[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 97 KB, 650x650, 37056-Jumping_Flash!_[NTSC-U]-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2404750 No.2404750 [Reply] [Original]

I just played and beat Jumping Flash for the first time and I was very pleasantly surprised. In all honesty, I expected an early era 3D game from 1995 - especially one with first-person platforming, to play like hot garbage, but it was actually very well done, and the first-person platforming was done better than even some modern games. Being able to see your shadow and feet at all times made landing jumps very smooth and easy. Overall, the game was short but sweet, and I greatly enjoyed it. I wonder how the sequel is...

What are retro games you expected to be unplayable today that turned out to be great?

>> No.2404758

The sequel is just as good except for one very annoying thing.

Muu muu

>> No.2404774

>>2404750
If you liked Jumping Flash (and yeah, it definitely was great for its time) you should check out Geograph Seal for the x68000, which is a sort of proto-JF, and Ghost in the Shell for the PSX. Same team, very similar feel between all of them.

As to your actual question, I only played Ultima Underworld for the first time a couple years ago, and I was expecting it to be clunky, but they nailed the controls fairly well considering how new it was at the time.

>> No.2404781

>>2404758
don't forget about the Japanese only jumping flash 3. It plays a bit differently but still the same game play, and I enjoyed it some probably didn't.

>> No.2404786
File: 55 KB, 466x458, Jumping_Flash 2_Pal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2404774

I second this anon with Ghost in the Shell. It's made by the same team and it shows, great game.
Still need to emulate the X68K to play Geograph Seal.

And yes, go play Jumping Flash 2, it's amazing and a worthy sequel.

I think it's weird how Jumping Flash isn't more well known and remembered nowdays. People keep praising Crash and Spyro (which I always thought were meh), but Jumping Flash is somewhat obscure, even though it was one of the flagship games of the early PS days.

>> No.2404854

>>2404786
>I think it's weird how Jumping Flash isn't more well known and remembered nowdays.
Granted, I have a rather limited gamer social circle, but I see the game get mentioned so much, both here and among some of my friends. Like OP noted, it's really noteworthy for doing 3D platforming right at a time when lots of people were still trying to find their legs in the genre. I don't care if it's not "mainstream" popular, but I definitely see it getting the respect it deserves among those who actually know their shit.

>> No.2405000

>>2404781
Thanks for the heads-up. Never heard of it.

>>2404786
Before /vr/ I mostly heard about in context of being a fully 3D platformer that predates Mario 64. Shame that that's much of the respect it gets, when it's a unique (Geograph Seal notwithstanding) and brilliant game.

>> No.2406176
File: 17 KB, 320x305, JumpingF1348407780142.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2404854

Yeah I mean what this guy says: >>2405000

When JF gets mentioned it's mostly "oh yeah it was one of the earliest proper 3D platformers", but that's it, you don't see nostalgia PS1 kids talking about it as they do about Spyro or Crash.

JF 1 and 2 were my favorite PS platformers and I still think they're amazing today.

Dat music too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg28M4supeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6bFDvzmeA
(this one is totally enka)

>> No.2408261

>>2404750
Got a lot of fun with the first one. Not as much with the second.