[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 597x396, Original-Nintendo-64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2501119 No.2501119 [Reply] [Original]

I don't understand this "no games" meme. While the library is admittedly not as extensive as the PSX, I belive the system more than makes up for it in quality. I mean, you've got the best version of DOOM. Games like Mario 64 and Bomberman show how platformers should be done in 3D. There's Excitebike, Turok, Harvest Moon, and Star Wars. And, come on, Zelda is the highest rated game of all time! N64 has a respectable library that sits alongside the PSX and PC -- not an inferior one.

At least it's not a complete wasteland like the 3DO or Saturn.

>> No.2501132

Is this supposed to be some sort of backhanded insult of the N64? The N64 was better than the PSX and PC at the time, except for RPGs. Nobody ever said it was like the 3DO or Saturn.

>> No.2501139

>>2501119
Even the Saturn has a better library than the N64.

>> No.2501141

>>2501119

That comes from the in comparison to the PS1 much smaller library. Since the PS1 used discs and Sony being a lot less restrictive with licensing and the discs being ceaper to produce this obviously lead to a lot of developing for the system- and a lot of that impressive number of titles being shovelware.
Still, these numbers are where that originates, "Ohhh, look at this cute little system with its 300 games, MY system had over 2000!".
As a number in itself, ~400 games is a pretty good library for a system.

>> No.2501146

>>2501119
do you know what a maymay is

>> No.2501148

>>2501119
>Bomberman
>platformer
u wot m8

>> No.2501165

It has a horrible fanbase of people who are ignorant of non-Nintendo games, so it gets a lot of shit as a result. I do think it has the weakest library of its generation by far but I don't hate it. Just its fans.

>> No.2501286
File: 69 KB, 384x338, Mischief1413811548771.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2501165

In contrast, I think the whole "N64 sucks" meme comes from just the usual fanboys, I wouldn't be so sure about its "fanbase" (what fanbase? maybe people just want to discuss the console, without being fanatics) not knowing anything outside Nintendo. I think this idea of nintendo fans not knowing anything other than nintendo is a bit of an idealized internet stereotype, coming out directly from the hateboner some console warriors have against Nintendo.
I was always an idort, but most of other people who only had a Nintendo console were still into other kind of games, and vice versa. People who had a Sega or Playstation console wouldn't mind playing with a Nintendo one.

>> No.2501291

>>2501119

It's just a troll phrase by people who like starting console war debates

>> No.2501309

>>2501119
Its definitely quality in games over quantity. People praise the PS!, "It has so many games!" Yeah no thanks I dont feel like playing that shit Independence Day game, or Blasto.

Also this guy >>2501139
is a huge faggot

>> No.2501347

>>2501309

Saturn's library isn't bad, at all, though.

I'd say in terms of 3D games, n64 had the best to offer at the time, while Saturn had the best 2D stuff, as well as its own Sega stuff like Virtua Fighter or Panzer Dragoon.
PS1 was just in between that. It was a very mediocre console, its best thing was the video codec for FMVs.
It has many a great game, but having owned all 3 consoles back then, I used N64 and Saturn more.
Used PS1 mainly to play bad anime games.

>> No.2501352

I always felt kinda bad for N64 kids. The best games are multiplayer and everyone with an n64 was an only child.

>> No.2501361

>>2501352
... What? N64 was awesome for multiplayer. Ps is the one that only had two controller spots and tons of rpgs

>> No.2501362
File: 302 KB, 260x240, 1389945746172.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2501352

>only childs can't have friends or cousins

>> No.2501403

>>2501309
>Its definitely quality in games over quantity.
The ratio is still pretty off.

Actually, not sure if N64 was particularly bad or if I just don't like 5th gen.

But in the modern age of emus/re-releases/flash carts there's no reason to ignore the good games it had just because of console war nonsense.

>>2501352
>The best games are multiplayer and everyone with an n64 had no friends
Fixed it for me

>> No.2501416

>>2501119
Take the Saturn library, and replace the RPG with sports games.

Now you have the N64 library

>> No.2501421

>>2501119
I think the best version of Doom was actually on the Jaguar.

>> No.2501451

The only good or noticeable games for the N64 are either first party or are owned by Nintendo 2nd party (rare). I can't think of any good third party games, they were either shovelware or some stupid sports game

>> No.2501459

>>2501416
... what? The Saturn had millions of shmups and fighting games as well as loads of weird Japanese games. It's library is massive compared to the N64. Something like 1200 games vs 300.

>> No.2501460

Saturn and PSX are better

>> No.2501463
File: 58 KB, 150x150, Mischief1419838867501.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2501451

Goemon series, Mischief Makers, Gauntlet 64, Rogue Squadron (yeah, got a PC port later on but was developed for the N64), Indiana Jones and the infernal machine

It's true the 1st party stuff is probably the strongest, but if you can't think of any good 3rd party N64 game that simply means you don't know its catalogue very well.

>> No.2501616

There's no real point in console war shit because the only reason the wars even started was because the price made it so that you had to choose one or two consoles period, and people (children) were insecure that they (their parents) made the wrong decision.

Now that you can pick up every major console from a generation for the price of just one's original inflation adjusted retail price there's no point in not owning every console.

Not only that, but people are presumably adults and not children entirely dependent on their parents for money, so there should be even less insecurity.

Plus I never actually remember console/computer wars before I got on the internet and went to forums. In real life you wanted friends that had consoles you didn't so you could share.

>> No.2501650

>>2501616
The only wars I ever remember taking place outside of dank internet hangout spots were between the Genesis vs. the SNES, and PS3/4 vs. 360/One.

>> No.2501654

I had a N64 as a kid and yeah I enjoyed it a lot playing it with friends but I knew it wasn't the greatest thing ever. I think one of the biggest problems is that so many people are unable to look back at things objectively.

>> No.2501668

>>2501654
Things might get better over-all as more people who have a vested nostalgia based interest in a console give way to people who have a completely unbiased interest be it because they never had one at the time or because they weren't really around to appreciate it.

But maybe not, I have a feeling interest in retrogaming even by younger people will always have as the driving force completely subjective opinions and superficial reasons for enjoying the games in the first place

>> No.2501676

>>2501668
most people are emotional and think entirely in subjective terms, I don't see this changing.

It's a shame too because the only constructive communities I see are ones which are entirely built around technical discussion where flamewars are entirely put out by the administration before they start. That would never work here so we will always be a 2nd rate community.

>> No.2501683

>>2501668
You might be right there.

Video gamers are a petty lot, they really feel the need to assign themselves to groups and form allegiances over...really pointless things.

>> No.2501689

was 12 - 13
I had PSX
m8 had N64
we argued for hours over which was better
I was introduced to Goldeneye on the understanding that it was amazing
it was pure shit
you walk around with a big fucking pencil shooting wonky russian spastics
no thanx

>> No.2501694

>>2501683
It's weird because people in other computing subcultures manage to have their debates with out any constant flamewars. The Holy Wars in the UNIX community like Vi vs EMACS, C vs C++, BSD vs Linux are all light hearted and have good discussion.

The debates in gaming communities instantly devolve into insults with no actual points being made.

>> No.2501704

>>2501694
Maybe its because, at least in regard to technical things, the arguments can be more objective instead of being solely based around opinion

>> No.2501721

>>2501119
the saturn was awesome, imho the most underrated oder most disregarded console ever! But i love the N64 for all it's cardridge and 3D glory, and milestones like supermario 64, golden eye, perfect dark, 1080 ... even ISS 98 was the best sports game i had ever played at the time! Compared to the N64 the PS1 was obsolete. It had more games yes, but the N64 had far better graphics and a very unique graphic style. I will remember it as the last great "classic" console for this, screw that cd-based scum.

>> No.2501887

>>2501689
I just played Goldeneye 007 the other day and holy shit this game is over a year post-Quake? It feels like two steps back instead of forward.

>> No.2501897

>>2501887
Holy shit shut the fuck up troll.

>> No.2501901

>>2501119
Sorry but
PSX > SS > N64
Go fanboy somewhere else. We really don't need /vr/ to be a disgusting Nintendo fanboi club like /v/ is.

>> No.2501934

>>2501901
PSX is great if you like slideshows and half your play time being loading screens.

>> No.2501936

>>2501901
>>2501934
posting in an N64 thread :^)

>> No.2501937

>>2501897
how is it better than quake? not that guy and genuinely curious

>> No.2501938

>>2501934
Or if you like playing games beyond Nintendo 1st party rehashes and a handful of 3rd party titles.

>> No.2501939

Playing Royal Rumble on those WWF N64 games with 3 friends back in the day was so fucking fun. That and spending hours shooting each other in Goldeneye and Star Fox. The graphics are dated now, but back then it was me and all my friends' favorite system. My friends who had both hardly touched the PSX.

>> No.2502020

>>2501616
>there is no point in not owning every console
>implying poorfags dont play games
well fuck you, thats the reason i started to emulate

>> No.2502046

>>2501887
Yep. And it is full of glitches.

>> No.2502075

>>2501689

to be fair he also was mad into WWF games so that could be what put me off the N64 overall

>> No.2502105

>>2501939
This. I cant believe people actually think we didnt had good multiplayer experiences back then with the N64. When I didnt played with my cousins mario kart or goldeneye, i was playing with some friends either smash bros or some wrestiling shit, it was fun as fuck.

>> No.2502150

>>2501937
Not him but it's a totally different experience, yeah they're both fps but that's really the only similarity, its an apples-oranges comparison.

Goldeneye was obviously better than quake for local multiplayer (lan setups were impractical for most people), and it has better single-player level/mission design.

>> No.2502174

>>2501937
I didn't say it was "better than Quake" retard, I said it wasn't technically inferior. Everything was more detailed, the enemy movements were much more sophisticated. I love Quake and I found myself arguing for it against Goldeneye many times back then, how weird I'm arguing that Goldeneye is as good now, because so many morons on the internet don't give it the chance they need to to understand it properly.

>> No.2502183

>>2501119
It was the best. Only literal losers (loners) liked PSX more, and there's a lot of loners on /vr/ I'm afraid. This isn't to say N64 didn't have great SP; it won in that department, too, for everything but RPG (and RPG sucks balls anyway). PlayStation was also the poor kid's console.

>> No.2502186
File: 61 KB, 500x500, 1410564103481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2501887
Goldeneye was amazing back in 1997.

>> No.2502287

>>2502020
I only make 10 dollars an hour and I manage to buy a new console + controllers + add-ons + flashcarts at least once a month

>> No.2502297

My friend and I both owned a PS1 growing up while he also had an N64. While he did play it a lot we generally stuck with the PS1 simply because it had a bigger library and many more choices in each genre, a lot of them just as good as the best N64 games. It had plenty of platformers and action/adventure titles for me, while it also had plenty of RPGs for him. The controller was much easier to use and had more intuitive and complex control schemes suited for any genre. I felt the graphics were better too, and the music was certainly much better.

I never felt like I was missing out with the N64 because by the time it became more affordable to me emulators were out and I could play the N64s classic library.

Not to mention once the PS2 came out and everybody upgraded they could still pull out all the old PS1 games. The same can't be said for the Gamecube.

>> No.2502407
File: 14 KB, 436x201, Goldeneye being full of twats.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2502150
>and it has better single-player level/mission design.
I am going to try not to fly off the handle here but I wholeheartedly agree. Enemies have completely inconsistent AI. An enemy can walk by me and practically high five my character and STILL not notice me while his two buddies are down way at the other end of the map gunning me down with impeccable accuracy.

One moment in particular I remember from the very first level is a corridor where you are under fire on both sides and there is literally no way to take cover from the onslaught of bullets from either side. See pic.

This sort of game design is not good and stems entirely from the "its realistic" argument, which is NOT a good argument. I'm starting to show my id fanboyism, but really early in Doom's development, they went to actual military bases to research and recreate them, but scrapped them for Romero's abstract design instead because the levels were really bad and looked like they belonged in Wolfenstein. (You can see one of these early levels in one of the Doom alphas.) In fact, I'm very certain this game's success is what bred the market for autistic cawwadoody games.

>> No.2502410

>>2502407
>but I wholeheartedly agree
Wholeheartedly disagree! Fuck! Fuck!

>> No.2502414

>>2502186
Maybe if you didn't have a computer at the time.

Quake was fucking astounding and this board just fucking hates to be reminded of any of Goldeneye's failings (which are graphics, multiplayer, controls, and story.)

>> No.2502458

>>2502414
not that guy but a lot of people couldn't into computers back then, it was still nerdy and lame. Even then, it took some effort getting a multiplayer match together. With Goldeneye I just had to have a couple extra controllers. It had its flaws but for 1997, it was a huge deal. Of course Quake is a better game on every level.

>> No.2502518

>>2502407
If I may add to this, there's too much damn fog in the game. I know it's an N64 game, but it makes levels like Train and Jungle almost impossible on 00 Agent.

The enemy:
>can see you through the fog
>will see you instantly as soon as you come into their field of view
>will pick you off with perfect accuracy
Meanwhile, you can't see shit and have nowhere to hide; even if you did, you have no idea where the shots are coming from.

Garbage. I LOVED the game when I had it back in the day and owning Goldeneye made you the coolest kid in class, but it's hard to revisit.

>> No.2502520

>>2502407
Why would you even talk about "fly off the handle"? Oh you're not going to "fly off the handle", what a ridiculous thing to say.

The enemies were "dumb" and you could exploit them, that's how it is with plenty of fps games, with Quake they were vastly dumber. Again I love Quake but it wasn't as good as Goldeneye, they were very close.

Honestly, what a ridiculous opinion. Even lots of modern games have very dumb enemies. You can stick your stupid diagram right up your ass.

>> No.2502546

>>2502520
Not that guy, but you could've saved yourself some time on that post and said
>NO UR DUM AND A BUTFAEC
instead. It would've had the same level of intelligence and insight.

>> No.2502651

>>2502520
Thanks for the counterargument about the diagram specifically. That was very thought out and intellectual. I'm glad we could have this argument.

As for your actual argument, I never said "dumb", I said "inconsistent". When I run past a ogre, I can expect him to notice me, start running around, and probably pop some grenades my way unless I'm close enough for a chainsawing to the face. In Goldeneye every single enemy encounter is a dice roll.

As for "Fly off the handle", basically I wanted to not do what you just did right there and what I'm basically doing now. So thanks for that.

>> No.2502665

>>2501148
Bomberman Hero

>> No.2502927

>>2501119
It makes me boil a little bit inside when I think about what this system could have been. They were planning for it to be a CD-based system, but then they freaked out because of muh piracy, and the console ended up using cartridges that could only store a tenth of what a Saturn or PlayStation disc could and were extremely hard for developers to work with. So not only did the cartridges cause the N64's distinct lack of games due to being impossible to program on, but once again, they didn't have any space to store data. They're responsible for the compressed audio. They had virtually no support for FMV. (When they did appear on the system, they were almost always extremely compressed.) They could not handle large, high-quality textures, and so small, lower-quality textures needed to be stretched into a pixelated mess. That's the reason the bilinear texture-filtering is there, but since the filter only works on high-quality textures, blurry messes were common. Instead of being a 64-bit PS1 on steroids with Z-buffering and perspective-correction with a huge variety of games that included classic Nintendo IPs and a bunch of awesome third-party stuff, the N64 is a 64-bit, cartridge-based PS3 with crappy sound and graphics, only with first-party games (which would be better on CD anyway) as opposed to third-party. Cartridges are truly the reason Nintendo lost to Sony that generation. The controller also sucked.

>> No.2502939

Only on /vr/ people shit on the N64, everywhere else it's praised as the "only 90's kids" console.

>> No.2502970

>>2502927
>The controller also sucked.
I kind of liked it. In a fictional world where the Sony PS1 never existed, the concept of having 3 controllers in 1 is king.

>> No.2502973

>>2502970
Were there any games that used the left & middle grip combo?

>> No.2502990

>>2502927
A lot of your info is wrong or at least incorrect.

Nintendo didn't chose carts due to piracy concerns, nor to avoid long load times. They wanted to avoid access times / latency from the storage medium. In the end, the carts saved the n64 (everything else but the CPU sucked, carts turned out to be a band-aid; and the CPU was somewhat bugfixed and beta-tested by Sega).

Whether a console uses carts, discs, or other means of storage doesn't make it harder or easier to code for. Just ask Saturn devs, this system was CD-based and very challenging to make good use of its hardware.

The reason the n64 can't handle decent textures is simply the size of its texture cache - unrelated to carts. You have to make do with 4kb (reduced to 2kb if you're using bilinear filtering). Considering the console was designed to push huge polygons (a feat both the PS1 and the Saturn had a hard time to do), this cache was absolutely ridiculous. That's where carts came in handy, as they allowed data to be streamed from a bigger storage, almost like if it were RAM.

Speaking of RAM, it also turned out that the console's memory suffered from insane latency. Also, no DMA. Good luck trying to deal with that.

The n64 isn't 64 bit either, it's a 32bit system with a misleading name (because 64>32, right? The Jaguar tried that marketing trick too, but failed).

>> No.2502998

I can list the number of decent RPG's for the N64 on one hand.

>> No.2503001

>>2502990
A lot of your info is wrong or at least incorrect.

The N64 and jaguar both have 64 bit elements in them. The N64 is more definitely 64 bit than the jaguar because it has a 64 bit word size.

>> No.2503002

>best version of doom
Not even close.

>mario 64
>how platformers should be done in 3d
You mean with garbage controls and a laughable camera? Sure, kid.

>Zelda
A buggy, clumsy mess for the first one and a horrible, repetitious game that should never have been set in the Zelda universe as the second one?

It's really true, the N64 ruined an entire generation of gamers and created the clusterfuck gaming is today.

>> No.2503007

>>2502998
You can count all the N64's RPGS, decent or otherwise, on one hand.

>> No.2503067

>>2503002
It's good that you're trying

but you're trying a little TOO hard :^)

>> No.2503094

>>2503002
>It's really true, the N64 ruined an entire generation of gamers and created the clusterfuck gaming is today.

Couldnt agree more. But the n64 wasnt even that huge outside USA.
It got bigger because of youtubers overrating shit like goldeneye.

>> No.2503104

>>2503094
>It got bigger because of youtubers
So the "generation of gamers" which you are agreeing that the N64 ruined is actually the kids who didn't grow up during the N64 lifecycle?

As far as I can remember, YouTube wasn't a thing back when I was playing Goldeneye

>> No.2503127

PS1 > SS > N64

How nintendrones still defend the worst Nintendo console? all it had was 3D plats, racing games and a few decent 3rd party games and shooters.

>> No.2503272

>>2503127

SS=N64>PS

IMO.

Treasure games are always above average to me and both Saturn and N64 got masterpieces by them. Can't say the same about PS. Plus I'm not that big fan of 5th gen-era Square, so...

Nobody is acting like N64 is the best consle ever, just that it isn't as bad as some anti-nintendo people want it to be. It definitely had games.

>> No.2503319

>>2503001
>The N64 and jaguar both have 64 bit elements in them.
That doesn't magically make the N64 a true 64bit machine.

>Except for its narrower 32-bit system bus, the VR4300 retained the computational abilities of the more powerful 64-bit MIPS R4300i,[5] though software rarely took advantage of 64-bit data precision operations. N64 game-titles generally used faster (and more compact) 32-bit data-operations,[6] as these were sufficient to generate 3D-scene data for the console's RSP (Reality Signal Processor; see below) unit. In addition, 32-bit code executed faster and required less storage space (which was at a premium on the N64's cartridges)

>> No.2503341

>>2503272

I completely disagree with your opinion but I respect it. Try playing Tenchu 2 someday.

>> No.2503417

>>2502287

What are you going to do once you own every console?

Retire?

>> No.2503418
File: 290 KB, 1680x1050, airwalk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2502407
I'm pretty sure no one bothered to play Quake single player post 97, it was the online multiplayer that kept everyone playing.

>> No.2503419

>>2503002
I'm no N64 fan but the idea that Mario 64 had bad controls or that Zelda was buggy or clumsy is laughable.

>> No.2503421

>>2502414
>>2502458
The real question is if you picked up either of these games to play again, which would you enjoy more.

I've tried both recently and was horrified at how bad Goldeneye has aged.

Quake is more than playable.

>> No.2503430

>>2502651
But dude, rude or not what you're saying is just horse shit. There is no random element to whether an enemy notices you or not. There is no "dice roll", this is an imaginary thing that you invented in your head. Sometimes what enemies notice you and what don't can feel funny, for example sometimes you can shoot right at a door and yet the enemy won't notice you, that's a valid criticism and so you probably think you have some backup in it. However you're on your own saying it's a dice roll. There is nothing lucky or dice rolling about the enemies, and you obviously don't understand the game at all and are not playing it properly.

You can sit there all you want and look like as if you're the reasonable one, but your diagram and commentary is a total fabrication and there is no place at all that that legitimately happens during normal gameplay. An extremely tiny part of the game that doesn't impact on it at all. There is zero place you can't avoid taking hits, you peek out from the side or you can strafe left and right if you're in a hurry.

Now I've wasted enough time amusing you, hope it was worth it.

>> No.2503460

>>2501119
Nope, you're a retard. The Saturn has a much larger library of quality exclusives, but most of those exclusives had to be imported. While all N64 had was 1st & 2nd party exclusives. Deal with it nerdboy.

>> No.2503509

>>2503319
The N64's CPU is absolutely *real* 64bit.

It satisfies the three criteria for a processor to be considered a 64bit processor. 64bit datapath width, 64bit integer size and 64bit memory address. Just because these features weren't used doesn't make the processor a 32bit one.

If you install Windows 8 32bit version on your i7 it doesn't make the i7 a 32bit processor, all it proves is that your i7 also supports 32bit mode.

Also people saying that Goldeneye has technically aged are really showing their underage. Here's how most people remember playing Quake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De-PbdVMEuM

Nobody's forcing you to play Quake on an ancient computer. Nobody's forcing you to play Goldeneye on a real N64. Emulate and patch Goldeneye if you want better performance.

>> No.2503517

>>2503509
What was the point in making it 64 bit?

>> No.2503528

>>2503517
The MIPS R4300i processor was simply the best value one at the time. The fact that it supported 64bit mode was merely incidental. Sounding good for marketing was just a bonus.

http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/R4300i.pdf

PS1 used an older version of this processor called the R3000, but it was only 32bit.

>> No.2503535

>>2503509
It's not that Goldeneye has aged poorly. It was shit upon release.
I mean, if you'd ever played a PC FPS before Goldeneye, it was just an unplayable, ugly mess. Problem is, all the console kids of the era didn't know any better, because it was their first FPS.

>> No.2503542

>>2501119
Counting imports it has only about 300 games. BY FAR the smallest library ever for a successful console.

It was great for wrestling, FPSes, racing, and Nintendo stuff, and with a few exceptions basically sucked beyond that.

>> No.2503545

>>2503528
Was it a better option than a PPC or ARM?
A Pentium would have had the advantage of familiarity for programmers on the main computing platforms.

>> No.2503547

>>2503535
>I mean, if you'd ever played a PC FPS before Goldeneye, it was just an unplayable, ugly mess. Problem is, all the console kids of the era didn't know any better, because it was their first FPS.
Hahahaha. At the time of Goldeneye's release, the only full 3D FPS on PC was Quake.

>> No.2503550

>or the Saturn

The Saturn has a MUCH better library than the N64. The problem is 90% of the games weren't released where you live. In this age, that isn't a problem though, so go play some Saturn games dawg.

>> No.2503562

>>2503545
>Was it a better option than a PPC or ARM?
I'd say so. This was pretty much the peak of MIPS, for embedded applications you just couldn't beat the performance for price. The older PowerPCs weren't designed for lower-end computers, and ARM were too underpowered.

>A Pentium would have had the advantage of familiarity for programmers on the main computing platforms.
Well Pentium was still relatively new when the N64 was being designed (1994-1995), so programmers weren't familiar with it yet. But the bigger issue was cost. Pentiums in those days weren't cheap.

>> No.2503570

>PSX
>PS1
This is how you spot someone who never owned a PS during its lifetime.

>> No.2503582

>>2503535
Jesus what is it with these fucking kids coming in saying Goldeneye is shit. Is it that clickbait youtube video about aging games that has caused this?

Goldeneye is and always has been a brilliant game. And I'm pretty sure part of the reason for this is because people have no fucking clue and give up.

>> No.2503590

>>2503535
Samefag that just posted, but Quake was on the N64 you clueless retard. After initial excitement it was largely forgotten about behind Goldeneye and Perfect Dark because it was in no way as good as those games.

>> No.2503621

>>2503582
Yeah, your rabid fanboyism certainly is sign of critical thinking.

>>2503590
Quake on N64 was released a year after Goldeneye, and two years after it was released on PC. In case you don't know, most FPS ports weren't very popular on consoles, because they're not designed to be played on consoles. Quake was huge in multiplayer circles back in the day, and probably the most influential multiplayer FPS until CS came along. It really can't be played properly without a mouse, and it certainly has no business on a shitty console like the N64.

>> No.2503630

>>2503582
My problem with Goldeneye is the fact that Perfect Dark exists and is a better game.

>> No.2503631

>>2501119
Saturn had a more varied library than n64 with at least as many good games if you speak japenese. The n64 despite claiming it's more powerful than both these system, the 64 couldn't handle any game with the scope of panzer saga or ff7. Ff7 n64 models are living proof of how underpowered the n64 was

>> No.2503656

>>2503621
It can be played fine without a mouse.

I can't get over the fact that you're talking about "shitty console like the N64".

To use "shitty" and "N64" in even the same sentence shows you are either trolling to an extreme or genuinely don't know anything about videogames.

Is that rabid fanboyism? No, it's just a fact accepted by everyone that the N64 was and is a great console and had some great games. If I were a rabid fanboy I'd be saying things like Goldeneye was by far the best FPS for years, PC included, or N64 totally blew the PS out of the water in every single way apart from shovelware. That's the type of thing I'd be saying as a fanboy. You really think it's reasonable to come in here calling the N64 "shit"? Even if you don't like the console, just say that, not this bullcrap. The N-Gage was shit. The 3D0 was shit. I'm not going to say the Saturn was shit, I'm respectful of it, but it certainly has vastly more question marks over it than the N64.

>> No.2503670

>>2503656
>It's just widely known
>everybody knows

Nice weasel words nintendrone

>> No.2503678

>>2503656
The N64 is an underpowered console that has serious flaws when compared to other 5th gen consoles and computers of the time. That's not even saying the library is bad, I'm only talking in strictly objective terms, it could have the best library of every system ever, which it might, let's say I think that, I'd still have to be delusional to not realize how bad the actual console was

>> No.2503680

>>2503656
Quake was built around extremely fast paced gameplay and tight controls. This is quite literally impossible to achieve on an N64, so for the purposes of FPS games, yes, it's shit.
Other than that, there really wasn't a single game on the N64 I enjoyed.

>> No.2503681

>>2503590
Quake on the N64 was worse than Goldeneye, that doesn't mean Quake for real systems was too

>> No.2503704

>>2503678
>The N64 is an underpowered console that has serious flaws when compared to other 5th gen consoles and computers of the time
N64 had a better 3D acceleration GPU than PCs did in mid-1996 lel

Enjoy your S3 Virge

>> No.2503709

>>2501119
>I don't understand
I guess you're too young. You have to be old enough to have an older brother or dad who was a kid at the time and just believed their bullshit.

>> No.2503759

>>2503678
Okay, now I know you're just talking shit out of your asshole.

The N64 was VASTLY superior to the PS and especially the Saturn in EVERY way. It compared very favourably to many high-end PCs. The reason is the dedicated custom 100mhz processor and extremely strong GPU that was based on a supercomputer at the time. There can not be any serious comparison between the PS and N64 in terms of technical power, and I'm not even going to talk about the Saturn which was basically a 2D console (and did 2D quite well).

The only thing that let the N64 down was the capacity of the cartridges.

>> No.2503760

>>2503759
Then why did N64 games look like shit while PS1 games looked decent

>> No.2503767

>>2503760
You're delusional. That's not true at all.

>> No.2503776

>>2503767
Proofs?

>> No.2503784

>>2503680
Wrong again. Quake played perfectly well on the N64. Games like Quake, Quake 2 and Duke Nukem running perfectly at maximum fps did not test the N64 in any way. I know it's not the best way to test them but you can run them in a N64 emulator with a really slow PC. There was even a development for bringing Quake 3 Arena to the N64, the lack of mouse for competitive play is probably the main reason it was eventually scrapped and it was late in the N64's lifespan also. Also there was no online. The fact they even tried it shows the N64 was capable of much more.

>> No.2503790

>>2501141
Not really if such a ludicrously small percentage of the games are actually good

>> No.2503791

>>2503759
>was based on a supercomputer at the time
Is that relevant for anything but marketing?

>> No.2503793

>>2503784
Nigger I have fucking played Quake on the N64 it's a piece of shit compared to the PC version

>> No.2503796 [DELETED] 

>>2503793
How? The graphics are superior to vanilla Quake (look it up). The action is a lot more fast-paced. I am curious over how you could possibly come to that conclusion. Did you play it for a few hours or minutes?

>> No.2503798

>>2503759
>The only thing that let the N64 down was the capacity of the cartridges.
That's not some little petty oversight, it fucking crippled most games Like >>2503631 said, no way could the N64 do something with the scope of Panzer Saga or Final Fantasy VII.

Honestly sticking with cartridges is such an utterly amazingly dumb decision I'm amazed anyone could ever think it was a good idea. It hobbled the console. From before it was even launched it had no hope of competing with the PS1 or Saturn when it comes to game quality.

>> No.2503804

>>2503793
How? The graphics are superior to vanilla Quake (look it up). The action is the exact same in every way except a few crappy maps were cut. I am curious over how you could possibly come to that conclusion. Did you play it for a few hours or minutes?

>> No.2503812

>>2503759
>The reason is the dedicated custom 100mhz processor and extremely strong GPU that was based on a supercomputer at the time
Woah woah woah, I like the N64 but let's not exaggerate.

The N64's CPU (VR4300/R4300i) is more akin to a turbo-charged 486DX2 than a Pentium because it's not superscalar. Its performance level is definitely a lot faster than any 486 ever made, but if you really have to compare it to a Pentium it's more akin to something like a first-gen Pentium 66. It's about 3 times faster (excluding the PS1's GTE co-processor) than the R3000 inside the PS1 though

The N64's GPU is faster and more fully featured than any of those available for PC (excluding CAD units and shit) before the release of Voodoo Graphics in Dec 1996/Jan 1997.

Unfortunately the N64's motherboard and memory architecture is extremely difficult to get good performance out of due to its narrow (and limited in number) buses.

>> No.2503814

>>2503798
They thought the DD would fix everything which obviously failed to happen.

>> No.2503905

>>2503341

I've played the Tenchu games.

>> No.2503924

>>2503272
I wouldn't say that just because a few Treasure games the N64 and the Saturn are better, it's the same logic from Nintendo fans that say N64 is much better because of Zelda. As a whole i think it's pretty clear that the PS1 has a much varied library with lots of good titles to discover.

>> No.2503942

>>2503924

That's why I said "IMO".

Also, I'm talking from my own personal experience, and not a fanboy of any of these companies (if anything, I used to be a Sega fan, not really a Nintendo fan, but that's when I was a kid, now I just enjoy games regardless of brand).
I used Sega Saturn and N64 a lot more than the PS (for all 3 consoles the same year, 1996).
PS was always the one I'd use the least, and mostly I'd play anime games on it: Dragon Ball Final Bout, Macross, Ranma 1/2 and many others, it was a good console to get anime games, albeit most of them were bad shovelware, it was a nice curiosity.
It wasn't until 1998 or so that I started giving the PS more use, with games like MGS for example. But in 1998 I was already playing more on N64 and PC, and eventually I got a Dreamcast.

I'd say I played a good chunk of PS, not just shovelware or anime, I played all the worthwhile survival horror games, etc... I think the main reason why I don't like the PS as much as other people do is because I wasn't a big fan of that era's RPGs.

And besides Sega and Nintendo's own 1st party masterpieces (Zelda, Virtua FIghter, Panzer Dragoon, etc), they had Treasure games (mischief makers, guardian heroes). So yeah, I think the "quality over quantity" law applies to SS and N64 over PS, in MY personal experience of having been an idort back then.

PS is still a great console, and over the years I discovered a lot of great games for it (same can be said for N64 and SS, especially when delving into the japanese catalogues), but I don't prefer it.

>> No.2503947

>>2503804
It blatantly states that it's inferior. Lower resolution and they had to cut a bunch of shit because of CPU and memory limitations.
What I was primarily talking about, though, was the lack of mouse control. If you're not aware of how dependent FPS games are on mouse controls, particularly in games of that era, you really are delusional.

>> No.2503953

>>2503947
It's actually slightly higher resolution than this >>2503509

>> No.2503975

>>2503942
I understand, but i disagree that the PS1 is just mostly RPGs, as i already said the good thing about the consola is that it has genres for everyone, i think the "quality over quantity" thing is a myth, because the PS1 has both.

Out of my mind, some similar titles to the ones you named.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhooP1baQQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1AhKrBGiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERm6GUF4-8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ClFookNdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxvp64xssnw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax3n38JYESE

>> No.2503982 [DELETED] 

>>2503947
You are stupid. Everyone knows that there's a valid point about the mouse being quicker and more accurate to aim. Everyone also knows that in 1-player games it's not really relevant, since it's not competitive. I have played through the entire game on hard mode on the N64 and no it doesn't make a big difference. The main thing is about strategy of how you're going to take the level and not super accurate aiming or fast reflexes. So you decided to harp on this your own only point about the mouse in fps games and then come up with "particularly in games of that era", it's just pathetic like. There is no difference between how the controller worked in FPS games then and now, and it shows me that you're not interested in finding out or commenting on the truth but rather trying to affirm some preconceived bs notions you have.

>> No.2503986

>>2503947
You are stupid. Everyone knows that there's a valid point about the mouse being quicker and more accurate to aim. Everyone also knows that in 1-player games that depending on your taste it's not that relevant, since it's not competitive. I have played through the entire game on hard mode on the N64 and no it doesn't make a big difference. I enjoy the game on N64 or PC equally, the higher resolution on the modern PC is the only slight improvement and nobody plays Quake for the graphics anyway. The main thing is about strategy of how you're going to take the level and not super accurate aiming or fast reflexes. So you decided to harp on this your own only point about the mouse in fps games and then come up with "particularly in games of that era", it's just pathetic like. There is no difference between how the controller worked in FPS games then and now, and it shows me that you're not interested in finding out or commenting on the truth but rather trying to affirm some preconceived bs notions you have.

>> No.2504010

>>2503975

it's okay, I played most of these games you posted, but they're just OK, but not as good as games like Goemon's Great Adventure, Mischief Makers, Guardian Heroes.
Hence why I think quality is not the same. Quantity though, yeah, PS has a lot of stuff, and a lot of that stuff is good, too. Just not masterpieces.

>> No.2504013

>>2503982
First of all, Quake is primarily famous for its multiplayer. It's what spawned the entire Arena genre.
Second, the fast paced controls is what actually makes the gameplay fun, singleplayer or not. Along with Doom, it actually popularized the concept of speedrunning, due to the ridiculous control and mobility the game gives you.

>> No.2504015 [DELETED] 

>>2504010
Opinions i guess, i hate how much enemies block in Guardian heroes, not my cup of tea when it comes to beat 'em ups.

>> No.2504051

>>2503953
Shortly after the release of the original software rendered Quake, GlQuake and WinQuake were released, and as far as I recall, you could choose whatever resolution you wanted. I think the common resolution was 800x600 though, while the N64 was locked to 320x240.

Internet cafes at the time primarily used GlQuake for its multiplayer matches.

>> No.2504057

>>2504013
You're just making it up as you go along grasping at any possible grains of truth you can. Full of all kinds of confusion and ignorance, I'm done.

Also Goldeneye has one of the largest speedrunning communities of any game ever. Go look it up and stop pretending you know about this.

>> No.2504064

>>2503986
> "particularly in games of that era",
Are you high or something? I'm not saying controllers will ever be good for FPS games, but I'm fairly certain they've learned something since 1997, and optimized the controllers to work as well with FPS games as they possibly can.

>> No.2504079

>>2504057
I'm making this up? Go look up the history of speedrunning from any source, and see what pops up first.
Also, if you don't know the huge impact that Quake had on multiplayer FPS, then you're really just embarrassing yourself.

Lastly, the massive difference between the PC version of Quake, and the N64 version can be seen in its review scores. While Quake has a comfortable 94%, the N64 is at 74%. The versions were clearly not equal.

>> No.2504086

>>2504010
Opinions i guess, i prefer traditional beat 'em ups to Guardians Heroes and i think Tomba is as good if not better than Mischief Makers

>> No.2504109

>>2504064
Nope, dual analog is of dubious merit. The c-button move control scheme was and is perfect. The N64 stick offered very precise movement and accuracy that no other conventional controller stick does now. The downside of this was the notorious wearing of the stick that admittedly ends up making them very weak (you can fix them or get a new stick or a new controller). If you ever played with a N64 stick and tried one that's out now you'd know what I mean.

>>2504079
I told you I'm not interested in talking to you anymore. Your farcical pretending I said or implied things I didn't isn't going to change that.

>> No.2504118

>>2504109
>The c-button move control scheme was and is perfect.
I clearly forgot who I was talking to. Everything about your supercomputer is apparently perfect. I bet they have a couple running the servers at the Cheyenne Mountain Complex.

>> No.2504220
File: 229 KB, 482x337, 1435175086021.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2504109
>N64 controller perfect for FPS
>these opinions

>> No.2504491

>>2503509
Aging doesn't just mean graphics

Playing quake today in 640 x 480 and capping fps still results in a more playable game than
Goldeneye

>> No.2504534

>>2504109
>The c-button move control scheme was and is perfect.
Made my day. Thanks for the laugh, you're a master of comedy sir.

>> No.2504549
File: 48 KB, 410x380, hueheuheueheuheuehuehe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>HURR DURR THE N64 IS A MULTIPLAYER CONSOLE
>only good multiplayer games are mario party, goldeneye and mario kart
>meanwhile the saturn has all good capcom and snk fightans with nearly arcade perfect quality, house of the dead, virtua fighter 2,dynamite deka, guardian heroes and at least 100 other ones
>ps1 has tekken, a lot of decent fightans (IE the arcade port of street fighter alpha 3), crash team racing, tony hawk series, twisted metal series, medal of honor, quake, puzzle bobble series, gran turismo, ridge racer series...

When will n64 fanboys realize that this retarded claim backed only by the fact that it had 4 controller slots built in as opposed to needing a multitap doesnt make it a multiplayer console?

>> No.2504569

>>2504534

How is it not perfect? How is it improved on in any way? I respect people who like dual analog, but it's not really better.

Dual analog is at best a questionable improvement. For some games you just want to either go in the direction or not go there. Like how WASD are not analog.

> Playing quake today in 640 x 480 and capping fps still results in a more playable game than
Goldeneye

Jesus Christ Goldeneye is the better game. Quake 1-player can be very, very good also, but it's nowhere at the level of Goldeneye. The stupidity and ignorance around here is astounding.

>> No.2504572

>>2504569
And herp derp when I say perfect I'm talking about conventional controllers, I'm not including keyboard and mouse or other types of controls.

>> No.2504575

>>2504572
kb/m is pretty conventional for FPS games

>> No.2504596

>>2504569
Who said WASD was even a good thing to begin with? It exists because there's no easy alternative for PC players (save from buying additional hardware, eg a joypad).

>> No.2504606

>>2503509
Dude, when people say the graphics are terrible compared to Quake, at least some of us are referring to what happens when shit explodes in either game.

In Quake, an explosion occurs, the game continues normally.

In Goldeneye, an explosion occurs, the framerate drops to single digits and there's noticeable slowdown.

>> No.2504626

>>2501119

I actually think the N64 has one of the greatest libraries of all time. The amount of good games is astounding. There are definitely more good games for it than the PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii.

>> No.2504635

>>2504596
You can always rebind keys.

>> No.2504646
File: 488 KB, 499x367, doesn't make sense.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2504596
>It exists because there's no easy alternative for PC players (save from buying additional hardware, eg a joypad)

>> No.2504660

>>2504635
There's no way to rebind the move/strafe keys to something analogue in any Quake game. For something like that to exist even in theory would require some sort of pulsed input system and I'm not sure it would work at all. Also it would be pointless.

>> No.2504756
File: 2.78 MB, 640x480, q1 with a gamepad.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2504660
>There's no way to rebind the move/strafe keys to something analogue in any Quake game.
yes there is

>can bind any of 6 axes to walking/strafing/turning/looking
>can set deadzones/thresholds and sensitivities
>can invert axes

>> No.2504761

>>2501416
Saturn was arcade games, man.

>> No.2504771

The N64 didn't have all that many notable titles, but it was one hell of a platform for sleepovers.

>Sit up all night with my friends playing Smash Bros. and Gauntlet
>That 4-player versus mode and co-op

Good times...

>> No.2504806

>>2504756
How then? Clearly not "bind <analogue button> +forward".

>> No.2504821
File: 241 KB, 800x566, n64-WaveRace64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2504761
So was the N64... when it wanted to.

>> No.2504851

>>2504806
bit more complex than bind but still fairly straight-forward
have you even tried web-searching for 'quake joystick'?

>> No.2504864

As someone who grew up with a 64 as their first console, I can say it has a good library of games, but a small one.

Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Mario party/2/3
Zelda OoT/MM
Pokemon Snap/Stadium/Hey you pikachu
Starfox 64
Kirby 64
Banjo Kazooie/Twooie
Mischief makers
Conker's bad fur day
Jet force Gemini
007 Goldeneye
Glover
Goemon
Rocket on Wheels

Literally everything else is multiplat, or just not worth owning. theres some good titles here and there, but not really worth keeping a cart over.

>> No.2504871

>>2504864
agree with you for the most part, but I feel like you're missing quite a few titles that are worth owning. Off the top of my head, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, and DK64.

>> No.2504880

>>2504871
Smash is horribly out dated by newer titles. any person who you'd play locally with would rather play melle, brawl or even smash 4.

DK64 is horribly archaic and beats the collectathon into you whether you like it or not.

MK64, you got me there. but newer versions are just better overall.

>> No.2504956

>>2504864
>>2504871
>>2504880
Bomberman 64 niggas. And don't tell me you don't like it, the soundtrack is glorious for the limited sound of the N64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-ZhO2-L3Q

>> No.2505093

>>2503570
People have been calling it the PSX since the beginning, you absolute fucking retard. Also,
>IF YOU CALL IT THE PS1, YOU WEREN'T AROUND WHEN IT WAS RELEVANT BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE WHO DID OWN ONE BACK THEN TO CALL IT THAT BECAUSE I SAID SO.

>> No.2505108

>>2503570

got my PSX for xmas 1996
I was confused at first when I saw magazines referring to it as "PSX" because I always knew X was Roman Numerals for "ten" so I thought it meant "Playstation Ten"
wtf eh
but then I just rolled with it know'm sayn
le 90s kid represent

>> No.2505184

>>2505108
>wtf eh
An hero.

>> No.2505748
File: 918 KB, 640x368, goldeneye.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh shit I forgot about this thread.
>>2503430
Thank you for taking my hyperbolic statement and using it as the entire basis for the argument.

As for you saying it doesn't occur during gameplay, have a webm.

Right after I stopped recording this, I was shot in the back by a guy around the corner I passed. This is still not good game design.

>> No.2505772

The N64s library can be compared in scope and quality to the Dreamcast and the Dreamcast is considered a failed system so...

>> No.2505793

>>2505772
The Dreamcast has more games than the N64, heck, it has more games than the GameCube.

>> No.2505804

>>2505772
The Dreamcast featured a lot more awesome games than the n64 ever had, and in a way shorter lifespan.

Also the system actually supported RGB (and VGA) and looked good, especially compared to the garbage video the n64 was capable of.

>> No.2506132
File: 88 KB, 298x224, snp-9.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2505793

No, the Gamecube has 660 or so games, Dreamcast has 630 or so. Maybe if people keep releasing more unofficial Dreamcast games, eventually DC will have more games than GC, but not now.

>>2505804

"Awesome" is subjective. Although I love both N64 and Dreamcast.

>> No.2506515

Does anyone else have a problem with their N64 games freezing up after a certain period of time playing? I'm not sure if it's a console problem or game problem because some of my games freeze up sooner than others.

For example, it took Beetle Adventure Racing about 20 minutes to freeze up while it only took RR64 about 5 (Actually, the sound stopped working all of the sudden in the middle of a race about 3-4 minutes into the game. When the race ended, the replay didn't come up like it was supposed to. Instead the picture was just black and stayed that way)

>> No.2506563

>>2506515

Sounds like a console problem, N64 games don't freeze like that.

>> No.2507094

>>2505748
You appear to have just ran straight past those guys and now are wondering why they are shooting you in the back. Get a life, why did you even bother posting such a thing when you clearly don't know the first thing about the game. It's like there's some masochistic urge in you to come back here to be repeatedly dominated and abused.

>> No.2507104 [DELETED] 

>>2504880
I recommend people give DK64 a try, especially if they have a flashcart or real cartridge. Some people like me love the game and have gone through it 101% multiple times. Admittedly some hate it also.

>> No.2507109

>>2504880
I recommend people give DK64 a try, especially if it's not just emulation which is bad with this game. Some people like me love the game and have gone through it 101% multiple times. Admittedly some hate it also.

>> No.2507110

>>2506515
try cleaning your console

>> No.2507130

>>2506515
You aren't using an expansion pak right?

>> No.2507347

i particularly don't get why you compare the poor N64 console to a pc running quake. Imho PCs were always more powerful than consoles if you had the money fo master race hardware. But for a mainstream console the N64 was just as good as an PSX xbone or whatever. Especially offering 4 gamepad ports without additional hardware and 4x splitscreen action made it stand out from the rest. And boy that mario launch game .. people who had an N64 loved if for a reason, it was pretty damn awesome.

>> No.2508031

>>2507130
I think I am. Why?

>> No.2508086

The analog stick on the N64 controllers broke way to easily. The amount of good games on the system is small.

It was fun for multiplayer games. Everyone I knew that owned one when it was current only played the multiplayer games.

>> No.2508292

>>2508086
>The analog stick on the N64 controllers broke way to easily.

They don't "broke", they get loose, and it doesn't happen too easily. It's just that, in 2015, it's hard to come by a controller that isn't loose. Years of Mario Party, Smash Bros, and others didn't do good to these sticks.

>The amount of good games on the system is small.

actually the ratio of games released on the system (around 600) to the good games on it is actually pretty decent. Especially when you start digging its catalogue and expand your horizonds beyond Zelda, Mario and the popular games, there are a lot of gems to discover, especially japanese releases, etc.

>> No.2508714

>>2507130
>>2508031
Never mind. The culprit was the shitty 3rd-party Yobo Expansion Pak I was using. I put the Jumper Pak back in and RR64 is working fine now. Will games still run fine (without freezing) with a first-party Expansion Pak?

>> No.2508782

>>2501119

I had one growing up and it was a piece of shit. All it had was wrestling games.

>> No.2508945

>>2507094
>That area doesn't happen in the game!
>Yes it does, here it is.
>Y-You're just playing it wrong!
I had to kill 5 people to get in there in the first place, then two more to get down there, and from there on I was like "Fuck it, I'm just going to show the area in the video." as even more fucking guys came down that exact same hallway.

Stop moving your fucking goalposts.

>> No.2508961

>>2508945

You are a fucking lunatic. None of that makes any sense at all.

>> No.2509130

>>2508292
but you can also get replacement sticks and repair them. Aren't very cheap tho.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Joystick-N64-Controller-New-in-Box-Nintendo-64-Thumbstick-Repair-/251506836088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8ef9c278

>> No.2509148

>>2509130
>Aren't very cheap tho
You jobless fags on /vr/ think anything that cost more than a fucking penny "isn't very cheap". You realize that when you're making a product, you have to account for the raw materials to make the product and also the labor and manufacture costs? No, you don't understand anything about basic economics. You just want everything given to you for free while you do NO WORK whatsoever. YOU are the fucking Jew in this scenario, kid.

>> No.2509161 [DELETED] 

>>2508714
>Will games still run fine (without freezing) with a first-party Expansion Pak?
Not every game, some of them crash with even the 1st party Expansion Pak, it's always good to have both a Jumper Pak for the normal games and an Expansion for the exclusive game.

>> No.2509169

>>2508714
>Will games still run fine (without freezing) with a first-party Expansion Pak?
Not every game, some of them crash with even the 1st party Expansion Pak, it's always good to have both a Jumper Pak for the normal games and an Expansion for the exclusive game. If your 3rd party Expansion works fine with Perfect Dark/Majora etc. i would just keep using that.

>> No.2509214

>>2509148
i'm, 33 yo head of technical support and i'm pretty sure i'm better paid than you, so shut up faggot. It's just that everything about retro gaming is rising in prices so you always hope that there are plenty of spare parts from the past that can be sold cheap. Sure, if you have to manufacture the replacement sticks in 2015 with employes that want to be paid and factor in that a replacement stick for an N64 is rather a niche product in 2015, then yes, it will cost something. I just don't need any shiny packaging oder manual for a replacement part.

>> No.2509217

>>2509169
What do you mean "some of them crash with even the 1st party Expansion Pak"? Explain yourself. You can't just throw an outrageous claim like that out there without giving examples of when you've seen it occur and under what circumstances. I've never seen any N64 game "crash" or "glitch" period. Console games don't just "crash" without heavy maltreatment.

>> No.2509305 [DELETED] 

>>2509217
For instance Space Silicon Valley is known for crashing when using an Expansion pak, also some games like Hybrid Heaven or Castlevania Legacy of Darkness have much worse frame rate. If you haven't tested the full library with the Expansion pak nor doing some basic research you can't say that my claim is "outrageous", so calm the fuck down.

>> No.2509313

>>2509217
For instance Space Silicon Valley is known for crashing when using an Expansion pak, also some games like Hybrid Heaven or Castlevania Legacy of Darkness have much worse frame rate. If you haven't tested the full library with the Expansion pak nor doing some basic research you can't say that my claim is "outrageous", so calm the fuck down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FZ1SeNy2uE

>> No.2510471

>>2509214
And how many green rupees is that Kumar?

>>2509217
>You can't just state a well known fact and expect some kid not to demand time stamped proof from the developer.

>> No.2510812 [DELETED] 

>>2510471
It is not a well-known fact. I never experienced or saw ANY game crash EVER at any point due to the sole fact of using an N64 expansion pak, that is a ridiculous idea. Maybe 20 years later some N64s aren't working properly, that's a completely different thing. I did a brief look online and there's nothing about an expansion pak making aging hardware more likely to malfunction or anything similar to that in any way. It's just bullshit to just claim that first part Nintendo equipment would ever simply "crash" for no apparent reason.

>> No.2510817 [DELETED] 

>>2510812
samefag, also it is highly rare that a N64 or game won't work period. The hardware is reliable. God forbid I inject a little accuracy in the discussion instead of just making shit up as I please.

>> No.2510823 [DELETED] 

>>2510812
SSSV's crashing with the expansion pak is very well documented and has nothing to do with age. If I remembered the specific issue and felt like digging it out I know there's a GamePro from pretty much around the time the game came out that had a Watch Dog or whatever that article was called that told you not to use the expansion pak with the game.

>> No.2510886

>>2510471
It's not "well known", and however much it is known is not from ever having experienced it happening but just from reading about this strange thing that happens in one or two obscure games that most people will never, ever dream of playing. It is not a 'thing' that occurs. You can go your entire lifetime and be totally into the N64 and not have a single "crash" ever. Crashing is what happens on an old PC, or it happens occasionally on systems like playstations or xboxs. It's not something that happens with old Nintendo hardware except extremely rarely and/or with faulty equipment. If you come in here mentioning "crashing", people are going to think that's something that happens regularly. Nintendo's hardware is generally super reliable and ages really well.

>> No.2511560

>>2510886
It's well known to everyone except one kid on /vr/ who has gone his entire 12 year lifetime without having the N64 crash in the 6 months he has been totally into it.

>> No.2512120

>>2504864
Everyone forgets Ogre Battle 64.

>> No.2513223

>>2511560
I'm 30, had an N64 since I was about 12 and have never in my entire lifetime heard of it.

Have fun with your delusion s.

>> No.2513319

>>2511560
>>2509313
>>2509169
Every US game plays fine with the expansion pak.

You mention high rez mode. The only games that have done it well are the rare titles. Homebrew games and most the other games that have a letterbox mode have batshit insane horizontal sync values.

Not sure if you actually touch hardware or are just a trolling idiot. But you don't need to use high rez mode.

>> No.2513476

>>2513223
How does any of that make you and expert or even knowledgeable on the subject? Don't you realize how stupid you look saying you've had a N64 so long and a really into it and don't know something that nearly every other person ITT

>>2513319
None of the posts you quoted mention high rez mode. Also good to know you tested every US game with the expansion pak. Or was that your dad who works at Nintendo. top kek kid.

>> No.2513491

>>2513476
>None of the posts you quoted mention high rez mode
Can't you not read? >>2509313 linked a video comparing the normal game to high rez mode.

>top kek kid.
Oh you're a kid from /v/. No wonder you can't read.

>> No.2513559

>>2513476
No I don't agree I am stupid or "look stupid" because I didn't know that.

That's a thing with little shitheads like you isn't it, always pretend you know everything and look up google if you don't so you can read about it and you don't "look stupid". Congratulations, you can read. You're a fool, a fool, and no you will never in the future be redeemable from being that retarded even though you're probably only 14.

>> No.2514583

>>2501119
>I mean, you've got the best version of DOOM.
Nice troll

>> No.2514608

>>2501132
>Better
>has less than half the games the PSX did, less than 1/4 the genres and couldn't touch what was available on PC at the time
OK...

>> No.2514615

>>2501141
I love it when people bring up shovelware on PSX, but totally overlook it on the N64. Not to mention totally overlook the fact that PSX still had more good games available for it and had a larger impact on gaming as a whole at the time.

>> No.2514624

>>2506132
>No, the Gamecube has 660 or so games, Dreamcast has 630 or so.

I think he meant GOOD ones

>> No.2514631

>>2501286

>Nintendo fans very frequently ONLY buy Nintendo products
>literally every Crash Bandicoot thread in the entire history of the internet gets invaded by N64 fanbois ranting about Mario 64
>A Nintendo platform gets a generic TPS (RE4), and it's hailed as literally the best game ever made
>Nintendo fans frequently generalize and attempt to undermine genres that they get very little of, like RPGs, Fighting games, Horror, ect and act that they don't matter to anyone because Nintendo doesn't have many of them
>kiddie, generic RPG (Paper Mario) gets released and is hailed as the absolute best RPG ever made, bar none.
>Nintendo fans constantly making claims that popular games released on non Nintendo platforms are garbage, despite evidence to the contrary
>"Oh yeah? Well I have MARIO!"

Do you see it now? This is the reality of Nintendo fandom. It's a bunch of sheltered and frequently jealous idiots ranting about dumbass shit on sites like this.
YOU may not be that bad (you really are though) but the rest of the big N's fanes most assuredly ARE.

>> No.2514636

>>2514631
People that bitch about Nintendofans are just as bad if not worse.

>> No.2514645

>>2501309
You don't wanna play ID4 or blasto? OK then, I'll keep Tomb Raider 1-5, Resident Evil 1 and 3, Tekken 3, FFI-IX, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Twisted Metal 1 and 2, The Ridge Racer series, GT 1 and 2, MGS, Tenchu 1 and 2, Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Darkstalkers 3, Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Spyro series, Fear Effect 1 and 2, Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Brave Fencer Musashi, FFTactics, Vandel Hearts, the NFS series, Megaman X4-X6, Megaman Legends 2, Tail Concerto, and about a hundred other awesome games all to myself then asshole.

>> No.2514649

>>2514636
You could say that about any fanbase though. Like if I was a segafag who bitched about PCfags. That's literally just as bad, right?

I answered a moronic generalization with specific examples that proved it wrong. Get the fuck over it kiddo.

>> No.2514652

>>2501347
>I used my PSX for bad anime games

Well there's your problem kid...

>> No.2514653

>>2514649
There's a fanbase just for hating "Nintenddrones", "Nintoddles", etc.

>> No.2514654

N64 is a solid system, Nintendo really did a good job imo with the actual hardware itself. Really impressive stuff for a home console in 1997.

>> No.2514673

>>2514653
Meh, I'll give you that, but every console company has that though. Granted, Sega has arguably the smallest group of haters, but every Saturn thread has "that guy" who pops in just to tell everyone that the Saturn had bad games or what have you.
Sony gets it just as bad as Nintendo these days. You can't openly be a Sony fan on /v/, without getting your thread shit posted to fucking oblivion. Nintendo fans can at least have their fun for a little while.

And the fact remains that I saw a moronic generalization, and proved it wrong with examples that I have seen myself for fucking YEARS. So do try to get over it.

>> No.2514679

>>2514673
Well I don't know how anyone is a fan of modern consoles. But that's me.
Different anon from the guy you were talking to originally. I was just pointing out that the Nintendo hateclub is rather large.

>> No.2514701

>>2514673
>sega has arguably the smallest group of haters
On /vr/, sure. People shit on Sega all the time, elsewhere.

>> No.2514757

>>2514624

XD!

>>2514631

I think it's the other way around, you seem upset (and paranoid) about people enjoying Nintendo stuff. All I see in your greentext is paranoid assumptions, generalizations and hyperbolic nonsense about nintendo fans being this and that.
Fans in general are annoying. Yes, there are dense Nintendo motherfuckers, the same way there are dense Sony motherfuckers (which are more evident now han ever before, now that kids who grew up with nothing but Sony systems are in their 20s and posting on the internet about their nostalgia, just like Nintendo/Sega fans did before).
Pro tip: you can enjoy Nintendo while still enjoying Sega, Sony, PC stuff.

>> No.2517385

>>2502414
I had a PC at the time and had Quake, Goldeneye blew everything else away.