[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 58 KB, 620x465, retrogamebooth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2237518 No.2237518 [Reply] [Original]

What is the cheapest /vr/ machine to collect for that isn't saturated with high prices for noteworthy games and doesn't have a high entry price

I'm close to choosing either Gamecube (not retro but will be very soon) or Dreamcast. However, even those consoles are charted territory for me. I want to experience something new without spending 150 USD for good games.

>> No.2237523

I recommend mega drive.
Also, GCN is not retro and will not be, ever. The prices are not cheap in comparison to other retro ventures.

>> No.2237528

>>2237523
>GCN will never be retro.

So retro games are doomed to be in the same vein as classic rock?

>> No.2237529

PlayStation 1

>> No.2237531

sega genesis

>> No.2237534

Playstation and Genesis are reasonable, but they're both starting to rise. There's a /vr/ bubble and we're all suffering.

>> No.2237535

>>2237528
in respect to this board, gamecube will not be retro...ever

>> No.2237538

Maybe the hobby isn't for you?

>> No.2237539

>>2237528

one can only hope

>> No.2237547

>>2237518
PS1 or the second version of that console which is rumored to have been made. The games for PS1 are typically lower in prices compared to nintendo and sega consoles of that era and the same can be said about the later playstation console that may or may not exist.

The fact is that retro consoles from NES up to 2000 have a popular market and most of the rarer titles are pricey.

>> No.2237557

I'd say go NES. Plenty of good games that aren't over $100.

The GCN isn't retro, and the Dreamcast might as well not be either. If you are really wanting that true old game experience, the NES is a cartridge console with 2d graphics and a multitude of beloved simple classic games, but not so spartan from a graphics and game complexity standpoint as to repel more modern gamers.

Sure there are stupidly expensive titles that have become some sort of weird status symbols, but your basic Marios and MegaMan games won't set you back too much.

>> No.2237560

Go with Genesis/Mega Drive or PSX. Tons of games for both, and they are mostly untouched by the NES/SNES retro price inflation.

>> No.2237561

The Gamecube was only discontinued 8 years ago. For reference, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were both out by that time. It's not retro and won't be for a long time.

>> No.2237568

Don't listen to these retards, the Genesis/Mega Drive has had huge spikes recently that haven't dropped. Hyperstone Heist went from 50 CIB to fucking 80. Now the loose price is hovering around 50. The average game is around the 5-10 mark, but anything with a remote following is shot the fuck up in price.

>> No.2237575

>>2237535
Wow. Some of you guys are even bigger faggots than /v/...

Actually, when I think about it, I'd rather deal with endless "MUH FRAME RATE!!!" mustard assholes than exclusionist retards who refuse to let certain old games into their exclusive old game "cool kid" club.

>> No.2237579

>>2237575
Fuck off then.

>> No.2237580

>>2237518
Cheapest right now for a lot of quality titles are

PS2 and PS3 PS1 has a lot of decent titles at reasonable prices, but expect to pay more for popular titles like the Final Fantasies, Resident Evils, and other system seller consoles.

>> No.2237589

>>2237538

>Enjoy old games
>assholes drive the prices up on eBay
>assholes drive the prices up in used shops
>assholes fucking PAY the retarded prices
>try to act elitist about it
Maybe this hobby ISN'T for me. I mean, I (not OP, but apparently him too) am way too smart to spend $45 on a copy of FFVII, witch is the single longest running print ever with literally the most copies of any game in existence. But I'm sure some of you morons would.

Hell, for SOME "le epic retroooo gaems" I'd pay maybe $40-$60. I mean, new games cost that much, and they blow ass. But most retro games are just as bad as new ones, and they cost MORE.

Fuck this shitty "hobby". I'm going back to emulation.

>> No.2237594

>>2237579
>being this mad

Yup. You guys really ARE worse than /v/.

Congrats. I guess...

>> No.2237597

>>2237575
>blaming people trying to enforce the board rules
Bro please. Its just the rules of the board. If people talk non-retro threads get deleted.

>> No.2237606

>>2237575
The board is pre-2000 games. That's just the way it is.You wouldn't bitch about /s not allowing pictures of men since that is not the purpose of said board. This board is for "forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier." Until someone decides to arbitrarily change the rules, /vr is simply board-naming shorthand for "forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier."

>> No.2237608

>>2237594
Wow you called me mad. Damn It's like I'm really on /v/.

>> No.2237610

>>2237589
Good we didn't give a shit about you anyways
>new games cost that much, and they blow ass
No. No you faggot. This is simply not true at all.

>> No.2237618

>>2237589
dude everyone who spends 45 dollars on some retro game is some little faggot buying retro with his parents money or allowance then he's like "well thats capitalism xD". No it's just you're a little shit that money has no meaning to. I probably have one of the biggest PC engine collections on /vr/ and I agree with you prices are too high and the demand is far lower than the supply which is non renewable but still when a game sits on the shelf at the store for over 5 years, maybe your games are expensive. I see lots of shit in retro stores that was there the first time i ever went to those places as a teenager.

>> No.2237620
File: 167 KB, 768x565, 1421206300611.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237534
OP here, how long will that bubble will last? I'm scared I missed my chance to start collecting a long time ago.

>> No.2237630

>>2237618
>Collecting PC engine
>truly only the dead can know peace from this evil

The trick is to bide your time with retro games. You can pick up good fucking deals on eBay should you the time and patience to look. I've sold shit on eBay that I start at 0.99 cents. Last thing I sold was some workable but damaged case art versions of Parasite Eve, Resident Evil 2, then great condition Greatest Hits FFT, black label Armored Core, and black label Tomb Raider revelations and it only sold for 35 bucks.

Conversely I've picked up Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle on PS1 for ~22 a peice from the same dude when they commonly asks 50+ on BiN's.

You just gotta be able to let it go. You can pickup deals. The problem is people are impulsive, and say "I want this, and I want it now" and click the BiN.

>> No.2237631

I don't really care so much about hardware. Emulation for most consoles is good enough at this point where I can enjoy the software with almost zero drawbacks, and that's ultimately all I care about. I totally understand the appeal of owning the actual hardware, but the novelty of owning the hardware isn't worth the asking price in a lot of cases to me, especially when I know I could have bought most of this shit for absolutely nothing just a few years ago. I'll just stick with my emulation and USB adapters for controllers.

>> No.2237634

>>2237620
Bro please. If you're online you've already failed at getting amazing deals.

Hit Craigslist and its sort of the same thing. tbh your only opportunity to get amazing deals is from flea markets or garage sales these days, and those are becoming fewer and further between.

Prices are only going to rise online, until they cap out. Although the playstation market has been fairly stable for the past few years, mostly because playstation was when games really started to get mainstreamy and games numbers usually ran a lot higher.

>> No.2237638

>>2237523
I second Mega Drive, been picking up loads of cheap games for it lately, baffling in comparison to the prices of most snes games

>> No.2237652

>>2237634
I live in a very desolate part of the country/state. My problem is unique and I guess I'll have to settle with online markets or traveling 100 to 200 miles to look for good deals.

>> No.2237653

>>2237518
>gamecube
>not being saturated with high prices

top fucking kek, m8. Gamecube stuff is overpriced to hell. Worse than N64 by a longshot. Have fun paying 25+ for every single first party game, and upwards of 50+ for desirable games like smash bros melee. The only thing cheap on gamecube is the base console itself.

Hell, even multiplats on gamecube cost like twice as much as the same versions of games released on PS2 or Xbox.

If you want something cheap to collect, go with PS2. Not retro, but everything currently considered retro is overpriced.

>> No.2237663

>>2237653
Don't forget Wavebirds. Wavebirds are insanely overpriced.

>haven't bought a GC game since i owned it.
>sold it for 20 bucks when I got a wii
>bro hated wired controllers so he ended up buying 3 wavebirds for 15 bucks from his stoner friend

Man.. even regular GC controllers are insanely expensive. I sold 2 busted ones to some guy (under "untested" guise since I said I didn't have a GC anymore (which is true)) for 40 bucks.

I agree with the PS2 statement. Some fucking great games on PS2 that are dirt cheap, the library is also fucking massive and most games had a big print run so unless you're looking for games like Rule of Rose (which is my most expensive PS2 game) you're going to find something you like.

>> No.2237669

>>2237652
What like Alaska?

I live in Northern BC and I'm technically more likely to find deals since people are usually less tech savvy up her, but the deals are a lot fewer and far between. Online is always the best way to find stuff you want, but if you're not willing to drop money on the BiN you may be waiting a long time, its just the reality of anything really.

>tfw Amazon prime has made my life here like 10x better

>> No.2237672

>>2237589
This is why I emulate. I'm playing for the content. Fuck paying collector's market prices.

>> No.2237680

IMO its stupid to start a collection from nothing. Only buy additional games for something that you already have games from way back when, because then you're just adding a SELECT few games to what you already have, instead of needing to buy all the desirable games now.

For instance, I still had all my N64 stuff from when I was younger. When I got around to adding more games, all I did was buy a couple more and leave it at that. I can't imagine how much I would've spent if I bought all those ridiculously overpriced N64 games now.

IF you are going to buy a new console, don't collect its games. Flashcarts have a high up-front cost but are cheap as hell in the long run. 10 dollars here and 20 dollars there and suddenly you've spent hundreds of dollars on fucking plastic cartridges.

>> No.2237690
File: 2.26 MB, 1936x2592, 1423829339401.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237680
As a kid I've always sold my old console off when I was getting a new one.

I want to kick myself for it.

>> No.2237691

>>2237680
I agree with Flashcarts for the most part.

Although for me I don't like them because I get overwhelmed. If I have my library I can look and pick something based on my mood, where as scrolling through hundreds of roms makes the task needlessly arduous.

>> No.2237695

>>2237589
Give it five years, the market will have crashed by then, prices will be lower and all the bastards will flee the hobby.

>> No.2237705
File: 61 KB, 500x375, 2446151246_e1d24b247e[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237518
OP if you haven't gotten yourself an answer I happen to be an expert on the topic (in addition to many other /vr/ topics. This one comes up a lot with younger people I know. I'm going to give you two dollar amounts. The first will be what you can expect to spend for a decent deal on Craigslist for some bro selling one with a handful of games included and the second is what it will cost you to modify it to play all the games. I'll rank them straight-up by price then very briefly talk about their strengths and weaknesses.

Dreamcast: $20 + $0 + Blank CDs. Dreamcast is absolutely the cheapest system to get into because most consoles will run burned discs with no modification. The library is relatively small but good. You may not want it because it's pushing the boundary between retro and modern - but hey, it has native 480p support!

Playstation - $10 + $10 + blanks. Playstations are a dime a dozen because of 2 and 3's backward compatibility. Get a slim and a $10 boot disc like PS-X-Change or a fat with a parallel port for a game enhancer like Goldfinger and swapping out burned games is a snap. If you have any soldering skills a good old fashioned mod chip can also be had for under $10. The library is certainly among the best or at least most vast of any console ever, with plenty of 2D sprite games and tons of primitive 3D games. Truly a pivotal console.

Genesis: $20 + $60 and/or SNES $30+$60. These two guys were the height of 2D and went head to head in the bloodiest console war ever and came out pretty even. The scene's common wisdom right now is that the SNES was better and real carts for it are considerably more expensive, though honestly Genesis has been rising a lot lately while SNES has stayed the same or even dropped slightly. You can get a chinese Everdrive clone for either one of them for $60 though and that's a hell of a deal. They're both amazing and having both is having an entire moment in history preserved.

>> No.2237716

PC engine
The initial high cost of the console if offset by how fucking cheap the games are.

>> No.2237720

>>2237528

I certainly hope so

OP I reccomend Genesis

>> No.2237727

>>2237695
>people said this 5 years ago
>prices have all risen because of hipsters
I blame VC a bit for the exposure to regular folk. Most people would just emulate SNES since its braindead easy.

>tfw will never get a copy of EVO search for eden (rare to even see it on ebay), or Hagane (lots of nip copies, rare to see a good english), I couldn't give less of a shit about Earthbound (common as fuck on ebay)

>> No.2237739

>>2237727

Bubble wasn't here five years ago, or at least not in the same way. Shit started probably mid 2011

>> No.2237741

>>2237705
That opening paragraph was so fucking pretentious I just stopped reading.

Jesus Christ, what a shithead

>> No.2237761

>>2237518
dreamcast, psx

saturn if you get JP titles

>> No.2237769

>>2237739
I started buying super famicom games in 2010 because I thought the prices were retarded then.

>> No.2237776
File: 44 KB, 852x513, XwR4X7H[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237705
32x: (Genesis + $30) It has a small library with very few stand out titles

Sega CD (Genesis + $30 + Blanks) It also has a small library but it's stand-out titles are really really good. Some terrific examples of early multimedia games

3DO: ($60 + Blanks) This also has a pretty small library and was basically a failed system. It wouldn't be the best first console to get but it does run burned games unmodified, there are 100+ games for it and it's... unique. I like mine pretty good. If you're getting into retro gaming purely for special snowflake cred this would be the one to do it with.

CD-i: ($100 + blanks) Kind of like 3DO but shittier. Its main claim to fame is that it has some sub-par (but snowflakey) Nintendo licensed games on it. I don't play mine (largely because I don't have a gamepad for it)

Atari 2600 ($50 + $100) Atari is pretty primitive and not really for everybody. You have to really appreciate simplicity and pure game design to enjoy most of the library though there are plenty of gems everyone can enjoy as well. Also you'll end up getting a ton of games with any used 2600 you buy on Craigslist because of the crash, games were like fifty cents for a long time so everyone that had one got a ton of games.

Motherfucking NES: ($40 + $160) The NES is, of course, the ultimately fashionable retro console. There ain't a 3DO controller belt buckle. If you buy a $40 front loader on Craigslist you'll probably need to learn to maintain it and you can't use a Chinese Everdrive without a $20 converter so most people will just advise you to get an AV Famicom and a Chinese N8 Everdrive. It's the best, most reliable way to go but you'd be missing out on having that iconic NES front loading console. However you want to do it, it's something to consider because it also has one of the best and most vast libraries, stepping sprite games up a notch.

Neo Geo MVS ($100 + $150) MVS arcade hardware is cheaper than the AES console and there are huge multicarts.

>> No.2237778

>>2237606
But that's retarded to begin with. Why would you base the rule on something like a fixed date. If it were X amount of years ago, or Y amount of generations of consoles ago, that would make sense. But just saying that everything before 2000 is retro, and everything after it will never be retro ever is just fucking stupid, because these things change with time, which is the exact fucking reason it's retro.

>> No.2237780

>>2237741
I realized how pretentious it sounded that's why I provided bulletpoints. You know you skimmed them.

>> No.2237791

>>2237776
>Neo Geo MVS ($100 + $150) MVS arcade hardware is cheaper than the AES console and there are huge multicarts.

If you're seriously recommending Neo Geo just recommend NeoGeo-CD.

Load times suck, but the prices are waaaaaaaaay cheaper, and if you decide to upgrade, the peripherals are the same.

>> No.2237795

>>2237791
No fuck that. If you're going to do that just emulate instead.

>> No.2237839

>>2237791
If you got an MVS you would be getting a full-size arcade cabinet.

>> No.2237902
File: 594 KB, 1433x4900, guide.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-VCS-Game-Lot-17-Game-Cartridges-Some-RARES-All-working-/191509690303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c96ddf7bf

The 2600 is still cheap, mostly because nobody likes it.

>> No.2237930

>>2237518

NES, honestly. Consoles and accessories are cheap and easy to find, and the best games rarely go for over $20.

>> No.2237951

>>2237518
>cheapest /vr/ machine to collect for
2600. Dirt cheap console/game. Reasonable sized library. Higher than average hipster cred.

>>2237589
>Claim to enjoy old games
>Bitch about ebay prices instead of burning a disc
>closet collectorfag detected

>>2237620
>how long will that bubble will last?
Until people learn how to buy from something other than ebay. So forever.

>>2237630
>bide your time
This guy gets it. I built up a massive collection for fuck all over the last couple years by only buying in flea markets and never paying more than $2 for a game or $10 for a console.
>"I want this, and I want it now"
After I got my first PCE I was jonesing for a CD so bad I almost bought one for $100. But I waited. 3 months later I picked up two sets of IFU, CD and console for $20 each.

>> No.2238037

>>2237741

cmon dude its 4chan let the guy be a sperg, at least he gave a nice and detailed list

>fucking flea markets around me want $100 for a NES with mario/duckhunt

>> No.2238043

I've started collecting famicom games and have found it to be very cheap. Often you can buy lots of 4 with each game being $3 or less. Sometimes you can find individual games on eBay with free shipping for 2 or 3 dollars.

The expensive games are usually $20 or less, and the carts are colorful and often have better art than nes counterparts.

>> No.2238056

>>2237580
>Final Fantasies
Really? I paid $3 for VIII a few months ago.

>> No.2238073

>>2238056
Any easily recognizable brand name is going to command more then it should.

FF7/8/9 all had huge print runs. They aren't rare by any stretch. FF7 was the single largest printed game on the PS1 iirc. Which means it should be way lower value then it is, but its also probably the first game anyone considers buying on the PS1 who had one as a kid because everyone had it.

>> No.2238234

>>2237780
>>2238037
Fair enough, I suppose my autism kicked in...

>> No.2238238

>>2237778
Too bad you don't make the rules

too bad you're kinda right too

>> No.2238242

>>2237778
Stuff does not change. You don't put 90s Tonka trucks with ones form the 50s. They'll never be the same.

>> No.2238273

>>2237518
3DO, consoles are relatively cheap and you can burn all of the games thanks to no copy protection.

Also, MS-DOS games are pretty easy to obtain and pretty easy to run via DOSBox.

>>2237580
And this guy is right about the non-retro systems specified, stuff is still really cheap for maybe a year or two more.

>> No.2238275

>>2237951
oh shit, forgot about 2600.

Has great homebrew if you want to spare for a harmony cart, and after that you could just not buy the 50 cent to 2 dollar carts.

>> No.2238280

>>2238273
Though actually it appears that 3DO are really expensive, at least on ebay. Guess I benefited from my friend giving me his old one.

>> No.2238303

>>2237778
I kinda enjoy watching teenagers get mad because their childhood systems aren't allowed on here.

To be fair, it would be nice for people to have yet another /v/ for modern, non-current consoles. /v2k?

>> No.2238306

>>2238303
>/v2k/
I like it!

>> No.2238309
File: 86 KB, 640x480, 059sonic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237518
Nintendo anything has been skyrocketing lately, but SEGA and Sony games/systems have stayed at a consistent low price. Even the PS1 Mega Man games are dirt cheap compared to their predecessors on the NES and SNES. Boxed games are also much easier to find for SEGA and Sony systems as they didn't use disposable cardboard unlike Nintendo.

>> No.2238313

>>2238303
I like the idea, but 360 and especially PS3 are still very active platforms. It would mainly be good for sixth-gen consoles and the Wii, but you can always talk about them on /v/ anyway.

>> No.2238336

>>2238313
Yeah, I was just under the impression that /v doesn't like to talk about PS2/XBOX/GCN etc stuff (granted I do not visit said board). However, I really think including them here would be a bad idea. I feel like the majority of regular /vr users are happy with things they way the are. Also, given that I imagine a large, active, and aggressive portion of 4chan's modern userbase are mid-late teens, I think allowing their childhood consoles to be discussed on here would lead to the board getting immediately flooded with PS2/XBOX/etc threads and users who have little appreciation for games made before 2000, thereby killing a lot of the discussion that currently goes on here.

>> No.2238356

Master System: This has been cheap for a while so get while you can
Genesis: still affordable not really cheap but better than SNES in terms of prices overall
PS1: Sony releases nearly all their titles on PSN so it benefits us and many of those titles sold a lot of copies so there are always around
2600: Depends but sometimes you can get a good deal on some of the classic
DC: Some games are cheap while some of the bigger ones are still around 20-45 range which isnt bad i guess??
Non /vr/
PS2: Prices have been going up slowly but some titles are cheap
xbux: Dirt cheap and look better than PS2 get em while ya can most games go for like 3-10 bucks usually CIB
back to /vr/ I keep hearing rumors that nes prices are going down slowly can anyone really confirm that?

>> No.2238360

>>2238303
>Wanting more video game boards

We have enough.
Also, retro is subjective and board rules will more than likely change over time.

>> No.2238361

>>2238360
>retro is subjective
It's not. Why do people keep saying this?

>> No.2238369

>>2238361
Is there a final authority to what is old school video gaming? Some say it has to be two to three generates apart from current gen while others say it has to be old enough to where your dad can recognize it.

>> No.2238384

>>2238369
It's more a common terminology. You don't group 80s figures with tin toys from the turn of the century. You don't group the early consoles with 6th gen.

>> No.2238389

>>2238384
But those groups still fall under retro in the dictionary sense: those consoles come from an earlier time. They are all retro but vary in degrees of "retro".

>> No.2238395

>>2237523
>Also, GCN is not retro and will not be, ever.
Ur a dumb fuck. Over time, the PS4 will even be retro.

The GC is currently retro, just not by /vr/'s rules.

>> No.2238396

>>2238389
It's a different era both by technology and time. Pre 2nd millennium. There are far more differences than there are commonality between even 5th vs 6th gen. You would have to have a personal agenda to have your opinion be that 6th gen should be called retro.

>> No.2238402

>>2237608
>Wow you called me mad. Damn It's like I'm really on /v/.
Quit shit posting and go back to /v/,

>> No.2238403

>>2238395
Retro doesn't mean old. It's an era.

>> No.2238407

>>2238395
Please return to /v/ if you're looking to shitpost

>> No.2238414

>>2238402
>>2238403
>>2238407

Pretentious old men playing at running the world.

>> No.2238415

>>2238407
>Please return to /v/ if you're looking to shitpost
You just shit posted again. Please leave.

>> No.2238416

>>2238403
>Retro doesn't mean old. It's an era.
LOL. I've heard it all now.

>> No.2238418

>>2237523
>>2237528
>>2237561
>>2237594
>>2237608
>>2237618
>>2237653
>>2238402
>>2238414

>>>/v/

>> No.2238421

>>2238416
>>2238414
You want to call 6th gen retro? Name me ten common attributes that 6th gen has with the prior generations that separates it from the later gens.

>> No.2238437

>>2238421
>You want to call 6th gen retro? Name me ten common attributes that 6th gen has with the prior generations that separates it from the later gens.
The fact that a lot of people grew up with those systems over a decade ago. "Retro" is a word that means things that are imitative of things in the past. The GC is over a decade old. It is against /vr/'s rules to discuss that console, and other 6th gens, but they will one day be talked about just like the NES is talked about today (retro).

>> No.2238443

>>2238437
They may be talked about but they will never be the same.

>> No.2238447

>>2238443
>They may be talked about but they will never be the same.
Get off my lawn!

>> No.2238452

>>2238443
I agree. Honestly, "retro" is a bit broad of a term, and honestly a bit pointless. Grouping N64 and PS1 with the NES is kinda strange honestly, just like lumping in the NES with the old Atari consoles or Pong consoles seems strange. But, it is what it is, and people who are fans of Atari will probably find more common ground with a NES fan than an XBOX kid.

>> No.2238458

>>2238452
As a whole though a 1st gen pong consoles has a lot in common with a N64. Not os much when you get to 6th gen +.
Such as proprietary game medium. In the case of the pong console you have 1 game. Depending on the specific console of course.

They were also both trying to bring the arcade home still in some effect.

Probably most importantly you didn't need a day one updated to play that pong game or have some $5 dlc for different color paddles.

>> No.2238471

>>2237951

2600 has many many games that get incredibly pricey since many games had very small often regional distribution.

>> No.2238503

Genesis, PSX, and maybe Atari/Commodore stuff. All of it is starting to rise in price. GCN prices has already been ruined.

It's pretty much already too late for new collectors to get anything for a decent price.

>> No.2238521

>>2238471
I doubt that's what OP meant by noteworthy. The majority of games go for a buck or less at garage sales and maybe $5 CIB on ebay.

>> No.2240445
File: 168 KB, 960x900, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's it like to collect for Game Boy/GBC? I'd like to build my collection (also maybe get a Game Gear someday).

>> No.2240465
File: 35 KB, 476x318, tumblr_lfezjwg88p1qa7yfto1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237741
>>2237741

>> No.2240470

>>2240465
lol, that wasn't trolling. that was honesty.

>> No.2240476

>>2237518
It has probably been said in this thread many times, but I will say it again. The Genesis is probably the cheapest retro system to own and buy games for.

Lot's of great shmups and platformers for under 15 dollars. And even it's best RPG's like Phantasy Star IV, and Shining Force I and II can be found for under 40 bucks, with PSIV being sold for around 20.

If any of those games were on the SNES, they would probably go for 80-150 bucks.

>> No.2240482

>>2240445
Gameboy and Gameboy Color are super cheap to collect for, with games ranging from a penny to 20 dollars at the most for the best titles on Amazon.

Plus the Gameboy Color can be purchased for around 15-20 dollars in really good condition.

>> No.2240514

>all the people who don't understand the demand portion of supply and demand

>> No.2240520

>>2240514
But Nintendo games are different. You go to Ebay and look up Earthbound, and see just how many copies of this game are for sale. There is not really a huge demand for it, and the game isn't exactly rare, but it's partly due to the fact that it's overrated, and partly because it's a fucking Nintendo game.

Same thing goes for Mega Man X3 and Chrono Trigger.

>> No.2240597

>>2238336
hm where can we discuss ps2 games tho? legit question, not tryna start shit

>> No.2240609

>>2240597
/v/, and if /v/ doesn't want to cooperate you need to go somewhere besides 4chan. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that's the reality of it.

Maybe eventually they'll add a new board for 6th and 7th gens. Just adding everything that isn't current to /vr/ would make it way too broad of a board. /vr/ should stay 20th century.

>> No.2240640

This thread went full crap somewhere along the line. That being said, here is some advice.

The cheapest console to collect for is the one that is currently the previous gen. From there the price will slowly rise, that's the way it's always been.

>/vr/ machine to collect for that isn't saturated with high prices for noteworthy games
Famicom. Not NES, Famicom. Thanks to the way the used game market works in Japan, you can get a cheap Famicom and tons of great titles for cheap. Far cheaper than the NES versions. You can import a Famicom through ebay for $65, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere. Most of the games are dirt cheap, even cheaper if you don't mind minor cosmetic damage.

It's too late to get into most older consoles these days, your best bet is to just get the console and an everdrive. The Famicom is one of the few exceptions, thanks to Japan's rental laws. The Super Famicom is also somewhat cheap, but it's been getting hit by SNES collectors looking for lower prices.

>> No.2240740
File: 64 KB, 600x600, 1176653_WfZHzKb0Jmra0cLD5GLkEfEIXYWY72QiiTPzHcSC1XY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2237518
That looks exactly like the game store I grew up with. Even has the same siding on the walls, pic related

>> No.2240750

>>2240740
Wait what the fuck? Is that Cedar Hills?

>> No.2240757

>>2237716
Uh, the games are pretty expensive; at least by JP standards. Some titles (Magical Chase/Hi-Leg Fantasy I'm looking at you) go for pure fantasy prices.

>> No.2240770

>>2240757
Yeah but magical chase is -actually rare-. Afaik it was mail order only, which presumably means they probably either had an insanely low print run, or made them to order which is even more absurd.

Compare the number of current listings on eBay.
Magical Chase
>2 magical chase for PC-Engine NTSC-JP
>1 magical chase for TG-16 NTSC-UC
>2 magical chase for gameboy colour JP

Earthbound
>over 30 copies of Earthbound in NTSC-UC before I stopped bothering to count
>didn't even bother the Mother 2 copies

>earthbound
>people are asking like 250+ now
>even at 200 it was absurd
>the price and amount of copies have both gone up
I don't understand

See Earthbound is not rare, and should not command such a high price. EVO, and Hagane, where you're lucky if you can find 2 copies of NTSC-UC on ebay.

>hagane
>1 english copy
>bunch of JP copies

>check evo
>apparently theres like 5 copies on rigtht now or something
Thats odd.. people must be coming out of the woodwork for the prices.

>> No.2240882

Oh hi, European here running out of GB and GBC games to play. Pricing here is too damn high compared with USA and I will be visiting the USA in the next weeks.

I have an address for shipping, what online stores I can check to buy a good lot of GB/GBC games for those prices you are always talking. Thank you.

>> No.2240903

>>2240750
considering the fact that it has the exact same consoles and a visionworks directly behind it, I am almost certain that anon is at GT

>> No.2240908

>>2240770
You have not-so-rare games being very expensive on PC engine too.

Only the US version was mail-order, the JP version isn't nearly as rare, it's only that expensive because it's US cousin is hyped as fuck.

Also Cotton is also pretty expensive at around between $20-30 (or more depending on shrewdness of seller).

Also Kiki Kaikai goes for somewhere around $30-$60, which is usually expensive enough to be in the glass case by JP standards.

But hey, I consider pretty much anything over $10 or so pretty expensive (JP standards).

Famicom games go for like $1~$3 on the cheap end. You'll be hard pressed to find even a loose HuCARD for less than $5.

>> No.2240909

>>2240770
Magical Chase US was sold in stores, but it just had an extremely small print run and no advertising whatsoever.

Even more insane than MC are US Metal Slug AES and EU Kizuna Encounter AES, both of which only can be acquired these days with connections and trust(due to almost perfect counterfeits) and the price of multiple cars.

>> No.2240912

>>2240908
The cheapest you can get is probably either Super Famicom or Mega Drive as both the console and the games tend to be very cheap.

At least you can burn CDs for the PC Engine to save some bucks, but I wouldn't call the PC Engine a cheap system to collect for by any means. Sure it isn't NeoGeo, but it is definetly a step above Super Famicom and Mega Drive and perhaps even Famicom in terms of price of games.

>> No.2240973

>>2240770
That's not odd, that's how supply works. The higher prices go, the more people want to sell.

>> No.2242109
File: 123 KB, 640x290, gametrader.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2240903
>>2240750

Yes that is Game Trader. Fucking miracle store of my childhood. Beaverton Mall used to kick ass, GT even had tvs built into the wall on the other side of the shop that showed off game footage, it impressed the hell out of me as a kid.

How about that asian t shirt shop next door I always thought it was a front for the mafia because I never saw a single person buy anything, just that lonely dude at the counter watching tv. I actually did buy a custom pressed shirt from him, it worked out well but I was scared to death that I would be killed for trying to buy something from a fake storefront

Anyway, fellow beaverton anons, good to meet you. Did OP pic not make you think GT when you saw it? Am I crazy?

I forgot I found a better pic than GIS turned up in my stash

>> No.2242120
File: 12 KB, 218x340, beaverton mall tower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2242109
off topic bump for beaverton friends, I also have pics of the original coin waterfall/pools and the Scamps store. If you're interested I'll make a /soc/ thread.. Remember getting birthday coupons and getting a free goldfish/donut/pencil etc?

>> No.2242140

>>2237518
Ps1 majority of the games are still pretty cheap

>> No.2242324

>>2240445
Someone in the BST thread has a gamegear listed

>> No.2242506

>>2242120
Oh jeez the birthday donut and goldfish I just had a nostalgia attack

>> No.2242508

Original Gameboy games are usually super cheap, especially if you collect out of box games. Usually the only overpriced ones are Gen 1/Gen 2 pokemon games

>> No.2242542

>>2242508
this

>> No.2242547

>>2237518
Depends op what part of the world are you living in?

>> No.2242561

>>2237518
Atari 2600 hands fucking down. No one collects for it and most of the good games are common. You shouldn't pay more than $5, maybe $10, for games.

>> No.2243242

game.com

You said collect for, not good

>> No.2243272
File: 9 KB, 180x172, 180px-THRILLHOUSE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Get outbid on Ebay for a copy of Flashback on the Megadrive with £10 as my max bid.
>2 weeks later see it for £2 at my local Cash Generators.
>mfw

People are right, it's just about patience, even on ebay good deals come along. Just look at the sold auctions, you'll see some items sold for significantly less than they would normally for whatever reason.

But if you want a collection over night then expect to pay a premium for that.

>> No.2243294

>>2237518
Game Boy Color. Only a few games are super expensive.

>> No.2243295

Probably anything Sega, namely the Genesis. Most retro enthusiasts only really care about Nintendo and not much else. At some point I plan on geting an Everdrive flash cart for mine, just because I don't have much of an interest in the "collecting" aspect of it and it does away with the need for changing out carts

>> No.2243302

Master System seems pretty cheap from what I've seen. I haven't looked into the prices enough to say with any certainty, but I'd wager it's cheaper than the Megadrive/Genesis.

>> No.2243334

>>2243302
The problem with the Master system though is that there are only a handful of games for it, excluding the ones that are backwards ports of genesis/mega drive games

>> No.2243338

This thread is why I love/vr/. Op, get atari Jaguar, nobody loves it so games are sold really cheap

>> No.2243469

>>2242109

GT has a demo display of Resident Evil 3 in the corner of the store one of the employees always gives me hope on a chance the owner would sell it to me. But that never comes to anything. Great store to buy games but horrible with trade ins. They tried to give me 5 bucks for Mutant League Football CIB which was creeping up to 40 at the time. They've hooked it up though, 15 bucks for 2 wireless genesis controllers with the hub thing pretty damn close to mint. They have untouched SEGA Team Players(MK-1654) for 10 bucks. No one has scummed them out of them to make a quick buck on ebay yet which is nice.

Retro Game Trader is the opposite, best trade/cash you'd get from a store but prices are jacked up for everything. They recently started pricing lower depending on how many copies they have of a game which is nice, but their boxed Genesis games are higher than ebay BIN's and then some. I'm more disgusted with the retards that buy those games at those prices more than anything. I used to buy Genesis stuff there when they first opened. Where a game like The Punisher would go for 35 bucks. Now They have Mutant League Hockey going for 120 dollars, it's ridiculous.

>> No.2243483

I wish the retro market got flooded with fakes, in the same way that the market for Gen 3 Pokemon games have.

>> No.2243503

>>2243338

Noone loves it because it doesn't have good games.

>> No.2243517

>>2237705

I think Anon wants to collect for the system though. That means Everdrives, Modchips etc are not really an option

>> No.2243578

I still think NES is probably the easiest to get a decent library for. Buying a lot for a decent price ususally gets you a good amount of the basic stuff you'd want, along with controllers and maybe a Zapper. But I do most of my buying locally. Hunting garage sales, Goodwill type places, and retro stores. Buying online is kind of shit now. But over the last 5 or so years NES has dried up quite a bit locally.

PS1 and sometimes Dreamcast are more common now, with pretty good prices except the big games like Final Fantasy or Resident Evil.

Gamecube seems pretty good currently too. I don't see it constantly but even retro stores price a lot of stuff pretty low. I'll pick up games from time to time as low as $2. Even good games are cheap sometimes. Just saw Metroid Prime 1 for $3.

If you happen to get around different cities some I can't downplay Goodwill and other donation style places. I was down in Toledo the other day and I found a perfect condition import PC Engine CD game for $3. Only problem here is total randomness. A lot of the time there is nothing or only Genesis sports games, and good stuff comes and goes fast. And with disc systems you almost always have to dig through the CDs. I tend to find controllers most often, for pretty much everything. A lot depends on your area too. Lately I've been finding a lot of decent boxed PC games, along with a lot of Wii stuff, and for some reason old anime DVDs from the mid 90s. Also found Pokemon Yellow for $3, GBA games, some nice Mario pins, a SNES turbo controller, third-party PS3 controllers, Donkey Konga drums, a ton of DDR games and mats, and a few Wii Balance Boards in just the past couple weeks.

That's the biggest thing. If your collecting locally your selection is going to be widely different for the most part. I'm in Michigan, and we somehow have FIVE retro stores in my shitty town, so it's pretty picked over here. If you only have one decent shop in town, more people will have old stuff.

>> No.2243607

>>2237663
>I sold 2 busted ones to some guy (under "untested" guise since I said I didn't have a GC anymore (which is true))
>I sold 2 busted ones to some guy under "untested" guise

Ugh. Just fuck you. Sellers like you are the reason there's no magic left, no reward to risk,

>> No.2243615

>>2237691
Load the rom cart up with 5 or 10 games at a time. Rotate them when you're bored.

Romcarts are much more exciting if you practice restraint and don't get overwhelmed.

>> No.2243626

>>2237663

fuck you you scum

>> No.2243631

>>2238389
It would be a lot easier if we dropped the term "Retro gaming" (since Retro is such a faggy word I feel like a kotaku reader every time I say it).
Coining a new term would make it easier for people to understand why it's not a sliding scale, that Gamecube will get old enough that people will consider it a "Retro" console, but that doesn't mean it belongs with the NES and Master System.

I'm not seriously suggesting we change name.

>> No.2243638

Listen up, dumbshit Xbox kids:

Retro games are pre 2000.
Gamecube will one day be 30 years old but it will not suddenly become retro because muh passage of time.

In the same way that 200 years from now, Lady Gaga will not become "Classical Music".

It's not about its relative age, it's about the period in which it was made.

>> No.2243640

>>2243607
Oi. You dont know if he specified they were broken or not. Some people will buy the busted shits and fix them up themselves.

As for the answer to the question at hand...NES seems to be pretty cheap. The console itself can be pricey online, but once you get that the games are pretty reasonable. It surprises me NES is less expensive as SNES, since you would imagine NES having the most nostalgic value t people.

But I guess the people searching these things out now are the ones growing up on SNES.

>> No.2243641

>>2243638
This is not true, because someday Gamecube games will have been someones nostalgic childhood. Unless you are arguing semantics, which is a pointless argument.

Someday youre going to be 80 years old and people who are teens now will be waxing poetic about the "good ole days" of gamecube and PS2 vidya. Retro things are only as valuable as the sentimentality people place upon them.

>> No.2243651

>>2243641
again, this is getting hung up too much on the word "Retro" which none of us chose, it's just sort of there.

You have to separate the term "Retro Games" from the general word "retro" to make this distinction.

I don't think it's about nostalgia, though I understand that's a large draw. There are people here who weren't alive when the NES was about who are just getting into collecting it. Tell me that's their childhood nostalgia defining what's retro and what's not.

>> No.2243656

>>2243640
He said he sold busted controllers as "untested".
Which specifically means

"This might work, it might not, I don't have the equipment or knowledge I need to find out either way."

He knew they were busted and sold them as "I have no idea if they work or not" and that's bogus.

>> No.2243658

>>2243641
>>2243651
i guess only time will tell if retro refers to a specific set of generations or games or wether it refers to any games older than a specific amount of time

>> No.2243661

>>2243651
I guess in the end what makes "retro games" important is who makes the market for it, and if it constitutes both nostalgic people and those who never had it, then you would be correct.

However even then, these types of circumstances will be placed upon gamecube/PS2 and later systems eventually, I think. People will have grown up without ever playing super mario sunshine, and will search it out.

So one day, these games will fit into that category, whatever label one wants to place on it.

>> No.2243690

>>2237589
Welcome back to the Land of the Reasonable and Financially Responsible, anon.

>> No.2243701

>>2237518
>the cheapest /vr/ machine to collect for that isn't saturated with high prices for noteworthy games and doesn't have a high entry price

What is Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Games are cheap as fuck. Same goes for the system.

>> No.2243727
File: 456 KB, 1600x1200, 1335717118916.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2243661

I don't think I'm explaining my point of view clearly.

I don't think that how I, you or old men feel about the games defines whether they are retrogames or not.

I don't think that how long it's been since they were released defines whether a game or console is retrogames or not

I think they are tied by common practices, themes and limitations of the last quarter of the 20th century, which is why I make the comparison to Classical music.

A new piece of music written for orchestra is not classical. It can be written in the classical style and contain many concepts popular in the classical period. In 200 years that piece will not be classical. Classical refers to the original set time period as much as the other hallmarks, it's a closed group.

It just happens that the title Retro Games includes a title word "retro", so it's tempting to argue that it's a constantly-updating set of goalposts.

However, I do think it's probably a little too early after 2000 for my word to be the final say on what is and isn't retro. I know I'm just one fag with an opinion.

I guess it's tempting to argue my case because I don't want us to still be rehashing this same "what's retro and what isn't" topic another 2 years from now.

>> No.2243734

>>2237705
Every time a thread like this is opened up, someone like you has to post in it.

More than likely OP wants to physically collect for the system. Kind of like how old ladies love to collect Campbell's soup or baseball memorabilia. Except a video game collection actually has a purpose.

>> No.2243745

>>2243727
By that definition I don't see how Dreamcast should be included and not GC, PS2, and Xbox.

>> No.2243868

>>2243745

Dreamcast is pre2k, it came out in 99.

>> No.2243884

>>2237523
Recently picked up a mega drive for about £10 not too long ago

>> No.2243887

>>2237518
why the fuck would you pre-plan to collect something. That's got to be the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

>> No.2243919

>>2243745
I know what you mean, and I honestly don't think dreamcast belongs here either. I think it'd be much more at home with PS2, GC and Xbox.

I guess there's no solution to please everybody so we're doomed to hash it out all day every day forever.

>> No.2243938

>>2243334
No American please shut up you don't know what you are talking about

>> No.2244060

>>2243938
>hurr durr murricans are stupid

Are you so stupid and immature to resort to ridiculous stereotypes when you can't offer an actual rebuttal?

>> No.2244070

>2015
>starting a collection

No m8 you missed the boat by at least 5 years it's all about the flashcarts now

>> No.2244084

>>2243938
He's right there's not a lot worth playing on the sms,you would be ten times better off with a nes

>> No.2244673

>>2237518
PS always have good price until PS3 when you must owned LCD and internet and paid for extra content which made me stop bought new console.

>> No.2244690

>>2244070
Try ten years, but yeah, pretty much. this is a terrible time to be collecting but the truth is that it's only gonna get worse.

My other hobby is collecting records which is even stupider but at least I don't have to put up with jokers selling repros, fake shrinkwrap, etc.

>> No.2244714

>>2237778
'retro' and 'old' are not synonyms
'retro' is not 'what x% of 4chan users played as kids'

a game doesn't automatically become 'retro' just as soon as it's n years old

>> No.2244719

I'd grab all the systems you love and get flashcarts for them. Don't collect just for the sake of collecting. You'll end up growing bored with it.

>> No.2244735

>>2243938
>>2244060
>>2244084
His immature comment aside, he's probably a eurofag, where the SMS had a shitload more games than North America did. In Britain for example the SMS was far more relevant than the NES clear up until the 16-bit era.

That said, a shitload more games =!= good games.

>> No.2244751

>>2244714

'retro' and 'old' are not synonyms

>RETRO

>Full Definition of RETRO
>: relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashione

>Related to RETRO

>Synonyms
> antique, oldfangled, old-school, old-time, old-timey, old-world, quaint, old–fashioned, retrograde, vintage

Yes, retro is very much "old" related. Deal with it.

>> No.2244795
File: 87 KB, 607x663, FCjdeOp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playstation all day
FF7 is 35
Most classic fun is around $5 like Tony Hawk, Twisted Metal, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Tencu is 2.99 at some places. Resident evil games are dirt cheap too. I'm having a blast stacking up my ps1 collection. The expensive games like, Breath of fire and Alundra are only going up in price. I see FF7 being 40 on average near the end of the year.

>> No.2244817
File: 192 KB, 1280x960, 0121111618a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2243469
I fell prey to the low trade ins.. in desperation I sold my saturn and 6 games (bug, nights, vf, pd, daytona, astal) for 40 bucks. Still regret it years later. There IS a really cute girl who works there, though. I think they had a Gameboy Light too. Another BM pic bump.

Youre old enough to remember the birthday mailer, but do you remember the "old" gi joes sign? When they tore it down you could see the original 80s sign, dang I miss that place.

>> No.2244819

>>2244795
>tattoos on your feet

Please tell me you're a grill, and not something buoys actually do.

>> No.2244842

>>2244819

why would buoys do that when their bottom halves are underwater?

>> No.2246516

>>2244817

Sorry Anon, I moved up here in 2006.

You got raped on that Saturn. Dude.

>> No.2246743

>>2237778
>If it were X amount of years ago, or Y amount of generations of consoles ago, that would make sense

But that's exactly the board rules. The "retro" window changes with every new generation.

>> No.2246770

>>2240740
>Even has the same siding on the walls

Those are anchor panels for holding product hooks and shelving. That shit is everywhere in retail.