[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 67 KB, 300x178, 300px-Age_of_Empires_2_The_Conquerors_Logo[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2219534 No.2219534 [Reply] [Original]

Let's attempt to have a thread that gets over 200 posts this time. Feel free to post about the first AoE or Mythologies if you want.

What's your first memory of AoE2/AoC?
What's your favorite civ to play as?
Have you experienced online play via Gameranger/Voobly/LAN?
Your favorite mission/the one you hate the most?
Your thoughts on the HD edition?

>> No.2219548

>>2219534
I know I'm crazy but I love playing Spanish

>> No.2219549
File: 22 KB, 399x399, Convert-Catapults-To-Christianity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What's your first memory of AoE2/AoC?
I live in Russia so back in that time almost all software on the market was pirated. My AoK copy was no exception and it turned out to be a beta version. Mostly complete but with many different incomplete unit graphics like mamelukes who looked like dervishes that traveled on foot and turned into Short Swordsmen from the first game to toss javelins, or Cavaliers and Paladins who wielded lances. Didn't bother me at the time though, I still played the shit out of it. It also had a longer intro that was cut in the final version.

>What's your favorite civ to play as?
AoK/AoC? Celts. Great food/wood economy with the woodcutting bonus, fast infantry makes for continuous offence straight from the Dark Age and slaughters cavalry, powerful siege and a great unique unit. Plus just getting your infantry there that much faster is satisfying.

Forgotten Empires? Magyars. Fun bonuses, good scout rush with free attack upgrade and cheap scouts, great offensive castle drop due to the peasants' wolfkilling bonus and cheap trash unique unit, versatile offence with good infanty, cavalry and archers. Huszars also dominate trash wars, defend castles from rams and trebuchets exceedingly well and are great at raiding, one of the best UUs imo.

>Have you experienced online play via Gameranger/Voobly/LAN?
I'm not too confident in my skills and am vary of online communities so I mostly just have been playing with people I know through LAN or lately Steam multiplayer.

>Your favorite mission/the one you hate the most?
Honestly I haven't played much of the campaigns so I can't really say. I always preferred melee even vs. AI.

>Your thoughts on the HD edition?
Fire animation is atrocious, but Steam-integrated MP and updated Forgotten Empires graphics are nice. I got it and I am happy with it, I guess. It doesn't change much for me to praise or complain about.

>> No.2219550

>>2219534
I won't say its the better game, but I love AoE1 more.

>> No.2219558

I fushed up the HD version somehow.

Some weird music plays and the terrain textures are alien- looking

>> No.2219559

>>2219550
Though AoE II has flat-out improved everything about gameplay, I still find myself playing AoE a lot. I dunno, something just feels right about it. The more interesting time period it's set in, for one, and I still quite like the visuals. The truly random random maps were also more fun to play (in II, everyone starts with the same resources around their town, while in AoE you could start with five elephants right by your town center, or with gazelles right by the forest for a storage pit start). It's a great game though it was to be expected that II would completely overshadow it. I also heard Vietnam still plays it religiously just like SK plays Starcraft.

>> No.2219573

>>2219559
The speed/pacing of AoE1 is way quicker too.

Also, a lot of the custom campaigns on Heaven Games are real cool.

>> No.2219598

>>2219573
>Also, a lot of the custom campaigns on Heaven Games are real cool.
It's mind-blowing what people on there are capable of doing with AoE's very limited map editor, before the advent of triggers or external editor programs. Stuff like creating timed appearances using blind priests or neutral alligators. Making a map for AoE is a puzzle in itself. Super fascinating.

>> No.2219640

Oh, so this is where the aoe threads are. Sweet.
You guys know there's still a pretty large competitive scene for this right? With semi-pro players and everything. Anyway, aoe2 is one of those games where I thought I was good, and then played online and realised how utterly insane people are at it. Good lord, that was rape

>> No.2219689

>>2219598
I'm a real sucker for doing more with less, so all those "hacked" triggers fascinated me. My personal favourite was setting a Gaia unit with adjacent damage next to an enemy unit and an ally unit so when the player "captures" the gaia unit, the adjacent damage sets the ally hostile.

>> No.2219695
File: 1.29 MB, 1272x710, Henry The Lion.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Greatest video game plot twist of all time?

>> No.2219809
File: 27 KB, 236x314, emperor of tenochitlan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thread approved, so says Cuantemoc

>> No.2219870

Hordes of longbowmen.

>Make it rain on dem hos.

>> No.2219872
File: 743 B, 40x47, Huskarl.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219870
heard u talkin shit

>> No.2219878

>>2219534

My first memory was of playing the first AoE.
Holy god how i loved that game, i was 10 years old, and since my father had as a friend a computer store owner, i was always packed with games; since the owner made special prices for my father and even passed me many pirated games and AoE was one of them (i still have them)
It wasn't the first time for me playing an RTS, i had cyberstorm, caesar, heroes of might and magic etc.
But at the time i wasn't really impressed by the genre, only after playing AoE getting almost addicted to it and loving the fact that i could build defensive walls, i really started loving the genre.

Greeks, as far as i can remember.

Sadly not.

>> No.2219880
File: 2 KB, 120x150, aoe2-champion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219872

Don't be troublin' my boys, yo.

>> No.2219885

>>2219695

Man, fuck that guy.

>So sorry.

>> No.2219887

>>2219878
I remember how shocked I was when I actually discovered that different civs had unique bonuses and tech trees, in the first AoE that is. And that Greeks, the mascots of the ancient world, sucked big time.

>no economic bonus
>shitty ship speed bonus that doesn't even work properly
>no archers except tool age bowman
>academy unit speed bonus is merely ok

Why, Ensemble? Couldn't you give Greeks a siege weapon bonus that would make sense instead of giving them to Sumerians and Hittites who DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TORSION SIEGE WEAPONS IN REAL LIFE and didn't even survive until the iron age?

>> No.2219909

>>2219887

I was trying to remember, and it seems i played quite a bit as hittites and phoenicia.
Not even that much with greeks.

>> No.2220050

>>2219559
I'm conflicted about aoe1.
In the visuals department I feel it has aged a lot worse than aoe2.
As memorable as it is, the audio(excluding the music) is a bit harsh and grating to hear game in game out, as opposed to aoe2.

I wouldn't really mind the above two issues at the end of the day, but the nail in coffin for me is the archaic lack of things I've come to take for granted in rts games, like units automatically forming up automatically on move commands.

>> No.2220074

>First memory of AoE2
Playing it a little bit at my cousin's home, making a comfy little village and defending it with spearmen(I thought they looked a lot like farmers, and I love the early building and farm aesthetics) until the AI ran me through.

>Favorite civ
Hard to decide, but I've probably played China more than any other civ.

Played a few games with the lads on /v/ that arranged gameranger games like three years back now; didn't stick around for too long.

Favorite has to be the first Hun mission, I love the amount of triggers, while still remaining a 'build and just beat the enemy' mission. Also; the aesthetic detail put into the map is quite above average.
One I didn't like is a lot harder to place. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was one of the Barbarossa missions.

I like that it meant that more people would be playing aoe2.
Don't regret it as a personal purchase as I grabbed it on sale.
I also liked the integration of Forgotten Empires, as I remember that coming out just before AoE2HD appeared and thinking that the mod might lose an audience.

Still, I've barely played it; most of my friends aren't into RTS and I never really liked playing RTS with strangers.

>> No.2220249
File: 11 KB, 256x299, Nice Pallis you got there m8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Play as Saracen
>Get Knight rushed by a Frank
>Knight rushing a Frank
>His knights gets utterly slaughtered by my Camels
>Imperial now
>He sends to me 70 Paladins
>They get utterly destroyed by my army of Heavy Camels and Elite Mamelukes
>He tries to spam halbs, but its too late, mams are already destroying his barracks

And this is why Knight-rushing/massing players are really stupid

I, as a Saracen player, never used Knights as Harassment; Cavalry Archers are by far better, with some micromanagement of course

Mamelukes, why you are so based?
>Hojoom!
>Al-lekan!
>Al-hojoom!

Also, Saladin best AoE II Historical character.

>> No.2220261
File: 132 KB, 220x167, Legion.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would like to see a remake of AoE/RoR with AoM/AoE3 style triggers (or better) and the same graphics but higher resolution. Today's computers could probably render the original 3D models in real time.

>> No.2220264

>>2219548
Saladin approves the Spanish

>> No.2220274

>>2220249
knight harass is pretty nice though, dat damage
agreed that massing heavy cav is hilarious though

>> No.2220276

>>2220249
> Knight rushing is stupid against the camel civ
Whoa really?

Seriously though, a good player would've taken care of halb/hand cannon/throwing axeman screen for his paladins before 70 of then got slaughtered by mamelukes

Mamelukes are still some of the best UUs though

>>2220261
>Legion.webm
>it's a webm of a phalanx/centurion

>> No.2220298
File: 194 KB, 480x321, 1417036540566.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219549
>fire animation is atrocious
I think there's a mod to restore the original on the workshop
same for a lot of other stuff really afaik, my game is indistinguishable from the original now as far as I'm concerned

>> No.2220301
File: 132 KB, 228x178, Phalanx.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2220276
>>Legion.webm
I just picked one of the webms I converted from AVIs. The original AVIs are named like that.
The one called Phalanx looks like a Hoplite.

>> No.2220324

>>2220276
Not really, I have faced those kind of Frankish players

Elite mamelukes, Heavy Cavalry Archers, Heavy Camels (optional) and mass Hussars are quite a good army, supported with mass Monks to keep the Mams and C.archers alive, plus bombard cannons to keep a long distance damage

>>2220274
I just dont feel the appeal, I do a pretty nice job with C.archers harass

>>2220276
Knight rushing a camel civilization IS stupid, I always slaughter all the Knights with my camels, even more if I land a castle then I start to pump mamelukes

I agree with the UU thing
Mamelukes, Huskarls, Longbowmen, Cataphracts, War Wagon and Samurais are quite good, in my opinion.

>>2219870
>>2219872
Fun thing, Gothic players give me more trouble than British players.

>> No.2220912

Is it possible to crush the AI when playing on Moderate?

>> No.2220976

>>2220249
> playing as muslim warlords and genocidal maniacs
> not playing as an honorable christian civ like the byzantines or teutons

>> No.2221045

I just played again last night for the first time in a very long time. I was playing with a friend we teamed up against an AI opponent.

>have town wiped out by enemy army
>have few villagers left and castle hidden away in corner
> build new town center in corner
>Start construction on Wonder
>Friend attempts invasion on CPU
>gets wiped out
>wall off my corner wonder almost complete
>surround wonder with guard towers
>spend 200 years waiting for counterattack that never comes

god damn it what a let down, I was ready for some final epic battle but I guess they were spread too thin and couldn't launch an attack on me.

>> No.2221047

Played the hell out if the AoK demo which was the William Wallace learning campaign and a single 4 player random map.

>> No.2221360

>>2220976
>Muslim warlords
Indeed, Saracens are the lords of war.

>Genocidal maniacs
Saracen zealots will bring death to anyone who threats their homeworld

>Teutons
>Honorable
No thanks, I dont like to be betrayed by my allies, like certain teuton did.
Honorable my muslim ass

>Byzantine
Oh please...
You just went full oriental Roman

Launch a Crusade, I dare you.

>> No.2221407
File: 109 KB, 749x825, 1417507756604.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2221045
>playing co-op with a friend
>game is becoming a slog, we are repelling massive attacks by the computer left and right while booming like mad but the AI's pulled 10 castles out of its ass and its base is virtually impenetrable
>the AI collects all the relics in a monastery hidden deep within its town surrounded by castles and masses of longbowmen and skirmishers
>friend says we're as good as dead
>with our last gold I muster a mobile force of eagle warriors that just walks its way past the enemy forces and attacks the monastery, managing to bring it down with only 2-3 warriors remaining
>the game deteriorates into a hour-long trash wars where we are defending our town centers all over the map constantly spamming halberdiers and skirmishers from 20-30 barracks and archery ranges, fighting off a constant onslaught of skirmishers, rams, champions and the occasional trebuchet (I have no idea where the AI was getting the gold from at this point)
>Friend: "Maybe if we can collect the relics, we can win..."
>the relics are still at the former monastery site behind 10 castles, we can't muster nearly enough gold to keep a stream of rams and trebuchets enough to power through them
>10 minutes later, I realize that if we can't get the relics, we can build a wonder
>have a PERFECT wonder spot next to one of our town centers in the corner of the map completely surrounded by trees and water, out of trebuchet range, with only a small wallable passage that already has 20 barracks and archery ranges between it and our constantly besieged main town
>the computer could have broken in anyway if it really tried, but it spent the rest of the game besieging our backup town with little more than palisade walls, some farms and a few archery ranges constantly spamming skirmishers to keep the gigantic AI army occupied and distracted from the wonder
>we win
>4,000 units killed from both sides in the end

>> No.2221494

>>2221045
>>2221407
>be a peasant
>our kingdom has been embroiled in war with our barbarian neighbors for as long as I remember
>spend my life farming and gathering supplies for the war effort
>one day a scout arrives and reports that the enemy has broken into our city
>the city guard is holding the tide, but it will not last long
>the king gives an order
>gather the other peasants, go to the forest, build a huge-ass cathedral and wait for a thousand years
>we obey
>a thousand years passes, nothing is left of our kingdom but the cathedral and a handful of male peasants
>the entire enemy army is miraculously struck dead in an instant
>the king announces glorious victory

>> No.2222063

>Play 3 vs 3 Black Forest as Saracen
>Got to a fight a Goth
>At first, a combination of Elite Mamelukes, Heavy Cavalry Archers, Monks, Bombard Cannons and meatshield Hussars are doing the push
>But that Goth, with help of Another goth teammate, they start to spam halbs and skirms, mostly halbs
>My muslim warriors are killing hundres of goths, but slowly melting away
>Too much heat to handle, pull back
>Re-think my strategy
>Focus on meatshield hussars, cavalry archers and mamelukes
>Spam siege onagers
>I saw 300 men dying against 3 Siege Onagers attack
>It was beautiful
>Crushing all enemy that steps in my territory
>Massed Siege onagers and bombard cannons
>Win the fight
>A Saracen defeats a Goth
>Win the match

That game must be one of the most difficult games I ever had, but it feels good to defeat your counter

ALLAHU AKBAR

>> No.2222084
File: 245 KB, 1366x768, Hot_Dog_Stand_on_Vista_by_TrillWill.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you play the first AoE obsessively, but can't bring yourself to play the sequel

The game isn't even that great. It always comes down to getting to the Bronze Age before everyone else, so you can spam cavalry and priests.

>> No.2222171

>>2222084
Holy shit those colours

>> No.2222459

>>2222084
>cavalry and priests
>not archers and stone throwers

>> No.2222471
File: 1.69 MB, 986x1378, aoe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2222459

>> No.2222491

>>2219887
>>2219909

I remember I played as hittites, they were godly
I didn't had internet at that time but the game manual had all the civs bonuses

>> No.2222494

I haven't played an Age of Empires game since the original released years ago. I remember spending hours playing it though and loving it. Does AoE1 still hold up or would I have a better time with one of the newer ones?

>> No.2222497

What's your first memory of AoE2/AoC?

You know that time when people rarely had internet on their house so they played to play in places with a lot of computers?

What's your favorite civ to play as?
When I was young I had a strage fixation with the elephants

Yeah on the old good times. Playing all packed in a single room and yelling stuff at each other.

Your favorite mission/the one you hate the most?

Strangely I had something for Genhis Khan first mission. It was cool

Why do i have to pay again for a game I already own for several years?

>> No.2222503

>>2222494

I reinstalled AoE 1 since I found the CD from 7-8 years ago
it holds even today, I love the way it looks, sounds, plays
might find some mods to make the game better

>> No.2222505

>>2222494
IMO it does hold up, I still play it a lot, however AoE II has flat out improved almost everything about the gameplay and balance. It's definitely worth checking out. Age of Mythology is also cool, but stay clear of AoE III as it's very different and definitely way worse than the earlier games.

>> No.2222509

AoE1: I got my first PC as a kid and had this CD with pirated games on it, stracraft, tarzan, supaplex, hercules, you know them
AoE1 was there also, and man when I played it I begged my mom to let me play it way past my bed-time

AoE2: some years later I got the game(again pirated). It was a late fall, getting dark, raining outside. I jut came from school. Holy shit when I started the campaign with the celts it was just glorious

celts/mongols

nope, I live in eastern europe and around that time internet was a rare thing around here

Favorite:the first Hun mission is the best

It's good since I get to play on steam, there are always players

>> No.2222549

>>2222459

I've never had a problem with stone throwers, since they lose to any infantry. Archers are good, but you need to pump a lot of upgrades into them to make them worth shit, and the AI loves slinger spam.

>> No.2222558

I made a steam group for any of you guys that want to play multiplayer.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vraoe2

>> No.2222669

>>2222558
i'd join in for a few games but I have exams at least a week more
> ;_;

>> No.2222739

Just ordered this, should arrive next week. Do I need to download any patches manually and do they work straight out of the box on Win7? Pretty hyped as I've never owned a legitimate copy of AoE 1/2.

>> No.2222740
File: 17 KB, 300x300, aoe_collectors_edition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2222739

Forgot picture.

>> No.2223220

I miss doing custom scenarios on zone. My favorite back before hacks became ultra wide spread was paintball. Basically, 8 people would get 1 king, and 15 hand canoneers, and every 5 minutes you would receive 10 more hand canoneers. If your king died, you lost. It was so much fun trying to dictate between hiding / protecting your king but also killing the enemy's kings, and making sure you didn't lose and of you canoneers all willy nilly.

Also, Black Lake RPG. You and 3 other people start with a king, and you use the king to select which unit archetype you want to be

>Archer
>Knight
>Infantry

and as you and your bros scored more kills, they would slowly upgrade, so if you did archer, your upgrade would be like

>Archer
>+1dmg +1range
>+1 armor
>Crossbowman
>+1dmg +1range
>+1 armor
>Arbalest
>Chemistry Research
>Longbowman
>Elite Longbowman
>Robin Hood

and you would have to beat the whole campaign with just 1 unit, and 3 other people who also only had 1 unit.

Those were super fun, but on steam people only want to play RM/DM/CBA

>> No.2223402

>>2223220
actually I would love to play those custom maps with triggers. I love those RPG style maps on starcraft and wasn't even aware they existed on AoE.

>> No.2223480

Has that 0AD project gone anywhere yet?

>> No.2223521

Anyone have an issue with the steam version not letting you download custom scenarios from other players?

>> No.2223937

>>2223220
I played lots of RPG maps

Yet they are no even close to the quality of Starcraft 'Use Maps Settings' (Custom scenarios)

Dhem RPGs

Damm the nostalgia strikes again

>> No.2223987

>>2219534
My first memory was back in 2000. My Grandma had got me into the original Age of Empires, and once the second game was released, she bought it for me for my birthday and I played that shit for hours a day, most of the time I would even ignore my homework to play it, and my parents didn't really give a damn.

My favorite civ is the Vikings.

Back in the day, me, my Grandma, and uncle used to play via Zone.com.

My favorite missions were those involving Joan. My least favorite mission was when you had to follow whats-his-face into the forest and kill him before the boars kill you.

I haven't played the HD Edition yet, but my I have become a live-in caregiver for my Grandmother and I shit you not, 80% of her day involves sitting in her chair, watching Investigation Discovery, and playing Age of Empire II HD or Age of Mythology. And in fact, she's playing AoEII right now.

>> No.2224014

>>2223521
yes

>> No.2224020
File: 3.15 MB, 2938x2204, IMG_0234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2223987

>> No.2224028

>>2224020
yo tell gramma to join my steam group and we will rock a game hahaha. Thats the best man

>> No.2224036

>>2224028
She is good. She's been playing almost daily since the game was first released in September of 1999. She even played the PS2 version back in the day.

She never gets tired of it and it is not even within the realm of possibility for me to ever consider winning a game with her.

>> No.2224047

>>2224036
Oh I am sure should would whoop my ass too I'm mostly into doing coop games. I would recommend everyone get it when it goes on sale for 5 bucks, even if you don't like the graphics there are mods to make them better.

>> No.2224121

>>2224020
>Gaming Grandma

So Cool

Im jelly, m8

>> No.2224124

>>2224036
Your gramma sounds based.

>> No.2224170

>>2219534
I remember not beating any of the campaigns fully when I first played
Byzantines
I don't like playing online except with friends
Loved the Attila the Hun campaign
HD is alright

>> No.2224259

"Start the game already!"

>> No.2224271

>>2224259
!mute

>> No.2224335

>>2224259

>> No.2224389
File: 120 KB, 500x375, 2527325-1444842183-aoe3..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw

>> No.2224538

>playing Egypt in AoE1
>they got HP buffs to Chariots and C. Archers
>they got range bonus to Priest that stacks with Afterlife
>Chariot types are near immune to Priest conversion
>support with Stone Thrower to pop defenses
Egypt a best. Phoenicia is a close second. Screw Greece and it's expensive academy units, just use Legions.

Also
>actually beating "Wonder"
>not cheating to win with Photon Men

>> No.2225009
File: 8 KB, 287x158, Sphinx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This was supposedly a beta design for the Egyptian Temple.

>> No.2225063
File: 26 KB, 400x300, menu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This version was made before Rise of Rome was released.

>> No.2225104

Loved AoE. One of my favorite RTSs

>> No.2225296

>>2225009
>>2225063

moar?

>> No.2225313

empire earth is superior

>> No.2225317
File: 455 KB, 1024x768, compare.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2225296
Rise of Rome and Age of Kings were developed at the same time on the same engine. It's unknown whether this was from an actual build containing civilizations from both games or if it was just made in a graphics editor.

>> No.2225362
File: 266 KB, 1024x768, gs01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2225296
This shows the mysterious OMTBO, or "Off-Map Trade Boat."
The boat would leave the map carrying trade goods and come back with gold.

>> No.2225373

>>2225317
>pink brick and red house color
Disgusting. All about dat bloo.

>> No.2225523

Why is AoE in /vr/? Yes, I've read the sticky and I know it's about games released before 1999, but AoE has been updated (HD) and a new expansion launched, and I'm pretty sure not all games on /vg/ are post-1999. So why can't we have a thread there where we would get many more posts/day?

>> No.2225530

>>2225523
Are you fucking retarded?

>> No.2225541

>>2225523
/vg/ is just for video game generals so they would not clog up the other boards. Updated re-releases don't matter much as the original title is still old.

>>2225530
Rude.

>> No.2225545

>>2225530
No

>>2225541
This board is just too slow

>> No.2225559

>>2222084
is that McDonald's theme?

>> No.2225568

>>2224020
holy shit that's an awesome grandma!

>> No.2225572

>>2225362
I actually like the idea and that wall design :D moar please

>> No.2225574

>>2225545
At least the userbase is generally more kinder.

>> No.2225636
File: 125 KB, 520x390, 2011-07-18_1505-520x390.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2225559

>not knowing about Hotdog Stand

>> No.2225906
File: 316 KB, 1024x768, gs04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2225572
AoK originally had a 5th resource, ore. The game had ore mines, as well as gold and stone mines.

>> No.2226597

Goddamn I suck so much

http://a.pomf.se/hxtckk.mgz

>> No.2226624

>>2225906
I actually played a late beta version that had a lot of this stuff. Ore mines in the map editor, more badass old knight graphics and such. Fun times. Wish I could find the disk to share the goodies with you.

>>2224538
Egypt is underrated, probably because its siege is lamest in the game. It's a great civ for those chariot archer rushes transitioning into scythe + priest. I'd say it's one of the tops along with Minoans and Hittites. I have a soft spot for Choson in Random Map though. People consider it a Deathmatch only civ because of their slow economy, but their stronger towers, cheaper priests and best Legions in the game (Roman Legions beat them 1v1, but Choson Legions are more useful because they weather archer and siege fire better) make for all sorts of fun strats.

>martyring hordes of priests to convert enemy barracks and villagers to start pumping out invincible legions while the vils build towers all over the place

>>2224170
>>2220074
>>2222509
Attila's campaign is really the best. It's just "build a base and win" for the most part, but with a lot of neat gimmicks and lots of character, and without any of the fixed force fetch quest and escort mission fuckery of Joan's or Genghis' campaign.

>> No.2226853

Is it true that the AI cheats on Hard and Hardest in AoK/AoC?

>> No.2227258

>>2219534
Favorite mission is the final scenario of the Saracen campaign

Wonder? Fuck that

I will Jihad all my enemies, in hardest difficulty

>> No.2227271

>>2226853
Hardest AI gets bonus resources at the start of the game. Hard just plays relatively well I think. But you haven't seen anything until you've played the new The Forgotten AI, he fucking bum rushes you with 20 knights and 40 crossbowmen as soon as you barely hit Castle Age, at the second lowest difficulty

>> No.2227486

>>2227271
Thats insane

>> No.2227612

>>2226624
>I actually played a late beta version that had a lot of this stuff.
Did you get an official version or was it something you downloaded? I downloaded version 00.09.07.0222.

>> No.2227631

>>2227612
I bought it back in the time. As I said I live in slavshit land so all software on the market back then was pirated. I bought a disk with a pirated beta version of AoE sold as the legit game all the way back in like 2000. No idea what version that was.

>> No.2228641

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivUfMytm4o

>> No.2228891

Wololo

>> No.2228908

>>2219534
The first memory is just the tutorial
I remember when i was little I couldn't play without cheats and AEGIS, so fucking retarded, but as a kid I was really interested in the history and I kept wanting to know what happened to gengis kahn and such

BYZANTINES STRONK!
cataphracts being OP as fuck couples with biggest defenses made for a lot of strategies of which I particularly liked two: cavalier army of paladins, camel, cataphracts and horse archers or turtling behind walls and turrets with few cataphracts to defend and win by wonder, it caused much rage against other guys I played against in my class who were scrubs

I played LAN against other guys in my class during last years of school/highschool, they sucked

Can't remember the campaigns well
Havent gotten the HD edition

>> No.2228915

When I was a kid Age of Empires was an epidemic in my town, everyone played it. I distinctly remember the reason it was so ubiquitous is because it was given away for free in boxes of cereal. The full game too, not just a trial.

>> No.2229567
File: 413 KB, 1280x1024, images006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2229664
File: 473 KB, 800x489, tumblr_ngyaiha5cd1s71q1zo1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2224538

I usually do Babylonians for tower spam, or Yamato when I get sick of turtling.

>> No.2230101

>>2228908
>Byzantine player

Oh that tickles my Jihad's

Sure, Catas are pretty much effective against all infantry, but they dont do well against another cavalry and archers.

The way I get a rid of those christian nuissances is to spam hussar to meat-shield my mamelukes, and behind those, there are either massive heavy cavalry archers or a combination of Arbalests and hand cannoners, plus I add monks and bombard cannons in the horde.

Or if I feel like a huge bitch I will just spam Siege Onagers and Hussars.

I love the times I defeat a stupid trash-army spammer Gothic player with Siege Onagers.
Your halbs are not so good under a rain of flaming stones, isnt it?

>>2229567
Thats a hunnic Tarkan?
Thats really cool.

Mameluke or Paladin when?

>>2229664
Personally, I loved Yamato heavy horse archer mass
Those guys could destroy an entire town, except for massive siege, but with proper micro that shouldnt be a problem.

>> No.2230304

Is there anything wrong with Age of Empires 2 HD or should I instead just go play the original.

>> No.2230312

>>2230304
Godawful building fire textures lifted straight from Blingee, but pretty sure there are workshop mods that fix that. Otherwise, pretty much nothing. It doesn't look drastically different or anything, and there are no gameplay changes compared to the original or the mod version of Forgotten Empires either. Pretty much nothing to complain about.

>> No.2230326

>>2230304

Like >>2230312 said

The fire effects are heresy, but thats pretty much it.
If you are not into zone.com, or any AoE II website, then you can buy AoE II HD to play with your steam friends. Its not so professional as Zone (I guess), but there is always people to play with.

So, if you want to play online, go for it.
For anything else... well, its your call.

>> No.2230540

So I installed AoE 1 and it runs thousands of frames per second which isn't really needed. Any way to limit the fps on this game? I've tried DXTory, RadeonPro, enabled vsync on the control panel and everything but nothing works.

>> No.2231000
File: 3.02 MB, 800x718, dom_proto_1_png.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is the only known screenshot of the earliest Age of Empires prototype, Dawn of Man. The concept of resources was more similar to games like Civilization and Caesar. The "Explorer" villager is still in the game.

>> No.2231180

>>2231000
Never heard about it. But the syle looks suspiciously close to Chris Sawyer's Tycoon games.

>> No.2231281

>He keeps sending Paladins against my Mamelukes

The day people realize that massing Paladins against Zealot Elite Mamelukes will be the day I will be defeated

Holy shit people can be retarded sometimes

>> No.2231283

>>2231180
>But the syle looks suspiciously close to Chris Sawyer's Tycoon games.
That's what I thought too when I first saw it.
I also noticed that the Fishing Boat looks the same as it does in AoE.

>> No.2231662

random map
random civ vs random civ
moderate

http://a.pomf.se/rhzknw.mgz

>> No.2232627

I am slowly getting there.

http://a.pomf.se/kizlfl.mgz

I don't even need to use a single unique unit. Also I think getting the relics helps a little.

>> No.2232662
File: 166 KB, 252x297, Age_of_Empires_II_-_The_Age_of_Kings_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219534
>What's your first memory of AoE2

Me trying shit out in one of the late tutorial stages, however I was four years old and I couldn't understand any english. After much trial and error I learned the basic functions.

My favourite Civs are the teutons and the spanish. However in team games I usually play with the Spanish for they have a teambonus 33,3% more profit when trading, which gives you a serious advantage. I also think that in late game sessions the spanish have an advantage. The combination of fully upgrades conquistadors and fully upgrades paladins are an unstoppable force. The teutonic knight is a fucking tank (insane pierce armour), really good if you put them in rams. Then they are effective against archer civs like the brittons.

Yes, I played a lot with Voobly. However LAN matches were fucking awesome. In high school we brought a cracked version of AOE2 on USB and install it on all the computers. Then we would play 4 vs 4 matches. Those matches were so sick that if there was a huge siege the game would lag badly. Best matches I have ever played.
My favorite mission is the first mission of the Barbarosa campaign. Maybe if I play al the missions again my opinion would change, but I have a lot of memories from my childhood of that mission.
> Your thoughts on the HD edition?
I bought it primarily for the new servers to play with my friends online. The graphics aren't that improved, but you can easily install mods now. Another dissapointment is that they have removed the fucking LAN option, WTF.

>> No.2232972

>>2232662
>Teutonic Knights
>Insane pierce armor
>Effect against archers

Either you never played with the Teutons in a real game, or you are just confusing units.

The Teutonic Knight has insane Hack/Melee armor, not pierce armor; The Briton longbowmen utterly destroys T.knights.

They are excellet to tank any kind of melee attack unit, including the Paladin, but they get destroyed by archers and any ranged attack

>> No.2233038

I fucking suck at playing non greeks on AoM

>> No.2233043

>>2233038
>pick Loki
>make Hersirs
>free myth unit army in Archaic Age

Also this isn't retro but I really hated the Titans expansion. They had so many interesting options, they could have went with Mesoamerican mythology, Japanese/Oriental mythology, Slavic, Mesopotamian, etc...but no, instead we got Atlantis as a ridiculously overpowered generic fantasy civ with more Greek gods. Super boring and retarded.

>> No.2233524

>>2232972
> or you are just confusing units
Yeah, you are right. The unit I was talking about were huskarls, I believe they could easily kill longbowmen due to their speed and pierce armour.

>> No.2233827

>>2226597
what version is this?tried watching it but it won't launch

>> No.2233835

Why won't you guys play on Gameranger anymore?

>> No.2234142

>>2233827

1.0c, no HD?

>> No.2234858

Bump

>> No.2235047

>>2234142
sorry man, if you play HD it's obvious you suck. Try watching experts and copying them if you really want to improve. git gud

>> No.2235072

>>2235047
>if you play HD it's obvious you suck

but I just said I did NOT had the HD ver.

>> No.2236008

>>2235072
oh my bad, i thought hd version stayed on 1.0c and that everybody else was playing 1.4
where do you usually play? gr or voobly?

>> No.2236174

>>2222084
For fuck sake that fucking image it's burning my fucking eyes.

>> No.2236636

>>2235047
>HD
>Suck
>Imblying

But I admit the players in Zone and voobly are way better

>> No.2236837

>>2236636
> i admit players on zone and voob are better
> implying hd player sucks
You sound retarded. Do you play on hd? also, zone died a decade ago

>> No.2237159

>>2230101
> that tickles my jihad's
I'm glad I've never had to fight a good opponent like you, although I would never dare to send my cataphracts without a good amount of horse archers to support I would suffer heavily against an army of mamelukes, good thing my friends were stupid and only played persians, teutons and japanese

>> No.2237227

>>2219534
Was 6 when first seeing it. My aunt was the IT manager at my school, so I was allowed on the computers at lunchtime while other kids of the same age weren't. She showed me after school one day while I was waiting for her to finish (I would go to her house after school). Before that, I would crush other kids in AoE 1 over LAN.
My choice at the time I played it the most was always the ones with the nicest looking buildings. From memory, that was the Celtics (I loved the thatched roofs) or the Goths.
Yes, but when I was young and it was still a game I played alot of.
I can't remember, but I remember the one with William Wallace and battering rams, which I affectionately referred to as 'battling lambs' at the time.
I've purchased it and had some fun with it

>>>AoM
This was my equivalent of WC3. I touched on WC3, but didn't play it as much as most other people.
I would play alot of AoM custom maps. Specifically, the ones I can remember liking were River Civilization, Cannibals, this one where it was 3v3 and teams were distributed in a hexagon in 6 valleys with a wooded lake at the centre.

I also made my own knockoff of Rivciv which was the same map, but with neutral farms all over the place.
Last time I was playing AoM was in 2009 before I went to Thailand and I got a number of viruses on my computer which I needed to format. After that I started playing Battlefield Heroes.

>> No.2237525

>>2237159
he obviously isn't good, a goth spam would wreck SO because of speed and halb spam would cut through hussar like butter

>> No.2237719

I am downloading it for the first time in years, Openage worth using? WineHQ is telling me that it may not work or just werk.
And no, I won't install any other distro. Don't start with the monologues of My Distro Is Better.

>> No.2237802

>>2237719
openage is far from usable yet, go with wine
should be fully playable, even the steam version

>> No.2237810

>>2237802
Thank god, I don't want to download 2GB worth of programs just to compile a 9MB one.

>> No.2237861

>>2237159
>> that tickles my jihad's
>I'm glad I've never had to fight a good opponent like you

And what makes think Im good or pro?
I mean, much obliged, but Im not that good
I mean, I know how counter each unit and when use certain kind of units, but real pros somehow outplay me.
But you made a Saracen blush

>although I would never dare to send my cataphracts without a good amount of horse archers to support I would suffer heavily against an army of mamelukes
While mamelukes deal bonus damage against cavalry (thats why they also considered as Camelry), the Cataphract resistance against cavalry-damage-bonus greatly reduces their effectvity, so does with camels and pikemen.

The correct way to counter Cataphracts, is to get lots and lots of archers and siege fire (such as siege onagers), and Hussars meat-shielding my archer/siege army; since Cataphracts has no bonus damage against cavalry, and since they have low pierce armor, they melt really fast against that army composition.
Also I add monks to convert them because "11's" (laughs)

>>2237525
>He thinks I didnt defeat a Goth in his own game
Oh please, mass siege onager totally wreck a mass halb army, plus Heavy horse archers and elite mamelukes covering the onagers, and really massive hussars covering the previous one

And trust me, it feels so good to defeat a Goth as Saracens (without spaming champs)

>> No.2238140

So how do you indicate a IP to the game? Or AoE2 only can into lan?

>> No.2238761

>>2237861
Just knowing how to counter units means that you are far better than any other person I've played

>> No.2239106

>>2237861
Who would ever do only halb? Stop playing bf 50min no rush players. Goth will outspam and in a really cost effective way anything sara can throw at him. Besides the raiding capacity of huskarl will fuck you up. Not to mention hc and scorpions can wreck your petty mams. I laugh at filthy sand niggers who think they are OP

>> No.2239746

>Manage to have AoE 2 working on wine
>The game goes at like 16 FPS regardless of the graphic settings
>Multiplayer doesn't work at all
Come on.

>> No.2239919

>>2239746
>Come on
And you are the one using Linux...

>> No.2239950

>>2230101
Dude, mamelukes are the most OP unit the game if you allow each other time to build up, stop feeling so smug when you win fights with them

>> No.2240168

>>2239746
>Download AoE 1
>Multiplayer works but the game still is slowmo as fuck
Come the fuck on

>> No.2240336

>>2239106
>He thinks I won against Goths in BF
Both BF and sometimes in Arabia, those were hard games

Mass mamelukes can destroy a big army of halbs and huskarls, if protected. Plus onagers will get a rid of any big bunch of halbs you throw at me

Also:
>He thinks I will let a Goth boom
How are those paladise walls working for you? you filthy barbarian

>Huskarl raiding
>Implying I dont have my whole base walled
>Implying mass mamelukes doesnt rape your stupid huskarl army

Be smart and spam Bombard Cannons and Onagers for once

>Scorpions
>Rekting my Saracen army
>Implying my Bombard cannons will ever let you use your scorpions

But thats true, mass siege army is a pain in my ass
Thats why Celt players gives me such nuissance, Britons asides

>> No.2240449
File: 81 KB, 579x616, 1423632569594.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2240168
>Download virtual box and a 60 MB windows 95 vhd
>Install directX
>Launch the game
>Empty error message
COME THE FRIGGIN FUCK ON

>> No.2240797

>>2239746
what distro you on bub? and what graphics drivers?

my brother ran aoe2 in wine on his mac, and the only problem was you couldn't see text you input in the in-game chat box. shouldn't run any worse on linux

>> No.2241107
File: 433 KB, 320x240, 1423146521719.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2240797
Ubuntu, and my graphic hardware is esentially "Send everything to the processor".
But I show be able to this. I can run Morrowind for god sake. I mean this is the first problem in Wine I've found.
Also
>Fuck this
>Download a W98 iso
>"58 minutes left"
>"Haha it won't take that long, in an hour I have it working"
>It doesn't
>Three hours later I go to sleep, leaving that damned "Updating system settings" bar do whatever it wants
>Wake up
>Blue screen, the keyboard of my laptop is searing hot
>Fuck, the bad memory management is leaking all over the place
>Restart
>"Updating system settings"
>SADNSKADJNASIODJASODJSADSADSAJKLDSAJJKLJSDALKSAJD
>Leave it finish
>Asks for my username and password
>"M-may this be"
>Desktop starts loading
>Futuristic sound plays, a more heavenly tone hasn't touched my ears in years now
>Windows keeps loading...
>...and keeps loading...
>Only the teal desktop background, no taskbar or icons
>Pic supremely related

>> No.2241108

>>2241107
In less than an hour*

>> No.2241138

>>2241107
>Leave the VM running because it isn't using that many recourses after all
>See if I can start the launch box to run command and start from there
>Keyboard shortcuts don't work
>srsly
>Leave it be, check it again like half an hour later
>"Updating system settings..."
Does anyone have that gif where someone screams "God fucking dammit" and explodes or something like that?
Because I have a mighty need of that gif.

>> No.2241482

>AoE2 had in-game music
>all this time I was playing with no music

so, how do I go into getting it to work? I don't have HD btw

>> No.2241631

>>2241482
I just put it in my foobar playlist

>> No.2241660

>>2241482
The pirated versions doesnt have the soundtracks
The CD has all the soundtracks, therefore explaining why you played without music

Yeah the music is good, better than playing without any.

>> No.2241875

>>2240336
you remind me of an assburguer player from old /v/aoe

>> No.2242371

>>2241875
Which one?

>> No.2242498

>>2241138
>Change to VMware
>Holy fuck this is sanic speed, the whole thing is up and working in half an hour
>Try to run AoE 2
>It crashes after the mission intros
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>> No.2242895
File: 118 KB, 640x512, pc-47687-31347720697.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is this game okay in this thread? had a lot of fun with my brother playing this

>> No.2243052

>>2242895
What game is that one?

>> No.2243108

>Play against a 2000 elo player, 1vs1 arabia
>"hi:)"
>He mirrors my civ
>"Gl Hf :D"
>I know, by experiencie, the higher the ELO of a player and the higher the friendliness, the more assholes they are
>I was right
>Accidentally my scout gets killed by tripping to his TC
>'11 Noob 11'
'You will pay for that'
>'11 Make me'
>OH THAT SURE TICKLES MY JIHAD's
>He Dark Rushes me, I somewhat pulled it off with my vills
>He gets to Feudal age and tower rush me
>I move all my vills to the other side of my town
>He gets to Castle, he tries to knight rush me but towers and lancemen keep him controled
>I get to Castle, I pump cavalry horse archers
'Oh its time for the COMEBACK'
>I kill like 15 vills, but Skirms come at rescue
>Game goes on, I destroy all his towers and the castle he placed next to them
>Get a few knights, mangodels, mamelukes and cavalry archers
>Get to imperial
>Trebs and Bombard cannons
'Eat shit'
>'Fuck you'
>He resigns

This one more game proving that ALL friendly and highest score players tend to be assholes, bigger assholes than me, and thats a thing.

>> No.2243335

> play age of mythology a fucktonas a kid
> fastforward years, play age of empires II a lot
> fastforward a lot of years
> get back to AoEII, fucking love it
> remember AoM
> play it
Now that I'm an adult I think I can compare the two of them better
In general, AoM disappoints me because at first it seems like there are little differences and it looks like there are only four different civs, the major Gods being the ones that add little difference

What do you guys think of AoM?

>> No.2243364

>>2243335
AoM didnt hooked me up, AoEII is probably better

>> No.2243380

>>2243364
Its kinda different
AoM has myth units that completely break the game and its built too much around a rock paper scissors mechanic that right from the biggining sets clear which units are strong against

>> No.2243498

>>2243380
Its not like AoEII is too different

Skirmishers > Pikemen > Light Cavalry > Skirmishers
Archers > Infantry > Heavy Cavalry > Archers

>> No.2243970

Why is the Conquerors' intro so shit compared to the AoE2 one?

>> No.2244013

>>2243052
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, which runs on the AoE2 engine

>> No.2244057

>>2219534
my first videogame, i played it while i lived in russia and when i was like 7. my first memory is the first johanne d'arc mission, when you had to escort her, it had so much charm.

teutons+paladins op, no doubts. the most cool one are the aztecs tho, i liked their visual style

no internet in the poor mother russia. i played online with steam and unless you have friends or do castle blood i dont find it fun to play

favourite, the attila's one, when you are given like 3 peasants and you have to conquers the orleans or something. that shit was so rewarding.
most hated: first one of the barbarossa campaign. im not sure if i was playing on the hardest difficuly or i just were that bad, but i never managed to defend myself and i always got raped after 20 minutes of gameplay

its ok, shit performance wise but i dont care since my pc is good. the online is great if you open the ports. you get used to the sprite changes after the first 20 hours, so no problems there too. and i still have to try the forgottin's campaigns

>> No.2244073

>>2224389
I still want to know the source of this image. It always related to some shitty ass website with no back up

>> No.2244078

>>2244073

why? it's fake and old as hell

>> No.2244081

>>2244013
I cannot find a good crack of that bitch anywhere

>> No.2244087

>>2244078
I just want to know why exactly it was made lol.

>> No.2244143

>>2244081
http://gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_sw_galactic_battlegrounds.shtml

>> No.2244294

>>2244081
FYI It's on GOG now. If you're not going to buy it, you're going to find a decent version without need of a crack.

>> No.2244989

>>2228891
8 2 1 11 11 11
20 2
30 30 30 30
14 14 14 14 14 1 1 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIHmqXVfTg

Basically the taunts.

>> No.2245179

>>2219534
My first memory of aoe2 was playing through some demo version at a friend's place. I remember in one of the tutorial levels you started in a village completely surrounded by forest. And if you built up your town instead of following the mission objectives, you could eventually make a catapault, carve your way through the trees and explore the hidden part of the map.

I always liked the Turks and their janissaries. Feels so good blowing the shit out of everything. The asian races get the nicest looking buildings though.

I've screwed around in LAN games a few times, but never online. I suck hard at multiplayer RTS and I don't find it particularly fun if it's too serious.

I guess I liked the early Joan of Arc campaigns? I like the ones where you guide a ragtag group of soldiers on an epic journey, keeping them alive as long as possible without losing any. The worst missions were the boring ones where you just build up a base from scratch and beat the enemy. I liked gathering horses in the Hun campaigns too.

I could never get the original to work properly on windows 7. HD edition lets me play the game as intended. Nothing more. Never even touched the new content.

>> No.2245336
File: 1.27 MB, 4000x3000, IMG_20150220_102744_016.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone want me to post anything specific from this book? Can't really scan but I can retype some parts of developer interviews or something.

>> No.2245507

>>2245336
>but I can retype some parts of developer interviews or something.

sure

>> No.2245581

Can /vr/ recommend a modern rts/civ game like AOE2 that is as.... dynamic? Like being about to build anywhere, very open strategy. Doesn't seem like many games can do this anymore.

>> No.2245595

>>2245581
Stronghold Crusader 2?

>> No.2245642

>>2242498
>Download a windows xp image
>Install it on a VM
>Try to install AoE2
>It goes at the speed of a reumatic turtle with a single leg
>Leave it doing it's thing while I lurk
>Go back around an hour later
>"The disk is full"
>You what now
>The instalation somehow filled 2 GB
I give up
I just give up.
Fuck this game, fuck this computer, fuck the earth.

>> No.2245653

>>2245642
There is probably a setting in your VM to set disc space ,you should just dual boot XP though it's the best OS for legacy software

>> No.2245807
File: 84 KB, 277x306, kills-the-man.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2245642
>Make the minimal instalation
>Check the game folder
>empires2.dat is 1,94 GB in size

>> No.2246885
File: 442 KB, 1024x600, 2015-02-20 12_55_34.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What was this supposed to be, again?

>> No.2246895

>>2246885
>The Trade Workshop is an unused building in Age of Empires II.

>The Trade Workshop's purpose was to function as building where players could assign Villagers to produce “luxury goods” which were to be sold for Gold.

>Ultimately, it was scrapped from the final game, but remnants of the code appear in the Scenario Editor and its gameplay icon resembles that of the Market economic building.

Basically it's an earlier unused version of the Market.

It needs to be said that the first game also had a Trade Workshop building that similarly went unused. It was probably being developed for a similar purpose, or as a land trade building, but neither "luxury goods" nor land trade made it into the first game.

>> No.2247085

Why people like the Joan of Arc campaigns so much?

The Saladin and Genghis Kan campaigns were great, Frederic Barbarossa was okay

>> No.2247641

>>2246885
i watched your games and i have to tell you, you have no idea what you are doing. I'd recommend to stay at that level since you will never enjoy playing vs the ai after you actually learn to play aoe2. If you actually want to improve you should learn strategies like fast feudal or fast castle, learn what kind of unit combos to make and to stop playing with revealed map and all techs since no players ever play with those settings.

And please please, lure the boar to the town centre, it's killing me to watch you do that shit near the mill.

>> No.2247765

>>2247641
everybody has to start somewhere, What is the problem with killing the boar by the mill? I am new myself and I understand how to do pump out 30 villagers and do the fast castle. But I want to understand the reasoning behind it, is there less decay if you have the boar die right in the town center.

It is impossible to get better at AOE playing the AI because it's nothing like a real opponent, so share your tricks with us please.

>> No.2247795

>>2219695
>what harm could I possibly do?

>> No.2247987

>>2225317
>>2225362
>>2226624
>>2231000

damn this is wonderful

>>2243108
>2000 elo
damn I'm really a scrub at AoE2, played for a little this week and elo dropped to 1520 before making a comeback to 1590, any strategy guides in particular you used
Steam doesn't work where I stya most of the time, is trying build orders against Forgotten AI good enough?

>> No.2247993

>>2244057

sorry if the question seems dumb, but how exactly do I open the online ports, steam doesn't explain that in detail

>> No.2248203

Stealing a copy of the DLC from a school shop thing then getting home, realizing it's a DLC and won't work alone and finding it online somehow as an 11 year old

I thought they were all pretty much the same except some had chink castles and some had slightly different units?
>Have you experienced online play via
>Gameranger/Voobly/LAN?
What the fuck are you talking about
Muthafucka I didn't know people actually play those, I just play against bots on maps without water

>> No.2248415

>>2247765
if there's anyone interested we could play sunday on GR. I can xplain shit and show you how to do simple stuff. If there's enough people we can get some team games going on.

Food resources should always be gathered under TC because of rotting. If vills spend less time moving to drop food=less food wasted and efficiency for you eco. So, sheep, boar and even deer if possible should be eaten really near tc (under TC being the best place).

Everything you do in dark age must be efficient to set up your strat for the game, ergo build orders from better players are the best way to learn how to play different civs/maps/strats, though I'm sure there are people much better informed than i am since i'm only a 1400 noob.

If you have any more questions just shoot

>> No.2248863

>>2247987
I just watched ZeroEmpires videos and I played, failed and retry lots of time, until I get somewhat good; plus common sense helps a lot.

Any questions?

>> No.2249376

Anybody want to play? Pretty much noob here, but then again most people in a /vr/ thread probably are too

Steam: the_grobag
gameranger nickname: thegrobag (is it the nickname you need to add people? It's been an ages since I used GR)
Voobly: TheGrobag

I'm not very good, but my main problem is finding people that want to do normal 1v1's instead of stupid no rush or black forest all the time. UK, btw.

>>2248415
I could maybe

>> No.2249642
File: 1.84 MB, 5508x2883, map0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

niggas, just post if you want me to open a room in voobly to play some games

>> No.2249658

Am I the only one who has trouble incorporating archers into his tactics?
With the exception of cavalry archers I rarely use ranged units when attacking

>> No.2249785

>>2249658
archers are so good early castle and with a full feudal mixing skirms. What are you talking about?

>> No.2249879

Literally what's the purpose of the Korean's unique unit? is it the most worthless piece of shit ever??

>> No.2249939

>>2249879
come the fuck on, korean UU is banned from post imp games because of being so op

>> No.2249958

>love playing AoE2
>Never developed proper strategies because I played it as a kid
>All my friends are god awful at RTS games
Currently I am undefeated playing as the Goths by just sneaking in two barracks close to their town and spamming Huskarls.
That's all. Just Huskarls. I don't even bother going into imperial.

Is there a "basic strategy" guide so I can stop playing like a cheesing faggot

>> No.2250187

>>2249958
search in aoczone and you'll find anything you want

>> No.2250453

>>2247993
check on the steam community page, or in the guides. like you have to open your router settings (192.168.0.1 for me) and to add 2 numbers there. just look where i told you or google it

>> No.2250507

>>2249785
maybe it is because I play turtling too much with occasional skirmishes made with fast cavalry and quick retreats...

>> No.2250548

>>2249939

hah, really? last time I played everyone laughed at me for picking koreans.

i would really like to know more, fill me in

>> No.2250706

>>2250548
UU + SO and bombard tower is a combo really hard to kill because they can soak damage and have good armour. When massed it can kill palas and halb isnt very good either. Skirms are a good option but SO would destroy them. Post imp Korea will fuck you up if you play your cards right

>> No.2250729

>>2250548
War Wagons are absolutely ridiculous when massed. They're basically cavalry archers on steroids and with 200 HP which means they can take multiple siege shots and even halbs are not that effective against them. Mobile towers essentially. Koreans have a weaksauce economy but with halbs, war wagons, bombard cannons and one of the best siege onagers in the game they're one of the most powerful post Imp civs. They're really map reliant though, as they preferably need a closed map like Black Forest to properly tower and develop because their economy is so weak.

>> No.2251449

>>2250706
>>2250729

Holy shit the more you know. Thanks guys.

>> No.2251547

Is the Saracen Galley rate of fire bonus worth the unavailability to research Shipwright? Specially in really late game

Also:
>War Galleys rush my enemy as Saracen
>He throws fireships at my War Galleys
>Send demolition ships against his fireships
>3 demolition ships take down 7 fireships and severely damage other 4
>War Galleys attacking their docks, he keeps sending fireships against my demo ships and massed War Galleys

I feel like the Demolition ships are underused, I love them, specially against fireship spamming idiots.

>>2250729
I remenber a game, where the topscore enemy was a War Wagon massing korean player, on the decisive battle for our survival; me and a frankish ally sent a huge ass wave of Frankish Paladins and Elite Zealot Mamelukes

Aprox 70-100 Elite War Wagons against a combined force of 50-60 frankish Paladins and about 50 Elite mamelukes

Only 11 mamelukes survived the fight

Then the frankish player got fucked by a Goth player and I got fucked by a Elite Longbow/Trebs Briton

It was in Arabia, open field, lots of space to maniobrate

>> No.2252876

You know, I wonder if those who bought HD are even able to play content from AoKHeaven

>> No.2253002

>>2251547

demo ships are a waste of money imo. the lump damage is nice but paying 70w/50g for a really squishy ship that you can only use once just feels wrong. situational at best.

>> No.2253113

>>2253002
Indeed they are expensive, but when used correctly, they can have a desicive advantage on the battle.

3 Demo ships taking down 7 fireships sounds like a good deal

>squishy ship
Indeed, galleys counter Demo ships, this is why you use them ONLY against fireships

I use petards too, when I want cavalry archer rush someone, the mangodel or the ram takes down the wall way too slow, 2 petards can destroy a gate/wall in a matter of a blink, then my cavs rushes-in the unprepared enemy town, dealing shittons of eco damage.

But the Petards are expensive, dont use them against several lines of wall, use a ram instead.

>> No.2253384
File: 71 KB, 640x392, Absolutely Haram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Meet a guy who plays AoE 2 HD with me despite the different time zones
>We became the epic Frankish-Saracen team
>Ebin Mass Paladins/Elite mameluke combined army
>He still needs practise, I often save his ass from rushes and mass attacks
>Like a lot
>4 vs 4
>Had a bad dark age session and end on the bottom score of my team
>Everything goes smooth so far, until (due not researching town watch) an enemy byzantine lands a castle next to my town
>I try to stop him, but eventually the situation goes from bad to worse
>Cant handle the heat
'Mind helping your buddy?'
>'Sure'
>5 minutes has passed, the byzantine goes to imperial; the Trebuchets are coming
'I need help like right now!'
>He doesnt answer, he is playing with the remains of a dead enemy player
>The byzantine makes rain giant stones on my town
>Chaos
>Brave mamelukes take down lots of Halberdiers and Cataphracts, but they eventally cannot resist the heat and melt away
'I NEED YOUR FUCKING HELP! WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?'
>Look down my town, not so far
>He sent 30 paladins against a mob of halberdiers
'WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?'
>'Im attacking (Purple) Whats wrong?'
>.
>..
>...
'Fuck you'
>I resign
'11 why you resigned?'

>My team wins the match
>He steams chats me
>'Are you mad with me? lol'
'Make your wild guess'
>'Its not my fault that you suck rolf'
>Several flashbacks come to my mind, lots of moment I saved his ass from doom
>He never helped me, not even once
'Kill yourself'
>Close AoE 2
>Close Steam
>Shut down comp

This is why I Jihad people

>> No.2254296

>>2253384

sorry to hear about it

>> No.2255443
File: 168 KB, 1440x900, 3vs1 in a Free For All Match.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219534

My friend tech me how to play, and I was playind Regicide like a month before move to Deathmatch

Goths Master Race, I like spamming infantry like there is no tomorrow

Only Steam and I suck ass

Last Saladin mission, all the Atila mission.
I hate the entire Joan Campaing

Used to be shit and unoptimized like shit. Now is a little better and has ver good mods in the workshop. [I hate all the HD changes they put, like the water and fire]

>> No.2255454

I was thinking of buying the HD version for some online play, has the game been put on sales before ? and at what price ?

>> No.2255473

>>2255454

Yes

60-75% is the usual discount with DLC included

I spent 20 on the game and DLC, regret a little

>> No.2255595

>>2255443
>Those scores
They were 1500's or something?
It seems you got it easy

>>Goth Player
>[Siege Onager production intensifies]

>Last Saladin mission
Quite different mission, all the campaign you used to play aggressively, but that last mission forces you to defend (and maybe counter attack)

Once you have established the mission is quite easy
>Gather some resources before place wonder
>Place a castle pasted to your walls
>Get mams, then upgrade to elite mams
>Get bombard cannons/onagers
>Get 2-3 monks to heal the mams

Also, it (almost) a must to get a rid of the genovesse navy, once you got water control and when you dont have to worry about enemy ships, the mission becomes a little bit easier

I have won that mission on hardest, needed lof of practise

>Patrick Bateman
I will find you and then I will challenge you to a 1vs1 arabia

>> No.2257000

bump

>> No.2259309

Bump again...

>> No.2259968

What's a good time to reach feudal and with what pop?
My dorm banned steam so I am stuck rehearsing strategies against the AI and watching Zeroempire videos
I can get to feudal in 11:15-11:30 with 24 pop is that good?
Should I go to feudal with just 22 pop since about then I have the 500 food?

>> No.2260131

>>2259968
Depends, go fast feudal if you will Feudal rush (Archers rush with Mayans, Britons or Chinese, Scout rush with Mongols or Turks, Infantry rush with Aztecs or Goths); you can also Tower rush your enemy with Koreans or Teutons

If not, get 30-32 poblation and get to castle with a well stablished eco, then when you get to castle you can choose to either Knight rush or Cavalry Archer rush, or just keep booming and out-eco the enemy

Since I main the Saracen, I tend to get to Castle age and get cavalry archer rush, or just simply keep booming.

Also keep in mind Cavalry Archer and Knights rushes are really different

With Knights you can soak up TC fire and kill some farming villagers, and kill some archers and lancemen, but keep on mind once your Knights get a critical HP, they are almost unable to harass without being killed on the action

Cavalry Archers are fairly weak, lacking of sheer hp and armor compared to knights, but they are archers, they got ranged attack, meaning that you dont need to soak up damage in order to harass; also, shooting together they can cause massive damage, I have killed enemy Knights with 2-3 groupal attacks of my Cav archers, they are fast (Husbandry helps too), meaning you will outrun pikemen and skirmishers, giving the opportunity of keep harassing your enemy or just hit-and-running the enemy military

Cavalry Archers > Knights

>> No.2260202

This was probably the first RTS I ever played if not the first PC game. I remember my mind being blown at the use of chatbox to enter cheat codes so it's entirely possible it was the latter. i remember i played el cid missions mostly with the help of furious the monkey boy

Byzantines. dem castles&cataphracts

Nope. Never got into the multiplayer of any RTS really.

I really like the Kyoto one from Conqueror's and the first two Barbarossa missions

It's okay, it performs better than the original ever did for me and that's basically all I would have expected of it. That new mod/campaign you can get for it is weird and not great, some missions really stretch the limits of what you can do in AoE and sometimes it works and sometimes not. The Alaric campaign is pretty fun.

>> No.2260367

>>2219534
I used to always borrow my cousin's copy of AoE II, in exchange for a couple Sega Genesis games or something. It was my favorite PC game from the 90s (or, at least tied with Roller Coaster Tycoon). I started playing it when it was brand new, and, when the Conquerors expansion came out, I bought it right away, as to own my own copy and not have to borrow my cousin's original copy. I was a fan since I was a kid, and I'm still a fan. In fact, this was actually the last game I played on my laptop a couple days ago. It's still in my top 3 most played PC games along with Roller Coaster Tycoon and Civilization IV.

>> No.2260373

>>2260367 >>2219534
Also, I played online with some friends via MSN Game Zone, I often played as the Vikings (and that is still my most used, along with the Britons), and I never really got into the missions. I'd usually just play Conquest, particularly Regicide.

>> No.2260379

>>2260373
Not that guy

But trust me, you can learn a lot from the campaign/missions

I remenber playing that one viking mission
>Sea of worms
>Send my ships in-sea because 'Nah its just a spooky name for a harmless sea'
>Watch at my town for dead farms
>Watch back at the seas
>Navy is gone

I feel stupid now

>> No.2260396
File: 1.32 MB, 1366x768, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2260379
oh man I know that mission, was wondering why do my ships keep dissapearing with no enemy in sight
>>2260131
the thing is everyone recommends you feudal rush and says that you either feudal rush or you get rushed.
Which is true, I lost a lot of games since I was thinking that I wont get attacked until castle age
>infantry rush in feudal
I find this to be inefective since archer can BTFO any infantry, I just get 3-4 spearmen to deal with the scouts and just try to make archers and skirms but I'm still learning so I get overwhelmed when I try to rush and completely forget about my main base and eco

>> No.2260415

>>2260396
I have got rushed, both in Dark Age and Feudal Age, mostly by Aztecs, Japanese, Goths, Celts and Vikings

It's true that is not so effective, but it happened to me, but thats nothing a bunch of micro-managing archers, or just a simple humble mangodel cant solve

>> No.2261749

bump

>> No.2262051

It was raining outside so i booted the game after my dad bought it from a store. I remember getting used to the controls by playing the Wallace campaign.

Either Goths or Brits. Goths because their infantry is so much fun, Brits because their archers are so much fun.

Gameranger. I either kicked ass or got my ass kicked.

My favorite is the Battle of Sterling from the Wallace campaign, i used to play that shit for hours.
I dislike most "defend the wonder" type missions.

Forgotten Empires is GOAT aside from a few networking issues.

>> No.2262747

>>2260396
1v1 you will get rushed if the other player isn't dumb. Infantry in feudal can be a good tactic if your opponent has an open wood or other res which you can harass with m@a plus archers or skirms. Usually i would recommend drushing and going fc in 1v1 rather than going straight to castle. Unless you are a really good player and have a good civ like the Spanish with them conqs.

Nigga conqs are OP

>> No.2263253

>>2262747
>What are mangodels
>What are skirms

>> No.2263292

>>2260396
In Feudal you either Feudal Rush or Fast Castle; there are ways to resist a Feudal Rush while you are fast castling such as churning out a few trash units and building towers on your resources.

The best infantry rush is the Dark Age militia rush, where you make a few militia in the dark age as Aztecs (more starting gold), Celts (faster militia) or some other good Dark Age civ with a solid economic bonus. Typically you'd send 5-8 militia to the enemy base along with a villager or two and start distracting enemy villagers from work while building palisade walls around their berries and gold mines. If you do it right, you can advance to the Feudal Age and upgrade to Men at Arms before the opponent's villagers and town center kill off your militia, and then just go to town on their villagers or resource buildings. Militia rush usually transitions into a Fast Castle taking advantage of the massive economic setback your opponent is dealing with to hit him with some knights.

If you're going Feudal Rush, skirms and/or archers are obviously the superior choice, however M@As supported by some skirms may also work. Archers or mass skirms do a much better job of killing villagers while M@As destroy buildings quickly. The former is usually way more useful, but the latter can be also effective, for example you can take down the opponent's smith or market while they're trying to fast castle and delay it by a lot while you're bullying his villagers with skirmishers.

>>2263253
Conquistadors outmaneuver mangonel shots, outrange skirms and deal full damage to them. Everyone keeps saying how Mangudai is the best UU, but for me it's Conquistador hands down. Mobile, ranged and effective against everything including skirms, siege, buildings and ships. Nothing can stop a Conquistador death ball with some micro.

>> No.2263348

Any tips for playing 1v1 and resource management? Is it just "sell a bunch of food and wood for gold"?

>> No.2263401

>>2263253
dude, a good flush will kill your fast castle before you get there. I should mention that I'm talking about arabia since it's the standard map that everybody plays. Since it's so open it's difficult to wall and just make eco till you can up to castle and build a mangonel.

Also, check your privilege you retarded noob, should be grateful people spend time trying to show you how much of an idiot you are and that to play with good players you should know more than just

>Fast Castle

>> No.2264553

Someone post the story about AoE2's dog. It's pretty heart-breaking.

>> No.2265000

>>2263401
>Also, check your privilege you retarded noob, should be grateful people spend time trying to show you how much of an idiot you are and that to play with good players you should know more than just

Okay buddy
gg

>> No.2265028

>>2264553
Whats the story of that little flying buddy?

>> No.2265185
File: 223 KB, 1280x1024, photo030608001[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2265028

Woof Woof -- All birds turn into heroic flying dogs called 'Stormy Dog'

"Q) Could you tell us a little about 'Stormy Dog'?
A) I rescued him as puppy (a breeder had been throwing unwanted puppies down the storm drain to get rid of them) on Jan 15th, 1997, while working 16 hours days on AoE. Most of the other people at Ensemble had put personal things in the game as cheats, etc, but I was denied. (A lot of them did it first and asked for permission later, or didn't ask at all - I asked first), I was finally given the OK, but had literally, only 4 hours in which to get the the art, the database changes, and any code changes done, before the release candidate of the game was submitted to Microsoft. Duncan McKissick did the art for me, and with about 15 minutes to spare, I put in a tribute to the first, and so far the only, dog I have ever had. He got sick and died in May 2008." - ES_MattP

>> No.2265768
File: 9 KB, 348x352, 102805373.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> seeing replay match
> turk vs celt
> celt begins attack with halberdiers and champions, turk attacks with spamming light cavalry
> needless to say, infantry completely destroys the light cavalry/husars
> mfw the only thing the turk player does is keep creating light cavalry

Was he fucking retarded?

>maybe if I create enough scissors I'll beat roco

>> No.2265956

>>2265768
>turk player
>doesn't make gunpowder
Absolute heresy

>> No.2265960

>>2265768
>turk player
>Was he fucking retarded?
You didn't have to provide any more details.

>> No.2267739

>>2233043
fucking this x1000
I don't care about atlantis, give me something different.

>>2219534
AoE was my first PC game. I was like 10 at the time. One year later, I got AoE II Gold edition. I shit several bricks.

>Favorite Civ.
AoK: Franks AoC: Spanish AoF: Mygars I love cavalry and gunpowder. Oh, and Romans in AoE.

No

Dunno about favorite, but the one I hate the most is the Joan one where you have to storm Paris, and keep 10 villagers alive. Fuck that mission.

Fuck yeah!

>> No.2269483

Why the Persian voice-quotes sounds like really retarded?

>> No.2269749

>>2265956
He actually made some, but the light cavalry he qas creating was a shitty meatshield and thus his jenizars couldn't do much and were quickle beaten by the infantry

>> No.2271937

>Barbarrosa's last mission
>build a castle
>research Spies
>mission is 100x easier

>> No.2272001

>>2244078
I thought it was on the manual for AoE3?

>> No.2274394

do we ever organise hd games on here? would love to get some regular people to play semi casually with, 3v3 or 4v4 ideally.

>> No.2275819

>tfw once hit the 1735 ELO
>tfw stucked around 1600-1650

It's possible to 'git bad'?

>>2274394
I would love to play a match with /vr/os, and Im pretty sure their ELO's would be 1800+

>> No.2276073

>>2275819
Are you talking about voobly or hd elo?
Because 16xx in HD is way too bad dude, just learn basic dark age build orders and you'll improve a lot.

>> No.2276358

>>2276073
No, fuck that
I know all the basic shit (most of it); the thing is, I just get massively out-played by pros

>Have a bunch of castles, 10 stables, a monastery and a bunch of Siege Workshops to create my army
>The enemy has pulled (from the fucking nowhere) 200 barracks all over the map
>300 halbs and 100 skirms, my siege onagers are not enough to kill them all, and they simply will keep coming

Like I said before, I know the basic, I know how to Castle/Feudal rush, tower rush, knight rush (but never use it, I mostly go cavalry archer rush), etc, but it seems I keep somehow outplayed

This reminds me of my Starcraft years, Im surprised this kind of players exists in AoE, I never was surprised when a korean pro utterly destroyed all my shit, but in AoE 2 is kind of different.

>tfw not pro but not noob
>Half of the games in lobbies consists in "3vs3 Black Forest no rush until imperial"
>Fuck that
>And the other half are arabia/mongolia maps, filled with 1800-1900 ELO players
>Try to join the pro game, get kicked without hesitation

Man, this sucks.

>> No.2278298

>>2276358
hmm, you should be ok jumping to 17xx if you play enough arabia 1v1s to get a good build order. It's just grinding after a certain level. I would volunteer to help you but I only go online every 6months, no time whatsoever to play anymore

>> No.2279068

>>2278298
>hmm, you should be ok jumping to 17xx if you play enough arabia 1v1s
Yeah I think I will do that

I should stop hosting Oasis and Team Island games and try more Arabia and Mongolia

>> No.2279080
File: 59 KB, 415x423, 1421905022646.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The new AI is absolutely insane. I am an okay player that knows every trick in the book (micro is still rusty though, but not terrible, I'm not a casual player) but unless I use some all-out rush strat like dark age militia rush or feudal scout rush, I get utterly overwhelmed by the moderate AI. The moment I castle the computer comes with a huge army of archers, knights and several rams and just wipes me out before I can put out any knights and pikes of my own.

I get that the Forgotten AI was made for die-hard autistic pro gamers who have been playing AoE II 10 hours a day since the release but they could've toned it down in the new public release.

>> No.2280087

>>46927964
I'm not having any problem
> the forgotten
Oh

Wow, I would have never expected it

>> No.2280393

>Saracen vs Teuton BF 1vs1 game
>He's 1780 and Im 1623
>Start game, everything going smooth
>Funny thing, it seems I had a better Dark Age session than him
>Get to castle age and cavalry archer rush him
>Somewhat effective
>Get to imperial
>Spam hand cannoners against mass pikes
>He masses skirms
>I get Hussars and siege fire
>Have a massive army of Hand cannoners, Hussars, bombard cannons, elite mamelukes and a few monks
>Slowly making a push
>Eventually destroy his main town
>>>He got Siege onagers
'Fuck'
>He is cutting a new path to a new base
>When I realize, he got 400 halbs rushing both my army and town
>My army counters them but with casualities
>He sents a massive scout rush at my TCs, which get utterly destroyed by my Elite mamelukes
>It was a trap
>When I realize, a few Siege onagers killed my hand cannoners
>Shittons of halbs and scouts rushing my base
'gg'
>'11 you suck so bad'
>tfw I get really mad

I admit I should've prevent him to rush my TC by placing a few walls and a castle, and that I should have mass skirms by that moment
But what it really bothers me is that I was 'Strategically' superior than him
I mowed down his main army without any casualties, utterly destroyed all his base, only to be stupidly defeated against a massed trash army, and by the fact, for every building I destroyed, he built another one in another place, in fact, when I resigned, I realized he got like 70 barracks spreaded on the map pumping full Halbs

>> No.2280421

>>2280393
The only true defeat is the one that shouldn't have happened.
tl;dr you dun guff'd

>> No.2280494

>>2280421
I know, I feel stupid

>> No.2282627

bamp

>> No.2284164

>Goths
>Having both Hand Cannoner and Bombard Cannon

The Hand Cannoner is sort of okay, like an aid to champions in order to counter enemy infantry, but I dont think the Goths should have the Bombard Cannon

>Saracen vs Goth
>Shittons of mamelukes and Siege Onagers vs mobs of Skirms, huskarls, halbs and Onagers
>Goths enter in Saracen field
>Dead
>Sarancens enter in Gothic field
>Dead
>The match ends in a massive Siege Onager/Bombard Cannon deathmatch

I wont lie, it was sort of amusing match
Never have seen so many Siege fire focused in such a little battlefield (With the exception of the Celtic Siege army)

>> No.2284184

I wonder if it's possible to strip the Steam bullshit out of the HD edition and pirate it?

Fuck I wish http://play0ad.com/media/screenshots/ would take off already.

>> No.2284202

>>2284184
It's possible to pirate the Steam version of AoE 2 HD?

I have dowloaded AoE 2 HD: The Forgotten, no multiplayer, just played the whole campaigns
Yes, it is possible

Its okay, but its gets pretty boring without multiplayer avaliable

>> No.2284213

>>2284202

I always found the AI a fair match. I'm one of those people who tends to imbue NPCs with idiosyncrasies they likely do not have, so no multi doesn't bother me in the slightest.

A pity I cannot torrent to check it out.

>> No.2284221

>>2284213
If I remenber correctly, I downloaded that game from the Pirate Bay.

I guess

If you want I can try to check it out again

>> No.2284239

>>2284221

...You'd do that for me? ;-;

Wow. Anon is a nice guy. Sure, if you have the time.

>> No.2284278

...just to keep it in mind, there's still the chance to get the fanmade expansion AoF for non-HD AoE2, right?

>> No.2284284

>>2284239
Right now I cant really because Im in my job (well, kind of) but in a few hours later I will check where did I downloaded that AoE 2 HD The Forgotten

Be patient

>> No.2284565

>>2225636
y

>> No.2284624

>>2284239
https://pirateproxy.sx/torrent/9159877/Age.of.Empires.II.HD.The.Forgotten-RELOADED

Im not sure is THAT one, but it seem to work for me
But you gotta test in your machine, of course

>> No.2286196

Slowly building a Teuton civilization and crushing a single easy AI after two hours.

Goths. You don't need stone walls when you have flesh walls.

Nope. I haven't played since the MSN Zone was still around.

Most missions were simply starting up the steamroller. The Joan mission where you don't have an economy (it may have been the first) was crap-tier.

I'm tempted to buy it. I know how nostalgia works and I would probably be sorely disappointed.

About the HD edition, besides graphics, what else has changed? I see you guys mention hundreds of units when the unit cap was 200 in the original. And what's with all this talk about onagers? I rarely saw them used due to high cost, low range, and low projectile velocity.

>> No.2286561

>>2286196
>I would probably be sorely disappointed.
And why you think that?
What gives you that feeling?

>About the HD edition, besides graphics, what else has changed?
You can set the population limit to 500
You can play in fan-made versions maps:
>Dry arabia
Its the same as Arabia, but without those annoying mini-oasis
>Green arabia
A pseudo-arabia with plenty of resources, you will see more green ground than desert
>Michi
See it yourself

Besides that, there is not really a big change, it stays as the regular 'The concquerors' original game.

Also
>Goth player
>Not using Onagers
Color me surprised

Onagers are really good to mow down archers and mobs, of course they are expensive, but well-used, they can be a great investement for your army

>low-range
>Maximum full upgraded Siege Onagers has a range of 9
>Korean Siege Onagers has a range of 11

>low projectile velocity
Onagers projectiles are not really slow, nor fast enough
Bombard canons and scorpions projectiles are way faster than onager projectiles, but indeed they are faster compared to trebuchet projectiles

>> No.2286570

>>2284624

I cannot torrent. As I told you.

>> No.2286624

>>2286570
Well fug
Why?

>> No.2286627
File: 1.00 MB, 600x900, In Sight Of Apocalypse.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2286624

I have no idea. I tried multiple clients, each one would take so long to redraw the GUI after every click they were unusable. I tried a torrent add-on for Firefox, it wouldn't even connect to any peers.

My bet is that either my ISP is interfering or that my computer just can't handle it. I'm on a Vista laptop with a Celeron and Intel graphics. It couldn't get any worse if it tried.

>> No.2286698

>>2230101
>fully upgrade cataphracts
> try to see how much damage a fully upgraded helebard deals
> lose exactly 1 health

>> No.2286819

>>2286698
Goth players be like
>Fuuug :DDDD

>> No.2287086

>>2219534
Empire Earth was better AOE was a toy pop gun compared to the RPG EE was.

>> No.2287319

>>2287086
Entirely incomparable games.

AoE II is a classic competitive RTS with only a veneer of a "civilization-building" game that was never actually the case.

EE was a full-blown "real-time Civilization" game.

It depends on what kind of playstyle you like. I greatly enjoyed dicking around with different settings and ages in EE but playing through an entire game to the last age in it is an arduous challenge. AoE is simply far better balanced for multiplayer.

>> No.2287686

>>2286561
if you weren't a retarded shitter you'd knew that those things were possible before the HD edition thanks to userpatch

>> No.2288201

>>2286561
>And why you think that?
>What gives you that feeling?

AoK is a well-made game, but without my old group of gaming buddies I doubt I would get much enjoyment out of it.

>Onagers are really good to mow down archers and mobs, of course they are expensive, but well-used, they can be a great investement for your army

In an overly long game large numbers of onagers could be devastating, but a few in castle or early imperial ages would get knocked out easily and waste a lot of gold. Towers and castles outranged them, so their use as siege weapons was impractical compared to massed infantry or trebuchets.

>> No.2288350

>>2288201
they're pretty meh unless you're playing Mongols or something like that, massed trash units and trebuchets are the way to go

>> No.2288369

>>2220264
>That part in the Spanish campaign where you play as the Saracens.

>> No.2288378

>>2219887
>Couldn't you give Greeks a siege weapon bonus that would make sense instead of giving them to Sumerians and Hittites who DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TORSION SIEGE WEAPONS IN REAL LIFE and didn't even survive until the iron age

Balance mate, that's why the Britons, who were among the earliest recorded users of gunpower weapons in western Europe didn't get any gunpowder units while the Goths, a collection of barbarian tribes which died out or settled in the Dark ages do.

>> No.2288438

>>2224020
You got a cool grannie there mate.

I actually own the PS2 version myself, I barely played it as I got the PC version a short while later.

>> No.2288543

>>2244057
The mission was a push-over even more than the other missions if you're referring to the one where you essentially start as nomads.
Also I don't understand why designers insist on nomad missions, they sucked in AoE, they sucked in AoM, and they still suck to this day.

>> No.2288550
File: 872 KB, 1024x768, Alexander Of Macedon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288543

Fuck you, I liked starting with fuck-all and becoming the single most powerful civilization on the map.

Felt righteous.

>> No.2288551

>>2288550
ain't nobody got time for that tho

>> No.2288557

>>2288551

Then play shitty-ass bite-sized mobile games and fuck off.

>> No.2288561

>>2288557
more like go play some autistic survival/city builder game and come back when you're ready to get real

>> No.2288578
File: 1010 KB, 1280x720, DiligentBadAsiantrumpetfish.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288201
What are you even talking about, the mangonel line are literally the most efficient units in the game. They might be easy to knock down but a lone Mangonel in Castle Age can easily kill an entire stack of Crossbowmen with a well-placed shot and return your gold investment twofold while saving your ass. In fact Crossbowmen and a Mangonel is pretty much the most efficient Castle Age army composition if you're not going Knight rush.

I used to think just like you and only use the Siege Workshop for the Rams but then I tried actual multiplayer games and learned that Mangonels is probably the best investment in the game through slaughtering entire poorly-microed armies with lucky isolated Onager shots.

Mangonel-line is rarely practical as siege units because their siege damage is rather low even with Siege Engineers and they are outranged by static defences. But Mangonels aren't really meant for siege, they're meant for anti-personnel work.

>> No.2288603

>>2288578
>deathmatch
I see... getting the most use out of them is a lot easier when you play retardmode. Rams were rarely used either.

>> No.2288607
File: 2.45 MB, 1024x1489, Cepheus' Ruin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2288561

>"get real"
>now apparently a synonym for "get retarded"

Stay mad wage slave. :)

>> No.2288615
File: 2.21 MB, 1677x600, Medieval warfare.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219534
I borrowed it from the library when I was 11 years old. I distinctly remember making a huge effort to catch the AI's scout cavalry when it entered my town in my first match, because I thought that if I killed it before it returned to its own town the AI player wouldn't find out that it had discovered me. I also thought that "trebuchet" was pronounced "tree-bucket," couldn't figure out how to unpack them, and assumed they were some sort of battering ram that wasn't working properly.

The Turks. They've got a great special unit and very powerful naval and siege forces. It can take a huge number of enemy troops to get through a formation of heavy camels, janissaries, and monks. In addition, you can sneakily use their gold mining advantage to strip mine the map early and starve the other players out. I still wonder what happened to the Janissaries' hats, though...

I might have used Gameranger once or twice, but I don't recall the experience. Voobly I've never heard of. I've been playing LAN with my brother, father, and friends for 16 years, though - it's still a traditional part of our New Year's Eve parties.

Favorite is probably the first mission from the Ghenghis Khan campaign. I really like the details crafted into the map, as well as its sheer size. Least favorite is hard to say - I don't remember many that I really strongly disliked. I guess one of the Aztec campaign missions, since I recall those being frustratingly long and drawn-out.

I was extremely hyped for it, which made its overwhelmingly buggy release all the more disappointing. The thing that will always stick with me is that they advertised it all along as being compatible with Windows XP, and it actually WASN'T for at least a month after release, until they patched it in.

>> No.2288881

>>2288603
Yes, because you totally can't do that in an RM game.

Also,
>DM
>retard mode
You don't know much about this game do you.

>> No.2288913

i'm bad at AoE2: what's the appropriate response to a british guy with some castles, a shitload of longbow men and some infantry fodder. i can never beat whoever plays britons when i play with my friends

>> No.2289013

>>2288913
skirms, SO, rams, paladins, rams+mangu, CA raid at eco, trebbing castles before he makes army, etc.

>> No.2289561

>>2288369
Saracens and Spanish are bros

>> No.2289567

>>2288578
>That Siege Onager kills
Automatic orgasm

>> No.2289718

>>2288578

#REKT

>> No.2289972

>>2288913
Basically what >>2289013 said

The Britons is one of those civs that fully developed can be a real pain in the ass

Focus on taking him out before its too late

>> No.2289982
File: 1.19 MB, 1000x707, Dream Ruins.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2265185

You have just ruined my night. I hope you are happy.

>> No.2290801

>>2279080
>The new AI is absolutely insane

top kek, I came to post here exactly for this reason.
I am stuck without steam access for some months and I'm playing against the Computer AI at hardest and the Conqueror Ai at hardest.
They both are weak man.
So far the AI always Fast castles
I reach feudal with 24 pop in 11:20-11:40 and I have enough time to harass him.
I can't stop him from getting gold for castle, but he will build a market/go to some far away camp
anyway even if he castles I just camp at his 2 gold piles and it's done. I can eco safely build army. I do get later in castle but as I've said he doesn't have any gold because I put a tower and spread the units so he can't get it.
It's totally a joke, he can't prepare for me when I attack him in feudal, I never lost against him so far.

my elo is 1590 to give a perspective, the most mediocre of mediocre

>>2280393
it's okay m8, seemes like a nice game

>> No.2292815

>long ass thread
>no room in any platform to play
you had one job /vr/

>> No.2294305
File: 811 KB, 1276x717, aoe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219534
I play AOK since 2000 I think, but I don't really care about random maps against AI or in multiplayer (I actually tried multiplayer only with the HD version and I get raped each time).

What I love with this game are the campaigns, there's a charm to this game that scenarios can just feel like you're actually living the historical events. The heavengames blacksmith hosts tons of custom made campaigns which are fucking insane, they even make the original campaigns feel limited in scope. There are some ambitious projects in there that twist the games mechanics and possibilities so that they actually make RPGs out of scenarios, have tons of special effects and hours-long campaigns with thousands of triggers. It's really a community that loves the game and pushed its limits way more than what the developers intended to. With the awesome music and all it can be an extremely immersive game.

I also goof around in the editor (pic related) it just feels comfy.

>> No.2294342

>>2294305
Are you serious man? I used to think AOK seemed pretty realistic too when I was 12, but then again I also used to think Braveheart was a pretty cool and historically accurate movie. I admit AOK does set a certain epic mood, but it's pretty fucking terrible when it comes to actual history.

>> No.2294415

>>2290801
I can beat any AI no problem if I use some ultra-aggressive tactic (tower their gold, militia rush, early feudal skirm rush etc.) too, but if I go for any slightly more relaxed strat without all-out early aggression it gives me a run for my money. Two AIs become too much to handle. My point is that an AI that flat-out requires a rush strat or some cheese to win is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Also AI doesn't just fast castle in my experience, even the standard Forgotten AI did plenty of feudal rushes and tower rushes against me on my memory.

>>2288378
Mongols having Champions is even worse

>> No.2294420

>>2294415
Or viking berserkers actually using horned helmets, or Celts literally having a unit named "Woad Raider"

>> No.2294427

>>2294420
Those are ahistorical but easily explained by popular culture.

Mongols having heavy infantry in full plate armed with two-handed swords is significantly harder to explain.

>> No.2294438

>>2294427
It's easily explained by developer lazyness.

>> No.2295082

>>2294342
It's more about the mood than anything. Then again it's a video game, and I don't know if you're talking mostly about graphics or gameplay or history but I played only few others RTS and this is clearly the one I found to be the best. There is just more possibility in it than in, say, a Cossacks, even the later's mechanics can be use to simulate larger battles.

>> No.2295186

>Play a game
>Fail miserably
>Get mad, not because I lost
>Because I sucked so bad and I get rekt so bad like 1500 ELO player
>Knowing that in the past I have taken down players way better than me, I have taken down giants
>Yet fail this hard

The correct word is Frustration
How comes I sucked so bad? I know I'm better than this.

>> No.2296093

>>2295186
tell me about it
>reach to 17xx a few years ago
>start working
>fail at life and get rekt by 14xx
I didn't ask for this

>> No.2296693

>>2296093
>tfw

But keep on mind that there are high ELO players disguised as low ELO players

Context of that game?

>> No.2298119

>>>2296693
>3 games
>got forwarded all three times, the first i was surprised but the other two i was expecting them
>still got wrecked under 40 mins

>> No.2298441

>>2294415

the problem with the AI if you let him do his thing is that most players can't out-boom him
his placement of TC is perfect, he never forgets to make villagers, so you end up with him sending tens of units in your 2 castle meat grinder that never stop flowing

>> No.2298456

>>2298119
By context, I mean what happened in that game
What you did (or you didnt) to be defeated?

Also, tell the biggest victory you achieved in AoE 2 to make a comparison of it

>> No.2300590

>>2298456
thanks but no thanks