[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1023 KB, 960x1607, 1427416491694.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2322965 No.2322965 [Reply] [Original]

So game gear and master system didn't get many good games?

>> No.2322985

>>2322965
>by /vr/
>missing half the text
>doesn't contain any of the games most /vr/igga's talk about for those platforms.

First off, where did you get the shitty infographic?

>> No.2322995

>>2322965
The Nintendo Master System bombed upon its release in 1994, while the Sega Playstation and NEC PC98 dominated the home console market in Rhodesia until 2004. Almost ten years after the Master System was released.

>> No.2322997 [DELETED] 

>>2322965
No good games? Shinobi, Outrun, Space Harrier, Rygar, Phantasy Star, Forgotten Worlds, Ninja Gaiden, Psycho Fox, Dynamite Heady, Rastan, Wonder Boy series, Golden Axe...

Not as huge as the NES library, but much more consistent, quality-wise.

>> No.2323005

>>2322997
YOU FORGOT CHOPLIFTER! YOU GO TO HELL!

>> No.2323056

>>2322985
From /vr/.

>> No.2323058
File: 123 KB, 415x700, Shining Force CD (U) (Front).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The only Shining Force Gaiden game to made it to English

Uh

>> No.2323148

This was a template gfx test. It's not an infographic.

>> No.2323149

>>2322997
>A bunch of sub-par ports
I'll give you Phantasy Star and the Wonder Boy games.

>> No.2323186

>>2323058
>Final Conflict will never be included in this

Feels really bad man.

>> No.2323380

>>2323186
At least they gave us extra chapters.

>> No.2324710

>>2323149
So that about it?

>> No.2324739

>>2322965
>implying triple trouble was playable

>> No.2324748

>>2324739
Sure was. Had a lot of fun clearing it back then.

>> No.2325750

Until Magical School Lunar gets translated, Lunar: Walking School's a neat Game Gear JRPG to play.

>> No.2326215

Did gamegear ever get a batterypack?

>> No.2326241

My personal favorites are
Defender's of Oasis (RPG with middle eastern setting)
Shinobi 1 and 2 ( great ninja action)
crystal warriors (simple but fun strategy game)
Shining force
Then of course, if you have adapter you can play sms games too.

>> No.2326247
File: 71 KB, 584x483, 1394320522089.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This shit again, for fuck's sake.
For the last time, I did that image a long time ago as a design template, as some guy in /vr/ was working on the games to put there and when he completed it I would apply it to that template, but the guy never delivered, so that's obviously incomplete. It's not even incomplete, it was just never started, those are obviously just placeholder to illustrate the design.
Why would anyone keep saving this.

>tl;dr i made it as a design template, it's just placeholder faggots

>> No.2326254

>>2326241
I never understood why there's a Master System to Game Gear adapter and not the other way around.

>> No.2326279

>>2326254
I think the adapter came out after Sega was focusing on the mega drive. That and also GG don't look very good on a big screen.

>> No.2326281

>>2326247
Maybe you should make a complete version if you don't want to see the incomplete version anymore.

>> No.2326295
File: 5 KB, 186x186, 1389802534055.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2326281
I'm just a designfag, I know little to nothing about the Game Gear. I know a bit about the Master System, but I'm completely blindsided by the Japanese exclusives.
Besides I already did a few lists myself that are in circulation, while passively and slowly working on another one.
I don't mind handling the design and build it in the end, but I need some knowledgeable dudes to set up the games for this.

>> No.2326327

Well here's some lists /vr/. What do you think?

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Master_System

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Gear

>> No.2326339

>>2322965
Is that image some kind of subtle bait.
>No GG Shinobi 1 or 2 on the Game Gear side
>No Shinobi World on the Master System

>> No.2326351

>>2326339
See >>2326247

>> No.2326360

>>2326295
Then what are you doing on /vr/? Holy shit. Why don't you pick up a trip already so I can filter your clueless ass?

>> No.2326363

>>2326360
>try to make something and help faggots out
>holy shit get out of /vr/ the worst of scum
Sure I'm a horrible person.

>> No.2326368

It was a wondrous system that far surpassed the NES in every aspect possible. To name three outstanding games off my head, I'd say Sonic 1, Phantasy Star and R-Type. It has a huge game library yet it is neglected and shadowed by a clearly inferior system - the NES. SEGA DOES WHAT NINTENDON'T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7BgS78b4t0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUZZXGbipc

>> No.2326464

>>2326368
>It was a wondrous system that far surpassed the NES in every aspect possible
Show me some cool licensed games from Konami and Capcom made for the SMS and then we will talk, anon.

>> No.2327163

>>2326368
>that far surpassed the NES in every aspect possible.
Man I love my master system, i grew up with her and wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. But that is just ridiculous hyperbole.

>> No.2327173

>>2327163
Not the same guy, but if we strictly talk hardware, the only two things the NES beats the Master System on is sound and having a pause button on the controller. The Master System had far superior graphics.

I'll be honest and say I haven't played much of the NES or the SMS, but I can honestly think of more games I'm interested in playing for the SMS than the NES. Apart from the Mario series and a couple RPGs like Mother and things like that, I feel like most of the games people talk about on the NES, like Zelda and Metroid, are really overrated. But that's probably just me not knowing what the good games on the NES are.

>> No.2327185 [DELETED] 

>>2327173
Obviously the Master System is a way more powerful machine, but yeah that sound chip... Very few composers actually know how to use it right, it just sounds really jarring and piercing in most games. The Japanese Yamaha FM synth counterpart is pretty good though, if only we could have it here in the west.
I think both consoles have great games that can easily compete with each other, but the NES ends up winning in quantity. Just the amount of good games in the Famicom that never made it over is absolutely overwhelming, you can't even quantify that shit, it's just immense.
But then again, if you pick the best games from the NES and Master System and have them go toe to toe in comparison I think they both compete pretty well with each other, I just think that the NES just ends up winning with its gigantic library (which to be fair it's mostly shovelware licensed shit, but if you can navigate through the trash you'll find a lot of great stuff).
Not having a pause button in the controller though can't be understated how a big deal that shit is, a lot of games had to compromise and bind the items menu to the B button, leaving the game with only one action. Not only that, the not only has a start button, but an additional select button as well.
Again, I love my Master System, but it's pretty hard to argue that it didn't have a few inherent problems.

>> No.2327187

>>2327173
Obviously the Master System is a way more powerful machine, but yeah that sound chip... Very few composers actually know how to use it right, it just sounds really jarring and piercing in most games. The Japanese Yamaha FM synth counterpart is pretty good though, if only we could have it here in the west.
I think both consoles have great games that can easily compete with each other, but the NES ends up winning in quantity. Just the amount of good games in the Famicom that never made it over is absolutely overwhelming, you can't even quantify that shit, it's just immense.
But then again, if you pick the best games from the NES and Master System and have them go toe to toe in comparison I think they both compete pretty well with each other, I just think that the NES just ends up winning with its gigantic library (which to be fair it's mostly shovelware licensed shit, but if you can navigate through the trash you'll find a lot of great stuff).
Not having a pause button in the controller though can't be understated how a big deal that shit is, a lot of games had to compromise and bind the items menu to the B button, leaving the game with only one action. Not only that, the NES not only has a start button, but an additional select button as well.
Again, I love my Master System, but it's pretty hard to argue that it didn't have a few inherent problems.

>> No.2327193

>>2327187
Fair enough. Come to think of it, my favourite games on the NES/Famicom are Nuts & Milk and Battle City, both of which were only on the Famicom. Perhaps I should look into more arcadey Japanese exclusives for the console. But anyway, all this NES talk is quite off-topic.

One of my favourite things about the Master System is that almost all of the best games on the system are dirt cheap, at least they are here, in Europe.

>> No.2327196

>>2327193
Some are, some aren't, Power Strike II, Phantasy Star and the Wonder Boy games are still a huge bitch.
But overall yeah you're right, never really thought about that.

Also
>Battle City, both of which were only on the Famicom
Luckily though that's one of those games that was bootlegged into oblivion, every kid back then played that shit in famiclones in those 300-IN-1 packs.

>> No.2327217

>>2326241
>Defender's of Oasis
>half the enemies can one-shot you with bullshit one-hit KOs
>random attack order in battles
>encounter rate that can throw you into another random battle before you can even move
>the Genie becomes butter smooth the more you go into the game and becomes basically oneshottable by trash in the end - to top it off he's not grindable
No sir, I didn't enjoy it.

>> No.2328279

>>2326363
It was a good design.