[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 176 KB, 653x470, WAT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2456618 No.2456618 [Reply] [Original]

When to buy vs when to emulate.

How do you decide?

>> No.2456626

>Buying games

>> No.2456628

3) Flash card

>> No.2456629

>>2456626
>on vr
>claiming emulating is better

>> No.2456636

>>2456618
If I can find the game for anywhere from 0-50 bucks its a strong case for purchase. Obviously depending on condition, and my own personal desires for the game itself. Anything greater then that, and its kind of up in the air. I own a lot of "expensive" games like Valkyrie Profile, Tron Bonne, Megaman X2 and 3, Megaman 7 and EVO: Search for Eden. But honestly, your best bet is -always- (if you want to play on original hardware):

>Get a flashcart

Gives you access to almost the entire library (outside of a handful of games that had special chips, like Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars). It has a high upfront cost, but considering you can get a Flashcart vs. A cart only copy of a game like Wild Guns, and your flashcart will play WildGuns and all that, then it becomes a very strong case for the Flashcart.

NES Flashcart is ridiculous savings. Mr. Gimmick and Little Samson alone are virtually unobtainable, outside of reproduction carts (which repro cart makers have this moral obligation to not make for you since they were released over here) you'll never play them without emulator/flash cart. It really sucks, becuase those 2 games specifically are some of the best on the damn console.

My 2cents. Flashcarts are an amazing addition to your collection if you're a collector, or just a great thing to have if you love games.

>> No.2456643

>>2456618
If you want to be able to say "I own X" then you buy it.

If you want to just play the game, emulate it.

>> No.2456645

>>2456618
Are you married?
if yes, emulate

>> No.2456649

I check my wallet to make sure I'm still poor and then I emulate. Basically I never buy a game for more than $5.

>> No.2456650

Literally the only reasons to own hardware/physical copies:

>Emulation is shitty/You can't find an accurate ROM
>The game is on multiple disks or has a special chip ala
>>2456636
>you're a hoarding manchild who still clings to his childhood toys because of muh feels
Call me a troll but it's true.

>> No.2456664

You can't win.
If you're 100% against emulation, some games will simply be unobtainable due to costs unless you're a millionaire.

If you're 100% emulator you're going to run into issues like certain games simply not working on emulators.

I think the best bet is both. The startup cost for emulator-only is a lot higher since you need to buy systems and flashcarts most likely. If you have some legacy consoles from childhood the startup is lessened.

I also find a lot of emulators (especially PS1/N64 onwards) require a lot of tweaking to look good, and when you simply got the desire to play Armored Core out of the blue, it can be a massive hassle to download and setup emulators, potentially killing any interest you had in playing. NES and SNES era are dead simple outside of a handful that simply don't work.

>> No.2456678

Why not both? I'll buy if its my price range and its in very good condition. I will take a pristine gyro mite over a beat up kirby any day of the week.

I emulate with hyperspin just for the convenience of an all in one and I will only play a physical it if I have a double

>> No.2456693

If it's a sick ass sweet deal, buy it.
If you're just interested in it and it's even remotely expensive, emulate it.
If you've been emulating it and you love it, buy it.

>> No.2456702

Buy flashcarts. They work with 99% of games. For the other 1%, you have the original hardware and can buy the cart/disc. Emulate if you're a poorfag (I was an emulating poorfag for a long time too).

>> No.2456707

>>2456618
>listening to these assholes
yeah, according to them you should buy all your games no matter how much they cost or kill yourself, the funny thing is that in their earlier videos they actually encouraged emulation, now they claim they always hated emulation.

>> No.2456710

>>2456702
This, i was an emulating poorfag till birthday rolled around and family visited, was able to pick up a genesis, two 6 buttons, an everdrive and Virtua racer.

>> No.2456717

>>2456710
Now THIS is the right way to go from a no-budget retro gamer to a low-budget retro gamer.

>> No.2456725

I buy games if they're decently priced, and if not I'll just burn CD-Rs (Saturn, for example) or use flashcarts/everdrives.

>> No.2456728

>>2456618
Flip a coin, man.
Honestly though you should only collect stuff you feel emotionally connected with. There's always modchips, flashroms, or whatever.

>> No.2456730 [DELETED] 

>>2456710
>>2456702
>>2456717
fuck off, you aren't special

>> No.2456732

>>2456650
>Emulation is shitty
unless it's N64, Saturn, or some obscure arcade system this just plain isn't true, but go on believing vidya balls and edgygamegeek

>> No.2456735

>>2456732
oh, or dreamcast, I forgot that was covered here now

>> No.2456739

>>2456650
why would having multiple disks make it worth buying? I don't understand. but then again you are obviously baiting

>> No.2456746

>>2456732
>>2456735

N64 emulation is shitty, but most of the stuff worth playing is available on VC or equivalent (Banjo is on Xbox, but I don't think Banjo's worth playing lol)

PS1/PS2/Dreamcast, hell even Saturn iirc, all have modchips and can take burned CDR's and while modding your console and burning CD's is more expensive then emulating, it sstill a shitload less then buying real copies

>> No.2456765

>>2456650
>>you're a hoarding manchild who still clings to his childhood toys because of muh feels
Eh, I'm comfortable with that. I still buy old books and cds too. *tips fedora*, I guess.

>> No.2456780
File: 16 KB, 616x234, 2015-06-07-192544_1024x768_scrot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Emulators are shit.

http://shop.krikzz.com/
You're welcome.

>> No.2456807

>>2456618

I prefer the original controllers for most systems.

>> No.2456818 [DELETED] 

there are actually people who post here who have not gotten to that second stage of "i'm too old for toys", which is "i'm too old to hoard physical copies of video games and have a mancave covered in video game posters". they will post all their reasons for why it's completely normal, they have the money, their girlfriend is a nerd too, whatever. but they are only x amount of months or years away from having that soul crushing moment where they walk into their game room and realize all the money they've wasted and how big of a faggot they were this whole time and remember reading this very post i just typed out. sleep well.

>> No.2456826

As someone that has gamed since the Pong days, fuck real systems. Emulators are superior in nearly every single way and for the few times that they don't do things quite right, it's mostly for obscure, stupid things that was best to skip anyway.

Holy fuck, I love emulation.

>> No.2456829

I just bought some flash carts. Saves space and is way cheaper. I don't care about how my shelf looks.

>> No.2456834

>>2456664
>The startup cost for emulator-only is a lot higher
No. You can find a free pc, crt, and controllers and emulate anything up to 5th gen with zero cost. The equivalent hardware and software would cost $50k. My setup has only cost me ~$100 so far.

>> No.2456837

Buy when emulator is poorly coded

>> No.2456840

>>2456834
You can build a high end retro setup for less than a midrange gaming PC.

>> No.2456842

I emulate to try out games to see if I want to buy them or if the game is ridiculously expensive.

I buy the game if it's good and I can find it for at least a fair price.

I've kind of reached the end of my hunt for games though. I have most of what I'd ever want and the games I don't have are more expensive than I'm willing to pay.

>> No.2456850 [DELETED] 

>>2456818
Uh.

I'll never get to that point. I enjoy my games. I have them nicely displayed on my shelf in my gameroom. I have no posters or statuettes or anything like that, I simply have a fairly empty room, in a neutral tone, with my couch, games on the shelf, TV and media center and a blown up photograph I took of a mountain range at sunset.

A guy I know his a full retard hyper nerd. His bathroom is Doctor who themed. Shower curtains like a tardis, tardis soap dispenser, blue tardis towels, the fucking works. His room is top to bottom posters, he has game statues and plushies and shit everywhere. Its terrible.

You can be an adult and not have this whole "full retard" phase. You can live your life enjoying things and not going full retard and having a mental breakdown. I'd hardly consider money wasted if you enjoyed it.

Your argument is almost always shared by Emulator fags who I firmly believe at the core at just jealous. Trying to put down others for having shit they've dreamed about since childhood.

I don't often respond to people like this, but sometimes it just gets so fucking annoying seeing these shitposts on /vr/.

On Topic:
>Emulate if you can't afford
>Flashcart should be a strong consideration if you own physical hardware whether your a "collector" or not
>Open a savings account and deposit a little bit in there every paycheck and you'll eventually be able to afford any game you want.

>> No.2456852

>>2456780
Not sure if I should buy an everdrive n8 now or save up a bit and get an sd2snes.

>> No.2456853

>>2456834
You misunderstand.

I'm talking about an emulator-fag buying the hardware required to play the games that you can't emulate.

>> No.2456854

You buy the games and systems if they are hard to emulate, like N64 and Sega Saturn.

>> No.2456856

>>2456818
You're trying really too hard.
Everyone has a hobby. Stop being a piece of shit just because you don't like the way someone else handles the hobby.

>> No.2456858

>>2456650
>manchild
le ebin maymay here's my upboat

By the way you accidentally clicked on /vr/ instead of /v/. It's ok they're very close to each other so it can happen.

>> No.2456865

>>2456818
You hate video games and waste your time posting on video game boards posting about how much you hate them. There isn't a "manchild" in this world more pathetic than you.

>> No.2456881

>>2456818
>that soul crushing moment where they walk into their game room and realize all the money they've wasted and how big of a faggot they were this whole time
It started as trolling, yet ended as a heart-breaking confessional.

>> No.2456893

>>2456852
I would suggest an n8.

Personally, the SNES is my favorite system ever, but the everdrives don't do it much justice. Not only are they expensive as fuck, but they only work with games that don't have enhancement chips. It does not support games like Star Fox, Kirby Super Star, etc.

The NES everdrive afaik, works with every NES game. If you're tight on cash, that might be the better option.

>> No.2456894

>>2456893
What about Genesis/Mega Drive

tbh just buying physical games is not really breaking my wallet, I just get cheap stuff

>> No.2456898

>>2456893
Do you think losing the dozen or two games is a deal breaker for the sd2snes? On one hand, I'm missing the superfx games (I have starfox, but that's not saying much), but on the other, I could play games like chrono trigger and earthbound which I'd most likely never buy otherwise.
Muh first world problems :^(

>> No.2456903

>>2456898
>I could play games like chrono trigger
DS version. I think SNES CT is on the Wii U virtual console as well. Definitely on the Wii VC.

>and earthbound which I'd most likely never buy otherwise.
Wii U VC.

>> No.2456905

>>2456898
If you have real SNES hardware and a flashcart, you can always buy the carts you're missing.

>> No.2456910

>>2456826
>and for the few times that they don't do things quite right, it's mostly for obscure, stupid things that was best to skip anyway
Such as...?

>> No.2456912

>>2456894
I'd get the Genesis one. It plays Genesis and Master System games. If you have a 32X it can play 32X games too and if you have a Sega CD it can switch BIOS region for you.

>> No.2456921

>>2456746
N64 is a console worth getting anyway. Relatively cheap, and most of the expensive games (StarCraft 64, Clayfighter Sculpters Cut) are pretty shitty/not worth picking up anyway. Plus, anyone 35 and younger will love you for nostalgia.

>> No.2456925

>>2456894
>>2456898
Well, if you look on the website, there's a full list of incompatible games, and there's quite a lot of them (some really good ones too) but I see you're point, most SNES games do work like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound (which are fucking awesome btw) If you think that's worth the $200 or so, then go for it, but I would rather wait until it has 100% compatibility. They're currently working on a co-processor for SD2SNES that supports every game ever, but in the meantime, I would suggest picking up one for another system (such as, but not limited to NES, and Sega Genesis XD)

But hey, it's your money, and believe me, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are definitely worth it.

>> No.2456926

>>2456925
>Co-processor for SD2SNES
Sauce? I know they're working on some compatibility through software updates, but that's (good) news to me.

>> No.2456929
File: 174 KB, 960x1280, dvWAWJE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2456881

>> No.2456935

>>2456921
>Plus, anyone 35 and younger will love you for nostalgia
No, we won't.

>> No.2456936

>>2456926
Sauce? I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know these guys said it in one episode.

http://www.joeredifer.com/gamesack.html

>> No.2456943
File: 366 KB, 638x480, realghostbusters.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2456850
>A guy I know is a full retard hyper nerd. He decorated a small room in his house with something he likes. Be an adult and don't do this.
>People want to have video game rooms, don't be mean about it. Why put down others for having shit they've dreamed about since childhood?

You're the person you've always hated.

>> No.2456947

>>2456935
I didn't think I had to explain that I meant people outside of /vr/, but okay, people outside of /vr/.

>> No.2456958

>>2456943
I respect people who know what they love and go into it "full retard" as that guy said. I see absolutely no problem with that. If it makes you happy, why hold back?

>> No.2456965

I buy games when I've heard from various sources that the game is good, or even one trustworthy source.

Otherwise, it's try and occasionally buy what I like.

>> No.2457027

>>2456943
Why the hostility and hatred? There's something mentally wrong with some people, it's not those guys... it's you.

>> No.2457028

>>2456965
>I buy games when I've heard from various sources that the game is good
I have a vast knowledge of retro games, that is the problem.

>> No.2457034

Step 1: emulate the game
Question: Is the game good?

If yes:

Step 2: Buy the game if I really want it
or
Step 2: Just emulate and beat it if it's good but not that good

>> No.2457071

>>2457034
But why buy if you don't have some kind of emotional/nostalgic attachment? You're not supporting the devs.

>> No.2457074

>>2457071
to develop that attachment maybe? idunno, I have a big emotional attachment to cartridges, that's why I buy mine.

>> No.2457090

>>2456618
price
if it's >$60, emulate for sure
if I don't have the console yet/anymore, emulate
otherwise, I'll probably grab a physical copy

Emulation is nice. Hardware is nice. Emulation is convenient. Real hardware is completely accurate. They both have their place.

like, I have a bunch of games physically that I'll still fire up in an emulator

>>2456707
>now they claim they always hated emulation.
when did that happen?
I haven't watched them in forever.

>> No.2457101

>>2456894
>>2456852
Buy an everdrive n8
The snes version doesn't do it justice, yet*
The genesis version works with every game except virtua racer, works with sms games with out a powerbase converter, and has 2 cd bioses, also if you have a 32x you can play 32x games too.

>> No.2457103

>>2457101
What about the non-krikzz supported, chinese version?

>> No.2457108

You shouldn't buy used games. The market is artificially inflated due to ebay and current fads.

Buy a flash cart and enjoy.

>> No.2457114

>>2457103
>non-krikzz
no

>> No.2457129

Having a flashcart and then bringing it to your buddies house who also has a snes, is just an awesome feeling.

I got some snes games, but I stopped buying. Way to much money...

>> No.2457130

when to buy
>for a system in which I have already a good collection
when to emulate
>when it's for a system I don't have
>its way too expensive
when to flash cart
>have system but less than 5 games
>most of library is expensive/fan translated

>> No.2457132

>>2457090
If it's over 40 for me, then emulation for sure.

>> No.2457135

>>2457114
Alright

Everdrive-MD or Mega ED?

>> No.2457137

>>2457132
yeah, it depends
most things >20 probably end up getting emulated for me
but there are exceptions (Saturn games, both because of poor emulation -- SSF is great, but has like 6 frames of input lag and isn't amazingly accurate anyway -- and because of the fact that only super common shit like Sega's arcade ports of the time and shovelware is cheap on the machine)

but I've never spent more than $60 on a game in my life, new or otherwise and I never will (stopped me from buying Bulk Slash a while back, although that game is totally worth $60)

>> No.2457142
File: 107 KB, 413x700, Lunar - Eternal Blue (U) (Front).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I only do it if I actually like the game in question and if it has some kind of personal sentimental significance

I paid a fair bit to get a copy of Lunar EB. I know it's a game I enjoyed greatly and I had a lot of fond memories attached to it

I really can't understand how people can drop over a hundred on games the never played just because the internet told them it was good and they want to be retro collectors

>> No.2457154

>>2457142
That game was 50 bucks complete only about two years ago. Buying any sort of old video game right now is ludicrous; you're being robbed by online speculators.

>> No.2457180

>>2456618
buy if
>hardware and/or software easy to find or replace
>software is $30 and under

for imports, I have threshold of $50 since you have to consider S&H cost but it can be really cheap if the Japanese store has postings on Amazon US. I have not bought games in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles for almost 10 years because they charged you the base price+S&H+their profit, no idea if this has changed but would not be surprised if it's the same.

Emulate if
>limited copies of software were ever sold
>software was not publicly released
>scalpers have a vice grip on the game or an old lady isn't accidentally selling her son's expensive stuff at a yard sale
>hardware or software is too expensive to be used regularly

>> No.2457184

I have kind of a flow chart

>are the boxes/manuals cool as fuck
if yes, buy
>does it have a flash cart
if yes, flash it up
>does it have tons of fucking physical switches on it that are better to operate physically
fuck you atari, buy
>is it or a flash cart region free
if not, emulate
>is it a handheld
>did it have a single digit number of decent games
if yes, just emulate it already

thats not quite the right order but you get the picture

>> No.2457186

>>2456618
>"Is it going to cost me more than $30 initial investment?"

If yes, I emulate, if no I usually still end up emulating cuz fuck tracking down games and paying out the ass because some nerd kept their shit in an air tight climate controlled room for 30 years.

>> No.2457197

>>2457071
To own the game itself. It's as simple as that.

Not every game is worth owning, which is where emulation comes in.

It's strictly personal preference.

>> No.2457225

>>2456707
Literally nobody in this thread up until your post made mention of being 100% exclusive to buying games. Most of the people posting prior to you even encourage emulating if you can't afford it.

>> No.2457235

>>2457154
>That game was 50 bucks complete only about two years ago.

which in mind is still a lot for an open box game from the 90s

>> No.2457247

>>2456732
You should maybe in2reading before responding to people. If you read that post you were responding to it says "the only reasons to own physical copies is (when) emulations is shitty/you can't find an accurate rom", meaning, the only reason to own a physical copy is if it can't be accurately emulated, dumb ass.

>>2456746
Why would you chip a PS2 or Dreamcast?

>>2456818
You'd think so but one of my close friends growing up was a straight up video game family. Had generations of shit.

>>2456898
That's what's stopping me from getting anything for the SNES. My understanding is the hardware is out there but it's far more rare than the actual carts, and you still need a cart with the chip in order to play.

>>2456926
Would be interesting

>> No.2457271

>>2456618
I don't own any retro consoles any more, so I always emulate, though now that I have a bit more money and spare time, I'm tempted to throw myself down the rabbit hole of retro collecting. At least, I kind of want an N64 and a DC (and maybe a Saturn) because the emulation scenes for those consoles are so awful. I'm just afraid of getting ripped off, getting broken hardware, not being able to find accessories or controllers, and stuff like that. Also, I live in a PAL country and I'd prefer to somehow be able to play NTSC games.

>>2456780
I didn't expect the Everdrive 64 to be that expensive...

>> No.2457284

If my Wii can emulate it, I'll do that. It's hooked up to my CRT via component, so the video quality is excellent, and it's very convenient having one box be able to replace five others.

>> No.2457289

>>2457284
I've been thinking of dusting off my Wii/CRT and doing this too. Any advice? I guess the Wii wouldn't be powerful enough to run emulators like bsnes. What kind of controllers can be attached?

>> No.2457304

>>2457289

Go with RetroArch. It does NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis and Turbografx near enough perfectly. It also emulates Neo Geo, CPS1, CPS2 and a few other arcade games with moderate success. No, it doesn't use bsnes, but you shouldn't have any qualms with the quality of emulation.

As for controllers, you should buy a Classic Controller Pro, as that maps pretty well to just about everything. Unfortunately that's pretty much your only option, as the only controllers that work are ones that plug into a Wiimote.

>> No.2457314

>>2457304
RetroArch sounds good, I already use it on the PC, though getting real 240p on a real CRT display will definitely be an improvement.

>as the only controllers that work are ones that plug into a Wiimote.
Ah, damn. I was half-expecting to be able to use USB HID controllers. Do you know if GC controllers work?

>> No.2457319

>>2457314

Yes, Gamecube controllers work, but...

>that d-pad

>> No.2457321

>>2457319
>>that d-pad
Yeah, you're right. I guess I'd forgotten how bad that D-Pad was. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

>> No.2457323 [SPOILER] 
File: 587 KB, 1312x984, 1433744463362.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2457289
>>2457304
RA can be a bit of a bother to get the proper resolution for a given game, especially for systems that have many available such as the SNES and Genesis. Definitely a good all-in-one package, but the standalone emulators for the system work well too, and tend to have much simpler setups for proper video output.

SegaCD and GG are also supported by the Genesis core(as well as the standalone emulator it's based on), and the same goes for TGCD/PCECD games.
NeoGeo/CPS2 are both greatly limited by filesizes, but the games that do work work well enough.

The one area where Retroarch should not be used is GB, GBC, and GBA emulation. It is unable to output a correctly scaled image in any of its video mode variants, be it 240p, 480i, or 480p. http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-vba-gx-fork-2-3-0.371284/ will give you a proper output straight up. Windowboxed, but what are you going to do. wiiMednafen will also do the same, but runs slower

>>2457319
Get a better GC controller.

>> No.2457381

>>2456618
emulation to play
buy to show on my shelf nobody else beside me care.

>> No.2457382
File: 11 KB, 484x358, 1433401107422.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>When to Buy
When you can
>When to Emulate
When you can't buy

>> No.2457414

>>2457323
>Get a better GC controller.
Then why did you post a horrible one?

>> No.2457417

>>2457414
How is that horrible?

>> No.2457434

>>2456746
>you can burn ps2 games on CDR and play them on ps2

Wait... are you serious? I can do this? This is a real thing?

>> No.2457443

>>2457434
Softmods exist. Look up FreeMcboot. There's other ways, too; I have an older mod that boots into HDloader.

>> No.2457452

>>2457434
Pretty sure you need DVD's for PS2. Was a bit of a typo.

>> No.2457459

>>2457452
>Pretty sure you need DVD's for PS2.
Nope. Depends on the game or the rip, but you can use CD-Rs and DVD-Rs in the PS2.

>> No.2457694

>>2456618
>How do you decide?
i have a family - my son come first.
I emulate everything i can. Id rather spend my cash on days out with my son.

>> No.2457726

>>2457694
Is this the new version of wife meme?

>> No.2457754

>>2456840
You have very low standards for what a "high end retro setup" is and probably somewhat high standards for a midrange gaming PC.

You can't even get a PC Engine Duo plus Everdrive for $400

>> No.2457767

>>2457726
no, not him, but some of us are actually normies in disguise...

i refurb/repair/mod genesis consoles and used to fix up ds/lites/xls etc to save up money to buy vidja shit. it takes a while. using my paypal account as my vidja account, essentially.

all actual spare cash that's not --->savings goes towards fun with the wife and our son.

>> No.2457770

How you ever gonna play Chase the Chuck Wagon or Action 52 without emulation or a Flash cart.

>> No.2457837

>>2456618
Easy. If you're a poorfag and underage and retarded you emulate.

>> No.2457849

>>2457837
>projecting this hard

>> No.2457852
File: 21 KB, 306x306, 10986321_436136279879823_282983963_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2457837
>le true gamer

>> No.2457859

>>2457135
Everdrive-MD, cheaper but only cause the loading times are like 3 seconds longer.

>> No.2457870

>>2457323
Do custom viewport settings or integer scale not work on the Wii version? It's trivial to make handhelds work correctly on the PC version even at 240p.

>> No.2457889

Answer: whichever you want.

>> No.2457898

>>2457271
>didn't expect everdrive 64 v3 to be that expensive
100% compatibility baby.

>> No.2457916

If I want to own the game, and see it on my shelf, I buy it.

If it doesn't emulate well, I buy it.

If it's prohibitively expensive, and there is no digital release, I emulate.

If I just want to try out a game with no plans of investing any time in it, I emulate. If I then find I really like the game and do want to invest time in it, I'll probably buy it.

I also don't insult people for going 100% emulation or 100% physical. I dont' give a single fuck how someone else chooses to enjoy their video games.

>> No.2457919

>>2457770
I agree. I have the Dragon Warrior I and II carts, but no fucking way can I afford III and IV.

>> No.2457925

>>2457271
Good news then! Dreamacst is essentially region free. Yeah, there's a region lock, but with shit like Utopia Boot Disc it's a moot point.

>>2457434
Some PS2 games were on CD I'm pretty sure.

>>2457770
James Rolfe supposedly has areal Action 52 cart.

>> No.2457929

>>2457925
>Some PS2 games were on CD I'm pretty sure

Yes, mostly early ones from 2000-01. Spyro Year of the Dragon I know is on a CD.

>> No.2457939

>>2457770
Translated JRPG ROMs. Another essential thing.

>> No.2458719

>>2457849
If you don't know what projecting actually means you meet at least one of the criteria.

>> No.2458750

Do you know what a snes cart is? Just a giant fucking memory card with a single game on it.

So, the solution? Just buy a fucking flashcart and go crazy.

>> No.2458790

Only games I want for EMOSHUNAL purposes are, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Secret of Mana and Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

The rest can kiss the ass of my sexy flashcart.

>> No.2458794

>>2458750
I listened to people like you and got a flashcart. The first two games I wanted to play, Mario RPG and Yoshi's Story, wouldn't work.

Biggest waste of money in a long time.

>> No.2458802

>>2458750
>Just

No. Do research, idgiot.

>> No.2458807

>>2458794
>games that have special chips in the cartridge don't work
Paging Captain Obvious.

>> No.2458953

>>2458794
>I didn't do research and bought on impulse
A fool and his money.

>> No.2458960
File: 90 KB, 999x640, sheldon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2456837
>Buy when emulator is poorly coded

>> No.2459031

>>2458807
Despite what you may think, this isn't common knowledge.

Flashcarts are on a golden pedestal around here. You have retards like >>2458750 that teach the false idea that games are just data on a memory chip, and nothing else.

>> No.2459063

Chrono trigger
Secret of mana
Knights of the round
Hagane
Megaman series
Soul Blazer
Earthbound
Wild mother fucking guns
EVO
Rocky and her sidekick nigga Pocky
and on and on and on

Yep, time to get a flashcart.
Any place online have good shipping to Canada?

>> No.2459065

>>2459031
Knowledge in general seems to be uncommon around here. Clearly >>2458807 lacks the knowledge that this is the only place on the entire internet dedicated to retro on that this is not common knowledge.

You're right. >>2458750 should have said Genesis or TG not SNES.

>> No.2459076

>>2459063
>Chrono Trigger
>Secret of Mana
>Earthbound
>Sould Blazer

What's the point of a flashcart? Off the top of my head none of the titles I just listed will work.

>> No.2459091

>>2459076
https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Wrong. Do some research.

>> No.2459117

>>2459091
Kind of funny you'd post that list because further research than the seller's site will tell you that list is a fabrication to sell more units.

>> No.2459123

>>2459117
ah shit....sorry for sounding rude. my bad.

so basically, it's probably better to just emulate on pc then?

>> No.2459139

Only time i've ever emulated was for trip world, and I'm happy I didn't waste my money on it.

>> No.2459158

>>2457071
Yeah, I can tell you just wanted to knowledge drop game companies not receiving the profit from used retailers and didn't give a shit about the answer. But I can tell you anyway right now that the vast majority of video game consumers do not give a FUCK about 'supporting the devs' when they go to buy a game. They just want to play the good shit and have a good ass time.

The people who buy when they can emulate are obviously doing so because the feeling of ownership enhances the experience for them. Don't understand? That's fine; it's not for you to understand.

>> No.2459163

>>2459123
Nah, get the sd2nes. It seems like it will have full compatability eventually. I was just giving you shit because of the earlier conversation about the handful of games that are worth playing yet won't work..

>> No.2459175

>>2456618
>When to buy
When I want a game that depends on a gimmick accessory (wheel, lightgun, etc).

>> No.2459195

>>2459175
>le epic lightgun meme
>not emulating a light gun with a keyboard like a real hardcore gamer

>> No.2459198

>>2459163
I'll probably consider it when they give some news on them actually still working on it.

>> No.2459280

>>2459195
pleb pls that's what the Wacom is for

>> No.2459298

>>2456618
see>>2456628

Only systems worth buying are N64, Saturn, and PSX. And even then, modchip the latter 2 and buy a flashcart for the N64.

Emulate literally everything else, even newer stuff. You haven't lived until you play GameCube games with internal 1080p rendering and 16xQ Antialiasing Older stuff like SNES and NES works perfectly fine with crystal clear computer displays and benefits from the ability to use various filters to emulate CRTs.

Short of an authentic RGB setup with a Sony Professional CRT, 99% of retro setups involving a 4th generation or before console will be surpassed by an emulated setup. And since I can't afford to go out and search for RGB equipment, I'll stick with emulation for all of my non 5th gen consoles.

>> No.2459305

>>2456746
Plus you don't even have to buy a modchip for PSX, 99% of them are chipped nowadays anyway.

>> No.2459306

>>2459175
>buy lightgun
>burn disc for dreamcast

Games where the hardware is the gimmick like Warioware Twisted. Not so much Micro Machines because emulating it is actually better than the built-in multitap that causes the cartridge to move and freeze the fucking system. Boktai would be another good one, but fuck playing in the sun, and then you just cheat the system or use a rom that lets you cheat the system even more easily. Drill Dozer and Pokemon Pinball was just fucking rumble. Kirby Tilt N Tumble doesn't even work right on the SP. The gimmick stuff is barely worth it.

The DS succeeds in being the least compelling thing to emulate. I don't know why people bother. A mouse is not a stylus. Two screens on a capacitive tablet screen and a controller is not the same. Just get a fucking R4 and the actual hardware.

Also, Atari 2600 are about 100x more fun with a proper joystick and paddle for some reason. I can't enjoy emulating them on a handheld, I have to play with the real controllers or it just doesn't immerse me. Maybe it's because they're so simple or something.

>> No.2459308

>>2457271
Are you looking at the 2.5?
2.5 is like $115 if you get the shell with it and throw in a CRC yourself. That's the setup I have, save for the fact that I use a 2.0.
>>2457898
Who the fuck wants to play N64 Animal Crossing in Japanese anyway?

>> No.2459309

>>2459305
I have never, ever randomly encountered a modded video game console in the wild.

>> No.2459313

>>2459309
Have you dealt with PSXs?

I bought one in a BST thread, guy never mentioned anything about a chip, when I received it it was pre-chipped. I'm not the only one that's run into this before, some other people online I've seen have said the same thing. Apparently PSX chipping is super common.

>> No.2459318

Always emulate if possible. Buy if you enjoyed it to add to your collection. This is what I do. Emulation is better in every way

>> No.2459319

>>2457417
Button layout and a useless Z/select button

>> No.2459320

>>2459318
>emulation is better in every way

Someone doesn't do 5th gen emulation.

>> No.2459398

>>2459313
I have a stack of at least seven of them and only the one that I installed the chip in has a chip.

>> No.2459508

>>2459313
To an extent this has to be pretty exaggerated yet I want to try burning a game to see if mine are chipped

>> No.2459724

>>2459298
What about input lag though? Playing the ps2 emulator has a ton more than my ps2.

>> No.2459729

Buying and emulating are two different things. You emulate games if you enjoy playing them, you buy games if you enjoy collecting them.

>> No.2459827

>>2459729
You buy a flash cart if you enjoy playing games. You emulate games if you're a poor child.

>> No.2459835

>>2459827
>people who aren't poor spend money to have the same experience as people who are poor

>> No.2459853

>>2459835
>what deluded emufags actually believe

>> No.2459856

It's rarely a problem if you really want to play a game and not just practice worthless collecting.

>> No.2459858

>>2459853
4th-gen emulation is perfect. The actual game that an emulator user is playing is no different to the one a collector is playing.

To put it a better way, you emulate if you enjoy playing games, you buy a flash cart if you enjoy playing the hardware.

>> No.2459919

If you bash people who purchase or have purchased actual boxed games, then you are bashing byuu, the creator of higan.

Just sayin'.

>> No.2459965

the only thing i buy is stuff for n64 because the emulation is so shit.

anything else can be emulated fine pretty much.

>> No.2459969

>>2459724
Have you tried adjusting the input settings?

Try using another input method for your controller. IIRC, there's XINPUT, SDL, and DirectInput at the least for most stuff.

>> No.2459985

>>2459919
so? we do anyway. and no one cares about a faggot that already 'moved on'.

>> No.2460039

I've stopped buying games pre-N64 because they're just so damn easy to emulate on my Wii. If it's a surprising good find, though, I'll buy it, like Lifeforce cib for $15. PS1 games I love to collect, so I buy those every opportunity.

>> No.2460138

>>2456618
>When to buy
Never
>When to emulate.
Always

>> No.2460159

>>2460138
>he emulates platforms that don't have accurate emulators

>> No.2460160
File: 179 KB, 879x670, 5shiFPs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If it's cheap I'll buy it
If not and I really want to play it I'll emulate

>> No.2460170

It depends on the game. 95% of times emulation will be better. If you don't give a fuck about worthless collecting and don't give a fuck about authenticity like me it's godly. I even vastly prefer the crisp look of an emulated game where you can see every pixel instead some blurry shit on an old as fuck crt screen.

Though there are some games that need to be experienced on the original hardware, especially if you need special equipment to enjoy those games like a dance mat for DDR. Rhythm games come also to mind that need to be accurate to the millisecond.
There are also some rare cases where emulation is just not good enough.

>> No.2460179

>>2457929
That's a PS1 game man.

>> No.2460181

>>2460170
The bottom line is that someone that is extremely strict on either approach as if it was some weird cult is in the end missing out.
There are merits and disadvantages to all approaches, be it emulation, muh authenticity or even everdrive/softmodding/hardmodding stuff.

>> No.2460183

I like Dave. I bet he's a good dad.

>> No.2460184
File: 1.10 MB, 1280x1266, Retrode2-carts2-matted.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not emulating the games you buy

>> No.2460189

>>2457225
He's not talking about people in this thread

>> No.2460204

>>2460184
It's incredible that there are people that legitimately do that.
It's quite literally the worst of both worlds.

>> No.2460206

>>2460204
It probably makes sense for collectors. They don't play games and just buy for the sake of buying and collecting.

>> No.2460214

Emulation just feels shallow and fake to me. It's great that older games are popular now, but it just feels wrong to emulate. Especially when people play Pokemon and stuff on their androids. It's gross.

>> No.2460249

>>2460184
I'm not sure I understand the point of these. It's easy to get good dumps of every game on those systems. I know ripping the cartridges yourself is the only legal way to emulate, but no matter what you think of retro game piracy, you probably don't think it's morally wrong to download a ROM of a game you already own. As far as I can tell, the only use of that device would be to copy the save ram off the cart and to use the controller port.

>> No.2460254

>>2460214
>DVDs just feels shallow and fake to me. It's great that older movie are popular now, but it just feels wrong to not watch the actual 35mm film. Especially when people watch on their phones. It's gross.
faggot

>> No.2460308

>>2460254
>FLACs and MP3s just feels shallow and fake to me. It's great that older music is popular now, but it just feels wrong to listen to digital music instead of vinyl LPs. Especially when people listen to Neutral Milk hotel and stuff on their iPhones. It's gross.

Oh exploitable.

>> No.2460651

>>2456650
>you're a hoarding manchild who still clings to his childhood toys because of muh feels
There's literally nothing wrong with that. Nice meme, though.

>> No.2460981

>>2459309
Not him but my PlayStation was chipped, kinda disappointed cus I enjoy tinkering with consoles and wanted to have a go at chipping it myself.

It's the only one I've bought so I'm not gonna speculate on how likely it is to get one, but chipping your PlayStation was pretty widespread in the 90s. While 99% is obviously an extradition, I can't imagine chipped PlayStations are uncommon.

>> No.2460985

>>2459508
They can be pretty picky about reading burned games even if they are chipped, you're better off just opening them up.

>> No.2460996

>>2459985
You sound like an underager.

>> No.2461004

>>2460249
It can dump some prototypes, so that is one use. That is what I use it for (the controller port thing is nice but I mostly play on real hardware though), but it isn't 100% reliable for all protos and apparently there are better methods. Not that I plan to publicly release them any time soon, but I like to have them backed up.

>> No.2461021

>>2459853
>WAAHH, NO ONE BELIEVES WHAT I BELIEVE

Fuck off.

>> No.2461037

>>2459919
>If you bash people who purchase or have purchased actual boxed games, then you are bashing byuu, the creator of higan.
>you are bashing a turbosperg who wrote a shitty hog of an emulator and convinced everyone it was the only way possible to accurately emulate a SNES
Wow it's like I don't even have a problem with that

>> No.2461058

>>2461037
>byuu
>look at me, I got the one fast beaner game to work right

Wow, what an accomplishment. Congrats on using 2x the resources for 3 additional game's compatibility.

>> No.2461135

>>2461037
>>2461058

Typical emulator kiddies.

>> No.2461148

>>2461135
Pinpoint where in my post I said I don't use Higan on the Accurate core. But using a shit Speedy Illegal game that I'm never going to play as an example of "Hurr-Durr my emulator is better because it can play one more right" is just plain fuckin retarded.

I use Higan, but I can also bash the creator for being a tardass. Quit hanging on to the one game that's unplayable without your emu, goddamn.

>> No.2461160

>>2461148
If his emulator more accurately emulates the SNES, that is a good thing. As far as I know the point of emulators is to emulate the console, and allow the console's operating capacity to be preserved into the future, so yeah,the more accurate the better.

>I use Higan, but I can also bash the creator for being a tardass.

Awesome.

>> No.2461173

>>2461160
I'm not disagreeing that it's a good thing.

But look at this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/bnovx/bsnes_an_awesome_snes_emulator_dedicated_to/c0nomdk

Here Byuu demonstrates his emulator's accuracy using 2 games with 2 tiny problems, one rendering a game unplayable but it's a licensed game.

I'll admit my bad here, I thought he went on and on about the gonzales glitch on his site but it was one comment here. If that were the case, my comment would be much more warranted.

>> No.2462368

I only emulate consoles I have no money for, like the SNES. That's the only console I emulate.

>> No.2462605

>>2461004
>hogging the prototypes just for yourself
Sharing is caring
Don't be a special snowflake

>> No.2462672

>>2456645
This is pretty good advice right here.

if you really feel the need to purchase something totally out of print then only do it if you can get it at the same price or lower than it was on release.

>> No.2463423

>>2459858
They people who write emulators say it isn't. I'll take their word over a few poor kids on 4chan.

>> No.2463468

>>2462605
I honestly see no benefit to doing so, especially since they are pretty much the only trade-bait I can think of for other prototypes. Some people do fundraisers to dump games, but to me that seems worse than just hoarding them, especially since every prototype I own is of a game that made it to retail release. I probably will someday just for the sake of public preservation, my aversion to entitled 14 year olds demanding teh romz without ever buying a prototype themselves be damned.

>> No.2463472

>>2463423
>muh compatibility
For 4th gen, the only games that aren't compatible with a current emu are the ones that literally no one cares about.

If Super Mario World had some substantial issue, it would have been fixed by now. But it's some bullshit shovelware like "Super Pony Football 3000." that has some really strange coding idiosyncrasy.

>> No.2463485

>>2463472
Well, if you view emulators as a tool used to preserve gaming history, then yeah, 1:1 emulation is absolutely ideal. In the sense of simply playing the more popular titles, then I guess compatibility only matters for the games you want to play. But I don't think you can just write off someone's complaints about compatibility as invalid with the argument "but those games don't count." If the emulator can't emulate all the games that the real hardware can play, and if it can't play them 100% the same as a console, then the emulator isn't accurate.

>> No.2463494

>>2463485
For 99% of people, though, the current form of emus is fine. And that was the standpoint I was arguing. Yes, for archival and preservation, everything should work, but for people that are just playing? The current 99.9% compatibility will do just fine.

>> No.2463682

>>2463423
>They people who write emulators say it isn't
Who? Where?

You also have to gauge someone's autism level when they say something like that. It might be true that some emulator has a slight timing inaccuracy, or some obscure opcode doesn't set a flag, but tiny inaccuracies like that don't necessarily affect any officially released games. If a game doesn't rely on it, it might not affect the experience at all. People only care about it because they care about preserving every aspect of the hardware. bsnes and Genesis Plus GX have 100% compatibility with their official software libraries, and I'm not aware of any glitches. If you are, please tell us.

>> No.2463702

>>2459827
You're retarded.

>> No.2463892

>>2463472
>compatible == perfect
>being this retarded

>>2463682
>Who? Where?
If the other posts about this haven't answered all your questions on this just let me know and I'll try to fill in the blanks. Between your ears.

>>2463702
>I'm a poor child
We know

>> No.2464083

>>2463892
>If the other posts about this haven't answered all your questions on this just let me know and I'll try to fill in the blanks. Between your ears.
Way to dodge the question, but yeah, I would like to know which of "they people who write emulators" "said it isn't", and I don't think any of the other posts in this thread provide that information.

>> No.2464085

>>2463892
>>I'm a poor child
>We know
Cool comeback matey are you twelve too?

>> No.2464098

If you can emulate and don't want to spend $200 on a few games, do it.
If you don't want to emulate, don't.

>> No.2465075

>>2464083
Read the thread faggot. If you're to retarded to read the whole thing just search for byu. He makes the most accurate SNES emulator and that's not even perfect.

>> No.2465450

>>2456618
when the game is over 50$

>> No.2466312

What if the emulator isn't as accurate as the console, but is actually better than the console?

>> No.2466316

>>2466312

This.

Non-emulation fags are delusional.

Literally the only problem is a few non-compatible games. When ti runs, it runs better than the shit console. Deal with it.

>> No.2466326

I like buying games, but if it's unrealistically hard to obtain or just crazy expensive then I won't buy it, I'll emulate it.

Best option is flash cart of course, but we can't always have one of those.

>> No.2466338

>>2466326
>When to buy
A flash cart
>When to emulate
Genesis

>> No.2466364

>>2456618
>Is it at a decent price?
Buy it.
>Is it obnoixously priced?
Wait.
>Has it been obnoxiously priced for a long time?
If yes, then consider how much I actually want to play it, then emulate from there if I actually want to.

>> No.2466395

>>2463468
>I honestly see no benefit to doing so
>Everything I do must have a benefit to me
I have or had rare shit in my possession before too, I SHARED them FOR FREE because sharing is good. That sounds cliche but it's true, games are made to be played and enjoyed by people, not hoarded by some asshole until it dies and now it doesn't exist in any form anywhere and nobody gets to play it or analyze it.

>especially since they are pretty much the only trade-bait I can think of for other prototypes.
This is agreeable I suppose, only because without trading it's impossible to get some things to later SHARE with people.

>Some people do fundraisers to dump games, but to me that seems worse than just hoarding them, especially since every prototype I own is of a game that made it to retail release.
You say you want benefits, this is one way you can get compensation for something people want. It's not like you're putting a gun to their head and forcing them to pay you, they're WILLINGLY paying you because that's what they want, you get compensated for what you paid for the cart and now people get to play a prototype version of a game they really liked and it gets preserved. Everybody wins.

>I probably will someday just for the sake of public preservation, my aversion to entitled 14 year olds demanding teh romz without ever buying a prototype themselves be damned.
At least you're slightly better than most hoarders in that you have SOME plan to preserve what you have. Probably.

>> No.2466424

>>2463468
I honestly couldn't give less of a shit about some shitty prototype not getting dumped, like that faggot from the Lobo thread.

Prototypes for pre-releases as far as I'm concerned are irrelevant.

I haven't seen a prototype that was worth playing anyways. My backlog is so fucking huge that I'll probably never beat everything on it unless all I did was play videogames until I was in my 70's. Some stuff absolutely is just not worth preserving.

>> No.2467487

>>2466424
b-b--but muh verrrry RARE

>> No.2467564

>>2456618
When the price exceeds what it originally went for.

>> No.2467574

>>2459724
Turn off (or minimize) pre-rendered frames and force off vsync in your graphics card settings

>> No.2467584

4S: Steam Summer Sale Special!
https://youtu.be/T3R4NRbAmbA

>> No.2469796

always use real hardware and flash software

>> No.2469812

Depends on your budget, always.

>> No.2470120

If I own the console, I buy it. No matter the price.
I just like owning the games I play.

>> No.2470150
File: 288 KB, 981x1146, 1430966967536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never buy anything.

Jailbroken PS3 + Wii can play everything, and with good controllers even, on an actual TV. I'll admit that playing emulators on a computer just never feels the same as playing it on a TV.

I've said it before here, but I had $1k+ worth of shit stolen from me, so now I don't even bother to keep it. In a way, I'm sorta glad it got stolen because now I'm free from the "collecting" bug, and now all of my retro fits inside a small form factor with no swapping of anything. Oh, and it also plays current gen things as well which I also emulate via the same storage device my retro is on

If I did ever buy retro again, it would probably just be an N64 with 4 Hori controllers and a flash cart. In this day and age (and with my life experiences) I find it borderline unacceptable to be "purist" who needs to play on the original hardware and to not have a flash cart. They let you play romhacks (some of which are awesome), and for all you fags who still have your childhood games, you can just trade in 1 or 2 of the more expensive ones and get a flash cart -- BAM! now you have ever game except 1 or 2 and your collection is complete and it fits inside one cartridge rather than 100 cartridges

>> No.2470219

>>2456618
If it's a really old game, I emulate. I don't use ANY emulator tools though, like save states or effects. If possible I use the original controller. Using emulator tools and not using the original controller is a fucking gaming sin in my eyes.

If it's like 5th gen and newer, and it's a game I think will be really good, I buy it. It deserves to be bought. If it's 5th gen and newer and it's a game that I think will be dumb (and I'm just playing it for laughs) or if I think it will just be okay, I'll emulate.

>> No.2471951

>>2456618
ITT: Insecure people caring whether its right or not emulate

i used to give a shit about whether or not to emulate but when i saw earthbound on the wii u vc for 9.99$ not including tax i knew it would have been hard justifying the price. Besides if you emulate you can play any game you desire without paying a dime. Unless its a dev you really want to support and the price is justifiable for what it is, if not emulate, and stop giving a shit

>> No.2472874

>>2456618
for me, if I own the system and want the cart/disc in my hands... then I'll buy it.

if I refuse to pay that collector shit tier price, or dont own the system... emu every time.

>> No.2473143

>>2456618
>Will I play it on a TV?
Buy
>Will I play it on the go?
Emulate

I generally emulate the portable systems on a PSP and buy everything else.

>> No.2476091

>>2470150
Your junkie friends will be just as happy to steal your PS3 and Wii as they were your retro shit.

>>2473143
>emulates tiny old Japanese handhelds with 24 hour battery life on larger new Japanese handheld with 4 hour battery life

>> No.2476241

>>2476091
The original Game Boy and the Game Gear were pretty large, and it's more convenient to recharge a battery than keep buying several AA's.

>> No.2476292

>>2476091
You seem to forget just how big the original Game Gear and Game Boy were, as well as actual battery life.

>> No.2476339

>>2476241
>>2476292
>Not knowing about any handhelds except the GB, GG and PSP
>Not knowing about rechargeable batteries

>> No.2476345

>>2476339
If you are talking about the NGPC and the WonderSwan, those are quite rare and have no backlight.

>> No.2476465

>>2476345
Just because no one in your elementary school has one doesn't mean they're rare

>> No.2479423

>>2457382
Sage advice.

>> No.2479429

>>2460181
Only reasonable response.

>> No.2479457

If I like the game enough and or its cheap enough I don't mind buying it.

>> No.2479462

If I want the game, I purchase it. If I don't, I don't.

But then, I am an adult with a disposable income. If I weren't, I'd just emulate until I could buy.

>> No.2479578

>>2456618
If it's under $15 ($40 for rarer games) buy.
If you can afford a flashcard, get that for really rare stuff.
For consoles that are way too expensive like TurboGrafx, emulate.