[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 12 KB, 560x407, i dont know.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2208241 No.2208241 [Reply] [Original]

I just started getting into the retro scene and something has been bothering me. Do you all leave your games in your consoles or take them out? Seems like if you left them in it would keep dust and shit from getting on the contacts. Is there any drawback to leaving carts in the consoles?

>> No.2208250

I leave mine in,it might bend the contacts permanently if you left it in for a super long time maybe but not really worth worrying about

>> No.2208254

>>2208241
I always put my games away.

>> No.2208290

>>2208250
That's what I thought. If you left them in to long that it would permanently bend the contacts out and make it harder for the console to detect the game.

>> No.2208298

>>2208290
My guess would be that putting in and taking out a game repeatedly bends and wears out contacts quicker than just leaving it in.

>> No.2208306

>>2208241
I leave them in, there is no sense in taking a cart or disk out if I haven't finished the game yet.
Then again I prefer not to worry about damaging a product that is meant to be used. Book lovers always hate me for breaking the spines...

>> No.2208314

>>2208241

for things like the n64 and snes, the damage your pin connectors get from contract with moisture and dust is worse than the "bending" factor. so keep your games in, it keeps the connections clean.

sauce:
me, i've gone through hundreds of cart based consoles (game shop), and usually you had to replace the pin connectors because of corrosion

>> No.2208343

>>2208314
>>2208306
>>2208298
>>2208254
>>2208250

Thanks gents.

>> No.2208394

>>2208306
>breaking the spines...

You complete monter

>> No.2208498

>>2208241
No.

The computer you're using at least has RAM installed in the same manner if not other cards (or, if it's old you have one of those cool CPUs that looks like a cartridge). Computers built before any console did this as well and have done them since. It is the same principle using the same technology, it was designed to be modular.

The contacts bend at the most a few millimeters, and copper, unless heated well beyond normal computer operating temperature limits, even as thin as it is (and moving as slightly as it does), will not so easily change shape as with most modern metals.

If anything constant removal and installation of cartridges causes MORE damage. This is at least true of springs for instance: you can expand, compress or allow a spring to maintain it's normal shape and it'll be every bit as strong as it ever was. But compress and decompress it thousands of times and it'll be far weaker.

>>2208314
>moisture and dust is worse
Dust isn't that big of a deal. Dust prevents proper contact and insulates components causing them undue heat as they need to over-perform to keep up as regular. You can clean dust off easily enough-- worse though, yeah, it's definitely more of a concern that "bending"

Moisture however shouldn't be a big deal. If you can't see any moisture on the cartridge then it's no biggie. The biggest problem with liquid at all is it can allow conduction between two things that shouldn't touch. You could just as well take a room-temperature cartridge, dunk it in water, let it completely dry off over time and it'd work just as well as it ever did assuming no water was still in there. Your worst worry there is the label will look nasty.

If anyone has to worry about their cartridges getting moisture they should have a very noticeable hole in their wall they'd do well to worry more over than "bending".