[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 354 KB, 1936x1540, vidya2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2431205 No.2431205 [Reply] [Original]

Top five favourite platformers and why.

Go.

>> No.2431246 [DELETED] 

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2

>why

Because I'ma true hardcore gamer ;)

>> No.2431263

>>2431205

Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure

>why

Because I'm an autist.

>> No.2431279

>>2431205
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario 64
Wario Land (SML2)
Mario Land 2
Yoshi Island (SMW2)

>> No.2431290

>>2431205
Sonic CD
Super Mario World
Ristar

um

>> No.2431293

>>2431205
Bonk's Revenge
Yoshi's Island
Goemon 2
Megaman 3
Earthworm Jim 2

Because they are games I like

>> No.2431296

Sonic CD
Rocket Knight Adventures
Mario 64
Jet Set Radio (does it count?)
Bonk's Revenge

Because just plain patrician taste.

>>2431263
sup /v/?

>> No.2431309

Donkey Kong Country 2
Mario Bros. Lost Levels
Revenge of Shinobi
Mario Sunshine

Can't think of a fifth.

>> No.2431337

>>2431309
>Mario Sunshine
not /vr/, but really?

>> No.2431343

>>2431337
Yeah, I got it when I was in high school (or maybe it was 8th grade) and would get up extra early every morning to play it before leaving.

>> No.2431356

>>2431205
Super Mario Bros
Fun
Megaman ?
Fun
Tatsunoko Fighter
Fun
Crash Bandicoot 2
Fun
Super Mario 64.
Fun

>> No.2431360

Super Mario Bros III
Great balance, and fair difficulty on any level.

Rocket Knight Adventure
Fantastic music, and Sparkster handles so well

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Some of the best controls I've ever played with. I attempt to speed run this game every so often.

Super Metroid
One of the most cloned games of all time. Unfolds at a great pace

Sonic 3
Best Sonic, hands down. All that exploration, and flying as Tails helped mix it up.

>> No.2431365

Abe's Oddysee
Mario 64
Alladin
Sonic 2
Rayman

Because they're what i played as a kid

>> No.2431414

>touhou
sage

>> No.2431434

>>2431365
>Alladin
Which one nigga, this is very important.

>> No.2431441

>>2431434
Mega drive/Genesis

>> No.2431467

Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Kirby's Adventure
Super Adventure Island 2
Mystical Ninja 64
SMB3

>> No.2431529

Donkey Kong 64
Sonic Adventure
Revenge Of Shinobi
Strider
Crash Bandicoot

>Why ?

Because DK64, Sonic Adventure and Crash Bandicoot are colorful and fun as hell, and Strider and Revenge Of Shinobi are epi and I love ninjas.

>> No.2431606

in no particular order

megaman 3
ninja gaiden 2
suoer mario bros 3
Castlevania 3
super metroid

why? because each one is, in my opinion, the best of its respective series.

>> No.2431921

>>2431360
are you me?

>> No.2432020

>>2431205
Megaman
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Megaman 4
Megaman 5
megaman 6, 7, X, X2, X3

>> No.2432025

>>2432020
forgot the why
they aren't easy as the rest

>> No.2432980

>>2431205
In no particular order

Super Mario Bros 3
Good length, lots of variety and pleasant, balanced experience

Castlevania 3 (famicom)
Amazing soundtrack, good challenge, replayability (forks in the road, different allies)

Ninja Gaiden 3 (famicom)
Amazing soundtrack, smooth controls, great level design, nice and smooth

Kid Dracula (game boy)
Childhood memory, fun and chill, very nice music here as well

Wario Land (virtual boy)
the best Wario game I never knew about as a kid, perfect balance, variety and fun.
And it's 3D!

Honorable mentions (aka: why only 5? There's too many good ones!)
Kabuki Quantum Fighter, Jackie Chan Action Adventure, Vinyl Goddess From Mars, Hocus Pocus, Bio Menace, Captain Claw, Donkey Kong '86, Crash Bandicoot

>> No.2433065

Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Wizards & Warriors
Wizards & Warriors II: Ironsword
X-Kaliber 2097

1 and 2 are because, I mean, COME ON, it's Mario we're talking about here. 3 is because every damsel you save is another ho to pimp. 4 is because there are times when I feel like a masochist. 5 is because, honestly, that's what got me into Psykosonik.

Also because it would have made for a great anime.

>> No.2433217

Castlevania
Mega Man 2
Ducktales
Contra
Ninja Gaiden

>Why
Because they are actually challenging. New games don't have challenge, just perceived depth.

>> No.2433235

Mega Man
Ninja Gaiden
Mario Bros 3
DK Country 2
Mario 64

>> No.2433386
File: 174 KB, 640x905, Ghouls n' Ghosts Mega Drive cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Castlevania Bloodlines
I really liked how they captured a fitting gothic atmosphere in this game in first place. Graphics and music are superb and overall it is a very challenging, yet fun game.

Shinobi 3
Like CV Bloodlines, the atmosphere, soundtrack and graphics make it for me. While it is not as tough as the other Shinobi games I still have fun with it.

Quackshot
Despite it can be too easy at times, this game can be very addictive.

Ghostbusters (for Genesis)
Same thing as Quackshot. Also I liked how they actually made an effort that the characters resembled as the actors.

Ghouls n' Ghosts (Genesis)
I know this one is too vanilla compared with the other GnG games, but I still think it's pretty great.

>> No.2434208

>>2431205
>sonic 3
i'm so good at it that it's just enjoyable, i can turn my brain off when i'm stressed and just play through the game and get that pseudo "i've accomplished something" feel.
>sotn
i like uncovering the map, the music and atmosphere is perfect, i use new weapons every time, alucard just handles so fucking amazing. it's just all around awesome.
>castlevania 3
the jap version has awesome sound and it's just the right amount of difficult where i don't just give up. versus something like megaman which i really can't enjoy because of its difficulty.
>tomba
i don't think i really need to explain this one but the art, the music, exploration, boss fights, everything about it is just fucking great.

can't think of a fifth one atm but whateva.

>> No.2434338

>Mega Man 4
It has everything I like about the MM series before shit got easy and then hard again much later on
>Super Mario Bros. 3
>Super Mario Bros. 2 USA
Combined they introduced everything I enjoy in a Mario style platformer
>Pulseman
It's just fun incarnate. Colorful, crazy, and tells a bizarre story through gameplay rather then cutscenes. If it were more difficult it would be perfect.
>Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Aside from the perfect melding of level-up gameplay and platforming, anything I say on this one would be immense spoilers.

>> No.2434387

>>2433217
I get the others but

>megaman 2

All the other games are harder

>> No.2434438

>SMB3
The amount of items, the variety of worlds, and the increasing difficulty makes it my favorite platformer to date. Yes, I like it better than DKC2.
>Megaman 3
Felt like Megaman 2 but with a bunch of extra goodies.
SMW
It's not great, but it is a lot of fun
S3&K
Everything amazing from both games in one game. It was so cool that in one playthrough, I could visit Angel Island, Hydrocity, Ice Cap, Flying Battery and Lava Reef.
DKC2
It's really the atmosphere and difficulty that makes me love this game.

Why are there people saying SM64? It's a collectathon...

>> No.2434457

Yoshi's Story because colorful and so cute
Warioland 1 because cool
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon because why not
Sonic Adventure 2 because all that content
Mario 64

honorary mentioning: Rayman 2 and Prinny 1

>> No.2434481

>>2434438
Well the only thing you collect in mario 64 are coins, the stars are more like missions (race with koopa, defeat X, Go to the top of X)

>> No.2434523
File: 55 KB, 486x472, 41562_front[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2431356
>Tatsunoko Fighter
>Platformer
wut

>> No.2434542

>>2431205
Super Mario World
Crash Bandicoot 3
Megaman X
Tomba
Donkey Kong Country

they're fun games

extra bonus round:
rayman 2, mario sunshine

not /vr/ edition:
battleblock theater, dustforce, rayman legends

>> No.2435139
File: 1.77 MB, 1278x720, vr style nostalgia.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2431205

Metroid
Rocket Knight Adventures
Super Mario World
Toe Jam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Wario Land 3

>why

Because muh childhood.

>> No.2435334
File: 181 KB, 718x540, 1406701238912.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. Super Ghould n' Ghosts
2. Aladdin
3. Megaman & Bass
4. DKC 2
5. Super Adventure Island II

Obviosuly not the the "best", and heavily impacted by nostaliga by my favorites.

>> No.2435339
File: 117 KB, 492x430, tatsunoko.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2434523
This game, for the PC Engine. There was a GameCenter CX episode about it.

>> No.2435348

>>2431205
Sonic 3&K (other than things like Sandopolis 2 and the barrel, it's absolutely fantastic)
Yoshi's Island (fun stage design, looks great)
Ristar (looks gorgeous, cool controls, underwater stage that doesn't suck, fantastic soundtrack)
Shatterhand (this is outright my favorite NES game)
Megaman X4 (favorite in series, playing as Zero)

>>2431263
stop that

>> No.2435369

>>2431205
SMB 3
SM World
Megaman 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Spyro the Dragon

I had an NES, Genesis and then PS1 growing up, so most of the games on my list are for the obvious nostalgia.

>> No.2435991
File: 139 KB, 320x224, anim01.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ghouls 'n Ghosts
>some of the best level design there has ever been in a 2D platformer, tons of enemies to deal with and they're just random enough to keep things interesting without being unfair
Ristar
>novel arm stretching/grabbing mechanic which is used in a large variety of ways, very replayable with secrets and branching paths
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
>expands on everything Sonic 1 and 2 did right with more, and larger and more complex levels, minibosses, multiple different playable characters, elemental shields, better special stages, and so on
Dynamite Headdy
>incredibly varied throughout, new ideas are constantly thrown your way and nearly all of them are fun and well made
Virtual Boy Wario Land
>not sure what it is about it but it's probably the most fun I've had in any game collecting coins and power-ups and shit, which I usually find a bit tedious

Not /vr/: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
>unique and surprisingly fun control scheme, nuanced and satisfying score attack mechanics, never played anything else like it

>> No.2437606

Megaman 2
Not as hard as Megaman 3, but maybe that's why I like it. Really fun to speedrun. Aside from that, Megaman in general has pretty much the tightest controls you could ask for in a NES game.

Shinobi III
Makes you feel like a ninja without wanting to throw your controller across the room.

Megaman X
Expands upon everything that made the classic series great. Level design, boss fights, music, so much of this game is amazing. The way some levels change depending on what order you go about the stages is really cool.

Rocket Knight Adventures
Really cool mechanics, fun level design, challenging without being frustrating.

Yoshi's Island
Absolutely gorgeous game, and just top notch platforming all around. The only downside is baby mario crying, but that just motivates you to get good.

Honorable mentions:
DKC2
Fantastic game, but it just doesn't really do anything to make it stand out above the others I've mentioned

SotN
Really wanted to love this game, and I think the reason why I don't love it so much is because I played Aria of Sorrow before I played this. There's tons of weapon variety in that game, whereas Alucard just has swords or things that basically function as swords. The inverted castle was kind of a cool concept, but it just ultimately felt like filler to me. You don't get any upgrades or anything throughout it. Aria of Sorrow is much more evenly paced. Still a fantastic game though.

Super Metroid
The really floaty controls, and boss fights that range from underwhelming to annoying prevents this not just from being one of my favorite platformers, but favorite games of all time.

This list is subjected to change, as I need to experience some more 3D platformers.

>> No.2437656

>Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
Basically Super Mario World with much greater imagination. It's to Mario what Link's Awakening is to Zelda.
>Super Mario 64
Still a fantastic 3D platformer.
>Goemon's Great Adventure
If it only had an internal battery...
>Donkey Kong Country 3
Still all so slightly edges out DKC 2 for me.

>> No.2437676

Kid Chameleon
Jack Bros
Kirby Superstar
Castlevania SOTN
Ristar

am I cool yet

>> No.2437682

>>2437676
Jack Bros isn't a platformer.

>> No.2437685

>>2431205

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Super Metroid
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Metroid Zero Mission
The Knytt games

Honorable mentions for: Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, Fez, Flashback, Trine, Cave Story, Rogue Legacy, Keen's Dreams

>> No.2437705

>>2437685
Oh and why. I love Metroidvanias, it's so much fun to backtrack and unlock all the world. The above also have great music. The RPG elements add an aspect of customization in the CV games.

Keen Dreams is hilarious, looks good, and is also a good challenge.

Knytt, Fez, Cave Story, and Rogue Legacy are captivating and funny.

Caves and Agent are huge fun games with a wide range of difficulty.

>> No.2437720
File: 1.47 MB, 215x200, 1345124862306.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2431205
>Donkey Kong Country 2
My favourite video-game, period. Best mechanics, memorable level design, best atmosphere, best soundtrack, nostalgia nostalgia nostalgia. This game is the reason to get your SNES SPDIF/Coax modded. NEEDS to be seen in RGB too.
>Yoshi's Island
Beautiful game, great mechanics, great level and enemy designs, and Koji Kondo makes some of his best stuff. Deserves to be seen in RGB.
>Kirby Superstar
Solid game and mechanics, some of the most memorable levels and areas I can remember in a game, amazing soundtrack, and dat co-op. Again, needs to be seen in RGB.
>Wario Land 4
Read the 600-page analysis.
http://danielprimed.com/warioland4/
>VVVVVV
Yeah yeah, not /vr/, but my god this is fun. One simple bit of control makes for tough yet fair platforming, along with a great Commodore aesthetic, cute story/characters, and a fucking godly soundtrack.

Platformers are my life, get on my level.

>> No.2437721
File: 22 KB, 243x384, smw979002498.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm gonna focus on pure platformers and not action games like Castlevania or maze games like Metroid.

1. Super Mario World

My personal favorite game of all time, even though SMB3 was my first Mario game, and I had played other earlier platformers before like Pitfall or Pac-Land, SMW is just brilliant in its execution, design, art direction, everything about it I love.
The controls on SMW haven't been topped yet for me, I don't like the physics of the New SMB series as they feel more like heavier, slippery SMB1 physics. SMW is fast, swift and very maneuverable. Because of this I use SMW as a tool when I have to test controllers, input lag or anything like that, I know SMW's controls and physics all too well so I can notice when there's small inaccuracies.

2. Sonic 2

If there's Mario, then there's gotta be Sonic. I played Sonic 1 first, shortly after SMW. I fell in love with the momentum-based gameplay, the art direction, THE MUSIC; the bright colors. But Sonic 2 took all of that to the next level and made the game longer, added the spindash, and had an incredible final boss and ending. I used to beat this game almost every weekend with my friend. Good memories, that's all.

3. Adventure Island III

The Adventure Island series has always been one of my favorites on the NES. They're the definition of what a classic platformer should be for me.
Hard to pick only one, I like them all, but I'll go with III I guess.

4. Goemon's Great Adventure

The Goemon series in general is amazing, and it's hard to choose between them all. But I think GGA was the climax of the series, it incorporates all the good things from the older 2D titles with amazing 2.5D graphics that actually add to the game's depth (like being able to take alternate routes on the background).
The co-op play and the incorporation of Miss Impact, the silly, nonsensical story (trademark of Goemon), and of course the music.

5. Yoshi's Island

A lecture on game design theory.

>> No.2437729

>>2437606
SotN was not as balanced as the Sorrow games, especially Dawn of Sorrow.

There are ways to completely nerf SotN and the economy is stupid, you'd need to grind the whole game 2 or 3 times to afford the most expensive item. It's a great game but it does have some flaws.

DoS seems to be all lessons learnt in previous games combined into an attempt at the perfect Castlevania platformer. The tactical soul system really helps keep weapons and abilities varied.

AoS and DoS are such a great combo together.

>> No.2437734

>>2437720
Hey, hey you. Speaking of non-retro and platformers... Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the best games I've experienced in years. Genuine 9/10.

>> No.2437757

>>2437729
Yeah, I can totally understand why so many folks are nostalgic for SotN, but AoS just has more polish, I think.

There are some things that SotN does a bit better though. It's kind of hard to say which is better, but if you pushed me, I'd probably say AoS.

I also have similar feelings towards Super Metroid and it's GBA successors. It's hard for me to say which is better because each one excels in different areas. Super has the best sense of exploration. Zero Mission has the best controls, and the really cool segment with the zero suit. Fusion has fun and varied boss fights and the SA-X is amazing.

Also if you take into account speedrunning and sequence breaking, Zero Mission actually has more viable routes than Super Metroid does

The theoretical perfect Metroidvania lies somewhere within all that.

>> No.2438704

>>2431205
Mega Man 2
Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Island
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Mario World

>> No.2438721

>>2431205
Captain Claw
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Croc 2
Super Mario Land GB
Castlevania III

>> No.2438760
File: 245 KB, 750x1334, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Super Mario Land
(every other donkey kong game)
Bubble Bobble (cos why not bro?)
I loved these games since I was small, I never ever really picked up on other games like Zelda and Castlevania because these games were easy for me and lol I suck at video games still. But I'm now an FPS player and I like alot of other games to play. But still play Bubble Bobble and Super Mario Land by doing speed runs this is getting too long just need to say a few more things ahhhahahaha

>> No.2438974

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Super Mario Bros. 3
Megaman 2
Super Metroid
Shinobi 3

To be fair, I listed shinobi 3 and super metroid because others did so, but to me they aren't really platformers.
So I would give a honorable mention to kirby superstar and abe's exodus.

>> No.2439189

>>2438704
people are actually writing the whys so i guess i will to

>mega man 2
it is amazing. levels are just the right length so that you can blast through one if you need to kill a couple minutes or burn through the whole game if you have nothing going on. aside from a few choice spots, the difficulty is just right. never hard enough to get annoying. i absolutly loved the power ups as a kid and i still do. i just love mega man.

>super mario 64
its so charming, and i love that you can tackle the stars in pretty much any order you want. the delightful soundtrack assures that repeating levels never feels like a hassle

>Yoshi's Island
its just great in every way

>sonic 2
THAT. SOUNDTRACK. The levels never really have any bullshit moments and have just enough areas where you can feel like you are going fast

>super mario world
what can i say that hasn't been said by every game reviewer ever? its just fun

>> No.2439289

>>2431205
>Banjo Tooie
Collectathons are my thing, I like getting 100% in levels and seeing a complete screen checklist. It's better than Banjo Kazooie, too.
>Super Mario World
standard, I know, but it doesn't get boring for me. Cape is fun, feeding yoshi is fun, the only part of the game I don't like is the 3rd Castle (Vanilla Dome) because I can't beat it. Have to have somebody else do it every time.
>Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel
Common rental for me, that fun flying.
>Mega Man X4
Special place for me because it was the first one I beat. That's a platformer, right?

No fifth one I can think of. Donkey Kong Country was always fun but I never beat it, would just fool around on the animal companion levels.

>> No.2439329
File: 73 KB, 500x375, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2431205
Crash Bandicoit
Mario 64
blues journey
ghouls n ghost (if it counts)
that sonic game where you can go fishing

there was a DOS platformed that i loved so much but i will never remember the name

>> No.2439393

>>2439329
blue's journey is a wierd one
theres some boss battles but i think you can just ignore most of them
theres some grinding involved if you want to have enough flowers to actually afford any useful items

>> No.2439453

MEGAMAN MINUS INFINITY = BEST GAME EVER

MEGAMAN X = ALSO BEST GAME EVER

SUPER GHUOLS AND GOBLINS - GREAT CONCEPT NOW ACTUALLY WITHOUT BULLSHIT AND 16 BITT

SUPER MEAT BOY - PERFECT PLATFORMER/10

SONIC 2 - SONIC 2

SMB 3 - POLISHED SMB, USING IT'S FULL POTENTIAL AND WITH TACTICAL ELEMENTS

>> No.2440296

Monty on the Run
Sir Lancelot
Manic Miner
Jill of the Jungle
High Seas Havoc

because multiple buttons scare me

>> No.2440310

>>2431205
I'll keep it /vr/

Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 2
Castlevania Chronicles
Mega Man X
Aladdin on SNES

Honorable mention to Super Metroid, which is one of my favorite games but not for its platforming.

>> No.2440391
File: 75 KB, 580x300, shinji-mika.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2440310
>Aladdin on SNES

My nigga

>> No.2440394
File: 27 KB, 3672x224, mario-8-3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2438974
I would consider Shinobi III a platformer.
It has a lot of areas where for the most part you just run forward and deal with enemies, but then, so does the original Super Mario Bros.

>> No.2440410

Monster World IV - everything about it is adorable, especially the player character Asha. The level design is wonderful and the combat is pretty darn good. It even has a pretty nice story for a platformer.

Super Metroid - great exploration and atmosphere, and unlocking more of the world with each new power up feels super rewarding

Super Castlevania IV - hitting things with the whip feels super satisfying in this game, and the level design is really fun. Also dat ost.

Umihara Kawase - super cute and super challenging game that makes interesting use of physics by using your hook to make your way up the level.

Super Mario World - classic 2D Mario platforming goodness at its peak (to me at least). Really fun level design and it was even more fun to look for the secrets.

Honorable mentions: Kirby Superstar, Umihara Kawase Shun, Yoshi's Island, and Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-kun - Cuteness adds a lot to games for me

>> No.2440428

Prince of Persia (SNES)
DKC2
Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania III
SMB3

>> No.2440818

Sonic 2
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Mega Man X2
Super Castlevania 4
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

>> No.2440845 [SPOILER] 
File: 23 KB, 407x395, 1433106216254.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2431205
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Banjo Kazooie
Kirby Super Star
DuckTales

I play games for fun

>> No.2440880

The objectively correct answer is to pick any combination of these 7 games:

DKC2
SMB2(J)
SMB3
Zelda 2
Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night
Metroid

>> No.2440894

>>2440880
>original Metroid

Why

Also Zelda 2 isn't even a platformer.

>> No.2440898

>>2440880

>SMB2(J)
>Zelda 2 being a platformer

You can't have an objective list with those two on there. Japanese SMB2 is way too basic for most and frankly frustrating. And Zelda 2 isn't a platformer so it can't qualify for a platformer list.

>> No.2440902

>>2440894
I left out Megaman 2 / 3. Either are acceptable to include on a short list of one's favorite platformers.

>Zelda 2 isn't even a platformer
This is the stupidest thing I've read in a while. Yes, it is.

>Why original Metroid?
Because it's an excellent exploration-based platformer, much of which is non-linear. It was groundbreaking for its time.

I'm sorry if you just got lost and gave up, but I have fond memories in the very early '90s of exploring Norfair and Tourian.

>> No.2440907

>>2440898
SMB2(J) was a perfect sequel. Back when it was released, many players had completely perfected SMB1. The original was the most popular platformer at the time, so pretty much everyone overplayed it.

Then SMB2(J) came out. It offered the same mechanics, but much harder gameplay. Basically, it was a release just for the true fans. I fucking loved it.

>> No.2440912

>>2440907

The fact it was a release for people who mastered the first one means it's more like an early DLC than a sequel. If game sequels were all "more of the same", the game industry would never get anywhere and many of the best games ever made wouldn't exist. The average gamer found SMB hard as balls, without making it harder. There's a reason they released the good SMB2 in the west instead.

>> No.2440913

>>2440902
I wasn't trying to be antagonistic or anything, I was legitimately curious why someone would have Metroid as a favorite. Most people just go for Super Metroid.

And I just see Zelda 2 as an action RPG with some light platforming elements.

I wouldn't group it with any of the other games on your list.

>> No.2441346

>>2440880
>>2440902
>zelda 2 is a platformer
you can jump in mario kart 64, is that a platformer to? how bout super smash bros?

>> No.2441383

>>2431205
I only do 2D platformers... so, in no particular order:

SMW
Cave Story (not really retro)
Valdis Story (not even remotely retro)
SoTN
Odyssey (by Audiogenic, for the Amiga)

The last one is sorely underrated/undiscovered but is just so comfy and clever with what it does.

I've never played Super Metroid, but it's next on the list, I suspect.

>> No.2441950

>>2440880
Zelda II, Symphony of the Night, and Metroid are pretty shit as platformers. Those games focus primarily on entirely different things than platforming. Jumping related challenges are secondary at best, and that's being generous.
How far do you take this? Would you consider Paper Mario a platformer? How about Beyond Oasis? Quake? Ecco the Dolphin?

>> No.2441995

>>2440913
>I was legitimately curious why someone would have Metroid as a favorite. Most people just go for Super Metroid.

I'm wondering that as well. The game is much more difficult than the others in the series. Most of time you'll be focusing on trying the go the past the enemies that respawn when they're out of sight rather than actually exploring. It feels more like a survival game rather than an exploratory one.