Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 37 KB, 640x360, snes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2430297 No.2430297 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

So my iBuffalo SNES pad came today. Is it just me or are the d-pad and shoulder buttons on this thing a little wonky? It's praised to high heaven but the pad feels so squishy and loose (was the SNES pad like that? It's been a while), and the L&R buttons give the most annoying clicking sound when I press them down in my usual spot. It's still better than 99% of what else is out there and I'm not going to complain about an $8 controller, but I was just expecting more from the "God Tier" of emulator controllers.

>> No.2430306

Buy a ds3

>> No.2430340

3rd party controllers are crap 99% of the time; the only nice ones I've come across were for the 2600.

>> No.2430345

super fam originals are like 10-15 dollars on ebay why buy 3rd party?

>> No.2430347

>>2430340
Not OP, but I remember there used to be a /vr/ infograph on best controllers for a PC, and the buffalo was top tier.

You probably should have just gotten a DS3/4, though. It also works for modern games if you want to play them, and the button layout resembles the SNES's. I prefer 3, but I heard you can use 4's touchpad as a mouse...

>> No.2430435

>>2430297
>was the SNES pad like that?
If anything my SNES pads are very firm. Hard to do diagonals, very analog.

>> No.2430447

I'm honestly not even a big fan of the official SNES controller. I hated trying to do diagonals on it.

>> No.2430864

>>2430297
>"god tier"
Lol this is what you deserve for unironically believing in /vr/ong recommendations about meme gay controllers.
I'm laughing at you from the highness of my Xbox 360 device.
> awesome build quality
> extreme accuracy
> buttons still work as wonderfully as they did when I bought the controller
> no compatibility issues with Windows
> suitable to any game
Also
> dpad not as bad as /vr/says

>> No.2430875

>>2430297
It needs a little breaking in. Sadly the L&R's do give a click sound, that's unavoidable. The D-pad feels sticky and loose but with a little bit of use you can get used to it, it doesn't actually detract from accuracy in any way it just feels weird.

It's considered god tier because it is, the controller has no glaring flaws and costs under 10 dollars, though personal preference may keep you away it still performs fine as a controller.

>>2430864
>awesome build quality
No. 360 controllers can go defunct for any number of reasons, and you are more likely to have issues for simply holding it the wrong way because the toggles are such shit. Overall the build quality is average and nothing to write home about.
>extreme accuracy
Says a person who hasn't used a next gen controller for any significant amount of time. 360 joysticks are suffering.
>buttons
Yes the buttons are good.
>no compatibility issues
Same as most good controllers.
>suitable to any game
Except anything that requires accuracy, so exclude most games that require a D-pad.
>it's not as bad as people say
Go play a fighting game, go in practice mode so you can see your inputs, and use the D-pad instead of a joystick. Now try to do combo's while watching the input display.

>> No.2430878

>>2430875
There has to be a way to fix the d pad.....I own 3 of these..... :(

>> No.2430880

>>2430864
>> dpad not as bad as /vr/says
No, it really is awful. It's far too easy to accidentally hit diagonals. I'm using a 360 controller for emulation right now, but I'm going to replace it with a DS4 or an Xbone controller as soon as I can.

>> No.2430884

>>2430347
>>2430297
the d-pad n the ds4 is way better. On the ds3 if you are off center on the directional arrows you might actually tilt the pad left or right/up or down and it registers as the wrong direction. The trackpad as a mouse is wonderful if you have a pc hooked up to a lounge tv or something and the trackpad button is really useful for setting up a hotkey like autofire etc. program to get for DS4 drivers is inputmapper.

DS3 is still good though, and is probably really cheap now anyway. If you do get one OP the best program for 3rd party drivers is called Better DS3.

>> No.2430891

>>2430864

Not /vr/

But yeah I'm a fan of the 360 controller as well but the d-pad really is terrible. Fanboying is bad.

>> No.2430892

Best options are mk2 saturn/megadrive 6 button controllers for older games and a DS2 for ones requiring analogue sticks.

>> No.2430894

>>2430297
>It's still better than 99% of what else is out there

I warranty

>> No.2430905

>>2430884
good joke.

>> No.2430917

>>2430864
>> dpad not as bad as /vr/says
Holy fuck, could you be any more -- as you say -- /vr/ong?

Anyway, I like PS3 controller for /vr/. Not fanboy, but it's a decent all-purpose controller. PS4 controller is even better, and the Wii Classic Controller Pro (not the Wii U one) is good also.

Xbox honestly has the shittiest controller for anything that might want to use the Dpad. It's good for PSX or something, but most /vr/ wants a Dpad and if there is anything that the Xbox controller particularly excels at, it is at having the worst Dpad

>> No.2430920

>>2430345
curious about that myself

>> No.2430930

>>2430917
>>2430891
>>2430880
>>2430875
You people shit on the Xbox 360 controller only because you have ogre hands. In my tiny delicate hands Xbox 360 feels just great.

>> No.2430942
File: 17 KB, 480x345, FDR3DJXFK9170FF.MEDIUM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2430942

>>2430930
>ogre hands
False, I have soft girl-like hands that have never done manual labor, and I'm underweight. The Dpad is gross

In the Xbox360 controller's defense, I have never used the model where they "fixed" the Dpad. There's one where the Dpad twists or something into a more raised Dpad that apparently works better.

I have only used pic related piece of shit

>> No.2430979

>>2430942
They didn't fix shit, it's still horrible. I was pretty disappointed when I bought one.

>> No.2430983

>>2430979
>>2430942
There's nothing to fix in the 360 controller, it's perfect. Also why is /vr/ so obsessed with Dpad? The analog stick works great for old games, especially for arcade games.

>> No.2430986

>>2430983
How can you be the authority on "things to fix in the 360 controller" if you don't use the D-Pad? Trust us, the D-Pad is broken.

It doesn't matter though, because the D-Pad has _already_ been fixed in the Xbone controller. Even Microsoft knew it was broken.

>> No.2430987
File: 74 KB, 1280x720, 1432600802330.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2430987

>>2430930
In my tiny delicate hands I am forced to hold the controller in a position where I am constantly putting pressure on the joysticks, because of this they all become loose after around 6 months of extended use.

>> No.2430994
File: 124 KB, 500x500, Woody hurt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2430994

>>2430979
HEH.

>> No.2430995

>>2430986
I would implore for you to ask for a refund, nothing wrong with my D-pad, works better than anything else besides Nintendo's.

>> No.2430996

>>2430875
>360 controllers can go defunct for any number of reasons,

My first usb 360 controller lasted something like 8 years with daily usage plus it hitting the ground by accident every other week.

It still works, minus one of the shoulder buttons, and the case being a bit yellowed.

The d-pad is fine enough that I can pull 60% damage combos in skullgirls or 1cc keio flying squadron on hard. The one problem is that if you press it "halfway", you get the tactile feedback of the membrane being pushed in, without the input actually firing. But that takes maybe 5 minutes to get used to.

>Go play a fighting game, go in practice mode so you can see your inputs, and use the D-pad instead of a joystick. Now try to do combo's while watching the input display.

This is a bullshit comparison. If the guy never played with arcade sticks, only with controllers, then he'll do 10 times worse with a stick than with even the shittiest gamepad. I've got myself a stick multiple times now because they were supposed to be great, but I can barely make a circle motion on them, plus they get my hands tired after an hour of play (seimitsu ls-56-01).

>> No.2431001

>>2430996
The issue I was highlighting is the imprecision of the D-pad which does exist unless you are skilled enough to overcome it. That point is about being good at fighting games but showcasing all of the inputs game will register you doing when you think you are only doing a few because of the wonky D-pad. You can eventually compensate and become good with it but that still requires a great amount of practice to overcome the inherent flaws in the D-pad design, especially when attempting diagonals or transitioning in or out of them. There is no reason to waste muscle memory learning to use something inferior when there are many other fully functional options that exist and provide greater ease to perform the same task.

>> No.2431016

>>2431001
It took me all of 5 minutes to "compensate" for the "wonky" x360 d-pad. And yes, I do play fighting games a lot, and have checked the inputs in practice mode often - I'm not seeing any superfluous motions either. Yet, with an arcade stick or a SNES pad, I can't do the same motions as easily or at all (the only game I'm better at with a stick is Virtua Fighter 2 when playing with Akira).

It doesn't matter which controller is objectively better. Everyone has brains wired differently and hands of different sizes. What matters is which controller is more natural and comfortable for you (ie. which one is subjectively better).

>> No.2431062
File: 1.36 MB, 1500x1029, git-gud-scrub.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2431062

>>2430297
>anything other than real controllers connected via USB adapters
>"God Tier"
pic related

>> No.2431071

Sls sega saturn usb or snes with usb adaptor for dpad games. Xbox 360 for games that require analogs. Sony controllers are pisss poor build quality imo

>> No.2431076

>>2431071
idk, i've been using the same PS2 controller for like ten years and never had any trouble with it

>> No.2431083

>>2430884
>On the ds3 if you are off center on the directional arrows you might actually tilt the pad left or right/up or down and it registers as the wrong direction.

this shit's been driving me nuts for almost 20 years
Sony's d-pads have had that issue since the original PS1 controller. They do pretty great diagonals (well, not the DS2, or at least not any DS2 I've ever encountered -- the DS1, 3, and original 1080 are fine), but they're way too easy to mis-input.
The DS4 really fixes that?

>>2430864
>360 d-pad
>input HCF
>get 2xQCB

no, it's shit
it's also got a surprising amount of compatibility issues on Windows -- LT/RT are one axis to all DirectInput programs (so, most older PC games, most emulators for /vr/ systems) because Microsoft's a bunch of fucks

>>2431071
>SLS Saturn USB
isn't it cheaper and easier at this point to just get an original Saturn controller and a USB converter?

it's what I did, shit's beautiful

>> No.2431105

>>2430297
somebody didn't read last controller thread. the dpad ain't the same thing as the original either. looks different underneath too.

>> No.2431107

>>2430864
>extra bait on top

the 360 controller is not a good choice for retro with that dpad position.

>> No.2431127

>>2431062
USB is junk. It has no interrupts, it works on the principle of "let's check it a million times a second to see if any data is coming in".

Real men use parallel port adapters.

>> No.2431128

>>2431107
That's why you buy something dpad only. 360 has best analogs

>> No.2431134

>>2431083
>input HCF
>get 2xQCB

Then you are doing something wrong if that is the input you get.

>isn't it cheaper and easier at this point to just get an original Saturn controller and a USB converter?

Best choice is actually getting a replica saturn pad, harvesting its pcb, and putting it in a genuine saturn pad. usb converters add lag.

>> No.2431142

>>2431127
If only there were a solution for connecting DB15 joysticks to a pc running a modern OS.

>> No.2431143

>>2431134
>usb converters add lag
yeah, that 10 microseconds of input lag is the problem, you couldn't possibly just be fucking up or anything

>> No.2431159

>>2431143
more like 100000 microseconds.

>> No.2431167

>>2431159
>implying .1s input lag ever
please, even i'd have noticed that much lag

>> No.2431203

>>2431143
you don't know what you're talking about, I was playing with a ps2 > usb converter for a long time and when I eventually got an actual pad (madcatz sfxt) I was anti airing way too early because of the crazy input lag the converter had.
(still today I fuck up with it, same with stick)

>> No.2431367

>>2431167
Oh whoops how did that extra 0 get in there

>> No.2431449

>>2431134
>Best choice is actually getting a replica saturn pad, harvesting its pcb, and putting it in a genuine saturn pad. usb converters add lag.
Huh, that sounds like a good idea. I've a shitty PlaySega pad that I could use the PCB from, should try the swap.

as for the input thing, it'd happen infrequently enough that I could use the controller
but there'd be all kind of weird "I didn't even kind of input that direction" shit with the 360 pad going on every once in a while

>> No.2431460
File: 224 KB, 1280x960, IMG001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2431460

>>2431134
>>2431449

>> No.2431478

>>2431460
Lol have fun with that small thing of broken plastic.

>> No.2431480

>>2431478
I have.

>> No.2431493

>>2431460
Is that a playsega/saturn frankesntien? how did it end up? Ive got 1 SLS which is nice and 2 playsega, which are not quite as nice, just wondering if i could fix them with this.

>> No.2431496

>>2431493
yes

>> No.2431501

>>2431071
I used to like the ps3 controller, but realized how shit it was after using my ps2, 360, and ps4 controllers.

>> No.2431547

>>2431478
>Lol have fun with that small thing of broken plastic.

Still better than the fucking SNES pad. I can barely use those nowadays because I'm too afraid that I'll end up breaking it in half if I actually grab it properly. Plus he start and select buttons barely feel like you pressed them down (the Saturn Start button is similar but not as bad), and the d-pad is the worse I ever used. I just don't get why people consider the SNES controller good, other than being blinded by their nostalgia goggles, or if the USA pads used better quality internals than the European ones (which I doubt).

>> No.2431559

>>2430297
It'll warm up a bit, mine felt a little wonky but after some use it's extra comfy

>> No.2431564

>>2431547
Dear sir, now you can realize why I said that Xbox 360 controller is better than everything else. Yeah maybe it's true that its dpad isn't the best in the world, but at least it doesn't break the 2nd time you use it.

>> No.2432009

Anyone has any experience with those USB Retrolink controllers? I'm looking to move from my Xbox pad to a Saturn pad and I found one Retrolink Saturn for pretty cheap

>> No.2432018

>>2431083
I'm not sure if the ds4 fully fixes the issue as I hardly play mine and haven't had much of a chance to use it on my pc except for the occasional indie game, but I at least have to actually try to get the dpad to mis-input, never had it happen on accident.

>> No.2432062

>>2430306
>>2430347
DS3 has an annoying flaw, which is difficult to explain and not immediately apparent.

Basically it's loose in its slot, and the buttons connect with the cover if it moves too much to the side. The d-pad has a very inconsistent feel once that happens - especially with light presses.

>> No.2432081

just use a dualshock 2 with an adapter like a normal human being

>> No.2432440
File: 30 KB, 500x500, 8Bitdo-SNES30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2432440

I recently bought the SNES30. This thing looks and feels amazing.

>> No.2432484

>>2432009
>Retrolink
They're trash. I bought one for my brother (and burnt a cd with emulators and roms) and he ended up being really frustrated with it. I tried it myself, thinking it was broken, and it's just not a very good controller. It manages to be stiff and yet overly sensitive at the same time.

>> No.2432578

>>2432440

Hows the dpad? Any noticeable imput lag? I'd love to get something wireless like that for living room emulation, but can't seem to find anything decent.

>> No.2432620
File: 1.11 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_20150527_210142~2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2432620

>>2432578
The d-pad feels really nice. I have purchased a few other SNES controller clones in the past including the buffalo and this is by far the best. I am about to purchase a second. I haven't noticed input lag but I can't say I have been playing any too fast paced.

>> No.2432653

>>2432620

Thanks for the recommendation anon, I'll be sure to look into it once I have a bit more money.

>> No.2432682

anyone know where you can buy the japanese saturn usb pcbs?

>> No.2432781

>>2431142

They actually make cheap modern PCIe sound cards with a DB15 midi/joystick port.

I wouldn't use the actual audio hardware on it but the joystick port works fine.

>> No.2432789

>>2432653
The Famicom ones are nice but hurt my hands after too long.

>> No.2432792

>>2432620
>>2432440
>I can't say I have been playing any too fast paced.
So you're basically saying you have not tested the controller at all, and yet you praise it to high heaven based on superficial information? Typical.

>> No.2432851

>>2432081
>terrible trigger
>horrible shape
>useless "button sensitive"
>awful dpad
yep! Sound like a good idea. How much for this controller again ?

>> No.2432863

>>2432851
>terrible trigger
As opposed to no triggers at all? How is that a downside?
>horrible shape
How so?
>useless "button sensitive"
Helpful if you emulate certain PS2 games. Otherwise a non issue.
>awful dpad
Hardly different from the Nintendo d-pads in practice.

>> No.2432958

>>2432792
By playing RPG games I cannot say I have noticed any lag. I grew up on SNES and I can confidently say I have found the controller fit for my needs. If you have some test you would like me to do please let me know you bastard.

>> No.2433129

>>2432863
>Comparing a 3D controller to a 2D controller

>> No.2433169
File: 819 KB, 2122x2372, controllerxboxdpad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2433169

>>2430942
based off my personal experience, i'd say the transforming dpad is pure shit and nothing more than a marketing gimmick. but one simple change can make both dpads good.

>>2431493
usb fits right in, but the microswitches need to be switched and you need to use the original contact pads too.

>> No.2433205
File: 3.49 MB, 3078x2462, Xbox_360_special_edition_transforming_dpad_controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2433205

>>2433169
Are you seriously suggesting a modified original 360 dpad over the transforming one? The shape of the cross is abhorrent on the Duke and original 360, the Xbox S and the transforming dpad ones are much better imo.

>> No.2433206
File: 136 KB, 985x438, XboxOriginalController.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2433206

>>2433205

>> No.2433234

>>2433205
transforming dpad breaks and the bottom of the molding is identical to the original, meaning it too is flawed. so yes, the original modified is better.

>> No.2433237

>>2433234
I've been rough with mine and it still works fine, is the breakage a common issue?

>the molding is identical to the original
Doesn't that mean you could just apply the same fix and get a superior shape and material instead of that cheap plastic 360 glob?

>> No.2433245

>>2433237
>Doesn't that mean you could just apply the same fix
"but one simple change can make both dpads good."

>I've been rough with mine and it still works fine, is the breakage a common issue?
yes, pretty much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnj6ZWKzCyM

>> No.2433251

>>2433245
My mistake, I thought you meant both as in the Xbox S and the original 360 not both editions of both generations.

>> No.2433306

>>2433169
Did this for my controller, and yes it's clicky now and much less floaty, but still inferior. The diagonals are still insanely easy to press on accident, and the smooth plastic surface makes it difficult to move the thumb around the d-pad, which is the only way to avoid pressing the diagonals. Not worth the frustration. The controller is garbage by design.

>> No.2433336

>>2430297
Why there aren't iBuffalo SNES pad ..... for SNES?
I want a good 3rd party pad

>> No.2433340
File: 1.86 MB, 1200x3700, 1428462914027.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2433340

>>2430347
This it? I use a DS3

>> No.2433343

buffalo pad is godlike

>> No.2433363

>>2433169
>but the microswitches need to be switched
noob here.
Is that difficult to do?

>> No.2433369

>>2433306
>the smooth plastic surface makes it difficult to move the thumb around the d-pad, which is the only way to avoid pressing the diagonals.

It is actually what makes it easy to do circular motions... and you can press diagonals the exact same way as you do with cross pads: press two cardinal directions at the same time.

Compared to the Megadrive and Saturn d-pads, it sucks, because on the MD and Saturn you can for example hold down and tilt the pad into a direction to get a diagonal, which you can't do on the x360, since it does not tilt properly. But if you just use it as you would with a cross pad, you'll be fine. Except that it won't tear the skin off your fingers because the plastic circle is there to support the cross.

>> No.2433391

>>2433340
DS4 is probably not god tier. I saw a video on amazon by some reviewer who showed and said that the L2 and R2 triggers break off easily since the pressure is just on thin plastic sticks that are supposed to move the trigger down and up.

real shoddy job by sony. another issue are the joysticks and the fact that the material get so worn out that it comes of the head of the joystick even if you put a third party grip protector on it.

my DS3 still works really well on the other hand.
the Xbone controller probably deserves to be in god tier but not for retro games because of the Dpad position.

>> No.2433396

>>2433391
also, the DS4 has a fucking Share button for christ's sake, I don't even wanna look at anything that reminds me of social media when I play videogames. Seriously.

>> No.2433397

>>2433391
>because of the Dpad position.

Nice, you just made your entire post irrelevant with this. Whether the pad is symmetrical to the face buttons or to the right analog makes zero practical difference. It only hurts aesthetically.

>> No.2433402

>>2433397
>Nice, you just made your entire post irrelevant with this

oh shut your stupid shithole, you idiotic loser.

>> No.2433405

>>2433369
>It is actually what makes it easy to do circular motions
That is kind of useful for shmups, but otherwise useless/entirely doable with regular d-pads.
>and you can press diagonals the exact same way as you do with cross pads: press two cardinal directions at the same time.
It's nice that you have your theories about how it should work fine and all, but in practice it utterly fails and I should know because I spent good 12 hours testing it.

It's a godawful abomination that will do random inputs despite your best efforts to be precise with it. It's just too easy to hit a diagonal on it. Like I said, you could try to move your thumb around the d-pad in order to limit the to presses to the right areas, but the smooth surface makes it a horrid experience. Moving the thumb around is also slower, so it's like playing with a handicap. And if you just hold your thumb in the middle like you should be doing for the best possible reaction time, the annoying diagonals become impossible to fully control.

>> No.2433423

>>2433397
>makes zero practical difference.

also, you're dead wrong. if the joystick is in the middle you'll have an easier time reaching it as opposed to the d-pad simply because of the height difference of the joystick and the dpad. so don't say there is no practical difference when one clearly notices one.

>> No.2433462

>>2433405
>That is kind of useful for shmups, but otherwise useless

Because no fighting game required you to do a QCF motion. Ever.

>I spent good 12 hours testing it.

I've been using one for 9 years and never had a problem since day one.

>Like I said, you could try to move your thumb around the d-pad in order to limit the to presses to the right areas, but the smooth surface makes it a horrid experience.

I never experienced what you say. I only get bad inputs when I'm being too hyperactive, and that mostly happens in danmaku games where any wrong input is instant death anyway.

I think I'm using both the middle of my thumb and the tip, to do more complex motions, and that's probably why I have no problems. It's hard to picture it in my head since I'm using the pad entirely instinctively. Using the tip only would indeed be more difficult on the x360 pad, but much easier on the Saturn and Megadrive pads. This also explains why I play marginally worse when I'm starting as the 2nd player in a fighting game.

>>2433423
You can reach just as easy regardless of height because they are of the same distance from the corner of the joystick, where you grab the thing and where the root of your thumb is. You just hold your thumb at a different angle.
Maybe if you have short fingers, you'd have problems pressing up on a d-pad that is on the top of the pad (but not with an analog since you can just tilt that from the side). But then you'd also have issues pressing the topmost of the face buttons too.

>> No.2433472

>>2433405
yeah i don't know what you're on, but diagonals work fine for me. my issue & pretty much everyone's issue was missed inputs. that small circular disc could easily be a hindrance in fps titles, where you've gotta shuffle between the two and the dpad is nothing more than a hatswitch, but that's about it.

as for the surface texture, once again, i don't see where you're coming with this. my thumb glides over the surface better than it does on most pads and the dpad size is rather optimal, in comparison to a number of pads like those retarded fightpads and the original genesis dpad. in fact i'd say my thump glides smoother over it that it does one of those transforming dpads everyone likes to pretend are so good. that silly chrome finish causes my thump to stick.

>> No.2433480

>>2433472
This is about the modded 360 with the plastic disc below the d-pad.
>>2433462
My issue is quite clear. When changing direction from horizontal to vertical I find myself move a few pixels to to the side because it's that easy to tilt the d-pad into the diagonal input. I hold the thumb in the very center as I do that because I cannot quickly switch to the tip due to the sticky, smooth surface. Shit is simply broken compared to a normal d-pad.

>> No.2433485

>>2433472
>the original genesis dpad

You don't want to mention this, they had like 4 or 5 different d-pads on the original Megadrive. Different cord lengths too. Some of them were extremely loose, some of them were very rigid. Some of them even worked on the arcade stick concept, ie. the d-pad was hooked to a stick that went under the PCB and had contacts+membrane on that side.

There is no way of knowing which one of the pads you had, a good one or a bad one.

>> No.2433491

>>2433480
Just noticed how this shit even happens when switching the directions from left to right sometimes. The fucking thing tilts to each side with basically no pressure. I have never used a more floaty, garbage d-pad in my whole life. Kudos if you somehow managed to get used to this pile of shit, but I cannot imagine how many hours it would take for me to do it. It's beyond belief how shoddy that thing is. The stickiness of the surface as your fingers get sweaty is definitely of the bigger problems of it.

>> No.2433506

>>2433480
Wait, so your problem is that when you want to do a motion of Forward -> Down, you end up doing Forward -> Forward/Down -> Down? Just raise your finger half a millimeter instead of sliding it in a circular motion. Problem solved.

This is in fact the reason why I like circular d-pads (MD, SS, 360) way more than cross-shaped ones, since circular slides are way more comfortable to do. And you can easily accustom yourself to handle simple 4-way inputs too (just always press the tip of a direction from neutral), so it is good for both. But a cross shaped pad can never do smooth diagonals as easily, since you can't hold down 2 directions as easily on a cross.

>> No.2433515

>>2433506
>Wait, so your problem is that when you want to do a motion of Forward -> Down, you end up doing Forward -> Forward/Down -> Down?
More a less. It's an issue that can happen when pressing each and every direction because the thumb has to stay in the very center.
>Just raise your finger half a millimeter instead of sliding it in a circular motion. Problem solved.
Like I said, it sticks as the fingers sweat. The surface is horrible. Besides, lifting the thumb is inefficient. I was already doing it before and I had all sorts of problems that don't happen when the thumb is centered.

>> No.2433518

>>2433491
>Just noticed how this shit even happens when switching the directions from left to right sometimes. The fucking thing tilts to each side with basically no pressure.

Okay, that's finally a valid problem with the x360 dpad, I can confirm that this has happened to me as well. But it also happens on practically every other d-pad I've ever used in my life.

The solution is again simple, lift your fucking finger for a little instead of sliding it. Actually lifting your finger is a misnomer, you don't even need to lift it much, just stop applying pressure to the pad. That's all there is to it.

>> No.2433523

>>2433515
>Like I said, it sticks as the fingers sweat. The surface is horrible.

Wash your hands more often and lay off the cheetos, and you won't have problems like that.

>> No.2433524

>>2433518
>But it also happens on practically every other d-pad I've ever used in my life.
Doesn't happen on DS3.

>> No.2433527

>>2433523
I hope this is bait. I'd have to wash every 15 minutes, which is just fucking stupid.

>> No.2433560

>>2433524
That's because none of the Playstation controllers ever had a d-pad. They have 4 separate face buttons pointing inwards in a cross shape.

>> No.2433563

>>2433560
Are you serious? The buttons are a part of a bigger piece that's hidden beneath. It is very much a d-pad and it isn't without flaws either.

>> No.2433601

>>2433340
>this list again

>> No.2433631

Lol all these Sony fanboys.


Mircrosoft masterrace reporting in.

>> No.2433641

>>2433560
>i've never actually used a playstation controller

>> No.2433683

>>2433523
this. i don't know how someone can sweat that much, especially from their THUMBS. that's just just apeshit insane.

>> No.2433692
File: 5 KB, 235x215, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2433692

>>2433560
>They have 4 separate face buttons pointing inwards in a cross shape.
no, it's a solid piece of plastic, like all dpads. it simply is not completely exposed because they needed change the fulcrum point to get around nintendo's patents.

>> No.2433737

>>2432440
I'm just looking for a retro controller with a d-pad suited for fast-paced movement like in Tetris Attack when trying to get those chains going.

I do have a buffalo and it seemed pretty much perfect to me until this showed up. Now I'm reading this is as good as it gets and I'm contemplating giving this a go. Not sure though

>> No.2433907
File: 216 KB, 314x307, Buffalo_SFC_vs_Actual_SNES.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2433907

buffalo is overhype

>> No.2433928

>>2433907
so i guess you cant swap guts for the buffalos with a real snes pad?

>> No.2433935

There's always the wii super famicom pad from club nintendo

>> No.2434049
File: 32 KB, 530x288, 1425514827807.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2434049

>>2433692
Would they have just gone for a standard dpad instead of the arrows that make your fingers bleed after long use if not for the patents? Fuck all patents.

>> No.2434054
File: 560 KB, 1280x720, 1424320423078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2434054

>>2434049

>> No.2434091
File: 45 KB, 620x400, ds411.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2434091

>>2434049
autism is worse. virtually any patent has loopholes to exploit, while autism simply stops products from evolving as they rightly should. so no vita dpad for you, thanks to autistic manbabies.

>> No.2434095

>>2434091
Shit nigga are you five, why do you talk like that? I don't even know what you're implying.

>> No.2434165

>>2430297
yeah I got mine a few weeks ago, damn thing can't do diagonals, regret it, fell for the hype

hate to say it but the controller is a meme

>> No.2434193

>>2434054
>oh thats a funny looking SNE..
WHAT THE FUCK.

>> No.2434195

>>2434193
Never seen the Nintendo PlayStation? How young are you?

>> No.2434196

>>2433935
Ive got one, and a usb converter. its nice

>> No.2434198

>>2434195
27 AND A HALF

>> No.2434327

What prevents 3rd party controllers from being accurate with 1st part ones? Why is there always something slightly off with them?

>> No.2434440

>>2434327
They don't have as much of a budget as 1st party

>> No.2434821

>>2433683
>this
Fuck off. This isn't reddit. Play a game that's actually demanding before spouting your inane crap. Sweating is unavoidable.

>> No.2434851

>>2430347
>I remember there used to be a /vr/ infograph on best controllers for a PC, and the buffalo was top tier.
that's because you guys are idiots

third party controllers are universally shit

>> No.2434932

>>2434851
>cheap 3rd party controllers are subpar
Who would have thought? 8bitdo controllers are very good on the other hand

>> No.2434941

>>2434054
this PS1 design is so fucking sexy, hnnng
It has that classic Sony professional look to it. So nice.

>>2433560
only shit clone controllers (and the Xperia Play for whatever reason) do this
the d-pad is a single piece of plastic on every official Playstation controller

>> No.2435228

>>2433340
this is such a fucking shitty guide people need to stop posting it

>> No.2435248

>>2435228
Where's your guide then, huh? Punk?

>> No.2435341

>>2433560
I think the problem with Playstation D-pads is that since there's no actual midsection on them most people end up being crippled by it because they use D-pads by resting their thumb in the middle and rolling it around instead of pressing the ends.

>> No.2435353
File: 78 KB, 1024x721, f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2435353

I don't feel like making a new thread so I'll ask here.
Would it be a good idea to pick up a sidewinder gamepad and use it for old PC games and emulation? I remember owning one as a kid but I never used it much because fuck if I could actually plug it into the computer using my tiny baby hands. I actually just found out that they made newer models with usb instead of the fuckhuge pin connector, but I don't remember the quality of the buttons and whatnot.

>> No.2435379

>>2435353
Do you like the controller? Then use it. There's no reason it wouldn't work, it's all preference, really

>> No.2435380

>>2435353
I was seriously considering getting the usb version of what you posted until I found an sls saturn pad. I had the version in your pic. I remember everything about it was great, more than serviceable even, but the dpad was simply not the best.

>> No.2435405

>>2435341
>because they use D-pads by resting their thumb in the middle and rolling it around instead of pressing the ends.
Just stop with this retarded misconception. It depends solely on how much pressure you apply, which can happen in either instances, and the d-pad works fine when handled both ways. What will hurt your thumb is prolonged use of diagonals, but nintendo d-pads had the exact same problem.

>> No.2435435

>>2435405
>nintendo d-pads had the exact same problem
Which is why true /vr/s know Sega does what Nintendon't: make the best controllers.

>> No.2435575

>>2430864
>dpad not as bad as /vr/says
Try playing shmups, fighters or any other skill based game that requires precision input then you'l see it's wank.

>> No.2435576

>>2431203
>because of the crazy input lag the converter had.
Which converter? I'd say that's just a shit one I don't get that kinda issue with mine.

>> No.2435580
File: 46 KB, 800x465, Wii-U-Pro-Controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2435580

I will never stop shilling the Wii U Pro controller. It's literally 100% perfect for playing retro games. It's a basically a SNES controller with a more comfortable grip and some analog sticks and 2 extra shoulder buttons. The adapter for it even supports XInput mode.

The only thing the DS3/DS4 has over this is the analog triggers. But if you don't need analog triggers then this controller is all you will ever need.

>> No.2435595

>>2435353

Used one for years they're alright.

>> No.2435598

>>2435575
>Try playing shmups, fighters or any other skill based game that requires precision input then you'l see it's wank.

That's basically all I play other than the occasional platform game, and I never had any problems with the x360 dpad.

>> No.2436505

the xbox controller s actually has a very top tier dpad. too bad about those stupid black and white buttons

>> No.2436514

>>2432958
>Basing a controllers quality by playing menu based game

da fuck..

>> No.2436524

>>2435580
This thing is garbage.
The D-pad is too far in and too low. The second analog stick is in the dumbest place possible.

Its like they took the 360 controller and decided to fuck it up.

DS4 is still my favorite.

>> No.2436772

>>2436524

I can tell you haven't actually used it. the dpad and 4 face buttons are both exactly where my thumbs are resting when they're not on the analog sticks. in fact it's pretty much the exact same layout as the 360 controller, only the right side is switched around so that the dpad and buttons line up. it feels just like a SNES controller with a better grip when using it for 2D games.

>> No.2437101

>>2436772
Not everyone's thumb is the same length. A controller that's smaller is still usable, but when it's actually too big, and the thumb is just slightly out of reach, you're fucked.

>> No.2437126

>>2436524
>DS4 is still my favorite.
If you already bought it for your ps4, maybe.

>> No.2437429

>>2435575
Pretty much all I play is composed of fighting games, shmups and platformers and the truth is I never felt like my xbox 360 controller was wrong or unaccurate. Instead I find the xbox 360 dpad advantageous when playing fight games because it's easy to press the diagonals.

>>2435580
It's just an inferior copycat of Xbox 360 pad.

>>2436505
Loved the old Xbox controller.
> mfw the Xbox 360 pad has removed the black and white buttons

>> No.2437474

>>2430864
>dpad not as bad as /vr/says

You are a meme human.

>> No.2437505

>>2437474
I'm just saying what's true to me.

>> No.2437514

>>2435353
I had been using this controller for retro games for years before switching to the superior Xbox 360 controller. Everything I remember about the Sidewinder controller is absolutely positive though.

>> No.2438607

>>2434821
>Fuck off.
no, lay off the cheetos & pizza

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action