late Terran (Battlecruisers, Tanks and Goliats with Marines Medics and Firebats vs Swarming/Plaguing Defilers, Mass Ultralisk, Mass Hydralisk, Guardians and Devourers)

The only way to defeat a zerg is to survive the initial onslaught and then to get a rid of them before they get too strong.

>> No.2525858

>>2525028
>These are not comparable at all

You should try the Marine-only approach, it's actually pretty fun. It plays almost exactly the same as massing Hydralisks; even though Hydras have 80 HP, you can have more than twice the number of Marines for the same price (as you're not limited by gas intake at all), and with stim and their superior damage type they're even more devastating.

It's no big deal to build a large number of Barracks when you're committing to Barracks units only. When I first tried it I thought the final BW Terran mission would give me a hard time but it turns out to be possible to produce such volumes of Marines that you can march right past even invincible Sunkens without dropships. Their only vulnerability is the same that of Hydras; Reavers and Siege Tanks in hard to reach positions.

Going straight for Muta+Guardian isn't a great idea in some missions, but Guardians are still a fantastic unit. Even a single control group of 12 is extremely devastating.

It doesn't make sense to me to say that Guardians are difficult to control while also saying that dropping Hydralisks from Overlords require "no micromanagement"; dropping units efficiently requires very precise control, and even then you're likely to lose a lot of units every time. Efficient usage of Guardians on the other hand simply means keeping them alive and at a far enough distance that they don't get overwhelmed. The easiest way to use them is having only 12 of them so you can quickly access them all and control them all at once, and hovering them over a group of Hydralisks dedicated to killing any air units that get too close. In Omega, I usually go for the white Terran first, and there especially I find a handful of Guardians very helpful for pulling enemy units out of the base to be killed by my Hydras so I don't have to run into a line of Siege Tanks supported by loads of Battlecruisers and other units.

>> No.2525948

>>2525064
In To Slay The Beast my strategy was always to build up a small army of Hydras and Speedlings and take over the base north of where you begin. The tiny expansion to your west even has a geyser in it, so you can get up to three gases real fast. With that, you can take the fourth gas on the continent at your leisure, and from there you have all the time in the world to build whatever you want.

You can go full Mutalisk + Devourer at that point as Guardians aren't even particularly useful in that mission, and Devourers absolutely annihilate all Terran air. Valkyries barely scratch their high armor, and Devourer spit both cripples enemy damage output and makes your Mutalisks do more damage to the air units affected by reducing their armor. As long as you don't send your Mutalisks to hit the enemy air units first like a fool there should be no trouble, and fall back when they use Dark Swarm at the last base to the east.

Going for ground units works too, but dropping huge quantities of them or building proxy Nydus canals on different islands just requires more work. You also run the risk of losing your entire army since it's much harder to retreat with ground units from an island if the battle goes awry.

About Irradiate: It really is a nuisance at best, as is Mind Control and Spawn Broodlings. If your attack is halted by Irradiate, it's a major indicator that you're not building enough units, or that you're attacking too hastily and should build up more. You could also just try sniping the Vessels with Scourge if they're giving you trouble.

>> No.2526065

>>2525858
>You should try the Marine-only approach, it's actually pretty fun. It plays almost exactly the same as massing Hydralisks; even though Hydras have 80 HP, you can have more than twice the number of Marines for the same price (as you're not limited by gas intake at all), and with stim and their superior damage type they're even more devastating.

I did for both Terran campaigns. Marines are still small units, Barracks take way more space than Hatcheries in comparison. Hydras are Medium units, which plays to their advantage in survivability, both because they take less splash damage overall, and because 75% explo dmg. Also, I'd count Marines having to be Stimmed to be much more microintensive than just sending your typical Hydra force forth.

>dropping units efficiently requires very precise control, and even then you're likely to lose a lot of units every time

If you have enough of the map taken, you can easily just amass units to 200/200 and still have money for everything, including tons of bonus Overlords that you can use as decoys. All you need to do upon packing up your army into them is to unload them in the middle of the base. Overlords can also drop Ultralisks which the AI tends to always go after first, and they make perfect cover for Hydras and Cracklings.

In Omega, I usually go for the white Terran first, and there especially I find a handful of Guardians very helpful for pulling enemy units out of the base to be killed by my Hydras so I don't have to run into a line of Siege Tanks supported by loads of Battlecruisers and other units.

The one time I went white Terran first, I immediately thought there's no reason to go after those 6 Starports with a fleet, and for tankbusting purposes, Defilers and Ultralisks work very handsomely, while still costing less gas than even a small Guardian fleet. I will grant you, however, that to bust some of the harder Siege Tank positions, Hydras need micro or spells.

>> No.2526073

>>2525948
>In To Slay The Beast my strategy was always to build up a small army of Hydras and Speedlings and take over the base north of where you begin.

Going that route immediately assumes you're going to go with some ground forces upgrades. I do that too - so why not go all the way? The gas will have to go for Overlord upgrades in a ground approach, and that also means it's easier to quickly take the taken resource nodes.

>You can go full Mutalisk + Devourer at that point as Guardians aren't even particularly useful in that mission, and Devourers absolutely annihilate all Terran air. Valkyries barely scratch their high armor, and Devourer spit both cripples enemy damage output and makes your Mutalisks do more damage to the air units affected by reducing their armor. As long as you don't send your Mutalisks to hit the enemy air units first like a fool there should be no trouble, and fall back when they use Dark Swarm at the last base to the east.

I honestly never thought of that. I will try that this instant, upon finishing this post! I am, however, thinking of improving that strategy a bit by using a Spore Colony battery for luring Valkyries to my main base; like I said, I find gas, not minerals, to be a bigger issue.

>About Irradiate

Irradiate is slightly different from Mind Control and Spawn Broodlings; I don't really care for the AI broodlinging my units; my best ground unit will be the Ultralisk (which are cheap compared to many other high tier units); if a Hydra gets eaten, I don't care one iota, and they never seem to target Defilers. Mind Control is cast on only a single unit by a relatively non-mobile spellcaster. Irradiate is cast by a flying ball of annoyance, is AoE, and air units clump up often, which means I can waste a ton of time (and my units HP) picking up the stray Irradiate and sending him away.

>> No.2526081

>>2525948
>You also run the risk of losing your entire army since it's much harder to retreat with ground units from an island if the battle goes awry.

The reason why I don't find that a problem is simply because in a ground-based approach I will go with a massive amount of Hatcheries and the time it takes me to go from 80/200 to 200/200 is negligible, covering me in situations for even if I really do royally screw up and manage to lose all my transports in transit.

A good drop, however, has its many uses; it reinforces the island you drop onto immediately, and it's much easier to fend off any backup coming over. As said before, upgraded Ovies will be crucial in sending the Drones over earlier.

Even though my approach is different I like your input. I would love to play this with you: http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-coop-campaign Last time I played this with a friend, we had problems with missions like The Big Push in the original Terran campaign, it's so advanced. The Insane version has missions like the Ion Cannon one start you off with like 3 nukes dropped on your main base.

Cheers, I'm off To Slay The Beast.

>> No.2526748

>>2526081
>http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-coop-campaign

Sure, we could give that a shot. I've downloaded the map packs but I haven't played BW online in years, do we just get on Battle.net?

>> No.2526803

>>2526748
Yeah, that seems like the best option, contemporaries like GameRanger would also work ofc, but battle.net is still okay.

What realm, where, how, when?

>> No.2526819

>>2526803
Battle.net Europe would probably work best for me. I can play right now, or later at some point during the weekend.

By the way, I can't quite tell what timezone you're in from your posts but it's currently 21:43 here.

>> No.2526827

>>2526819
20:48 here, so Europe will be just grand. Will be there in about 15 minutes.

>> No.2526848

>>2526827
I'm in Battle.net now, my name is Asdqweasd.

>> No.2526852

>>2512950
dragoons also suffer this f

>> No.2526928

Am I alone in absolutely loving the base-less missions where you control a few dudes in an indoor installation?

>> No.2527008
File: 221 KB, 513x399, 1432914918403.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2514813

>in a lan

>everyone has played starcraft for months, and knows how to play MP

>I've only played the campaign

>with cheats

>I have no idea what I'm doing, but carriers are fun right?

>So I just stay in my bae and build carriers

>I fill up my pop cap with carriers

>Everyone else is fighting each other, no one really paying attention to me

>I go to some guy's base with my carriers and wipe it out

>slowly my horde of carriers descend onto base after base, wiping out hordes of goliaths, ghosts, and dragoons

>my next game I am raped by zerglings

Sometimes, gitting gud requires no one viewing you as a threat and being able to do something so stupid no one can counter it.

>> No.2527328
File: 311 KB, 640x480, This is okay..png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2527335
File: 193 KB, 640x480, Just fine really..png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2527328
In this co-op campaign, the "kill everything before the countdown goes to 0" approach just doesn't work against 5/3 Ultralisks.

>> No.2527345

>>2527328
>>2527335
That was pretty brutal. I figured it would get tough near the end but I didn't expect my base to vanish that fast.

I wonder if it would've been possible to attack earlier and at least thin out the number of Ultralisks a bit before they all swarm in.

>> No.2527354

>>2526928
These are literally the only maps I can pass without cheating.

>> No.2527363

>>2527345
Who knows?
If you want a solo challenge, there was a Teamliquid thread on these mods and there's a version, to my recollection, which retains the features of the campaign but brings AI to Insane values. That includes stuff like the final Terran mission in original campaign starting you off with 3 nukes inside your base.

Had good fun, anon, have a good night!

>> No.2527372

>>2526928
Those are always fun for me.

>> No.2527403

>Read the waiting lunch orders

>> No.2527702

>>2527008
>Sometimes, gitting gud requires no one viewing you as a threat and being able to do something so stupid no one can counter it.
>do something so stupid no one can counter it.

Simply brilliant
You got me laughing for a minute
Cheers.

>> No.2528209

>>2512949
Custom games would hit the limit pretty often... Stuff like EVOLVES, Madness maps, etc. You'd get a 'unit unplaceable! asdflasfjasdf' error message.

Fuck all, I wish SC2 never existed so I could keep enjoying BW's custom maps forever

>> No.2530997

>Page 11

I didn't know we had that many pages.

>> No.2531164

Can people really not beat this game?
I beat it with every race, expansion included when I was like 12.

>> No.2531248

>>2531164
Casuals.

>> No.2531321
File: 127 KB, 596x596, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2531164
I'm sorry I couldn't beat an RTS when I was 8 years old.

>> No.2531356

>>2531248
Filthy casuals >>2531321

>> No.2531378
File: 545 B, 240x240, 1395892392783.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2514813
>He sees the nuke falling on his Carrier fleet
>On the very last moment, the tries to pull his carriers away from the Nuke
>14 Carriers gone in 1 second
'gg'
>'Fuck you'
>Player Protoss has left the game
>Congratulations! You win!
>I came all over my keyboard

Fucking delicious.

I wish I wasn't so rubbish at strategery games, I love shit like Starcraft, Advance Wars, etc, but I'm just so awful at playing them. As a kid, I would cheat at Starcraft because I just wasn't good enough to play it without, just couldn't do it. And I still can only get so far in Advance Wars (where you can't cheat).

>> No.2532145

>>2531378
If it comforts you, even me needed to use some cheats (Only 'show me the money') and even struggled to win, for example, the mission you must move Duran to the beacons on Shakuras, and when you got to kill the overmind with Dark Templars.

Most of us as kid had a bad start, including me.
Also, if you want to be good, just keep practising.
But keep on mind, that there are certain kind of players (*cough* *cough* Koreans *cough*) that 'born' with the special talent of being 'Gosu' on Starcraft.

Me and the rest of my buddies, which are westerns, tend to be good and decent in the game, but when Koreans join the game, gg no re.
Also, pick your favorite race and units, and train the shit out of them, know that unit strategy and your race general tactics. Thats how I become the 'Ghostmaster' and overall decent with the Terrans.

For example:
>'omfg the Terran Ghost is so cool! He can cloak! He can nuke! He can lockdown! He's really cool!' (now that I'm older, now I realize that he's cool, and somewhat edgy)
>Start playing maps with comps, turtle and nuke the comps one by one, while having a massive defense
>When bored, make maps which lets you test your favorite unit against other kind of units
>Ghost > Terran Infantry, Zerglings, Zealots, High Templars, Dark Templars, Archons, Dark Archons and Mutalisks (Including workers)
>Ghost < Siege Tank, Goliath, Ultralisk, Guard, Lurker, Dragoon, Reaver, Carrier, Battlecruiser
>'Oh snap I cant kill them with Ghost, I'm gonna test other units'
And then, slowly, one by one I discovered how each unit in SC worked, what that unit counters and by what units it gets countered
It took me a few years, tho. Even when I knew how counter stuff, I joined Battle.net and still got my ass handled.
Everything is a matter of practising, and free time.

Zergs pretty much owns me tho.

>> No.2532420

>>2532145

>Zergs pretty much owns me tho.

Looking at your playstyles I'd go Marines & Medics into Cloaked Ghosts + Medics Optical Flaring the Overlords.

Also Terran is the hardest race to play anyway.

>> No.2532940
File: 228 KB, 500x640, advance-wars-artillery-volley.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2532145
I just don't think I'm cut out for strategy games, I'm not good enough at adapting to some things.

It's a shame because Starcraft was such an important part of my childhood, I remember every part so fondly, particularly the exceptional music and sound design (which was typical for Blizzard at the time). That game is ingrained in my mind forever.

And again with Advance Wars, I can beat the AI pretty well for about a few missions (particularly with long range units like my precious Artillery and Missile launchers), eventually I get to a point where I can sometimes beat it through attrition, but it eventually gets too hard for me too fast.

I'm much, much better at FPS games, like Doom, Duke3D, Wolfenstein, Goldeneye, games where I typically only have to focus on me and the combat which >I< am doing, rather than having to multi-task and keep track of various different units and have to go up against an enemy that can crunch numbers and interpret data in the blink of an eye and manage every single one of his units at the same time.

Man, I'm such a Strategy Casual. Kind of wish old games like that would have difficulty settings (I never understood why some people are upset at the notion of different difficulty settings). It would be great if there was a Babby's Day Out mode for Starcraft where I can take things easy and do it at my pace, instead of cheating and robbing myself of the fun (I mean, it's still fun to play with cheats, but I feel Starcraft would be so much MORE fun if I could play it for real).

>> No.2533916

>>2532420
>I'd go Marines & Medics into Cloaked Ghosts + Medics Optical Flaring the Overlords.
That tactic is really effective against anything that doesnt hatched from hive-techs, providing you have Scans and Siege Tanks for massive lurker defense.

Cloaked Ghosts and Flares its a really good idea, tho, but it still the overall strategy is weak against anything related to hive techs (Ultralisks, Guards, Swarm and Plague)

Like I said before, Late Zerg > Late Terran, must kill the Zerg before it can reach its full potential.
Although, Terran Infantry can pretty much munch all basic Zerg ground, Hydralisk and Zerglings; and with Cloaked Ghosts countering any chance of mutalisk harass.

And I agree, Terran is hard as fuck.

>>2532940
You got a natural talent for FPS games, son.
That is the reason of why it's so hard for you to play RTS, because you're mentally prepared for a 'personal', first person, face-to-face fight.
But when it comes to managament of an army, micro and macromanagament, and overall strategy, you start to find difficulties, because you're outside your 'comfort zone'.

I tend to be good in RTS, I strategize a lot, but most of the times my gameplay in FPS is lacking, for example; I noticed how good are the 'Sniper' players in some FPS games that will headshot you in a matter of half second, great reflexes.
That's (one) of the things I lack, reflexes; do not confuses 'reflexes' with 'answering time'.
It's not the same Matrixing a Battle-cruiser when a bunch of scourges are about to '>rape' it, than dodging bullets, grenades, headshoting players, etc.

Ya dig, m8?

>> No.2534140

I just started playing again after seeing this thread.

I forgot how fucking awesome Jim Raynor was, why the fuck is he a piece of boring shit in SC2? How the fuck did they fuck him up. The SC2 story sucks as well.

>> No.2535842

>>2534140
New author.
A fucking terrible one too.

I think he said "When it comes down to it, Starcraft is a love story between a boy and a girl" and I can't fucking hold back my rage when hearing that.

>> No.2536835

>>2535842
>"When it comes down to it, Starcraft is a love story between a boy and a girl"
Source of that

>> No.2536856

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbw_1xKRjs&

I also found a writeup by someone picking apart the plot:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/374721415

>Raynor tells Mat that Kerrigan murdered 8 billion people. By redeeming her it also makes Raynor look terrible. We have all heard of people that fall in love with sociopaths (Eva Braun, Stalin's wives, etc.), but at some point there must be a number of murders where even these people would say, "Okay, I love you, but, wow, you've just killed too many people and you must be punished!" Unless, of course, they are sociopaths themselves, and simply don't care about other people being murdered. And that is really where Jim Raynor is at this moment. He's in love with Kerrigan who has killed over 8 billion people... 8 BILLION PEOPLE. Blizzard wants us to believe that his love for her is greater than his disdain that she killed 8 billion people. So what number would Jim balk at? I mean now that we are into the billions, when is enough enough for him? Because, apparently the 8 BILLION mark just isn't enough people for him to stop feeling sorry for her, or wish her punished, or treat her with any kind of disdain.

>By redeeming Kerrigan, and making Raynor the champion of that cause, it weakens Raynor as a moral compass of the series. He was, in SC/BW, the kind of every man. Jim was just a guy doing his best, calling it like he saw it and trying to do what was right in a screwed up universe, sometimes he was right, sometimes he was wrong, but he always tried.

>Then 4 years later, apparently, that leads him to conclude that the murderer of 8 billion people should be treated with more tenderness and love than he treats his own crew.It reduces him from an interesting moral character to a sociopath in his own right, for only someone truly unfeeling and non-human could forgive the murderer of about the population of Earth. In my eyes, her redemption not only destroys the Queen of Blades character, it destroys Raynor as well.

>> No.2537172

>>2536856
That greentext is missing the point. In SC2 they made it so that Kerrigan herself isn't actually to blame; when she killed all those people she was part of the "corrupted" Zerg and acting under Amon's influence, which came to an end when they purified her with the Xel'Naga macguffin at the end of WoL. Really, it was Amon all along who should be punished, and Mengsk, for subjecting Kerrigan to evil corrupted Zerg influence.

Still a very disappointing development that completely shits on SC1 and BW.

>> No.2538278

bump

>> No.2538280

>>2537172
Sounds like the writers caved into feminism or Kerrigan became someone's waifu so her evilness had to be written out.

>> No.2538354

>>2538280
Maybe it's just a shitty writer faced with trying to continue a complex story, and then dumbing it down considerably so that he can write for it?

>> No.2538792

>>2538280
SC2 introduces Nova as a new female villain anyway, so it's probably the latter. Also this: >>2538354

To be clear, we're talking about Chris Metzen here, the man primarily in charge of all Blizzard lore, including Diablo and Warcraft. He's also behind the quote in >>2535842

Though I wouldn't call him a new author since he did write scripts for SC1 and WC2 as well, he just seems to have lost his edge over the years.

>>2536835
https://youtu.be/UqJ2wfT4E9o?t=3m4s
Skip to 3:04 if the video didn't start at the right time.

>> No.2538798
File: 875 KB, 178x195, shatner_what_the_fuck.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2538792
Wait what? This guy wrote all of the old Diablo and Starcraft shit, and now he writes THIS schlock for the sequels?

Jesus fuck, what happened, did he suffer a brain aneurysm?

>> No.2538827

>>2538798
It's hard to say how the writing responsibilites were shared exactly since there were other writers as well, but he was certainly present for all those. He drew some pretty cool art for the old manuals too.

My guess is that it's a combination of attachment to old characters and thus refusal to let them kill one another off (even fucking Stukov makes a comeback in HotS), and an attempt to appeal to a broader audience by making Kerrigan more "relatable" through a redemption arc.

>> No.2538834

>>2522654
lost my shit

>> No.2538941

>>2538827
Stukov?
Alexei Stukov? But he's dead, I saw him die, I saw with my own eyes how Samir Duran shot him!

What the fuuuck!
Might as well bring back Edmund Duke and Gerard DuGalle as well. Shit, Fenix and Tassadar too, death doesn't carry weight or matter evidently.

For fucks sake... really? His death was such a perfect tragedy and the way it wrought DuGalle with guilt was perfect.

>> No.2538976

>>2538941
>Fenix
well, it did happen in SC1...
>Tassadar
anon, I don't know what to tell you here...

Also, technically, Stukov's resurrection has been canon since way before SC2; he reappears infested in a N64-exclusive bonus campaign.

Granted, I don't really get how was it possible, since Stukov died and the Psi Disrupter remained free of Zerg influence, so now apparently Zergification can ressurect people. How exactly would the Zerg know who Stukov was (especially in their fucked up, feral state, with Kerrigan not being the perpetrator of this infestation) and why would they consider incubating him is another matter altogether.

>> No.2538983
File: 172 KB, 1024x768, AT6Xhwl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2538941
Yup, Stukov comes back as the leader of an infested Terran force. He helps Kerrigan assault Duran/Narud's fortification and kill him, thus avenging his own tragic "death" in BW. It's like poetry.

>> No.2538986
File: 23 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

Direct my wrath.

Such an awesome voice.

>> No.2538989
File: 46 KB, 1200x798, we need a Dark Templar over here.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2538976
Another piece of bullshit in SC2 is, IMHO, the fact that the Zerg Cerebrate from Brood War, who carried Kerrigan through the whole campaign, was eliminated by her, along with every other Cerebrate, for Kerrigan to consolidate all power in her hand... and then she proceeds to make new generals, the Broodmothers. What for? And how exactly is some random freshman going to surpass the guy who was victorious in the motherfucking Omega?

>> No.2538992

>>2538989
>
This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other games on platforms launched in 1999 or earlier.

>> No.2538995

>>2538992
Stop being such a rulefag.

>> No.2539010

>>2538983
>thus avenging his own tragic "death" in BW
Goddamn how did Metzen become such a fucking terrible writer?

>>2538992
Shut up, fag.

>> No.2539479
File: 835 KB, 1045x1100, 0371d1dc07474cb5c8e3bcd35b808c02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2537172

What

I liked the idea of the overmind being a weird alien psychic brain that is creatin a hivemind because it believes that assimiliating everything is the greater good.

I thought that it went to kerrigen because the xel'naga put limits on what it could do, I'd like the idea of the overmind coming back and going to kerrigen and telling her shes fucking up its shit.

I also don't like the inconsistent scale of the population. It can't decide if there are billions of people or barely millions in the most populaed planet

>> No.2540369

>turn on power overwhelming to fuck around
>enemies can't hurt eachother

Bad idea.

>> No.2540701
File: 71 KB, 600x716, dryad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2510179
Ahh, the great outdoors!

>> No.2540702
File: 14 KB, 250x200, goliath.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2540701
Goliath Online.

>> No.2540713
File: 20 KB, 218x184, Liberator_SC2-LotV_DevGame1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>2540702
One of the best units in the game

>FASA Goliath - a Battletech reference.
>Although initially cut from the roster of Starcraft 2 early on in favor of the flashy transformations of the Terran Viking, the Goliath makes a welcome return in the single player campaign. The initial model was done by Brian Sousa who created the original Goliath in Starcraft 1, then updated to match the polygon budget improvements many of the other new units were benefiting from. Several slight proportion adjustments were made to make the Goliath seem less impressive than the Viking, such as shorter gun barrels and smaller missile pods.
>Several slight proportion adjustments were made to make the Goliath seem less impressive than the Viking...

You heard it right, it was too awesome for that piece of shit that is Starcraft 2.
Nowadays, fans praise >pic related as good design.

>Liberator ('Merica Fuck Yeah!)
>Looks like a flying turd.
>Totally not Valkyrie because the fucking Viking is shit compared to it or Goliath.

>> No.2540720

>>2540713
i loved the goliath cause I thought the dude in the goliath was a badass with that gas mask and everything, the way he talked

>Go Ahead TAC-COM