[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.19 MB, 2968x1725, 1400288649591.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2202641 No.2202641 [Reply] [Original]

What are the downsides to playing PS1 games on a PS2 using Popstarter or whatever? I own a PS1 but the laser isn't as good anymore and I'm getting stutters and freezes and what not.

My PS2 has an HDD attached to it so using it might be a good solution to read errors.

>> No.2203590

Not sure if troll thread or not, but if I recall correctly, you can't play PSX games on PS2 if you have the HDD installed.

>> No.2203596

>>2203590
Because I've got nothing better to do than troll imageboards. Yes, you can play using the HDD with POPstarter, or at the very least play from a USB.

>> No.2203853

It can be hit or miss depending on the game. There's a big compatibility list out there for the HDD support in v13 thankfully, so check that out first I'd say (Though they've got SotN working since I last checked, which is nice, since they had issues with CDDA games) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkthiKwj1VJMdFIzb3NuOWU2eWZqUDNwVl9uTzFPTGc#gid=0

Main thing to note, is that since this is still using POPS, it has support for the versions of POPS that are used on the PSP. By putting certain files in certain locations (It's been long enough I forget where, but it should be covered somewhere in the dev's thread) some games will be more compatible. It's how I got text to display correctly on Front Mission 2 for example.

>> No.2203858

>>2202641
>What are the downsides to playing PS1 games on a PS2 using Popstarter or whatever?

Are you referring to your own "procured" ROMs?

1. put in legit PS1 game
2. wait for after the "PS" emblem
3. switch game for your ROM

Anyway the PS2 makes PS1 games look better using the texture smoothener available when you press the triangle button to access the disc drive settings.

>> No.2204368

>>2202641
>What are the downsides to playing PS1 games on a PS2 using Popstarter or whatever?

The big downside is that the games are emulated.

As opposed to using the PS2's built-in compatibility (which only works with discs).