[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 246 KB, 640x470, dr_mary.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2340724 No.2340724 [Reply] [Original]

after watching kinaman's videos on youtube,
i came to the idea that russian had it pretty rough when it came to video games in the late 80's & early 90's.
having to deal w/ 1000' of pirated titles & ports for the dendy, nonsense labels & stickers for games, & up to 5 different games claiming to be the official version.
but i also learned that some of the pirated versions of the games they had were superior to the licensed versions, like w/ the lion king.
this shit is kind of blowing my mind

>> No.2340747
File: 3 KB, 256x224, Super Mario 14_Mar29 15_02_36.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The best thing was having access to both chinese famiclones madness, and the real deal.

I'm from south america, and while official Nintendo products were available (albeit pricey as fuck), the most popular console in the 80s and early 90s was the Famiclone, commonly called Family Game.

I honestly don't mind having grow up with one. Lots of amazing games, many of them never came outside of Japan officially.
Multicarts were great actually, it wasn't bullshit "10000 in 1" when it's the same 10 games repeated. I had a legit 30 in 1 cart that had many classics.

At the end of the day, what you appreciate more about a game, especially as a kid, is playing it, not if it's original or not. As a kid having all these amazing games was great, I wouldn't change my Famiclone childhood for anything else.
I knew what a NES was, a friend of mine had one. But as far as I was concerned, it was just the same as my small Famiclone, except it was amerihueg with equally amerihueg cartidges and ultimately it was the same Super Mario Bros. 3 game on it, it didn't have better graphics or anything fancy so I didn't want a NES. I did want a SNES though, and I got one later.

>> No.2340795

The reason why Sony is so popular in latinamerica is because the PS1/PS2 were goldmines for pirates. Till this day in my country -Chile- theres stores who install modchips to play burned games.

My first console was an Atari XE computer in fucking 1993. And im pretty sure my dad probably paid for it the same price someone in the US would have paid for a NES. So, why would anyone in the third world care about piracy? After that i got like 2-3 famiclones (polystation, family computer, etc) with thousands of games. I think till i got a PC was the time i had the most fun playing vidya.

In other words, piracy was the best thing could happen here. I would prefer get a nes clone just for $20 rather than spending hundreds of dollars just to play Zelda or Mario on a N64. "What the hell is super Metroid? Who cares about OoT? Conker or Banjo? fuck those games! too expensive, they must be shit".

So when i see you guys fliping out because someone is playing a SNES on a LCD or shitpost because someone said Crash Bandicoot looks better than Conker, i cant stop laughing. Just being able to play games is a bless. And more games, the better, no matter if most of them are shit. Emulators are very nice too and im glad they exist.

>> No.2340798
File: 128 KB, 979x1060, 1405915085765.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2340747
>tfw spic
I had one of those keyboard famiclones with two multicarts, both had some japan only games and the others cool shit like Mortal Kombat (which I just recently found out was a shitty clone). While I wish I had the real deal being able to play all those games for dirt cheap was nice too.

>>2340795
>the PS1/PS2 were goldmines for pirates
I got my PS2 chipped from a legit electronic store, although stupid expensive compared to american prices it was worth it.

>> No.2340817

>>2340795
>Till this day in my country -Chile- theres stores who install modchips to play burned games.
>I got my PS2 chipped from a legit electronic store, although stupid expensive compared to american prices it was worth it.
I got my PSX chipped when I was living in Mexico and would buy pirated games for $5-10USD, all from a legit electronics store as well. That went a long way towards getting me into JRPGs and other weird import shit I wouldn't have been exposed to at that age otherwise, because oh cool animu guys on this shitty cover and it's only $5.

>> No.2340818

>>2340817
Meant to quote >>2340798 as well, whatever I'm gay.

>> No.2342632
File: 78 KB, 420x563, video_as_dendy_pilot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ok, just ordered a famicom to nes converter so i can start looking for all of these pirated games from hong kong, taiwan, & china.
according to amazon, it should get here either today or tomorrow. more inclined to believe it will get here the day after tomorrow, but i don't mind.
this is going to be quite an adventure

>> No.2342651

>>2340747
7x1