[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 202 KB, 256x352, Battletoads_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2218743 No.2218743 [Reply] [Original]

So how long did it take for you to beat this game? Did you use cheats? Did you warp or did you painstakingly memorize each level after starting over countless times?

>> No.2218781

>>2218743
yes

>> No.2218782

>>2218743
I don't care to beat it no more. It's too hard and not even that great. It's fun but I always thought the game was mostly a beat 'em up. It's barely a beat 'em up. Which disappointed me.

>> No.2218784

Never played it past the second level. Is it really as difficult as faggots say or has it been overblown like a lot of other "totally impossible! XD" retro games?

>> No.2218797

>>2218784
Why don't you tell us, seeing as how you've never made it past the second level and all...

>> No.2218803

I didn't cheat and I didn't use warps. I decided that if I was going to beat Battletoads I was going to do it right.

It's actually not that hard once you learn how to gain extra lives. You can gain a fuckload of extra lives.

I'll never forget the ending. After you defeat the Dark Queen she comes back up one last time in the middle of the screen and if she hits you you lose health. I was on my last life and she hit me when she came back up the middle because I didn't know that shit, and I had like two fucking health points left. It dropped me down to one. If I had died there after beating her I would've been crying the blues lol.

>> No.2218809

>>2218743
I can't beat it warpless. I don't think I've made it through Volkmire's Inferno without running out of lives. I'm sure with practice it would become as easy as Turbo Tunnel but I always say fuck it and use the warps. I have beaten it with warps though. My brother played it a LOT as a kid, I learned a lot from him, plus attempts myself here and there. Also there was a time when we would use the inifinite lives code with Game Genie to get further and practice.

>>2218784
It's a tough game. By arcade standards, it's right about average. There are much harder games on the NES, that's for sure.

>> No.2218810

>>2218797
I didn't quit out of frustration with its difficulty, just the lack of desire to keep playing.

>> No.2218815

>>2218809
>Volkmire's Inferno

This level only has two hard parts that I remember:

1. When you have to dodge rockets that come from both the top and the bottom. I usually died a life or two there.

2. That part at the end where you have to move quickly down up down I think it went.

If you can beat the last level then you definitely can beat Volkmire's Inferno.

>> No.2218823

>So how long did it take for you to beat this game?
About 1 or 2 weeks playing it a LOT every day.

>Did you use cheats?
No.

>Did you warp or did you painstakingly memorize each level after starting over countless times?
I did use warps to get to levels I hadn't memorized yet faster, but once I memorized every level I went back and finished the game without warping twice in a row.

Overall, I'm glad I did it, but I don't know that I'll ever play this game again and it really made me lose interest in memorization-heavy games.

>> No.2218826

>>2218815
>1. When you have to dodge rockets that come from both the top and the bottom. I usually died a life or two there.

Protip, hang to far left to avoid all the rockets.(Might be only in the JP version for all I know)

>> No.2219054

>>2218743
I loved this game, can't remember how long it took me to beat it. First time I did it with warps, skipped Arctic Caverns, Volkmire's Inferno and used continues, then decided to learn every level and complete it warpless. Second way is more fun.
It is pretty challenging but it is a test of memory rather than reaction speed. Still, it's probably one of my favourite games.

>> No.2219195

I just "beat" Rat Race for the first time ever but the game locked itself after I destroyed the third bomb. Fun game.

>> No.2219219

>>2219195
This happened to me more than once while trying to beat the game.

Have fun.

>> No.2219223
File: 51 KB, 459x344, EATBIG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219195
>not using pro-strats to finish rat race at the first bomb

GET ON MY LEVEL!
C'MON

>> No.2219236

>>2219223
I almost got it once, but unless you get down the race to a consistent pattern you can't predict where the rat lands. And you only get 3 continues so...