[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 300x300, 1310213955012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2357069 No.2357069 [Reply] [Original]

Self explanatory. Post your own, help others.

>> No.2357071

it was probably a learning game, but you playd as a frog and you'd get obsticales in your way and you either needed math to get through them or a selection of 'over through, or under' I remember one obsticle was a big building and I dont think any of the three options worked.

>> No.2358482

It was top down, released in the 80s or 90s.

I think it was a type of Jurassic Park game, because you played as a human rescuing other humans while defending yourself from dinosaurs. I'm fairly sure it was on PC.

>> No.2359420

My bad for fucking up and making that other thread. RIP Spooky Games thread with 8 posts

There was this arcade-y game on the computers of my after school program, and its main mechanic was that you would shoot exploding golf balls down range that was filled with a shitload of different props. Things like billboards, blimps, moving vans, buildings, that kind of shit. Everything that you could hit had animations for being blown to bits. The value of a target was based on how far away from the tee off spot it was and its size. I could only play one level, since it was shareware or something to that nature. Download the demo, pay for the full game. The one level I could play was based on a desert area seemingly just off of the Vegas Strip, with goofy billboards and moving cowboy signs.

>> No.2359563

When I was young I played a space strategy game that I loved the hell out of but it was only a demo, and by the time i was old enough and wanted to buy it for myself, the company didn't exist anymore.

The things I remember about it was, you didn't pick your race, but your units did speak english, you could only make out some of the quotes though such as "for the cause" or "attacking"
You had a bunch of different planet types to colonize, earthlike, arid, ocean, gas, deadworld(this really stuck out) and had to have increasingly more research into colonization tech and attach planet specific modules to colonize them.
You had to outfit all of the ships yourself and were able to save them as templates, you could choose fighters, destroyers, cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, carriers, and deathstars. The space allotment increased in that order.
Anything could be fit on each ship provided it had the space, you could fit more on with better miniturization research.
What really stood out and i havn't seen any game do since is that ships could load up onto other ships, not just fighters into a carrier, but if you had enough space, you could load a destroyer or cruiser onto a carrier, or a carrier onto a deathstar.
This was handy because anything on a ship could be damaged/destroyed and there was NO self repair. So you could roll up a carrier to a stricken cruiser and load it up and take it back to a planet to repair.
Ships could be fitted with resource hauling modules to transport your only resource from planet to planet, the resource was called Irridium.
The galactic map was enourmous and in the two hour demo you'd rarely run into any of the 7 AI.

This game is anywhere from 1990 to 1995 I'd wager. I've wanted to play it again for years but have had no luck finding it, I thought it was called Space Conquest but that's never given me correct results.
Anyone know the game?

>> No.2360346

For pc around mid 90s.
was dos game
you had to fly something through these circles.
the circle was on the screen in front of you. I think you were a ship. Youre in space I guess.
the circles changed
it was just the demo I had
very arcadey

>> No.2360360

If anyone find this one you are a king!

Amstrad CPC464
you play a ninja, the first levels take place in a forest.
you can throw shurikens and fight other ninjas

Maybe it was in a bundle sold with the computer cant remember.

hint: it's not the last ninja

>> No.2360372

This game is definitely a 19XX game. At least that's what I remember. I don't think it's 19XX War of Destiny or 1944: The Loop Master. This is because the arcade game I remember had a selection of 5 or so planes. One is the infamous pancake and at least another looked like an upside down Y. I might be confusing 2 games as I frequented Japanese and American arcades at the same time and they had alot of shmups.

>> No.2360378
File: 27 KB, 480x308, Jpsnes_shot[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2358482
this it?

>> No.2360389
File: 92 KB, 506x347, strikers1945ii.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2360372
If it has both the Pancake and the Shinden I am pretty sure you are looking for a Strikers 1945 game.

>> No.2360414
File: 82 KB, 200x250, 655[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2360389
ahhh yiss! thanks!

>> No.2360479

>>2360378

Possibly.
It wasn't that detailed though. More NES or C64.
Just found it online so I'll give it a play to see if it's it.

Just played it, it's definitely not the SNES game.

Are there any DOS games similar to the NES version? I'm playing that right now to see if it's that.

captcha: PCLan

>> No.2360484

Tried in many threads with no luck but here we go.

PC game.
Board game.
Multiplayer.
Multiple routes to take.
Your token could turn into steam, liquid or a solid.

That's literally all I can recall.

>> No.2360648

- PS1 Game
- JRPG
- I remember at the start you picked from multiple characters, each one had a different storyline
- Played as this little girl(?) in a world that looked like a bunch of blocks
- Possibly "Legend of ___" or "Secret of ___"

>> No.2360663

This is an old, edutainment game where you play as either a boy or a girl and shoot monsters or numbers to save math or something of the sorts. Its a mix of platforming and run n' gun gameplay with math questions within. Might have the word munchers in it or something.

>> No.2360676
File: 189 KB, 1920x1080, 5b747.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2360648
Legend of Legaia.
Wild Arms.
Legend of Mana

All I can think of.

>> No.2360689

Trying to remember 2 PC/Mac games

first
>you're a polygonal spider or spider-like robot
>you're in a lab or something
>maybe platform puzzle based?
>lots of blue and green

second
>black and white FPS
>played kind of like Hexen or Blood

>> No.2360728

>>2360663
Math rescue?

>> No.2360761

>>2360663
Math/Word Rescue

>> No.2360765

>>2360663
Math Bath. Either that or Byte Words

>> No.2360776

>>2360728
>>2360761
Yes! Thank you. Maybe you could help me with another one:

This is an edutainment game in which there is this "cool" bear who tells you word/math problems. I can't remember if it was over a game of pool or not. Kinda looked like a jazz club or something in the background

>> No.2360789

>>2360776
STICKY BEAR

possibly

>> No.2360813

>>2360648
Legend of mana or secret of mana for sure

>> No.2360879

>>2360689
First sounds like Galapagos.
Second is ZPC.

>> No.2360919

I'll post mine while I read yours.

PSX game:
Top-down view, cartoony graphics, playable character is a boy (maybe a girl too), enemies are monsters and you start on a big house full of enemies, the first boss is in the garden of said house and it is a giant mutant or haunted pumpkin.

The most unique thing I remember from this game is that you could use mirrors to warp into the "monster world" where you character transforms in a hulking monster, you used these mirrors as access points in the house level I think.

>> No.2360930

>>2360919
Brawl Street NPC1? Check with operation as well

>> No.2360969
File: 220 KB, 600x450, Zombies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2360919
Zombies ate my neighbors

>> No.2360972
File: 255 KB, 1920x1080, som.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2360648
Secret of Mana

>> No.2361017
File: 19 KB, 900x650, math game.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trying this one again:

PC math edutainment game; played on my dad's 386. Early 90's; definitely made before '93. You played as Earth's representative to some kind of intergalactic math game show. The host was human(-ish?) with blonde hair and a smug grin. The game show had a mascot. It was an alien that looked like a green jello mold with an antenna sticking out the top of it, and it might have been wearing sunglasses.

As for the game itself, you and the CPU would solve math crosswords. The picture shows what the screen looks like during the game. At the beginning of each player's turn, 1 or 2 basic unsolved equations would appear. Before starting, up to 3 green aliens (based on difficulty) would appear on the play area and you had to steer them into the white tiles. Doing so would turn the tile green and would give you bonus points if you correctly solved the equation. The aliens moved like Pac-Man; if you pressed a direction, they would keep moving until they hit a tile or the edge of the play area, after which they would continue in the opposite direction. The first and third alien would move whichever direction you pressed, while the second alien would move opposite. The game would end after each player had 5 or so turns, or basically when there wasn't any more room to fit more questions.

>> No.2361021

There was a game for nes, that you controlled a witch who had a similar facial look to mega man. The game may have been made by Capcom. Think it was a side scroller. You used magic.

>> No.2361040
File: 5 KB, 256x224, Krion Conquest, The (U) [!]-0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2361021
It may have been Krion Quest

>> No.2361059

Just read up on it. Krion Conquest is very similar to Mega man. You change powers via a menu and your outfit color changes too, there is even a charge shot. Enemies and levels look like they are straight from mega man.

>> No.2361062

16-bit fighting game. One of the fighters was a woman with a (possibly white) tiger. She may have been a boss character.

>> No.2361068

This is gonna be a pretty damn vague description, so sorry about that . Okay I'm not sure what console it came out on, but I played a demo as a kid at Toys R Us around the time when playstaion and saturn first came out. You play as a blonde kid with a mowhawk or spiky hair and sunglasses. It's part platformer, part sidescrolling shooter because you can fly with rocket shoes.

>> No.2361181
File: 29 KB, 304x224, kinu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2361062
Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash?

>> No.2361603

It was some sort of weird shmup that was like basically a sidescrolling version of Xevious. The title screen was VERY flashy and had somewhat droning, almost depressing, soulless music. I think you had to shoot fish as well? I know for a fact this game was on the NES.

>> No.2361621

>>2357069
There was this Commode 64 game, at least I think it was a commodore, it ran James Pond and this Terminator game.

There was this game that had a sidescrolling space marine/ power ranger looking dude. It had beautiful backround/colour/vista backdrops and looked like different planets. The music was awesome. I think it may of had r-type like flying sections integrated but I'm not sure. If you can name it I'd be happy.

>> No.2361628

>>2360879

Hell yeah Galapagos

>> No.2361632

I've been looking for an old DOS sidescroller, it was pretty long from what I remember and the protagonist was some kind of Magnum P.I. clone, plot was about some kind of bioweapon lab getting blown up and having all the bioweapons escape and destroy the city.
First level was after a car crash and there was a huge skyscraper like bulding to explore before moving on.

Thanks in advance /vr/others.

>> No.2361635

>>2361632
Bio Menace from Apogee. Good game.

>> No.2361636

It was a side-scrolling futuristic beat-em-up. I only remember that you could choose between multiple characters, one of whom had really long hair, possibly brightly colored, which he used as an attack weapon. Also on the first level you had a giant truck as an enemy at one point, I think it might have been a boss

>> No.2361639
File: 17 KB, 640x400, Bio_Menace_title.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2361635
Fuck yes, that's exactly it.
I love you Anon, you have my eternal gratitude.

>> No.2361663

Okay, here's mine.

Commodore 64. Single screen shooter where you controlled a crosshair. UFOs appeared and you shot them down. Possibly various landmarks in the background a la Bombjack but not sure. What made it different was that you could "wing" the ufos and they would fall down allowing you to shoot them again, with a shrill whine when you do so.

Any ideas folks?

>>2361621
Sounds like Zamzara or maybe even Dan Dare

>> No.2361793
File: 29 KB, 320x200, Turrican%20II%20-%20The%20Final%20Fight_4[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2361663
After looking at your suggestions I thought they looked alot older than the game I had in mind. So I ruled out the Commodore and started looking at the Amiga and Atari's.

Turns out it was Turrican 2 on an Amiga 500. To my surprise the music is decent and not just nostalgia lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rvQzQL6kSo

>> No.2361820

>NES game
>You play as a robot that bombs things
>Wasn't cartoony like Bomberman
>I remember a screen full of bushes or trees, with rocks along the top edge. There was a hidden door or something in the rocks you could bomb open.

>> No.2361823

>>2360648

SaGa Frontier?

>> No.2361840

>>2361793
If by "decent" you mean some of the best ever made, sure.

>> No.2361847
File: 15 KB, 237x212, robowarrior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2361820
Robowarrior

Have fun bro !

>> No.2361861

>>2361847
Not him, but thanks anon. I'd been trying to remember this game for a while now.

>> No.2361891

>>2360689
First really sounds like Spider on the PS1

>> No.2361970

>>2361603
Guardian Legend?

>> No.2362118

>>2361636
You sure it's not Kabuki Quantum Fighter?

>> No.2364551

>>2360360
I remember Shinobi having a forest level,but it's near the end of the game.
While checking the CPC version I stumbled upon Ninja Spirit. Could be that

>> No.2364629

I had this stuck inside me for years, please help me get it out.
Basically I bought a cd with 3 games from a gas station (in Europe), also had some demos iirc. I was like 10 back then or something.
It had Lode Runner 2, something, and the game which is stuck in my head forever.
>pc game
>some girl/skinny dude dressed in black with something like a gun for a hand or a ninja sword (has to be one of the two)
>iirc it was kind of atmospheric
>had action combat
>you went through some sewers or something at the start, the dungeon was pretty brown looking I think
>I think the MC had like a mask or a helmet of some sort
>MC looked kinda like a power ranger
I'm sorry that this is all I have, maybe someone knows it

>> No.2364638

>>2364629
Game was in 3rd person, forgot to mention

>> No.2364897

Anti Drug style game

i remember..

>Firebombing a classroom
>stealing a gun
>accidentally killing a small girl with the gun
>Some character that's like a humanoid deer offers you alcohol or is at a party where they are drinking alcohol
>one of the areas/levels is called the "hood"

I think it was all about "making good choices" and not falling into degeneracy etc etc..

>> No.2364937

>>2360360
Legend of Kage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec22RxlszvM

>> No.2365161

>>2364638
Mdk

>> No.2365485

As much as I like these threads, we should make some kind of cataloging site/utility for this kind of query, with a repository of all the downloads for them we can legally host, and maybe a tech support section/forum/subsection for each game and relevant hardware or emulation.

like a database of every known game ever, wiki-esque in design, and ways to narrow it down (by system, year, company, art style, rating,whatever)

>> No.2365496

Learning game, I believe on the PSX, though it's not impossible it was the Genesis. You walked around in a library type area and read stories then answered questions about onomatopoeia and shit like that. There was this guy who was trying to steal all the knowledge from the books because knowledge is power and to catch up to him you had to answer the book quizzes and proceed through four or so levels. At the end of the game it's revealed he's escaped and there's a sequel that I think was on a train. I've been posting this one for years but no one's ever been able to identify it. Please help.

>> No.2365586

some game where you give a cyclops dude a balloon

i'm starting to think it doesn't actually exist