[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 38 KB, 500x500, RE2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2218238 No.2218238 [Reply] [Original]

How do I not suck at doing a no save under 2:30 hours speed run of Leon B scenario?

>> No.2218271

>>2218238

well you could use the infinite ammo cheat

>> No.2218390

>>2218271
I would rather legit run it. Also going for the A rank so no first aid.

>> No.2218417

>>2218238
Get a notebook and analyze your playtrough in depth.
Play trough the game and analyze it again.
Compare your analyses for further insight.

Doing this is really fun and you will gain an extremely powerful habit if you keep at it.

>> No.2218487

>>2218238

The best tips I have are :
>do a test run of the game where time and number of saves mean jack shit.
>If you think it'll help you memorize things, write down everything you learn
>Fuck around dodging enemies, figuring out the best route to just run by.
>Memorize the locations of every single item of every kind
>do your best to figure out the best order to do things in, then memorize what items and weapons you need and when, THEN work out when to visit item boxes and what to take. The single biggest waste of time in any RE is running back to item chests. So learn to drop shit off on the way by one, not waste space and take only what you need
>figure out how much ammo of what types bosses take to kill, then pick up only what ammo you absolutely NEED
>do your best to only pick up items that you don't kneel to grab (this will keep the pace of the game up)
>Only kill enemies you have to or ones that will make getting around easier. So if there's a hall with a bunch of zombies bunched together that you travel through a bunch of times, kill them. If there's a clear path to dodge, then leave them be.
>ignore all optional stuff. You don't need the s. machinegun, you don't need to enter the optional room in the lab, you don't need to put up the shutters in either zombie hallway. Just work around those things (witch takes a lot less time, actually)
>don't do anything "just because", I don't care how OCD you are about RE2
>Don't use the handgun longer than you have to. There's more than enough ammo to lean on the shotgun for most of the game.
>Run everywhere
>don't even think about the knife
>if you get flustered, pause the game and think
>pick up every f. aid spray and avoid herbs at all costs. They use up tons of space and time.
>after you learn what you need to know, try speed runs, but save often.
>once you get to a time you like and you're feeling good about your level of skill, try a no-save run. Though I honestly feel like no-save runs are boring.

>> No.2218857

Which was your favorite of the classic RE games /vr/? Why do you guys feel RE2 usually gets the most love?

>> No.2218865

>>2218857
Partly nostalgia, partly because it's the most complete package and overall best game.

RE3 has better gameplay, more replay value, better balance and more potential for challenge runs.

RE1 is a great game in it's own right and has arguably the best atmosphere of the original 3.

But RE2 is like the original concept, perfected. Everything RE1 set out to do, RE2 did better.
And then some. And unlike RE3, it has more of a solid structure. It's better put together.
On top of that, the scenario system gave the game more replay value, without having to randomize everything or give the player too much control like RE3 did.

It's the perfect RE, and is only rivaled by REmake, honestly. And REmake has more fluff features and content than RE2 does, making it arguable that RE2 was the better of the two. Personal preferences aside, of course.

I'd even argue that it's better than the best of the modern entries. But that's because the modern entries are carried entirely by their gameplay. As almost all modern games are.

So they're fun and entertaining and all, but they don't require anything more than determination and decent aim to beat. RE2 is more than that.

It's exploration, puzzles, item management, learning enemy locations, memorizing item locations, working out what to do and when to get your time down. Every little detail in the game has it's place in the mind of a good RE2 player.

All a good RE4 player is thinking about is saving up money for that shotgun upgrade so he can kill more things. There's no strategy. No brains required. Just point and click.

And THAT'S why RE2 will always be the best RE.

>> No.2218896

>>2218865
Anon that was a very well said post right there. I haven't played REmake until recently and it's taken awhile to dethrone RE2 but I think I finally for sure can say that REmake is the best of the older style RE games. It is the game that finally dethroned RE2 in my eyes. It's also the best RE imo period.

Sadly I foolishly used to think RE4 was the best one or second best one for awhile until I replayed it again learning the error of my old way of thinking. It's still a very solid well made game but it would have been better suited as a spin off of RE. I would rank REmake, RE1 and RE2 above it. Maybe even RE3.

What you said about RE2 is pretty much dead on though. There isn't really much they could have done to make it much better. Having that 180 turn for sure would have been a nice addition. No RE3 dodging though. Arrange and harder difficulty modes also would have been neat. I think these are added in non PS1 versions if I am not mistaken. Finally the only other way I think RE2 could have possibly been improved is maybe an extra boss or two that isn't the gator, Mr. X or Birkin. I also would have liked to been able to skip dialogue after so many playthroughs. This is all just nitpicks however. Since the game really is amazing. It's not like these things would have vastly improved an already incredible game.

Even though I would rank RE2 really close to REmake I got to go with REmake as best RE now. It made me realize that a REmake 2 really should happen even more so than I thought before. These are some of my favorite games of all time. I wish Capcom was still as good as they were.

>> No.2218973

>>2218896
>>2218865
RE2 is a poor RE game.
It's a clone of 1 with less memorable locations.
It's by far the easiest too. They basically throw ammunition and healing items at you. The scenarios are cool but so few things get changed that it's kinda redundant to have more than the canon order.

Hunter >>> Licker in all departments, but especially how they were introduced.

>> No.2219156
File: 96 KB, 540x675, RE3Card_crusher_nemesis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RE3 is the best. Deepest gameplay (highest skill ceiling), great pacing and best replay value due all the possibilities in the game.

RE2 is the most liked because it is the most sold and therefore the most played and many people's first RE. But honestly? It's a poor copy of RE1, that's "technically speaking" superior, but that's worse in every other way.
Everything is exactly like in RE1, you get the mansion that you explore in a similar fashion with the same number of keys opening aproximatively the same number of rooms which have the same purposes (like the optional rooms with the last key to get strong supplies), the way you go out then come back with the last key and find hunters/lickers then go underground and finally find an Umbrella lab that explodes... Everything is the same, except with a schizophrenia syndrom in terms of location (the game doesn't know if it wants to take place in a town, a mansion or a police department), worse survival gameplay (for instance they had to throw tons of ammo at the player because contrary to in RE1, you HAVE to kill every single boss) and worse pacing.
Also you know how in RE1 (and 3 as well) you have all those possibilities in each scenario depending on what the PLAYERS does? Well all that in gone in RE2, and instead you have artificial length with FOUR scenarios where at least 90% of each is exactly the same. That's a poor way to go at it, it takes players for fools. It is better for replay value to have one or two scenarios with several ways to go at it depending on your actions rather than 4 static scenarios which are 90% the same.

I genuinely believe that people who think RE2 is the best and who think RE3 is just a quick cash-in are people who have only played each game once, maybe twice, and who have only looked at the surface of each game. Once you seriously get into each game, you realize RE2's weaknesses and RE3's depth and tight design.

>> No.2219170

>>2218896
There is arrange mode in the PC versions of RE2, and iirc Dreamcast as well. But arrange mode is actually the original Jap version of the game, with easier difficulty (you have more hp), and a few ammo placement that's different (generally speaking ammo is more in sight and less hidden). Everything else is the same.
There is a nightmare difficulty in the PC and Dreamcast versions as well, if you haven't tried it, do try it right now, it is a masterpiece and the best difficulty of any RE game ever, I won't say more to save you the surprise. It gets unlocked in the original PC and DC versions after beating a scenario B, but in the PC re-release (the Sourcenext version), it gets unlocked after only beating a Scenario A. Sourcenext version is only in Jap though, so it's in Japanese, but there is a patch that partially translates the game (if you need it), and if you play the Jap version in "Arrange" mode it is actually exactly like the western versions.

You can skip cutscenes in the Gamecube version of RE2.

The original PC version of RE2 also has the advantage of having a small modding community. There are a few mods that are worth playing like Requiem of Spies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1K0Qkd13Zw

I don't believe a remake of RE2 could be done right these days, and that fan made one looks pretty bad imo.

>> No.2219484

>>2218973
Just because RE2 is easy doesn't make it a bad game. It's very good. How could you say the station and secret lab isn't as memorable as the locations in RE1? RE2's secret lab is better than the 1st games.

I have always liked licker's better than hunters. Although I agree that hunters had a better introduction since they were introduced later on in the game rather than very early.

>> No.2219748

>>2219484
It's just a weaker Resident Evil 1. I was disappointed playing RE2 after the glorious first one. In the case of classic survival horror Resident Evil being easy really hurts it. I mean, what else does the game offer? The puzzles suck, the gunplay and controls suck. The tight survival horror makes the gameplay good. The atmosphere makes the gameplay good. And survival horror and atmosphere were done way better in the first one.

>I genuinely believe that people who think RE2 is the best and who think RE3 is just a quick cash-in are people who have only played each game once, maybe twice
I disagree. The first playtrough of each classic Resident Evil will always be the best and have the hugest impact. Therefore I was disappointed when I noticed that RE2 was just a weaker clone of the first game.

>> No.2221146

>>2218487
>don't even think about the knife
why?

>> No.2221184

>>2221146
It's REALLY useless in RE2.

>> No.2221189

>>2218238
Wait...there are B scenarios? I only did normal playthrough of Leon and Claire. Never bothered playing it again. I don't even remember anything from the game anymore. I've played the shit out of RE1 and RE3 though.

>> No.2221190

>>2219748
>escaping the police station
>crawling through sewers
>making your way into umbrella
>fighting deep into the laboratory
>shit like fighting inside moving trains
>secret spy chick helping you from the shadows
Shit like that is why people like re2 better. they're both good but re1 is just a haunted house.

>> No.2221581

Did everyone forget about the EX minigame in RE2? It was in the Dualshock version.

That shit was pretty fun to do runs on, especially when you started running into Mr. X's and G-spawns as NORMAL enemies!

I grant that RE3 has the Mercenaries mode(I fully admit that I am too casual to even come CLOSE to winning that with anyone), and RE:CV has the Battle Game, but I would put the EX version above those.

>> No.2221595

>>2221581
Mercenaries for RE3 isn't all that great to me. It's a lot better in the later games. To me tank control fixed camera RE works much better with less emphasis on action.

>> No.2221606

>>2221189
Yeah, dude. Whatever you do in Scenario A affects Scenario B. I hear Leon A/Claire B can really kick your ass.

>> No.2221625

Why are so many people parroting this stupid "copy of RE1" bullshit lately about RE2? Did you guys read some article from some moron or watch a clickbait video? The only thing they even share is some similar level design.

>> No.2222295

>>2221581
>>2221595
I think Mercenaries is better than RE2's; the sound the game makes when you kill an enemy and win time at the same time is very satisfying, and the fact that it's timed and that if you're not fast enough you won't save all civilians makes it really tense. You should try winning it at least with Nicholai, with him it's pretty easy. Make sure to save civilians for extra items.
RE1 on Saturn has a battle mode as well which I find pretty great.

The good thing with Ex Battle Mode in RE2 is that it has difficulty settings and on PC/Dreamcast versions you can play it in Nightmare difficulty.

>> No.2223069

>>2222295
>Nicholai

I think you mistyped there champ.

>> No.2223173

>>2221189

You've literally missed out on half of the game's bosses and probably 10% of the game's areas. The narrative elements also significantly change in the B scenarios.

>> No.2226489

git gud

>> No.2226550

>>2219156
I can agree with you that RE3 is the best of the original 3 games.
But i wont agree with you that RE1 was better than RE2.
RE2 had much tighter gameplay, better bosses, enviroments and better pacing.

>> No.2226585

>>2226550
Better pacing in RE2? Once you finished the police department you were already done with the game because there was no resistance later on.

Bosses are both pretty bad in the first two games. You have two bosses in RE2 where you just need to stand and shoot till they drop dead and I don't know if you can consider the crocodile a boss because he is merely build like a puzzle. The gameplay was worse considering they cut most of the survival aspect from the game with the flood of herbs and ammunition. Where exactly are the environments better? They're pretty much a direct copy of 1 with the only addition in 2 being the very few streets filled with zombies. I guess the intro of Resident Evil 2 is better than the one in the first. The scenario B lab is also better than the lab in RE1, it's one of the easiest parts in both games. Greenhouse and sewers are both meh, although the sewers are more iconic because of the crocodile. The mansion is more iconic than the police department and they really outdid themselves replicating this part in RE2 with the police department, but I guess the environments might be better in RE2.

>> No.2226716

>>2226585
>Bosses are both pretty bad in the first two games.

I disagree. Bosses were great in RE1, at least gameplay wise, because there is only 2 bosses that you HAVE to kill (Tyrant in the lab and 2nd Yawn encounter). All the other bosses you don't have to kill, and there are alternative ways, which for a survival horror is great, like if you're out of ammo. That's exactly why RE2 has so much fucking ammo everywhere, because there are tons of bosses and you HAVE to kill every single one of them.

>The scenario B lab is also better than the lab in RE1, it's one of the easiest parts in both games.

I disagree. Personally I like the lab in RE1 much better, it has that "small hidden and dirty lab for crazy scientists" vibe, which fits the game and its b-movie atmosphere perfectly.
RE2's lab is entirely different, it goes overboard, is a lot less realistic, and drops the "b horror movie" vibe for something that feels a lot more like big blockbuster action movies. I find it to be a lot less believeable, a lot less scary, and a lot less realistic.

I think RE2's mansion, oops I mean, Police Department, suffers from a schyzophrenia syndrom. Like it doesn't really know what it wants to be, like it wants to be exactly like RE1, but it wants to be more, but it's not sure how he should do that so in the end it's not that different while pretending it is. On top of that the game keeps telling you that it takes place in Raccoon City, except it only really takes place in the RPD which is only a small part of it, so that adds to the schyzophrenia of the setting.

>> No.2226736

>>2226716
>On top of that the game keeps telling you that it takes place in Raccoon City, except it only really takes place in the RPD which is only a small part of it

if you ignore the dash through the streets to the police station. And the sewers. And the hall with reaching arms. And city backdrop when you're outside. And the citizen zombies. And the opening cinematic.

But sure. 4 keys, 4 crests. The fact they used the same path structure absolutely confuses the setting and isn't a minor nitpick.

>> No.2226748

>>2226716
The first tyrant encounter is the most pointless boss in the whole series. He is just there so they can surprise you later on with his revival.

>> No.2226756

>>2226585
>I don't know if you can consider the crocodile a boss

How many people seriously still think you can't kill it the traditional way?

>> No.2226759

>>2226748
>The first tyrant encounter is the most pointless boss in the whole series.

>boss battle
>pointless

retard confirm

>> No.2226764

>>2226759
It's about the boss fight itself. There is no resistance. A normal zombie in a hallway is more dangerous than first encounter tyrant. It's really disappointing too because they build it up so much with the tyrant to that point. He isn't even dangerous in the second encounter. Dodging him is easy as fuck and you get the rocket launcher anyway.

>> No.2226765

This just in, sequels share good things from the previous entry.

News at 11:00.

By the way, stop using a plot/story element as an argument as similarity. George Trevor designed both the mansion and the RPD.

>> No.2226770

>>2226765
What a laughable weak argument. I want you to be embarrassed about those words.

>> No.2226776

>>2226770
More like all of you should be embarrassed for parroting this stupid "copy of RE1" bullshit recently. Do you really believe this? You're putting it on the same level as SMB=SMB2 JP. The only thing pitiful here is the weak argument presented in this thread. You're using thematic items and standards that appear in every entry of the series.

>> No.2226778

>>2226776
let it go, man, it ain't worth it

>> No.2226780

>>2226776
More like you RE2 fanboys get finally told. We hear forever now that RE2 is supposed to be the best classic Resident Evil and that RE3 is supposed to be the worst one. There is no wronger statement regarding Resident Evil. How disgraceful that the easiest game in the series which also sold best is automatically called the best.

>> No.2226786

I like all 3 for different reasons

but 3 is my favorite, to me it feels like Jill's own action-movie, it's really intense and the gameplay doesn't get in the way of the action, good stuff

>> No.2226787

>>2226780
That has nothing to do with the argument in this thread. I love every classic RE game.

>> No.2226821

>>2226787
How exactly is the argument wrong?
Again, your argument is poor. The sequel RE2 not only shares those things but is a direct copy of every segment RE1 offers. If they at least continued with the huge amount of zombies, because I really liked that about the first city segment and the RPD. They throw so many zombies at you, which made sense because you were in a city. It was really fun too that way and made RE2 an unique experience. Everything after the RPD was a disappointment for me because it was some kind of science fiction thing after that with giant railroad systems and area 51 labs.

>> No.2226825

>>2226821
So RE2 wasn't the way you wanted it to be, poor baby.

>> No.2226830

>>2226825
And that's how you talk with your mother after she shows her concern with you being a neckbeard.

But what has that do with me expecting a fresh game and not just a clone of the first one?

>> No.2226832

>>2226776
>You're using thematic items and standards that appear in every entry of the series.

It's not just the mansion theme, it's the fact that everything about it shares exactly the same pattern as in RE1. For instance you LITERALY get the same number of keys before going out then come back in the mansion with the last key where you finds hunters/lickers instead of zombies, where you get to open the same number of doors with optional ones for strong ammo/weapons. And that's just an example.

RE0 shares the "mansion" theme as well, but the execution is very different.

Also saying that this theme is present in every RE game is wrong. 3 and CV don't really have that except for a small part (mansion/clock tower).

Also, the fact that "Trevor designed both the mansion and the RPD" isn't really an argument of favour of the whole thing. On the contrary even, it feels like a poor excuse the devs found to justify how much they copied RE1 and to justify the schyzophrenia of the setting.

>> No.2227852

>>2218857
Resident Evil 3. The gameplay felt polished (180 turn was a godsend), the atmosphere was just as good as in the previous games, the challenge was a step up above Resi 2, and I thought the live selection thing was a pretty cool addition. I wish those caught on in games rather than QTEs.

>> No.2227893

>>2218238
My brother still plays this series to this day, only the PS1 games, only original versions.

One day I will make him do a speedrun so I can record it and upload it. Near as I can tell he has gotten the best times from anything I can find online on most of the games and their scenarios. If not he has gotten very close.

Damned if I know how.

I do know that he thinks killing anything is a complete waste of time unless you're forced to obviously. Wish I could tell you how he does it but I haven't seen him play in ten years (although he still does, that I know).

>>2218390
>No faid spray

Even I used to do that. There's more than enough green and red herbs around to not worry about that.

>> No.2227940
File: 216 KB, 1024x692, Resident Evil 1.5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2219156
RE1 had the best atmosphere, hands down. I do think you're right in that it had an identity crisis. It's a shame, too, I remember reading GamePro and longing for RE1.5 with Elza Walker and a Leon that didn't look like a super cop. The screens made it actually look like a police station, and a more faithful successor to the first than what it turned out to be.

Not that it turned out to be bad, just very different atmospherically. If RE1 is Night of the Living Dead then RE2 is Dead Alive.

>>2227893
Oh, and I just texted my brother and I am sure I'll be called a liar but he says doing a speedrun of 2:30 on Leon B is horrendous and claims his best is around half an hour. He reaffirmed the "don't kill shit" unless you literally can't progress. But everything is just about maneuvering and what you do have to kill you'll have more than enough firepower to do so by the time you get to it. Also said the puzzles in both B games are much shorter which helps lessen the time.

I have a screencap program and RE2 isos for Retroarch/Mednafen; I am going to make him play it so I can record it next time I see him.

>> No.2227957

>>2227940
Yeah I wish RE2's setting would be more grounded in reality. They were also planning a bunch of cool features for it that just never happened in the final product.

>> No.2227985

What the hell? Could have swore my thread died. I saw it right at the bottom and all of a sudden it's got a dozen or more posts now.

>> No.2228007

I've only recently gotten into the series and so far my impressions from the community have been.

>RE 1 good
>RE 2 great
>RE 3 Meh
>CV Mixed
>Zero Bad
>REmake God Tier
>RE 4+ not RE

Having only beaten the first one so far, playing RE 2 I kinda prefer the first one. Everything seems to fit together better and the atmosphere they built up is great. RE 2 seems to just be RE 1 with a million zombies with a million bullets.

Being pretty bad at the game I'm finding in RE 2 I'm having the complete opposite inventory troubles that I had in RE 1. In RE 1 I was always out of ammo, but had a shit load of healing items, in RE 2 I always have ammo but never have healing items.

>> No.2228023

Actually the best Resident Evil game is the Raccoon city use map settings game for SC:BW

>> No.2228093

>>2226764
Fine faggot. How about we litter the mansion with Tyrants only? How's that for threatening for you?

They need to make the boss fight beatable. RE wasn't about crazy dodging (at least at first) with twitch reflexes.

>> No.2228121

>>2227957
>They were also planning a bunch of cool features for it that just never happened in the final product.

Such as? How would the puzzles have been? It's hard to imagine them making an RE at that time that wasn't at least close to how RE1 was. People liked RE1 a lot so it's only natural RE2 followed some of what made RE1 great.

>> No.2228151

>>2221146
>>2221184
For beginners, it's just dangerous to use in general. So you honestly shouldn't even bother with it if you're totally out of ammo. Running is just a better option 100% of the time.

For non-beginners, it's fucking useless, and there's ALWAYS actual ammo to use.

It's OK to use in knife-only runs, but that usually comes when a person has played the game for fucking YEARS, has totally mastered it and is just bored of speed runs.

So yes, the knife in RE2 is fucking USELESS.

>> No.2228152
File: 219 KB, 500x658, 1336136626122.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RE3 was just my childhood nightmare game. Nemesis scared the shit out of me. I love the game more for its wealth of options and variation as an adult now.

...Especially the gunpowder system, which had a lot of nonobvious shit behind it like a hidden leveling system of increasing returns. Gunpowder mixing was almost like a customized item drops system - if you want to do a run that has truckloads of handgun ammo and scarce everything else (ie kill everything and have longer boss fights), or a run where most grenade rounds were fairly common and other ammo was not (ie conserve a bit and demolish tougher enemies), it accommodated either. Also, gunpowder placements were semi-randomized and changed based on what order you do things in the story, allowing further customization in the case of controllable ones and mixing things up a little with those that weren't.

And even AFTER you decided what types of ammo out you wanted of your gunpowder, you still had options to weigh in terms of how much to weight your ammo drops towards the early parts of the game and the later parts. This is because if you combine 3 "gunpowder B" you'll get more than they're worth individually, but if you put them in individually you accelerate the leveling of that ammo type, enabling you to cash in on it later with significantly larger returns when you finally start putting full BBB combinations into it. AND after a certain number of combines, you get the option of making Enhanced handgun ammo or Enhanced shotgun ammo, which were incompatible with the Eagle 6.0 handgun and Western Custom shotgun and therefore made the original handgun or shotgun into viable alternatives to keep using.

Options, man.

>> No.2228154

>>2219748
IF you played RE1 first, RE2 is easier, because they are very similar. If you do it the other way around, it seems like RE1 is easier.

But after having played both for almost 2 decades and having beaten them both over 50 times, I can honestly say that they're pretty equal in difficulty. If anything, RE1 is in fact easier than RE2. Unless you play as Chris a lot or something.

And as for RE2 being a rip off. Well that's both true and untrue. It certainly runs off the same formula and has similar layout and such. But it is in fact a different game. It's a sequel. So it does a lot of what the first one did and it does a lot of it's own stuff too.

At the end of the day, rip off or no, RE2 still has more replay value, better bossed, better weapons, tighter controls and is just a better game in general. But that;s because it's more or less an UPGRADE of the same engine used on RE1.

>> No.2228164

>>2228152
I played a fuck-ton of RE3 last summer. I was surprised to discover how well balanced the game is.

You can literally make any kind of ammo you want, and not fuck yourself totally. And you can even skip making ammo entirely, and still be able to win (not by much though). It's never really "easy" either, witch impressed the hell out of me.

I mean, yes, every classic RE is "easy". I get it, they're old, they're not hallways shooters, there's no challenge or skill needed at all. Blah, blah, blah.

But RE3 somehow still manages to give you that "Oh man, I'm screwed" feeling, without actually screwing you and without becoming blatantly easier.

It's because more powerful ammo takes up more gunpowder. So if you make nothing but magnum rounds, you'll have less ammo than if you make just basic handgun and shotgun shells (as one example). So even if you focus entirely on the strongest ammo types in the game, you are not an automatic untouchable badass. You're still going to have to fight to win.

Great game.

RE2 is still better, but still...

>> No.2228179

>>2228121
There were rumored early builds of RE2 that had more or less an armor system. Basically, you'd put clothes on your character that would take damage as you progressed, and protect you less and less from damage.
This was impossible on the hardware, and impractical as a design element, so they forgot about it and moved on before RE1.5 was even partially done. LONG before the finished product came out.

There was also a "zapping" feature similar to the one on RE0. As in, select a menu option to switch from Leon to Claire on the fly to beat the game with both of them at the same time.
Once again, not practical on the hardware at all (the N64 even had some trouble with this), so they dropped it and moved on.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

The funny thing about RE1.5 is that it was a bad game. Period. Capcom let Mikami do whatever he wanted and he ran amok and made his dream game. Problematically, said dream game only appealed to HIM.

Some higher up at Capcom played a build of RE1.5, thought "I don't know about this...", had some other people look at it, they all agreed that it sucked ass and the rest is history.
Kamiya was brought on, restarted the whole thing, rather than fix it and we ended up with a slightly rushed, but honestly better version of the same EXACT game.

And that's the saddest thing about all of it. The layouts and visual style changed a bit, as did the characters and plot, but RE2 is still 75% the same game that RE1.5 was to begin with. It's just the polished, fun and coherent version.

And people claiming "muh realism!" fail to acknowledge the woman running around town in a fuckin race car driver's one piece jumpsuit in RE1.5...

Not to mention all the fucking mutants and zombies.

Realism my big fat white ass.

>> No.2228181

>>2226821
>Being this mad.

Are you literally autistic, or just like... 5 years old?

RE2 is a better version of RE1. It shares some elements, but every Capcom sequel shares elements with earlier entries. And I bet you never hated on Megaman 6 for being literally the EXACT same game as Megaman 2...

No one gives a fuck what you think. Go fuck yourself you sad little bitch.

>> No.2228182

>>2226830
Um...

RE2 was similar, sure, but it had tone of original stuff in it. It had different weapons, enemies, puzzles, items, the fucking scenario system...

It was the perfect sequel. It repeated what made the first one so fucking good, improved upon it's mistakes and wasn't topped until 5-6 years later when hardware was a LOT better and could actually make improvements on it.

Deal with it kiddo.

>> No.2228191

>>2228007
The thing is that with fewer enemies in RE1, you need less ammo. Not to mention that there's a metric fuck-ton of ammo hidden in RE1. It's just better hidden than the ammo in RE2. Also the fact that the US version of RE1 was made harder by having literally half of the ammo removed from it, while RE2 remained almost exactly like it's JP counterpart. So if you play the JP versions, RE1 is the single easiest entry in the series.
Hell, every boss in the entire game can be beaten with 3 or less magnum rounds for fuck sakes. At least RE2 makes you work for it a little bit.

Also:

>RE1 - nostalgia teir. No RE fan (older than 20) will ever admit it's a piss easy game and will make up total bullshit to defend it
>REDC - good
>RE2 - great
>RE3 - solid gameplay with less great everything else. rather polarizing though. literally love or hate.
>RECV/X - it really is a mixed bag, it's also pretty much love or hate. No middle ground at all
>REmake - literal second coming of jesus
>RE0 - meh
>RE4 - literal third coming of jesus (I don't agree, but that's what the community thinks)
>RE5 - absolute shit
>REvelations - RE4: part doux (totally false, as the pace and gameplay are fairly different, but whatever...)
>RE6 - "lolololololol!!!!!! That jeraffe is getting his dick sucked!" (because no one wants to talk about what's actually good or bad about the game. And yes, it has both good and bad elements)

Also, old fans think: "RE4 and on are NOT RE! NEVAR!!!"
New fans think: "Old RE is clunky, boring and literally UNPLAYABLE! RE4 is the best game EVER MADE BECAUSE I FUCKING SAID SO!!!!"

So yeah. There's no pleasing any of them.

I happen to like them all (even the bad ones), but I'm not that picky.

>> No.2228204

>>2228181
>And I bet you never hated on Megaman 6 for being literally the EXACT same game as Megaman 2..

Except Megaman 6 is not exactly like Megaman 2. It's a sequel on the same formula, with TONS of new gameplay moves and gameplay gimmicks. MM6 to MM2 would be RE3 to RE1/2.

You must have no been listening to what we said. The problem is that RE2 shares exactly the same type of setting, progression, puzzles, everything; except executed in a worse way with no alternative things going on depending on what you do, worse survival gameplay, and a setting that does not know what it should be or not.

As a comparison point it would be as if MM6 kept its "technicaly superior graphics" but had exactly the same kind of stages as MM2, that you progress through in a similar fashion, except not as good and with less challenge. And then everyone would praise it as the best.

>> No.2228205

>>2228181
This

>> No.2228257

>>2228191
RE 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it before I even touched another Resident Evil game and I can admit, its not a terribly good Resident Evil game.

Not good in the sense of the elements that one would come to expect from an RE game, like the puzzles, the atmosphere, the genuine scares, RE 4 was a different beast altogether.

Comparing earlier RE games to RE 4 and later are like comparing red apples to green apples. Yeah, they have the same name and texture but they're a different flavor altogether.

>> No.2228601

>>2228182
>the fucking scenario system
People still pretend like the scenario system was worth shit.

>> No.2228629

>>2228204
> no alternative things going on depending on what you do,

Bull shit. The wiring for the shutters, how you kill the alligator, what you take in the armory, whether you release the anti-B.O.W. gas, whether you do the hand scan, which character you select for the A scenario. Those are all examples of alternate things going on.

>worse survival gameplay,

what does that even mean?

>and a setting that does not know what it should be or not.

Bullshit. For all your harping about how you can't tell if you're in a mansion or a police station, all you're doing is complaining about the re-used gate system while ignoring everything that plainly demonstrates you are hiding in a building in an infested city. The opening where Claire and Leon are attacked by a street full of zombies, the run to the police station, the fact the police station is filled with citizen and cop zombies, the way the zombies keep spilling in through windows and doors, the fact there are other people outside of your team mates who are still alive, the way there are 2 helicopters in the game, how the rooms are filled with police imagery, these are all things that are quite clear as to what is going on in the setting and make perfect sense given the plot of the previous game. In RE, you have no explanation as to what is going on in the beginning. You're attacked by wild dogs, and then by a zombie, and what caused all this is discovered over the course of the game. RE2 Drops the investigation element and goes straight to finding someplace safe and then securing an escape.

>> No.2228665

>>2228629
>The wiring for the shutters, how you kill the alligator, what you take in the armory, whether you release the anti-B.O.W. gas, whether you do the hand scan,

All these are pretty minor compared to 1 and 3. In 1 and 3, player's action change cutscenes and where they happen, character life/deaths, endings, whether you fight the end boss or not, etc

All that went to hell with RE2, and instead they went with the scenario system. >>2228601 Instead of having 1 or two scenarios with tons of ways to go at it depending on the players action, you have 4 static scenarios that are 90-95% the same. It's artificial length, takes players for fools, and it's better for replay value to have 1 or 2 scenarios with tons of possibilites than 4 scenarios that are 95% the same. I have no idea how that was ever tolerated. They should have done only 2 scenarios, and the actions of the player could have decided whether or not the "extra" things from scenario B happen or not.

>what does that even mean?
I've explained that already. For instance the way you have to kill every single bosses, contrary to RE1 or 3 in which you have alternative ways to go against bosses in most cases (even the big spider can be dealt with without weapons in RE1). Not only it means the survival gameplay is more limited, but it also means the game will give you tons of ammo since you have to kill every single boss.
There is also how weak the puzzles are in RE2, there are very few real puzzles, the majority of things being "find item and use it here", and when it's a real puzzle, they are extremely simple and you could even solve them without thinking at all using simple trial&error (like the electricity puzzle in the basement, or the one where you have to lit the 3 candles in a certain order).

As for the setting, i've explained what I meant by that already ITT as well.

>> No.2229069

>>2218487
Doesnt using first aid sprays lower your rank by one level?

>> No.2229092
File: 872 KB, 982x658, 1267363028588.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2227852
>I wish those caught on in games rather than QTEs.
this x 1000

>> No.2229118

re2>re1>re3

>> No.2229407

Does RE6 have that awful forced co-op that ruined RE5?

>> No.2229410

>>2229407
The co-op is the least of its problems.

>> No.2229454

>>2229407
Yes, but it's a little less horrible. They also did a zombie city RIGHT two times in RE6. You can treat it as single player and enjoy it fully even though you have a sidekick.

And it's a complete storyline on its own, so you can actually ignore the 3 other entire storylines about having shitty shootouts with unscary mutants with guns. If there were just one other storyline like Leon's, about zombies and not evil mercenaries, it would be worth full retail price. So if it's on sale for half-off ever, that's worth it too.

>> No.2229476

>>2229454
Or just ignore the bullshit that is RE6:

>> No.2229561
File: 61 KB, 1028x770, 37467-Resident_Evil_2_[Dual_Shock]_[CD2]_[U]-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys, I need help.
I havent played Resies in more than 10 years and after trying to run RE1 for PC for several hours and failing, I gave up and decided to play RE2 and then 3.
Here's the problem: RE2 works but I have no video during cutscenes, only audio.
Can't find anything useful on the web.
Windows 7, 64bit, desktop composition is on.
PLEASE, I just want to enjoy some good games during my vacation.

>> No.2229569

>>2229561
Emulator.

>> No.2230350
File: 3 KB, 121x126, 1259801077680s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2229569

>> No.2230415

>>2229561
>>2229569
I changed compatibility to Win98 and now it's all good
Wish I could make RE1 work, though

>> No.2230434

>>2230415
You could download the new HD-Remaster or buy the original one from PSN if you can

>> No.2230451

>>2229569
nvm, fixed it :)

>> No.2230471

>>2230434
I will, one day, currently, unfortunately my Laptop isn't powerful enough

>> No.2230472

>>2230415
>>2230434
>>2230471
I also managed RE1 to work with a little help of european patch
Damn, does it look like shit hahahah
I played Director's cut back in the day on PS1

>> No.2230489

>>2227940
>and claims his best is around half an hour.

Bullshit can fairly easily be called when the speedrun record is somewhere north of 50 minutes but south of an hour.

and yes speedrunning resident evil is about killing as little as humanly possibly and just bulldogging the entire game.

Remember that it is actually often faster to just eat damage and move on than to try and clear shit out.

>> No.2230509

>>2230489
if the world record speedrun is 50mins, "around" half an hour (like 40mins) is possible.... On the PC versions, since you can skip doors. It's even more plausible if played the Jap PC version (it's easier therefore you lose less time against bosses and such). The PC version also has no split seconds loading times between camera angles, which at the end can save a minute or two.
Remember that RE speedruns are done using the PS1 versions, which is very stupid because they are NOT the fastest versions. But that's typical bullshit speedrunning community elitism.

>>2230489
>Remember that it is actually often faster to just eat damage and move on than to try and clear shit out.

Depends. If the rocket launcher is allowed for the speedrun, it's faster to shoot a rocket than to get hit; because if you get hit several times, you're going to need to pick up and use herbs/sprays, which is a bigger waste of time.

>> No.2230726

I've played RE1 Directors cut more than 10 years ago...I've tried RE1 Chris scenario for PC today, and quit after 2 hours. Call me casual all you want but it's just frustrating; if head stabbing with a knife would be possible for greater damage, I'd manage it, but this is just stupidly unforgiving, not to mention damage zone detection for knife is just plain bad; you miss by a few pixels, although it looks like he's close enough and then the zombie is upon you, you don't have enough time to step back. Fuck that.
RE2 here I come.

>> No.2230741

>>2230726
The knife isn't really supposed to be an option, it's not RE4. Knife is only good against zombies which are lying on the ground to save a couple of ammo.
If you're out of ammo, dodge and run, don't use the knife.

>> No.2230802

>>2230741
Hmm...m-key, I'm gonna give it another try.
I really don't remember RE1 (directors cut) to be this hard, that's what threw me off

>> No.2231415

Anyone really like the OST for the original RE? It sounds so weird compared to the later titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_fEXITVXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJoJAwiz9oU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4BgVKlAX6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1O5e0mvWkM

>> No.2231709

>>2231415
I love it. It's appropriately B movie like.

I could totally see a really trashy live action, low budget RE1 movie using this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY9Ea5X4gD4

>> No.2231912

>>2230802
Yeah When I played RE1 again a couple years back it had been a long time before that year that I had played it. It takes getting used to but the game becomes an absolute cake walk once you beat it. When you use the knife you want to aim at their legs. It gives you the best range and is a lot safer. The knife is actually pretty strong. Not to sound like an ass but these games are called survival horror for a reason.

It's a lot like the Souls games actually. You beat it and from then on it becomes easy mode.

>> No.2232980

I have been replaying RE3 and I am wondering how the hell are you supposed to do the last minute dodge/push with the knife consistantly? I am completely unable to perform this move under my own power and despite trying to follow the exact commands it will never trigger when I am specifically attempting to do it but usually only when I am panic shooting.

>> No.2233207

>>2232980
It takes getting used to the timing, if you keep playing the game, you'll be able to perform it.

You have to "aim" right as the enemy is attacking you. Which means that the timing is different depending on enemy and attack; but also depending on the weapon you're using. For instance, it is longer to get from 'normal' position to 'aiming' position using the shotgun than using the knife, so it will be easier to perform a dodge with the shotgun than with the knife.

>> No.2233259

I plan on starting RE3 next week and was wondering how much ammo I should ideally have for the first Nemesis fight.

>> No.2233289

>>2233259
The first Nemesis fight (outside in the entrance of the RPD) is the hardest fight in the entire game, the reason to this being that you have few herbs and the only weapons you have are the basic pistol and the shotgun, with little shotgun ammo.

The 2nd fight (inside the RPD) is the 2nd hardest, but at least you have more herbs, more ammo, and either the grenade launcher or the magnum. For the 2nd fight I find it easier to bring Nemesis inside the policeman room, that one big room with a big rectanble table in the middle (where that black cop turns into a zombie in RE2).

As for the first fight, you have enough powder to make either some shotgun or some handgun ammo. One would be tempted to make shotgun ammo against Nemesis, but I find it easier to use the handgun. Indeed, the shotgun has a HUGE down time after you fire, meaning that you have more likely to get hit by Nemesis. Using the handgun, it will be easier to shoot a few times, run away, and repeat; because there is few downtime after a shot.

You should save all the herbs and powder until you perform a save just before the first fight (in that save room near the alley on fire, just after dogs jump above the fire), then try either with making handgun or shotgun ammo and see what you think fits best.

>> No.2233293

>>2233259
I only recently started it too and used the whole grenade launcher (6 grenades), 13 shotgun shells and a few bullets on hardcore. Aimed with the shotgun up, but I don't know if it did more or less damage. Ah, it was the second encounter after you had they choice to run the first time without any penalty. Can't really say it was worth it for the eagle parts.

>> No.2233298

>>2233289
>>2233293
Thanks for the advice.

>> No.2233302
File: 394 KB, 1280x1024, RE3miniherbs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2233293
>Aimed with the shotgun up, but I don't know if it did more or less damage.

nah it doesn't.

The easiest way to kill Nemesis is using freeze grenade, which you make by either mixing CC with the mixing tool or by C, CC, or CCC with regular grenades.
Using freeze, from the right distance, you can easily spam and kill Nemesis without having to even move.

>> No.2233303

Does Nemesis appear less if you kill him over and over or what? Or are the fights solely for the bonus items?

>> No.2233312
File: 99 KB, 1409x995, RE3supershottyammo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2233303
For each Nemesis encounter, Nemesis can follow you for a few rooms. The rooms he can follow you in are pre-set each time, which means for each time you meet him, he can follow you for these same few rooms every time.
Obviously if you "kill" him (remember this means putting him down twice each time), he'll stop following you for these few rooms, but he'll always re-appear at the same time in the same places for the next encounters.
There is however a couple of encounters which placement may differ, depending on your action (depending on where you go first), for instance he might appear at the power station or not, but if he doesn't he'll appear someplace else and vice-versa; though iirc this only happens there.

>> No.2233443

>>2233302
Can you pick those herbs?

Also keep posting these PROTIPS

>> No.2233446

>>2233302
I wish those herbs would exist in exactly that size for the desk or something.

>> No.2233449
File: 70 KB, 640x480, RE2ammoglitch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2233443
>>2233446
It's a glitch, they appear there only when they're actually below the player, in the small alley near the building (that one alley you can only access if you Meet Nemesis with Carlos there and if you decide to jump out the window).

I spotted the same glitch in RE2, that ammo is in the basement that you access with the ladder.
Not sure if this glitch is only on the PC versions of the game.

>> No.2233450

>>2233449
and no, you can't pick them up

>> No.2233454

The fuck are they putting so many blue herbs in every game for? You never need them.

>> No.2233456

>>2233454
I did once man, don't hate.

>> No.2233457

>>2233456
Once at that segment where the unlimited stock of blue herbs is.

>> No.2233465

>>2233454
What sucks even more is how useless the "poison" status is. Would you ever get poisoned, you ALWAYS find a blue herb literaly in the next room or the one after.

BTW did you know that you can't cure Yawn (snake boss) poison with blue herbs? Once I got poisoned during the bossfight, and I thought "fuck it not getting the serum, takes too much time, i'll heal at the next blue herb".
When I arrived at the guard house I realized I got fucked and had to backtrack for the serum.

>> No.2233468

>>2233465
I believed the opposite and never tried before. Can you avoid getting poisoned at all?

>> No.2233474

>>2233468

Yeah if Yawn doesnt bite you

>> No.2233491

What I always wanted to know, do enemies regain health if you switch rooms without killing them?

>> No.2233553

I tend to get the poison status in REmake every time I pass by those damn snakes. It's very easy to avoid poison status in RE1. The walking plants in RE2 are a bit tougher.

They should have added poison zombies.

>> No.2233596

>>2233259

for an exact number you should have roughly 55 - 70 handgun bullets on hard mode if you want to actually fight in front of the RPD. Weapons do slightly random damage so the number varies. I don't recommend using the shotgun at all for this fight unless nemesis is getting back up as the timing is just too slow to get off a shot and be able to get away while the handgun will let you shoot 1 - 3 times at nemesis before you can dodge.

>> No.2233612

>>2233491

Yes they do. Unless the zombie has been shot to the point where it is crawling on the ground. If you kill the giant spiders their little kids they drop will not be there if you leave and comeback.

>> No.2233640

>>2233553
>I tend to get the poison status in REmake every time I pass by those damn snakes.

One of the snakes in particular is a bitch and is programmed to make sure it bites the players (near the 90° angle turn after you get up the ladder, in the room where the water goes down) There is a way to avoid it though, by running and turning in a special way at a precise spot, but I can only pull it off one time out of two.

>>2233612
> If you kill the giant spiders their little kids they drop will not be there if you leave and comeback.

Yes but in RE1, if you kill a spider and leave the room right away, it will be back to full health if you come back to the room. You have to wait a couple of secs while it's agonizing for it to count as dead.

>> No.2233643

>>2233596
Thanks.

>> No.2233678

>>2233553
There are poison zombies in RE Gaiden. It actually worked as well as you'd think as far as incentivizing blue herbs.

>> No.2233870

Why are there so many dogs in RE1? There's like at least 30 of them throughout the game, do they have a kennel there to race them or something?

>> No.2233993

So if I incapacitate Nemesis in the restaurant with the explosion, go down into the basement and come back out and fight him with Carlos, I can't get another item off him, can I? I tried doing that, and while I got an item from incapacitating him the first time, I didn't the second (although he sort of fell into the wall, so I might just not be able to grab whatever he dropped). It's still worthwhile to kill him again to prevent him from chasing you around though, right?

>> No.2233998

>>2233993
It's easy to kill him in the restaurant for the second time with Carlos, you just need to keep dodging it's attacks while Carlos blasts away with the machine gun

>> No.2234001

>>2233870
angry guard dogs keep curious people out

>> No.2234015

>>2233993
No, you won't get another item, it counts as the same encounter. It's just that, doing the right choice will give you the item and put him down once.

At this point Nemesis will follow you : in the tight back alley/streets (the one which leads to the save room in the middle); then into the next street with the gate that requires 2 gems and the firetruck; and he'll also appear at the top of the press office, right as you try going out of the room. All of these are easily avoidable just by running, though in order to avoid him at the top of the press office you have to be fast and run along the right wall.

I wouldn't say it's worth killing him since you already got the item drop.

>> No.2234032
File: 28 KB, 442x341, 1407231685673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2230509
>Remember that RE speedruns are done using the PS1 versions, which is very stupid because they are NOT the fastest versions. But that's typical bullshit speedrunning community elitism.

No, they're not. The fastest time for LeonB is 53 minutes and 53 seconds on the Japanese PC version of the game. This is readily available and easy information to find if you actually do your fucking research instead of being a stupid.

bullshit thus called, half an hour isn't actually possible.

>> No.2234114

>>2233993

If you are going for all the nemesis items you may need to fight whenever possible, I have not gotten the infinite ammo reward for a file that; did not fight him in the kitchen after blowing him up, did not fight him in the cable car, did not fight him in the clock tower after using the cord and did not fight him as carlos. Not doing one or more of these will cause you to not get the infinite ammo belt and I am not entirely sure which one it is.

>> No.2234573

>>2233640
>One of the snakes in particular is a bitch and is programmed to make sure it bites the players (near the 90° angle turn after you get up the ladder, in the room where the water goes down)

Yes it's that asshole snake at that turn. It seems so hard to avoid it. May have only did so once.

>> No.2234920

>>2234032
He stands corrected though, most speedruns I've seen are on the ps1.

>> No.2234952

>>2234114
>Not doing one or more of these will cause you to not get the infinite ammo belt and I am not entirely sure which one it is.

That's not true. Fights that don't count for item drops :
- kitchen fight IF you explode him. If you use the explosion and have the item drop anyway, whether you kill it or not doesn't matter on the drops since you already got the drop for this encounter.
- clock tower if you use the electricity cable (same reason as above)
-cable car fight (because the cutscene starts before you could finish him)
-When playing as Carlos, because you're not as Jill so there is no drop.

If you killed every encounter you should be always getting the infinite during the fight right after you return with Jill from playing as Carlos.
You must have missed an encounter somewhere. Personally I used to miss an encounter in the police station, because there is 2 (one in the entrance when he kills Brad and the 2nd one when he jumps through the window and can follow you only into the big policeman room with the dead black cop guy from RE2).
Both of these encounters are very short, they last respectively 1 screen or 2.

>>2234032
Well sorry, but last time I checked on some "influent" speedrun site, they only accepted speedruns using the original, first released, versions of games.

>> No.2234959

>>2234952
I forgot to mention, during your first playthrough the last (7th) drop you'll get isn't the infinite ammo, it's Carlos's machine gun.
You'll get the infinite ammo case on your 2nd playthrough and on.

Also come to think of it, I think it's not possible to get the infinite ammo case in the PC versions of the game through Nemesis drops; only using the Mercenaries mini game.

>> No.2235041

>>2234952
Thanks for the list. That'll come in handy.

>> No.2235059

I killed Nemesis every time I met it, including twice in the restaurant, cable car and twice in the tower. I didn't kill him with Carlos because I thought you can't as it just ran away from me like a little bitch

I was playing the PSN version of it and I didn't get an infinite ammo belt or whatever it's supposed to drop, only got the machine gun

>> No.2235060

>>2234959

You don't get it on the first playthough? That is probley it actually, I know I killed him in the police station twice since the second time I lured him right to marvins office for an easy kill.

>> No.2236068

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW60mM3zF-M
This is awesome.

>> No.2236079

What was even the point of the rocket launcher in 3 if the last boss is invincible to all your weapons?

>> No.2236103

>>2236079
To trick you, probably.

>> No.2236107

Magnum > Shotgun > Handgun > Grenade Launcher

>> No.2236116

>>2236068
Someone should mod the original Japanese intro and ending into HD Remaster

>> No.2236119

>>2236116
That doesn't seem out of the question. I looked into the game files myself, and the videos are just sitting there, in WMV format. Though that raises the question, there are 3 WMV files for each FMV in the game, at different resolutions. How could we possibly deal with that? There's also a problem where the audio is in a seperate folder AND it's compressed in some weird format.

>> No.2236278

>>2222295
>tfw no Mercenaries since has brought back any of the original 3

>> No.2236310

>>2227940
>Uniformed Leon is Dante
>street-clothed Leon is Donte

pottery, it rhymes

>> No.2236328

>>2229069
No. Plus, as I stated, F. aid sprays take up less space and time than mixing a fuck ton of herbs. Also, I'm assuming that a speed runner wants speed above all. So getting the best rank shouldn't matter anyway.

>> No.2236337

>>2230726
Don't use the fucking knife! Jesus Christ you noobs are fucking stupid.

The knife is more or less there to make you feel safe if you run out of ammo. It will fuck you over. Totally.

Knife-only runs are possible, but they are most times completed by people who have been playing the game for the last 15 or more years and fucking know their shit.

Noobs should seriously just worry about beating the fucking game any way they can. period.

>> No.2236341

>>2236079
The last boss is invicible, but if you harm him enough, he'll leave you alone and remain at that one spot in the room where the RE1 tyrant is, which is right in front of the laser.

however the main point of the rocket launcher was if you meet Nicholai trying to escape with the helicopter, and if you decide to fight him back. You can destroy the helicopter with the RL.

>> No.2236354

>>2218238
how about you just don't do it because speed running games that aren't platformers is stupid.

>> No.2236393
File: 35 KB, 500x750, 1415164158747.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How different is playing through RE1 as Chris and Jill?
Its my first time playing through and I'm drawing out maps and labeling where all the items are on it and I wanna know if I can rely on the map I made for both runs

>> No.2236398

>>2236393
>skinny RE5 Chris

Not sure if better

>> No.2236403

>>2228665

In RE1, you can take different PLOT paths, but the ultimate end result is 4 different variations of the exact same ending anyway. And the actual playable segments of the game stay exactly the same, except the ability to bypass the final boss (if you're bad at the game)

RE3 literally stops you in your tracks to ask you questions that BARELY effect the game's progression. The randomized elements effect the game more than anything else. Other than maybe the ammo making system. I will give you that visiting one area before another at like 3 different points in the game and like 2 of the QTEs do in fact effect the plot. But the playable segments of the game remain the same. And there's only 2 endings anyway, witch RE2 matches.

RE2 has 2 characters with 2 totally different sets of weapons and the two scenarios are more than just slightly different plots. They have new areas, puzzles, enemy locations, item locations (admittedly, no more than 15% different, but it's still more than RE1 managed) and totally separate boss battles.
Not to mention the several gameplay elements that can pass from scenario A to B.
>the shutters
>the weapon store room
>weather or not you kill the alligator
>the BOW gas
>the "secret" room in the lab
Al of these elements effect what you can do in scenario B and RE1 doesn't even have that.

Also, the point of taking on Scenarios A and B as one character or the other is that you have to take on the same situations differently based on who you play as. So the percentage of difference between Leon A and Claire B is in the neighborhood of 40% different. A Metric fuck-ton more difference than Jill and Chris' games in RE1. Witch are 99% the same.

RE2 is a LARGE improvement on RE1 any way you look at it, and RE3 dropped the ball to an extent. RE2 is the best of the classic entries (other than REmake, but that's not /vr/ so whatever) and all of your arguments are based on bullshit.

Get the fuck over yourself and fuck off.

>> No.2236409

>>2236354
How about you go fuck yourself faggot?

Speed running games where... OH MY FUCKING GAWD! Taking different routes gets your time down is actually challenging and fun.

Speed running Super Mario Bros 3 (for example) is based almost entirely on cheating. Unless you're autistic and complete every level, but fly over them.

>> No.2236414

>>2236393
Their games are roughly 95% the same. So yes. You can re-use the same map.

>> No.2236797

>>2236337
Trying to force conserving ammunition is the biggest beginner mistake. In 2 and 3 you should end up with a weapon arsenal with huge pools of ammunition if you always play it safe and run in low risk situations. In 1 it's more balanced but handgun ammunition can be wasted.

>> No.2236812

>>2236403
>RE3 dropped the ball to an extent
Fuck off.
RE3 is the best classic RE. I played them all in order and for the first time only recently. RE3 has more content than RE2 with all its scenarios in a single playtrough. It has the best gameplay, the best pacing, best replayability and is way more refreshing and tone changing although it keeps the exact same RE formula intact.

>> No.2236943

>>2236403
You claim Chris and Jill's scenario in RE1 are 99% the same while at the same time claiming RE2's are 40% different; then claim "the playable segments of [RE3] remain the same", which isn't true in several places.

You finally conclude by saying your biased opinion is fact and anything else is shit, while throwing insults as a footnote.

Good job, there is definitely nothing I can respond to that. I mean, noone could when faced with someone who refuses to have a discussion and instead throws his view of things on the table while closing himself to anything that doesn't correspond to it.

>> No.2236950

>>2236393
Most item placement will be the same. However, Chris doesn't have the lockpick so instead he has one more key to use at the beginning of the mansion, which may force you to go through things in a different order at the start, as well as small keys to use to open drawers.
Also, some ammo will be different (you'll find shotgun ammo as Chris rather than grenades as Jill, for instance) but they will be at the same placement.
Chris will also find something jsut for him in the underground.

But everything else is the same.

>> No.2236968

Fuck off nesfag

>> No.2236996

Where is the love for Code Veronica?

>> No.2237026

>>2236996
I didn't really dig CV.

>> No.2238146

How many shoves does it take in RE3 for a zombie to fall? It seems random as fuck. For the most part I've gotten emergency dodging down to a science but this bothers the fuck out of me.

>> No.2238815

how can people put RE4 in the same list as the classics. After it became an action game the franchise was over

>> No.2238834

>>2238815
Resident Evil 4 still had the atmosphere, you also didn't feel like a unstoppable bad ass on your first play through. It didn't' feel like routine and daily grind shit RE5 and RE6 did.

>> No.2238841

>>2238834
but its over, no longer classic re, its an action game, the puzzle is virtually non existant. also, the story is really bad at this point, like, cartoonishly bad, at least the other games tried to make it look like a b-movie sci-fi plot, this one is just like if the devs were making a joke, and dont even get me started on the rpg elements, and how that guy who sold you stuff broke immersion...

also, the voice acting is SOMEHOW worse than ever

>> No.2238870

>>2238841
You're small time!

>> No.2238892
File: 50 KB, 500x625, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2238841
WHAT ARE YA BUYIN'

WHAT ARE YA SELLIN'

>> No.2239021

NEMESIS YOU DOUBLE NIGGER LET ME PISTOL YOU.

>> No.2239072
File: 7 KB, 140x157, nemesiscoolfacesmall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2239021
Run until you are at an average distance, shoot 2-3 times, repeat

Remember, he will always try to hit you with his right arm, so it's easier to dodge him by turning in the opposite direction (on the right IIRC)

Trying to remain at an average distance is the key. if you go too far away, that will make him run towards you which won't leave you time to shoot him. If you fail that and see him running, don't even try to shoot, run and dodge and go at an average distance.

The key is that after a failed hit attempt by him, that should calm him down and he'll stop running, and instead, walk.

Also if after 2 shots you're not sure whether you have time for a 3rd one, then don't do it, lay down the aim and prepare to run.

Also, when he's down for the first time, while he's going up you can easily have time to shoot with another weapon, a couple of shots, like the shotgun or something.

Also,when he's down for the first time, he'll get up after a while. Shooting him will make him get up immediately. However I think that this one shot, the one that wakes him up, doesn't count against his HP, it's just a "wake up" shot, so don't waste precious ammo for distance. However I'm not for 100% sure of this; it's just a feeling I keep having every time.

>> No.2239085

>>2239072
>The key is that after a failed hit attempt by him, that should calm him down and he'll stop running, and instead, walk.

Though sometimes, after a failed attempt, he'll try a 2nd time, but I seemed to have noticed that this usually happens after his small hit attempt, the "grab" one he does while walking.
In this case I find it harder to dodge him both hits.

But if it's after one of his "running punch", he'll usually walk afterwards. So, sometimes, if I see him walk towards me and see that he won't run, I will flee and run to trigger his "running punch", because I find those easier to dodge than the combo "walk grab" + "run punch" .

>> No.2239123
File: 614 KB, 1130x1600, RE2 Promo Poster 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>All those people saying RE3 is the best RE game
> RE3 was supposed to be a spin off

But yeah it's a hard choice betwen RE2 and RE3, kinda like Dino Crisis 1 and 2
But RE2 is far better, much longer, better soundtrack and everything else. Sure the gameplay in RE3 is great but that's it.
And Birkin was a more terrifying monster than Nemesis, deal with it

>> No.2239160

>>2239123
>RE3 was supposed to be a spin off

I love how this is always brought up, except What does have to do with
1) the quality of the game
2) the game we had

If we're going to go with "was supposed to be", we might as well :
- RE1 was supposed to be a FPS
- There was supposed to be a Cyborg among STARS members
- It was supposed to have 2 player co-op
- RE2 was supposed to be something else completely
- etc etc

oh and btw, it was never supposed to be a spin off. Mikami said it was supposed be an addon, called RE1.9.

>> No.2239174

>>2239123
>I will impose my opinion on you
>whatever it takes
>deal with it

>> No.2239745

>>2239160
it was a spin off, the only reason it got called RE3 was because they had a deal with Sony to make numbered RE games

>> No.2239753

“With the sudden promotion of the ‘Gaiden’ game, I was forced to expand the scale of the content. The story was initially supposed to just be an escape chronicle from an infected Raccoon City, but after discussions with the producer and director, it was decided that instead of introducing a new character, Jill Valentine will play the role of the main character,” Kawamura said.

Yasuhisa Kawamura, Scenario Writer for RE3.

>> No.2239774

Devil May Cry evolved out of what was supposed to be Resident Evil 4.

>> No.2239787

>>2239745
>thanks VGFacts.com, you're always right

>> No.2240323

>>2239774
RE6 evolved of what was supposed to be DMC5.

>> No.2241031

>>2238841
I didn't know your hand comes off!

>> No.2241062

>>2239753
so, your point?

Having a new character doesn't mean it's going to be a spin-off. RE2 had all new chars.

>>2239745
They had a deal with Sony, but I see nowhere proof that they had a deal for "numbered" RE games.

There is very little info about the development of RE3.
All we know is that "RE3" was first supposed to be released on PS2.

The "spin off" thing is just speculation.
The whole "CV was supposed to be the real RE3" theory is 100% bullshit.
CV was announced in september 1998, under the name CV. Source http://survivhor.biohazardfrance.net/RECV/GENESE/index.html . That's MONTHS before RE3 was first mentionned.

All this bullshit is pure haters crap who try to dismiss RE3 by using misinformation and false "facts" just because they don't like the game, and because they wish "facts" would go in the sense of their (shitty) taste.

The irony is that it doesn't even fucking matter. EVEN if it was a spin off, that wouldn't change the quality of the game. Dead Aim is a spin off and it's a better game than Code fucking Veronica.

>> No.2241137

I just won the first fight with the Nemesis. It was the hardest fight I've had in an RE game so far, and it felt so satisfying when I finally beat him.

>> No.2241398

>>2241137
> It was the hardest fight I've had in an RE game so far

Yeah, it probably is.

>> No.2241431

>>2241137
replace first fight with church yard fight and you're me

>> No.2241450
File: 461 KB, 1280x1024, RE3tyrant2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2241431
By Church I guess you mean Clock Tower? That one is easy, you have plenty of space, and more importantly you should have plenty of herbs and ammo, as well as effective weapons against him. Using the grenade launcher with freeze round, you can easily spam, and if you don't miss and spam as soon as the fight start, he'll go down for the first time just at the last second before he'd hit you.

The first fight in the RPD entrance is the hardest because of the lack of weapons and lack of healing items.

The Clock Tower fight is however hell during a knife only fight. It's the only time you HAVE to fight his real form and have to use the knife against (the 2 other mandatory fights are in the waste processing room, in which he's slow, weak, and you can use the acid dispenser; and then the final fight in which you can use the canon). Knife only the fight takes is a 20-25mins endurance run where every single step counts, even when playing Biohazard 3 easy difficulty which is the easiest way to play the game.

>> No.2241503

>>2236812

>make a vague statement
>F-fuck off!!?!?!?

Calm down there skippy. I said it dropped the ball to "an extent".

Imagine for a moment that we MIGHT just be talking about a series of games based on a clear-cut formula, where 5 out of the 6 classic entries literally ALL follow that formula, but one of them was pretty different. Potentially even a different genre, because it focuses almost entirely on action, action, guns, action, action and more action.

Now imagine the fans of the other 5 games are actually looking for something less linear, less action oriented, better atmosphere, more actual item management, more challenge, ect.

RE3 has none of those things, really. Sure, the first 2 Nemesis fights will rape you, but after that you can make nothing but magnum rounds and own everything.

RE3 is still a good game, but it's not such a great RE. It's like a proto-RE4 in that sense.

Now calm down and think before you run into a topic screaming next time.

>> No.2241510

>>2236943
>Discussion
>5 retards screaming that RE2 sucks at the top of their lungs
>one guy pointing out alternatives
>the one gets called out for being a dick

Yeah, OK...

My main points still stand, even though I got annoyed and went off the handle (you sensitive little bitch)

>RE1's campaigns are still more alike than RE2's, as there are NO alternate rooms, puzzles, bosses, no interacting segments, alternate weapons or anything.
>Chris literally has 2 fewer item slots and loe less weapon.

>RE3's playable segments are more or less exactly the same, EXCEPT FOR THE RANDOM ELEMENTS AND AMMO MAKING, because you visit the same areas in the same order, do the same things, solve the same puzzles, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect, ect.

>RE2 has more in terms of changes, because it HAS alternate weapons, rooms, enemies, bosses, interacting segments, ect.
>Get the fuck over it.

Learn to fucking read asswipe. Fuck...

>> No.2241562

>>2241503
>are actually looking for something less linear, less action oriented, better atmosphere, more actual item management, more challenge, ect
Which they won't find in RE2. RE2 is the easiest RE2, with the shittiest pacing, which also broke up the classic formula you love so much with the half-assed action part. The classic RE formula part is a direct copy from 1. It doesn't have anywhere the atmosphere from 1 or the tensity from 3. >>2241503
>Now calm down and think before you run into a topic screaming next time
Says the guy with the passive aggressive writing.. By the way, saying RE3 is a proto RE4 was the most retarded thing said in this thread.

>> No.2241563
File: 263 KB, 500x224, tumblr_lhxhwn0Idz1qehh3bo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Revelations 2 looks like it involves Claire & Co being abducted and locked up at a rebuilt Rockfort Island

>> No.2242839

>>2241503
>Potentially even a different genre, because it focuses almost entirely on action, action, guns, action, action and more action.

I'm sorry but you can't say that.
First of all, survival horror has always been about action, it's part of the definition of the genre. If you take out the action, it becomes adventure-horror.
As for RE3 itself, it's still survival horror, the difference is that the balance is at a higher lvl. There is more action, yes, but there is also more danger (TONS of enemies everywhere, Nemesis following you everywhere and can rape you easily, etc). There is more weapons and ammo, yes, but since there are TONS of enemies everywhere, the ratio it's still survival horror. I do NOT believe that the ammo to enemy ratio in RE3 gives any more ammo than in RE1 and 2.

And now though, the fact that RE3 is the RE formula except pushed to an over-the-top balance, is exactly what makes it so great. It makes it a lot more intense.

>are actually looking for something less linear
RE3 is the least linear of the classic RE. That doesn't make unlinear, at all, though. Non linearility has never been a main point of RE games and i doubt many RE fans look for that.

>less action oriented
Then they should play another series. Having a lot of action has always been a key point of the series. But thankfully for those people, Project Zero / Fatal Frame 1 will soon come out.

>better atmosphere, more actual item management, more challenge
I'd say RE3 has all that.

If you mean that your definition of a "great RE" is something " less linear, less action oriented, better atmosphere, more actual item management, more challenge", then in this case not a single RE game is a great RE, because non linearility has always been there, and being action-oriented has always been there.

>> No.2242841

I'm not sure if you guys have heard of this, it might interest you.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/survival-doom/downloads/survival-doom-tech-demo

>> No.2242845 [DELETED] 

And yeah, RE3 is nothing like a proto RE4. RE3 is RE1/2 with the balance of things pushed to an over-the-top level. That doesn't make it any less survival horror. There is lot's of action in RE3, but it's still the same survival action, just pushed to a balance where the is more enemies and more threatning ones.

RE4 on the contrary is non survival action. You're supposed to kill all the enemies to have fun. Ressource management can not be a problem as those enemies drop item and the drop system is programmed so that you can never run out, etc etc

For me the proto RE4, the RE that's "in between classic RE and RE4", is Dead Aim.

>> No.2242850

And yeah, RE3 is nothing like a proto RE4. RE3 is RE1/2 with the balance of things pushed to an over-the-top level. That doesn't make it any less survival horror. There is lot's of action in RE3, but it's still the same survival action, just pushed to a balance where the is more enemies and more threatning ones.

RE4 on the contrary is non survival action. You're supposed to kill all the enemies to have fun. Ressource management can not be a problem as those enemies drop item and the drop system is programmed so that you can never run out, etc etc

For me the proto RE4, the RE that's "in between classic RE and RE4", is Dead Aim.

>>2242839
> I do NOT believe that the ammo to enemy ratio in RE3 gives any more ammo than in RE1 and 2.

i'd also say that what makes it survival horror (and not just RE3, RE2 and 1 as well) isn't so much the ratio, it's how you get the ammo. What makes it survival is that you have to look for that ammo, the fact that enemies don't drop ammo. In RE3 the way you have to make ammo yourself adds another layer of ammo management and that adds to the survival gameplay elements.

This is nothing like a proto RE4, RE4 in which enemies drop ammo and the drop system is made so that the less of an ammo type you have in your inventory, the more likely an enemy is to drop it (so that you never run out).

>> No.2245713

>>2239174
>I have no arguments

Deal with it, fag

>> No.2245809
File: 3 KB, 81x81, ..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2245713
3 days and this is your comeback, wow

>> No.2246018

>>2245809
Sorry I have a life dude

>> No.2246025

>>2246018
pretty dull and dumb life judging from your self imposing comments and poor comebacks

thumbs ub

>> No.2246050

>>2246018
lol yeah right.

>> No.2246553

anybody actually succeed to unlock jill miniskirt outfit in re3?

>> No.2246565

>>2246553
Yea, nothing special or secret about it, why do you ask?

>> No.2246571

>>2246565
because i remember trying to get it completig the game multiple time the same day to perfect my runs but I always lose scores at the random clock puzzle and the fucking Dune Worms in the park(its really a small corridor you are sure to get it and must take a spray) any tips there if one day i found the courage to retry?

>> No.2246996 [SPOILER] 
File: 2 KB, 187x169, 1424505353541.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, so I've never touched the RE series. Never once considered it.

But while looking through some beta/protoype/WIP stuff on games I ran across Biohazard 1.5.
I already see someone mentioned it in the thread but I'm legitimately wondering if anyone has actually played it.

So for the sake of the following question I've uploaded the rom of the WIP build (as vanilla as i could get) to see what RE fans think.

my question to you all
>if the game had followed the path in this build, do you think it would have been as successful as the franchise is now?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v55tl8mn3ljsldq/BIO1.5-40.rar
heres the link to the build i uploaded. play it, tell me what you fags think and please inform me on why this is a big deal because im lost on why.
>my RE fan of a friend said sure to trying it
>popped that shit into my ps1
>handed them the controller
>they were going apeshit over what they were playing

>> No.2247054
File: 42 KB, 320x240, 872750_088.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2246025
I'm sorry to have offended you fucking neckbeard for saying RE2 is superior to RE3

>> No.2247307

How many freeze rounds do you like to keep handy? I'd like to avoid making too many and finding I don't have enough gunpowder to make ammo for my other weapons.

>> No.2247312

>>2247054
Easy there, you didn't offend me at all, your shitposting was so much I had to point it out for you.

Yuo'r wleocme

>> No.2247323

I really loved RE1 RE2 and CV, RE3 felt rushed just another scenario for RE2.
RE2 had the greatest soundtrack ever.
The rest are really good action games but not horror ones.

>> No.2247327

>>2218973
Holy shit. Wrong Opinions: The Post.

>> No.2247334

>>2247323
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myf3dkaE2As

>> No.2247337

>>2247327
re2 really is lenient with items tho

>> No.2247351
File: 67 KB, 480x480, 1422613880172.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2247312
But RE2 is still a superior game

>muh random events
>muh nemesis
>muh nicholai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0BzXKCAWwc

>> No.2247357

>>2247307
IIRC you need around 10-11 freeze rounds to kill one Nemesis encounter.

Honestly when I do all Nemesis-kill runs, I only make freeze rounds and the normal ammo pick ups are enough to deal with other enemies. Sometimes I mix powder with regular grenades which can save some powder, sometimes not.

BTW contrary to what most FAQs say, the number of ammo you get do increase after several mixes when you mix powder with regular grenades.

>> No.2247359

>>2247357
Thanks.

>> No.2247360

>>2247351
What happen to the 3 day wait, I got a life my ass, and btw, know youre slow but I dont give a shit about the argument re2 re3, thats the other guy, self centered retard

>> No.2247490
File: 41 KB, 657x532, 1422803051666.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2247360
lol you're mad, fuck you

Btw I've never said RE3 was a bad game, but RE2 is better

>> No.2248551

>>2246996
>Leon S. Kennedy - Leon's role in the game was that of a rookie police officer defending the R.P.D.. Whilst on the roof, the infected enter. At some point he was to escape into the sewers with Ada and Marvin.

>Elza Walker - Elza's role was as a college student returning to Raccoon City after a holiday. At some point, she joins up with Sherry and Robert where they plan their escape.

>John - One of Elza's supporting character, known as "John" in 1.5. He is a civilian who seeks refuge in the RPD. He later became Robert Kendo in the final version of BH2.

>Sherry Birkin - A supporting character for Elza, Sherry would be pursued by William throughout the game.

>Annette Birkin - The mother of Sherry and wife of William.

>Marvin Branagh - Leon's supporting character.

>Ada Wong - Another of Leon's supporting characters, her name was originally "Linda" early in development of 1.5, but was eventually changed to Ada. Linda may have just been a "working" name for development purposes.

>Brian Irons- Chief of the Raccoon City Police Department. Unlike in the final version, Irons was a supporting character who would aid in Leon's story. His office is a lot less morbid in 1.5.

>Roy - Another R.P.D. officer, role and scenario unknown. Judging from available footage, it seems he somehow had connections with John. Roy also had the name of DJ at one point in production.

>In the prototype, the zombies were significantly more gruesome, continuing to crawl towards the player with their body below the waist severed. In addition, the Zombies could climb on ledges, which isn't featured in the final version. The various types of zombies were far more varied, including fat zombies, and multiple female zombies.

>http://residentevil.wikia.com/Biohazard_1.5

again, everything about resident evil is fucked to no end if the original RE 2 was released.
I suggest you play the iso i uploaded because everything you know is wrong.

>> No.2248554

>>2247490
>Btw I've never said RE3 was a bad game, but RE2 is better

>implying

>lol you're mad, fuck you
>lol
>you mad
>,fuck you

holy shit!

>> No.2248556

>>2248554
not that anon, but you forget people will defend things blindly.
>now download and play this unfinished RE game i put effort into getting and uploading for you
>>2246996

>> No.2249186 [DELETED] 

>>2248551
>>2246996
I haven't played any of the beta builds of "RE1.5", I'm stupidly waiting until that one anonymous teams finishes making a fully playable version (which may never happen).

But by the looks of it, I really don't know if it would have been as successfull as the RE2 we got.
The atmosphere seems a lot darker and scarier, and the game a lot more original compared to RE1 than the final version of RE2.

However, technically speaking, the game looks only slightly better than RE1. The technological gap isn't as strong as with the RE2 we got, which is the reason why they remade the game fom scratch. And that alone would be very important to most people, I think the game wouldn't have such an impact if the technology was still almost the same as RE1's and not as impressive as the one in RE2.

The irony of course is that they stopped the project for being too close to RE1 (technically speaking), and ended up making a game that's too close to RE1 anyway, except this time in terms of location, progression, atmosphere, etc

>> No.2249192

>>2248551
>>2246996
I haven't played any of the beta builds of "RE1.5", I'm stupidly waiting until that one anonymous teams finishes making a fully playable version (which may never happen).

But by the looks of it, I really don't know if it would have been as successfull as the RE2 we got.
The atmosphere seems a lot darker and scarier, and the game a lot more original compared to RE1 than the final version of RE2.

However, technically speaking, the game looks only slightly better than RE1. The technological gap isn't as strong as with the RE2 we got, which is the reason why they remade the game fom scratch. And that alone would be very important to most people, I think the game wouldn't have such an impact if the technology was still almost the same as RE1's and not as impressive as the one in RE2.

The irony of course is that they stopped the project for being too close to RE1 (technically speaking), and ended up making a game that's too close to RE1 anyway, except this time in terms of location, progression, atmosphere, etc

But I guess it was a great choice from them. Most people don't even realize that RE2 is exactly like RE1 in terms of location, progression, mansion theme, etc
Yet everyone can instantly see when looking at RE1.5 that the technology is very close to RE1 (the 3D models, the backgrounds, the character movements, etc)
RE1.5 would have probably blamed for being too much like RE1 by most people and pro reviewers, while in fact it is less than the RE2 we got. The difference being that to notice how close RE2 is to RE1, you need to know and analyze the game well.

>> No.2249203

>>2236409
well post's attitude surely proves my idea that most speed runners are over grown children.

>> No.2249216

>>2246018
if you actually had a life you wouldn't have gone out and looked for the comment to your 3 day old argument.

>> No.2249349
File: 878 KB, 640x480, ePSXe 2015-02-22 04-02-31-33.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249192
In relation to your comment about a playable build... you are aware theyve been making patches for it yes? patches to fix the issues and add content, etc.

as for whether it would succeed... i see your point. it makes reasonable sense to a non RE player (i just do dev shit. i barely touched the series out of this one instance). do you think it would have had a good feeling to play should it have been released? sure its not RE2 feel but surely RE1 feeling but better would be damn fine right?
>we must also assume reviewers are not like reviewers today
>things were a lot more positive even if things were close

on another note, the iso in question i linked can play on ps1 hardware (assuming its chipped or you swap trick it because ya know burned disc still). you the onei liked may be absolute garbage in terms of "does it play acceptably?" but if i had to make a bold claim, its "more complete and functional than recent next gen AAA titles".
it also seems i fucked up and shared the unplayable version (because many patches have been made), so in my next post ill share the link to the playable build.

so id say burn that shit and try it. alternatively emulate it cuz its far easier to emulate it.
>and to make others download and try it heres a webm

>> No.2249351

>>2249349
How playable is it?

>> No.2249354
File: 1.02 MB, 640x480, ePSXe 2015-02-22 04-03-07-62.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249349
and in this second webm you see me fucking around like a retard because this is the first ive ever played a RE game.
fuck these controls, i didnt sign up for this.

heres the PROPER download to try. its from 2013, and it by no means the most recent but patching these is a pain and id really rather not
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2isael2osh1dda9/BH1.5.rar

>>2249351
you can find out by downloading this one. its able to be played. how far? hell if i know because i havent touched the series.
enemies work, players work, controls work, inventory works, a majority of things work, but theres obviously broken shit everywhere still

>> No.2249359
File: 814 KB, 966x748, ss (2015-02-22 at 04.01.52).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249351
im also curious what time it is for you. like its 4:20 am for me right now and i dont imagine youre from my time zone... what is your time?

>> No.2249361

>>2249359
Honestly I'll try to check out what's the progress on this RE1.5; but I'd wait for a "final" playable version since they're probably still working on it/

and it's 1pm

>> No.2249367

>>2249361
christ nigga.

and there probably wont be a "final" version. its all restoration work and not much else.
so youll probably never have a completed build... ever.
>this was based off the 40% build
>there was an 80% build a while back in '07
>we were collectively gonna pay 5,000 USD for it
>the deal fell through

>> No.2249369

>>2249367
How do you know? I heard the people working on this were pro devs and they were planning on doing a fully playable version.

i usually don't have too much hopes for this kind of fan projects but for once i'd rather wait and see.

>> No.2249374

>>2249369
theyve done fantastic work on it no doubt. but they can plan and perform as much as they desire, but theres things that they alone cant do
>Voice acting as my prime (and only) example for now. fully playable is a stretch... so if theyre dedicated maybe by 2016 we could have a full one (though probably not perfect).
and as for the project itself its really ambitious seeing as its based off a 40% WIP build... so theyd have to do A LOT of stuff. if the 80% didnt fail to be purchased id see it as a much higher probability but it wasnt im quite the pessimist at this hour. dont let me get to ya

ill probably start namefagging soon. Kinda need it at this point as ive been posting a lot on /vr/ recently i have been here close to 11 years and i havent been to /vr/ much til now... i like it.

im also the nigga that posted this shit, so i do have a rather knowledgeable stance on the subject... of sony related material...
>>2240341
>>2243703
>>2243785
>>2244063
>>2244094
>>2244435

only time will tell whether this gets finished or not.
also, how the fuck did you anons play RE with these controls? i understand the map and views but fuck these controls must have been crafted by satan himself

>> No.2249389

>>2249374
You'll get used to the controls.

>> No.2249397

>>2248554
So much arguments, you're so hardcore dude

>> No.2249403

>>2249389
im probably not going to take up playing the franchise. but my reason is due to overload on other shit right now.

>>2249397
i like how this nigga comes in to continue a multi-day argument that has devolved to shit from the first reply...

>> No.2249498

>>2249403
Well, I've come to talk about RE, instead I have to deal with retards

>> No.2249540
File: 59 KB, 400x304, loader_loaded.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249397
>>2249498
>So much arguments,
>so hardcore

>> No.2249706

>>2249540
lol epic maymay bro

>> No.2249712
File: 354 KB, 150x112, z45tbvz45.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249706

>> No.2249719

Just let the thread die. See ya in the next RE thread.

>> No.2249732
File: 309 KB, 1000x426, Gt_Gabi_duc_du_brocante_game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249712

>> No.2249737
File: 27 KB, 300x375, greg4342f.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2249732

>> No.2249761

>>2228191
Of the main RE games (the ones you listed) I would have to say I liked all the "old style" tank control, fixed cam ones EXCEPT Veronica.

Mostly because I hate Claire (hated her in RE2, also), Steve was even worse, Chris was woefully underused, and the stuff with the Ashfords, Wesker and the T-virus being a whole lot older than the events from Spencer mansion is when the series' plot went full retard.

RE4 I still liked though, played the piss out of it. I played the first RE back when it came out, even used to own it in the big silly old PS1 case the games came in for a while. RE4 was refreshing by the time it came out, and a second Leon appearance was long overdue.

Then RE5 sucked, never bothered with anything since then.

>> No.2250035

>>2249354
Aren't they porting this to the Behind the Mask engine now?

>> No.2250689

>>2249719
One can only hope...

>>2250035
i havent followed this much. if they are then cool. if they arent still cool because shits still happening

>> No.2250738

>>2250689
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNccYRHNEzs
It can only make development faster.

>> No.2250951
File: 23 KB, 600x600, 1410587009086.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2250738
Well at least theyre doing it. im only good at taking shit apart in vidya. rebuilding isnt my thing.
>tfw they could sneak some shit into there and hide it
>tfw i could find it
and thus the cycle begins anew