[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 103 KB, 590x814, fzerobox4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2316140 No.2316140 [Reply] [Original]

How do I win F-Zero? Expert is kicking my ass.

>> No.2316149

Two words: Astro Robin.

>> No.2316163

>>2316149
>D boost
Is boost not important? I've been using Queen Meteor for the B boost and and B grip.

>> No.2316170

I honestly don't know, but you may suffer from the same general lack of mental/visual fortitude that I do.

For me, any game where shit starts moving super-fast on the screen is ultimately just a frustrating waste of time. My eyes and brain simply do not process the information in real time as fast as it is being presented to me via the screen and I end up more or less just being confused by what I'm seeing.

Most often my first insight into this phenomena is the fact that I'm no longer certain exactly where my character/car/avatar is in realtion to the opposition/track/etc anymore.

Obviously I prefer slower, strategic games as a result of this, but I'm still surprisingly good at certain fast-paced, mindless games, provided that there isn't too much going on in the background or too many things on screen simultaneously to distract me. And sometimes I can instantly ground my bearings with a glance at the mini-map, too.

All that having been said, nah, I cannot play F-Zero X in expert for shit. Playing it with the volume muted helps a little though.

Hooray for being an out-dated model of humanity?

>> No.2316171

>>2316163
I guess it all comes down to personal playstyle, but I prefer craft with A grip, and there's something I can't explain about the Astro Robin in FZX that gives it a bit of an edge over the other A-grip craft.

>> No.2316291

I always picked heavy cars and used the shoulder ram to cheat corners

Works like a charm

Also X cup rules, roguelike racing

>> No.2316457

Use blood falcon set to max accelleration and slide everywhere you go. When you can't slide, slide into the rail. Boosting while sliding is OP.

>> No.2316640

Get 6th or 5th place and spin attack the cars behind you on go.

>> No.2316661

Use a car with a good boost, and the single most important thing is to kill the rival car whenever possible. Never use the joystick to make a sharp turn. Always use your side attack to do so, multiple ones if you need to. The CPU rubberbands like crazy, so if you're about to get a finish where they win, consider restarting, then trying to destroy five other cars to earn an extra life.

Master mode is even worse, but the strategy is the same. I have finished all cups on Master, but it was an effort. And I still can't beat Expert or Master on the SNES F-Zero.

>> No.2318382

Winning the grand prix's also heavily depends on wrecking rivals. I sometimes won a Cup without even being top 3 at any race. Just have an eye on your rivals, get familiar with the spin attack and wreck them.

>> No.2318720

>>2316140
I thought this game was hard until I realized you could use side attacks to make very sharp turns at very high speeds. Then Master became easy.
Also, your acceleration/speed should be a couple notches below max speed.

>> No.2321035
File: 2.43 MB, 270x270, wcfjD68.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316140
>Nintendo racing game
>Expert
>Wnning?

Is it even possible? I mean with all the atrocious rubber banding.

>You've got Bewst POWAH!
>Boostan and doing 3,000+
>Half the track course away from rival.
>See another dot quickly approach my marker on the mini map
>Rival is neck to neck with me and he is not using boost.

And this is on normal and easy mode. Why even bother with expert?