[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 174 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2264095 No.2264095 [Reply] [Original]

Honest to god question.

How the hell can you people worship the ground Rareware walks on when all the games they've made are archaic, and just plain tedious?

This isn't challenging, its not satisfying to beat, its just plain annoying and horrible design.

Example: I started DK64 last week, first time ever. Collecting golden bananas isn't too bad, the mandatory checkpoints to keep you from progressing are a bit high, but I guess I can live with that. I was having fun, until I got to K.Rool's door.

Making the rareware coin and nintendo coin MANDATORY is the single handedly dumbest Idea I've ever seen them do, And I thought Needing all the notes to get to grunty in BK was bad, this blew it out of the water! They actually MADE you complete some shitty arcade games they made to get a set highscore before you could even progress? I bought this to play Donkey kong, not Jetpac. Yet, I spent my entire week doing just that: Trying to beat that stupid Jetpac minigame.

I finally sat down and managed to get a high enough score to beat both games, and got to the final boss just now. But now I'm absolutely flabergasted at their decisions here.

>Fight k. rool with all 5 kongs

This is fine, I expected this, but really? The timelimit? I have only 3 minutes for each form? and if I don't beat that form in time I start from scratch?

How in gods name do they expect you to do Diddy's part with shitty n64 jetpack controls AND not take damage, AND within a timelimit. And the worst part is in makes you do it FOUR TIMES.

I've had just about all I can have of this, I just want to beat it and end this nightmare now, but I can't even do that.

Not trying to start a fight here mind you, I just want to actually know how you all can tolerate it, is it pure nostalgia?

Please, enlighten me.

>> No.2264097

>How the hell can you people worship the ground Rareware walks on when all the games they've made are archaic, and just plain tedious?
Stopped reading there. Sure you'll get plenty of bites.

>> No.2264103

>>2264097
Great response. I'm not looking for troll responses I'm looking for answers. Take your "lel this is bait" mentaility back to /v/.

I see nothing but "Rare is king! rare is great!" on this board and I've yet to see it.

>> No.2264107 [DELETED] 

>>2264103
>lel this is bait
Get back to your containment board. They enjoy hating games there.

>> No.2264108
File: 72 KB, 224x215, 1275701928252.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is gonna be fun

>> No.2264113

pretty much, dk64 is a bad game

>> No.2264117

>>2264095
It took you a week to finish the Jetpack and Donkey Kong arcade games parts?

I can't find a reaction image appropriate for this.
I don't even know what to say.

>> No.2264120

Maybe try more than 1 rareware game before slating them?

>> No.2264126

They did make a lot of cash-in "me too" trash on the back of the then-new 3D platformer genre, but there were flashes of brilliance in all of them. And they made the DKC series and fucking Battletoads which rocked, so you can't say everything they made was like that.

>> No.2264127

DK64 is their weakest game

Their best is Conker's, it's a lot less bullshitty but a whole lot more linear on the other hand.

>> No.2264128

As a big Rare fan, DK64 really isn't that great. It holds a place in my art for being a part of my youth, but it has never held my attention. Too much collecting, and I found the level design to be far more bland than in Banjo.

>> No.2264131

>>2264103
I agree with op here,when you express an opinion that upsets someone else they cry "bait!"

Op has clearly mate an effort to play through the game so isn't making stuff up to get a reaction

>> No.2264132

I guess it's really just nostalgia that made me like Donkey Kong 64. I thought it was a great ride at the time. Tried Banjo a few years ago and it wasn't as nearly as interesting.

>> No.2264137

>>2264120
i've played Banjo Kazooie, Twooie, Jet force Gemini, and now this. This just happens to be the worst experience yet.

Banjo was OK for the most part, but ti got really really annoying after finding out I needed all the damn notes jsut to finish the game. The point of a collectathon is to let the player collect, not MAKE them collect. Mario 64 did this perfectly. I don't see why they couldn't. And I won't even get into the final phase of grunty's battle...

Twooie was mostly the same, but the fixed the necessary jiggies, so I appreciate it more.

Jet force gemini was eh. not great, not really noteworthy IMO, just another shooter but with worse controlling.

DK64 is pretty much the OP post. Also the bug races where you not only have to WIN the race, but collect X amount of coins just to continue. If DK64 required all the golden bananas to get to K.rool, I'd have thrown my n64 out the damn window.

>> No.2264142

>>2264127
Thank you for reminding me, I played Conker before any major rare game, looong time ago.

I don't remember much, but I remember liking it because it wasn't collection heavy, it was a solid 3d platformer with a linear direction in which you could explore at leisure. Its really the only OK one in my books.

Goldeneye is different story, I didn't grow up with it, and I'm not huge on shooters, so. it just doesn't interest me. period.

>> No.2264143
File: 876 KB, 244x148, hiFhzVJ.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP, I might have to agree. DK64 was my childhood, I loved the giant worlds, the textures, the design etc. and I tried replaying it a few years later. It was just meh. But I still like Rare's other games, without trying to dickride them.

>> No.2264172

>>2264095
Completely agree.
Its not fun to collect shit for the sake of collecting shit just because the game put a wall infront of you that says "collect x".

Its fun to collect shit for rewards like health or damage upgrades.

Progression is not a reward in and of itself.

DK64 is probably the biggest example of this. Banjo Kazooie and Tooie were like this, (I haven't played Jet Force Gemini) and for some reason people love it.

You can hate Mario64 if you want, but all you had to do was fulfill the mission objectives. Not fulfill mission objectives, AND collect extraneous stuff.

What do you have to collect in Dk64?
>Golden bananas (Mission Objectives)
>Bananas (100 per level... for each kong)
>Coins for purchasing MANDATORY upgrades... for each kong
>Banana Fairies, which I can't remember if they're mandatory or not

Its just terrible. Genuinely terrible. If I didn't have to run through every level multiple times just for teh sake of it with every Kong it would be fine. But I haven't been able to ever go back and replay it for more then just Jungle Japes as DK.

>> No.2264189

>>2264095
> And I thought Needing all the notes to get to grunty in BK was bad, this blew it out of the water!
You don't actually need all the notes to fight Grunty in BK - only 910/1000

>> No.2264190

>>2264172
So much this

>> No.2264207

>>2264172
Don't forget the blueprints that you had to trade in, one per stage for each Kong.

>> No.2264335

>>2264207
Not even.

Don't forget that despite the fact Cranky, Funky, and Candy would upgrade your weapons/abilities for ALL kongs despite what kong you were, yet Snide forces you to switch to every individual kong just to turn them in.

That pissed me off to no end. there was no reason for that.

>> No.2264345

>>2264137
>I needed all the damn notes jsut to finish the game.
you don't need all of them, what are you talking about

>> No.2264353

I can understand where you're coming from OP, but let me be real here for a second about this game.

You only need 75 bananas in each level from each kong until you get the rareware coin from playing jetpac. At that point all banana collecting is for the sake of the bossfights.

Banana fairies are optional, and as soon as you get the ability to farm coins off the dirt patches collecting the coins is a nonissue.

If you spent a week beating donkey kong and getting a paltry score in jetpac, I'm really sorry. This may be the wrong board for you.

DK64 is still a solid 7/10 in my book, just because the collecting is over the top and the levels aren't quite as laser focused as banjo.

>> No.2264361

>>2264095
Honestly OP, DK64 is the definition of tedium. I played it as a kid to the ending, but starting it up again last year I had no idea why I appreciated it before. It's everything you described and more.

The typical Rareware game is much, much better than DK64. I think the people who defend DK64 just do it out of nostalgia or for some extreme love of treasure hunting.

>> No.2264376

>>2264353
funny story there, I don't think I ever got the DK or Jetpac coins when I played it as a kid. Maybe OP is really inexperienced with games?

>> No.2264385

>>2264361
>The typical Rareware game is much, much better than DK64. I think the people who defend DK64 just do it out of nostalgia or for some extreme love of treasure hunting.
It's like you guys are telling me I shouldn't play it so my nostalgia as a kid won't be replaced with angry memories.

>> No.2264413

>>2264376
You need it to fight the final boss. Stop lying.

>> No.2264418

>>2264376
shitposting hard here

>> No.2264428

>>2264376
the only way you can do this is if you somehow figured out the diddy glitch as a kid and then figured how to back jump out of the floor to get the key.

So stop lying.

>> No.2264492

I grew up with an N64 and have a lot of nostalgia for Rare's games, but looking at them objectively they're not very good. My main problem with DK64 (except all the collecting shit) is that they're not really platformers for the most part, they're wandering around simulators.

Jet Force and Blast Crops are legitimately good. I thought Conker's humor was cringe worthy even as a 12 year old.

>> No.2264507

>>2264492
*Blast Corps

I blew it.

>> No.2264534

>>2264335
If you've ever watched the 100% DK64 speedrun is fucking hilarious how long it takes to hand them all in.

>> No.2264538

>>2264507
I saw what you did there, and I like it.

>> No.2264575

>>2264143
Morrissey? In my /vr/?

<3

>> No.2264842

>>2264534
it takes like 5 minutes and theres no way for him to skip it.

shit sucks.

>> No.2265248

>>2264095
I don't and I completely agree with you.

They fucking blow.

>> No.2265574

My friend and I are recently playing this game. It's really rough. We just fought the boss in Crystal Caves.

I did the Jetpac game and it wasn't that hard. Beat it after two dozen tries.

>> No.2265584
File: 30 KB, 382x260, DonkeyKong64CoverArt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2264385
Only one way to know for sure

>> No.2265597
File: 256 KB, 500x502, 1401127693797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2264507
You... blasted it?

>> No.2265601

>>2265574

>two dozen tries

Let me guess: you tried building the rocket and progressing to the next stage, instead of collecting points in the easy first stage, didn't you?

>> No.2265651

I think the major problem with rare games in modern day, is people are uneducated to how they work.

Banjo is a prime example. For those of us who have played it before, we know the drill, we read the manuals, we knew we had to collect X amount of notes per level before moving on.

Most people who start it blind today treat it like a modern game, they go through it scraping the bare minimum requirements in frustration rather then spend time to collect all 100 notes per level before moving on.

So they have say 30 from one level, 50 from another and maybe 10 from the latest, yet can still move on

When they get to grunty's lair, if they don't have 910 notes (or the 1400 for the extra combs which is greatly needed) They're forced to stop progress, and backtrack to ALL the levels they played before just to scrounge enough notes.

I think thats the major issue here, its like say you walked up to school to get to your class, and the teacher shuts the door on you and says "Not until you go back and get straight A's on all your other classes." and keeps you from moving on.

Kids and modern gamers just aren't wired to accept that as a norm anymore because times have changed and games have become progressively easier.

>> No.2265684

>>2265601
Yup, I then didn't know you had to get the DK coin in the Jetpac game and died and had to redo it all again.

>> No.2265729

>>2264492
Conkers humor style is British youth humor. The jokes became bold for us at that time when we had such dry humor, and that was old news for Americans.

>> No.2266274

>>2265651
It's understandable.
Back then, exploring every inch of a level to find every item or secret was part of the gameplay and gave you a sense of wonder.
Nowadays, exploring is a "side quest" that might just give you a little bonus or something, if anything at all.
It seems like the logical evolution of games, but it's still a shame that fine collect-a-thons such as BK basically disappeared.

On the other hand, I agree that DK64 was a chore.
If they'd have made a system like Mystical Ninja on the 64 where you can switch between characters by the press of a button instead of having to find a barrel, the game would probably have been a lot more enjoyable.

>> No.2266301

>>2264095
>shitty arcade games
>shitty
>took you a week

Why are you such a massive faggot? And no i am not defending DK64's tedium, but those are the last reasons you should be complaining about this game.

>> No.2266302

Am I literally the only one who had a blast with this? Jesus.

>> No.2266309

>>2266302
You would know that you are not if you had read the thread

>> No.2266365

>>2264095
For me, it was pure nostalgia. It was a game that I grew up with, so when I finally beat K. Rool this year after picking it up again, I wasn't as pissed.

Though I agree that the final boss fight sucks. If I had played the game at an older age in the late 90s after clearly remembering the DKC games, I wouldn't have liked it.

>> No.2266369

>>2264095
>>2264095
For me, it was pure nostalgia. It was a game that I grew up with, so when I finally beat K. Rool this year after picking it up again, I wasn't as pissed.

Though I agree that the final boss fight sucks. If I had played the game at an older age in the late 90s after clearly remembering the DKC games, I wouldn't have liked it.

>> No.2266374
File: 48 KB, 225x151, Capture2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2264137
Those fucking bug races. They nearly caused me to break my N64 controller.

>> No.2266420

I actually like playing jetpac, I think I still played it some after getting the coin
but I never got the dk coin

>> No.2266532

>>2266301
>Have to get a high score of 50,000
>Not a reward, just needed to get through the game.

Yeah no. if I wanted that i'd pick up an atari game.

>> No.2266540

>>2266420
This was me as a kid. Jetpac was super easy to get the reward from and I enjoyed it a bit, but I just couldn't handle original DK.
A few years ago I decided I'd beat it and did just that, pretty quickly too.

I will say the final boss was total BS and boils down to memorization and luck.

>> No.2266547

>>2266532
That's like an average high score.