[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 35 KB, 325x399, Longest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2464939 No.2464939 [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts on The Longest Journey?

It was published in its native country in 1999 so it just barely classifies as /vr/.

>> No.2464950

Ambitious and impressive for its era. I can't bare to play it today though.

>> No.2465026

im a fan fer sure. the art direction is superb and the writing is surprisingly good too

>> No.2465043

I've played the game at least three times, and I love both of the sequels. Truly a masterpiece of adventure. I personally think it holds up well to this day, despite the dated graphics. Excellent story, puzzles and voice acting. Rich humor and a deep world, too.

>> No.2465170

>>2464939
It's one of my favorite adventure games. The art is great despite the cinematic cutscenes showing their age, the writing is surprisingly good for an adventure game not centered around humor and I'm a huge fan of its setting.
Dreamfall was a lame follow-up but Dreamfall Chapters is showing promise.

>> No.2465319 [DELETED] 
File: 653 KB, 1633x2030, 1433826837218.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've thought of playing it, but Dreamfall Chapters is full of SJW shit and the creator is an asshole on Twitter.

>> No.2465439

>>2465319
But the game reveals that both of the parties are secretly working for the games antagonist, pandering to both extremes so no matter which side wins they'll have control over the entire city.

The black guy either dies or abandons politics forever based on a decision you make.

The Longest Journey always leaned towards being progressive anyway. Dreamfall did the exact same shit but in Arcadia with magicals vs humans.

>> No.2465468

>>2465439
but does she actually fuck him? pretty gross if she does

>> No.2465471

>>2465468
It's an option, though I personally never ran into it.
Zoe's in a relationship thats on the verge of collapsing and whether she just lets it happen or does her best to maintain it is decided by how you interact with the other NPCs.

>> No.2465849

Have just played it last year for the first time, definitely a masterpiece. Not even a fan of the adventure genre but the worlds were interesting, facinating even, the characters were greatly written, their dialogue was top notch, the mysteries about Cortez and pretty much everything else just gave you enough clues to pursue them, the pacing was a bit slow but that's because I couldn't stop talking and listening to every person out there. Even the puzzles were great, it really is a fantastic game to play, kinda wish they would remake the cutscenes though.

Dreamfall was a boring mess sadly. I really had to force myself to play it through only to be rewarded with one of the worst endings I've ever encountered. Not worth the time to play through imo, it also made me really reluctant to try Chapters even though I want to know what happened to April.

>> No.2465861

>>2465319
The synagogue in the background is perfect.

>> No.2465879

Very progressive and sexy for the time and especially for the genre. It was a real pleasure playing it again on iOS.

>> No.2466087

>>2465319
Go back to /v/ or /pol/ for that political shit, don't bring it here.

>> No.2466481

>>2464939
I played a bunch of these (genre I mean) back in the 90s, or parts at least... never got "that much" into them. That game, I never knew of.

They can be really cool but I remember getting a glimpse of some, that had parts that had you thinking for hours because the puzzle was hard, or needed you to have little more than "basic" knowledge of certain subjects that the average person doesn't know about, so going through them with a walkthrough guide, to get to the end without pulling your hair out, was kinda necessary. That made me not give them that much attention.

But I gotta admit they can be extremely addictive and they immerse you in the world they create.

Any recomendations of some games, aside from the OP... the less known retro ones? I'm older now so I'll probably look at them in a different way.