[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 329 KB, 850x1186, flyer1big.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2213985 No.2213985 [Reply] [Original]

I miss going to the local arcade and find an awesome new cabinet like pic related. By the mid 90's everything was either a fighting game, a lazy looking racing game that was more about graphics them the experience, or the occasional shmup or sports-like game. Then later came all those rhythm games that I was to lazy and uncoordinated to bother trying

Why did the arcade scene have to die, /vr/?

>> No.2214025
File: 62 KB, 640x480, r360open.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2213985
Those deluxe arcade machines cost a fortune and customers had to pay like $5 each. Arcade manufacturers made more money with smaller machines.

The arcade scene died in the US because not enough people go out to play games in public and arcades are niche. However if marketed correctly restaurants like Dave&Busters can be successful and still have some arcade games. I too miss the days when developers took risks and new tech was exciting.

>> No.2214030

They lost the lead in technology. People want to make it more complicated than that, but that's the simple and basically correct explanation.