[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 10 KB, 202x250, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2404784 No.2404784 [Reply] [Original]

i dont know i feel that most people always praise 1 for the start of the horror genre along with silent hill and resident evil 2 for its intertwining storylines. but resi 3 always gets pushed under and forgotten about,

resi 3 was my first resident evil and im glad it was,there were so many mechanics that i loved, the way nemesis was programmed and how he could always show up wherever, the gun powder aspect and seeing the combinations you could make, i know there was only 3 but it was simple yet effective, especially on hard when you were low on bullets and had to think whether to make handgin bullets or save it and hope you find some gunpowder b for shotgun. among many others

i feel the resi 3 is an underrated gem and deserves the love of the first 2 resi's i just wanna see what your opinions are on this game, don't hold back, nemesis wouldn't

>> No.2404886

>>2404784

I bought RE1 when it came out and it was revolutionary, it was actually the reason I choose Playstation over Nintendo64.

RE2 was in my opinion too easy, so I finished it once and never played it again.

RE3 I bought the PC version and then for some reason it ended up in my closet until recently. I started playing it and comparing them I really like RE3 best. It is a challenging game and it sums up the story line from 1 and 2. I wouldn't want to say it's the best in the series, none of them is, as they all have their unique part to play. Recognizing the police HQ from RE2 and the details like Jill's and Barret's desks are part of what makes the story in RE3 more interesting than the story in the previous two games. RE1 I played a lot and even made my own "runthru" guide for speedruns, so I sort of grew bored with it and can't make myself enjoy it any more.

>> No.2404892

>>2404784
>i dont know i feel that most people always praise 1 for the start of the horror genre
shameless aitd clone

which itself didn't "invent horror"

>> No.2404902

>>2404892

The difference is alone in the dark was a PC game and the backgrounds didn't have the photographic style, it just wasn't as well made. RE popularized the genre.

>> No.2404918

Resident Evil 3 is kind of just in a weird spot.

RE2 has the content, and a good storyline and scenario.

RE1 is laugh out loud funny, unless you're playing remake, in which its arguably the best of the classic series.

RE3 just feels... Lazy at times. You do shit like the police station, which we already saw, and took a concept from the B scenarios (Mr. X) and basically ran with it as a concept for the whole game. I don't mind it, I think it had potential, but I think its not nearly as well done as RE2 or Remake,.

>> No.2404924

I really dig RE3 and its more action-oriented style.

Played all 3 back in the day but 3 was the one that stuck with me the most and longest. Good stuff.

>> No.2404929

>>2404918
I thought the mercenaries game was a step up over the hunk's 4th survivor
also you actually get to explore whole the city instead of just that small teaser at the beginning of RE2

>> No.2404969

What made Re3 for me is that for the first time you got to really explore raccoon city. i loved how big and open it actually felt to the last two. you were kind of kept to 1 place be it be the mansion or the police station (yes you visted the courtyard etc but it all took place in a main area.) RE3 gave us a feel of a more open world

>> No.2405031

>>2404784
I wouldn't call RE3 a "lost gem", seeing how it was still a pretty mainstream release (it's a numbered entry in the series for Christ's series), it's just under-appreciated compared to RE1 and 2.

>> No.2405038
File: 7 KB, 140x157, nemesiscoolfacesmall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RE3 has the highest skill ceiling in the series (if you only count the survival horror ones), the most freedom given to the player.

That gives it an awful LOT of replay value and the action orientation really goes in hand with this, making of it by far not only the best RE game, but also one of the best action games ever.
It is easily in my top favourite action games ever.

Honestly, all the criticism towards RE3 such as "too short", "not a real game more like an add-on", etc, feel like they are given by people who have barely played the game. If you've beaten RE3 once or twice, you haven't scratched the surface.

>> No.2405056

>>2405038
>NESfag ruins another thread

>> No.2406072
File: 853 KB, 500x292, 1347779828129.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know why people prefer CVX over 3. the former felt like a step back game-play wise, despite being released after 3.

>> No.2406337
File: 96 KB, 540x675, RE3Card_crusher_nemesis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2406072
Yeah, in RE3 movement is super fast, smooth and tight. You have new moves like the dodge mechanics too.

In CV movement is incredibly stiff, Claire honestly looks stiffer than zombies. Gameplay went back to basics with no dodge, no powder system, barely any freedom of choice for the player, etc

But that's only one part of how bad CV is. It also ruined many other aspects, such as the whole story (from the story itself to the way it's told), the lack of real puzzles, etc

>> No.2407810

>>2405038
i didnt hate RE3, but the reason i preferred RE2 was becuase it DIDNT emphasize action as much as RE3. RE2 was somewhere in the middle of action and survival, or maybe its just nostalgia and the extra hours i spent on it talking lol

>> No.2407829

>>2407810
RE3 is still survival horror in every single of its mechanics.

The only difference is that the balance is brought to a different scale, if you compare it to RE3, it has more ammo and weapons, but also a LOT more enemies.

Most survival horror games tend to stop being tense and scary once you know them. Imo RE3 was even more tense than 2 or 1 due to Nemesis, you could die any moment; but in RE1 and 2 once you've gone past that and know the game, there is not much in terms of replay value, while RE3's sheer fun fast paced action gives it infinite replay value.

Action is a pre-requisite for a game to be survival horror anyway, take out the action and the game becomes adventure-horror, like Shadowgate.

>> No.2407841

>>2407829
sure... that can definitely be argued. i guess for me it just seems like RE3 is more "run and gun" than RE2... which isnt bad per se... but not what i wanted from a RE game.

>> No.2407871 [DELETED] 
File: 44 KB, 400x400, 1478904_86923903.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2404784
since greetings xd the truth resident evil 3 is of few originals of the saga it is a big game the nemesis was the god xd fear was grasping you centir haora in the following versions of the residet evil there it are no jewels

>> No.2407887
File: 23 KB, 450x338, 3d-desktop-wall-paper-14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2404784
for ever residet evil 3

>> No.2407912

Elder God Tier:
Resident Evil 2

High Tier:
Resident Evil

Mid Tier:
Resident Evil 0

Low Tier:
Resident Evil 3

Shit Tier:
Resident Evil Code - Veronica

>> No.2407926

>>2407912
>Resident Evil 0 in the list

Not sure if autistic nigger, or just plain retard.

>> No.2408716

>>2407926
>hating on RE0
And you're calling ME the retard??

>> No.2410941

My RE3 experience
>start game, shoot some zombies
>do some stuff
>see Nemesis, NOPE the fuck inside
>can't do shit in police station
>look it up
>I was supposed to grab the keycard on the guy Nemesis was sitting on
>yeah, I'm not dealing with that again
>uninstall.exe
I was always a little bitch about Resident Evil when I was a kid though. So many nightmares about polygonal zombies.

>> No.2411024

>>2407926
Resident Evil 0 is better than your favorite video game.

>> No.2411043

>>2410941
Grabbing the keycard from the dead body is optional. There is a 2nd keycard inside just a few rooms ahead.

You should have looked around a little more before checking an FAQ, and the FAQ you checked was shit for not mentionning the 2nd keycard. Though I'm not surprised, I've seen quite a few RE3 FAQs which were complete garbage.

>> No.2412909

>>2404969
IMHO, that small parts of Raccoon city which you 'explore' at the beginning of RE2 was better than city in RE3. It was more atmospheric and scary.

>> No.2412928

Resident evil 3 was a budget game by the B-team and it shows. The only reason it was a numbered entry is because Sony had a hissy fit.

RE3 should've stayed a shitty spin off game like it was always meant to be. Dino Evil 3 basically. An uninspired game that stuck to Raccoon city to cling onto RE2's fame and glory.

>> No.2413136

>>2412928
Still spreading lies and misinformation I see?

RE3 was never supposed to be a spin-off. Mikami wanted to call it RE1.9 and it was supposed to be an add-on; but his superior said this wouldn't be a good commercial move and made decided to call it RE3, but that was rather early on in development and it has nothing to do with the contract they had with Sony.

Another common widespread lie about RE3 is saying that CV was supposed to be RE3. There is absolutely not a single fact pointing this was ever supposed to be the case. The first time Capcom ever showed RE:CV was in September 1998, that is LONG before RE3 came out, and it was already called CV.
I think the confusion comes from how both games were being made at the same time; and both were shown as the "new RE sequel" in magazines, it wouldn't be surprising if some magazines talked about CV and called it RE3, that's the kind of things magazines tend to do, giving a number when talking about an upcoming title in a serie even though the final name of the game wasn't even made official. It's easier for them than to say "the next Resident Evil" on the cover of their magazine; but bullshit said in magazines does not create factual development decisions.

BTW I take my source from Survivor, which is THE most knowledgeable site in the world about Resident Evil history, betas, alphas, etc

>> No.2413161

>>2412928
>>2413136
also

>B-Team

Mikami was more involved in RE3 than in 2.

>> No.2413375

>>2413136
This is all wrong.

it was a spin off. The selected project was a spin-off that was being developed by an inexperienced team under director Kazuhiro Aoyama. The spin-off was originally intended to introduce a new character who would have to escape from an infected Raccoon City. However, after the promotion, Capcom decided that Resident Evil protagonist Jill Valentine would be the main character and Raccoon City would be destroyed. Unlike the majority of the early scripts in the series, the scenario of the game was not created by Capcom's Flagship studio but by internal Capcom writer Yasuhisa Kawamura, who had very little experience with the Resident Evil series at the time. Kawamura noted that he had to play the original game to familiarize himself with the series' fictional universe immediately. Nevertheless, the story was proofread and sanctioned by Flagship to avoid continuity errors with other installments in the series, an issue that was also given attention in monthly meetings between all directors and producers.

>BTW I take my source from Survivor
A fan site? Great source

>B-Team
Yes it was.
>Mikami was more involved in RE3 than in 2.
Wrong.

>> No.2413389

>>2413136
>Still spreading lies and misinformation I see?
From the ACTUAL scenario writer Yasuhisa Kawamura himself. What more facts do you want?

>http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/15/resident-evil-3-nemesis-began-life-as-a-spin-off/

>> No.2413393

>>2406072
Code: Veronica was actually in development at the same time as RE3. In fact, it actually began earlier.

>> No.2413394

>>2413389
Interview. http://www.projectumbrella.net/articles/Yasuhisa-Kawamura-Interview-Project-Umbrella

Tho like always NESfag believes what he wants and ignores facts. Just like his WESKER SAVES JILL shit we proved him wrong.

>> No.2413401

nesfag , what a fucking clown AND liar you are

>> No.2413437

RE3 is the weakest of the first 3 games.

I remember waiting for it to come out, buying every magazine that had an article on it.

Nemesis is a poor enemy for Resident Evil. Like bad horror movies rely on a cheap scare, Nemesis pops up when you 'least' expect it. It's just a gimmick. Nemesis is at least a tough enemy.

The open space of Raccoon City also robbed the claustrophobic feel of the first two games.
It's not that open really. It's still a series of back alleys, cordoned off streets or roads with burning wreckage or vehicles flipped over.

I think they also shot themselves in the foot by putting Jill in the game. It should have been someone unrelated to the first two games, which I think they originally wanted to do. I think RE3 is more of an action game than a survival horror game.

>> No.2413448

>>2413136
>Still spreading lies and misinformation I see?
Irony at its best

>> No.2414698

>>2413394
>Interview.
>http://www.projectumbrella.net/articles/Yasuhisa-Kawamura-Interview-Project-Umbrella
Interesting read. Thanks.
I would've loved to have seen what the ship RE3 was like with Hunk.

>> No.2414743

>>2413136
>RE3 was never supposed to be a spin-off. Mikami wanted to call it RE1.9 and it was supposed to be an add-on; but his superior said this wouldn't be a good commercial move and made decided to call it RE3, but that was rather early on in development and it has nothing to do with the contract they had with Sony.
I've seen some storyboards for RE3 that has "Biohazard 1.9/2.1" written on them. They were scanned from a Bio 3 strategy guide, but I don't remember which one.

>> No.2414746

The easy mode with the machine gun you get should have not been in the game at all

>> No.2414756

>>2414743
Well we know from the interview that was posted the game did start as a spin off title called code named RE:Gaiden (side story / spin off)

>> No.2414775

>>2414743
Found this online about the scrapped boatRE3

In mid-1998, due to news of the impending PlayStation 2, CAPCOM ordered that the team be reassigned to rebuild the game on the PS2 so that the team could get the experience they needed on that system to create a top-quality game. Kamiya and Yamada then had their roles swapped, and this BIO3 became "BIO2.5", then BIOHAZARD 4, then finally Devil May Cry. With the loss of the third main series title on the PS1, it was decided that the small-scale indie title "BIO1.9" would become BIO3.

Satoshi Nakai, who was an outside freelancer hired by Nextech (who were heavily contracted by CAPCOM), was informally reassigned to CODE:Veronica while Kamiya's team was joined by artists Tsuchibayashi (characters) and Matsushita (enemies). The game has since been acknowledged by Hideki Kamiya, Yasuhisa Kawamura, Satoshi Nakai, Shinji Mikami (who claimed "he" scrapped a BIO game where you played as an Umbrella employee) and Atsushi Inaba, although with details kept vague.

>> No.2414784

>>2414775
Also some notes about the scrapped game
Masaaki Yamada (BIO1/2 planner)
Written by FLAGSHIP
Creature designs by Satoshi Nakai (CV/0 artist)
In development by November 1997 (date of concept art)
Setting was a cruise ship (suggested by Hideki Kamiya, who had previously suggested a boat setting for BIO1)
Direct sequel to The 4th Survivor
Protagonist was HUNK
No Zombies
Main enemies were "Plant Humans"
General outline of the scenario was "HUNK on a cruise ship attempting to bring the G-virus to Umbrella"
Development lasted roughly one year
Setting was reused for GUN SURVIVOR 4

>> No.2414796
File: 88 KB, 560x796, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2414784
>Zombies
>Main enemies were "Plant Human

>> No.2414861

>>2414698
Part 2
http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Yasuhisa-Kawamura-Interview-2-Project-Umbrella

>> No.2414915

>>2414861
His vision for sherry is actually fucking awesome. It makes a lot of sense too. Amazing how he makes so much sense of the resident evil story when capcom themselves butchered it.

>> No.2414919
File: 23 KB, 600x478, hnnnng.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2414784
>Setting was reused for GUN SURVIVOR 4

>> No.2414923

I enjoy 1 and 3 for what they were, but 2 is the pinacle of survivor horror for me. It was expertly balanced with horror and action. The settings were interesting, the music was atmospheric, the weapons were enjoyable and I had a good time with the characters except that Ada. I feel like the shoehorned love story just made Leon seem like a massive beta since his feelings weren't really reciprocated and he took a bullet for the woman.

3 just felt like "more Raccoon city" but the option to fight Nemesis or escape was pretty interesting.

>> No.2414957

>>2406072
>>2406337
I like CV but I agree. RE3 was still popular but it came out late in the PlayStation's life cycle and didn't have the next generation wow factor that Code Veronica brought.

>> No.2414976

I'm not familiar with NESfag but it looks he got royally BTFO here. Lel.

>> No.2415369

>>2414976
Calm down, I work 42 hours a week, yesterday after work I went to Ikea to buy a new bookcase for my tons of comics and video games, I was checking another thread when coming here and didn't even realize people posted in this thread. Right now I've got to go to work and don't have time to read it.

>> No.2415830

>>2415369
OKGUISERELAX!

IWASNOTBTFO'dKTHXBAI

>> No.2415839

>>2415369
OH AN BTW

NICE BLOGPOST M8

>> No.2415865
File: 334 KB, 832x1169, NzUyC6v.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2414796
Plant Human concept art.

Fucking terrible.

>> No.2416008
File: 35 KB, 353x550, Resident-evil-outbreak-file-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2414796
These guys were used in outbreak file 2

Interesting concept to. Resident Evil likes to use boats huh. Typical that Kamiya wanted to focus on Hunk.

>>2415865
Thats pretty creepy.

>> No.2416179

>>2413389
>>2413394
>Inb4 nesfag called Kawamura a liar and a this isnt legit

>>2413401
indeed. Most trips are.

Re2 > Re1 > Re3

3 didnt feel like a RE game at all.

>> No.2416373

>>2404784
i gotta say, resident evil 3 was definitely the scariest one

maybe not visually, but gameplay-wise for sure

I shat my pants every time Nemesis appeared on screen (especially when he still used a rocket launcher)

like a monster that can actually follow you across loading screen is the scariest shit ever

also the zombs' were much faster (at least they seemed so to me) in RE3 compared to 2

>> No.2416378

>>2416373
and I also really liked how the story was kinda non-linear depending on what choices you make (A/B or neither)

>> No.2416434

>>2416373
Jump scares the game.

Over all i felt Re1 had the creepiest vibe of the 3, Re2 had the most atmosphere while 3 controlled the best for the 180turn alone ( excluding the shitty dodge mechanic that was badly programmed )

Overall atmosphere was lacking i thought. After playing 2 it felt really watered down.

They should've stuck to the original design. The game has no identity.

>> No.2416884

>>2416434
>Jump scares the game.
It's not really a jump scare though. Everything in Resident Evil relies on jump scares, but Nemesis suddenly appearing was only a tiny part of it. It's the fact that he can keep following you anywhere if he wants to and and that he is (or at least was for me) so hard to beat.

>> No.2416969

>>2416434
>best atmosphere
I disagree.

Spooky mansion >>>> police station

>> No.2417957

>>2404784
Should've stayed lost. Was a crap resi game.

Was a good dino crisis game tho.

>> No.2417959

>>2416969

It's a matter of tastes anon.
I love urban environments over closed environments, it works better for the survival feeling; at least for me.

>> No.2418612

>>2416969
Agreed. The original mansion setting is still the best and most memorable.

>> No.2418638

I like RE3's sense of doom in the backgrounds, the story, the characters and most of all in the music, atmosphere so thick you can cut with a knife.

>> No.2419028

>>2413136
>>2413136
>BTW I take my source from Survivor, which is THE most knowledgeable site in the world about Resident Evil history, betas, alphas, etc
>THE most knowledgeable site
Lol
Clearly your source is wrong. You should check your facts tripfag

>> No.2420851

>>2414976
underated post

>> No.2420895

3 is broken from the fucking Dodge action.

>running up to Nemmy and knifing his shit until he dies while ducking and weaving

Mercenaries was dope though.

>two Nemesises fighting because you stood between them and then got the fuck out of the way

>> No.2420918

>>2420895
>Mercenaries was dope though.
Only good thing about Resi3

>> No.2420927

>>2420918
>Only good thing about Resi3

lolno

>> No.2424114

>>2406337

>that comic

top kek

>> No.2424187

>>2413136
>RE3 was never supposed to be a spin-off. Mikami wanted to call it RE1.9
Why the fuck would he want to call it 1.9?
>and it was supposed to be an add-on
what?

Glad you was BTFO

>> No.2424215

>>2420895
Dodge is kinda spotty, and most of the time you end up causing it by accident.

Also, trivia (from a prior thread):

If you shoot at Nemesis a moment before he fires a rocket, his aim wavers and he misses by a lot (sorta like that Carlos cutscene in Clock Tower).

With the Pistol or Magnum, you can stand on one knee and shoot much faster. It happens sometimes after a successful dodge against Nemesis or a Hunter.

Also, if you go to the power plant last (before going to clock tower), a different cutscene happens, with Nemesis on top of the power plant.

Also you can drain the vat right in the ending of the game and go down there, but I've never known what activates it. Sometimes there are Brainsuckers in there.

If you stay in a room with Brainsuckers (the brown 4-legged things) for more than 1 minute without them finding you (they move by sound, so just stay in a place where you can see them), they puke a small version of themselves, kinda like a cockroach.

>> No.2424624
File: 1016 KB, 245x184, 1430080338547.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first Dino Crisis was the best Resident Evil game

>> No.2424698

>>2424624
But dino crisis isn't a resident evil game anon. It's a dino crisis game.

Silly man.

>> No.2424715

>>2424624
the best resident evil was silent hill

>> No.2426673

Anyone have the guides for Resident Evil versions?

I'd like all three please.

>> No.2426675

>>2426673
just google gamefaqs