[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 145 KB, 1024x768, castlevania.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2450128 No.2450128 [Reply] [Original]

Why does everybody love Castlevania SotN so much? Sure it was a good game, but every metroidvania that came after did it better, it did not age well, it was too easy and repetitive, an inverted castle does not count as new content. It was not a bad game, it was justed bested by its successors.

>> No.2450132

Just to piss you off, OP.

>> No.2450139

>it did not age well

Bullshit

>> No.2450143

>>2450132
Can confirm this, whenever I play the game, at first it sucks, but then I remember how much seeing me enjoy myself play it will piss off morons like OP, and then I start having nonstop fun.

>> No.2450146
File: 748 KB, 2048x1448, 1433358003336.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2450139
It has pixels you can't have pixels in video games pixels are old you can only be ironic and call it retro

>> No.2450147

>>2450128
>stating opinion as fact

Why do you even care if it's overrated? Clearly others are finding more to enjoy in it than you can.

Instead, how about you stop worrying about what other people think and just enjoy what you want to enjoy and let others do the same.

I'm not even particularly a huge fan of the game myself. I've tried to play it countless times but I think it's just not my thing. I totally get why it's as popular as it is though and unlike OP, I don't give two fucks if it's anyone else's favourite. All the more power to you guys.

>> No.2450154

>>2450146
Minecraft is not a retro skin, Inafune

>> No.2450162
File: 34 KB, 715x532, 1428727016321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Aria of sorrow is better

>> No.2450164
File: 53 KB, 500x479, later homo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

nice "stupid gay opinions" thread, op

>> No.2450165

>>2450154
I really hope Mighty No9 fails.

Inafune is really forcing it hard to make it the next Megaman.

A TV show? All this bullshit and its still not going to be out for months.

Making a 2D platformer is not that hard. Especially with today's technology its a trivial task.

>> No.2450170
File: 7 KB, 304x166, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2450128
>it was bested by its successor
Wow.. it's almost as if they built upon previous work and games that set new standards?

First the MGS was trash guy and now this. Same person maybe?

>> No.2450176

>Why does everybody love Castlevania SotN so much?

Because it was the first Metroid-styled Castlevania a lot of people played you fucking dolt. Also, being improved upon by its successors does not make it a bad game.

>> No.2450180

>>2450128
I agree OP. Don't forget that it and IGA killed off the superior Classicvanias too.

>> No.2450184
File: 17 KB, 192x263, download (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why does everyone love Super Mario Bros so much? Sure it was a good game, but every Mario game that came after did it better, it did not age well, it was too easy and repetitive, playing the stages 1-8 all over again after beating it does not count as new content. It was not a bad game, it was just bested by its successors.

>> No.2450259

>>2450184
Well Super Mario Bros was bested by its successors and so was SoTN.

That's the merit of Igarashi the series got progressively better with each installment.

>> No.2450268

>>2450259
Harmony, Dawn and Order were garbage though.

>> No.2450338

I'm playing it for the first time right now, and I'm really enjoying it.

>> No.2450370

I only liked the first Castlevania

>> No.2450442
File: 239 KB, 1024x768, cotm-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2450128
I love me some SotN, but frankly CotM and AoS are better games because of challenge and balance respectively. SotN was (a very memorable) amature night, and after playing Chi No Rondo (which is the pineapple of Castlevania before Metroidvania), I realize now that they lifted half their ideas from that game.

>> No.2450450

>>2450165
>A TV show? All this bullshit and its still not going to be out for months.
Capcom confirmed a new animated series for Megaman too.

>> No.2450451
File: 113 KB, 545x483, Castlevania - Dracula X - Rondo of Blood (PC Engine) 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2450128
This is the GOAT Castlevania

Everything that made Metroidvania passable with everything that made Castlevanias I through III so amazing.

>> No.2450465

>>2450442
>Rondo is the pineapple of Castlevania
People keep saying this when all Rondo has is good graphics. Konami made a 180 turn from SCV4 with the gameplay.
It's a good game but there's no way Rondo is the best Classicvania game ever.

>> No.2450471

>>2450465
I felt the same way at first. I looked at everything they did in Super Castlevania IV, including whipping in multiple directions and the rotating stages, and felt that Rondo was just a cheap attempt to go for graphics over gameplay and try to jump on the CD bandwagon as soon as possible.

But then I played Rondo of Blood and soon realized I was having way more fun with that game than I did with Super Castlevania.

Rondo of Blood is graphics over gameplay - but the environment, stages, soundtrack, and atmosphere are all much more intense and create an extremely fun experience.

>> No.2450482

>>2450451
>This is the GOAT Castlevania
Indeed.

>> No.2450489

>>2450128
It has a lot larger area (even without the second castle), has more actual content (like spells) than the later ones, has more secret stuff to find and it's not "too easy" if you don't fucking over level you dumbass.

The newer ones are generally very gimmicky (hurr, durr, farm souls and become unstoppable) and are even easy WITHOUT over leveling (Except maybe OoE). Also, they lack a lot of the visual and audio quality that made SotN feel so atmospheric.

It's honestly like comparing a finely prepared omelette with lots of great ingredients and an amazing taste to standard scrambled eggs. You can make the argument that the scramble is "just as good" but you'd be wrong.

It's handily the best Metroidvania. Just because you personally like PoR or AoS more does NOT make them even remotely close to as good as SotN. Sorry.

>> No.2450496

>>2450128
You again?
It hasn't even been a month since you last made this thread. Just fuck off already, you don't have to be obsessed with disliking something.

>> No.2450513

>>2450165
>Inafune is really forcing it hard to make it the next Megaman.
That's kind of the point, genius. Capcom is unwilling to make a new Megaman game that isn't pachislot for mobile phones. Same reason that Iga is making a new 2D game that is essentially Castlevania.

>> No.2450519

>>2450128
>every metroidvania that came after did it better

not in every regard. Harmony of Dissonance could have been much better and Aria of Sorrow, while completely topping it in a lot of ways fell only a bit flat because there was not enough content.

SotN's palettes and textures look old compared to whatever title came shortly after but the CV game on PS1 has the same problem. Then again, it's not really a problem since GBA titles are bound to be brighter because of the smaller screen. SotN cares more about shading since the bigger screen helps that.

>> No.2450531

>>2450489
SotN has the lowest spell count of any of the castlevania games ever made.

Aura of Sorrow had 100 spells and many different classifications of weapons. Dawn of Sorrow had even more than that.

SoTN has like 8 spells, 7 sub-weapons, and there is little in weapons beyond the sword.

The second lowest spell count in the series is has 6 sub weapons, plus 30 spells.

>> No.2450535

>>2450531
quality > quantity

>> No.2450543

>>2450531
>Aura of Sorrow had 100 spells and many different classifications of weapons
And I'm sure you used all of them. :^)

>> No.2450553

>>2450451
This game was worth dealing with use unfriendly roms and all sorts of headaches just to emulate and play through. Easily the best experience of the entire series.

>> No.2450559

>>2450128
At this point, saying Symphony of the Night is the best Castlevania is like saying Final Fantasy VII was the best Final Fantasy.

>> No.2450573

>>2450535
That's pretty weak, AoS and DoS had pretty useful spells.

All the metroidvanias got better with time, the same happen with Metroid. Zero Mission is the best of the series. Fusion is also good gut it was misunderstood.

>> No.2450583

>>2450573
>All the metroidvanias got better with time
>the games released later improved over the title that made the genre
No shit Sherlock.

>> No.2450585

>>2450583
After playing God of Vania, any Metroidvania would be a breath of fresh air.

But you truly don't get back to what was amazing about Castlevania until you head back to the NES, Super Nintendo, and dedicate a whole weekend to find a way to play Rondo of Blood.

>> No.2450792

>>2450128
What a nice way to conceal another GBA thread with your thinly veiled references to them.

You're technically talking about the GBA games, which are not retro... not talking about SOTN.

Nice try.
30 posts and none of you see this.

>> No.2450864

>>2450128
3/10 almost got me mad

>> No.2450869

>it did not age well,

fuck off back to /v/ nigger

>> No.2450873

>>2450553
>This game was worth dealing with use unfriendly roms and all sorts of headaches just to emulate and play through.
it runs smoothly in dracula x chronicles on psp
plus it's portable and comes with sotn

>> No.2450935

I enjoyed Harmony of Dissonance more than SOTN, and probably Aria of Sorrow to, though that one is also laughably easy. I've never had the will to go through inverted castle, what's the attraction?

HoM is best of the bunch

>> No.2450938

>>2450935
>I've never had the will to go through inverted castle, what's the attraction?
it's the second half of the game

>> No.2450941

The castle was tiny as fuck in all other Metroidvania Castlevanias.

>> No.2450968

>>2450941
A combination of a shift to handhelds and drastically declining budgets will do that, since Konami wouldn't allow a 2D Castlevania on a console.

>> No.2450987

>>2450128
>game is overrated

Good for you?

>> No.2451286

>>2450259
>Well Super Mario Bros was bested by its successors and so was SoTN.

That's the joke nigga! We should expect sequels to be better than the previous installments.

>> No.2451289

Like every PSX entry in a long-running series, it's a simple case of babby's first game. If you played earlier or later entries before it, you can pretty clearly tell that there's nothing special about it. The people who love it are the ones who were introduced to the series by it.

>> No.2451297

After playing every "Igavania" once, I thought SotN was one of the worst.

Then I replayed them all (well, I'm actually replaying PoR on Hard and then I still have OoE to replay on hard as well, except from those 2 i've replayed them all in different modes); and honestly SotN is now easily in my top 3 best "Igavanias".

The thing with SotN, is that one playthrough is not enough to realize how really good it is. The game has TONS of cool hidden stuff, like tons of cool weapons, spells, small effects, etc that are easily missable.
Also you need several playthroughs to realize how much freedom you have. for instance, even in the first castle, past the beginning of the game, you actually have a LOT of freedom on the order in which you'd go through areas, and that's without counting the reverse castle.

Speaking of the reverse castle, it is not okay to call it "cheap". For such a thing to work, it means that level design has to be EXCELLENT, so that the game flows well both in normal and in the reverse castle; and it is the case. The level design is fucking smart, there is only a few screens which are boring and require you to use the bat to move around.
Plus, all the new enemies, equipment, items, bosses, etc gives a whole new interest to the reverse castle. It's like the game has barely started at the end of the first one, and the reverse castle can actually be challenging and have much more interesting gameplay.

Finally, to fully grasp everything about SotN, you need to play the Saturn version for all its fantastic extra content. Plus that will make you play a Jap version of the game, and those are harder since you can not buy all the strong shit you can buy at the shop in the US version, at least not as soon as you meet the librarian for the first time (that was stupid to do that for the US version).
You also need to play Thief mode, which starts really challenging.

>> No.2451302

People criticizing the upside down castle forget it's meant to be a boss rush. Even if you are visiting the same areas again it gets over pretty quickly as there are no abilities or items to find.

>> No.2451307

>>2451289
Bullshit. I'd played every CV leading up to SotN, and every one after it, and it's still my favorite.

>> No.2451315

>>2450268

>Order
>garbage

but I digress, not retro...

>> No.2451346
File: 36 KB, 327x295, aztec-sotn.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love it because I played it when it first came out, and at the time it was amazing. To this day I have still not completely beaten it. I have yet to get a full 206.whatever% complete map and have not done a Richter playthrough.

Then again, I only played it twice, first time was when it came out, second time was back in 2009 on the XBLA. Currently replaying it with a friend for a hopefully complete play through.

Anyone remember what you get for ramming the librarian up the ass a couple of times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxMaaeo-cUQ

>> No.2451350

>>2450128
I dunno. Can you emulate it without having to burn CD-ROMs? If so I'll get back to you and let you know.

>> No.2451353 [DELETED] 

>>2451350
Whenever someone says to me they liked a game, and they didn't use the original cartridge and console, do you know what I say to them?

I say "how do you know you like it? You haven't played it."

And they haven't. They've played a piece of programming attempting to replicate what the game is.

>> No.2451362

>>2451297
>since you can not buy all the strong shit you can buy at the shop in the US version

I don't think I ever needed anything from the shop. I always had loadsamone and nothing to spend it on.

>> No.2451406

>>2451353
This retardedly elitist worldview quickly falls apart when you try to apply it to games like jRPGs, where the fidelity of the controller and the screen has little to no bearing on anything..

Before you make an argument about fast forward buttons, I don't play with those, playing on the couch anyway

>> No.2451407
File: 19 KB, 873x687, DIY nose job.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2450143

>> No.2451414 [DELETED] 

>>2451406
Never fails to get a reply baby.

>> No.2451917

>>2450535
lmao, what "quality" spells did SotN have? The only spell I ever used in that game was Dark Metamorphosis.

Circle of the Moon had plenty of useful spells. The ice and fire shields, the various elemental weapon spells, turning into a skeleton, summoning a unicorn that heals you, being able to absorb elemental damage... almost every single spell is useful.

>> No.2451947

>>2451315
The level design was lazy as fuck for a Metroidvania. Only the castle was decent but still gets trumped by anyother game.

>> No.2451951

I agree that SotN is a bit overrated, but it's still a very good game.

The inverted castle may not have been anything amazing, but it does show some good level design that it works in both ways. Of course, it didn't take much to make it work, given that by that point, Alucard can fly and jump infinitely.

And it actually managed to fake out a lot of players. I know some people that fought Richter and thought that that was it. Not many games even try to do something like that, and the ones that do usually don't succeed.

While I don't think the execution of the inverted castle was as good as it could have been, I loved the concept. It really just needed more unique enemies and upgrades.

The thing about metroidvanias is that you want to have a good pacing with the upgrades. Going such a long stretch without getting any new abilities made the inverted castle a bit boring overall. You could explore every area, nothing was really walled off, so the sense of exploration and mystery wasn't quite there.

I'd say Aria of Sorrow beats it. I feel like it's much more focused and polished, and there's much more variety. While some spells and weapons are better than others, I wouldn't call any of them useless.

And if we're talking metroidvanias overall, I think Zero Mission is the closest to being perfect.

>> No.2451960

>>2451951
>I agree that SotN is a bit overrated
You don't really need to say this to fit in anon.

>> No.2451974

>>2451960
I'm aware, I'm merely stating my opinion.

A lot of people hail it as the crown jewel of Castlevania and Metroidvanias in general, and I disagree with that.

There are even some individuals that say SotN was the first good Castlevania game, which I very much disagree with.

>> No.2451975

>>2450128
It's not a handheld, for one. Considering all of these games are pretty easy, with none of them being tightly-designed hardcore platformers, graphics/music/atmosphere goes a long way, and SotN is still aces on that front.

I agree that later games improved the mechanics in various ways, but that doesn't make SotN not awesome.

>> No.2452369

>>2450451

I just beat that game today. Fucking great. got 100% completion now too. I had only played through as Richter though and I decided to try out Maria and beat Dracula with her to get the other ending. Holy fuck she is overpowered. Plus, I looked the most expensive "Tactics" thing or whatever that shows optimal boss strategies and with that special attack Maria is even more crazy strong.

>> No.2452380

I read on here recently that there's a hacked version of Castlevania II that "fixes" everything. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

>> No.2452406

>>2450128
great music
great graphics
exploration
loads of equipment
abilities and magic
familiars
decent map with a twist

really the only thing wrong with sotn is the low difficulty, and there all sorts of ways around that now.

also keep in mind that "metroidvanias" have a shitload of play time, and not everyone likes linear trial-and-error classic castlevanias.

>> No.2452416

>>2452380

http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/

Here you go. Click the thing near the top to change things to English then choose the features you want.

>> No.2452452

>>2452416
Wow this is insanely good

>> No.2452527

>>2450583
Is not always the case, there are games that got worst with time, Final Fantasy for example.

>>2451974
>There are even some individuals that say SotN was the first good Castlevania game
If you ever meet with those guys punch them in the face for my part.

>> No.2452637

What does /vr/ think of the Saturn port?

>> No.2452641

>>2452637
General consensus seems to be that it's okay but was a rushed/sloppy port. The new content isn't all that great.

>> No.2452646

>>2452637
best part is being able to use an item without having to unequip a weapon and throw it into the ground. new areas are only a couple screens long and maria is too overpowered, her ps3/xbox360/psp incarnation played better but even then she's a bit pointless.

>> No.2452651

>>2452646
>best part is being able to use an item without having to unequip a weapon and throw it into the ground
Pretty much this, otherwise you're better off just playing other versions of the game.

>Maria on the ps3/360 version
Huh? Is this a goof up on your part or is she actually playable there and I'm not aware?

>> No.2452679

>>2450465
This is a pretty bold statement. With Rondo we received item crashes, backflips, and nuances with the whipping hitbox and jump controls to give the player slightly more control but in a manner that has to be thought out and controlled well. It had CD-quality music and sounds, cutscenes, kept split pathing and multiple playable characters, and good graphics.

But luckily, you can swing your whip like a flaccid dick and waggle in the air in CV4, right? And dat Mode 7 golem!

>> No.2452776

>>2452637
-extra areas are meh but acceptable
-new power to RUN is fucking great
-having to pause to access the map blows

its a shame the new saturn stuff wasn't thrown in one of the many sotn ports

>> No.2452841

>>2450559
...b..b..but that's the beauty of opinion...

>> No.2452851

>>2450585
>Dedicate a whole weekend to play Rondo

Yeah. Wii VC saved me from that. 5 dollars well spent

>> No.2452864

>>2451289
>try hard tries hard
>wild anon remains unaffected

This wasn't my first CV but being the first of its kind was kind of mind blowing for the time but maybe, just maybe, you're too petty to understand others enjoyment of things you dislike

>> No.2452923

>>2452679
>But luckily, you can swing your whip like a flaccid dick and waggle in the air in CV4, right?
I agree that that move had really limited use, but stop acting like it was all SCV4 had to shine gameplay wise.
Let's not forget about whipping in 8 directions, having full control of your jumps, hanging to grapples and stairs not being a pain in the ass anymore.

Also, I'd take great controls over shitty FMVs and CD music any day, specially when the latter sounded as good if not better on the SNES.
https://youtu.be/4LuFBlUNoRY

>> No.2453051

Sorry if this isn't /vr/, but is there a reason why people hate Lord of Shadows other than the fact it's a God of War type game?

>> No.2453061

>>2453051
>why people hate Lord of Shadows other than the fact it's a God of War type game?
There's also the fact that it's literally Castlevania in name only.
As a game though, regardless of the branding, those stealth sections on the second game were fucking despicable

>> No.2453072

>>2453051
It's just your generic God of War-like game that happens to take place in Castlevania's universe.
I consider it more of a spin-off than a real part of the franchise.

>> No.2453273

>>2451350
You can load the ISO or just mount it with Virtual CloneDrive, for example. Stay away from Daemons, it can FUCK YOU UP

>> No.2453274

the later ones were too much generic anime and had no atmosphere at all, they shouldn't have even touched alucard at all after sotn

personally i don't see how action games and rpgs can mix either

>> No.2453280

>>2453061
>Castlevania in game only
>In a thread about Symphony of the Night

Does Igarashi's cock taste good?

>> No.2453282

Castlevania is one of those franchises where, I don't know why, I can't bother to give two shits about the story

With that said, I focus only on gameplay and for that reason my favorite castlevanias are the third one for the nes (ass blasting difficulty never felt so good) and, although I might get some hate Order of Eclessia for the NDS

The reason being that I don't like games in which I get lost

>> No.2453403

>>2452637
Best version of the game.

There are cons of course, the game is a lot less beautiful as a lot of small graphical effects are missing. There is also more loading times, but they're not a big deal hoesntly, it's just as long as going from a camera angle to another in Resident Evil on PS1; and opening the menu is just as long as opening the inventory in RE1 too...

All the pros of the Saturn version largely make up for the cons. All the new enemies, items, weapons, areas, musics, abilities, etc are great. Being able to do a double-tap running in the 2nd castle really makes gameplay an AWFUL LOT more satisfying.

Ever since I tried the Saturn version, I haven't looked back.

>> No.2453414

>>2450128
I don't think its successors did match it, though. In terms of difficulty the game is broken--even unintentionally--but it's otherwise the best of the Igavanias. The aesthetics, the secrets, the freedom, and sheer scope weren't bested. Its sequels have some things going for them, but SotN is absolutely the best at what it does.

I prefer the Classicvania games by far, though.
>>2453061
I'm not a LoS fan, but it's as "Castlevania" as plenty of other things the series has seen.

>> No.2453430

>>2451353
That is the dumbest shit i've ever read on here and i'm not even an emufag. Jesus, some people...

>> No.2453443
File: 16 KB, 480x378, 261750-13571728719621577-George-Acs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2453430
>people are still replying to this pasta

>> No.2454049

All 'overrated' means is 'i don't like this game as much as everyone else does'.

...no one gives a fuck.

>> No.2454095

>>2453273
>>2451350
Just get epsxe and open the iso like you'd normally open a rom file, there's no need to mount anything.

>> No.2454205

Does Dracula X Chronicles' version of SOTN run at a higher resolution or wider aspect ratio than PS1's SOTN?

>> No.2454639
File: 21 KB, 168x140, 1-ani-phoenix-documenderpt.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2450128
I'm going to try and answer in detail. I hope you understand my points

>It has the most actions at your disposal without going into the menu: magic specials, transformations, transformation specials, weapon specials, and the basic stuff.
>All actions were made to flow into eachother, (as confirmed by Igarashi in a recent interview) which in practice means that backdashing and pressing batform, will shift the backdash's momentum into the batform. The same for the divekick. within batform you can batsmash, which can be repeated infinitely. this sort of stuff creates a nice flow.
>the music is the best quality in the metroidvania games. Their compositions are tasteful and subtle, and fit the era the game is set in. The other games have catchy tunes but their melodies are often obnoxious and feel like their composer was trying really hard to be cool instead of just doing what he's good at.
>the 2nd castle was a surprise for many people and a bold move. Even though it looks the same, the shape of the ceiling in many areas is different, and enemies are also different, making it feel different.
>A lot of love went into creating the castle with small details everywhere. The world as a whole was built on, and experimented with for a long time. The later metroidvania games felt like the castles got just enough work to tell the game's story, and nothing else. They were also shorter. The game has more detail in general, for example alucard crossing his legs when on a diagonal slope to prevent his sprite from going through the floor.
>SOTN had the most relics and items, which are fun to try out and mess with. This makes the game feel like it still has mystery even after repeated playthroughs.
>the sequence breaking and glitches all served to make the game more fun to play and explore.
>highest gfx quality
>shields
>weapon sprites were cool particle style sweeps and didn't use rotoscoping like the sequels.

Any counter arguments are welcome

>> No.2454640

>>2450128
If you're looking to make the game more challenging play on luck mode and don't pick up any hp max up items. The game feels balanced this way.

>> No.2454752
File: 952 KB, 401x292, Sword-of-Dawn.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There is such a huge amount of unused shit in this game, its amazing

>> No.2455072

>>2454752
Sword of dawn was used like a motherfucker.

>> No.2455114

>>2454639
I have to say that the amount of small great and cool things the game has sure make it awesome, but is also what contributed in making it bad.

My point is, sure the sequels don't have as much shit and don't have as many cool details, but they are a lot more properly balanced.

In SotN it feels like they were spending their time adding all the cool shit they could think of, and then realized they wasted all their entire development time doing that, the deadline was near, didn't have time to balance anything or fix any glitch, and then complained they didn't have enough time. To me SotN feels like bad management of development time.

The sequels don't have as much shit, don't have as much freedom, but they do what they do well. There is no point in having a fuckton of cool shit if the game is way too easy even when you don't have anything equipped.

>> No.2455118

>>2455114
NESfag, I don't really have a thing against namefags, but since you use one I've come to see what terrible opinions you generally have.

>> No.2455148

>>2455114
While I would consider Symphony of the Night's brokenness a fault, it's so much more imaginative and interesting to explore (which is, after all, the central premise behind the games in its style) that it still comes ahead of the others by a mile.

>> No.2455165

Calling a game overrated is overrated
Arguing over which iteration/entry in a series of games is overrated

stop doing these things maybe? or proceed as planned?

>> No.2455254

Which post-SOTN game is the best, not including Order of Ecclesia? I don't want that mission based world map non sense.

>> No.2455387

>>2455114
>In SotN it feels like they were spending their time adding all the cool shit they could think of, and then realized they wasted all their entire development time doing that
Actually this is true. From that same interview I mentioned igarashi also mentioned he just let his team do whatever they thought was cool.
But to me this is what makes the game good.

I understand that you find the lack of difficulty a problem, but when you say "unbalanced" I can't imagine what you mean besides the difficulty.

>>2455118
I think old school nes fans have a heightened focus on balance, and don't generally like games with lots of moves and stuff in them. I don't get this at all and am often in conflict with them, but it is a valid opinion.

>> No.2455391

>>2455254
The first DS game in my opinion has the best mechanics I think. dawn of sorrow it was?

You can cancel mid air attacks with a landing and attack again. You can cancel standing attacks with a backdash and attack again, and follow it up with a power attack. Great with the pistol weapon.

>> No.2455451

>>2455391
I found dawn of sorrow to be the worst one on the GBA and DS combined. Sooooo boring and so cartoony and harmless. Just me though.

>> No.2455483

>>2450451
I bought from psn.
hard game..

>> No.2455505
File: 199 KB, 480x270, SCR_20150607_153647.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2455451
Well those are aesthetics, and I think mechanics are more important. POR is too simple and OOE has too much menu switching.

>> No.2455736

Order of ecclesia is my favorite

>> No.2455745

>>2450180

>superior classicvanias

Literally ell oh ell

>> No.2455903

>>2455254
imo they're all great, and all have their shares of qualities and flaws. AoS, DoS, PoR and OoE all can get very grindy in some ways.

>>2455736
I'm replaying it for the 2nd time atm, first time playing on Hard from scratch. PoR was really challenging on Hard from scratch, in a good way, but OoE can get INSANE at times on Hard, I haven't died so much in an "Igavania" before. I just beat the Skeleton Cave and honestly I had to grind for quest items in order to make it.

>> No.2456198

>>2451414
>joke's on them, I was just pretending to be retarded!

>> No.2456602

>>2450176
I actually feel like the other ones didn't really "improve" over sotn, they just did things differently. You can't change systems and still have the same gameplay as the previous one. I love DoS and AoS but they just don't have the effort put into animations and physics. Those things alone set SotN apart. They allow for sequence breaking and much more dynamic play with only a few abilities. AoS and DoS require that you have new abilities to get new gameplay because things like jump height and speed are fixed variables that can't be exploited or played with. I don't know, just feels too static. Feels too much like the developer is controlling the experience. And yes the dev should to a degree but I don't think the player should be able to tell they are controlling the gears.

>> No.2456679

>>2456602
>AoS and DoS require that you have new abilities to get new gameplay
That's the whole point of metroidvania games.

Maybe I misread you but SotN is the one that handicaps the player more than the rest.

>> No.2456771

>>2450519
I always feel embarrassed that HoD is my favorite modern 'Vania. I do agree ot could have been better, but it's so comfy.

>> No.2456821

Which successor was better? Seriously, everything after SotN was a pain in the ass boring shitfest.

You're just hating on SotN because it's cool to hate on popular things, OP.

When you grow up, you'll learn that this is the most immature, stupid thing you can ever do.

>> No.2456859

>>2456821
I've played every one of the metroidvania games multiple times, except SotN. It's by far the worst one in the series.

It's not just that it's easy. It's just plan boring. It has by far the lowest count of abilities of different families of weapons. A lot of the abilities you get are not interesting or only used once, half way through the game it abounds the metroid formula all-togeather. Most of the bosses are trivial with just basic abilities and there are great deal of items that remove all struggle completly.

The inverted castle is the worst example of recycling old-graphics I've ever seen in a video game. At least pallet swaps have different colors. There is a reason the gimmick was never used in another game.

The stat system is a mess, level ups provide almost no stat change what-soever, while finding any of the good armor makes you unkillable. Luck and Magic have too small of an impact to be worth considering so there are basically only 2 stats.

Every other game in the series improved on it in some way.

>> No.2456871

>>2450184
Most underrated comment of the year.

>> No.2456872

>>2456859
>reused sprites in the inverterted castle
>Every other game in the series improved on it in some way.

Every game after SotN basically ripped its mobs from previous games. Half the time they look incredibly out of place, and most of the time its incredibly obvious it doesn't fit the graphical style.

>> No.2456889

>>2456821
All of them. Is just an opinion don't get butthurt for it.

>> No.2456891

>>2451353
I really hope this is a troll. 9.5/10 in that case. If not troll, then 10/10 dumbness, shoot self

>> No.2457057

>>2455745
Well, they are superior.

>> No.2457318

>>2456602
You're basically saying that SotN is better because of the glitches. The freedom of SotN is part of what makes it great, indeed, but it's also the reason why it's so unbalanced. When the player is free to choose between 3 or more areas to go through in the order he wants, there can not be a steady difficulty curve, and at least 2 of those areas will be too easy after you've been in the first one. A good example of that is HoD, if you play it on Hard it's perfectly balanced until you reach the point when you can choose between several areas.

Also of course there should be freedom, but freedom due to glitches doesn't make good game design. The first time I played SotN i missed 2 entire areas because I accidentally sequence broke the corridor with spikes and never realized until much later on and checked a FAQ.

I love SotN btw.

>> No.2457337

To me, the relative easiness of SotN is a snug fit, as Alucard the player should feel powerful. Yes, death robs him of his items/abilities, but he's still the friggin son of Dracula.

In Circle of the Moon, playing as humble Nathan, I really felt like I was weak. Then I discovered the cards.

>> No.2457342

>>2457337
It's funny you say that, because the games really play on those aspects.

Just compare the intros of both games
SotN: badass motherfucking runs around at the speed of light wrecking everything on his path like they don't exist
CotM: Weak human, dismissed and thrown into the pits of the castle like trash

>> No.2457387
File: 159 KB, 400x240, zlCfzR182sQJ0SdEuy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the Castlevania in wich you can flying kick the final boss to death without even touching the floor, on your first run.

It isn't going to be good. Never. Mediocre at best.

Aria and Dawn kicks its ass, Portrait of Ruin spits and piss on its face and Oder of Ecclesia does a fucking bukkake over all its ugly and filthy body.

Also, Mirror of Fate it's miles better in terms of atmosphere.

>> No.2457426

>>2450146
>that image
you have got to be kidding me.

>> No.2457447

>>2457426
I know, right? But I also know that's what draws in money. It's sad but true.

>> No.2457884

>>2457447
I'm getting sick of the pixel fetish circlejerk that everyone's cashing in on. It's as if gamers believe that video games started with SMB1, and nothing existed between 1985 and today.

>> No.2458231

>>2450489
Does it really have the largest area? I mean if you count all the areas PoR and OoE must at least be larger than the first castle

>> No.2458235

>>2451353
Whenever someone says to me they liked a game, and they didn't use the original release and language, do you know what I say to them?

I say "how do you know you like it? You haven't played it."

And they haven't. They've played a piece of programming attempting to translate what the game is.

>> No.2460584

>>2458231
I've seen a list somewhere that counted the number of "screens" (number of areas of the size of a screen) in each game. IIRC SotN was first but only thanks to the reverse castle.

>> No.2461009

>>2456871

I know right? What a genius response critiquing OP by pointing out how childish his views are on classic games.

I wrote it :)

>> No.2461126

>>2450128
You have to understand that at the time, the game was way better than most games that were on the market. Nowadays, practically every game is a non-linear sandbox with discoverable content, but back then it was pretty rare. Main stream games having "RPG-elements" was a pretty new thing at the time. Now, even AAA FPS are routinely designed that way.

Has it aged well? It's aged okay, but it's not as great as it once was because people have improved on the formula. Hell, I'd argue that Metroid Zero Mission is better than Super Metroid, and most people would crucify me for that.

>> No.2461452

>>2450128
>bested by its successors
Castlevania IV came out before SOTN though.

But to answer your question, it's loved mostly because of the soundtrack and art style. I loved it for that reason. But I always thought it was underwhelmingly too easy, repetitive, and with far too much fluff — for example there is no need for like 3/4 of the items/weapons in the game. Also, leveling up makes everything lamer.

>> No.2461498

>>2450132
>>2457884
Seconded.

>> No.2461648

>>2450165
Wouldn't you rather he uses all of the resources reasonably well and made an incredible Mega Man successor? Why do you want to live in a world with a worse game when you could want a great game and not bum yourself out?

>> No.2464713
File: 97 KB, 375x531, Castlevania_Bloodlines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Limited continues + password system
Who thought this was a good idea?

>> No.2464859

>>2464713
The game isn't long nor really hard anyway.

>> No.2464991

>>2450128

Nostalgia, that's it, really.

>> No.2465561

>>2464713
The password is there for people that want an easier experience.

When I played bloodlines and super castlevania as a kid I NEVER used the passwords. I'd play a bit and if I got stuck I'd reset the system and start over.

There are some people like myself who enjoy challenge and WANT the game to limit my continues. Than there are people like you that want things easy.

>> No.2467621

>>2465561
We got a tough guy over here

>> No.2467661

>>2465561

I thought passwords were just there to start where you left off. If they had saving like Zelda did that the time they would have just auto saved your file.

>> No.2469792

because its the best CV