[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 13 KB, 400x251, 1426991094678.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2481816 No.2481816 [Reply] [Original]

How do you do it?

I assume most of you guys are employed full-time and married with children. So how do you find the time for retro gaming? Are you emulating stuff on your handheld and get a cheeky session in between meetings? Do you have a set dad time, like Saturday nights, when it's just you and your Atari? Does your job pay so well you can afford taking a day off every week to indulge in your hobby? Or do you just actually not game anymore and post here for old times' sake?

Legit curious. I'm kind of at a crossroads personally, and I'm wondering if it's time to let go or if there's ways to keep the fire burning.

>> No.2481828

>>2481816
>Or do you just actually not game anymore and post here for old times' sake?
mostly this, unfortunately.

but it's mostly due to my family moving into a new house. bit of a fixer-upper, if you will. before moving, while still in an apartment, i'd get to play an hour every few days at night after the kiddo was asleep.

this weekend though, my son is at my mother-in-law's so the wife and i will be playing some co-op snes/genesis games. or maybe i'll force her to play some intellivision or atari games.

>inb4 my wife/retron v

>> No.2481829

>>2481816
>married with children
Death sentence

It's an easy hobby to maintain without a wife and/or kids. With it though, I can't see how, nor do I see any reason one would ever want to become married or to have kids.

You (in my mind at least) lose all of your free time with a wife and kids. All of it. What you become is an enabler for your wife and kids to have free time. You sacrifice your own free time so that your wife and kids may have their own free time. This results in you actually spending very little time to your own devices, and likely very little time with the kids and wife you're supporting.

Why would someone choose to do that?

>> No.2481832

>I assume most of you guys are employed full-time and married with children.

This would be a fairly inaccurate assumption to make about most here I feel like.

I have a wife and two kids though, and I just play on my days off if I even feel like it. My kids are old enough that "spending time with dad" isn't exactly as cool as it used to be, so I don't have to worry about that. It does hurt when those little fuckers grow up though...

>> No.2481835

No job
No gf

>> No.2481837

>>2481829
How is having a wife and kids a death sentence to gaming? I swear I've played more vidya since my kids have been born than ever before just because they wanted to play them with me or simply just watch me play.

Don't tell me you expect me to marry a woman that doesn't like me playing vidya?

>> No.2481842 [SPOILER] 
File: 134 KB, 960x534, 1434737329592.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2481816
Where in the fuck you think you are?

I cant talk for the ¨married¨ dudes, but i believe that if gaming interferes with the family you just let the gaming go and play in your retirement.
Luckily i am 22 years old, work 8 hours a day from Monday to Friday and have my entire weekend for myself. So yhea:
>having a family.

>> No.2481848

>>2481816

No wife, no kids. I only collect for gameboy. I just keep gb pocket stashed at work. Take it out between customers

>> No.2481851

>>2481842
>Where in the fuck you think you are?
A board with mostly ~30ish years old dudes. "most" was probably wrong but 2/6 posters have kids as it seems.

>> No.2481859

>>2481816
I'm not married that alone helps.

>> No.2481861

Work at retro game shop. I don't even own the shop so I don't have to worry about it being an unprofitable business. I'm happy with my life.

>> No.2481868

>>2481837
>to gaming?
I didn't say "to gaming", I mostly mean to free time in general. You become obligated to other people, probably spending lots of time doing shit you don't want to for people who don't appreciate it (kids, probably wife)

Props for marrying a vidya girl, but I don't think that's the norm, and my posts are merely expressions of my uninformed opinion as I am not married and do not have kids. I did have a girlfriend for 5 years though, and that 5 years was the most barren in terms of vidya playing

>> No.2481872 [SPOILER] 
File: 114 KB, 800x600, 1434737965634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2481816
Oldfag thread?

I somehow weasled my way into a management position at an indie music distribution company. The majority of my work is spent fucking off online, like right now. I listen to music, fart around in Access, and browse ebay and Yahoo JP auctions. I find myself getting more pleasure from spending money on games than actually playing them, sad but true. I just don't have the time when I'm at home.

My collection was already done by the time I got married, four years ago. I have a sort of man cave in our basement, it's where we watch movies, I don't have all bunch of consoles on display or anything (hundreds of games in Rubbermaid containers tho). She's not a gamer at all, though she gets into stuff like Wii tennis or really casual multiplayer stuff with friends. She doesn't henpeck me or anything, but definitely sees games as a minor hobby, which is fine. She has her knitting.

If she's home, I try to do other shit around the house like work on the yard or whatever instead of playing vidya. Sometimes I just head down to a bar by myself and play pinball all night. If my wife is out for some reason, then I'm in the basement playing games all night. The best is when I'm able to get a couple six packs, some ribs, and me and my dog chill out together and play Street Fighter or something competitive online.

I wish I had more time to play, but I try and enjoy the time I do have. I can't put up with shit like Final Fantasy anymore, both the length and ny more nd the terrible anime stories. I play a lot of fighters and puzzle games, really anything not too involved. I realize talking about my wife makes me a cuck or whatever, but anyone who's married knows it's a lot of give and take. The goal is to try to irritate the other person as little as possible.

not retro, but here's my dog.

>> No.2481876

>>2481868
Yeah here's a tip from a married guy to an ill informed non married guy.

Don't fucking marry someone or be with them if you're going to be miserable with them. It's that simple. So many guys get with the girl and then just give up everything the enjoy because they're getting pussy and think they can't do any better. You don't have to fucking do that.

>> No.2481883

>>2481872
Why did you marry someone that doesn't want you to enjoy the things you do?

>> No.2481901

As a 36 year old married dude, I find it's not so much that I have less time for video games but that I have so much more to do in life, I have so much more freedom to do things. I can fly down to Vegas for the weekend if I want, go hiking or camping, head to the beach, buy a new grill and BBQ all weekend (starting tomorrow!), go shoot guns with my brother, etc. There's so many more options. When I was all kid I played video games 24/7 because there wasn't all nothing else to do, I had no mobility or control over things.

>> No.2481902

>>2481876
>going to be miserable with them
I mean, some of those years were the most fun of my life even without vidya. She didn't nag me for my vidya, it just became us like watching a movie together instead or having drinks with some friends, which isn't bad it just isn't vidya

Also, before we got together she did play vidya. Always talked about how she loved Mario and she would play Guitar Hero when I'd play with my bros. She really sucked at Mario though, and that should have been a red flag, to suck at something she supposedly loved. It was a bait and switch kinda thing, where she played vidya before we got together and in the beginning, then afterwards she couldn't be bothered to play any. Now, I just don't bother with girls except for one thing

>> No.2481907

>>2481902
>Always talked about how she loved Mario
Yeah she was just trying to make a connection with some of your interests. She didn't play vidya.

>> No.2481908

>>2481901
So why are you here? Not trying to be snarky, but what keeps you coming back to this place? What's the kind of things you talk about here?

>> No.2481910

>>2481883
She is fine with it, she grew up with a NES, she's just not a gamer now. She'll sit and watch while she's knitting or on her laptop. I just try and respect our shared time together by not sitting in the basement playing Mega Man by myself. I try and bridge the gap by bringing her to Geek Trivia Night at a local bar or going to barcades.

>> No.2481915

>>2481908
What else am I gonna do while I'm at work? I still love video games, I just spend more time reading and discussing them now than actually playing them.

>> No.2481917

>>2481907
And it took a good 1 year+ to find that out. Never again, man

>> No.2481919 [DELETED] 

>>2481816
I'm 15, so I usually just automatically assume everyone I see on the internet is around my age.
This is the first time I stop to think that the people in /vr/ are around 30.
That was a lot more surprising to me than it should've been.

>> No.2481924

>>2481910
You said yourself that when she's at home you try to find something else to do, like work in the yard. That isn't making "together time." That's finding anything else possible so that you're not seen just playing vidya. Are you made to feel bad because you like playing? What does she do when you're both at home?

>> No.2481927
File: 141 KB, 826x628, crb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2481915
>>2481872
God damn how did you people find these jobs.

>> No.2481929

Not married but I work every day and it's not hard to play games either before or after work. Most of my free time is either spent attending smash tournaments or playing my SNES and I still make time to maintain friendships and earn enough money.

Making time isn't hard if you have decent time management skills

>> No.2481930

>>2481919
Bye anon.

>> No.2481931

You must be at least 18 to post here. Please leave. I really hope you get banned anyway.

>> No.2481935

>>2481930
>>2481931
Goodbye my friends

>> No.2481940

pro tip from a married guy:

don't marry a girl unless she loves you more than you love her.

>> No.2481942

>>2481927
college

>> No.2481943

>>2481927
Not either of those anons, but I own an air conditioning repair company. I only work a handful of hours a week, and sometimes just get a worker to go do the work for me.
Went to tech school for two years for refrigeration technology.

>> No.2481945

>>2481872
>If she's home, I try to do other shit around the house like work on the yard or whatever
>Sometimes I just head down to a bar by myself and play pinball all night
I mean no offense and I don't want to shatter your world or anything, and hell maybe you even enjoy it so fuck me right?, but that sounds absolutely fucking miserable and maybe you should re-revaluate things

>>2481927
I'm not them, but for the last 6 months I went to work and did probably 12 hours of work each week and I read (no vidya allowed) for the other 28 hours. It was fucking magical and it was just dumb fucking luck. A lot of people got laid off though, myself included, so now I need to find something else when I just had the perfect setup

>> No.2481954

>>2481945
>>2481924
Hey no reason to put a fellow retrobro down. Him doin his thing doesn't devaluate yours. You're cool, he's cool, we're all cool.

>> No.2481956

You know how sometimes when you're playing games from your childhood you get to briefly tune into that feeling of childhood? Like you can get distracted enough and in the same zone to be able to forget work and death and taxes?

Well having kids also let's you do that, vicariously through them and introducing them to the same games you lived and watching them share that same experience with the childhood you is worth giving up a lot of your own time for.

Your parents will die and your friends will move on but the family you make for yourself with you as the head should be able to lay until is your turn to die and that's a good thing.

Just don't have kids with some bitch you can't trust.

>> No.2481959

>>2481935
Don't be sad, you can still lurk.

>> No.2481960

>>2481816
I come for old times sake. Wife, kid, career, mortgage, etc. all take precedence. Hell, even the dogs need to walk.

I sometimes get in a bit of retro gaming but that's rare. It's taken me months to make any progress in GBA'S FF4. My gaming is exclusively emulated on an old android phone hooked up to a ps3 controller.

I come for nostalgia, do not care about the emulation vs hardware argument and find people with strong opinions on the subject off putting. Same with those arguing about CRTs.

>> No.2481963

>>2481919
4chan.org/rules

>> No.2481970

>>2481945
>that sounds absolutely fucking miserable and maybe you should re-revaluate things
I guess it sounds more dire than it really is, ha ha. A good marriage is a lot of work, both in terms of the emotional stuff and the time and physical energy. I try and show her that I value our shared life by doing things that are good for it, like working on the house or cars, or just spending time doing something together. And then there's times where you just need some alone time, and in a good relationship both people understand that. That's when I take the dog down to the bar. Really our life together is better than anything I could have hoped for, when times are good they're really, really good. I still play a lot of vidya, just not all day errr day.

>> No.2481972
File: 21 KB, 560x516, feelhug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2481902
>this whole post
Right in the feels

>> No.2481973

I've posted already, but I just have to say this.

Gaming is something I love. It gives me happiness. Because of that I FIND time to play. Fuck living your life not doing things that you want to do. If my wife wanted me to not play games anymore for whatever reason, then I would leave her simple as that. That isn't saying I don't love her. It's just saying that I need to be with someone that respects what I enjoy. Luckily she does.

>> No.2481979

>>2481970
>A good marriage is a lot of work
This just isn't true. A good marriage should be absolutely effortless.
I'm really not trying to tear you down, but I've been married for 13 years man. I'm 38 years old. You sound like if you aren't already then you're very close to the verge of being pretty miserable.

>> No.2481980

>>2481970
>I guess it sounds more dire than it really is, ha ha
That's what I hoped. And I do understand about relationships and people needing their separate time. The phrasing and it being in type on the internet, ya know? Was only looking out for a bro just in case

>> No.2481985
File: 14 KB, 225x225, 1412075465898.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Househusband

>> No.2481994

>>2481816
kek

No, I'm a college student who plays on my laptop between (and, let's be honest, during) classes. When I'm at school I've got my genesis hooked up to the tv in the living room, and I'll play that on occasion as well. If I'm up until 7 doing homework and have class at 10, I'll take an hour to dick around and play some vidya instead of wasting my time sleeping.

>> No.2482000

>>2481901
This too. Life is a lot more interesting than just video games. They get pushed back as life takes the fore front.

Still love my games but I love my wife, out son and our adventures too.

>> No.2482002
File: 31 KB, 360x543, tmp_14422-p121018346694.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's nothing I could write that could express what I feel like this image can.

>> No.2482004

>>2482000
Good for you but this isn't the wife and family board and this discussion is useless, you wasted precious gaming time writing this shit out and responding to it, go play with your son instead of neglecting him to shitpost on am anima website

>> No.2482014

I'm 29, single and no kids.

I worked hard through ages 21 to 27, bought a terrain and constructed a few houses in a touristic place in mycountry.
I live off rent right now, so I don't have to work.

I spend more time discussing videogames than actually playing them though.

>> No.2482019

I'm about a month over 3 years until legit wizardry, so yeah. That being said, I'm a student (again) and spend a lot of my time working on artistic endeavors, for money, fun, and school stuff, so I honestly don't play a whole lot of games. I think this is in part why I enjoy collecting since it doesn't eat up much time and still makes me happy. Before I get blasted as a nostalgiafag or trend hopper or whatnot, I've kept my games since childhood and started a focus on collecting imports back in the early 2000s. I took some years off to collect other stuff like doujinshi and arcade PCBs, but I never really "moved on" from old games so there really isn't a clear "stuff I did as a child that came to a distinch end 13 years ago" feeling to pursue.

I can't imagine getting married. It just seems like so much time for work and fun and privacy would be lost, which are some of the things that I value greatly. The only way I could imagine it would be to marry a female version of myself.

>> No.2482020

>>2482014
Is land and construction super cheap in your country or were you just really well paid?

>> No.2482023

>>2482004
Why does the fact that someone can have a myriad of interests and still enjoy gaming while having the love of a family arouse such a hostile response?

>> No.2482025

https://stallman.org/articles/children.html

Good read tbh

Can't find that email he wrote telling off people who made birth announcements but it was great too

>> No.2482029

>>2482023
It's not a hostile response at all, but his post is simply off topic, it has nothing to do with video games at all, he's just asking for time management advise. He can go to a self-help forum if he wants to.

>> No.2482034
File: 109 KB, 465x800, 1430340542464.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2482025
>stallman

>>2482029
Come on dude, this thread is only tangentially related to games (it's related to gamers though). You come across as someone whose lifestyle is awkwardly dependent on the approval of others.

>> No.2482035

>>2482019
>I can't imagine getting married. It just seems like so much time for work and fun and privacy would be lost
This is only somewhat true. Marriage provides its own unique challenges, benefits, and pleasures which some people consider worth the tradeoff. I'm basically married to my best friend; she loves horror movies, beer, cars and "plays" The Walking Dead games with me. Not to mention all the good times I have sitting on her face . Next month we're hiking the Pacific Crest trail together which I can't imagine doing alone.

>> No.2482036

>>2481935
See you after you restart your router

>> No.2482037

>>2481816
I'm not married, but my friends with families have some sort of console out at all times. The wives that don't really game use PS3/360 or whatever for Netflix and Youtube on a big screen. Several times a year depending on our schedules we will all get together at someones house for a LAN party.

>> No.2482041

>>2482035
>Not to mention all the good times I have sitting on her face.
made me laugh

>> No.2482042

>>2482029
Ok. I guess then the same logic applies to you, WHY YOU WASTING TIME WRITING A RESPONSE WHEN YOU COULD BE GAMING. sorry for yelling.

I think he is just asking some people with similar interests how they find time for their hobby. It seems the demographics range from full on wizards to full time family men. The wizards have the most time, I imagone between furious bouts of masturbation.

>> No.2482043

>>2482034
It really is off-topic no amount of pseudo-intellectual projecting can change that.

>> No.2482045

>>2482025
It always surprises me how many people don't realize that the human population isn't evenly distributed across the world. Low birth rates in developed countries don't mean low birth rates in developing countries.

>> No.2482046

>>2482042
>caps and insults

It's terrifying to me that people this immature are raising the next generation. We're fucked.

>> No.2482047

>>2481956
based anon

>> No.2482049

>>2482025
>>2482025
The one where he says "sorry to here that" when someone says they had a new baby? The one where he says "It doesn’t take special talents to reproduce—even plants can do it. On the other hand, contributing to a program like Emacs takes real skill. That is really something to be proud of."

Yeah it's totally true too but it's amazing how much butthurt it caused and still causes to this day. Tech news sites STILL drag it out when they want to show what what a big mean sperg Stallman is, usually after he criticizes their work. Petty really.

>> No.2482052

>>2482046
Wow man, you're really a bundle of joy, aren't you.

>> No.2482058

>not wanting to married means you're a virgin

Where did this come from? You don't lock your self up with the farmer who gives you food why bind yourself with the person provides sex?

>> No.2482059

>>2482025
I love Stallman, but he's only half right here. In a few decades, Europe and America will have such elderly populations that their state functions will be unmanageable. Somebody high up had the bright idea of opening the borders to uneducated boat people, as if people who don't know how to use toilets or cutlery will be able to make a net positive contribution before they too are old enough to require state assistance. We have a duty to look after ourselves, and that means creating our own people to do it.

>> No.2482065

>>2482046
Shouldn't you be gaming? Or composing a post about some obscure JPRG?

>> No.2482067

>>2482059
Let's not turn this into /pol/ light, okay.

>> No.2482071

>>2482052
Not really making me feel any better, how are you going to be a good father with this kind of attitude, you're just going to raise more weak, limp wristed manchildren like yourself

>> No.2482084

>>2482071
If anyone has a strong wrist, it's a wizard and his mighty arm of self pleasure

>> No.2482085

>>2482058
Because people like to think they have some moral high ground just because they have some little shit running around, they think that settling down with someone they settled for is better then living for themselves. Their loss

>> No.2482087

>>2482084
You assume I'm a virgin just because I insulted you, it's possible there are more than 2 types of people here

>> No.2482097

Okay, this has turned weird. I wanted to know how fellow /vr/ folks is finding time for our shared hobby, and it's met with HERE READ THIS RICHARD STALLMAN TRACTATE ON WHY YOU'RE WRONG and twenty-somethings telling me they've got it all figured out.

I think this thread has run its course, thanks for the replies.

>> No.2482101
File: 336 KB, 1308x1636, 1408200466547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2482067
/pol/ was good fun for a while but I can't stand their ilk any more. They don't care about nationhood or fraternity, all they are concerned with is their freedom to be sociopaths. If I had a gas chamber their lot would be first in line. Don't worry, the Jews would be second.

>> No.2482103

>>2482084
I empathize with wizards, but I honestly feel like you have to go out of your way to not get laid by age 30. I dunno, maybe he has crippling depression or phobias.

I'm 34 and divorced, but on good terms. I really, really enjoy having my free time and all my money back (no kids, no-fault state). Back to playing vidya whenever and the occasional date. I feel like a lot of women now are totally fine with, even love video games. Everyone grew up with it. If you can't enjoy each others hobbies together, something is wrong.

>> No.2482106

>>2482087
Not an insult, a joke. My apologies. I am sure your wrist is as weak as any man's with a regular sex life.

>> No.2482108

>>2482101
A few days ago I was watching an anime, and the leaves on a tree in the background had a shape that resembled the happy merchant. /pol/ was right all along.

>> No.2482172

>>2481816
I have a "set" time, I just don't have kids. I get the weekends off, me and my wife like to game some at night too since I work a "9 to 5" job(it's more like 7-3), I also get paid enough even if my knees are going to be destroyed by the time I'm 40. I work in construction in NYC, get paid 135k yearly after taxes, when I take the weekends off, so that means no overtime

>> No.2482185

>>2481816
The next time you think about coming to post on 4chan, go play a video game instead.

One of my friends is married with two kids (one of which is 2) and still finds time to play vidya.

>> No.2482231

married in my 30s here. no kids, thank god.

i travel a lot for work so i'll always take my laptop, or a 3ds or some handheld if i'm playing something on that. quite time in the hotel = quality vidya time.

i'll also play some if i get up early in the morning, or if my wife is watching the fucking kardashians or some shit movie i don't want to watch.

the only bummer is that it's tough to get into RPGs nowadays, especially the more "involving" ones like Wizardry. I will play a lot of strategy games these days like HOMM3 or Master of Magic, which I can play and beat scenarios in a night, or hop right back in after a period of time and remember what is going on.

>> No.2482243

I'm a 21 yo NEET, and most of my "retro" experience is actually from emulation. I used to collect stuff years ago, but I don't have the space or the money for it anymore.

>> No.2482248

>>2482231
>if my wife is watching the fucking kardashians or some shit movie i don't want to watch.
I torrent whole seasons of Project Runway for my wife and use that as a bargaining chip. Hah. RPGs are totally impossible for me anymore, unless they have some sort of journal or something telling me what the hell is going on. I've started and not finished more games over the last few years...

>> No.2482275
File: 81 KB, 1006x930, 1371062705941.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I assume most of you guys are employed full-time and married with children

>> No.2482279

>>2482101
I rarely go to /pol, but they seem to be a collection of alarmists (remember ebola? lol), ironic conspirators/hatemongers, internet edgelords, and probably a few legit loons. In a way I guess you could equate it to old pre-late 2006 /b, but to me back then the site seemed sillier and more of a people blowing off steam by fucking around on the internet, but ever since the WE DO NOT FORGIVE WE DO NOT FORGET perhaps being taken as an actual belief, I start to question how many people on here actually take this internet shitposting stuff seriously and genuinely believe they are some sort of freedom fighters against a massive Jewish conspiracy.

>> No.2482386
File: 122 KB, 600x375, diablo-gamer-couple-600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can't really get into lengthy RPGs me neither: I don't have enough time. I end up delaying buying games I want to play because I would not have time to play them anyways on launch day. Because I delay, I can wait for when they have a discount. I don't care playing them months or years after their release.

I play on my home console when my wife is out having fun with her friends and play on my portable console while she watches some TV (I sit next to her). Sometimes we play easy co-op games like Kirby. She does like games, but she's not really good at it. She even asked me to buy her a flashcard and she plays oldschool Tetris on GB and Profesor Layton on NDS.

My gaming backlog has never been this full. I have to give up on games I'd like to play and prioritize games I must play.

I hope that someday (maybe after retirement?) I get to play all those games I missed.

I dream of:
- being able to get similar powers as the Flash just to be able to do more things in 24 h;
- find a way to comepletely eliminate my need to sleep;
- the creation of a device, similar to the one in the manhwa Yureka, which basically lets you play a game while you are asleep.

Future plans: pay for cryopreservation services for my eventual "revival" (I use quotation marks because, nowadays, the definition of being "dead" is changing, specially in cryonics studies), if everything goes well, and get back on track with my backlog. I would have lived my "first life" married, with kids; on my "second life", I will be single, jerking and/or maybe dating.

>TL;DR
>I play whenever I can, sometimes even with wife
>gaming backlog is overflowed; prioritizing specific "must play" games; no lengthy RPGs
>something about having super powers (like the Flash) or a technological device and being able to play more games
>one lifetime is not enough so I'll cryopreserve the shit outta me to play more games after "revival"

>> No.2482409

I play games with my wife. We don't have a Retron 5, though.

Most married guys manage to do stuff other than sit around and be married.

>> No.2482415

>>2482409
(Replying to my own post)

To put this into perspective, anybody read crpgaddict's blog? He's married and I think he plays games more than I did when I was ten, and blogs about it. Maybe you guys sleep too much or have too many friends.

>> No.2482421

>>2482386
I'm self employed but have no significant other currently.

I basically do my work, and after dinner and walking my dogs I just sit back and play video games from 9pm-1am ish.

I can understand it being way harder if you have a significant other or kids but thats what you signed up for. People are inherently complex and you signed up for a lifetime with a complex person. I'm not saying you should spend all your waking time together, but you're going to have a shitload less time by yourself to do anything you want, its just the nature of a relationship.

I don't think I'll ever get married because I hate the idea of living with someone else and being forced to do things I dont want to do to make them happy. But thats just me.

>> No.2482453

I don't play any of my games, I just buy them and put them on my shelves and say to myself that I will play them tomorow. I spend much more time posting on 4chan than actually playing.

It makes me question even keeping these games.

What happen to me.... how did I lose my passion.

>> No.2482457

>>2481829
Sex. The perverse games you can play having know each other for a long time. Beats gaming ... or most games anyhow.

>> No.2482463

>>2482457
I've been married for 13 years.

Sex is massively overrated.

>> No.2482484
File: 101 KB, 375x500, rpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2482415
>Maybe you guys sleep too much or have too many friends.
We have different needs in terms of sleep time and, in my defense, I used to see once a month or less my best friend and the other ones twice a year to, mostly, play games. Now, I moved to another country and I'm not a social person so I basically have zero friends here (I'm not complaining).

>>2482421
>I can understand it being way harder if you have a significant other or kids but thats what you signed up for.
I know. And I'm not saying I feel unhappy or anything like that. She brings me a different kind of happiness that games could never. I CHOSE to be with her and I knew it meant I would have less time for games, but it also means I get company, love, a new friendship, an ally, understanding, sex, a caregiver if and when I get really sick and the ability to make my own real life party/guild (wife + kids). I'm playing my own fucking RPG as we speak!

>> No.2482486

>>2482457
>>2482463
>Have girlfriend of going on 7 years
>She has her own apartment and I have my own house
>She enjoys her apartment because its close to work
>I enjoy my house because its comfortable and in a quiet neighborhood, and I work from home
>She comes over Friday through Sunday nights and I occasionally spend nights at her place throughout the week
>No desire to change anything

I'm honestly surprised shes never brought up marriage or moving into my house. Its pretty much a perfect arrangement for me, and I guess for her as well. She doesn't want kids and neither do I. I've even considered a vasectomy.

I can assure you a lot of time sex is more a thing you do because its there, just like jerking off. I jerk it when I got a spare 15 minutes just to get it out of my system. Sure, its usually better if shes really into it, but its a shitload more work instead of just quickly cranking one out.

>> No.2482490

>>2481837
This. I decided to boot up the 64 the other day and was playing Blast Corps with my 3 year old. It was so much fun, I sort of got to relive the experience through her, watching how excited she got as she demolished everything in her path

>> No.2482495

>>2482457
>>2482463
I do agree that sex is overrated. So are women/girlfriends/wives.

>> No.2482523

>>2482421
>I can understand it being way harder if you have a significant other or kids but thats what you signed up for
I don't really see anyone complaining beyond some gentle ribbing. For me the benefits of having a partner outweigh the negatives, even if it means I have to make time for video games. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be single again, but then I remember how lonely it can be. Whatever works for you. I'm glad you're happy with your dogs.

>>2482463
>Sex is massively overrated.
So are video games, but I still play them every day.

>> No.2482527

>>2482490
Man, that sounds awesome. Gotta remember that game when I have a kid.

>>2482486
You may want to put a ring on that? I don't know. Maybe she's waiting for you to say something. The extra money from your tax return can go towards video games.

>> No.2482692

>>2482463
>not pissing on each other
why live?

>> No.2482696

18 year old NEET, started playing retro games since 12 years old, mainly thanks to how I grew up with a game boy color, G&W, super nintendo, N64 etc. because my big brother gave them all to me (except for the N64 which he switched with a PS1 I got in a birthday). I'm awful at managing my time, and I waste most of my day doing stupid shit, despite having several PC-98 and PS1 roms to play through. I guess learning enough japanese to play shitty porn games and JRPGs was the only thing I did right so far.

>> No.2482697

>>2482527
Im sure we'll at least move in together at some point. But why fuck up a good thing? When it happens it happens. I like things the way they are now and so doe she.

Plus, its nice to have virtually no commitments. If we get tired of each other we just walk away. Thats something that can't be said for other kinds of relationships.

>> No.2482747
File: 2 KB, 200x40, children.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>children

>> No.2482769

I think the reaction you got to this thread is do entirely because you misjudged the demographic wildly, most people here are still in their early 20's

>> No.2482795

I'm a neet, and regrettably I enjoy talking about videogames much more than actually playing them.

The enjoyment simply isn't there anymore, even if I do try playing, so I guess it's time to move on to other things.

>> No.2482805

>>2482795
Taking a break from 4chan and other forums you go to and actually playing games may help a bit.

>> No.2482807

I work but no gf, honestly i had those and i prefer being on my own to do my own shit. So unless i meet one with similar interests im not going to bother.

And no spare cash so i emulate/pirate everything but online games

>> No.2482873

>>2481829
> You (in my mind at least) lose all of your free time with a wife and kids. All of it. What you become is an enabler for your wife and kids to have free time. You sacrifice your own free time so that your wife and kids may have their own free time. This results in you actually spending very little time to your own devices, and likely very little time with the kids and wife you're supporting.

this is true if you have kids, but not really if you are either just married or in a very LTR.

my wife and i are not joined at the hip. we like going out doing stuff together, but i have plenty of alone time.

there's also very little financial pressure since both of us work well-paying jobs, and if someone's job gets canned we're not fucked.

i also haven't cooked, done laundry, or dishes in probably 4 years.

>> No.2482973
File: 417 KB, 1276x930, mai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread
for a second I thought I had entered /r/cringe

>> No.2482994

>>2481828
ayyy boyo, spleet here, I'm assuming you are who I think you are. If so, I hope the intellivision and atari are treating you and the fam well!

>> No.2483116

I pay for escorts on backpage, and work a job where I deliver stuff around an area. I'll usually spend nights away from my house I inherited from my parents. I fell into a lot of stuff like my job and a free house out of luck imo. I'm off on weekends so I spend my time doing the swap meet(flea market)/thrift store stuff. For me the collection started as a way to get back what I had as a kid.

I had girlfriends, but right now I'm focused on my job and vidya. I'm 29. Maybe when I'm 40 I'll consider kids and a wife. Right now though I'm a scavenger for retro games. I'm have the time and money... So why not?

That's how game chasing go.

>> No.2483140

>>2483116
>escorts
My nigga.

Even my brother who's a police officer and married said if he was single again he'd probably use escorts.

You just get to do what you want, no bullshit games and its gaurenteed.

>> No.2483197

Not having any other hobby helps.

>> No.2483252 [DELETED] 

>>2481816

What the hell website does OP think he's on?

>> No.2483272

just WATCH video games instead of playing them

I've never been more excited about retro video games, but I've never played video games less in my life.

when I think back on the brutally hard video games I played on NES and genesis, I rarely enjoyed myself. I just wanted to get to the next level to SEE it.

and I'd get furious. I'd throw controllers and yell swear words and my parents would yell at me and threaten to take the video games away.

what the fuck was I doing? what was the point?

if I had youtube and the plethora of speedruns and longplays and AGDQ videos, I'd have been so much happier

>> No.2483332

>>2482453
I have all these feels.

>> No.2483336

>>2481816
>Or do you just actually not game anymore and post here for old times' sake?
Pretty much this. I never pull more than singledigit hours of gaming per month, and there are months without any gaming whatsoever.

/vr/ is basically nostalgia central for me.

>> No.2483352 [DELETED] 

>>2483252
Well...I kind of thought...you know...there would be oldfag nostalgia dudes here and stuff like that.

>> No.2483358 [DELETED] 

>>2483352
That doesn't mean they're married normalfags. If you were a married normalfag, you wouldn't be on a website full of underage edgy teens and pedophiles.

>> No.2483365 [DELETED] 

>>2483336
>/vr/ is basically nostalgia central for me
Nostalgiafags are cancer. These are the people who go on Facebook and spam pics of old shitty 90s cartoons and go LyltheyshudbringbackAahRealMonsters2day'scartoonsrgheythumbsupifuagree

>> No.2483369 [DELETED] 

>>2483365
Good point. I was a kid in the 5th gen era but I really never cared for those games and they don't carry a whole lot of nostalgia for me.

>> No.2483407

>>2482973
>going on reddit
speaking of cring

>> No.2483429

>>2482415
>crpgaddict
I'm possibly misremembering, but didn't he have some kind of physical disability? If not, what job does he have that he has time for all that?

>> No.2483467

Married but with no kids and no intent on having any. She's got a hobby, so do I, all is good. But I dont think you are fucked if you have kids. But you probably wont play much until they are 15 or so.

>> No.2483476 [DELETED] 

>>2483467
>Married but with no kids and no intent on having any
I know...you can't have children with Twilight Sparkle.

>> No.2483481

>>2481816
topkek do you even know where you are m8

>> No.2483484

>>2483476
You just need to find a girl who also has a hobby man. And that doesn't like children.

>> No.2483486 [DELETED] 

>>2483481

>>2483358

>> No.2483487 [DELETED] 

>>2483484
Why don't you just admit you're gay and you use the term "girl" to mean the bottom in the relationship.

>> No.2483494 [DELETED] 

>>2483487
>>2483484
Well this thread went in all the wrong directions.

>> No.2483496 [DELETED] 

>>2483494
The fuck do you think I'm gay? Just because I don't want to have a bunch of goddamn snotnosed little punks annoying me for 18 fucking years of my life.

>> No.2483497 [DELETED] 

>>2483496
>completely ignoring your biological imperative to reproduce
This guy is the reason the white race is dying.

>> No.2483501 [DELETED] 

>>2483497
Well other white people are welcome to continue the white race all they want. Not my problem.

>> No.2483532

>>2483352
Listen, I know what websites people go to to have well reasoned intellectual discussions that deconstruct videogames as a hobby and a potential career, and I wouldn't post them here because all the shitheads would flood in and it wouldn't be cool anymore.

Anyway, suffice to say, this is not the bastion of healthy discourse you think it is.

>> No.2483636
File: 1.53 MB, 2088x2536, 1601521-cast_fatal_fury_special.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm 30, not married, no job, no kids, no gf, just a few friends & the band mates. I play old games on the PSP and PC whenever I like to.
Smoke bong, play guitar, fap and watch annie-mays everyday. Basically a neet living the dream, not a virgin tho. Had a couple girlfriends in the past and had lots of sex (being in a band kinda helps). One of those girls (the one I spent almost 4 years and got engaged with) kinda enjoyed games, we both played xbox 360, she gave me an old SNES and a GBA as gifts. But later bitch dumped me for a manlet supervisor at job, she got promoted, started to earn more cash, bought a car, moved to a new house and got another boyfriend, got pregnant, etc. When we broke she took lots of my stuff, shit was almost a divorce, lol. That's why I don't want a wife or kids soon.
I've been single for almost 3 years. As I like to call them, the stoner years. Yeah, life is pretty much miserable, but at least I still have progressive rock, weed and games of course.
Friends of my age are not interested in retro games that much, they are all hyped with the ps3 and new releases. Also the guys I know that are married or with kids don't seem to enjoy videogames that much anymore. But once in a while we play fighting games. Sorry for blogging.

>> No.2483659

>>2483497
>caring about "the white race"

fucking meaningless

>> No.2483662
File: 17 KB, 248x248, I wonder who could be behind this post.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2483659

>> No.2483672

>>2483636
How are you 30 with no job and still doing things? Savings from before or what?

>> No.2483680
File: 167 KB, 729x487, 1363710303126.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2481816
A couple of friends and I have a game-of-the-month club. Each of us in turn picks a game for the month, and after we've played through the games we each contribute "hidden gem" games to a chart and roll a dice to decide for the last one in the cycle.

Before we started doing this, I was so caught up in work that I stopped playing and stopped communicating with my friends. We all live in different states now, so it's hard to synch our schedules up. Then I read a piece about the regrets of dieing people and recurring themes were "I wish I had stayed in contact with my friends" and "I wish I hadn't worked so hard." I emailed them after coming up with the game-of-the-month idea when I realized that we all really enjoyed playing older games. Before this, I had never touched an emulator so it was really eye-opening to me to see what a huge library there was at my fingertips.

Having the club helps me to keep focused and I've told my buddies "If I ever say I don't have enough time, call bullshit on me and remind me why we started this." We've all been having a blast and because each of us had different systems growing up and tastes in gaming, we're getting to play stuff that would normally be outside of our comfort zones.

>> No.2483682
File: 38 KB, 400x350, 1429328749802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wew

this is the logical next step from retron shitposting

where will the future take us next?

>> No.2483686

Everyone I love is dead, so I spend most of my money, of which I have a lot of due to my job, on money. I also work sometimes over 10 hours a day, mostly shitposting and ebaying, and sleep about 5, so I generally have 9ish hours to spend on vidya.

Sometimes I wish I was married. I miss her but I guess that's life.

>> No.2483689

>>2483686
>Everyone I love is dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56r-UTj6pIM

>>2483682
This thread is the future you chose

Apparently life is a meaningless hell that can only be escaped with old video games

>> No.2483690

>>2483672
Kinda, graduated from art college so I paint and draw often, sometimes I sell things or do commissions. Used to buy-sell-trade toys online too. Now I live with mom and brothers, they pay the bills and I help at home when possible. I'm an austere guy, don't spend that much weekly. My last job was retail cashier. Had to quit because I went on tour with the band.

>> No.2483708

>>2481816
>literally having children
Might as well kill yourself.

>> No.2483713
File: 3 KB, 125x112, 1434576913475.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2483686
>I spend most of my money [...] on money

>> No.2483720

Married with a baby who sleeps a lot but also needs to be fed a lot. My biggest problem was trying to retro game on real consoles (which I still love to do when possible). I have been able to squeeze in more time using an NVidia Shield portable (which is sadly out of production and its cost skyrocketed on eBay).

I find this a great solution because it emulates all consoles perfectly, has a great d-pad, the loudest speakers ever on a handheld, and can be hooked up over HDMI. If I want to play it on a real console I take out the microSD and put it in an NES/SNES/Genesis Everdrive and my .sav files are there so I can continue where I left off.

Any of the newer game systems I miss out on I will catch up on in my retirement. Games can wait; having a family is awesome (don't worry, I didn't want a family when I was 20 either).

>> No.2483727 [DELETED] 

>>2483636
>I'm 30, not married, no job, no kids, no gf
What the fuck do you do? Are you living with your parents?

>> No.2484147

>>2483140
>>2483116
I respect your actions/beliefs and I even was interested in that, but what keeps me from doing it are STDs. I mean, sure, you can use condoms and do stuff other than penetration, but you are never 100% protected (when penetrating). So, even the slightest chance scares the crap out of me.

Now, I'm in a relationship so escorts are out of the question.

But, really, this
>You just get to do what you want, no bullshit games and its gaurenteed.
is simply great.

>> No.2484165

>>2483369
I think people nowadays do not have enough time to create a nostalgic feeling for the things from their youth because these last years technology improved at an exponential speed so much that the next thing comes way too quickly for any nostalgic feeling to form.

Plus, with the Internet era there's less human connection which would also benefit the creation of a nostalgic feeling.

>> No.2484169

You take a risk being with any girl, including your girlfriend.

It really is a mood-killer to consider that you might be getting a deadly virus.

I've been meaning to research the shit out of it all but in the mean time I'm staying away. Somehow the mean time has turned into a lonnnnnng time.

>> No.2484202

I have never had any girlfriend or any real job. Neither do I want any. I don't have friends anymore either.

My mood is good almost every day. I don't believe social or job status has any connection at all with how happy you are. I hate modernity. I am working on a degree in ecology.

>> No.2484243

>>2484202
You do whatever it takes to make you happy.
Whatever people consider "normal" is just a social construct. Right/wrong, good/bad are an illusion.

My phyloshophy.

Cheers.

>> No.2484327
File: 1.98 MB, 271x276, 1423861232832.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2484243
>My phyloshophy.
jesus dude, there's spell-check for a reason. Philosophy is the correct spelling.

>> No.2484362

>>2481816
>How do you do it?
By being 18 and having plenty of free time between studying and going to school. I've been playing retro games for most of my life due to my dad getting me into them at an early age. I'm pretty thankful for that. He doesn't care about vidya anymore though.

>> No.2484385

I think the more I read about getting into a relationship or having kids, the more against the idea I am. Work already drains me enough as it is, and I get really frustrated if I can't get my quota of free time to play vidya or work on my illustrations or whatever. I don't really want to sacrifice that. Plus I hate being around people for extended periods, 8 hours a day is enough for me, I don't think I could cope with kids pestering me. Bloody niece is bad enough already.

It's a double-edged sword though, since its something I could very well end up regretting hardcore on my deathbed.

>> No.2484393
File: 158 KB, 1024x1024, 1186840-birdo__mario_party_8_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Be gay and not have a family. Sorry you didn't luck out like me:)

>> No.2484401

>>2484393
>Be gay
Being a jizz gargling faggot doesn't mean you can't have a long term relationship or even marriage. or have kids, for that matter.

>> No.2484402

>>2481832
Growing up I had friends who had parents who played video games. My parents never played video games, what do your kids think of you playing video games? Cool, lame, gay?

>> No.2484403

>>2484385
If I had nephews or nieces that would be good enough for me, but I don't. At age 30, I'm starting to feel like having a brat, I don't know why. I'm worried they would grow into an insufferable weeb like me or my girlfriend, though. If my kid stayed indoors watching anime and playing games all day, I'd be really upset.

>> No.2484404
File: 41 KB, 423x696, poison-final-fight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2484401
Confused, how will I have time to get married and have kids if I'm too busy gargling jizz and playing retro games?

>> No.2484406

I sneak an hour or two or sometimes 5 and be very tired at work the next day after my daughter goes to sleep at 10pm.

>> No.2484410

>>2484404
Get a bf who likes to play retro games with you like I did

>> No.2484547

>>2481816
If you're gonna troll don't give yourself away in the first sentence. Most people here are the children.

>Are you emulating stuff on your handheld
Sure. Usually things I can play on the bus/train and save whenever I want.

>a cheeky session in between meetings?
No. For me games are a hobby not a drug.

>a set dad time
Not set in stone but fairly regular

>Does your job pay so well you can afford taking a day off every week
Yes. Games aren't my only hobby so I work 2-3 days a week

>> No.2484590

I really only work 9-10 months out of the year. During the winter, I just plow snow if more than a couple of inches accumulates. For instance, this past winter, I think I worked maybe 10 days total from January until March or so.

I read and lift and usually have some sort of DIY project I'm working on, so the rest of the year, I don't have too much spare time I would be willing to spare, especially on playing games. But I can very easily rack up at least a hundred hours weekly during the winter if I haven't got anything else to do.

>> No.2484730

>>2481816

I have the time but the will to play is not there right now. Sad thing is I'm single and alone.

>> No.2484834 [DELETED] 

>>2484165
The 5th gen just objectively wasn't as good as the 4th or 6th gen.

>> No.2484837

>>2484834
That's not how that word works.

>> No.2484839 [DELETED] 

>>2484401
>Being a jizz gargling faggot doesn't mean you can't have a long term relationship or even marriage. or have kids, for that matter

This guy clearly don't know jack about gay culture. Mang, if I wanted a wife/two kids/picket fence, I'd be straight.

>> No.2484840 [DELETED] 

>>2484837
Well, it wasn't. I'd argue gaming took a step backwards since the early 3D hardware wasn't good enough for complex games so most 5th gen stuff were just simplistic collectathons. You can't do Vice City on a PS1.

>> No.2484854 [DELETED] 

>>2484839
Don't feed the SJW. Their logic train is a wreck anyway.

>nuclear families are an outdated bourgeois institution free love for all let's do it with a horse or a sheep or your son or 35 people XD
>how dare you bigots tell Stu and Fred they can't marry and adopt children they just want to be normalfags like you

>> No.2484856

>>2484403
Would you really want your kid to be a normie or sportsbro? If I ever have kids I'd hope they share my nerdy hobbies.

>> No.2484857 [DELETED] 

In olden days, a lot of gay men did manage to marry women and have kids. They just went and got some on the side and no one ever knew. ;)

>> No.2484864 [DELETED] 

This thread sure has a lot to do with video games.

>> No.2484904

>>2481816
>and married with children
Maybe when I'm 40.
Until then it's all booze and vidya.

>> No.2484908 [DELETED] 

>>2484904
>being a selfish hedonist fuck
The Jews have won. Western civilization is truly dead.

>> No.2484910

>>2484908
The Jews would be happier if I got married instead of actually focusing on work and financial matters.
Everything our overlords want is for me to become another office monkey working for them.

>> No.2485197

>>2484147
Escort guy here. I know the risks involved but I'm not banging an escorts all the time. I two-three I mess with. The gf thing I can do, but it'll be hard as my courier job has me on the road close to 10-12 hours a day(sometimes 16) with periods stuck in a town or city away from home. My job does give me the last week of month off, but women don't give a fuck. It's not viable for them. Especially if you're on the road for hours at a time "away from them". That's why I do the escort thing. I can get my nut in when I want to, and not have to hear about all crap she went through that day. When you get into a relationship, forget about your life.. You're going to have to hear about everything even if your partner stays at home all day.

Some chicks say they're not like that. I dated one who swore she wasn't, but months later I'm eating dinner "oh my god the neighbor and his dog walk like this, I hate the way he walks his dog like that! Like I can see them through the window"

lol escorts bro, escorts. Even with escorts though you have to establish its only business as well. I was messing with a 19 year old a few months back and as soon as she felt that she didn't want to talk about business, and I was going to be that guy that payed to fuck her and be her therapist afterwards, I stopped all contact.

But yeah about games to keep in topic. I bought parasite eve 2 at a savers today for $2.99

>> No.2485201

>>2485197
Cool blog bro. Sure seems like you don't have issues with women at all.

>> No.2485204

>>2485201
>he won't marry must have issues with grills

Maybe but I'm happy not having to drive a mini van full of rotten kids and a fat wife.

>> No.2485209

>>2485197
>>2485201
>>2485204
Fucking virgins lol.

Paying for sex is great. I had a regular girl I saw fairly regularly and we started to hang out and she saw me as her "friend". She'd give me freebies occasionally but as her "friend" I had to put up with her bullshit, and as a result I started seeing another girl. Its pretty true.

Marriage is a dated concept. I didn't know what I wanted 7 years ago when I graduated Highschool. I don't know what I'm going to want even a year from now. People are fluid and to commit yourself wholly to someone for the rest of your life is bordering on insanity.

>> No.2485210

>>2485197
You sound like an undateable jerk tbh. I can't imagine how sad and lonely it must be paying for sex all the time.

>> No.2485218

>>2485210
This mentality is way more pathetic.

I bet you have a fat girlfriend who you "love" but really resent and settled for.

>> No.2485224

>>2485210
It's sex. You pay for it. You make it sound like its the water bill.

Nobody is undateable. Only if your some virgin white knight dweeb you are, but even then you can find a female/male counterpart and be miserable together. Just like an asshole like me can find an asshole counterpart and be "sad and lonely" together. What ever the fuck that means.

>> No.2485241 [DELETED] 

>>2484904
Yes, good goy. Don't reproduce. No more white babies.

>> No.2485269

>>2481816
>I assume most of you guys are employed full-time and married with children. So how do you find the time for retro gaming?

My kids have to sleep sometime m8

>> No.2485271

>>2482873
>You (in my mind at least) lose all of your free time with a wife and kids. All of it

You really don't though. Unless you're a complete whipped faggot you get plenty of free time in the evenings. If you and your wife cant have your house in order by 7 then you're clearly slobs. I actually enjoy the time I spend with my kids more than retro gaming tbh

>> No.2485274
File: 21 KB, 460x276, 1295173609502.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2484904

>Not still being in your physical prime when your son is an upstart teenage faggot

>> No.2485279

>>2485274
>>2485271
>>2485269
>>2485241
>>2485224
>>2485210
>/vr/ - Retro Games

>> No.2485280 [DELETED] 

>>2485274
Not a problem. If he and his wife have a kid in their 40s, their old expired eggs and sperm will just produce a weak, malformed Downie that won't given them a lot of trouble when he's 16 anyway,

>> No.2485282 [DELETED] 

>>2485280
Oh right, forgot about that.

>> No.2485284 [DELETED] 

>>2485282
Women's fertility starts dropping off at 35 and men at 42. Not only is it harder to conceive at such an age, but the kid will probably be weak and have health issues.

>> No.2485287 [DELETED] 

I actually saw this happen IRL.

>in grocery store
>couple there with their 9-ish daughter
>they were I guess in their early 50s so they were 40 at minimum when they had the kid (which was obviously theirs because she looked exactly like the mom)
>this kid was pretty potato - she would look around around aimlessly with her mouth open and seemed to not quite be aware of her surroundings

>> No.2485291

My aunt and uncle had a kid at 40 and she's totally healthy.

>> No.2485294 [DELETED] 

>>2485279
I know...anyone want to go on /qa/ and kindly ask the mods if they would delete this stupid thread?

>> No.2485296 [DELETED] 

In my opinion, the cutoff to have a kid should be 35 for women and 37 for men.

>> No.2485297

I'm a 28 year old NEET at the moment.

>> No.2485305

>>2485291

Well bully for them. It's a medical fact that fertility takes a nose dive when people reach their 40's and that the risks of retardation increase dramatically

>> No.2485310 [DELETED] 

Most people in the world manage to get it done between 25 and 35...why can't you?

>> No.2485323
File: 8 KB, 197x249, 1430225688882.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do you guys keep playing games as you get older?

I find that while I still love video games, they are harder for me to get into, and its not because I don't have any free time.

I love all the games I grew up with, but I even have trouble playing those.

Not sure if I'm just out growing the medium or what, but I certainly still like video games, It's just hard for me to get into them anymore.

>> No.2485328

>>2485323
I was in your position about a year ago.

You gotta choose.

You can give it up and get an adult hobby.
Or
You can play and enjoy your games.

I realize now I was just in a slump. I was watching people streaming on twitch, I was watching game reviews and other gaming personalities on youtube and I just had this revelation that it was completely fucking retarded. People argue that gaming is a waste of time, but watching some stranger play video games truly is a waste of time. Video games are for entertainment, but without the sense of challenge or fulfillment of beating them its just empty.

I set a goal for myself to beat my entire collection.

I started tracking what I played and some other stats (clear times, number of sessions, time periods, any other notes). Progress has been slow and steady, I'm 40/404 (just starting 41 which is Final Fantasy Anthology. Doing the FF5 Four Job Fiesta starting tomorrow).

I have started streaming myself as a way to motivate myself to play, but my brother and friends watch and we use it as a way to socialize because we don't see each other that often. I have no goals or aspirations to make it my job or get a sub button or donations or whatever.

I've found that doing this has renewed my interest and passion. Where as I would come home and just flake out and do nothing, now I get really excited to come play a game like when I was a kid.

>> No.2485334

>>2485328

This is good advice, I have a few friends that like to watch me stream random shit while they grind in MMOs and whatnot.

Things like that can motivate you to play games just for the hell of it.

And really that's what its all about, you gotta throw away any OCD or stress you have about playing them and just play them like when you were a kid.

I used to be obsessed with playing perfect files, but its largely pointless and burns you out super fast, and usually isn't the reason you loved the game anyway, so throwing that mentality away helped me get back into games.

>> No.2485343

>>2485334
I was this way too when I was a kid. I always wanted to 100% or get all the optional shit with an autistic level of dedication.

I generally try and not doddle when I play now. Sometimes I'll impose a challenge on myself but mostly I just try and beat the game as fast as possible now. Maybe try out some tricks or strategies from speedruns or cool things (Disc 1 Lionheart in FF8 for instance)

I think just going for it is a great way to dive in. Play a game you loved playing. Play a game you didn't play that you always wanted to. Just pop something in and play, worst case scenario you can always open up a FAQ or guide.

>> No.2485346

>>2485343

If you play a game enough times you will probably be capable of 100%ing it on memory anyway.

I can 100% FF4 without any guide, which isn't hard, but I can also 100% FF7 based on memory, and that game is some fucking bullshit in that respect.

Either way its better to not stress it, if you methodically look at a guide while playing to not miss anything chances are you will be ready to quit after like 10-15 hours, its just so mind numbing and having a perfect file means jack and shit since you can still crush the games easily in most cases.

Nothing truly good is missable in games anyway...except maybe breath of fire 1 having some characters ultimate weapons in gobi's shop minigame which disappear after certain events happen, that one is pretty bullshit.

>> No.2485348

>>2485346
Even if you miss Ultimate Weapons or overpowered things (like a Gades Blade in Lufia 2) you can pretty much clear the game with basic stuff.

Sure some games benefit more from the extras then others. Some games have some oddities as well, like Armored Core getting a lot more fun and interesting once you get Human Plus since it lets you do shit like fire shoulder weapons while moving, but to get Human Plus you have to get Massively in Debt.

>> No.2485352

I'm 31 and have a great career and gf. I have no interest in having a family at the moment, so I have most nights free to pursue hobbies.

>> No.2485356

>>2485348

Going for 100% right out of the gate also takes some mystery out of the game.

You never get that "oh shit I didn't know that!" moment if you knew everything about the game going in, from a guide designed to satiate your OCD.

>> No.2485374

>>2485352
Living in what country?

>> No.2485808

>>2485323
Play different stuff. When I was younger I played nothing but JRPGs and FPSes.

Lost interest in gaming once the trend for everything being online came, but got back into it a few years ago playing lots of turn-based strategy, or old CRPGs i didn't have available to me.

Watching GamecenterCX a lot definitely re-ignited the flame as well.

>> No.2485946
File: 50 KB, 1024x576, final fantasy (8).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2485346
I've been holding FF7 for quite sometime, long ago I used to watch my older brother play it but never had the will to actually go for it. Maybe I enjoyed seeing it as movie of sorts I don't know.

Anyway, I'm about to finally play it so I was wondering if there are any permanent missables on it. I never use walkthroughs for reasons like this >>2485356

>> No.2486007

>>2485356
I use guides to point me in the right direction, but not to walk me through things. I swear, some things are so obscure in games, or so tedious, that it seems like you NEED a guide.

>> No.2486095

>married with children
Stopped reading there, go back to facebook normalfag

>> No.2486109

>>2485946

Lots of missables in FF7, there is a pretty good guide over at gamefaqs to follow, if you just want to avoid missables and stuff, it has the item check list at the start of each section and "permanently missable" boxes when applicable.

Really good to use just as an item check list and to avoid missables, skipping the walkthrough parts unless needed is recommended.

Anyway the guide in question is the one by bover 87

>> No.2486142

>>2481816
>not being gay
Why would I ever want to deal with a woman

>> No.2486753

I play video games to relax once I get home from work.
I can't imagine coming home and having to deal with a wife and kid. At the moment I'm just completing my Dreamcast collection and considering buying an xbox one afterwards. Once I'm done collecting for my old consoles and settle on current gen I might have less gaming time and could consider meeting a woman

>> No.2486767
File: 299 KB, 642x1832, 1431535253303.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As soon as moot created /vr/, I divorced my wife and sold my children to Turkish slavers.

Gotta make time for your hobbies, OP.

>> No.2486768

>>2485946
As has been said, FF7 can be beaten with simple materia setups.

That being said, finding the 3 enemy skill materia and acquiring enemy skills like Aqualung, Big Guard, Trine, Beta and Magic Breath are going to be extremely helpful.

Getting a lot of missable or hard to find materia (Elemental, AddedEffect, Long Range, Cover, Counter Attack, Added-Cut, All's etc) will make your game significantly more fun and rewarding.

I would scan a guide only for the item checklists at the beginning and then only for materia. But then again, if you just grind with HP+'s and use magic and limit breaks effectively you can beat it pretty easily.

>> No.2486851

>>2486109
>>2486768
Thanks a bunch for the guide and tips! Just one thing that I heard was that some characters are missable as well, like Yuffie. Can anyone confirm this? 'cause losing this feels way worse than some rare item.

>> No.2486864

>>2486851
Vincent and Yuffie are optional, you can never permenantly miss them.

To get Yuffie you need to encounter her in a random battle in 1 of I think 3 areas throughout the world.

Vincent requires you to open a safe in the Shinra Mansion and fight a fairly difficutl (the first time you are able to encounter it) boss with a unique mechanic.

You can get them whenever you want. You can get Yuffie quite early and you get a bit of extra dialogue from some parts with her.

My last playthrough I didn't bother and only used Cloud/Tifa/Barret the whole game.

>> No.2486891

I bought a shield portable to play 20-30mins sessions with emulators. Use a lot of the fast forward button in the emulators to get through the story faster (I map the ffw button to a shoulder button)

I also bough an alienware alpha to do 30-60 mins sessions of PC games without having to lose time connecting cables etc.

I usually play more during winter..

>> No.2487908

>>2481940
This guy knows what he's talking about.