[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 74 KB, 1024x768, RE2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2390256 No.2390256 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Games everyone else loves that you can't stand

I can't stand any of the retro Resident Evil games. The setting is cool but the controls are fucking terrible. If a horde of zombies get to you you're pretty much fucked cause the character is so slow. I sort of felt the same way about Metal Gear Solid.

>> No.2390269

>>2390256

Millennial detected. If you played them when they came out, you'd have no issues. You've only been spoiled by later control schemes.

>> No.2390278

>>2390256

The "Tank Controls" as they're known, are because the game uses fixed camera positions. You need controls that are relative to the character, not the screen, because the camera is always changing. There are other games from that era that uses standard controls, but static camera. And then people complain because you have to switch controls every time the perspective changes.

Honestly, all you'd need to do to improve the RE games:

>quickturn in RE 1, 2
>inventory tweaking (keys and other small items do not take up space)

This could be done rather easily via romhacking.

>Metal Gear Solid

It controls fine. Only issue would be aiming controls. And it has auto-aim anyways. Later games fix this.

>> No.2390289

>>2390269
Obviously not him but I've played RE4 and 5 before 1, 2 and 3 but I still like the older numbered titles more.
This has nothing to do with the year you've born in or what games you've played before although I admit that most "gamers" nowadays only play the newest ones but I can imagine that this was always the case, that a lot of people growing up with a PS1 didn't go back to earlier generations.
I apologize in case you weren't serious.

>> No.2390363

>>2390269
I hate disregarding opinions because of ones age but this is true.... The controls arent bad, just different.

>> No.2390369

>>2390256
I will never understand this. Do modern games all play the same so that it makes it almost impossible to get used to different control schemes and gameplay? How can it take more than five minutes to adapt?

>> No.2390374

>>2390369
Problem is younger people didn't grow up with Tank controls or all those old slidey squishy platformer like Alex Kidd, nowadays characters in game use to move around really fluidly, it's hard for most people to get used to older control feedbacks when they're used to move characters that can fucking fly around maps, not to mention dealing with games with prerendered backgrounds.
Maybe Monster Hunter is one of those modern games with controls that are a bit more tanky than average, but again, it's really different from RE or even Alone in The Dark.

>> No.2390398

>>2390256
quickest way to get used to tanl controls, play the Hunk minigame until you win.
The engine becomes a breeze after that.

>> No.2390402

if tank controls weren't a piece of shit, maybe people would stop recommending the N64 version over and over again just because of analogue controls

>> No.2390415
File: 40 KB, 640x462, RE2_N64_PAL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2390256
Literally every problem you have with the game was fixed in the N64 version.

>> No.2390517
File: 7 KB, 186x186, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This pile of shit.

>Shitty clunky boring as fuck gameplay. I fucking hate shooters without satisfying gunplay.
>Disgusting looking world, both artistically and technically. Literally gave me eye cancer even at release.
>Constant shitty tapdancing footsteps that make the faggot sound like he's running at 40 mph but he's actually going as slow as a turtle.
>Story exposition that constantly detracts from gameplay.

Holy shit what a pile of balls. The entire RPG genre is bullshit, too, btw (save for a couple of exceptions like Souls - but those are more action orientated games with GOOD gameplay with RPG elements and the story doesn't get in the way of the game at all). What the fuck is the point of Final Fantasy for example? What is so good about merely grinding up experience points so that you can afford some bullshit mechanic that you select from a menu in order to beat a boss? What the flying motherfuck is fun about that? Why does RPG always come with crappy gameplay? Is it like a prerequirement for it or something? Is it because RPG gamers can't handle actual gameplay and overcome actual skill based obstacles?

Video games should be challenging your skill. Overcoming levels should be because you inherently acquire the skill to overcome the obstacle; not because you have to grind your ass off to be at a certain virgin wizard level to beat it. What a pile of shit.

(continued)

>> No.2390519

>>2390517 (continued)

And story in video games is a pile of shit, too. There are FAR better mediums for me to be engrossed in a story in, whether it's a book, a movie or a television serial. This is only made more pronounced by the fact that video game developers are rarely good writers, the scripting is usually horrendous, voice acting worse and I can't relate to a fucking mesh of pixels. I don't care if a game has a story, but when that story detracts from gameplay, 99% of the time it's a pile of shit. Which is what the RPG genre is in a nutshell: a pile of shit.

I think RPG is a genre for people that suck so hard at life (and video games) that they have to indulge in 'roleplay' in order to escape their crappy existence. Just my 2c.

You can add Final Fantasy, System Shock 2 and Morrowind to that list. Three other revered RPGs I had the misfortune of playing.

>> No.2390524
File: 177 KB, 906x706, zfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2390256
I always wanted to like Resident Evil and MGS, but goddamn I just can't enjoy the movement and the other gameplay affecting things. It's probably because I grew up playing computer games with accurate controls etc.
I'm a big sucker for zombie movies and RE games are probably everything I love about zombies and b-movies, but goddamn those tank controls.

>> No.2390541

>>2390517
>>2390519
Is this some pasta I'm not aware of?
Or is it unadulterated shitposting?

>> No.2390543
File: 127 KB, 827x545, 1427624409319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2390517
>>2390519

Meh, I thought you're going somewhere with this. But no, you're just 12.

>> No.2390545

>>2390524
> It's probably because I grew up playing computer games with accurate controls etc.

RE's controls come, as well as camera-angle types, as well as the whole "3D models within 2D pre-rendered backgrounds" was created by Alone In The Dark. A computer game.

I also don't see what you mean by "computer game with accurate controls". In a FPS you press forward to go forward, no matter what. In RE you press forward to go forward, no matter what. Big fucking deal. Only difference is you can't strafe, or in case of SH1, your strafing is limited, which is also the case in some FPS like Powerslave.

It's not the controls you're unable to get used to. It's the point of view, the camera angles. Yet it's very simple, you just need to put yourself in a shoes of the character, pretend you see things from his point of view; which to me makes more sense too.

Honestly as far as early 3D games are concerned, I have no problem with AITD-type controls; but on the contrary camera-centric controls (like in that Bugs Bunny game on PS1 as a random example) tend to confuse me a little.

>> No.2390562

One thing that can help with controlling Resident Evil is using the auto-aim feature.
A lot of people don't actually realise what happens when you aim, but you will automatically face towards the nearest zombie, even off screen ones.
Once it's dead, release and press the aim button again, and you'll focus on the next zombie.

Never aim and turn left and right, that's stupid.

With that said, you would still have to get over the fact that you might be better off running diagonally at a wall for a bit when you get to the corner.

>> No.2390581
File: 29 KB, 250x347, Phantasy_Star_II.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A fastforward button and/or reducing the encounter rate by 80% could have made this a solid 4/10 I guess

>> No.2390583

ITT: Plebs

>> No.2390586

>>2390562
most don't notice because it's not the default control option! you have to manually go into options and enable that by using control type c

>> No.2390589

>>2390581
Not to mention getting rid of that shit foreground layer.

>> No.2390610

>>2390519
rpg tard here, you are actually correct in my case, i DO want to escape life, and i do indeed suck at it too. i can't get into resident evil or metal gear.. and im old so i DID play them as they came out since errybody raved about them.. just not my cup of tea. to each their own.

>> No.2390649

What gets me is I sometimes hear a lot of people criticize the tank controls in the older RE games, but then praise RE4, saying it's the one that got it right.

Apparently not realizing that RE4 has the exact same controls as the older ones. It just doesn't have the fixed camera angles.

Anyways, for some reason I just was never able to get into 3D platformers. I don't know why. I don't think they're bad games at all, I just can't get into them for some reason.

I think part of it is the disjointed collectathon gameplay. I find them to be really not very "platformy" at times. More often than not, you're just running around an area looking for shit with only ever requiring pretty basic platforming.

I think 2D platformers just allow for more interesting and complicated level design. And you're not exploring a level, you're getting to the end of it. It's much more like an obstacle course, while levels in 3D platformers are mostly just big open areas.

I really just don't get why so many 3D platformers were structured in that specific way. Crash Bandicoot showed that you can have level design similar to a 2D platformer but in 3D.

So yeah, SM64, Spyro, Banjo, DK64, I just couldn't get into them. It's one of the reasons I liked Super Mario 3D World so much, as I feel it nails the feeling and gameplay of the classic 2D Marios in 3D.

And again, I'm not saying those games are bad. They're not. They're objectively well made games. I just couldn't get into them.

>> No.2390652

I've always loved fixed camera horror games. Sure it's not the most pragmatic of control schemes, but this is survival horror. The game is supposed to mess with you.

Couldnt physically see the zombies behind the corner because of the camera ? Haha too bad, mate, better luck next time. (also use the audio clues. Resident Evil has awesome sound design)

>> No.2390664

Honestly, I've beaten all of the classic RE games (other than 3) and I can't really get behind them. There's something boring about the shopping list style gameplay (get item X use it on object Y so you can get to the next area).

If you play one horror game on the PS1, make it Silent Hill. It's actually scary.

>> No.2390668

>>2390649
It has worse controls, actually. Not only do you turn slowly as fuck like in the older games but you also have to slowly aim at enemies instead of pressing one button and having your aim snap to them.

>> No.2390687

>>2390668
Well, there is a button that makes you do a 180 instantly.

I do think the aiming sensitivity could have been higher, but having auto aim would have ruined the game. Especially since headshots were made much more important in this game.

The HD rerelease fixes the sensitivity issue though.

Also, I should mention that the REmake HD version has the option for fully analog movement, and it just makes the game a total joke. Zombies pose no threat to you whatsoever since your character moves as fast as you can react.

>> No.2390701

I've played through 60% or so of arcanum by estimate and I think it's quite overrated. The only actually good thing about it is the setting.

>> No.2390715

>>2390664

It's a different approach. Silent Hill is Jacob's Ladder, Resident Evil is Friday the 13th part 6

>> No.2390730

>ALttP

Boring as fuck. About 4 hours in you've done everything of value but it keeps going on and on.

>Smash Bros.

Button mashing. An okay party game but anyone who takes it seriously as a fighting game is only deluding themselves.

>Tekken

It's just a not as good version of Virtua Fighter.

>> No.2392248

>>2390730
>>Smash Bros.
>Button mashing.
Nah dude. Nah. Fuck. Goddamn. Like serious, you're a retard.

>> No.2392325

>>2390517
This seems like severe /v/ tier shitposting but yeah, I couldn't really get into System Shock 2 either.

>> No.2392331

>>2390730
>ALttP
>Boring as fuck. About 4 hours in you've done everything of value but it keeps going on and on.

You can get all three pendants under 4 hours if you know what you are doing.

>> No.2392347

>>2390256
>If a horde of Zombies get to you you're pretty much fucked

You're playing wrong then. The point of classic RE is to pay attention to the signs, and try to avoid or run away from fights until you get better weapons. It's about planning ahead and learning things. Not blindly running and gunning.

And if you DO get cornered by Zombies, you can by ALL means escape easily. Sure, RE1 can fuck you, because knocking one zombie off won't effect the others in the area. but RE2 onward let you knock multiple back at once. So you could run into any mob, let one bite you, then push them all back and run through while they staggered and swayed.

Not to mention the FACT that the MCs' running speed is literally 10X the speed of the fastest zombies. They're not so much action game type enemies as they are hurdles. They're there to stop your progression or slow you down at best.

You just suck, anon. Sorry to break it to you.

>> No.2392372

>>2392331
You can beat the game in under 4 hours if you know what you're doing.

I agree though. 8 dungeons + 3 pendant dungeons was simply too much.

The pendant stuff feels trivial as fuck, and the real meat is the 8 dark world dungeons.

>> No.2392510

>>2390374
Yet I grew up controlling characters in 2d space, with basically two axes of movement. When it came time to play PS1 or N64 when they came out, I didn't bitch about how "I didn't grow up playing these controls". I adapted, and got the hang of it in about 15 minutes.

The idea that you can't go backwards to more simple inputs but you can easily go forwards to more advanced ones it ridiculous.

>> No.2392532

>>2392372
Yes, but I estimated four hours to someone new to the game but with prior experience with Zelda

>> No.2393528
File: 28 KB, 379x373, oot-logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

everyone is going to hate me for this, I liked the 2d ones, but could never get on with zelda ocarina of time don't know why

>> No.2393540

>>2393528
I feel the same way anon, 2d Zelda will always be the best in my opinion. Then again I'm a weirdo and my favourite Zelda game is probably Link's Awakening

>> No.2393569

>>2390415
the existence of this has always baffled me
when they initially released it, it was on two discs, and then a little later they drop the whole thing on a cartridge with slightly worse audio and arguably better graphics
fucking wizards

>> No.2393591

Everyone seems to be talking about finding it hard to get in to MGS. I did too. However my friend recently got me MGS4 for the PS3 and just said "Play it, you may hate the first few hours but then after that you will love it." And he was right, I am suddenly into the series and I am now going though the first one now, However I have never understood the hype over Zelda, I always found my self just looking up guides online if not I will get bored of trying to find the next dungeon.

>> No.2393595

>>2393569

Well, a lot of the space on CDs is taken up by:

>dummy data
>music
>FMV

The actual games are something like 60mb. Disk 1 and 2 share most of the same data. So you then heavily compress the audio, backgrounds, and FMV, and yes you can fit it on one cartridge.

>> No.2393596

>>2393528
I'm in the same boat. A Link to the Past is one of my all time favorite games but I have never finished a 3D one... There's just something about the series that got lost in translation.

>> No.2393620

>>2393528
I've only played four Zelda games (and then never felt the need to play another one since they're all the same fucking shit. inb4 some autist mentions Zelda 2 whatever faggot).

LA, OoT, ALttP and MM.

LA and OoT were beautiful games and two of my most cherished gaming memories. In fact LA is also in my 3x3. Somehow though, I could never give a fuck about ALttP. I don't even know what it is, it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't really care for the world, I find the gameplay boring, the dungeons boring, the characters boring. I don't even like the colour palette. I've literally tried to play through the game three times many years apart and each and every time I ended up dropping it.

Never liked MM either. I think I tried to play through it twice and both times I was forcing the shit out of myself.

I don't know why people keep playing Zelda games. They're too formulaic. You play one 2D Zelda you've played 'em all, one 3D Zelda you've played them all.

They need to change up the formula already.

>> No.2393621

>>2390668

you also got leon's huge torso taking up a quarter of the screen

>> No.2393623
File: 188 KB, 492x440, 43534.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2392372
>The pendant stuff feels trivial as fuck, and the real meat is the 8 dark world dungeons.

I always found it odd that they expect me to prove myself WORTHY to save the world. I mean really guys Im doing you a favor. I could just go home. Maybe ganons rule won't be so bad, lord knows the previous king wasn't do so hot a job if one pig is enough to take shit over

>> No.2393665

>>2390543
yeah Majestic 12

>> No.2393715

>>2390269
A large portion of millennials would have played that at release you idiot.

>> No.2396238

>>2390256
>If a horde of zombies get to you you're pretty much fucked
>If you fall down a hole in Super Mario Brothers you're pretty much fucked
You're not supposed to get got by a horde of zombies (horror SURVIVAL).
>cause the character is so slow.
I don't remember this being a thing, I thought there was a 'run' button.
>I sort of felt the same way about Metal Gear Solid.
>Guards keep seeing me. I can always outrun them. Literally. Every time.
You're not supposed to get got by a horde of guards (action-adventure STEALTH).

I hate tank controls too. The main reason I haven't gone back to play any of them but love watching the GF play them.

>> No.2396265

XenoGears.

I recognize the ambition and the scope, but let's face it, it is a huge chore to play through. Even the text scrolling is unbearably slow. It really annoys me when fans condescend to everyone else all "it's okay anon, it's just too DEEP for you" like it's really a masterpiece instead of a silly digest on existentialist philosophy and Carl Jung mysticism, plus giant robots.

>> No.2396498

>>2390581
>reducing the encounter rate by 80%

Because grinding is so much fun, right?

>> No.2396703

>>2390278
>inventory tweaking (keys and other small items do not take up space)

This would ruin RE1 since the real puzzle in the game (rather than matching keys with locks) is planning out what items you should carry and what paths you should be taking to lose as little resources as possible.

It would have the same effect as adding MGS2 mechanics to MGS1 had in Twin Snakes, completely breaking the game.

This whole thing is not as much of a deal in the sequels though, so yeah, they could easily have dropped that feature after.

>> No.2396961

>>2390256
I'm the opposite. I love the controls and what original RE did in terms of its level design, but zombies bore me.

Character centric movement (aka "tank controls, but tank controls aren't always character centric) allows for fixed cameras/pre gen backgrounds to work without disorinting you when changing screens. And the fixed camera/per gen backgrounds allow for the player to only see what the designers what them to see. This allows for "cinematic" techniques and character angles to translate into game form instead of cut scenes.

You can do the same thing with camera centric controls like in Parasite Eve and get much the same result, but it's more limiting in what you can do with it.

So you have this game that popularized this cool technique with a well designed game... and it is just a cheesy action flick that doesn't even use zombies to mean something.

>> No.2396969

>>2393528
I've liked OoT and MM, even if the original LoZ is my favorite. Thing is that 3D and 2D Zeldas despite their similarities are different beast and I can understanding liking one and not the other.