[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 550x380, saturn_us.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2316026 No.2316026 [Reply] [Original]

For people who owned a Sega Saturn and one of the other consoles during the time this generation was actively on the market (meaning not people who have gone back to purchase them a decade later) what are you feelings on the system then vs now?

I was lucky enough to own a Saturn, PS1 and N64 all within weeks of their original launch. At the time I personally loved the Saturn but felt it got screwed in the U.S., which it did, but still defended it as being a better console than the N64. At that time I would have rated the systems PS1>Saturn>N64. PS1
s U.S. game library just made it objectively better. In terms of actual play time I likely played my Saturn as much if not slightly more than the PS1.

However, in 2015 I legitimately find the Saturn to be the more fun system to own and the better "classic" console for a few reasons:

1. Most 3D games have aged terribly and the Saturn did 2D games the best.

2. A huge number of Saturn games have never been ported where as most hit games on the PS1 and N64 have been rehashed in some form.

3. Huge import library of relatively cheap exclusives.

As a result I find my Saturn hooked up and getting play to this day where as I haven't touched my N64 nor original PS1 in years.

So is the Saturn the greatest "classic" console of that generation even if it wasn't the best console when it was active on the market?

>> No.2316032

>>2316026
>So is the Saturn the greatest "classic" console of that generation even if it wasn't the best console when it was active on the market?
But it was.

>> No.2316036

n64 ps1 were going for innovations with 3d

Saturn does indeed have great 2d games
took a long time to appreciate it though because at the time of its release I guess I was looking forward to this new terrority n64 and ps1 were covering

>> No.2316041

>>2316032

Let's not be delusional. While the Saturn had some great games, half its library is stuck in Japan and the system architecture is a complete mess. Then there's Sega's caginess about supporting their own damn product stateside, courtesy of that kike Bernie Stolar.

It had problems, but could have been so much more.

>> No.2316046 [DELETED] 

>>2316026
Real /vr/ knows there aren't any "worst" consoles, just good games and bad games.

>> No.2316049

I still think both the PS1 and N64 are great systems.

PS1 is still the best of the two just by it's library alone, although the N64 has some great exclusives that I think make it worth owning even today.

>> No.2316056

PS1 was the best, and it's the one I owned as a kid. I basically never even heard of the Saturn, outside of playing Bug! at a friends house when I was like 10.

The N64 was what I was a little jealous of, a friend owned one and we'd play Pokemon Stadium and Turok.

These days, I'd still stick to the PS1>Saturn>N64 ranking. While the Saturn was very good, the PS1 has the advantage, there are so many good PS1 title exclusives. Maybe if I was really into Radiant Silvergun.

Games like Kula World, Vib Ribbon, IQ, LSD, Devil Dice, Wipeout, MGS, and Rollcage just offered experiences that were unparalleled at the time, and half of them aren't even rivalled today.

>> No.2316058

>>2316041

Not everyone is American

>> No.2316062

I would agree that the Saturn is the best overall console for gaming of that generation but even the best Saturn game isn't better than the best PS1 or 64 game. It needed a console seller(FF7, MGS, OoT etc.) that appealed to the masses and the best they had was Vitua Fighter 2.

>> No.2316071

>>2316036
Funny thing is that today the Saturn has arguably one of the best displays of 3D of that generation in regards to what doesn't look like complete dog shit in 2015. That game being Virtua Fighter 2. The reason is that it runs at 708x480 resolution at a nearly solid 60fps. Almost all of the notable PS1 and N64 games were running at 320x240 (or less) with horrendously inconsistent frame rates. From an objective standpoint there are some wonderful graphic tricks going on in PS1 and N64 games that the Saturn had trouble replicating but in 2015 most of those games just look like ass. Play Virtua Fighter 2 for 30 minutes and then switch over to one of your PS1 or N64 favorites and it is usually quite jarring how bad they now look in actual motion.

>> No.2316082

>>2316041
Stuck in Japan? Ever heard of ebay?

>> No.2316089

>>2316071
granted I didnt have a saturn but I agree with >>2316062

nothing ever sold me on it
Its only been in hindsight that the system has a lot of games, mostly the arcade ports, I'd like to play
But during that time it was nothing new and quite niche unlike the 3d games coming for n64 and ps1

>> No.2316091 [DELETED] 
File: 58 KB, 640x480, Virtua-Fighter-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316071
VF2 may run at a higher FPS, but its character models don't look as good as Tekken 3 on the PS1.

>> No.2316094

>>2316058

Americans don't understand this

>> No.2316101

>>2316082
Ebay is overpriced as fuck. Use one of the proxy shipping sites in tandem with amazon.co.jp, suruga-ya or yahoo auctions.

>> No.2316107

>>2316091
vf2 was also higher resolution, which explains why it seemed to look better

>> No.2316119

>>2316091
You're comparing a game released in 1995 to a game released in 1998 and even after years of extra development time on a much easier to program for console designed for 3D could still only finally push 60fps (Tekken 1 and 2 were 30fps) with the resolution turned down to 384x480. That said yes Tekken 3 looks great but IMO Virtua Fighter 2 is still a more impressive 3D relative to the time.

>> No.2316146

Few people had a Saturn.

>> No.2316147

>>2316071
>>2316119
Tekken 1, 2 and 3 were 60fps. Tekken 3's framerate dropped when there were some effects, like electricity together with fire (each one on its own didn't cause frame drops).

>> No.2316156

>>2316071
The PS1 had quite a lot of 60fps games, you just probably never saw them. Omega Boost for example, looks like an early PS2 game.

Other examples:
Dead or Alive
Tobal (1 and 2)
Bloody Roar (1 and 2)
Toshinden 3 (60fps mode)
Dynasty Warriors (yes, the first one)
Ergheiz
G-Darius
Einhander
Mortal Kombat 4
Kula World
Micro Machines
Rascal
Rival Schools (1 and 2)
Street Fighter EX (plus alpha and 2)
Tomba!

>> No.2316207

PS1 is my favorite console to this day. Nothing had as many RPGs as that system did. PS2 had a lot, but I didn't care for what became of the jRPG by that time.

A lot of games haven't aged well, or look great even to this day.

Also: Saturn fanboys are butthurt beyond all reasonable expectations over, what? Virtua Fighter? Tekken? Get a fucking grip.

>> No.2316216

I was also an idort and got all 3 systems the same year. In fact, I got a 3DO the same year, too. PS1 and N64 were acquired one week from each other. I got 3DO first, then PS1, N64 and finally Saturn (it wasn't easy to find where I lived).

I actually used the Saturn quite a lot the first years, N64 too. PS1 was the console I used the least up until 1998 or so. Then finding Saturn games became harder, plus it was hard to find games in the first place. Also my Saturn wasn't chipped, so I had to rely on originals, while my PS1 could read copies.
Around the time MGS came out, I was using the PS1 more, and the poor Saturn was kinda left behind, but I still booted it up from time to time to play some Virtua Fighter 2, street fighter alpha 2, and what not.

My Saturn started getting love again around 2008-ish when I got the action replay cart and started importing JP games. I also modded my n64 so it could play JP games, and started importing too. My old PS1 got its lens busted, but I have a chipped PS2 now to play PS1 games.

Right now, I have the Saturn and N64 hooked up, I play both at least once a week for sure. It also helps that emulation for both suck, so I can't ever think of getting rid of them. For PS1, I either use the PS2 or PSP.

I don't know which is the most "fun" system out of the three, I think they all have their great games, and they're very different from each other (with the exception of the arcade ports of fighting games, etc which are better on Saturn than on PS1).

>> No.2316217 [DELETED] 

>>2316207
>butthurt beyond all reasonable expectation
That's not happening ITT, Anon-kun.

>> No.2316224

I only had an N64 at the time, which I loved.

But now I'm an adult with access to ebay and imports and plenty of money to blow on games, I like the Saturn best with the PlayStation in second. The N64 would be a distant third for me but it still has some great games.

>> No.2316228
File: 107 KB, 500x500, 36483732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316207
Who's butthurt? Seems like your projecting your own fanboyish frustrations onto the rest of us.

>> No.2316229

>>2316217

I'm talking about the guy screaming about VF2 >>2316071 here

>> No.2316279
File: 210 KB, 468x347, what's_going_on_here.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I owned an N64 only. Some friends had a PS1. No one I knew had a Saturn and I was completely unaware of it's existence. Thought the genesis was the competition. However, I didn't own a console until the end of the generation due to my family being poorfags.

I thought the N64 was the best choice of that generation, and it depends on what you're looking for if you're looking to play games now. I will largely omit specific titles as these generally boil down to subjective views.

>Multiplayer
The N64, in my opinion, is the best multiplayer console that existed. And that's the thing, I would say I primarily played games with friends rather than alone which I feel is a strong point to specify when comparing it to the PS1. Sorry Saturn. I don't really know all that much about you. I feel it's almost redundant to describe the N64's multiplayer experience, but I'll try to sum it up. Four controllers were obviously very important to its success, and the fact that it was as popular it was, at least in my experience. Having a game that was very easy to transport without the consideration of damage and having your save data on the game itself made it very easy to bring a game over to a friend's house and just play it without problems. This way, you could easily pick up a new game without having to start from scratch without unlockables and such. (Yes, you could just bring your memory card but this is more convenient and you're unable to forget to bring your save data.) I would say some games, such as Perfect Dark, were ahead of their time, however time has shown that games still do not compare. All in all, the N64's strong point was its multiplayer.

>Continuing...

>> No.2316302

There's no possible way you could consider the PS1 as anything but the clear winner. While it had a lot of crappy early 3D titles, when they started getting them right later on, they blew the other 2 out of the water.

>> No.2316303

>>2316026
I had a PlayStation and never really regretted it. I had one friend with a Saturn and really enjoyed Bomberman on it though. I was somewhat jealous of my N64 owning friends when the big exclusives would come out.

>> No.2316314

>>2316279

>Single player
Despite the large emphasis on multiplayer for the N64, there were some strong single player titles as well. Many games had focused on multiplayer, leaving single player to be less enjoyable while some others had focused on single player and left a bland, uninteresting multiplayer. Some games, notably Rare games, managed both. Regardless, the N64 had some quality titles that could be thoroughly enjoyed in single player. Without bringing up specific games, there's not much to say, except the N64 had a distinct lack of certain genres.

>Genres
As far as I'm concerned, the N64 lacked some notable genres. Primarily there was FPS games, enough TPS games, some racers (kart or not), 3D platformers, a handful of action adventure games, and then party games. The most notably lacking genres are RPGs, SHMUPs, and perhaps fighting games. The fact you can practically name all the games on those first two genres by counting on your fingers is a problem. Luckily, I was never too interested in RPGs and only enjoy ones that really stand out as doing something different, so I don't feel as I'm missing out too much. SHMUPs would be nice, but I don't feel arcade titles are as engrossing as other genres. While it's one thing to continually replay a game to reach the end and reach higher scores, it's another to complete a story. In retrospect, there is a fair number of fighting games for the N64 but perhaps my group of friends never owned them. I had felt that the N64 being a 6-button controller was underutilized for it's full potential.

>> No.2316326
File: 794 KB, 705x497, Emperor Justinian.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316082

I've heard of ebay just fine, thank you. What I don't have is an informal degree in moonrunes.

>>2316094

I understand it just fine, you pompous asshole. I'm speaking strictly from an American perspective because that's where I _live_, I don't have some weird little Walter Mitty alt life where I get to live in a completely different part of the world solely of my own choosing (if I did, you can rest assured I'd be somewhere in Europe right now instead of this New World sinking ship). Honestly you sound like the same fuck from yesterday that was about to have a goddamn fit because people wouldn't use exclusively metric in the CRT thread.

>> No.2316332

>>2316314
What were the N64's 2D capabilities like? Maybe that's the reason it never got any sprite-based fighting games? It's a shame too because that's a genre that would have really benefited from lightning fast cartridge load times.

>> No.2316363

>>2316314

>Controller
While the controller wasn't necessarily bad, it certainly wasn't good. Let's get the bad points out of the way first. The shotty build quality of the control stick is a huge issue. It is notious for being worn out, as well as wearing our your hands. There was clearly not enough extensive testing done or they simply let it slide. The next is the design. Yes, the three handles worked well for what they did, but there's no reason they should have limited developers, as well as players, from using one third of the controller at any given time. Having to take your whole hand off the controller to press the L button for instance was very inconvenient, although rarely necessary. Other designs, more similar to the Hori pad or the Dreamcast should have been considered. Regardless, the Z button feels more satisfying than any shoulder button in my opinion and the analog stick feels very precise, especially for movement. The C-buttons were rarely used for the camera and often not all of them were used as much as they could have. For movement, they worked well enough. For items, they were hit or miss. In titles such as OoT, they worked well, allowing you to quickly switch between items but in titles such as DK64 they felt more like a means to an end and were largely unintuitive. While the D-pad was available, it was often only used as an alternative to another, more commonly used control scheme and added very little. Most games that used the D-pad specifically had no little reason to use the D-pad specifically.

>> No.2316371

>>2316363

>Final thoughts
The expansion pak should be noted. While I'm not one to say extras that are added to the console itself are a good thing, I feel the expansion pak was handled as well as it could. It was unnecessary for many games and improved some games which did not require it. While some games did in fact require it, at least it served a purpose for those that didn't. There are less titles available for the N64 than the competitors, however I feel it is very rare that you pick up a random title for the N64 and are truly disappointed. There is a severe lack of shovelware as compared to other consoles to my knowledge. I don't mind this as it's easy to pick up any old title you've never heard of and still enjoy it. Others may feel it's limiting but I have one never found the N64 lacking of games. I didn't own any Mario games growing up, and played primarily 3rd party titles so I don't want to hear that it was all first party. Yes, many games were ports/ported but I don't think many of them are notably worse than their counterparts, and some are even the best port. As for the genres, I should have mentioned there was a lack of 2D games in general. While it may not hold up as "the best" (which is a highly subjective matter) today, it still deserves being played for its single player titles even if there's no one to play its multiplayer titles with.

And not that it matters, I personally don't see the appeal of the PS1 very much. While there are many great games for it, there aren't enough that interest me enough want the console. Note: I'm not saying it's a bad or inferior console, just that I don't like it.

>> No.2316381

>>2316026
i had a saturn and n64.
saturn especially didn't get enough usa games and the reason i bought it was for a future Sonic title, so yeah I was pretty disappointed. I spent most of the time on the console with NiGHTS and Fighters Megamix. huge NiGHTS fan now.

n64 stood out by having some great multiplayer games. spent an unholy amount of time with perfect dark 64, flying dragon 64 and smash 64. later in it's life I realized the problems nintendo were starting to have, and they were never going to hit the snes era again.

ps1 didn't appeal to me at all thanks to being "new" and not sega/nintendo. EVERYONE had a ps1, but it seemed like the poorfag console. however in the end ps1 completely stomped the competition unless you wanted multiplayer (n64). playing spyro in a store eventually woke me up from my fanboy years.

ps1 > n64 > saturn

>> No.2316405

>>2316332

From what I know, the N64 was on average as good as the PSX (which actually had a rather inefficient method for doing purely 2D stuff in addition to a weak CPU). It _could_ have been markedly better, but then you run into the problem that overshadowed the whole damn system; it's difficult to program for like the Saturn, and Nintendo often wasn't very cooperative on dev-related problems and questions. One thing to note about the PSX is that Sony was constantly looking over their shoulders in horrified fascination at the Saturn as they finalized the console design. They were keenly aware of its struggle to be a true 3D game console instead of just a really kickass 2D+extensions machine. I think it would be fair to say they took this little tableau as a parable of sorts; better to have a machine that gets 3D right but maybe doesn't do quite as well on the 2D than end up like the Saturn.

>> No.2316414

I had a cousin who lived with us for a few months that had an N64. And lots of friends with PS1's.
I had a GBC and Red version, so I'd play Pokemon Colosseum anytime I went to a friends house who had it. And I specifically remember playing Yoshi's Story and Goldeneye on my cousins console almost daily.
Now that I've got an N64, I think its shittiest system I own. I hate the controller, the library is tiny, all the good games are $20-30+, anything that's multiplat is better on other systems, I prefer the graphics of PS1 and 98 games over the N64, and to top it off, Yoshi's Story is way too easy and not at all like I remember.

I didn't know about the existence of the saturn at the time. I vaguely knew of its name, but for the longest time I got it confused with the Sega-CD, since I'd never seen one of those in person either. I saw the games in my local video rental shop, but never the system itself. However despite never seeing it, I had made up an image in my mind of it that was fairly close to what it actually looks like. (The Sega-CD I imagined as close to the shape of the proposed Neptune)
But now that I have one, I think its amazing. I'm legitimately impressed by how smooth the framerate is on Virtua Fighter, and the Saturn's controllers are seriously the best out of the /vr/ lineup. I just wish it was easier and cheaper to find games.

All of the people I knew who owned a PS1 were either Mexicans or lived in a trailer park. Except for one kid, but his dog pooped on it once while I was at his house. So I thought it was what poor people bought.
Today, I enjoy a lot of games that are on the PS1, however if its available on PC, I'll go for that version instead. It's just that I haven't owned any sony consoles until about two years ago when I started collecting. I'm so used to the xbox controller layout that the dualshock feels like a step backwards to me.

Then:
N64>PS1
Now:
Saturn>PS1>N64

>> No.2316416 [DELETED] 

Holy shit, did this thread just become a pasta dump?

>> No.2316418

I thought the Saturn was a piece of shit, only good games were Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Cop, was happy to sell the thing off and get an N64.

I still don't see Saturn as a particularly good system.

>> No.2316428

>>2316418
I feel like the Saturn appealed to an older demographic that were knowledgable of the good stuff and also into the import scene. There was very little for it that appealed to my 11 year old self outside of the arcade ports.

>> No.2316447

I had a Playstation myself, and a few friends had a N64. I never saw the Saturn other than in stores.

The Saturn was my first taste of 3D, with NiGHTS and Daytona. It also left me very confused. Everything was fast and I had no idea were to go. Entering the pit in Daytona by accident was mesmerizing.

But everyone I know, as well as myself, didn't care much as we were still having a hell lot of fun with the previous generation and never even considered upgrading at this point.

I got a PS1 years later, in a pack including two Dualshock controllers. Still have it. I was at first really impressed by the console overall and enjoyed its games a lot, and spent hours in demo disks (Medievil, IQ, etc). But as time went by, it just seemed that they were sometimes trying too hard and neglecting the actual fun part of games. I remember having a lot of expectations for "No Fear Downhill Mountain Bike Racing", only to finally get my hands on a stuttering blurry mess that I simply didn't enjoy that much because of its technical issues when it was trying its best to be realistic.

At that point, I actually got back to playing my Genesis. There were a lot of games I didn't experience, and Sonic 3 blew me away. It was bright, smooth, with good music and overall fun to play. It didn't feel like a step back.

I didn't enjoy playing the N64 at all. I couldn't tell whether the games were good or not, all I knew is that each time I tried it was giving me serious headaches (I also get seasick in FPS games with view bobbing). It took me a while before actually trying it, the first game I actually completed was Majora's Mask using an emulator (in the mid 2000s) and I didn't feel weird at all this time. I still attribute that to the very poor video capabilities of the console - low FPS and a very blurry output made for a bad combination. I felt weird just like it was the case with low framerate PS1 titles, except the latter didn't ultimately induce headaches.

>> No.2316448

>>2316026
Ok, so for those who weren't alive back then, here is the skinny:

The Saturn was released with no prior knowledge, not even most retailers knew, they just got the system in shipments one day. In my area, I don't think anyone bought a Saturn, even my hardcore Sega friend.

The N64 was FUCKING HYPE AS SHIT. Anyone who was into games back then, reading mags and seeing all the progress on the N64, it was amazing. Then we had that delay and the system was released in Sept 1996. SM64 was just incredible, you can easily see the love put into it and the demo that was in EB Games was always being played before the system came out.

The Playstation was something interesting, It was a company that was into putting out Walkman's and TV's, not game consoles. Look at other companies like Phillips and Panasonic, same deal as Sony and look at how their consoles did. I thought it was a risky venture for them considering what had happened already, but by 97 the PS1 shot up the charts. When it was released though, I only knew people that had sports games and 1st party titles like Battle Arena Toshinden. We did luckily get stuff like RE, Crash and others until FF7 hit and the system took off like crazy.

At release i'd say the line was like this:
N64>PS1>SAT

But obviously at the end of their life cycles:
PS1>N64>SAT

I don't hate the SAT at all, but it just wasn't ever talked about with anyone I knew, it was always N64 or PS1. I am lucky though to have gotten enough SAT stuff in the late 90's and early 00's because that stuff has only gone up in price.

Even now, in 8th gen, I think PS4 will be the winner despite the fact that I like the PS4 and Wii U right now. X1 has yet to show anything unique or interesting to grab my interest.

>> No.2316461

>>2316026
My first game system was a ps1 and my first game was Spyro the Dragon. It might be the nostalgia goggles, but it's still one of my favourite games and I definitely play it more than anything else besides Dark Souls 2.

My cousin had an N64 and I was sort of jealous of games like Golden Eye and Mario, but looking back, I don't think it's worth my time now. It might have been the fuzz filtering, or that Nintendo has been great at updating their franchises, but nothing on the N64 interests me anymore.

I knew almost nothing about the Saturn when it was new. The only game I knew about was Nights, and I thought the whole thing was just another upgrade for the Genesis. I had friends that still had Genesis', and we kept playing Sonic 2 and MK3 up until the Dreamcast came out which blew us all away.

>> No.2316462

>>2316448
>The Saturn was released with no prior knowledge, not even most retailers knew

The first in a long line of mind-bogglingly dumb moves from Sega regarding the Saturn in North America.

>> No.2316465

>>2316314
>The most notably lacking genres are RPGs
your DAMN right the N64 was lacking RPG's
it had like 3-5 of them. had more fighters and probably more shmups too, but i can only think of like 3-4 maybe.

the fucking left d-pad was useless and while i didn't mind the 3 claw grip style, you were either using the stick or the d-pad, but 99% of the time the stick.

>> No.2316471

>>2316447

Nah, the reason you likely didn't get sick while emulating is that neither mupen64 or PJ64 output like a real N64 at all. It's one of their Achilles heels, as far as accuracy goes (great for the upscaling and non-native resolution crowd, though).

>> No.2316472

>>2316465
The lack of RPGs really hurt the N64 especially given the surge in popularity of JRPGs in the west following the release of FFVII.

>> No.2316473

>>2316462
funny thing is:
i forgot to mention before, they announced it was available AT FUCKING E3 THAT FUCKING DAY!

so yeah, that day of the conference, you could walk into a game store and buy the latest sega system! oh wait! HOW WILL ANYONE ELSE KNOW THIS SHIT, ITS INTERNET 1.0!!!

I didn't know that Saturn was a thing until I got my game mag the NEXT MONTH

>> No.2316475

>>2316472
its first RPG was quest 64 and then NOTHING until OOT came out. not another real RPG I think until PM 64 from Q 64.

I remember before FF7 was for PS1, I had a pre order for Final Fantasy 7 on the 64 at my EB Games. really fucking wish I kept the receipt because no one fucking believes me that it was a thing.

>> No.2316490 [DELETED] 

Back then I thought the N64 only had a few mediocre collectathons that were vastly overhyped because it was all Nintendo fanboys had.

I still think that. Because it's correct.

>> No.2316498

>>2316490
The lack of a well rounded library has plagued Nintendo ever since then. What really sucks is they made a concerted effort to change this with the GameCube and that was largely met with apathy from potential buyers.

>> No.2316503

>>2316026

As a Nintenkid and 64 owner during 5th gen who thought the others sucked I now rate 5th gen:

PS1>Saturn>N64

Mostly due to my tastes shifting over the years and also just discovering the sheer number of PS1 games I missed and the quality of games I missed on Saturn.

Still like the N64 but it has so few games I rank as great, and frankly a pretty small library in general.

>> No.2316504

I guess I'm a bit older than a lot of /vr/, because during the Saturn's lifetime I had a job and a local import shop nearby, so I had access to the Saturn's Japanese library. So for me it was clearly the best of the three. It was great to read about an awesome import in Saturn Magazine and be able to go out and comeback 30 minutes later with a copy of it. I probably had around 200 good to great Saturn games by the time the Dreamcast launched.

All my friends who were hardcore gamers did the same thing, we viewed the PS1 as "the other console" that we played every now and then when something like MGS or Gran Turismo came out. N64 didn't even factor into the equation.

>> No.2316513
File: 161 KB, 565x565, XtqUMm2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I owned all three by '97, my 21st year.

The Sega-CD/32x boondoggle had convinced me I had outgrown video games and the CDi only confirmed it. Then the Playstation made me believe again and I took a job at Babbage's and mall partied my ass off.

THEN:
>Playstation was the savior of video games - inexpensive and accessible - the console everyone played all the time
>N64 was mainly targeted at kids, its library was limited and too expensive but it had GREAT party games
>Saturn was my own personal secret with hardcore arcade ports and the ultimate evolution of old-school style games

TODAY
>Playstation is still one of the greatest consoles ever made with a big enough library to never stop discovering and so much innovation everywhere out of small studios. You can see how it changed the face of gaming and you can even find good concepts that DIDN'T take off. Modern game designers would do well to thoroughly examine the Playstation library
>N64 - Now that hindsight has highlighted the masterpieces for the N64, it's impossible to deny the brilliance of their design. N64 is very specialized console that really only runs one type of game completely opposite of Playstation but those 1st and 2nd party games are amazing and somehow Treasure managed to produce some good games outside the box too. Also, although I thought then and continue to believe Nintendo was stupid and childish to cling to the cartridge, it means that I can keep a fully stocked library of games for emulation on my phone and smart TV without even really needing to take space into consideration.
>Saturn continues to be my secret baby. The games still feel like the ultimate evolution of 20th century game design, while the other two consoles' games were like the very beginning of 21st century design. Also, due to the fact that I was loyal to her and bought Saturn games when everyone was getting rid of them, because I put in the effort to find those late games, Saturn is my most valuable collection.

>> No.2316516

>>2316513
I really want to get a Saturn off of ebay or craiglist or something. Is it worth it?

>> No.2316517

>>2316504
>No mention of the Playstation's Japanese library
Either your import shop sucked or you have faulty memories

>> No.2316521

>>2316326
>What I don't have is an informal degree in moonrunes.

Go and learn then. Learning a language comes all down to memorization, and the more you deal with a language, the better you can memorize things. I never actually bothered to learn Japanese and yet I can read kana fine enough to get by in many games, I can use a IME to input kanji into a dictionary, even finished some RPGs that way (didn't understand the story but could look up all weapon abilities like instakill or elemental affinity and so). Heck, I went as far as looking into game code to potentially build translations.

bottom line is that you only have yourself to blame for not being able to read moonrunes.

>> No.2316523

>>2316516
Yes, but get a modded one or a mod chip. You don't want to start collecting real Saturn games at this point in the game. Get yourself some first party arcade sticks too. They were overproduced and still go for like $20 brand new.

>> No.2316525

>>2316498

Yeah, but that was way too little, way too late. Keep in mind since the days of the original NES devs and publishers alike had been sick of putting up with Nintendo's platform-mandated idiosyncratic policies, which almost always included a subtle dose of xenophobia if you weren't a Japanese dev. While I can't claim to know for certain that Sony was any better in regards to the xenophobia, I do know that they quickly became less restrictive than Nintendo on just what could and couldn't be on their platform (and in what exact manner), preferring instead to leave those kinds of decisions to the publishing houses. Nintendo, by contrast, would still meddle at the drop of hat even in the GCN era. Simply backing off a little and getting with the technological times was never going to be enough; they had to markedly change the way they did things. They didn't and no one ever took them that seriously.

And before you ask, the GCN is the last Nintendo console I actually liked (even the DS gets irritating at times).

>> No.2316535
File: 791 KB, 707x497, Empress Theodora.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316521

Go weeaboo (why yes, I did just use that as a verb, what of it?) at someone else, boyo. You don't know a fucking thing about me or my life.

I really do hope someone smacks you shitless someday.

>> No.2316538

>>2316026
I got a Saturn around 97-98. Didn't really follow the market, got one just for Sonic R, Baku Baku, and then later I got X-Men and VF Kids on it.

Everyone told me to get a Playstation instead because it could be chipped and play backups. Chipping the Saturn was not known at the time, no one had internet around this place.

A year later I finally got a PC, but I still got the Saturn out to play some VF Kids and X-Men. A kid with a N64 (had Goldeneye and Waverace and Doom) saw VF Kids and couldn't believe how good it looked.

Then I finally got some decent games for PC like Command & Conquer, and the Saturn gathered dust for half a decade until I rediscovered it online.

>> No.2316539

>>2316279
>the n64 is the best multiplayer console
Not the same gen but the dreamcast is far better at that.

>> No.2316543

>>2316516
Absolutely. While having the real games is nice, I still definitely second the idea of either using the swap trick, installing a modchip (better), or even getting a Rhea.

>> No.2316545

>>2316525
All sadly true. I remain a fan of Nintendo's games even now but yeah, they've pretty much given up on catering to third party devs and having a balanced selection of genres.

>> No.2316546

>>2316535
>You don't know a fucking thing about me or my life.
Well at least after that little outburst we know you're 14 years old.

>> No.2316553

>>2316538
How can VF Kids look good next to Wave Race??? It wasn't even high-res like VF2.

>> No.2316558

>>2316546

>that little outburst

You're 30-something, are trapped in a job you hate, and think nightly about blowing your brains out to relieve the pointlessness and tedium of it all, don't you?

Don't lie. I can spot faux-maturity speak from a mile away. 28, by the way.

>> No.2316569

>>2316543
>>2316523
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Black-Console-NTSC-/161654605465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a35d8699

Is this a good deal? Its been on here for a few days now. Been considering it.

>> No.2316574 [DELETED] 
File: 1013 KB, 360x270, b11f4faa.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316558
Don't cut yourself on that edge, Anon-kun.

>> No.2316576

>>2316026
I never knew anything much about the Saturn when I was younger. We had the NES, SNES and then PS1. In my country, PS1 was the market leader by a large margin. "Playstation" even basically became the term for a gaming console in general like "Nintendo" had been earlier. (and the term continued with PS2.)

I only discovered Saturn a few years back. Even if I had the Saturn back then, I wouldn't have had access to all the wonderful japanese import games that we never got in europe. Most people selling their Saturn nowadays bundle it with games like Tomb Raider, Duke 3D, Quake and ALWAYS NHL 97. I felt like other consoles (or PC) did early 3D better so if you never played those imports, you only have a vague idea what Saturn is capable of.

>> No.2316578

Then: PSX=N64>Saturn

Now: Saturn>N64>PSX

Most early 3D games really did age like milk, except on the N64.

>except for Toshinden, Tekken and Twisted Metal which I still enjoy

>> No.2316581

>>2316569
Yeah, considering the system by itself will often go for $40, I think its a good deal.
Go for it anon.

>> No.2316592

>>2316578
>Most early 3D games really did age like milk, except on the N64.

Even back then I remember trying to convince myself that Crash Bandicoot was just as good while secretly being super envious of my friends that were enjoying the shit out of Super Mario 64.

>> No.2316650

>>2316592
Crash is a different genre. Nintendo pioneered the 3D collectathon, but Croc 2 is pretty much just as good and on Playstation. The Playstation never got Banjo Tooie level games but with all the other material most of us never missed it.

>>2316578
Both of you were just kids back then and now you're being too edgy. The Playstation still reigns supreme to this day simply on variety/volume alone - but Saturn and N64 are great too albeit the N64 is only great in a relatively limited way.

>> No.2316689

>>2316650
>The Playstation still reigns supreme to this day simply on variety/volume alone
That's true, it has a much greater variety and volume of horrible shovelware.

>> No.2316691

>>2316553
VF Kids was hi-res like VF2. It looked every bit as good as VF2, and it was even a bit faster. The facial animations were also much more notable due to the super deformed heads.

I might be confusing the guy with another one who also had a NTSC N64 (I live in Europe). One of them had Waverace and Doom for sure. The other had at least Goldeneye, but not sure what else.

And note that Waverace was a blurry mess while VF Kids was super sharp.

>> No.2316696

>>2316574

Enjoy your buzzword, shitposter.

>> No.2316702

>>2316535
>You don't know a fucking thing about me or my life.

I'll give you some help: that woe-is-me crap will not get you anywhere. Good things will not come your way, you have to fight tooth and nail to get them. You can't just open your mouth and hope that food will find its way in there. If you want to play Japanese games, you'll have to learn Japanese.

>> No.2316706

>>2316689
5% of N64 games = 20 games
30% of Saturn games = 50 games
10% of Playstation games = over 9000 games

>> No.2316707 [DELETED] 

>>2316535
>boyo. You don't know a fucking thing about me or my life.
>I really do hope someone smacks you shitless someday.
fuckyoumom.jpg

>> No.2316713

>>2316702

I think that's quite a few assumptions there, old boy. Are you sure you aren't just an asshole? Because you're certainly implying enough things to be one. Even Phoenician scribes don't treat that many things as "understood", and they have an alphabet without a single goddamn vowel.

>> No.2316714

>>2316707

>I don't bother to read a whole conversation between people, I just pluck shit out of whole responses and attach memes to it.

Fix'd.

>> No.2316723

>>2316539
Same guy.
Absolutely love the Dreamcast but only got into it a few years back. I haven't found a kart racer I really enjoy, Sonic Shuffle I find inferior to Mario Party, and I haven't seen a Smash style game (however nothing on the N64 compares to ChuChu Rocket!, Power Stone, or the few light guns games it has.)
All in all, I think the N64's only advantage to the Dreamcast's multiplayer is its familiarity.

>> No.2316735

>>2316414
>anything that's multiplat is better on other systems
It's only one, but Gauntlet Legends is best on N64 due to the summoner being the shop guy whenever you're not in a level, being able to toggle your weapons, and being able to buy food. Also I've heard bad things about Conker's Live and Reloaded.
But a couple games don't really make much of an impact, huh?

>>2316504
>I guess I'm a bit older than a lot of /vr/, because I had a job and a local import shop nearby
Those two things are entirely unrelated. Regardless, I don't think there was an import place near many people and I'm unsure how many people, even as adults, want to play games with a guide next to them to translate everything in game, want to learn another language to play a game, or want to fumble around with no idea what's going on.

>> No.2316743

>>2316735
>Those two things are entirely unrelated.

He's saying that he was old enough to be aware of what the Saturn had to offer during its time on the market. I was too young to have any concept of importing games at that time. It was only years later that I became aware of the Saturn's excellent Japanese library.

>> No.2316746

>>2316743
I just don't think if it was easier to get a bunch of Japanese games it would suddenly be more popular/better. Sure, the Japanese library is what really shines for the Saturn but I feel that caters to a very small market, either now or then.

>> No.2316751

>>2316746
That's true which is why the Saturn was a pretty big commercial flop in the west. The hardcore supporters back then were the ones that were into the import scene and knew their shit. The rest of us scratched our heads and continued playing our PlayStation or N64.

>> No.2316763

>>2316713
Okay, I'm not even understanding whatever point you are trying to make here. Could you please elaborate?

>> No.2316770 [DELETED] 

>>2316763
He's just being a hot, spunky tough guy. Let him be.

>> No.2316776

>>2316735
The vast majority of Saturn import games feature little to no essential text. You can play games like Radiant Silvergun, WakuWaku7 and Bulk Slash fine without needing to know Japanese text. You're only really missing out on stuff like Sakura Wars and Grandia.

>> No.2316797

>>2316763

>implying I'm all broken up about my inability to play Japanese Saturn games

>implying I'm some no-good unemployed drain on society

You couldn't possibly know this even if it were true; I find only overly-judgmental Republican types and die-hard Objectivists ever really give a fucking shit.

>implying I was ever shopping for or would ever accept pity points

>implying I have no idea how fucking horrible the world truly is

And for good measure...

>implying implications

Fuck, if I had the spurdo ">imblyign" image I'd at least post that so this conversation wouldn't totally suck ass, but I don't so it does.

>>2316770

No, I just know bullshit when I see it. I'm not going to just let it ride; the whole point of being on an image board with other people is to converse and let your opinion be known. Otherwise why even be here?

>> No.2316894
File: 569 KB, 1024x768, ToQ1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316797
>Implying you haven't already made your opinion known and aren't harming it the more and more you sperg out defensively about it.

Anyway to try to get back on topic and MAYBE introduce a topic appropriate to the posters we have ITT, let's look at some cross-platform titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQP7JOqgsk

Tomb Raider was developed primarily for Saturn but the Playstation version has smoother FPS and a longer draw distance. The Saturn version has some fancier 2D textures, as you might expect and the guy who made the video says he feels like the models are "more solid" can you spot that?

There are plenty of SAT-PSX cross-platform games and a number of PSX-N64 ones but I can't think of any off the top of my head can you?

>> No.2316912

PS1=Saturn>N64
The saturn its pretty obvious at this point with its plethora of 2D gaming which will always looks good! The same with the PS1 and some of the 3D games dont look that bad still and it had some good 2D games tho not nearly as good as the Saturn, theyre still enjoyable. The 64 tho, as much as I loved it back in the day. I really cant play it with a group of friends. It still has good games like Conkers, S&P, Smash, and Perfect Dark.

>> No.2316919

>>2316894

I dunno, the guy seems to have gone a bit overboard desaturating the Saturn version. I'm not sure why the hell he thought that was necessary in what's supposed to be a straight comparison. One thing though; is the screenshot you posted from the PC version or something? Perhaps it's not seeing it motion that is upping the perceived quality, but that looks better than both.

>> No.2316932

>>2316894
By "more solid", he's obviously referring to the constant clipping models and polygons being removed from rendering before they go off screen, showing the black void. That shit drove me crazy in the PS version. Shame everything else about the game is worse on the Saturn.

>> No.2316970
File: 58 KB, 640x480, 37134-Marvel_Super_Heroes_VS_Street_Fighter-5[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316919
Oh yeah, deffo that screenshot is from the PC version and mustard race guys will haughtily say something like "of course". If there's a "contempory" source port of a game to PC it will almost always be better, especially if it's a popular game that nerds tweak the hell out of but what those Vogons omit is that "contemporary" meant yearS later back then so... yeah, PC gaymers WAY missing the boat GTA5 style - plus still the PC version will be much more of a pain to install and run than a console version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVeJArbDwl4

This one should be a blowout. I dunno if you've played fighters on Saturn but it's pretty great. Unfortunately for Saturn, these days MAME is the way to go for all these 2D arcade games.

But I'm trying to keep mostly on

>> No.2316980

>>2316919
I don't think it is desaturated due to recording settings. The Saturn just had worse textures - it maxed out at 15bit colour depth, but due to low texture memory, most games only used palletized textures to be able to store more textures in memory. Those gave some extra limitations: you could only pick a few palette entries per texture, and you could only have as much palettes stored globally.
Playstation on the other hand had more VRAM, so it could store higher quality textures: more detailed and with higher colour count. It could also do hardware dithering, which increased detail and perceived quality.

>>2316797
OK, I barely even understand half of that. I have no idea what a republican die-hard objectivist is, nor do I care. The other guy is right, you are just being an internet tough guy.

My point was: stop being a fucking crybaby. If you want something done, do it yourself.

>> No.2316998

>>2316970
Marvel Super Heroes sucked on both machines though. Playstation version had low animation, Saturn version was borderline unplayable due to constant slowdown.

>> No.2317009

>>2316912
This guy sums it up for me.
The PS1 had so many great games but there's something about the Saturn that drives me crazy (in a good way).
Never played or saw a N64. It wasn't very popular here. Neither was Nintendo. Only when the GBA came.

Other thing:
My Saturn doesn't read the discs. Am I fucked? Does anybody still fixes this stuff?

>> No.2317028 [DELETED] 

>>2316980

You just responded to the same goddamn person. In both cases you failed to notice basic facts that affected your final behavior.

1. The dude making the recording outright says he fucked with the gamma on the Saturn version.

2. Your "point" was completely unnecessary and I'm unsure from what dark corner of your ass you pulled it out from. When was I being a crybaby? About what? You just swooped in and assumed I was some ignorant American Saturn owner, sitting on my ass loudly complaining that them thar Saturn games ain't gunna hop on over here magically in English to boot.

The only possible explanations I could come up with were:

A. You're a Republican asshole (the "tough love" bullshit).

B. You're a weeaboo asshole (the "learn Japanese you pleb") bullshit.

C. You're a European asshole (the "Americans lol" bullshit.

D. You're just an asshole (for continuing this conversation due to some "last word" fixation).

Of course we will never know which it ever really is.

>> No.2317064

>>2317009
you probably need a new laser but first check a music CD if not then you need to get one. It shouldn't be that hard but im not sure how to do it.
>It wasn't very popular here.
where are you from? Japan. I'm sure it did well in Europe but im not an expert im just assuming at this point.

>> No.2317071

>>2317028
>The dude making the recording outright says he fucked with the gamma on the Saturn version.

I didn't read the entire youtube description or wherever it was outright stated that the gamma was intentionally modified. I just saw the comparison and noticed that the textures are different quality. Hence my comment.

As for the rest of your argument, I'm sorry that you are so easily offended over nothing, on the internet.

>> No.2317125
File: 17 KB, 400x328, $_1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2317064
>>2317009
Saturn lasers have potentiometers on them that actually have physical limiters to keep you from burning them out by cranking them too high. Just turn it until it stops turning easily and you'll be good for several hundred more hours. Plenty of time to order a replacement for about $17. It's the orange thing in this pic, although your oem one may be gray.

>> No.2317135

>>2316026
Owned...
Sega Saturn, PS1, and N64.

Still love the PS1.
N64 was rather meh then to me, still is now.
Saturn I loved, but outside of a few classics, its petty meh.

>> No.2317141

>>2316026
When they were selling the brand new Saturn system for like 40 dollars everyone knew it was a failure. It just doesn't have enough games.

>> No.2317149

>>2317071
>>2316980

Grow up.

>> No.2317158 [DELETED] 

H U G E

I N T E R N E T

F I G H T

>> No.2317167

>>2317125
Don't just turn them up blindly, turn them up until they read discs the best. It's a bit like tuning in a TV, if you ever did that manually: you keep cranking it in one direction as long as you get better results, then once the results get worse, you tune back until you reach the optimum result.

If you don't have an oscilloscope to take precise measurements, you'll need to rely on seeing how much the machine struggles to read the disc. Optimally, disc would be read pretty much instantaneously, then it moves out to check the security ring, then it boots the game.

One more thing, sometimes the tray itself gets pushed too low and needs to be raised back a bit. This can also affect how much the laser sees things, since the focus point of the laser is out of position.

I think I've come across maybe 2 lasers in my lifetimes which were actually dead. Every other time, calibrating the laser fixed the unit.

>> No.2317196

>>2316797
>implying I'm all broken up about my inability to play Japanese Saturn games

You were the one implying that in the first place:

>>2316326
>What I don't have is an informal degree in moonrunes.

>> No.2317320
File: 44 KB, 300x225, 1315938681827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2316523

>Yes, but get a modded one or a mod chip. You don't want to start collecting real Saturn games at this point in the game.

I wish I had known this back when I bought mine in 2011. I was so eager to finally buy one but I kind of regret it. All the really good titles are expensive, so a mod chip is mandatory, but I don't know anything about installing them.

>> No.2317328

>>2317320
You just need to connect 2 ribbon cables and solder a power cable. The difficulty is 1 on a scale of 10, even if you've never soldered before.

>> No.2317468

>>2317167
Nah. Lasers burn out like bulbs slowly getting dimmer as they do and needing more juice pushed to them it's really that simple. Crank them up too high and their lifespan is reduced, crank them up WAY too high and they burn out instantly. Saturn (and X'Eye) lasers just have that nice limiter that makes it impossible to crank them too high and if they've gotten so weak they treat data discs as audio discs, they need put up to the limit. You've probably only ever serviced consoles belonging to people who don't know this and never did it themselves. You DO get a LOT more life out of a laser from doing it - like I said, hundreds of extra hours but it's still probably time to get a back up ordered.

>> No.2317497

>>2317468
I don't know the specifics but I doubt the lasers would have their pot meter designed in a way to allow for a suicide setting. They shouldn't be able to kill themselves just from being set too high, that would be a serious design flaw.

I figure the pots are there to account for manufacturing differences, since just a small bit of difference (still within the normal margins) can make a huge difference in analog readings.
On the saturns I tweaked myself, cranking the laser to the max did not make them read better. I always had to find an optimal spot where they read things the best. I also have a unit that has the pot turned all the way clockwise from factory, that one is probably little used since it can read the most damaged discs that none of my other units can.

As far as I know the big problem with functional lasers (not counting their eventual age-related deterioration), is that if they are calibrated poorly, they'll have to try more often to read one sector until they get it right. This puts gigantic extra wear on the laser, making it burn out faster.

So if you leave them un-calibrated, they'll die that much faster. Calibrate them fine, and they live for longer. It's basic maintenance to keep them healthy.

Also, the problem with ordering backups is that 1. there are too many low quality Chinese counterfeits, and 2. you still need to calibrate them ANYWAY... most people just pop a made-in-china laser without calibration and then wonder why it doesn't work in their machine.

>> No.2317498

>>2316026
I got a Sega Saturn for my birthday and had a Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X before it. I really loved it and played it all the time. It came with the 3 pack (Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter) and also got NiGHTS with it. I got so frustrated playing NiGHTS because I could never figure out how to play it properly but I loved playing it even if my score was shit.

I got a whole bunch of games and rented them when that was a thing. I played Tomb Raider on it when it was exclusive. Resident Evil. Basically all the early games that were also on PSX and never felt once that I had the underdog system until Sega didn't release Sonic X-treme. That shit really pissed me off as a kid because I wanted *my* Super Mario 64 as a Sega kid. I did enjoy Croc and Sonic R to sort of fill that void.

I always loved it and still do but there was no denying even as a kid once Sonic X-treme got shelved that it was over. I moved onto PS1 a couple years later and enjoyed shit like CTR, Syphon Filter, Tomba, and so forth but my Saturn always got love. We even had it hooked up in the car for long drives and my sister and I would play the fuck out of Sonic R and Die Hard Arcade. Sega always holds a special place in my heart.

I always and still view N64 as the real underdog. It was just the party console for tards (something Nintendo hasn't been able to shake since).

>> No.2317510

>>2317497
Playstation pots can be cranked and cranked and cranked and they'll definitely burn out. Happily brand new whole drive assemblies for Playstation are only like $10 that's where I got most of my experience. The Saturn (and X'Eye) have much better drive assemblies than Playstation though. Sega CDs are shitty all around.

>> No.2317520

>>2316326
this nigga trying so hard to sound smart

>> No.2317534

>>2317510
Yeah, I've heard that they put normal audio cd player drives in the first Mega CD and in the Playstation, and they killed themselves fast because they were not up to it. There are anecdotes for both: one about how they found out that the Mega CD assembly caught on fire one day before the launch, and another about how Crash Bandicoot put more strain on the drive than it was rated for, but they kept it shush-shush because the game was such a killer app.

Also, fun little detail: the cd drive in the Saturn is the successor of the cd drive in the x-eye.

>> No.2317549

>>2316041
You do realize that SoJ was completely retarded during the 90s, right? Pick a year, any of 'em. 1990 to 1999. Maybe earlier or later, but hey.

like, this is the same SoJ that forced the Saturn's early release even though the Americans knew it was a bad idea

Stolar made bad decisions, but the bigwigs in Japan seemed to be deliberately sabotaging their western success.
reminder that it was SoJ's fuckery that got Sonic Xtreme killed

As for stuck in Japan? Most of the best Saturn games don't need you to know runes to play, unless you're very into RPGs.
like you don't need to know a lick of Japanese to play Bulk Slash or Keio Yugekitai or Radiant Silvergun or the myriad of arcade ports

>>2316071
VF2 on the Saturn looks amazing. It has near-Model 2 quality visuals for the characters, running in 480i. Shame about the backgrounds though.

but it looks clean as fuck

>> No.2317567

>>2317549
>reminder that it was SoJ's fuckery that got Sonic Xtreme killed

Sonic Xtreme would've been shit anyway. It was Bug! with a fisheye gimmick. I love STI, but there is a reason why that game never went anywhere.

>It has near-Model 2 quality visuals for the characters

Nah, nowhere near - look at the characters hands, model 2 has individual fingers, Saturn has solid block fists. There is no light sourcing either, and all but a few physics effects were removed (model 2 has stuff like Jacky's hair swaying as he moved, Saturn has everyone almost completely stiff except for the most obvious details). The game is still extremely impressive, though. Plus it plays just so damn good, probably the most fair 1-on-1 fighter I've ever played.

Dead or Alive looks better (except the backgrounds) in my opinion, the models are better and more dynamic. And the first game played incredibly good too.

And Last Bronx probably has the most impressive backgrounds for a 3d fighter on the Saturn.

>> No.2317606

I really don't get the hate for early 3d low polygon graphics.

>> No.2317639

People say the Saturn had a great import library but where are all the fan translations?

>> No.2317768
File: 835 KB, 1250x1150, Sega-Saturn-Motherboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got a weird problem with my Saturn disks, maybe somebody can help?

I got myself Street Fighter Alpha 2, and I put the disc into my Saturn and it makes a nasty scratching noise. None of my other disks do this.

I open up my Saturn and put it on the disc drive without the case, and the bottom seems to be making contact with the lens carriage itself - as said before none of my other disks do this.

The disk looks physically identical to my others (doesn't appear bent or anything). Anybody know why this is happening? It's confusing as fuck.

>> No.2317771

>>2317768
So you're saying it appears to have a physical difference that allows it to contact something no other discs do, but there aren't any physical differences? Are you sure?

>> No.2317773

>>2317771
To my eyes it doesn't look any different to my other discs, but it is definitely making physical contact with something while the others disks do not.

>> No.2317794

I was lucky enough to own a Playstation while having two friends on my block that owned an N64 and a Saturn. Between the amount of time we spent at each others' house and the ability to trade consoles when we wanted, it was like each of us owned all three.

>PS1
Between its versatility, title availability and originality, and controller ergonomics it was/is easily the best system.

There were a ton of fun single-player games and plenty of multiplayer games. Even shitty games, both objective and subjective, at least looked like a bunch of work went into them.

Playstation set the standard for the following generation of consoles.

>N64
N64 was a fun console, it's hard to argue that. But you had to want the Nintendo brand of fun to get the most out of it. The cartridge system was dated and the controller was clunky (the analogue stick was a nice touch, but the thing is a mess of a design).

A lot of the platformers and shooters were fun, but usually clones of each other, two-dimensional (figuratively), and filled with glitches. It had plenty of good games, but only a few gems.

N64's shining point was multiplayer. It brought multiplayer games to another level.

>Saturn
The little system that couldn't. There was so much potential at every turn, but Sega managed to shoot themselves in the foot before rounding every corner.

The system and games were expensive, and often rare. From what I understand they didn't even bother porting games from Japan that US owners wanted. I remember the majority of its available library was made up of games everyone had already played in the arcade, sequels/spinoffs, and a couple semi-original games. Nobody gave a shit how well games ran on Saturn if you couldn't get them or they were shitty games. Saturn was the least played console among us three.

I think people that rate Saturn higher than the other two are remembering Saturn as what it could have been, rather that what it actually was.

>tl;dr
Playstation>64>Saturn

>> No.2318494

>>2317794
> The system and games were expensive, and often rare.
System was expensive at launch but saying the games were expensive is outright false. The N64 games were unquestionably the most expensive of that generation. Hell after the Saturn's first year on the market they were damn near giving games away.

> I remember the majority of its available library was made up of games everyone had already played in the arcade,

Are you honestly knocking the Saturn for having excellent arcade ports vs the N64 which essentially had none lol?

> sequels/spinoffs,

Saying this about the Saturn and not the N64 is hilarious and again just shows you are completely misinformed and just plain wrong. Hell the Saturn is famous for NOT capitalizing on the success of it's previous ultra popular home franchises were as the N64 literally would have been a totally dead console without Mario and Zelda. I mean you're talking about a Sega console that didn't have a fvcking real Sonic or Streets of Rage game.

> semi-original games.

Dude again WTF are you smoking? Even the Saturn's U.S. library trounces the N64 in this regard.

Literally almost nothing you said was correct in the slightest. I think you and your friends with the Saturn were just retarded and had shit taste in game selection.

>> No.2322456

>>2317606
yeah I don't get it either. They look weird because it was one of the first attempts at 3D, of course it's not going to look good.

>> No.2322481

>>2318494

Not him, but

>Are you honestly knocking the Saturn for having excellent arcade ports vs the N64 which essentially had none lol?

N64 has some good arcade racing games by Midway.

>Saying this about the Saturn and not the N64 is hilarious and again just shows you are completely misinformed and just plain wrong.

Saturn doesn't have any major Sonic game, but it DOES have the less popular Sonic spinoffs like 3D Blast or Sonic R, it also has a lot of Virtua Fighter spinoffs and derivates, etc. VF2 was the most popular game on the Saturn and they capitalized on it.

>Dude again WTF are you smoking? Even the Saturn's U.S. library trounces the N64 in this regard.

What are you trying to say? The Saturn does have a lot of original games (not sure why the other anon said "semi"), nights, burning rangers, panzer dragoon, etc.
Not sure if the US Saturn catalogue "trounces" the N64 though, I'd say that depends on personal taste. N64 also had Goemon, Mischief Makers, Blast Corps and a lot of other original games that weren't "Mario and Zelda".

I get that you really don't like the N64, but your bias is way too strong, and you're as wrong as he is about the Saturn.

I liked both Saturn and N64 more than the PS1 back in the day, I know I'm in the minority here.

>> No.2324678

>>2322481
>N64 has some good arcade racing games by Midway.
What, Cruisin' USA? This game is fucking boring with poor controls - Outrun easily beats it and it was made over a decade before.

>> No.2324719
File: 88 KB, 640x469, 41572_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2324678

Actually, Cruisin' USA was not a very good port. Cruisin' World was better.
But no, I'm not only talking about the Cruisin games. N64 has a lot of other racing games by Midway, you clearly aren't very well versed on the N64's catalogue. I know it's common to think it only has "Mario and Zelda", but it really does have more than that.

Not saying they're "better" or "worse" than Outrun or Daytona, I was just correcting that anon who said N64 doesn't have any arcade ports.

>> No.2324721

PSX>Saturn>N64

>> No.2325829

>>2324721
This.

>> No.2325842

>>2324721

I changed perspective over time

Back in 1996:

N64>PS1>Saturn

Mid 00s:

PS1>Saturn>N64

Nowdays:

Saturn>N64>PS1

I've been playing less and less PS1 as time went on, and more Saturn as I explore its japanese catalogue. And I started appreciating lesser known N64 titles a LOT, also thanks to imports, in part. I kinda got burned out of RPGs on the PS1. Still a great console and the objective best choice back in the day for sure, at least if you lived in the west.

>> No.2325858

>>2324721
JRPG-loving friendless basement-dweller neckbeard detected.

>> No.2325865

>>2325858

>>>/v/

>> No.2326084

>>2325858
Actually, I don't play RPGs at all and I grew up with a Saturn first. It's hard to deny PSX is the best with shit like Metal Gear Solid on it (which I'm a huge fan of).

>> No.2326134

>>2325858
The PSX had more games of every genre, AND more available genres in ALL Regions.
It was basically the Xbox 360 of it's time. It just raped the competition. Totally and utterly and in every way you could ever think of.

>> No.2326169

>>2326084
MGS was shit compared to Thief, pleb.

>> No.2326314

>>2326134
>It was basically the Xbox 360 of it's time
Never post again.

>> No.2326367

>>2326169

Why is this such a controversial opinion?
Seems like wherever you go people jerk off MGS.

>> No.2326376

>>2326169
By what metric are you comparing these games? Was Quake better than Street Fighter?

>> No.2326382

>>2326376

Well, if you're asking for a good stealth game, then Thief wins.

>> No.2326401

>>2326382
MGS isn't stealth. It's Tactical Espionage. Stealth is an option, not the only option as in Thief.

Thief has no forced combat, MGS has tons. That right there means it isn't a pure stealth game.

>> No.2326447

>>2326401
Aside from bosses, what is forced in MGS? You can avoid pretty much everything.

>> No.2326449

>>2326447
Meeting Meryl, stairs, elevator, jeep, off the top of my head.

Either way I don't understand this recent Thief and Metal Gear Solid comparison that popped up on /v/ in the last few years. Besides the fact that they came out in the same year there's virtually nothing similar about the two beyond the fact that stealth is a factor. Thief is built primarily around stealth and little else. Metal Gear is built on allowing the player to go about the way they want to. It's never "If you liked Thief/Metal Gear you'll like vice versa!", it's always this passive aggressive "[x] game is shit, [x] is better." And it's always Thief. It's never something that has more in common with MGS like, say, Tenchu, which also came out the same year.

>> No.2326453

>>2316026
Daaaayyyytttoooonaaaa! Man, I loved my saturn. Played a lot of Daytona USA, virtua fighter and Virtua cop when I was a kid. I wish I was wiser then. I'm sure there was much better games but I knew squat about squat. I'm going to have to search the attic and hit up eBay to get update.

>> No.2326524

>>2316026
I didn't even know that the Saturn existed.

Now it seems like it was kinda cool, but the arcade ports are better on MAME anyway.Also i still don't get Nights.

>> No.2326529

>>2326524
>but the arcade ports are better on MAME anyway

No, they are better on their original arcade boards. MAME is still emulation.

>> No.2326550

>>2326169
I enjoy MGS for the story. Also, I don't see what Thief has to do with PSX, Saturn, or N64.

>> No.2326576

>>2316041
>courtesy of that kike Bernie Stolar.

Don't blame it all on him, Sega was stupid enough to hire him in the first place and then they were too stupid to fire him when it became obvious he was fucking over the Saturn.

>> No.2326635

>>2326576
>Saturn would have been a success if [insert obscure animu game] was released in the states. I swear it!

This is what Saturn fans actually believe.

>> No.2326638

>>2326550
PC Master Race encompasses all generations.

>> No.2326736

>>2326524
Most ports are better on MAME, not all. I don't think anyone would deny that Hyper Duel is best played on the Saturn. Quite a few of the ports have arranged soundtracks, new modes, or extra options that make them preferable to the arcade originals.

Also, ST-V emulation in MAME was still garbage last I checked (Guardian Force has 7 frames of input lag, Cotton 2/Boomerang runs at 1/10th speed, etc.), so the Saturn ports are still the only way to go.

>> No.2326737

>>2326635

Well, Final Fantasy VII was one of the best 5th gen selling games world wide and it's pretty much animu shit.

If there was a time when the mainstream market accepted anime in the west, that was the late 90s.

>> No.2326782

FF7 is nothing, you should see people on the internet jerk off to FF6 its cringe worthy

>> No.2326829

>>2326737
The difference is that FF7 was extremely successful in Japan as well. I can't think of too many Saturn games that the West was denied which were megahits over there.

>> No.2327181

>>2326736
I think he meant games which were ported to Saturn, like the Capcom fighters, most shmups, model 2 games, etc.

>>2326829
>I can't think of too many Saturn games that the West was denied which were megahits over there.

Grandia, Sakura Taisen 1-2, Castlevania SOTN...

>> No.2327201

>>2327181

Many of the Capcom games are arcade-perfect on Saturn (especially those which use the extra RAM cart), plus as he said, they have extra features. While on MAME they're still emulation. I'll take playing them on the Saturn instead of MAME for most.

>>2326829

There were too many Saturn games which were megahits in Japan and never made it to the west.

>> No.2327204

>>2327181
>Grandia, Sakura Taisen 1-2, Castlevania SOTN...
You must be joking if you think these games sold in big numbers.

>>2327201
>There were too many Saturn games which were megahits in Japan and never made it to the west.
Such as what? I can't see anything even vaguely comparable to FF7.

>> No.2327228

>>2327204

Sakura Taisen were HUGE in Japan, dude. One of Sega's most profitable franchises I'd say.

Anyway, FF7 was one of the best-selling games from the entire 5th gen, it is indeed hard to think of RPGs that sold as much as it did, even within the PS1's catalogue, but at the same time there were a lot of RPGs on the Saturn that would have been appealing to people playing RPGs back in the 90s, anyway the point is moot because Saturn had awful reception in the west from the start, thanks to Sega of America/Europe's inoperation. Panzer Dragoon Saga could have been a lot more successful (and less rare nowdays) if they released more than only 10k copies and actually advertised it as the second coming of christ, as Sony did with FF7. Part of the FF7's success was because of the hype. Yeah, you can argue it carried the success of FF6 and the prior FF games, but don't be fooled, RPGs in consoles were niche in the west before FF7. For most people back then, FF7 was their first time playing a turn based RPG vidya.

However, it's also true that another point FF7 (and PS1 in general) had were the FMVs. The west was drooling over videogames finally having long, impressive looking videos much like the PC's multimedia. Obviously the Saturn would have never been as successful in the west as it was on Japan, since Japan is a lot more keen to arcades and 2D games, and the west was all about 3D and FMVs, but if Saturn had better support in the west, better marketing, more games localized (it did have a lot of RPGs) then it would have done a lot better, maybe not dethrone the PS1, but maybe it could have beaten the N64 and took its 2nd place.

>> No.2327232

>>2327228
>Sakura Taisen were HUGE in Japan, dude
Actually, yeah you are right about this one. But this is such an extremely Japanese franchise, it's impossible to imagine how a localization could have any mainstream appeal.

Final Fantasy VII may be anime style, but it's not so over-the-top that a normie that has never seen an anime would associate it with Japan.

>> No.2327268

>>2327232

Well, again, Panzer Dragoon Saga could have been a good rival for FF7. But then again... Sega's inoperancies in the west prevented it from doing so.

As for normies and anime... anime was hugely accepted in the late 90s. Stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Akira made people take anime as high-profile, state of the art animation, they still didn't knew that "otaku" were seen as weridos (at least, those who didn't watch Otaku no Video).

>> No.2327332

>>2327204
>You must be joking if you think these games sold in big numbers.

Sakura Taisen was one of Segas best series ever, and Grandia was the 2nd highest grossing game behind VF2 and also the highest grossing third party Saturn game.

>> No.2327372

>>2327332
>Grandia was the 2nd highest grossing game behind VF2 and also the highest grossing third party Saturn game.
Yeah, then it got localized for the west on PS1 and everybody ignored it. Saturn's savior for sure.

>> No.2327446

I was born in 1983. After much begging our parents finally bought us a NES about a year or two before the SNES came out. So, there was no hope of their buying a SNES or Genesis when they expected the NES to last several years more. They were not enthusiastic about games in general and didn't want me playing them anyways.

So I was that kid who obsessed over other kids gaming systems. I really was just absolutely in love with gaming, especially fighting games.

One day I saw the Virtua Fighter 2 arcade and it was a religious experience. I can't overstate how reality-bending it was to see that game. It was like seeing the most beautiful woman you've ever seen on the other side of a room and you can't take your eyes off her but you don't want to stare, but times ten thousand.

Eventually I saved up the money I earned babysitting to buy a Saturn for VF2 but it was not the same. You can talk about how the Saturn VF2 was good compared to other Saturn games, and it was certainly was, and that it was impressive for its console generation, and it was, but the arcade version was still in another dimension. No floating raft that dipped into the water as you go close to the edge, no shadow from the bridge eclipsing the arena, no 3D rendered backgrounds at all, so much of the sense of space was lost. It was a much more confined game. I was very disappointed. I really didn't want to be playing a shadow of the heavenly apparition I had seen before. I guess I had unrealistic expectations, but then I was a kid and we couldn't just go on the net and watch gameplay vids back in those days.

It took Sega forever but they finally released an arcade perfect port to XBLA a couple years ago. When I want to play VF2, I go to that version, not the Saturn.

I spent my time as a Saturn owner feeling I bought the wrong console.

>> No.2327447

OG owner of all three.

Saturn was the best. So many underappreciated classics.

>> No.2327837

>>2327446

Saturn version has the whole CPU learning from your playstyle mechanic though. Does the XBLA version have that?

>> No.2327974

>>2327446
Shit, I loved the Saturn version and it's still my go-to. For the first one I go to 32X because I grew up with that one first before I got a Saturn.

>> No.2329643

>>2327446
Thank you for taking the time to write that, anon. I grew up in vaguely similar circumstances, with an Amiga so i wasn't doing too bad, but loved gaming and games i couldn't get for my system. Difference being in Australia Sega never marketed the Saturn. Or the 32x or anything after the Megadrive and before the DC. I never knew the Saturn existed, no one here did, until... i dunno, sometime after the PS3 came out? It seems weird that they'd ignore their primary fanbase to that point.

Now, however, i want one :)

>> No.2330907

My family owned an n64 and a PSX, and I always enjoyed the n64 more. I still do today, I don't think the non-flagship series get enough recognition. (Ogre Battle, Sarge's Heroes, Turok, Bomberman, Star Wars (lol), Blast Corps, etc etc). Hell, it's still fun to play today with friends in basically any 4 player game I have for it. And most of the major single player titles are still fun enough that I play through them every couple years.

I have nostalgia for a ton of PSX games as well, especially FF7/CB/RE/Parasite Eve (that game was sick as fuck), but aside from FF7 and CB I rarely play anything. But honestly, I feel the n64 4 controller vs Saturn/PSX 2 controller is the biggest reason for it's continued popularity in my experience, and I would think it's the same for anyone that still uses it today.

>> No.2330915

>>2330907
All this being said, I honestly wonder now if I would feel the same way were there a better way to get games back then. The store we got our games at (if not Hollywood Video/Blockbuster, which had lame collections in their own right) had a pretty awful selection of PSX games, and even a subpar collection of N64 games (but it's a hell of a lot easier to find the "good" N64 games: just look for something with Mario or Zelda or Rare on the cart)