[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 299 KB, 500x345, Dkc3_snes_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2396157 No.2396157 [Reply] [Original]

If it was DK in the lead role instead of Kiddy, people would've hailed this as a classic rivaling the other two games instead of it being left in the shadow of them.

Do you agree?

>> No.2396158

sure, why not

>> No.2396163

>>2396157
probably. i refuse to play as a big dumb tard baby.

>> No.2396338

>>2396157
everything about that game was just subtly off somehow, i don't know what the fuck happened, but something did

>> No.2396339

i liked it best anyway, but I was a kid when I played them. I thought the baby was stupid but I got over it.

I loved the overworld. It had nice little nintendo style secrets in it.

>> No.2396418

Kidnapping both kongs felt forced

I always wondered why the soundtrack felt so different in comparison with DK 1 and 2, and later I found out that 90% of the soundtrack was composed by Eveline Fischer, while David only did... 5 tracks?

>> No.2396567

Kiddy shoes jour play the lead role in DKC 3. Anyways I think it would be the oddball title no matter the characters because of the change in developers and their style.

>> No.2396568

>>2396567
*doesn't play

>> No.2396571
File: 339 KB, 814x702, 1388029576978.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DKC3 was leagues better than DKC. The only reason people claim to dislike it is because it fell short of its immediate predecessor. And also nostalgia.

>> No.2396670

>>2396418
Yeah, a formula starts showing a little.
DKC4: Kiddy's Day Out would be too much.

>> No.2396704

>>2396338
>i don't know what the fuck happened, but something did
B-Team Rare made DKC3 while the DKC1-2 staff moved onto DK64.

>> No.2396741

>>2396704

that makes a lot of sense. I always found the enemies in DKC3 to look ugly, and the music was so bland and uninteresting.

>> No.2396778

I didn't really like the environments in the game that much. Somehow we went from jungles in the first game to backwater Virginia.

>> No.2396808

DKC3 was the first one I played, and I loved it. Later on I tried DKC1 & 2, and they felt a lot rougher/more primitive, I never could get into them the same way.

>> No.2396827

>>2396418
Dave did one track — file select theme "Crazy Calypso" — only. Eveline Fischer's contributions to DKC1 were excellent though, too bad about 3's soundtrack.

>> No.2396863

>>2396157
Everyone loves to bitch about how retarded kiddy is, but that's not the main problem with this game. I think the fact that the N64 was already out when this game was released, combined with how slightly off this game felt. (art style too cartoony, boring soundtrack, different overworld, etc).

>> No.2396874

No, because Fischer is a hack composer, the enemy designs suck, they removed Rambi and replaced him with Ellie, and the game reeks of N64-era collectathoning.

>> No.2396887

>>2396670

DKC4 - Kiddy's day out, starring Kiddy and his retarded nephew Drooly Kong.

>> No.2396917

>>2396827
despite this, i really appreciate just how unique of an atmosphere the entire soundtrack helps establish. dkc3 will always feel so different to the other two, whereas 1 and 2 can feel somewhat similar at times.

>> No.2396928

>>2396827
David also did Dixie Beat, Wrinkly's Save Cave and Wrinkly 64 (although it's the SM64 Inside the Castle Walls)

I'm not counting the reused bonus themes from DKC2, it'd be cheap

>> No.2396938
File: 577 KB, 1021x404, 1391636525113.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2396157
Soundtrack had a few gems, but overall Fischer obviously couldn't get close to what David Wise was producing.

Too many levels, with some pretty wonky/shoddy design that just gets boring later in the game. Background/environment design wasn't nearly as good either, except for ONE level, the water level where you need to keep the lights on.

As opposed to DKC2, where team moves were equally fast on either side and you could enjoy playing as either character, picking up heavy-ass Kiddy was a chore and suddenly team moves were less worth it. Not to mention that nobody wants to play as Kiddy, especially when he starts whining when you die. Over, and over. It's Baby Mario without the purpose.

The whole banana bird thing was pretty ridiculous as well. A memory game outside the normal levels to get birds to beat the game 100%? The fuck was with that? We already had more worlds than DKC2 along with its own secret world in Krematoa, not to mention the additional collectables already. It's not N64 levels, but it's still just cumbersome.

Enemy design was just garbage at this point, I didn't know what they were going for with style, theme, or quality. Hell, when played in RGB, the enemy sprites in DKC3 look completely out-of-place. Seems as though the enemys have different model lighting then the rest of the game, maybe? I dunno, they felt really off. DKC2 somehow managed to get model consistency with everything in the game and thus looks dramatically better in comparison.

>> No.2396952
File: 96 KB, 300x200, 1-05.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Personally my problem with DKC3 are the following :

1. This should have been the return of Donkey Kong, I could have accepted DK & Dixie. but there was no need for the drooling baby.

2. Its too fucking colorful, the first 2 games had this dark jungle/bright ruins/spooky feel.
this game just feels like they tried to make a game that would appeal to toddlers.

3. Its too cute, fucking pants wearing bears everywhere and colorful birds and rainbows.

Its like they cooked the rainbow flag and poured it over the source code.

>> No.2396974

>>2396938

The soundtrack was the biggest issue for me. Almost all of the music in DKC3 paled in comparison to the previous installments, and it made the game feel cheap whenever I tried to pick it up, especially since I played it right after I finished DKC2. Eventually I'd just get tired listening and turn the game off right around Mekanos.

>> No.2396978

>>2396952
1. The same can be said for DKC2, since DK isn't playable in it either. Perhaps the sequels would be better thought of without the DKC moniker?

Donkey Kong Country
Diddy's Kong Quest
Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

2. The pipe and factory levels aren't particularly bright or cheerful environments. Then there are levels like Koindozer Klamber, Konveyor Rope Klash and Lightning Lookout. Did you even play past the first world?

3. You only ever see any of the bears from the waist up. There are loads of birds in the game, but I'm pretty sure most of them are the same color.

>> No.2396987

I could find myself humming music from the first two games (especially the second), but not so much the third. To be fair though, there isn't much that could have followed DKC2 in that regard.

A David Wise soundtrack for DKC3 did happen for the GBA version and most (but not all) of the tracks suck. The DKC3 SNES music may not be as good as DKC2, but it's still shitloads better than the GBA version.

>> No.2397001

>>2396567
how the fuck do you turn "doesn't" into "shoes jour"?

>> No.2397006

I liked the industrial theme of DKC3 more than the pirate theme of 2 and the jungle theme of 1.
I just wish the final boss was more interesting, I don't know what it is, maybe it's just tiring fighting K'rool a 3rd time, maybe I was really expecting the robot to be the real bad guy. I know it's tradition for the final boss to be a 1v1 with K'rool but I wish they had compromised a little and give him a ride, like a mecha or something.

>> No.2397123

>>2397001
Autocorrect on my phone leads to some strange typos if I'm not paying attention

>> No.2397134

>>2396157

The main problem I had with the game was that it was the start of the "dead-eyed cartoon" style that Rare decided to go with from that moment on. Those bears, the bosses. They all had those emotionless googly-eyes.

>> No.2397290

>>2396938
>>2396974

Wasn't the thing that Fischer isn't a bad composer but they wanted to make the whole game more "atmospheric", like with less defined music and more of a gentle background atmo? That she knows how to do music she proved with that gem of a factory theme (Nuts n Bolts).

>> No.2397291
File: 183 KB, 600x450, DK3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2396157
DK2 replace donkey with dixie it is like diddy but more slow, DK3 replace diddy with a slow baby doesn't feel like you can run through the jungle any more, the game is fine but it lack the spirit from previous games.

>> No.2397418

>>2397290

If this is the case, I can't say that the gambit paid off. While DKC 1 and 2 had ambient music that fit the theme of the level being played, DKC3's music was completely subdued to the point where the game might have well been without music entirely.

I do agree that Nuts and Bolts stood out of the DKC 3 soundtrack, but it stood out because it got loud, with all those mechanical sounds and guitar riffs - it fits the level theme well. Everything else in the game was using these strange mellow sounds that don't fit the more frenetic pace of this game at all.

>> No.2397852

>>2397123
Why don't you turn it off then? Surely it can be turned off.

>> No.2400642

The game had kind of a weird, unfocused presentation in general. The environments are kind of mundane and unmemorable (fucking barns, jesus), music ranges from great to ridiculous and enemy designs are just fucking weird for the most part. It's really fun to play once you get over this though, but it can take a while.

>> No.2400693

Wow, when i read threads like these i realize how unrefined my taste is.

I can perceive and understand any game's flaws, but unless they are overly irritating or the game is extremely boring i can still play and enjoy the game.

I can spend hours and hours enjoying some obscure NES/SNES/GENESIS game most people would drop 2 minutes in.

>> No.2400696

>>2400642
>barns

Sawmills actually. It's part of the industrial theme, but I suppose not everyone picked up on that.

>> No.2400838

>>2396157
It'd still be the weakest of the trilogy but it'd definitely be a bit more fondly remembered.
The games real issues were a forgettable soundtrack, lackluster presentation and every level being excessively gimmicky. It has its moments but the game as a whole is far more hit and miss than its predecessors, especially Diddy's Kong Quest.

>>2396987
Was Wise rushed on the GBA soundtrack or something?
It's so much weaker than his SNES work and Tropical Freeze. What the fuck happened?

>> No.2400851

>>2400838
I've read that the original intention for the GBA version was to have both the original and Wise soundtracks in the game, but due to time constraints it ended up not happening.

I think development time for each of the GBA ports was roughly equivalent to the originals, so it wouldn't make sense that he was rushed.

http://www.dkvine.com/features/stamped_dkcgba.html

>> No.2401221
File: 16 KB, 256x224, 1372348937181.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The biggest fault of DKC3 is that Diddy isn't playable and there isn't a GOTTA GO FAST character to take his place. Think about playing the first two games, and how you always switch to Diddy because of how nimble and fun to control he is. Dixie and Kiddy are a lot slower and heftier and it makes the game even slower than DKC1.

I really wish DKC romhacking was a bigger thing that it currently is. My dream hack is one that adds both Donkey Kong and Diddy as playable characters that you can switch to in the Save Caves or something. And then you could play as any combination of the 4 characters.

I've been playing through DKC3 recently. It's a very good game, not as good as DKC2, but I'd say it's better than the first game. DKC1 has a more focused aesthetic, but the mechanics aren't as refined and it's short and easy.

That's not to say the aesthetic of 3 is bad. I really love stages like the cliff levels, the cave levels, snow levels, and the factory stages are pretty cool. The levels with the big mountains and stuff in the background are really quite nice.

Soundtrack is very underrated. I guess some people just don't appreciate the more subtle and minimalist approach, but it works really well to build a great atmosphere that I think makes for some of the best moments in the series. The Water World track is downright ominous and the water levels are the best in the trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mCsa2q2a4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FuBRhQfzKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnaO1AddZs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZ2gTXDwEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQsHceLi6RY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuTpn2g9L-M

I can't say I really understand the enemy design complaints. People say they're too goofy, as if there wasn't completely goofy shit in the first two games.

>> No.2401224

>>2400838
The GBA's sound quality and a general lack of motivation probably played a big role. I often wonder why there are two soundtracks at all.

>>2397852
I use swipe to text, it's much faster but some words are at similar sweeping locations on the keyboard (video and voodoo, for instance) so I have to do a little proofreading.

>> No.2401232

>>2396157
i've never heard of this game, and i 100%ed donkey kong country 1

>> No.2401237

>>2401221
Diddy and Kiddy move at the same speed. In fact, Kiddy is the more flexible character because he can water skip and be thrown into broken patches of ground.

>> No.2401240
File: 546 KB, 768x671, dkc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone who thinks that DKC3 has poor level design, atmosphere, music, or lacks challenge, they should play through Razor Ridge (World 7). The end of the game is a lot better than the first few worlds which I think turns a lot of people off.

>>2401237
But Kiddy has a larger hit box and can't jump as well

>> No.2401248

>>2401237
Diddy has the fastest running speed, all other characters are slower but the same.
Diddy and DKC3 Dixie both have the fastest walking speed.
DK has the slowest rolling speed, all other characters are equivalent.

src: http://dkca.net/f/p40540

>> No.2401256
File: 1.47 MB, 215x200, diddy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2401248
I knew I wasn't crazy

Diddy confirmed GOAT

>> No.2401364

>>2396571
dkc3 is more nostalgic to me than any other game

>> No.2401374

I actually liked 3 FAR more than 1 or 2.
The collectibles added another dimension to the game and finding secrets on the overworld was so satisfying.
Not to mention every level felt fresh with a new gimmick.
Burning ropes, random lightning, goofy controls, outrunning a saw, feeding the fish, etc.
Every level felt unique.

>> No.2401429
File: 26 KB, 463x294, 54675678.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fuck this guy doe

>> No.2401440

>>2401374
Lots of people complain about the gimmicks but I feel they were implemented nicely. They were intuitive and didn't need to explain themselves and it never felt like you had to learn an entirely new mechanic for a single level.

>> No.2401616

>tfw no good DKC/series rom hacks

we should have a DK World by now goddamnit

>> No.2401649

>>2401616
fuck that's a good idea

>> No.2401654
File: 26 KB, 250x251, dk94.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw Donkey Kong '94 is better than all three DKC games combined

>> No.2401671

>>2401654
kill yourself

>> No.2401679

I really like the overworld in DKC3, really felt neat to actually move around, explore, and find secrets. Some level settings were bad, I'm not a big fan of barns, but the later levels were still excellent. Also I really liked Dixie, she's a good protagonist and I was disappointed she was replaced by Tiny in 64. The soundtrack is fine, it just doesn't hold a candle to some of DKC2's bests. I liked the relaxing atmosphere as well.

My biggest complaints were:
-Kiddy Kong
-K. Rool trying to crack jokes with scooby doo references, he just feels like a different character
-some enemy redesigns were... odd. Kremlings just look weird.
-Feels slower overall to DKC2

DKC2 is still my favorite but 3 is a close second.

>> No.2401692

>>2401616
a hack that combines all of the levels from all 3 games that allows you to pick from any of the 4 Kongs to play

would be amazing

>> No.2401714

DK3 is like injecting 2 with shitty gimmicks, replacing Diddy with a fockin babby, totally raping the awesome flow of gameplay 2 had, and all with the least good DKC music. As for the flow comment, DK2 had silky smooth flow. Nothing broke the natural string of jumps and rolls, the action moved at a steady clip. The flow is what makes both 1 and 2 godtier in my eyes. DKC3 feels totally off for reasons mentioned above, and gimmicky bullshit and level design lacking the flow ruined it. DKC2 is one of the most immersive games ever imo just because of its flow, music, level design, etc

>> No.2401734

>>2396338
More colorful, cartoony visuals.
The soundtrack.
Bizarre adventure game elements that didn't really add a lot to the game's replayability.
Came out in 1996.

These are the main reasons no one really likes the game that much, but it wasn't a bad game.