[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 79 KB, 640x480, tf2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2351569 No.2351569[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Am I the only one who can't wait for TF2 to get released? I feel like I've been waiting for a long time, and now that TFC has been out for at least a couple of years, I kind of want something more realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what they did when TFC was released, but those screenshots they showed really are impressive. I mean, when they were talking about being able to shoot the flamethrower packs off the backs of pyros, that was really something.

>> No.2351573

Fuck off.

>> No.2351587
File: 35 KB, 512x384, QWTF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did anyone here play QWTF? I wasn't around for it, and I'd be curious to hear about peoples' experiences.

>> No.2351613

>>2351569
That version actually ran on a very early version of Source, right?

>> No.2351619

I wish TF2 had fucking conc grenades. I loved capping the flag at HYPERSPEED as a scout.

>> No.2351701

>>2351587
I played it for years, starting in late 1997 or early 1998.

It either didn't come with maps or only came with 2fort. Popular/standard maps were eventually established, but there were no official ones (aside from maybe 2fort) and servers could run anything. There may have been regional differences in map selection, and not all the popular maps I played became official in TFC and/or TF2. Map design was different then because it wasn't made with "competitive" play in mind like today, and maps were more interesting and organic as a result. TF had a fair share of unusual maps and mechanics. Cz (Canalzone) had a system where teams scored points by controlling positions on the map; rock, modeled after the movie, had you take a key from one end of the prison and activate a poison gas release at the other end, killing anyone not in the protective chamber or underwater; 2tech let you steal a special item to power a floodlight on your balcony; border (or something like that) had a team of unarmed players trying to cross the border in a truck, with two other teams fighting for or against them; town was set in a city at night and had some kind of cops and robbers theme, and at some point during the game there would be daybreak; 4fort replaced the 2fort bridge with an intersection to accomodate four bases and four teams. Some maps were just big and complicated, quite unlike the utterly claustrophobic maps of TF2. Demomen also had detpacks that could be used in some maps to make something happen, like open a new route (I remember there was a computer in the map "bases" you could blow up, but I don't remember what it did).

>> No.2351702

>>2351701
I think scoring worked by giving every player points whenever anyone on the team achieved an objective, and the team with the most points won. Pyros and heavies were largely useless. Friendly fire was usually or always on and all players collided, meaning that spy detection required some thinking and discretion unlike today; people would have to shoot in the air when approaching a defended area, and if they didn't they would get fragged. Players would also "challenge" each other that way to determine if someone was a spy. Knowing console commands was essential to playing because you had to bind the keys yourself and you could implement special features like keep a key pressed down to cook a grenade, disguise yourself and also lower your walking speed to match the class (maybe you would also set your fire button to reset the speed), and feign death and discard your backpack simultaneously for a more convincing "death." There was no server browser in Quakeworld, just a console. There were third party browsers but I never used them. Something I liked about the Quake engine was that the shadows were very deep, meaning that spies feigning death could hide very effectively in dark corners.

TFC was about the same as above except it made at least the heavy more effective and changed the scoring system.

>> No.2351705

>>2351613
The one in the screenshot didn't. It's got the HL GUI and even the textures. The character models might be based on Opposing Force.

>> No.2351708

>>2351705
Yes, but even the "Get your free TVs!" demo had that HUD, it's still considered very early Source.

>> No.2351716

>>2351569
I was interested in TF2 until the final one was announced. The modern schtick didn't look *good*, but interesting. What we got instead is just the same shit trimmed down, a remake for a new generation.

IMO Fortress Forever was the better remake, though equally pointless and short-lived.

>> No.2351725

>>2351701
I didn't get to play QTF in the day, but I noticed that a lot too. Not to say some of the TFC maps weren't open and complex, but among the stock maps those were very few, and mostly unpopular.

Still loved the hell out of rock2, no one else did though.

>> No.2351753

>>2351708
Has that been confirmed somewhere?

>> No.2351758

>>2351753
I mean, has it been confirmed that the early TF2 screenshots were running on any version of Source.

>> No.2351772

>>2351753
>>2351758
I've seen footage where the animation seems really smooth and nice, almost like a Source game.

I think it would also have been in development around the time that Source tech demo was developed.

>> No.2351785

>>2351716
>Fortress Forever
This was my intro to TF. I still haven't gone back and played TFC or the original Quake mod. After TF2 came out I put like 50 hours into it. Am I a bad person, /vr/?

>> No.2351797

>>2351785
I'd be surprised if you were even able to find an active server for TFC or QWTF now.

>> No.2351808

>>2351797
You can find a few TFC servers, but QWTF seems to be completely empty. Can't even find people on /vr/ who are willing to play it.

>> No.2351845

>>2351716
I tried fortress forever once and I shitkicked everyone on the server even the people who were supposed to be good. The rockets actually traveled at a decent speed so hitting people was too easy, I just remember solider fucking steam rolls harder than anything on FF.