[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 10 KB, 512x480, ankoku2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2191204 No.2191204 [Reply] [Original]

Have you fetishized certain aspects retro games or the consoles themselves? If so, which parts?

I love the sound of old chip music or even more advanced music like on the SNES. I enjoy well done pixel art and low poly models even if nowadays there's games which look ultra realistic or some would argue, objectively better. The limitations of older games is what makes me like them. I enjoy the 2d-ness and simplicity of 2d games. With the music they didn't have a lot to work with but sometimes they were able to make something completely amazing with few sound channels they had, etc.

Also, the tactile feel of putting in a cart into the console and booting it up is enjoyable. I love the fuzzy glow of CRTs in comparison to the cold, clinical, but accurate quality of high definition flat screens.

>> No.2191234
File: 56 KB, 550x445, hammster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2191204
Sometimes i masturbate to the image of a 80´s nerdy teen girl rubbing her clit against an NES.

>> No.2191246

I'm hopelessly obsessed with attachments, peripherals and oddball hardware in general. Cross platform compatibility addons, CD drives, modems, infrared adapters, asciipads, arcade sticks, lightguns, the whole lot.

>> No.2191317

>>2191234
Source?

>> No.2191334

>>2191234
you can't drop that and leave, come on.

>> No.2191348

>>2191234
holy shit its Virtua Hamster!

>> No.2191374
File: 514 KB, 500x1716, 500px-Pearl_Fey_-_DD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2191204

What are you doing with Pearl haircut, Maya?

>> No.2191395
File: 402 KB, 1133x1600, easy-money.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2191204
Funnily enough, hcg101 et al and now /vr/ have wiped out my nostalgia almost entirely. The two factors combined - readily available, widely discussable nostalgic objects and an incredible number of retro games I haven't played as a child which are absolutely great - have numbed the sense of nostalgia.

Simply put, my modern experience with games, including retro games, is so much richer that my experiences as a child simply don't compare. I used to be nostalgic for Mortal Kombat 2... but now I can play the arcade version... online. I used to be nostalgic for Darkwing Duck, but now I've played all Mega Man games in a row and I just can't take DW seriously anymore. I used to like PS1 Final Fantasy games, but now I've experienced Dragon Quest. I used to like Sonic games, but now I've played so many exquisite platformers that Sonic games simply don't compare. No gaming experience from my NES, Megadrive or PlayStation days can even remotely compare with my MAME experiences.

Back in the days I played what gaming mags told me to play. AAAs of the times, mostly. Today I play Neo-Geo masterpieces and hand-picked, pallette-refreshing PCE curiosities. Gaming as a kid in the 90s is nothing compared to gaming as an adult in the 2010s.

>> No.2191407

>>2191395
awesome post and nice writing

>> No.2191426
File: 53 KB, 640x400, Jongborg Suzume.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PC-88 colors. Sometimes I'll take a break and just count the visible colors to see if it's really just 8.
PC-98 as well but it's harder to keep track since it's 16 colors.

>> No.2191487

>>2191374
>Those feet

every fucking time PW, brb

>> No.2191813

>>2191487

The feet are great, but god damn the knees are incredible. The PW artist made me discover knee fetish.

>> No.2191980

>>2191395
This guy would be the ultimate /vr/ experience if he weren't kind of shitting on Playatation, which is a real contender for greatest ever console.

>> No.2191994
File: 73 KB, 636x647, front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Case cover art.
>3d poorly textured blobs
>amazingly detailed drawings
>over the top laser robot fights
>cool pilot in a flying aircraft
>unknown c-list actors looking back at an explosion
>those ibm tandy requirements sticker some of the scans have

Honestly, every time I decide to try out some new DOS game I haven't played before I just end up browsing my collection and looking at the pictures

>> No.2192427

I have always loved 8-bit graphics, long before it was considered hipster.

The NES was the first exposure I had to video games. Just the way it looked and sounded was magical to me. It didn't look like anything I had seen on TV or movies or books.

In fact, I remember getting a Super Nintendo bundled with Super Mario All-Stars and being disappointed that SMB didn't look and sound like the NES version. The SNES graphics and sounds felt so soulless to me.

I know this makes me sound like a hipster today, but this is 1991 when I was 6 or 7 years old. I hate that you're not allowed to use simple pixels today without being accused of being a lazy, nostalgic artist.

>> No.2192430

I love the sound of cartridges clattering against each other when you have a big pile of them.

>> No.2192434

>>2191395
This is true, but there is also a sense of innocence lost that I wish I could get back. For example, as a kid I would believe that the explorable game area was only 20% of the "real" world and if I could just break past the borders there would be a huge free expanse with new towns and stuff. As an adult I realize that a game dev would never have programmed that in. I definitely am playing better games than I was as a kid, but having such insight on genre patterns and dev habits has removed me from the experience a bit.

>> No.2192445

>>2192434
Oh god this. I wanted to get past the western checkpoint so bad in Breath of Fire 3. I thought there was a whole world out there.

>> No.2193116
File: 353 KB, 786x589, 484256_10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really like the instruction manuals and concept art of older games. Especially 8-bit games, when games were not graphically advanced enough to have detailed character designs, so the manual artist often went wild with their depictions of the game's characters. Nowadays, they just use CGI renders for everything.

>> No.2193139

>>2192434

Oh fuck this resonates with me. I used to stare at the map screen from Final Fantasy and think of the wonders I'd find in the remote parts of the map. I remember I couldn't get past Garland for the longest time. This was a time where I didn't even speak English so bear with me. I remember the first time I crossed the bridge and I was like "fuck yeah unto new adventures".

>> No.2193151

>>2193116
>Nowadays, they just use CGI renders for everything.

In the rare instance that the game actually has a manual