[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 105 KB, 620x434, nid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2336678 No.2336678 [Reply] [Original]

I've played through NiGHTS into Dreams three times and I still don't understand what's going on with most of the gameplay.

>> No.2336697

That's okay, nobody does.
>tfw you try to breed mepians over and over and you're not sure if you're actually getting anywhere then you start a level and notice that the music changed and you know that you accomplished something but you have no idea what and you don't want to load up your save in Christmas Nights to find out because you think it ruins the feeling of experimentation and wonder of A-Life

>> No.2336705 [DELETED] 

>>2336678
collect hoops and gems to increase score before time runs out, do a loop to rack up more points, at the end you're ranked and if you get a C rank or higher in every stage you go to the final stage

the kids are supposed to be random exploration or for checking the mood of the nightopians in the life system thing, you'll need a faq for that

>> No.2336708

but yeah the kids are pointless, don't use them

>> No.2336717

Get the necessary blue orbs, then during "bonus time" do as many laps of the course as you can, doing tricks and getting combos.

>> No.2336745

>>2336678
What you need to understand is that the game is perfect and revolutionary.

You don't have to understand why, just go with whatever everyone else is saying. It's a Sonic Team game after all; you need to be partially autistic to "get" it.

>> No.2336979

get all the blue chips as fast as you can then hit the capsule thing. Then do laps chaining together as much as you can, it's an arcadey hi-score game.
>>2336745
>>>/v/

>> No.2336982

>>2336678
For real.
I've played it a few times, too. I don't understand why people laud this shit as amazing.
I used to have a thing for impenetrable, convoluted shit when I was younger and just seeing a commercial for this made my dick diamonds.
But like.
What the fuck is happenin

>> No.2337000

>>2336982
see:
>>2336717
>>2336979
It's not even difficult.

>> No.2337114
File: 79 KB, 319x400, Talladega NiGHTS into Dreams.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2336678
NiGHTS is NiGHTS. Just play it and have fun.

It's kind of like Carmageddon in a way, which is certainly an odd comparison until you think about it. Carmageddon, like NiGHTS, on the surface, is a racing game. You have a proper course with checkpoints scattered about. If you wish, you can race through the game as fast as you can. It's a perfectly valid way of playing, seeing how fast you can make it. You can do that and call it a day, if you want, but it's certainly not all there is to it.

Both Carmageddon and NiGHTS are cleverly multifaceted. In Carmageddon, actually bothering with the racing at all is very optional. In NiGHTS, you can avoid fusing and just enter a stage for the sole purpose of wandering about in 3D, hatching nightopians, until the night is over and it's time to wake up. In Carmageddon, you can try to run over every civilian or take down the competition instead. In NiGHTS, you can race to deposit 20 orbs and then go score attacking. You can play at a more relaxed pace and soak up the atmosphere. You can try to throw enemies at nightopians. Maybe commit nightopian genocide, or take good care of them, and enjoy the effect it has on the music.

They're both "racing games, except not really". You need to have a certain mindset to enjoy them. It's also an acquired taste. I remember, when I had a Saturn and the NiGHTS sampler, I was blown away and played it a bunch. When I got the full game, I was underwhelmed when I discovered I'd already played 1/6th of the game in the demo. It seemed short and easy, getting to the final boss and beating him. But that wasn't really the point. And after not playing for a while, I remembered the music, the levels, just how fun it was to play, whether I was trying to beat my old score or just playing more casual, it had me coming back.

People throw around "perfect game" and "artistic masterpiece" too much, and that can set people up for confusion and disappointment.

So, yeah. NiGHTS is NiGHTS. Do not mind!

>> No.2337212

>>2336678
collect the 20 blue orbs fast as possible and blow up claw capture machine to get a score bonus.

after that try to make your links long as possible while doing tricks to further increase your score. never go back to the gazebo early, spend as much time possible getting points.

>> No.2337414

>>2337114
Thanks for the explanation. I had no interest in the game until I read it.

>> No.2338384

>>2336697
I feel like games lose something when they are formulaic to the point of being able to predict and decipher. It is technically considered "well constructed", but I think there is a charm to feeling like you have no idea how you are progressing or how a system works.

>> No.2338442

>>2336678
Y'know the blue sphere bonus game in Sonic 3 where getting all the outside spheres turns then into rings?
It's that in 3D.

>> No.2338462

>>2336982
>>2336678

I didn't get it when I first bought it. There's a "right" way to play NiGHTS, it's just not immediately obvious:
1. Go to the thing in front of you, turn into jester.
2. Collect 20 blue orbs and bring them to the cage with the big ball as fast as you can (emphasis is on speed). Turn around if you have to.
3. Repeat the level loop as many times as you can (skipping the thing that ends each segment) without running out of time. Then, when you're about to run out of time, go to the next segment.

NiGHTs is quite a bit about getting high scores and the only way to get anything resembling a high score is to play the game the way I just outlined. It is very, very satisfying once you start getting comfortable with the loops, though. It's a fairly tough game to maintain a good combo in so getting and maintaining a good line is important.

>> No.2338472

At the risk of veering off into non /vr/ territory, why is the NiGHTS sequel on Wii disliked? I want a fair opinion from enthusiasts of the game before I buy it.

>> No.2338474

>>2336678
We need a nights 3.

>> No.2338482

>>2338472
Because it's full of boring Wii shit that's not flying around collecting blue chips, the one thing people wanted in a NiGHTS game.

>> No.2338490

>>2338482

You can control Nights with a Gamecube controller, using the mote isn't necessary.

>>2338472

Mostly people complained that not all the levels were score attack/loop based (although the game DOES have many of these, too, but for the sake of making the game longer, it included other levels, which included gimmicky gameplay, similar to the boss fights in the first Nights so nothing really new.)
Many people were also bothered by the fact that Nights is now voiced (I think it was accordingly voiced, but then again maybe it was better just as a silent character) and a more dramatic plot, still very similar to the first game's premise though. Reala is also in the game.

I didn't like it as much as the original, but I still thought it was a good effort. I'd rather have a Nights sequel than no sequel at all.

>>2338474

It was mentioned in the previous Nights thread already, Yuji Naka's new game "Rodea The Sky Soldier" has a lot of similarities with Nights.

>> No.2338493

>>2338442
More like that as a 2d sidescroller instead of isometric running, in a 3d landscape.

>> No.2338516

>>2338472
Personally, the stupid Sonic Adventure-esque story. The original NiGHTS had an interesting non-intrusive story with no dialogue, but in the sequel they really Sonic Team'd it up.

>> No.2338649
File: 58 KB, 740x416, VISITOR!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2338472
It actually has it's moments. It's just, 80% of the game is unentertaining filler. Get past that and replay the fun levels and you have a good game. Pretty much the same situation as Sonic Unleashed.

It really is worth playing, but only if you can put up with the bad parts of it. Not exactly an easy game to recommend, but certainly worth looking into if you've played the original to death.

>> No.2338797
File: 97 KB, 400x450, 1426509209658.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2338472
the original saturn gameplay is only a small part of levels in the sequel, and even then the level design for them is disappointing. i guess they thought having the classic gameplay would have made the game too short, so they have you doing random missions instead for filler.

I'm not the type of guy who was bothered by story/voices/hub world. I just wanted a saturn gameplay sequel and was disappointed.

>> No.2338978

If you want some more nights style gameplay, the special stages of SRB2 are just that

>> No.2339303

>>2338490
>Yuji Naka's new game "Rodea The Sky Soldier" has a lot of similarities with Nights.
Isn't this vaporware?

>> No.2339338

>>2339303
>>2338490

Rodea is awful sonic adventure reskin

>> No.2339451

>>2339303

It came out in Japan recently and is coming to america and europe in september.

>>2339338

is it? from what I've seen it looks a lot more like Nights mixed with Sin and Punishment.

>> No.2341203

lol op gg

>> No.2341817

>>2339338
It looks decent enough.
If anything, most of Naka's games are flawed, but fun; so if rodea follows that I wouldn't mind.