[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 879 KB, 876x1285, mother_by_kurkoboltsi-d4alh7z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2277830 No.2277830 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished for the first time Mother 1. I've been holding this series for quite some time and nothing more just than starting at... the start. Anyway, this was a really pleasant experience that definitely goes to my all-time favorites which most of them have one thing in common: being bitch-tears producers. Feels aside, which really caught me off-guard on this one, I really enjoyed the battle system. As someone who has played early FFs installments, I felt glad the "magical" (PSI) skills weren't completely useless besides being the first game of the series.

I don't really have any particular questions about the plot or such, since I made my research like a good anon. Just trying to fill the after-void of finishing a neat game so go ahead, share your experiences with this game while this rolls in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY35y2iL1d8

Think I'll try to pass time playing that 25th anniversary hack now.

>> No.2277837

It's definitely got my favorite setting/time period of the series.

never cared much for mother 3 in that regard, felt like too massive a departure.

>> No.2278083
File: 566 KB, 707x704, Screenshot_2015-03-08-06-25-28-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really enjoyed it. I'll always love Mother 2 the most, but Mother is an amazing game, and has a much better setting, better characters, and better music than Mother 3, in my opinion. The only faults I can personally think of would be the amount of grinding, and the limited inventory. Of course, that's how Famicom era RPG's usually are, so there's that.

>> No.2278159

>>2278083
Mother is grinding free though, besides maybe the street near your house in the beginning when you need to gain a few levels to be able to deal damage. Unless of course you call random encounters fights as grinding or rushing through the game with prior knowledge. Also, how exactly is limited inventory a fault? I loved it, especially when most items were still valuable and not rendered useless by magic system.

>> No.2278938

>>2278159
I completely agree with you, the actual need to organize the limited inventory and decide what to keep or throw away makes everything more real. Much better than your typical endless Felix bag which you have no idea what you're carrying, you're on a quest damn it! You're supposed to have a hard time with your goods.

>> No.2279107

Is it just a vague thing or it's know what exactly happened to Maria, like how she got in that state of amnesia? That was actually her or an after-image, like a stuck tape that just repeats itself?

>> No.2282094

Hey, would you look at this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972481375/mother-the-original-arranged-soundtrack-album

>> No.2282459

>>2282094
How could I not know about this?

But it doesn't matter, I don't live in North America or Europe. Fuck this Brazilian gay jungle!

>> No.2282545

This has been on my "to play list" for a while now. Is there anything that's a need-to-know before I jump in?

>> No.2282741
File: 179 KB, 600x900, 4ab1d596a017d8ced642f12f6ab35a77_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2282545
OP here, all I can say is that it's way more enjoyable without a walkthrough. Most of the game is non-linear too so whenever I felt stuck I would just have a look at a guide for that particular part and that's that.

Also, most people who played both the NES version (MOTHER/Earthbound Zero) and the GBA one (MOTHER 1+2) highly recommends playing the last I mentioned, patched with Tomatoes translation (http://mother12.earthboundcentral.com/).). You can check on the link the improvements over the NES port, as well as the option to make the game less grinding with the Easy Ring.

>> No.2282763

Currently playing the 25th anniversary

i found the girl in the cemetery but got rekt by a tiger at the zoo what sort of level should i be at for the zoo?

and any items that i need to buy from the store in the city?

>> No.2282817

>>2282545
Search for a mother encyclopedia translated by Kenisu, you can have a look at it as you progress through the game. It adds a nice piece of log to it.