[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 100 KB, 525x339, 48484.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2199801 No.2199801[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do modern kids think of retro games? Like ten and under.

>> No.2199806

Why don't you tell us?

>> No.2199809

That they're too hard.

>> No.2199816

>>2199801
The younger the better. 3-4 year olds will play retro games over modern console games almost every time because the controls are simpler. Touch-screen games being the exception.

>> No.2199824

>>2199801
My nephews are fascinated by Splatterhouse. Whenever I see them, they make me play it on my phone. I'm probably warping their minds.

>> No.2199838

>>2199801
Along with some modern consoles like the Play Station 3 and the Wii i have also a NES which i use play Megaman with a friend when he visits, the deal is that when my 9 year old nephew comes and play with us, he just sucks and start saying that the graphics are shit, then he ask to play the PS3.

>> No.2199841

I have a couple cabs and a pinball machine in my basement that my neices/nephews could for the most part not give a shit about. They would much rather play angry birds and fruit ninja on a tablet.

I don't really "get it" but thats okay. It means less sticky hands and wear on my games.

>> No.2199843

I'm eighteen and, while my brother had a PS1, for the most part my gaming experience began with the PS2 and Gamecube.

For as long as I can remember I've loved retro gaming. 9-Volt in Warioware and watching Icons on G4 were hype inducing. When I was hospitalized at age 8 I remember being super happy the hospital had a N64. I got to play Dr Mario and DK64 for the first time.

When I got a computer my eyes were opened even more. I made it my goal to collect video games when I became an adult. I brought a N64, GBC, and a Dreamcast when I was in middle school but for the most part I'm waiting until I've moved out and gotten a good job to start my actual collection.

>>2199816

I wouldn't let my children play video games until they're 5. The first few years of life are a precious time where the brain is developing. They should be playing with toys, doing art, reading, or generally doing something besides watching tv.

I think starting a kid off with simple games like 2600 or maybe easy NES games is a good idea, especially if they can't read well.

>> No.2199892

>>2199801
>What do modern kids think of retro games? Like ten and under.
It's a hit or miss, usually anything from the 90's and up is welcome, with some exceptions of course.
I let my niece play with a few games and old consoles and she was attracted by platformers and quite curiously SHMUPS, she also prefer computer games to console games but I think that's mainly because they have fancier graphics compared to consoles.

It also really depends on the kid more than the game, usually spoiled kids will not consider those games whereas more open minded kids won't give two shits and play them without problems.

>> No.2199898
File: 68 KB, 516x417, 1369422326101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My brother started playing Megaman 3 and he couldn't even get past Magnet Man. That's what my brother thinks of retro games.

>> No.2199905

>>2199801
My kid like both modern and retro equally. I'm cool with that.