Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 2.29 MB, 3917x2108, N64-Console-Set.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2258738 No.2258738 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

When will I be able to emulate this with the accuracy at which I've been able to emulate SNES games since 2004? and GameCube games since 2012

>> No.2258759

>>2258738
Firstly, N64 emulation is still superior to GC emulation in some regards.

Secondly, Project 64 2.2 is under active development. I'm a contributor myself even though I couldn't code my way out of a damp paper bag.

2016, maybe?

>> No.2258767

>>2258759
In terms of highly accurate games, which is arguably the most important factor, Dolphin beats out any N64 emulator out there surely. Just pull up some compatibility lists, it's not even close.

>> No.2258769

>>2258767
>In terms of highly accurate games, which is arguably the most important factor, Dolphin beats out any N64 emulator out there surely. Just pull up some compatibility lists, it's not even close.
N64 is more compatible in that regard. There are heaps of GC\Wii games that are unplayable. (Even if compatibility is improving.) There are zero N64 games that can't be played, even if some can't be finished properly.

>> No.2258785

Why not just buy the original hardware plus an everdrive for N64?

Then you get the entire library with cheats and savestates on original hardware with original controllers with 100% compatibility.

>> No.2258791

>>2258785
Because higher resolutions.
Because quicksaves.
Because PC Master Race and all that.

>> No.2258809

>>2258785
>Why not just buy the original hardware plus an everdrive for N64?
>Then you get the entire library with cheats and savestates on original hardware with original controllers with 100% compatibility.
PAL vs NTSC is a tiiiiiiny bit flaky with an Everdrive for some people. I'd say more like 99% compatibility.

>> No.2258812

>>2258791
Ehh emulation is ok.

I prefer the original hardware and the megadrive-64 supports save states.

You got me on higher resolutions though. No way to get more than 480 analog out of the N64.

>> No.2258818

>>2258785
Money, basically. Doesn't an everdrive go for like $90? I don't know if I have enough N64 games to play to justify that.

>> No.2258825

>>2258812
Considering my obsession with *perfect* game behavior, I have significant regard for real hardware. Make no mistake - Project64 is improving at a surprising rate over the past few months. But there's still that lingering problem of game timings never being quiiiiiite right. (We can't even get the DK Rap to synch properly.) Cen64 will in theory give us near-perfect behavior, but that's a long way off from being usable.

>>2258818
>Money, basically. Doesn't an everdrive go for like $90? I don't know if I have enough N64 games to play to justify that.
How many N64 games have you played? Because there are so many incredible N64 games that for some reason people never bother to play.

>> No.2258835

>>2258825
Not all that many I suppose. I still have an old N64 and controllers somewhere, but I'd need a way to convert it to HDMI or VGA, and one of those everdrives, which seem like the limiting factors financially.

>> No.2258838

>>2258825
>incredible N64 games
Name 20

>> No.2258839

>>2258835

Yeah its gonna be hard either way since without modding the N64 only supports outputs in RF (worst), composite (better) or S-Video (best).

You can mod an N64 if you have the skills to output RGB and then use Euro-SCART to upscale through a converter to HDMI or Component.

>> No.2258849

>>2258838

this, half of the n64 collection is crap, and there are only few really good gems

>> No.2258851

Fuck emulating.

Play the games the way that they were meant to be played.

>> No.2258852

>>2258838
>>2258849
Three of the best ones, SM64 and the Zeldas, have already been remade on later systems as well.

>> No.2258857

I've played a few N64 games on Project 64 1.6, I never had any issues. What exactly is wrong with N64 emulation?

>> No.2258861

>>2258791
>higher resolutions
>on games that are natively SD

CRT or die.

Real hardware or die.

Everdrive is OK though.

>> No.2258864

>>2258838
Not counting Rareware games.

Beetle Adventure Racing.
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness.
Doom 64.
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour.
Fighter's Destiny.
Harvest Moon 64.
H-o-t W-h-e-e-l-s Turbo Racing.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.
Mortal Kombat 4.
Mystical Ninja games (Both of them.)
Ogre Battle 64.
Rayman 2.
Resident Evil 2.
Rocket: Robot on Wheels.
Shadow Man.
Sin & Punishment.
Snowboard Kids.
Space Station Silicon Valley.
Spider-Man.
Supercross 2000.
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo.
The World is Not Enough.
Turok 1, 2, Rage Wars, 3.
Vigilante 8. (And sequel.)
Winback: Covert Operations.
World Driver Championship.
Worms: Armageddon.

>> No.2258870

>>2258838

goldeneye
1080
banjo
tooie
blast corps
body harvest
castlevania
donkey kong
diddy kong racing
excitebike
harvest moon
hybrid heaven
indiana jones
jet force gemini
killer instinct
lylat wars
mario kart
mario tennis
mario 64
mischief makers
mystical ninja
mystical ninja 2
ogre battle
paper mario
perfect dark
pilotwings
pokemon snap
sin and punishment
rush 2049
snowboard kids
spacestation silicon valley
rogue squadron
smash bros
turok
turok 2
turok 3
wave race
yoshis story
zelda

then you have the multiplats many of which were superior on n64 (like TWINE) and weird japanese games like Wonder Project J2

>> No.2258871

>>2258864

You don't need to fall for the bait. N64 threads are always full of loud opinionated e-celeb worshippers, not worth the hassle, just ignore them.

And you forgot Mischief Makers.

>> No.2258872

>>2258857
>I've played a few N64 games on Project 64 1.6, I never had any issues. What exactly is wrong with N64 emulation?
Rampant framebuffer problems, graphics problems all over the place, timing problems, games that don't work, etc.

Things are improving, though.

>> No.2258876

>>2258872
What's the state of mupen64plus and gliden64? Those both seemed to think they could fix the problems with N64 emulation iirc.

>> No.2258880

>>2258871
>And you forgot Mischief Makers.
I didn't list it because I was never really a fan.

>>2258870
>and weird japanese games like Wonder Project J2
Amazing game that one. I've been helping add some of the fan translations and such to the Project 64 rom database so they'll work more easily in future.

Oh, yea, speaking of translations - Animal Crossing for N64. We only have a 90% complete translation, but that game is simply charming on the N64. Tragedy it was never released outside Japan for the console.

>> No.2258885

>>2258861
But you can still get higher resolutions on CRT. I mean, look at the OOT GC port. It runs at a higher resolution than the original, making it look better while still being played on a CRT with original hardware.

>> No.2258886

>>2258880

How is the translation scene these days? Got a place I can go check out?

>> No.2258897

>>2258876
>What's the state of mupen64plus and gliden64? Those both seemed to think they could fix the problems with N64 emulation iirc.
mupen64plus is ticking along. (There's team overlap with PJ64.) But PJ64 is quite rapidly catching up on whatever lead mupen64plus managed to gain due to PJ64 being in development limbo for several years. We're very close to having Infernal Machine working on PJ64. There's a good chance it'll be working without freezes and crashes before mupen64plus manages to fix the freezing problems.

As for GlideN64, that's coming in a month or so. It's promising, but there are... certain problems. There are definite improvements over Glide64, especially the LLE support. But the HLE still has stuff like Turok 2's missing dynamic lighting and the grey square in winback all that jazz. Now there's a chance those problems will be soon fixed. But expectations for the HLE mode should be kept in check. There is definitely talk of GLideN64 becoming the default graphics plugin for PJ64, though.

>> No.2258904

>>2258886
I think the exciting stuff tends to happen on GBAtemp.

There's also a Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 english translation that recently hit beta 3.

Unfortunately, these things are very scattered.

>> No.2258905

>>2258897
Interesting. Also, do you know if there are plans to bring Project 64 to Mac? Virtual machines for N64 games are a pain, and then someone could even make it into an OpenEmu core.

>> No.2258930

>>2258905
That would be rather difficult. Project64 has a shitload of code in it that is very Windows centric. However, this may change at some point. PJ64 is not a bad emulator underneath. And there is a fair bit of cleanup and refactoring going on. Talk of separating the UI from the main executable. Stuff that down the road might lead to the emulator being portable.

In that regard, mupen64plus has a huge advantage because portability was a concern from its inception.

To be frank, Windows vs Linux vs Mac stuff is a huge headache for N64 emulators. Cen64 has had huge problems dealing with OS-centric bullshit. Currently the Windows builds are about 20% slower.

>> No.2258940

>>2258930
Well damn. Though things do seem to be improving as you say, so it'll be interesting to see where things stand a couple more years down the line.

>> No.2260507

>>2258897
Are the GlideN64 trailers and screenshots misleading then? Because they seem to imply fixes for a *ton* of long standing issues. Putting that into mupen64plus, especially with its update coming soon, would probably be a huge jump over anything we currently have.

>> No.2260514

>>2258930
>To be frank, Windows vs Linux vs Mac stuff is a huge headache for N64 emulators. Cen64 has had huge problems dealing with OS-centric bullshit.
They don't just use SDL? Certainly if they're rendering everything in software, they just want a dumb framebuffer to output to.

>> No.2260532

>>2258769
Last time I checked Pokemon Snap was unplayable.

>> No.2260539

>>2260532
Yoshi's Island is *technically* playable but two thirds of the screen are graphical garbage.

>> No.2260543

>>2260539
*Yoshi's Story, obviously

>> No.2260550

>>2260539
>>2260543
story runs perfectly on glide
even the bone lava level

>> No.2260842

>>2258818
Money can't possibly be the issue. OP had enough money to build a time machine in 2004 and bring back an accurate snes emulator and hardware capable of running it.
Since he hasn't been able to do the same for the N64 an accurate emulator must have never even been developed in the future.

>> No.2260854

>>2260507
>Are the GlideN64 trailers and screenshots misleading then?
Yes and no. The plugin is vastly superior to Glide64 and Jabo. It is however not... quite... working right ATM.

>>2260507
>Because they seem to imply fixes for a *ton* of long standing issues.
The biggest fixes involve a totally overhauled method for handling per-frame and unusual framebuffer effects, which are something that has afflicted N64 emulation for quite some time. Glide64 takes a massive performance hit with per-frame framebuffering. GLideN64 doesn't. GLideN64 also supports stuff like accurate mip-mapping.

>Putting that into mupen64plus, especially with its update coming soon, would probably be a huge jump over anything we currently have.
Mupen64plus is a solid emulator, but it's not as if it has huge advantages over PJ64 except for multiple platform support. There was a period where PJ64 was a closed source dead elephant and mupen64plus was making rapid advances, but now the two emulators are kinda evenly matched in terms of compatibility and features. However, mupen64plus is putting a lot of effort into making the emulator work well on Android. PJ64's development effort is going into making the emulator more accurate. (There's also the RSP work, but the two emulators share an RSP developer.)

>>2260514
>>To be frank, Windows vs Linux vs Mac stuff is a huge headache for N64 emulators. Cen64 has had huge problems dealing with OS-centric bullshit.
>They don't just use SDL? Certainly if they're rendering everything in software, they just want a dumb framebuffer to output to.
Because the problems stem from SSE\AVX optimisations and how Windows vs Linux compilation handles that. Also, the weird hardcoded Windows stuff in angrylion's retroarch code.

>> No.2260858

>>2258864
You forgot Duke 64.

>> No.2260865

>>2258738
>GameCube emulation
>accuracy

Pick on and only one

>> No.2261332

>>2260539
>Yoshi's Island is *technically* playable but two thirds of the screen are graphical garbage.
Glide64 runs it decently if you completely disable framebuffer emulation. GLideN64 will apparently run it just fine.

>>2260532
>Last time I checked Pokemon Snap was unplayable.
The reason is twofold.

1: 99% of video plugins don't do framebuffer right. Snap needs proper framebuffering.
2: There's a cheat enabled by default in PJ64 that allows Snap to *run* on that 99% of video plugins but breaks plugins that handle the game properly.
3: If you disable that cheat and use a pixel-accurate LLE plugin such as Angrylion's OpenGL, the game will work. Slowly for most, but it'll work.

No idea how well GLideN64 will run it.

>> No.2261342

>>2258769
> There are zero N64 games that can't be played

Stunt racer 64, world driver championship.

>> No.2261349

>>2258785
This is the way to go,but still accurate emulation is important for the preservation of games.

>> No.2261359

>>2261342
>> There are zero N64 games that can't be played
>Stunt racer 64, world driver championship.
Both playable in modern builds of Project 64. The key to them running is CPU-RSP synch. Or using a hack to help the CPU exit infinite loops.

This issue affects the Factor 5 games as well. Plus, allegedly, stuff like Animal Crossing.

https://github.com/project64/project64/issues/139

>> No.2261364
File: 52 KB, 320x237, NWOE0002.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2261364

>>2261342

>> No.2261731

>>2258864
mortal kombat 4 is fucking trash and you know it, you're grasping at straws here

>> No.2261739

>>2261731

mk4 is the only weak game i see on that list

>> No.2261775
File: 966 KB, 801x4000, 1235851679838.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
2261775

>>2258864
Just post this next time, although i would modify a few things on the image.

>> No.2262829

>>2258785
I could only justify doing this for the nes because I went full goy and bought a powerpak a year ago

>> No.2262924

What are some fun, lesser known multiplayer games to play with friends over netplay? I was thinking about trying wwf no mercy but other than the "big title games" I don't really know what's available

>> No.2262930

>>2261731
>>2261739
What is wrong with MK4, exactly?

>> No.2262994

>>2262930
for one, the roster feels like a downgrade from ultimate/trilogy
weapons and stones are a shitty mechanic
bad cinematics
combo system
I'm actually rather fond of the graphics

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action