[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 539 KB, 1024x768, sotn-003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2430279 No.2430279 [Reply] [Original]

>get were bane from first hunting girl
>get vorpal blade from first archer
>get cassaegrim from first schmoo
Anyone have any stories?

>> No.2430319

If you got a crissaegram on the first try you're either lying or incredibly lucky. I remember farming for that stupid thing for at least 2 hours.

>> No.2430325

>>2430319
>two hours
Alucart set makes it 1/50, that's pretty good.

>> No.2430350

>>2430319

it's a random drop, you need to be lucky but it's possible.

also for me the game got ridiculously broken when I got the shield rod.

>> No.2430445

The game is broken in many many ways, even if you don't get those random drops, even if you don't figure out the shield rod spells, you can still spam Hellfire from the start of the game, and then Soul Steal from rather early on. I know you're not supposed to know those spells exist until later, but they're shown in the menu if you accidentally use them, which is bound to happen very early if you try random stuff with weapons you get.

And even then, you're still going to get other broken weapons like the Osafune Katana.

But what matters the most, EVEN if you don't find any of the broken weapons and spells or don't use them, the game is still piss easy and you're going to be fighting bosses which die in a few seconds and which will barely do any dmg to you. The game is still incredibly poorly balanced even if you take out all the broken equipment and spells.

>> No.2430448

>>2430445
>I know you're not supposed to know those spells exist until later

Are you even supposed to know the spells period? As much as I've always loved SotN it's always bothered me that half of the spells -- at least as far as I've played, which is quite a lot over the years -- have to be looked up in an outside source rather than the game itself.

>> No.2430449

>>2430319
When I played through it I didnt even know it existed and it dropped randomly.

>> No.2430450

>>2430448
I think you're supposed to try all 32768 button combinations.

>> No.2430451

>Hear about Schmoo dropping Crissaergrim from ppl online.
>Go to a new room. Schmoo comes at me and I kill it.
>Drops a weapon and I assume it's crissaegram.
>Get hyped and run at it, but the other fucking enemy hits me and knocks me back to the other section
>WTFFFFFFFFFFFf
>Play a bit and get another lucky drop and get the damn thing.
>Most fucking broken weapon ever

>> No.2430453

>>2430445
True. All the other ones I've played (HoD, AoS, DoS, I, and OoE) are all far harder.

>> No.2430454

>>2430448
I think you can buy spellbooks at the shop which tell you about them.

Speaking of the shop, I think the worst offender is the US version. In the US version you can buy some of the strongest gear and weapons the first time you visit the shop, while in the original version you can't buy them until later on in the game.

But even if you take out all of that, you could still buy 99 potions at the shop.

>> No.2430456

>>2430454
I'm playing the Greatest Hits version right now and the Damascus Sword is the strongest until the inverted castle opens up.
I was pleasantly surprised that the inverted castle was actually inverted instead of mirrored or flipped.

>> No.2430581

Uhm I've gotten 2 ring of varda within about 15 of wtf ever those things are you kill for them..name eludes me atm. And no didn't use the luck name on that run

>> No.2430927

>>2430445
I actually really like SoTN for its scope and flavor but yeah gameplay-wise you're spot on. It's too bad they couldn't wed the old school Castlevania level design with SoTN's size and narrative.

>> No.2431056

>>2430350
I knew the trick by equipping a shield and pressing both the attack button and shield (square and circle simultaneously) but for the life of me i never knew what the blue stars did. I think it was a half circle starting from back and going forward then square or circle is what the combination was. What the Hell did that do? Also for broken i always liked using the Marsil.

>> No.2431067

>>2430927
>old school Castlevania level design with SoTN's size and narrative.

I don't think many people would like backtracking through a castle full of Classicvania levels.

>> No.2431069

>>2430279
>I Don't Think The Game Was Meant To Be This Easy

It was meant to be easy to bring in new players. They also followed a "throw it in" design philosophy.

>What if, like he got swords that he could throw? And they floated around?
>Sure.
>What about, like an air sword that attacks really fast?
>Why not?

>> No.2431248

>>2430279

The fact that the Saturn version was rushed so hard and turned out super terrible as a result is a fucking crime against videogames.

Take a moment to imagine how a lovingly crafted 2D CastleVania game could have been on the Saturn, given enough development time.

Fuck man.

>> No.2431281

>>2430279
>Get super rare ultra special Soul in Dawn of Sorrow.
>Accidentally leave the room before obtaining it.

"But anon, that's not retro"

Well, that's all I have.

>> No.2431289

>>2431248
SOTN was a game completely custom tailored for the PSX hardware. They could have never gotten it as good looking no the Saturn as on the Playstation, to be honest.

Still, they could've made it much better than what was released.

>> No.2431487

The last time I played through, I didn't even get hit until I fought Scylla in the Underground Caverns

>> No.2431546

Does luck influence the item drops? If no, what does it exactly? Critical hit?

>> No.2431604

Is this thread specifically about accidentally breaking only Castlevania games, or can it be about any game?

>> No.2431637

I hear there's a PS1 re-release that has extra content from the SS port.

But let me guess what the catch is: it's JP-only, right?

>> No.2431854

>>2430445

The boss AI/moveset is terrible, only Shaft and True Dracula were decent while you can defeat everything else on your first try even if they kill you in 2 or 3 hits and have 9999 HP. The enemies and enemies placement on the regular castle is overall really poor and you can skip most of them without any effort. Extended Mist is the most retarded relic and ideia ever. You can simply ignore every enemy except bosses with it. It turned the entire inverted castle, which apparently had good enemies and enemies placement, into a boss rush with a break between bosses.

>> No.2431873

Just like FF8 (or any kind of FF/RPG in general) you can make it as hard/easy as you want by grinding items/levels/(junctions in FF8) or getting really lucky sometimes.

Either way I remember getting one of the rare items kind of early on during one of my first runs of the game, it's been awhile so I don't remember the name. I remember selling it off early though for cash.

>> No.2431891

>>2431248
Except a 2D game designed for Saturn will automatically look better since it has more RAM to hold higher quality sprites.

>> No.2431973

>>2431289
>>2431248
I read somewhere that the Saturn couldn't really handle 3D and that this game in addition to using a bunch of actually 3D polygon effects such as the clock tower background and those books in the library.

>> No.2431975

>>2431546
Luck influencdes items drops and crits. If you equip the Alucart set the chances of a Schmoo dropping a Crissaegrim is 1/50 before base luck and other bonuses.

>> No.2431978

>>2431604
I meant it to be about any game but I wrote the OP badly.
>>2431973
>in addition to using a bunch of actually 3D polygon effects such as the clock tower background and those books in the library. used a 3D engine.

>> No.2431989

>>2431973
saturn had dedicated hardware to do background scaling and used quadrilaterals instead of polygons, neither of them could do real 3D

>> No.2432001

>>2431978
Fair enough, OP.

Yeah, so, I was fucking around with Flying Dragon: Secret of the Scrolls password screen and correctly fudged the final password (which is BAAA).

I also correctly deduced Double Dragon's infinite XP bug - knowing that you get XP from punching mooks but they don't die if you don't finish the combo. My friend was fucking astounded that I had the jumpkick before the end of the first level.

I also figured out that murdering player two in Double Dragon 2 stole their lives and added them to yours.

>> No.2432037

>>2431854
>True Dracula
Whoa! Whoa! I always thought Dracula was pathetic in this because you could just spam the attack button. Is there a different fight/ending than where he quotes the bible? Have I been unaware of some huge secret?

>> No.2432290

>>2430279
I started playing SotN for the first time two days ago and finished it literally half an hour ago. I got the Yasutsuna from, like, the third Werewolf I killed.

It fucking trivialized the entire rest of the game, or what little there was of it left.

fucking 10/10 game though, I can't believe I went 18 years without playing it

>> No.2432647

>not getting the Jewel Knuckles and Mirror Curess before the Doppelganger fight

Easy mode right there.

>> No.2433000

>>2432647
Cuirass.
An easy way to remember the spelling is queer-ass.

>> No.2434224
File: 70 KB, 200x200, 1398055124703.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ATTENTION ALL ANONS:

There's a completed hardmode hack that makes this game what it was meant to be. it's fucking awesome. I'm loving it, died against doppleganger multiple times. Richter was a bitch. I'm in the inverted castle now. Shield rod is two handed, so no sheild spells. Crissagraem is gone. I think Myst lasts too long but whatever.