[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 12 KB, 225x225, Diablo1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2288451 No.2288451 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnMR6SOBa9k

Anyone have fond memories of this game? What really inspired you to grind to hell?

>> No.2288454

>>2288451
Obviously. A lot of people around here even prefer it to D2 (myself included). Having played D2 before D1 I was utterly disappointed when I first noticed the whole game was limited to a single village. But when I realized shit literally goes down, I was completely blown away by how magnificently this game delivers its experience.

>> No.2288459

I think Diablo 1 was the first spooky game i played, especially the atmosphere in the village got me. Not to mention the fucking butcher. before i figured out you could just trap him behind a gate and cheese his shit

>> No.2288460

>tfw no HD mod

I just want to play it in 1024x768 with no other "improvements".

>> No.2288464

>>2288459
>tfw your grandpa was a butcher irl.

Hope he wont make me into carnitas! AHAHA jk. But yeah butcher was super scary. "Ahhhh fresh meat"

>> No.2288465

>>2288451

I really want to play this again but that stupid graphic issue with modern computers just won't go away and I've tried all the listed workarounds.

>> No.2288474

>>2288465
Ohh.. Yeah don't yall miss the CRT screens haha. Anyways. Hope you can figure it out and replay it. As for me I just wanna find some tabs to play the Tristram theme song again.

Don't forget about the peg leg boy.. Is that needed to be spoiled I dont know how to spoil text.

>> No.2288478

>>2288460
Being able to see further already changes the game significantly.

>>2288474
What do CRT have to do with Microsoft killing DirectDraw?

>> No.2288487

>>2288478
I don't know tell me about it.
>What do CRT have to do with Microsoft killing DirectDraw?

???? Killing all the lefties?? I DUNNO!??

>> No.2288492

>>2288460
Well there's a source port in develop named Freeablo, but it's still in early alpha, and the developer takes hella time to get shit done.

>> No.2288509

>>2288492
That's an engine recreation. A source port requires the source code.

>> No.2288721

I'm playing it for my first time ever, just installed it last night.
I don't have a spell ready I don't have a spell ready I don't have a spell ready

Hordes of Hiddens are tearing me up right now.

>> No.2288724

>>2288721
>Hiddens
Probably my favorite death animation in any ARPG since. Satisfying as fuck.

>> No.2288731

>>2288451
Was a bit too young for D1 sadly. But I will never be able to properly thank my cousin for showing me D2.

Even if you are someone who likes to dwell in lore and the atmosphere of games, or someone who likes to grind for weeks(months? years?) for perfect gear, D2 covers your needs.

>> No.2288774
File: 117 KB, 720x960, 1421507292914.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Having to run down succubi as a warrior

Didn't even make the game more difficult in most cases, just a lot more tedious.

>> No.2288776
File: 13 KB, 365x352, 1371335116601.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288774
Goatman archers in the catacombs were total dicks too.

>> No.2288778

>>2288774
What the... spoiler that shit, I dont care if its photashopd or not, eeeew

>> No.2288784
File: 576 KB, 763x992, 1416082361588.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288774
On my last playthrough i didn't bring a ranged weapon to hell. Ended up having to painstakingly hunt each individual succubi into a corner.

>> No.2288823

>>2288451
Many years ago I used to get together with 2 other friends and we used to play in about 8 hour shifts, good fucking times mate hahahaa...

>> No.2288825

>>2288784

Same here. I'm guessing there's an efficient way for Warriors to deal with them, but I went into the game blind when I played it a couple years ago and was not prepared for that shit. Game is still amazing, but damn that shit was irritating.

>> No.2288838

I'm wanting to replay doing Iron man mode (no going back to town) but I need a place to download the file.

More importantly I am hoping to transfer it to my work computer using a flash drive. Not sure if that is possible, or if it will even run on a newer system.

>> No.2289008

I just remember installing the demo on a computer at the local public library. That, and ZSNES (back when it was brand new) with a bunch of roms.

Even though I bought the game a few years later, I still never played it too much, I should really get on that (and Diablo II of course).

>> No.2289029

I disliked playing this game the more I learned about it. Playing as a warrior I always got jackshit for weapons and armor, arcanes valour and griswalds edge if I was lucky. Get jackshit for bows playing as a rogue. A sorcerer could just dupe everything to bail themselves out of shitty drops but no such luck for the other two classes.

>> No.2289081

>>2289029
That is what I kinda liked about it, you had to make due with what you had if you tried to do it in a single game unlike D2 which will always refresh when you come back the next time you want to play. Sometimes you actually do find some pretty good gear, and the veil of steel quest was always a god send as a warrior, not like you will find a better helm, or the one in which you kill the unique doom knight and you can loot the entire armory that he was guarding.

>>2288454
I agree. In Diablo 2 you go from act to act, you just magically appear there. When you beat Act 3 you hop into a portal and you are transported right into the only bastion that heaven has in hell. In Diablo 1 you just keep going down the stairs, Deeper and deeper below the church until you find yourself at the mouth of hell and just continue forging on. The caves section was nice as well because it would transition from a more cool and blue level to one with magma more and more present.

>> No.2289294

>>2288825
Playing the Warrior in the late game, you *have* to rely on patient footwork and some really smart maneuvering. My favourite class for that reason, nota bene; there's much less finesse to a PvM Sorcerer.
Generally, Warriors don't benefit from ranged weapons at all, you will fire them too slowly while being a sitting duck for the Blood Star; what you have to do is rely on the fact that while walking left-to-right (horizontally from your perspective; diagonally from the game's isometric view) you can't get hit by missiles, and patiently chase succubi into a corner to kill them. Alternate ways include Telekilling them (teleport behind them and stunlock with weapon of Speed/Haste; I find that suffix to be pretty essential on any late game weapon and playing without it to be very challenging).

In general, Warrior is my favourite class, 3-dotted countless characters (including a Naked Mage), played some PvP (it was still alive in the 00's in my country) and about the only thing I never got to do was an Iron Man run.

D1>D2, but both games are fun in their own right.

>> No.2289306

Moo.
I said, moo.

>> No.2289307

>>2289029
Warriors can always do the endless Griswold spam (Griswold is capable of selling you the single best Warrior weapon in the game and some great armors, and gold isn't at premium in Diablo), and, especially in Single Player (where monsters are weaker than the ones in Multiplayer Normal mode, AND you get a plethora of guaranteed quest items to ease your journey), you honestly don't need all that much. Healing spell, good Magic/Fire resistances (Lightning doesn't appear much anymore beyond Caves), preferrably a weapon of Speed/Haste (really helps with stunlocking) and responsible maneuvering will take you to the Dark Lord, and once you isolate him (either by just patiently wiping out his crew or luring them out), Diablo is weak as fuck when tackled solo.

Rogue is easy, just get a bow - any bow, Rogue's Dexterity bonuses make up for the rest, although Knockback/Fast Attack mods are preferrable - and learn how to scout forward with it (shoot arrows into the dark in front of you to wake up monsters and then engage responsibly). Both classes want you to utilise terrain features (all those dead bodies and doodads) to form bottlenecks to tackle enemies better.

In general what I like about both Diablo games is whatever deficiency you have in gear, you can make up for with a good build (dual-elemental builds in Diablo 2 are pretty self-sufficient, and even the simple combat classes in Diablo 1 can allow for some cool stuff depending on the hand you're dealt) and/or skill (maneuver better).

>> No.2289312

I'm unfamiliar with the graphics issue. can someone explain please?

>> No.2289375

>>2289312
What do you mean? Are you getting a problem with the graphics when you try to play, such as a rainbow effect?

Either way, this should fix any problem anyone has with the graphics:
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-13200.html

>> No.2289527
File: 451 KB, 800x600, Screenshot001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was playing a bit since I've been playing all 3 Diablos off and on recently, and getting really frustrated, then I looked it up and bosses in multiplayer have more health even if you are playing by yourself. That's what I fucking get. You can't even get the skeleton king's crown, arkhaine's valor, or the butcher's cleaver in MP, so I don't know what I was thinking. I will have to restart.

Is Diablo the only series where each game looks progressively worse than the previous? D2 looks really pixelated compared to 1, and D3 looks muddy and lazy compared to 2.

Pic somewhat related, my melee sorc in D2 just got this drop last time I played. Shit got real.

>> No.2289542

>>2288774
>>2288776
>succubi
>goatmen archers
>acid spitting beasts
>disappearing wizard bastards in Hell

Fuuuuuuck, a warriors worst nightmare.
And a Sorcerers worst nightmare on Hell difficulty. Fucking immunities, man. It even gets pretty bad on Nightmare sometimes.
I wanna play D1 so bad, but the left click on my mouse is fucked up. I still have the original CD in mint condition.

>> No.2289548

>>2288509
>Blizzard literally won't sell you the game if you want to buy it
>Doesn't release the source code
What the fuck?

>> No.2289550 [SPOILER] 
File: 6 KB, 240x160, 1426388376236.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2289306

>> No.2289554

>>2289527
Why is Bonesnap such a godlike item? Can easily last you in Hell if you just upgrade/socket it.

>I don't know what I was thinking
Well, you get to play on Nightmare and Hell difficulty which is where the real challenge is (though you can also trigger these difficulties in single player if you know how) and you get to buy Adria's potions of statboosting. MP mode is where you pump your character out to high levels.

>>2289542
>And a Sorcerers worst nightmare on Hell difficulty. Fucking immunities, man.

It's not so bad. Sorcerers can just zip past all that shit (making them excellent Lazarus runners for some nice items) and their killing speed isn't so bad when you factor Stone Curse + Golem + decent items on switch (Weird/Strange/King's Swords in secondary equipment for killing the created stone statues) lets you fight them. Sorcerer is still broken even with triple immunities factored in.

>> No.2289569

>>2289554
Not the guy with the melee sorc, but to answer your question: Yes, Bonesnap is definitely Hell-viable. The ED and AR isn't bad, and the CB is a killer.

I personally only play Classic D2 these days, and Bonesnap is a great find until I can roll a decent rare Martel de Fer.

>> No.2289598

>>2288459
The first time I played Diablo was on the PS1 and I must admit it was absolutely scary for my young, sensitive mind and it left me a lasting impression of fear. I still recall how back then things seemed much brighter and more amusing. The atmosphere was so creepy that I got nightmares regarding the hanged people and the crow in the intro CG. By the third time I attempted to play it I gave up and asked my father to lock it away so I wouldn't give in to the urge of exploring the church during the day only to be haunted by it during the night. It seriously scared me and disturbed my sleep. I still miss my childish mindset. Diablo and Resident Evil 2/3 marked my infancy, even though I only extensively played the former as a kid.

>> No.2289702

>>2289598
>I must admit it was absolutely scary for my young, sensitive mind

Same here

>See a bloody room full of corpses up on meat hooks
>Cautiously open it up
>"AHH, FRESH MEAT"

>> No.2289721
File: 250 KB, 816x816, 1336177616833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288451
Diablo 1 was one of the most memorable games of my childhood. I was a young lad when it first came out, and I was introduced to it through a friend of mine who's dad was very computer literate and owned about 4 or 5 PCs at the time. Going to his house was an incredible experience for me, as my parents only had a Mac at the time, so I was introduced to a vast wealth of wondrous games -- one of which was Diablo.

Whenever I would go around to my friend's house I would use the spare PC (him and his siblings all sort of had their own designated computer) and we would start up a LAN game, continuing on where we left off.

The game was absolutely amazing for it's time. The cinematics was gorgeous, I clearly remember turning to my friend and saying it looked like real life. I was in awe when we first made it to the butcher's room, looking at all the gore and intense satanic themes along the way. I also remember my friend and I screaming when we encountered King Leoric and discovered he was able to open doors (first enemy in the game that can do this, iirc), chasing us down and killing our characters since we were very unprepared and awful at playing the game. My mind was completely blown when my friend's older brother showed us the potion-drop-duplicate glitch (or was it intentional?), who shortly after lured us into the cathedral and killed my friend and I.

This game really hits me in the feels. Diablo 2 was great as well, but because of a combination of my age and how inexperienced I was with PC games Diablo 1 will always be more memorable for me.

>> No.2289742
File: 21 KB, 193x252, qilby.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288465
I spent quite some time trying various fixes. If you're on Windows 7 and your installation and drivers aren't completely fucking obscure and messed up, I'm very confident that this should fix your problems, as it's been completely successful on multiple systems I've done this with.
I'm not here to bullshit you and waste your time, I'm sure both of us went through enough of that. Go ahead and give this one a try, last time's a charm. Unless you already have, in which case I'm sorry.

http://www.geekrant.org/2014/03/04/diablo-i-yes-diablo-1-lan-play-on-vista-or-windows-7/

You're going to want to install the game, update to 1.09, and apply the x64 Windows 7 64-bit registry file. You'll probably want to restart after doing so.
IPXWrapper will do the trick if you're trying to play over LAN like I did a few months back. Haven't played online in a very long time, sorry. Hope it helps.

>> No.2289892

>>2289548
How is that surprising in any way?
The fact that they're giving away some of their older games for free is more notable.

>> No.2289917

Diablo 1 for single player and Diablo 2 for multi.
Agree?

>> No.2290089

>>2289569
>I personally only play Classic D2 these days
Really? Interesting. What are the advantages of that? My favourite MP build is Werebear rescue tank (Shockwave+Fireclaws for dmg). Is there much of an advantage to meleers in Classic D2?

>> No.2290176

>>2290089
Quite the opposite. It's just super basic, and therein lay the challenge, especially if you play the later patches. I got tired of the items in LoD, and wanted to play something similar to the original Diablo.

Here's the rundown:

- No Act V.
- No Runes.
- No Charms.
- No Druids.
- No Jewels.
- No Circlets.
- No Assassins.
- No Elite items.
- No Ethereal items.
- No increased Bank.
- No increased Stash.
- No Socketed body armor.
- No Class-specific items.
- No weapon toggling/swapping.
- No Crafting or Crafted items.
- No Gambling for Exceptional items.
- No Unique or Set Exceptional items.
- No equipping or healing Mercenaries.
- No Level 30 Skills on Scepters, Staffs, or Wands.
- No Mercenaries travelling from one Act or game to another.
- No Horadric Cube Formulas that require Expansion only items.
- No Socketed, Magical, Rare, Unique, or Set throwing weapons.

- Diablo Clone drops nothing.
- Whirlwind always has a 4 frame animation.
- Dexterity has no effect on Chance to Block.
- Static Field has no penalties in Nightmare or Hell.
- Resistance penalties are -20% in Nightmare and -50% in Hell.
- Rare body armor can get 1 socket with a Cube formula like any other rare item.

- Unique Rings: Nagelring, Manald Heal, and Stone of Jordan only
- Unique Amulets: Nokozan Relic, Eye of Etlich, and Mahim-Oak Curio only

>> No.2290215

>>2289892
True. Even though Lost Vikings and Rock N' Roll Racing are literally SNES ROMs and ZSNES. Not even the Genesis version with more content for LV, for whatever reason.

Still pretty neat though.

>> No.2290880

>>2288465
i recently played it, idk what exact graphic issues you are having but I had to make my desktop wallpaper black while I played and everything was fine

>> No.2290983

I remember when I was a kid playing Diablo I got really upset because enemies kept duplicating when I fought them and I thought my game was broken. I eventually found out it was because I was using a Doppelganger weapon.

I got REALLY upset when fighting the Dark Lord and he kept duplicating though.

>> No.2291018

Is there any /vr/ guide on playing Diablo 1 and 2 in Anno Domini MMXV?

>> No.2291119

>>2290983
Doppelganger weapon?

I've never seen that before.

>> No.2291165

I really like D1, the atmosphere, the music, the gameplay although slower than D2 is still way more enjoyable than it.

D2 felt like a such step backwards in the world and environment, D1 you have a really grim, horrifying, sometimes outright oppressive feelings, and D2 just goes and makes everything feel like a generic by the numbers fantasy world tour. I don't even want to bother articulating how much more disappointing D3 is compared to even D2.

>> No.2291197

>>2291165

D2 kind of sneaks up on you I think, since Act 1 resembles the tone and ambiance of the first game while getting you used to the stuff that's new before sending you off to the later chapters. It's paced well in that regard, and was far less jarring than it would have been if the game started in Lut Gholein or something. The games are markedly different though, and I can see why D2 was the more popular one. It was a good deal more fast and fun to play from a mechanical perspective, and doesn't have the plodding dungeon crawler aspect that doesn't have a wide appeal like D1 does. Would like to see some more isometric games in the D1 style now that many attempts at emulating D2 have been made, but we'll see what happens with that I suppose.

>> No.2291251
File: 127 KB, 640x480, screen05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've spent a silly amount of time looking for jewelry, gold rings of the heavens specifically.

>> No.2291383

>>2291251
How do you farm for stuff in Diablo? I've only beaten the game once, but from what I've played there are only a limited number of enemies to kill. Is there some way to get them to respawn?

>> No.2291396

>>2291383
Play multiplayer, newgame every time. You don't even have to be online.

>> No.2291427

>>2288451
>What really inspired you to grind to hell?
That treasure man shit.

>>2290176
I switched from lod to classic back when the game was still popular because i had to give the key back to a friend. Thanks for reminding me how challenging the original was... where 3 socket p-topaz helms and gull dagger were still useful.

If nobody has posted it yet, everybody here should check out the diablo 1 belzebub project. All original blizzard sprites, 60 frames per second.

Im serious this is really fucking important. That project is a masterpiece. Picture 'Diablo 1.5'. i have sunk over 300 hours into it.

>> No.2291728

>>2291251
>not going with Dreamflange + any Shield of Brilliance to reach over 1k mana and max resists

Although I'm assuming you have Dreamflange there between the KSOH+Stormshield for immunes (with Royal Circlet+switch jewelry enabling you to actually wield the Stormshield).

>> No.2291749

>>2291728
There is a point where the AA staff trumps the Dreamflange in terms of total Fireball damage per full mana potion. (this was a thing for PvP where you would just face each other and spam Fireball until the first guy ran out of mana)

>> No.2291770

>>2291396
>How do you farm in Diablo 1?

>>2291383
What this anon said. Use this to keep track of kills in multi-player:
http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/beancntr.txt

That whole website is great though, and mandatory reading for new Diablo players:

http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/

>> No.2291848

>>2291749
I know of nobody who played Archangel Staff of Wizardry - or at least, not with results - over the Dream+shield because the shield can give you useful stuff and make up for gear deficiencies (perhaps letting you fit a Dragon's Ring of Zodiac over another Obsidian) and because people did a lot of walking left and right to avoid fireballs and going with the "make your fireballs count" approach doesn't work so well in a more tactical environment. Also the alleged homing Fireball trick was popular.

>> No.2291857

>>2291197
One thing I dislike that other games took from D2, or at least exaggerated it was a massive mobs of running enemies right into you. It is silly. It is like they are all racing to be the first in the line of cannon fire.

>> No.2292718
File: 69 KB, 699x472, tristramChurch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2291728
It's a Doombringer instead of a KSOH, it's fun. Same with my AA staff of nova, level 20 Nova just cracks me up. I have enough gear to switch him around if need be.

>> No.2294782

>>2291383
You start a new game with the character. Once you get things down it's easy to rush.

>> No.2296697

>>2288784
Telekill the succubus.
Took alot of mana. But teleport at the same time as clicking to strike in the direction they will be when you appear. This would stun lock them.

Granted you also needed the book, high enough magic. I played for years, actually had a legit warrior at level 36 or 7. Probably still have the save file burned to a disc in my junk.

>> No.2296721

>>2288451
>grind to hell
>not just getting hydra and rushing to diablo
>not vanquishing him from the other side of the wall