[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 51 KB, 600x433, 168f_gcw_zero_open_source_gaming_console.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2440167 No.2440167 [Reply] [Original]

Why isn't there a bigger market for handheld emulators? I would kill to have something this size that I could carry around anywhere and play retro games. It seems they all are fundamentally flawed in some way. How hard would it be to have SNES tier buttons, a decent screen, incredible battery life, and be able to emulate everything up to 16 bit. I've even tried looking into building my own but I just don't think I'd have the patience.

Is there something out there that I am missing? Something that might be in the works? I just can't believe in this day and age there isn't anything that works like it is supposed to.

Am I the only one who would pay for such a device?

>> No.2440265

>>2440167
There probably isn't a profit there. Selling a device designed to run pirated games seems counter productive.

You sure there aren't any android devices out there like this?

>> No.2440317

>>2440265
Yeah you're probably right.
You think there would be something for android but there isn't as far as I know. Carrying a controller around to use with my phone defeats the purpose completely. I kind of like the PSP Go but SNES emulation is sub par.

>> No.2440319

You can always buy an old xperia play and load it with emulators/roms. They have built in controllers. Runs on android.

>> No.2440326

I just typed "handheld android game system" into ebay. Tons of cool looking options.

>> No.2440386

I went searching through the internet. The only thing I could find that size is this ... http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f280/ ... not sure if you've seen it before.

Amazon has a few larger android devices. The JXD S7800B and IPEGA 9701 seem to be popular.

I wouldn't rule out the controller + phone combo. There are a lot of options, I'm sure you could find a controller that's small enough to fit your needs.

>>2440319
That actually sounds like a decent idea.

>>2440326
You were right, ebay is filled to the bring with cheap Chinese devices.

>> No.2440498

>>2440386
That think geek thing looks neat, but who needs the extra stuff? I'd rather have something like a gameboy pocket. I don't need to watch a movie on it and would prefer 4:3.

>> No.2440514
File: 22 KB, 320x196, gp32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, usually emulation involves piracy, and most companies don't want to get into shady business, there is also the fact that if you are playing roms, you won't be buying any games, and making a handheld with no games available to buy doesn't seem very profitable.

>> No.2440576
File: 139 KB, 932x534, S602_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2440167
JXDs:
Old s602 model, 4.3" screen, good battery. Not really powerful - PSX and N64 stuff will slowdown, but 16bit emulation is as good as it can be. Buttons and D-Pad are reasonabe, L/R buttons.

Newer S5800, it's bigger (5") and more powerful - PSX, N64 and NDS with little to no slowdowns, some games on Reicast (dreamcast) play well. Better buttons and D-Pad, analogs.

those are models I have.

lurk around at Dingoonity for reviews and opinions on chineese handhelds - some of them are good.

Western droidhelds tend to be overpriced, while offering the same quality as chineese counterparts.

You can also buy a droidphone with a good battery (like Philips Xenium series) and a bluetooth gamepad (Ipega pads are universally recommended in this category)

Western manufacturers tend to avoid "emulation console" niche due to legal issues, and if they do, they try to pass it as "linux enthusiast" handheld instead because of that, which adds in questionable features and overpricing.

>> No.2441276

>>2440576
Not OP, but thanks for informing me about Dingoonity. The western droid systems did seem a bit pricy to me.

All this handheld emulation talk makes me want to dust off my old PSP. That's all I used the thing for back in the day.

>> No.2441391

>>2440167
news going around is that the Vita was declared a "legacy platform" by Sony and that by installing Software Develpment Kit from Playstation Mobile, which will be closing soon, some guys have started to work on a open SDK which will lead to homebrew, this will probably lead to Vita CFW, which will turn the Vita, since it has nice hardware specs, in a fine hand held emulating machine.

http://wololo.net/2015/05/24/yifan-lu-needs-help-create-open-vita-sdk-still-hope-dont-psm-publisher-license/

>> No.2441403

I owned a GP2x when it was new.

I still have it in a drawer here, though it only works on AC power. I guess some power component has degraded and batteries aren't powerful enough anymore.

I played and finished several SNES games on it, it worked fine. The battery lasted for ~5 hours if you didn't overclock much.

After the GP2x, the companies making those things broke up and the Pandora started, all this fragmented an already-tiny community. As a result, software quality suffered.

These days I think the PSP still fulfils most 8-bit and 16-bit emulation requirements. It's basically a SNES controller with a good screen. The fact you can also play PSX and PSP games on it is just a bonus.

I'd pay up to $300 for a decent emulation system but I don't think there are enough people out there who would.

A company doing so would also fail to attract investors without its own ongoing revenue stream. The Ouya showed how hard it is to butt in on an established gaming ecosystem already, and all the Ouya required was existing Android games to support a new controller type, never mind a whole new device/SDK.

>> No.2441423

>>2440576
I considered getting one of those JXD handhelds, though I'm always so skeptical of Chinese Android devices, their ROMs are usually complete shit. I've bought "aPads" before and been disappointed.

What do you use for emulators? The usual Robert Broglia and/or RetroArch? Do the devices have root and Google Play or can you at least modify for that? Do the hardware buttons work as a "generic" controller device so games like Meganoid/Stardash also work?

>> No.2441468

the 8bitdo nes 30 seems like a good android controller if you go that route http://www.nes30.com/

>> No.2441481

>>2440167
honestly just get a decent smartphone and use a phone controller adaption for it.

it works totally fine. battery life depends. you have to watch out for good battery life in smartphones. the chinese ones, except for Huawei phones maybe suck balls.

>> No.2441485

I got an nvidia shield portable and I'm very happy with the results. I carry it to play emulators all around. I use it as a tablet too and I'll soon try dos games on it . You can also game stream on it.

Its like carrying a big Xbox controler so the size of the controller+screen is great. Portable 2 is underway too.

>> No.2441489

>>2441423
JXD's (and most chinese handhelds) come pre-rooted. Also one of the first things you should do when you get one is go to Dingoonity and find a recent custom firmware, because that would fix a lot of bugs, clean up all the chineese stuff you don't need and optimise performance for a noticable speed boost. Also rooted by default.

I find Retroarch on android to be an unwieldy mess, but still use it for SOME systems, like MAME.

I don't really know much about "emulation accuracy" though. If both visuals and sound work fine without any visible abnormalities, then it works fine to me.

I use mostly *oid family of emus (Nesoid, Gensoid, SNESoid etc.), because they have all the options I need. They are retail, but I use cracked versions lol.

FPSA/ePSXe for PSX emu. If one does not play the game right - the other one will. Both have OpenGL renderer support and antialiasing, so no jaggies in 3D games.

Mupen64Plus for N64 if N64oid doesen't work right (sometime it does)

D-Touch (get promotional version in the /vr/doom thread for GZDoom support - tons and tons of mods for this one) for Doom, as well as everything else Beloko did - ports of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Quake1-3, Homeworld etc.

Xash3D for Half-Life.

GLTools (russian analogue of Chinafire for modern droids) for making Tegra-specific games to run on Mali, as well as getting some extra graphical effects.
Most of the time hardware buttons are recognised just fine, but sometimes they aren't, and then you'll have to map them yourself, which isn't that hard.

You can also map the buttons to do touch and swipe controls via built-in tool you can summon any time with a special button.

>> No.2441497

>>2441481
some chinese processors are pretty good at not using a lot of battery - For instance I have one of those Blu Vivo Air phones with a MT6592 octocore, and it behaves very well battery-wise. It helps that the MT6592's cores are Armv7 (low power, even by ARM standards).

>> No.2441513

>>2441497
cool, I haven't looked into octocore phones yet.

>> No.2441525
File: 165 KB, 472x354, octocore.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2441513
>octocore

>> No.2441540

>>2440167
Why don't you just get a psp and mod it?

>> No.2441545

>>2440167
It still blows my mind that some SNES games are so hard to emulate on portable devices nowadays.

I mean, what the fuck?

>> No.2441548

>>2441489
Cool, thanks for the tips and overview. They sound pretty good.

>>2441468
> NES30
I own one of these. Really good quality and works fine. It's quite small (as are NES controllers) and my hands cramp up after playing for a while. If you have bigger hands you might want to consider a PS3 DualShock or something else instead.

>> No.2441569

>>2441545
It's not that it's "hard", it's a shitty platform and 99% of people are using PCs to emulate and code for.

>> No.2441573

>>2441548
i have small lady like hands so i always use mini controllers for systems feels more comfortable

>> No.2441979

Question for JXD owners: I am waiting on my s7800b in the mail now and would like to pirate some android games, mainly the GTA releases. Have never messed with android stuff too much before, the .apk files are basically the .roms I take it?

>> No.2442004

>>2441979
I'd recommend against pirating Android games. The Android SDK is well understood. It's trivial for someone to sneak a trojan in and pwn your phone. The games are like 6 or 7 bucks each which seems like pretty cheap insurance.

An APK is a zipfile with a specific path structure inside it. When you load an APK onto your phone and open it in a file manager, the OSs installer decompresses the APK onto your phone's storage and the app is considered "installed" so you can delete the APK. Usually an APK includes an icon and launcher entry so you can open whatever app is contained inside.

>> No.2442014

>>2442004
And if you're pirating games you might also see "obb" files. These go on your sdcard in the Android/obb/<appname> folder. An OBB file is compressed and encrypted data which only the parent app can open. It's common for games to have a fairly small APK but a large OBB.

>> No.2442070

>>2442004
>>2442014
Thanks for the info, I am not worried about anyone stealing any personal info because the JXD will be strictly used for gaming but I will be extra cautious going forward, didn't know viruses were such a problem with android stuff

>> No.2442086

>>2441979
APK is an installer. For smaller games, it is often everything the game needs, but not always. Explaining this would require some backstory.

You see, Android deals with memory in its own, a bit retarded way - most of the times it is justified, since it prevents newbies from bricking their devices - that would be incredibly easy to do if everything would've been open and accessible.

So android divides its memory into "system", "application" and "data" memory.
"system" is self explanatory, you can't access that without ROOT and it's not displayed anywhere in the memory statistics.
"Application" - where device unpacks the applications. This memory is fairly limited, and is predefined by manufacturer. There are custom firmwares that allow you to adjust ammount of this memory through additional scripts you can install. Once again, inaccessible without root.
In most cases defaults to 512-1000 mb, which is not always enough for gaming purposes.
"data" - everything else, easily accessible memory.

Phone memory is "system"+"app"+"data". You cant do anything to "system", but you can adjust how much will be "app" and how much is "data" via scripts.

Sometimes game needs "cache" - actual game data, beside APK (executable) - in such cases, the game's executable is stored in the "Application" memory, and the rest is dropped in the "data" memory, which can be in the device memory itself, or be transferred to an SD card.

Some games occupy a lot (50-100) of app memory, and once that runs out you won't be able to install anything, even if you have a lot of "data" memory left.

It's a matter of memory balance and how much purely android games you are going to play.

For general emulation purposes 512mb of app memory is enough, since ROMs would be stored in the "data" memory. For android gaming you gonna need 2-4Gb of app memory.

>> No.2442087

>>2442086
(cont)

"Pirated" games come with both APK, which you need to install, and "Cahce" which you need to drop into a specific directory. Sometimes, when copyright protection is weak, you can use cracked APK to download the cache the usual way from the developer, without triggering the copy protection.

You shoult chose carefuly, which site you download from. The only one I trust is 4PDA.ru forums, which is a russian site, and you have to register there to download stuff, but all the uploads are verified by both users and moderators. Also on 4PDA there are some mods for android versions of GTA that can make graphics a bit prettier on less powerful devices. A GLTools application, developed by one of the forum's frequent dev's allows you to emulate features of the better GPUs (shaders, texture filtering, framebuffer etc) on not so good ones - like MALI-400 JXD's have - it makes GTA looks much better and play smoother. Also for some retarded reasons GTA uses worse textures for MALI even if it's capable of displaying better textures. There's a mod on 4PDA that brings Tegra's textures to MALI. Use Google translate and ask questions there. Ask in english, since google trans english-to-russian translation is retarded as shit.

>> No.2442101

>>2442086
>>2442087
Thanks a lot I will definitely check that site out

>> No.2442110

>>2440167
>Is there something out there that I am missing? Something that might be in the works?
Let me tell you something that people tend to miss.
All hand handhelds that you see on the market all of them are produced in the same factory.
They work on GCWZero 8 hours,the rest of the time they produce Archos game tablets.
There is no engineering involved,that means no quality of the buttons,pressing,screen,battery,power in mind.
Its made just to be made with saving up a lot of money in mind and high profit margins.
Remember that Tegra 2 chips are 50c/piece and you can make killer portable for very low cost and long battery pack.
But no,they put gimped 2 A7 cores because THEY DONT CARE,no engineering as i said they are made just to be made no planing is involved.

>>2440265
>There probably isn't a profit there.
they cost 30$ to manufacture add 30 more to that for shipping and handling from china.
They are sold for 140$.So yes there is profit in it.
> Selling a device designed to run pirated games seems counter productive.
What are famiclones?Whole eastern europe had them and ran pirated famicom games.
>You sure there aren't any android devices out there like this?
you have no idea what you are talking about.

>> No.2442193

>>2441403
There's the pyra coming (the successor of the pandora). It's gonna have a clamshell design, 5inch screen, haming controls and kb and a dual cortex a15 in a separate pcb (which means they can upgrade the soc in the future). It has some investors but's most probably need a kickstarter. It's estimated to cost around 500€ tho.

>> No.2442212

>>2442193
I don't think this guys know what they are doing marketing-wise.

They try to advertise as "all-round console" and "not your typical android handheld", yet they use ARM architecture which severely limits it's usability, and emulators for Linux are actually performing worse than their Android counterparts due to being initially designed for ARM, not ported to it from x86.

So yeah, it's going to be an overpriced tool for hipsters.

Meanwhile, Chineese manufacturers got a hold on Intel Athom Bay Trail, and already making sub-$100 tablets. It's only a matter of time now for a Bay Trail emu-handheld to appear, and that's going to cause quite a ruckus.

>> No.2442412

>>2442110
>So yes there is profit in it.
Except how big is the market for this? What's the demand for these things? I want numbers.

>you have no idea what you are talking about.
He probably just meant if there were any emulators for Android phones, which there are.

>> No.2442419

>>2440317
> I kind of like the PSP Go but SNES emulation is sub par.

This is why I've been waiting for emulation on the Vita to get decent. Aside from SNES and GBA, the PSP is near perfect for handheld emulating. I'm hoping in the next couple of years Vita gets some good homebrew work going on and I have a reason to pick one up.

>> No.2442725

>>2442419
see
>>2441391
it's happening

>> No.2443139
File: 259 KB, 1529x1903, W3D-Snail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2440167
My hopes on this bad boy to be my ultimate emulator machine

>> No.2443367

>>2443139
Yeah, except it will cost $358 (preorder price), which is more than Shield with hardware being nearly the same.
I think I'll pass on this one.

>> No.2443751

>>2443367
But you cant go with shield on your pocket, also this is a phone so

>> No.2443761

Got my 7800b today and have been messing around with it. Thought I would give the stock system a try before putting any cfw or anything on, have been fooling around with the pre-installed emulators.
So what are the best emulators for this thing? I downloaded the "[S7800B] KitKat Custom Firmware (Android 4.4.4)" from Dingoonity, does this come with the best emulators already? I will have to look into installing it if so.

>> No.2443764

http://www.dx.com/p/2-5-screen-168-built-in-games-game-console-machine-black-blue-3-x-aaa-259090#.VW0B0kYkW3E

Like this? It's an $18 portable NES clone. You can't add new games to it, though.

>> No.2443767

>>2440576
thanks for the info on the JXD, I've been confused about this for a while with all the conflicting information that flys around here.

>> No.2443771
File: 71 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2443767
You should also check out the S7800b, I think the models that guy owns are 2 of the older ones. I'm sure they still work good but personally I went for the 7800 for the 7 inch screen, really nice size and no problems making out little details in games. The parts inside are probably newer too

>> No.2443775

>>2443367
There are other smartphones that are more expensive than that.

>> No.2443810

>>2443771
>S7800b
I've heard the new version of that model is less powerful and over all not as nice as the older version and not worth buying, is there any truth to this?

>> No.2443823

>>2443771
>>2443810
also, what are those antenna looking things sticking out of it in that screenshot?

>> No.2443848

>>2443810
I'm not the most knowledgeable on everything but from what I understand there was a slightly more powerful version available at the very beginning for people who bought right away, I think it was a 1.6 ghz processor rather than the 1.4ghz they come with now. From what I see on forums most people seem to own the b models and all the cfws and everything seem to be geared to them. No clue what the antenna are maybe something just for keeping it secure and in place at the trade show that pic was taken at or something. Mine didn't come with any antenna.

Just pulled this up off a site:
>Note: This time JXD will release two versions of JXD S7800: JXD S7800A, JXD S7800B. The only differences between them are their chip and DDR. JXD S7800B game pad uses the RockChip 3188 but JXD S7800A uses All Winner A31s 1GB DDR3.
>Chip: All Winner A31s, Quad Core, 1GHz (CPU:cortex A7, GPU:Power VR SGX 544 mp2)

So it seems the s7800b is more powerful than the older model

>> No.2443860

>four button joysticks
How do I play Street Fighter II and it's sequels on these things?

>> No.2443876

>>2443860
Like you played SF2 on the SNES...

>> No.2443881

>>2443876
I never played SF2 on the SNES

>> No.2443917

>>2443881
Buy a USB arcade stick, plug it into the JXD, run the game through HDMI out to your TV

>> No.2443923

>>2443881
With the god damn shoulder buttons you sperge lord. Fuck me these kids get younger and dumber all the time...

>> No.2443927

>>2443917
Thanks

>>2443923
Wow rude

>> No.2443953

>>2443927
>rude

Not him, but he's got a point. The picture of the system and deductive reasoning of you've ever even played a retro system would have told you this. But alas, youth is wasted on the young.

>> No.2443959

>>2443953
Mate I'm 23

>> No.2443998

so everything i've found says the dingoo thing on thinkgeek is a fake piece of shit..

>> No.2444010

>>2443959
you are a child... most people on this board are over 50.

>> No.2444049

>>2443771
S5800 is a newer model than S7800b (i have that one too), but the OP wanted something you can carry in the pocket, and s7800b is a bit excessive for that.
My hands aren't that big and I found that playing on s5800 is more comfortable to me than s7800b

>>2443810
Newer JXD s7800b's are locked to the lower (1.3 GHz) frequency at the start, because some users sperged out and been complaining about console overheat (it just get a bit warm on the right side, nothing bad). Almost all custom firmwaes raise it back to 1.6

>>2443848
Both models are actually equal in terms of graphical capabilities - PowerVR chip makes up for lower processing power, however emulators rarely use GPU, sadly.

>>2443761
DO NOT INSTALL IT. HIGH CHANCE OF BRICKING ON NEWER DEVICES, AND LOTS OF WEIRD BEHAVIOUR IN DIFFERENT GAMES.
Firmwares made on new kernels are mostly terrible. Use at own risk.
I recommend this one:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-1-6ghz-(tweaked-vsync-fix)-minimal-rom-wother-fixes-(by-webclaw)/

No such thing as "best" emulator, and installing them is easier than flashing a firmware. here: >>2441489

>> No.2444052

>>2443998
Original Dingoo was the first handheld of thiss type, based off linux.

>> No.2444060

>>2444052
You had to put Linux on it yourself because it came with some weird proprietary thing.

>> No.2444061

>>2444052
No, it was the GP32, back in the early 2000's.

>> No.2444067

>>2440317
have you considered the nvidia shield?

I never ran into any trouble emulating 16bit consoles. PS1 was mostly flawless, N64 was more miss than hit.

>> No.2444072

>>2442212
>Meanwhile, Chineese manufacturers got a hold on Intel Athom Bay Trail
huh? are they allowed to do that?

>> No.2444086

>>2444072
They're Chinese, dingus, they can pirate whatever the fuck they want.

>> No.2444103

I use my Xperia play. It mostly works great except for some of the more graphically demanding SNES games like Super Mario RPG. Just don't make the same mistake I did and try to actually use it as your phone, it sucks at everything but emulation.

>> No.2444118

This is such a frustrating crapshoot.

There are so many of these devices to choose from - GCW Zero, GPD G7, JXD S5800, JXD S7300C, JXD S7800B, Archos GamePad 2, nVidia Shield Portable, IPEGA, Pandora and whatever its sequel is called.

So many reviews say so many different things it's hard to be sure of what's good and what's not.

The cheap ones are all just that little bit too expensive to not be annoyed if you drop the cash on it and it sucks. The expensive ones are ridiculously expensive (Shield is $550 on Amazon).

Meanwhile you can get a brand new PS3 controller for 80 bucks and a gameklip ripoff for $10 and just use your existing phone. A PSP-1000 or PSP-2000 can be had for similar money.

I wish I could use one of these Android handhelds before shelling out the cash for it.

>> No.2444126

>>2444118
move to china

>> No.2444271

>>2442419

What's wrong with GBA emulation? GPSP and TempGBA4PSP have given me no troubles whatsoever.

>> No.2444604

>>2442212
It may be a little overpriced (no official number has been said yet tho) but it really has no competition. Chinese android tablets may have higher specdd socs but they usually suffer from bad build quality, so-so battery life, not very good gaming controls and laggy android emulators. Meanwhile, the original Pandora (with a Cortex A8) had its software and emulators optimised to hell and back (you can run PPSSPP and Drastic AFAIK), and the OS is really tweaked to perform instead to mine your data. The guys working on it are really dedicated and there is a lot of emulators for ARM, but still, since their SoC is on a different PCB it would be relatively easy to put out an x86 version (and it's been talked about). Then you have the full blown keyboard, two full size SD card slots, a plethora of ports, a gigantic battery, optional (and by-passable) 3g module... It's really everything and the kitchen sink. The Pandora had weak spots and rough edges (the first cases, the wifi chips...) but most of them were there because of their inexperience (also with money issues, like everything to do with the craigx guy or outsourcing to china nd the us) and I believe they already learned for that.
It's a pity if it's 500 because for me that's expensive but it really has no competition.

>> No.2444656

i was fishing around in a drawer for something else and came across my gp2x

with the hindsight of quad-core android devices and perfect snes emulation, it's amazing what this thing can do considering it's 10 years old

2x 200mhz cores, 64mb ram, only 2gb sdcard (not sdhc). the thumb stick is useable, though i recall people on the forums paying the price of the console again to have a d-pad modded into the housing. the ABXY buttons are a little soft.

i played about 15 minutes of super metroid, it's mostly playable with auto frameskip, getting 25~50fps. when transparency comes on, like the light when you get the morph ball, it really chugs down to 10fps. i'd hate to see how much the x-ray scope hurts it

the size of the housing looks about right for the rpi compute module. someone should make a handheld based on that.

>> No.2444825

>>2442419
>SNES and GBA
what? I have a pspgo and this emulators run very smoothly without a problem, Am I miss something?
psp mame fba on another hand is awful also I need and emu of dreamcast on the go.
thats why my hopes on W3D

>> No.2446137

>>2444103
Got one of those as well. I had gotten it to do NES and SMS emulation on the go, but then discovered it can do some PSX too. Twisted Metal 2 and Gran Turismo 2 on the go, fuck yeah. Amazingly enough, TM2 seems to run better on this than my i5 PC.

But yeah, the small internal storage, half-GB of RAM, and the weak processor do leave a lot to be desired. Ever see a comic book reader program choke on a 22 page comic? And getting PSX games to work with the emulator that comes with the built-in Crash Bandicoot is a bit of a hassle. Provided they even work or run at full speed, which not all games will.

Still, for the 30-35 dollarydoos I paid for it, it was worth the price. Just for the built-in controls so I don't need a separate controller. Or have to use touchscreen controls.

>> No.2446391

>>2446137
XPERIA play has native PSX compatibility via special converter tool, you don't need to use emulator

>> No.2446547

>>2444049
Damn thanks for posting this man... saved me a potentially expensive mistake... will definitely look more into this before messing with any CFWs
Have been using the "Happy Chick" service and it seems pretty good. Chinese disregard for copyright laws never ceases to amaze me. I saw on Youtube some guy who had an emulator that set it up like those Wii ones where it arranges everything nicely and shows the actual covers for games and stuff, would love to get that on my JXD

>> No.2446549

>>2446547
Would also love to find out any mods that are easy to perform and out there for this thing, a way to secure the analog sticks better would be cool and I heard there is no good heatsink in the 7800's, would be interesting if there was a way to facilitate cooling better

>> No.2446556 [DELETED] 

Well if you know how to make things with technology, you could try making a handheld with a Raspberry Pi, there are tons of them all over the internet.

>> No.2446559
File: 122 KB, 800x531, microcomputers_DSC_3377.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well if you know how to make things with technology, you could try making a handheld with a Raspberry Pi, there are tons of them all over the internet.

>> No.2447351

>>2446391
>And getting PSX games to work with the emulator that comes with the built-in Crash Bandicoot is a bit of a hassle.
That's EXACTLY what I was talking about. And it is an emulator, an officially made emulator. But it was only setup to run the 10 or so games they released for the Play platform, so compatibility is hit and miss.

Seriously, how did you not understand that was what I was talking about when I mentioned "the built-in emulator that comes with Crash"?

>> No.2447969
File: 207 KB, 720x400, PSP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PSP-2000 with CFW, still king of handheld /vr/

>> No.2449228

>>2447969
What's the slowdown like between the 1000 and 2000 from having half the RAM?

>> No.2449247
File: 114 KB, 1024x764, GCW-Zero_zps920576f6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2440167
>It seems they all are fundamentally flawed in some way.
>(picture of a gcw-zero)
How is the GCW-Zero fundamentally flawed? It just doesn't play PS1 or N64 games while smartphones do. It's fantastic for everything else.

>> No.2449420

>>2449247
>xbox button layout for retro gaming
>240p screen
why

>> No.2449430

>>2449420
>xbox
look again
>240p
because of retro-gaming and like all the gph consoles (the legacy the gcw zero adopted) before the zero

>> No.2450043

>>2449228
I've never owned a 1000 so I don't know.
SNES emulators run with RAM to spare.

>> No.2450192

wow gcw zero is sold out everywhere

>> No.2450256

Is it still worth buying a Dingoo A330?

>> No.2450343

>>2449430
>look again
He talked about the button layout and he's right.

>> No.2450364

>>2450343
It has the Y and X buttons of an Xbox, but the B and A buttons of Nintendo.

>> No.2450378

>>2450364
It's only half right. I wonder, is there some kind of copyright on the button layout, explaining why they didn't placed them "right"?

>> No.2450392

It's kind of ironic actually. The PSP is so hacked that it's killed much current potential for an open source competitor like the open pandora.

Combined with smart phones, you have your answer. But fuck emulating on a phone unless it's turn based..

>> No.2451140
File: 69 KB, 1001x1001, gameklipclone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just buy one of these Gameklip clones off eBay.

This one is under $7 with free postage.

Works perfectly.

>> No.2451304

I am planning to buy Xperia Play. Does the built-in emulator have a better compatibility range or just the same as the one used on POPStation?

>> No.2451602

>>2451304
Not really sure, for all I know it might be the same emulator. Check this list:

https://github.com/yifanlu/PSXperia/wiki/Compatibility

>> No.2452067

>>2451602
> Castlevania - Symphony of the Night Broken

useless

>> No.2452257

>>2441540
Not OP, but I just bought a PSP almost exclusively for emulation. I also wanted to try all these "innovative" games people kept talking to me about (many of which are surprisingly retro-gamer-friendly, despite not being retro themselves).
To be honest? The emulators I've tried for it seem to be a bit subpar compared to Android emulators. And with the PSP now being no longer supported and therefore dead and buried, no one's gonna make any new emulators for it, either, nor update the old ones that are already there.

I can look up which emulators I'm running on there but excepting the Sega CD and PSX emulation, I just use my phone to play games on the go. It's an LG Enact. It has a slide-out QWERTY keypad that makes playing emulated games a breeze. Besides PSX and SCD, which it doesn't handle at all (well, I've gotten two games running on SCD, Lunar 1 and Snatcher), I only have problems emulating Pier Solar, unlicensed games and a handful of SNES roms. And Pier Solar sucks anyway. So do most unlicensed games.

>> No.2452269

>>2447969
Except when it inexplicably shuts itself off. And the fact that the majority of emulators for it fucking suck.

>> No.2452291

>>2440167
Because the PSP is perfect and trying to top it is a waste of time?

Also smartphones. Everyone has one, and duARTe can run most emulators.

>> No.2452306

>>2452257
If I remember right, Retroarch has a build for PSP so you could use the up-to-date cores on it. Those'd probably be more updated than majority of other emulators on the handheld.

>> No.2452357

>>2449430
>because of retro-gaming
How stupid are you? If it was higher resolution you could scale everything to be full screen with minimal blurring and artifacts. As this is, some systems will have either a shitty blur filter or be incredibly tiny. People who talk about playing GBA on this thing are going to become physically ill.

>> No.2452845
File: 23 KB, 300x300, f280_a380_pocket_emulator.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f280/?srp=2
Emulate NES, SNES, GBA, Sega Genesis, or Neo Geo

>> No.2453053

>>2452357
I played a lot of retro games on a similar screen on a Caanoo and it looks fucking nice as most stuff maps 1:1. I am as stupid as all the users the GPH consoles have ever had and my health is pretty strong since I never got ill while playing GBA on the thing (even though yeah, it's not 1:1 this time).
I'm pretty sure GCW could have used a larger screen resolution but the fact is that they got away with 320*240 because GPH consoles (and the Dingoo, which is quite smaller and didn't make anyone ill) before it used them, and tat was a viable resolution because most of the games they were designed to play ran at around that resolution.
You can keep calling people stuff and feel superior because of it on /v/.

>> No.2453063

>>2447969
you mean the 3000

>> No.2453070

>>2453063
nope.avi

>> No.2453119

>>2453070
the 3000 is an upgrade in literally every way. Try one out and you'll see

>> No.2453229

>>2452845
I had the Dingoo A320 which home developers managed to hack a version of Linux for. That is my second favourite handheld emulator after the PSP2000. Not sure how good the one in your post is however, the imitations weren't of the same quality and homebrewers didn't take to anything after the A320 really.

>> No.2453245

>>2453119
>having to run homebrew enabler every time
>upgrade
>he says

>> No.2453528

>>2440265
>Selling a device designed to run pirated games seems counter productive.
No, how the fuck would that be? You're making hardware, not software and all the software is already there

>> No.2453798

>>2453245
You turn your PSP completely off each time? What's wrong with you?
And there are some 3000 models that can have CFW permanently installed.

>> No.2453889

>>2449247
It also doesn't play TG16 games. (lol) And nobody gives a shit about developing/porting on it. The official software repository is the same sad, tiny list it's been for ages. Shit is garbage.

>> No.2454165

>>2440386
>JXD S7800B
>IPEGA 9701

I'm this close to ordering a JXD7800b. Anyone know how the IPEGA 9701 compares, though?

>> No.2454198

>>2453245
You're right, having to take 10 seconds to run an app whenever you reboot the system really outweighs the laundry list of major hardware enhancements

>> No.2454219

Will the Vita be capable of handling Dreamcast emulation if it ever gets hacked?

>> No.2454239

Is there any way to get 240p video out from PSP emulators?
I know it works with POPS natively

>>2453798

>And there are some 3000 models that can have CFW permanently installed.
All of them can but you're limited to 6.20 firmware.
If you were thinking of permament 6.60/6.61 hack, then you're thinking of the 2000 model instead.

>> No.2454245

>>2449228

RAM doesn't impact on slowdown really. It just means some homebrew won't work.

>> No.2454587

>>2440319
The Xperia runs at 58Hz though doesn't it? It's shit

>> No.2454590

>>2440576
>Ipega pads are universally recommended in this category
Bought two PG-9017 pads last month. They're complete garbage. The D-pad is shit, hard and unresponsive.

Stay away from chinese shit, or at least don't expect anything amazing.

>> No.2454591

>>2440167
Besides the lack of buttons phones are perfect for emulation.
Phones should get an ultimate gamepad addon. One that is as compact as the phone itself and can click on it easily.

>> No.2454625

>>2454587
>The Xperia runs at 58Hz
Source? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

>> No.2454671

>>2454245
Like what? I thought the ram was just upgraded because they added skype to the 3000. The only homebrew I can think of that actually uses the extra ram is wagic if you use high res card art

>> No.2454689

Get an Android or iPhone, get an emulator in the App store. Get ROMs through whatever website you want.

>> No.2454965

They just need to make a single good gamepad that attaches to your phone seamlessly.

>> No.2454972

They just need a phone that can wirelessly monitor your brain waves so you can control it with your thoughts. Then all you have to do is imagine you're holding a controller.

>> No.2455231

>>2454671

I don't think they had Skype on the 2000 and that had the RAM upgrade. The RAM was used mainly as a UMD cache to reduce load times.
As for homebrew, I believe there are different versions of the CPS2 emulator with 32MB and 64MB support for example.

>> No.2455236

>>2454165
the ipega 9701 performs a bit better at benchmark tests but its specs are the same as the JXD one.

the problem just is that the ipega device has lower resolution.

>> No.2455332

>>2453229
So the A320 is the Dingoo to buy? Not the A330?

>> No.2455365

>>2454587
>>2454625
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_play-3608.php
Bullshit.

Personally I just use my tablet/phone with nes30 bluetooth controller, works perfectly but not exactly portable

>> No.2456042

>>2455236
Okay thank you. Lower resolution shouldn't be a huge deal since I'll just use it for emu and not Android games or anything, right? Seeing it run Dreamcast and PSX well on YouTube made me lean towards the

>> No.2456093

>>2456042
Oh there is one thing. I see the jxd 7800b let's you plug in another controller via USB; doesn't look like the case with the ipega? I'm having trouble finding out for sure.

Would anyone know how many USB ports either have? The Ipega seems to use its for the main conteoller.. does the 7800b have an additional port for player 2?

>> No.2456196

>>2455332
Yeah if you can get one of the models before they changed the LCD screen. Check dingoonity forums for the best info.

>> No.2456205

>>2455365
At least you've got the stand to use with the NES30.

>> No.2456336

>>2447969 >>2440317 >>2441276 >>2441403
>>2441540 >>2442419 >>2444118 >>2444271
>>2444825 >>2450392 >>2452257 >>2452291
>>2452306 >>2453229 >>2453798 >>2454239

>all these psp shills
If it's so great, why the fuck does mine shut itself off randomly all the fucking time?!
And it's not just me, either. It's such a common fucking problem. There are hundreds of thousands of web hits for it and several dozen threads on the playstation forums as well as PSPmod forums.

So tell me, shills: what makes it so great if it keeps shutting down like that?
Also, SNES emulation on it is shit compared to Android.

>> No.2456346

>>2456336
>If it's so great, why the fuck does mine shut itself off randomly all the fucking time?!
probably because you're flicking the power/suspend button. stupidest location ever.

>> No.2456358

>>2456346
Nope. I and several thousands of other people have thought of that.
>turn it on
>place it somewhere flat, untouched
>several minutes pass
>sudden POP sound
>it's turned itself off
I've read literally hundreds of posts about this all over the internet now. Lots of people have the exact same problem with the exact same description. Fucking shoddy-ass construction is what it is. Piece of shit, PSP.

>> No.2456364

>>2456336
>>2456358
You try taking the battery out and only using AC adapter to power it? If it happens with both then maybe there's something faulty with what handles the power in the PSP. This also doesn't sound like a common problem to me, as it's the first I've heard of it.

>Also, SNES emulation on it is shit compared to Android.
I will agree that SNES on PSP is pretty terrible.

>> No.2456381

>>2456364
Google that shit. It's a pretty fucking common problem. I speak four languages fluently and have looked for a solution online in each of them. I have found nothing helpful. Just hundreds upon hundreds of people describing the exact same situation and sharing the same frustrations.

And yeah, I. and everyone else online with this problem, it seems, have tried new battery, old battery, no battery etc etc etc. Always the same problem.

>> No.2456430

>>2456336
>If it's so great, why the fuck does mine shut itself off randomly all the fucking time?!
The PSP's build quality is awful.
Like, it's really bad.

I'm on my 4th PSP (one given to me for free by a friend (in horrible condition, broken analog stick and a replacement stick wasn't working, UMD flap kept opening but no one uses that anyway, etc -- so I replaced it as soon as I got a job, this was years ago), one got dropped (ended up with screen issues and it turned off randomly), I sent back the third because left was being pressed without me touching the d-pad (happened two or so days after I got it), and my fourth is going fine for now).

even just holding the PSP, it feels a little cheaply put together (at least it's quite comfortable to hold)
It's a nice machine, has nice games (native and otherwise), emulation is mostly nice on it (mostly), nice controls (2000 and up, the 1000's d-pad hates diagonals).
but it's easily the least durable piece of portable consumer hardware I've owned, barring a really, really, really shitty Acer netbook

as for your problem, the solution is get another PSP if you still want to use the thing

>>2456346
>stupidest location ever.
it really fucking is
it's an awful design too (in the hold position, it'll flicker between locked and not locked -- there's a plugin that fixes it by making a switch back to unlocked require pushing it all the way up to where the power on/off position is)
there's other problems with it, but that one has been on two of the PSPs I've owned

>> No.2456437 [DELETED] 

>>2455231
from what wikipedia says
>PSP-2000/3000: 64 MB total, 32MB used for system, another 32mb used for UMD cache, available memory not changed for compatibility with 100x models. Skype launched with version 3.90 on the 2k, although only the 3k had a built in microphone. I really think that was the main reason for the ram upgrade, I don't think it had any other official use

>> No.2456440

>>2455231
from what wikipedia says
>PSP-2000/3000: 64 MB total, 32MB used for system, another 32mb used for UMD cache, available memory not changed for compatibility with 100x models.

Skype launched with version 3.90 on the 2k, although only the 3k had a built in microphone. I really think that was the main reason for the ram upgrade, I don't think it had any other official use

>> No.2456442

>>2456440

I'm not sure, was Skype that great a selling point?

>> No.2456453

>>2456442
No but I don't think sony knew what the fuck they were doing back then. Most of the PSP's official features weren't great selling points. Oh boy, I can watch a UMD movie, or download a digital comic to this thing. It was before smartphones were huge so things were a little weird.

>> No.2456520

Literally never had these problems with my PSP.

I bought it pre-hacked from a random dude on eBay who had really looked after it, it even had a full-body stick-on wrap so it had never been scratched.

All I've done is update the firmware and store it in a hard case.

Sucks to be you guys.

>> No.2456539

>>2456520
He probably spies on your through your psp.

>> No.2456682

>>2440265
They could make it do both. Support digital and physical copies of the game and have a small harddrive if it's an older emulation. The SNES has a few handhelds that emulate the snes' operation.

>> No.2456942

Is there a retailer that sells a raspberry pi already assembled with a monitor?

I want some HOMM3 on the go...

>> No.2456993

Get a wikipad? I just ordered one off amazon yesterday.

>> No.2456996

>>2456539
Anon, you must be really ignorant about psp homebrew to even consider that a possibility.

>> No.2457002

The PSP would be a decent portable emulation machine... if SNES emulation on it wasn't so shit. I know it's not powerful enough to handle an accurate emulator like BSNES, but it should have no problems handling something like ZSNES, that is if it were recoded to support MIPS. I remember being able to use ZSNES on 300MHz Pentium II systems with 64MB of ram, and most games ran just fine.

>> No.2457102

>>2456336
>>2457002
What are the difficulties you face with SNES emulation on the PSP?
It's been able to play the games I care about.
I'm just curious what's a deal-breaker for you?

>> No.2457162

>>2456942

Pi is SHIT. Go home shill.

>> No.2457194

>>2457102
I never actually owned a PSP, let alone a hacked one, but I heard some games run unbearably slow.

>> No.2457245

>>2457194

You can usually increase the clock speed to get around that.

>> No.2457262

>>2441391
this is great news. going to re-unbox my vita to update and stuff.

>> No.2457269

>>2441403
PSP still can't into PC-Engine properly. The only emulators it seems to handle really well are handheld based ones like GameBoy Color and Neo Geo Pocket for example. Even then, you might as well play the classic game compilations made for PSP if you care about playability.

>> No.2457292
File: 56 KB, 960x640, 10896970_783163731753350_2992268046226562568_n-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2456942
There is this, but is $300.

>> No.2457345

>>2456336
That's a really fucking odd quotation matrix there

>> No.2457643

>>2457102
Super mario rpg, most spells drops fps down to 5-10
Super turrican literally runs at 10fps no matter what
Super turrican 2 runs ok at first but special attacks and bosses drops fps down to 5-10fps. Also some graphical bugs.

I think there was more games with similar problems but those three are ones I remember right now.

>> No.2457651

>>2457345
To be fair, I appreciate people who quote like that. It's a lot better than the alternative of having a huge vertical list.

>> No.2458061

>>2455236
>>2456093

Researched this. The IPega 9701 has 1 USB port, but it's used for the controller. So, you can take it out and it's supposed to be an OTG port (should be able to connect other controllers, etc., like a PS2 --> USB connector with a splitter if you want 2 PS2 controllers). Has an HDMI mini out. Also has Bluetooth, which can be used to pair a controller. So, I'm thinking my 2 player setup would be the IPega's 'built-in' controller, with a bluetooth controller (Wii?) for the second player connected to a HDMI TV, or the dual PS2--> USB converter I mentioned and 2 PS2 controllers.

As far as I've heard, the battery on the JXD is a little better (5-6 hours vs. 4-5 hours), but the overall performance on the Ipega wins. I also like the shoulder button design and analog stick placement (and start / select placement) a lot better on the Ipega, but that's just preference. Some have said that since the home/menu buttons are right on top of start/select in the JXD, it leads to lots of mispresses.

The JXD apparently has a crappy pack-in charger (that can overheat and melt?!), but you can replace that pretty cheaply with a generic.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether the dpad on the ipega is very good versus the JXD. The sticks are apparently superior on the Ipega though.

Just wanted to compile that for anyone who was interested in these models. I'm planning on getting the IPega next week. I'll let you know what I think of it if the thread is still alive.

>> No.2458205

>>2442110
>you have no idea what you are talking about.

um, yea. That's why I was asking a question.

>>2453528
I didn't think hardware was profitable.

>> No.2458217

>>2458205
Current gen hardware isn't profitable since it can't be mass produced cheaply in China and is sold by console manufacturers at a loss with the idea that they will make it back on software/licensing/online services.

The ARM stuff you find in this thread? That can be profitable.

>> No.2458230

>>2456336
Chill the fuck out, dude. I enjoyed using mine for emulation years ago because Android wasn't big then. I'm sorry my fond memories ruined your day.

I've never had or heard of this problem. Can't help.

>> No.2458269

>>2440167

A friend of mine plays games on some sort of android thing, 3DS flash cards and a PSP, so you have a range of options

>> No.2458363

Over the years I've formed the opinion that playing games on portable equipment is generally both retarded and gay.

The only time I could understand it is if you're in hospital, or going away somewhere and will have a ton of time to kill, maybe on a plane or train, otherwise forget it. Personally I prefer a book/kindle on plane or train.

Otherwise what the hell is the point? Play it right in front of a big screen or don't play at all. Sure it can be fun, but it's like watching tv shows or movies on a small screen... just wait for the right time, then play all you want. Try looking around you and reflecting on the world.

>> No.2458451

>>2458363
Haha that's a valid point. You just need to keep in mind that not everyone shares the aspects of your life that make big screen gaming the best way to go.

I think some people in this thread either like to game during a commute, between classes, etc., and maybe don't have free time for games otherwise.

Personally, I've been using my phone the past few months and beaten several games. Even using the touch screen overlay (something I used to hate), has proven pretty fun/reliable for the *.emu series of Android emulators. I'm married with kids (/vr/ is old people) and have a big boy job, so I tend to only get time to game after everyone else in my household is asleep. By that point, I'm usually 'tired' to the point that I would want to stay in bed, but still end up staying awake a few hours on the net on my phone. By having a portable device, I get the option to play games I missed out on by not having a PSX growing up, etc., and increasing my knowledge and experience of gaming history instead of checking Facebook or porn or whatever. They're both 'wastes' of time, but I've found I feel more accomplished beating an old game than I do lurking threads.

Anyway, that's just my one specific example for why these devices work best for me most of the time. Re: your thing about watching movies on a small screen, I've never had an issue with that. I'd even say that, with earbuds in the experience is maybe more immersive than watching on a normal sized TV (that doesn't have a 5.1 surround sound system hooked up.) I think that all of these -- just like an ebook or a digital comic versus physical copies -- are all valid experiences and have their own advantages and disadvantages.

>> No.2458651
File: 145 KB, 480x512, 1427738803108.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really wish nVidia would just release a Shield variant that rips off the design of the PSP or Vita, as it'd be far more portable than their current offerings and would be far, far superior to the PSP for emulating anything. I'm so sick of waiting for the Vita to get fully hacked, and these Chinese knockoff devices look absolutely disgusting.

>> No.2458746

>>2440167
There aren't a lot of people rushing to make what you're looking for because there are already hundreds of them available.
But someone who doesn't have enough patience to figure out they're totally incapable of making one on their own wouldn't have enough patience to discover that.

>> No.2458814

>>2440167
There is definitely a market for handheld emulators, but whenever it involves Android the mainstream population always want an 'all-in-one' device so they look the other way when they learn that it has no phone support even though Android has a plethora of phone service apps. In that case, these devices do well with the hobbyist community which are pretty small and slowly active.

The Nvidia Shield is the biggest attempt at catering to the mainstream and hobbyist community ever. It has the hardware, the exclusive features and exclusive games. As far as emulation goes, the weakest model being the Portable model is leagues better than other Android-based dedicated handhelds when it comes to performance in 3D console emulators [explosions in Dreamcast SHMUPs via reicast maintain 60FPS where on a real Dreamcast the explosions slow down the game; GigaWing 2 and Under Defeat are two immediate exaples], every such device is able to do 2D/Sprite console emulators so not much to boast here.

>> No.2458872

>>2457102
A lot of problems with layering and slow down in various games for me.

>> No.2459082

>>2458872
Try auto frameskip. The default is 0 or 1 which is a stupid value. With auto frameskip you usually don't notice the slowdown as much, at least when it's only for short bursts (like Super Metroid's X-Ray Beam).

>> No.2459178

>>2459082
Wow, slowdown but not as much. An emulator is only good for intensive games if there isn't even a hint of slowdown 99.9% of the time.

>> No.2459637

>>2440167
It would be cheaper just to softmod a psp. Also getting a flashcart for the ds is cool.

>> No.2459807

>>2459082
If my PSP can stay on long enough, I'll do just that, homie.
Until then, I'll just emulate via my superior Android phone.

>>2458363
I play handheld, emulated vidya at home. I like it. There's nothing retarded about wanting the entire NES/FC, SMS/GG, MD/SG. SNES/SFC, PCE/TG16 and GB/GBC libraries in the palm of your hand. All together, they take up about 15GB and number around 10000 games. If you don't think having 10000 games in the palm of your hand is amazing, you are a joyless person.

Who says "no" to something like that?
A cold, off-putting incompatible person. The kind of person that turns a sleep-over into a stoning. I'd bet you've had rocks thrown at you. Biblical, igneous, jagged, pointy, ninja rocks. And you deserved it. Ya cunt. ;^)

>> No.2460043

>>2456336
>mine shut itself off randomly all the fucking time?
only on emulator?? if not then maybe you
wreck your motherboard

>> No.2460046

>>2456430
>The PSP's build quality is awful.
try one psp go, that shit is really good

>> No.2460085
File: 440 KB, 816x612, 1420666822711.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2453889
Mine plays TG16 and PC engine games just fine. There are a bunch of Dingoo A320 emulators and games that haven't been ported because no one took the to package an OPK for each one. Just copy the directory and create a link to the DGE file in the gmenu2x interface.

>> No.2460112

>>2460085
actually someone has taken the time to package the NEC emulators for the Zero. Temper opk is on the iso zone.

>> No.2460995

>>2451140
These things are fucking awesome.
I bought one off ebay for 5 bucks.

>> No.2461194

>>2460043
Nah, any time. Today, it shut itself off as I was playing (spoilered for non-/vr/) Fat Princess.
It first happened as I was playing the Wild Arms eboot. Prior to that, I played Dark Wizard emulated through PicoDrive all the way through with each character with no problems. It all started after I began playing Wild Arms.

>> No.2461354

>>2460043
oddly enough, the 3001 I'm using only shuts off when I use TempAR and a cheat modifies too much at once, playing emulators or a PSP game has too much going on.

>> No.2461375

You'll never, EVER, beat a game unless it's on the original hardware with the original cartridge, just a friendly reminder to the emulator-fags.

>> No.2461682

>>2461375

>elitist faggotry

>> No.2461897

>>2440167
The GCW Zero had a ton of potential and the games on the download page show it. Really wish I would have invested in one when they were in abundance. Makes one wonder what an open source PSP/PS Vita could be capable of.

>> No.2462615

Ignorant pleb here. I want to turn my s5 active into an emu machine. What's the best controller attachment?

>> No.2462717

>>2462615
Definitely go Moga.

>> No.2462794

>>2459807
You're a fool. I could respect some arguments for handheld gaming, yours are just stupid. You appear to be actually conflating the phrase "in the palm of your hand" with having power and also the fact that it's technologically interesting that it can be fit in such a small space. "In the palm of your hand", is a completely invalid "argument".

>> No.2462843

>>2458651
I would prefer a clamshell version of the PS Vita so there is space for DS3/DS4 size d-pad and buttons. Also, this might allow for a bigger screen. We need to bug Nvidia about this right now.

>> No.2462879

>>2462843
I would just prefer anything not running Droid. DragonBox Pyra looks like another prepay wait list rollercoaster but also the current most promising prospect. Can't wait to get taken for a ride.

>> No.2463026
File: 193 KB, 800x1000, 1431149349454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2462843
>I would prefer a clamshell version of the PS Vita so there is space for DS3/DS4 size d-pad and buttons.
True. When I demoed the Shield Portable, the dpad kinda reminded me of the 360's, which isn't good at all, but still better than the segmented mess of buttons most Chinese devices use. The DS4 has a god-tier dpad by modern standards.
>We need to bug Nvidia about this right now.
Indeed. Is the Portable discontinued?
>>2462879
>DragonBox Pyra looks like another prepay wait list rollercoaster but also the current most promising prospect.
I'm looking forward to the Pyra, but I know it's going to be vastly outdated in specs by the time it comes out and will probably cost what the final run Pandoras were going for. If it at least gets RA support and can competently handle bleeding edge MAME & SNES w/ special chip games fullspeed, I'll defiantly pay the price.
>Can't wait to get taken for a ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

>> No.2463080

>>2462794
You're a cold, off-putting incompatible person. The kind of person that turns a sleep-over into a stoning. I'd bet you've had rocks thrown at you. Biblical, igneous, jagged, pointy, ninja rocks. And you deserved it. Ya horrid fucking cunt. ;^)

>> No.2463154

>>2462615
this >>2451140

>> No.2463195

>>2463026
I didn't have any problems with the Nvidia D-Pad mainly because the games I played were not as precision intensive such as Ultra Street Fighter IV on GRID or they used the analog stick as the main input with full analog support.

The Portable may as well be considered discontinued since there is no official word if any more are going to be manufactured. It would be a pleasant surprise if they restock on the official store after the Shield TV is done being marketed.

Something I would be deeply interested in seeing is a product with the same philosophy as GCW Zero but is backboned by a Tegra processor instead.

>> No.2464675

Does anyone know how good the D-pads are on these systems (IPega, JXD 7800, Shield, etc)? A bad pad really ruins old games that ask for precision.

>> No.2465015

>>2464675
Only used Shield and one of the Dingoos. D-Pad on Shield is hit or miss for a lot of people but is in no way bad. Dingoo d-pad was so-so but it was terrible for a lot of quarter-circle movement.

>> No.2465023

The GCW Zero's hardware and software is fantastic, when they got triple buffering into the SNES emulator the performance boost was phenomenal and 99% fullspeed Yoshi's Island was achieved.

It's just I cannot get past the d-pad and face buttons, I desperately wanna mod them so they're good and responsive.

>> No.2465071

>>2465023

Well, you can do that, right? I've been trying to mod my Zero with a original GB d-pad, which I've heard is better, but cutting it into shape has been causing some problems.

>> No.2465072

People with GP2x F100s and F200s would send them off to be modded from joystick to d-pad, someone on the forums would do it for cash.

GPH later released the GP2x F300 which has a D-Pad. There are a few going on eBay for ~$500 at the moment. Not worth it imo.

>> No.2465687

I heard that you can dump pc engine games on the psp and emulate them almost perfect but im not sure how you do it, i just want to play Dawn of YS on the go.

>> No.2465692

>>2465687

I thought the idea was to inject PC engine roms into a PSP game which was just a collection of PC engine roms in an emulator.
Alternatively there's probably a homebrew emulator.

>> No.2465706

>>2465687
the only working PC engine emulator for PSP hardly has a worthy compatability list to say it's any good. Couldn't even play the CD version of Ys, Cho Aniki or Super Raiden since I kept getting read error.

As for the non-CD games, it's hit or miss. Some games have too many blinking sprites and some are slow no matter what. At least Blazing Lazers runs nice enough but is missing sounds.

>> No.2465710

>>2465692
>>2465706

Im gonna try to inject the pc engine roms into some of the collection games but it seems so complicated, oh well at least i can play Soldier Blade and Bomberman 94 at full speed

>> No.2465768
File: 2.35 MB, 3840x2120, PSP-3000-Silver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Easy to mod and under $80.

>> No.2465826

>>2440386
I got the jxd and it isthe bomb, only thing i am missing is the bluetooth, but only because i'd like to use my bt headphones with it.

Other than that it is pretty sweet

>> No.2465906

After reading this thread I'm pretty convinced to get the JXD S5800.

The 7800 seems too big for comfy handheld gaming.

>> No.2466103

>>2465768
easy to mod, but most emulators on it are finicky and rely heavily on hacks like auto frame skip.

>> No.2466120

>>2466103
forgot to mention, at best you might as well just stuff a memory stick with the tons of arcade and console compilations out there. Most notable compilations are Namco Museum, Capcom Collection Remixed/Reloaded, Sega Genesis Collection and SNK Arcade Collection. There are more to look out for as well since these are almost always better than emulators on PSP.

>> No.2466613

>>2465906
The 7 inch screen is perfect for PS1/Android games. Then again I have big hands so I tend to prefer bigger handhelds/controllers

>> No.2466639

>>2465710
http://wololo.net/2015/02/06/injecting-roms-into-psps-official-turbografx-16-emulator-by-reprep/
you mean this?

>> No.2466684

>>2441391
I'm not a religious man but little baby Jeebus, please make this happen. I need another psp-tier machine with kinda modern specs.

>> No.2466851

>>2466613
Yeah the bigger screen would probably be better looking, but I want something I can drop into a (large) pocket and is not too heavy to sit in bed with.

I've got a 7" tablet and 5" phone, and if I have to carry the screen around I'd prefer to game with a controller on a 5" screen.